101 Brasserie and Bar
101 Portland Street
Manchester, M1 6DFNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
101 Brasserie and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-townhouse-hotel/eat-drink/101-brasserie/
- Phone: 0161 236 5122
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Private Room, Wine
A word from 101 Brasserie and Bar
Moments from Manchester’s theatres and shops in the very centre of the North’s favourite city, the 101 Brasserie and Bar combines upmarket restaurant style dining with an informal but sophisticated bar. Facing out towards Portland Street, the long, curving bar of the 101 is a spot where people watching, after work cocktails or catch-ups with friends are enjoyed in cosy booths or on comfortable sofas. While the Lounge menu offers lovely light bites and delicious cakes and pastries to be enjoyed alongside your beer, wine, tea or coffee, more substantial meals are enjoyed in the chic restaurant seating. Overseen by head chef Tim Lewis, the 101 Brasserie menu is based around the best of the North West, much of the produce sourced personally by Tim himself. The kitchen’s ethos is entirely concerned with simple, uncomplicated dishes in which the individual flavours of top quality ingredients are encouraged to shine through.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
101 Brasserie and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since 27 November 2013
pre/post theatre (5)romance (1)outstanding value (1)business meals (1)Show More
- NEVER AGAIN......AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!iansDined on 31/12/2013tried to get us to pay £60pp for a 8 course set menu when a full menu was advertised. the manager basically accused me of lying about not receiving a call/voicemail glad I left the half empty restaurant to go to a warm and friendly yang sing across the road. we still spent £60pp on a lovely Chinese meal but I was not being ordered to pay for something would rather choose my food. NEVER AGAIN..... AVOID!!!!!!!
- Outstanding serviceBernardhDined on 19/12/2013Despite the fact that there had been a mix up re this booking we were made to feel very welcome. The service was outstanding and the food was very good, delicious and on a cold December evening hot. I would recommend this restaurant unreservedly.The maître d was great , witty without being intrusive. It was only after the meal that we found out that Top Table should not have accepted the booking as the restaurant was closed that evening. We thought it quiet because of the very early booking for pre theatreSpecial Features:
- Will ReturnVSOLDined on 18/12/2013We had the "wine and dine" deal, two courses and a bottle of wine, £30-amazing value. The food was well cooked and tasted delicious. Staff were very attentive but not overly intrusive. Overall a great dining experience in very pleasant surroundings. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good servicePretheatergriffinDined on 1/12/2013This was a pre theatre meal booked for my Nan's birthday, the meal, service, atmosphere were all great - we were the only diners in the restaurant which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 283 reviews are from the 101 Brasserie and Bar reviews archive.
- Good ValueKcmrVIPDined on 23/11/2013Food was outstanding, staff friendly and helpful. Could not fault a thing. Highly recommended A+++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodLcole85Dined on 9/11/2013Went here for a birthday meal and did the wine and dine offer. The food was amazing, great service couldn't fault anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited 101 on a Saturday,2flintdinersDined on 2/11/2013We visited 101 on a Saturday, arriving at the time we had booked through Top Table. However, the manager was not expecting us and, despite there being plenty of space, seated us somewhat grudgingly. The couple in front of us had the same experience. The 2 courses plus wine "offer" menu was very limited and we were encouraged to take a side dish at extra cost. We chose new potatoes, because the description of our main courses specified only cabbage. New potatoes were not available, so we chose chips and then found that our dishes included mashed potato. Surely we could have been told that! The food itself, though well cooked, was plain. The restaurant area was smartly furnished, but was open to the large bar area, which was very noisy.
- The staff provided a warmLBrettDined on 28/10/2013The staff provided a warm welcome and were very polite and professional. The food was amazing value and we had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Disappointing birthday dinnerFoodieFanDined on 26/10/2013We took my brother here for a birthday dinner. Although we booked through Toptable, they were not aware of our booking. The menu was MUCH shorter than that on the website, only 4 choices per course on the a la carte, some of which overlapped with the set menu. I asked if the pork was cooked slowly, and therefore tender, and the waitress said it was. It arrived undercooked, so had to be sent back as I'm not happy with medium rare pork.. The ribeye steak was apparently good, though 'buttered' new potatoes were quite dry. The ambience of the restaurant was good, nicely busy on a Saturday evening, and the decor was lovely, but food was rather disappointing.
- No serviceSandyDined on 26/10/2013We arrived for our booking to be told be the waiter that there had been problems recently with booking via TopTable. This we accepted and a small IT glitch and the waiter offered us a seat in the bar area whilst he sorted a table. We were told this wouldn't be a problem as it was fairly quiet, which we could see for ourselves, and that someone would come over to take our drinks order. We then sat and waited for over 20 minutes with not even passing eye contact made from the staff there. No drinks order was taken at all and we noticed a couple who came in after us that 101 appeared to have a similar issue with. We left then as the meal was booked as a pre theatre meal and we almost then didn't have time to eat before out show started.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningJCB1Dined on 23/10/2013Quiet in the restaurant, which was fine by us. Nice easy ambience between formal and informal, although it might not seem so great if the bar got noisy (which it didn't on the Thursday night we were there). Food was good and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wicked pre-theatre mealEasydinerDined on 19/10/2013The restricted menu for pre theatre offer offered a reasonable choice of dishes. The butter and potato soup was rich, creamy and very tasty. It was accompanies by a very fresh tasting piece of crusty white bread that was excellent. We had the pork cutlet which was cooked very well and served with savoy cabbage and on a bed of creamy mash potato - very nice indeed!. We decided to add to the two courses on the deal and my wife had the crème Brule served with a buttery piece of Scottish shortbread and was delightful. The half bottle of house red that accompanied the food as part of the deal was light, fruity and easy on the palette. The staff were welcoming, very helpful and efficient serving without rushing usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Impressions...Mj83Dined on 5/10/2013First Impression about the 101 Brasserie was that it was a well very presented restaurant and accommodating especially when we had booked very last minute. Overall the evening was good but there are a few critiques:- The specials menu was very limited as there was only a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. Abit more choice would have been nice. We ordered espressos but didn't get any sugar with it. Very minor I know but it's a given that you have sugar with a hot beverage. We were handed the bill before we'd requested it then half an hour later, still no one had come to collect it so ended up leaving the money and walking out. All in all it was a pleasant evening and I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous food, beautifullyItabtDined on 5/10/2013Gorgeous food, beautifully presented, in a relaxed atmosphere. Service was excellent and I would thoroughly recommend.Special Features:
- Amazingism1808Dined on 27/9/2013That's the only way I can describe the food from here. I had the chicken that came on a bed of mushroom salad, the chicken breast was very tasty and juicy, the skin still remained on the breast which was so crispy and sweet the whole dish just complimented each other. I also ordered a side of homemade chips and the only way to describe it was that chips and potato wedges have made love and this is their babies they was just the delicious with abit of the peel remaining on the chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food but tiny portions...LornaDined on 21/9/2013We visited 101 Brassierie on a Saturday evening, lovely ambience but wasn't very busy and service was very good (attentive but not in your face). Choice from menu was limited as we ate off the special menu (£19.50 each for two courses and a half bottle of wine pp). Food was beautifully cooked & presented but tiny portions, wine very acceptable even though it was part of the offer. Would try the A la carte menu next time as we did have to visit the kebab shop later as three of us were still hungry : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food. Portions smallnattynooDined on 7/9/2013Beautiful food. Portions small but ample when ordered with side dishes. Excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCallahanaDined on 27/8/2013Good value set meal but small portions, strange setting in the lobby of a hotel (no atmosphere) and uncomfortably warm. Service very friendly.Special Features:
- DeliciousNellyDined on 17/8/2013My mum and I booked a table before going to the Theatre, the service and food was faultless and the evening was most enjoyable. The staff were very attentive and the batman was chatty, really friendly. I would definitely book again. If the staff in the restaurant were anything to go by then I would seriously consider booking into the hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dealHioctaneorangeVIPDined on 10/8/2013Went for the 2 course deal with wine included & enjoyed some very tasy dishes, (if a little on the small side), from the deal menu. Ended up adding pudding as well, which was also tasty. Reasonable value if you go for a deal - pricier from the a la carte with wine on the top...Special Features:
- We ate prior to a theaterABA1Dined on 10/8/2013We ate prior to a theater visit, the food was lovely but the restaurant was very quiet and so lacked a bit of ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant! Service and foodkiwikatchDined on 6/8/2013Brilliant! Service and food were both top notch. Will be back! Compliments to the chef - cod was absolutely x outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal dealmaterialg2012Dined on 27/7/2013We had the meal deal 2courses and bottle of wine. Food very good, the only downside was the starter was very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIXED PRICE MEALFREDADined on 20/7/2013FOUND THE TWO COURSES FOR £12 TO BE GOOD VALUE. THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, AND THE STAFF FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value special offerNBukDined on 6/7/2013We went here on a wine and dine offer and I would definately recommend it. The food and wine were great and the waiters were lovely. The restaurant is to the side of the hotel lobby and bar so it is more a place for informal dining than for the romantic night out. I would definately recommend this place for pre theatre or post shopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and very goodpcbowieDined on 3/7/2013Very good food and very good service. A little hard to find as it isn't very well signposted. It is part of the hotel but not obvious. Staff were very accommodating of our 4 year old who dined with us. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant & greatJoHOHOHOVIPDined on 22/6/2013Lovely restaurant & great service. We loved the food and the staff were absolutely fabulous - highly recommend!Special Features:
- excellent ! will be backLeanneG81Dined on 15/6/2013fantastic value: fabulous food and polite , helpful staff.I couldn't have asked for more :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 101 brasserie Macdonalds TownhouseLoveFoodVIPDined on 13/6/2013The meal deal was good value for money but think it would be overly expensive to go a la carte particularly on the wine front. Very good attentive service but the restaurant was not busy. With being in a hotel the ambience was a bit lacking but very stylish surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked 101 Brasserie & BargoodfoodloverDined on 7/6/2013I booked 101 Brasserie & Bar as a treat for my partners Birthday, we booked on the lunchtime special Menu. The Food was amazing & tasty I had the pork belly to start & my partner had the Sweet potato soup both where delicious. For our mains I had the Corn fed chicken which was presented lovely & tasted as good as it looked, my partner had the Cod which was delicious ( I had food envy when I saw his plate & even more so when I tasted it!!) Even though we where fairly full we each had a dessert we had the warm orange cake & the pistachio cake again where lovely. The service was very good, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealJNE01Dined on 24/5/2013Booking through Top Table meant we were entitled to a set price meal. Upon checking the menu we decided to go with that and so received two courses and half a bottle of wine for £19 pp. The restaurant had a warm atmosphere with friendly staff. The food was excellent and so in value for money terms it was beyond outstanding. Will most definitely visit again when in Manchester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okfoodiesDined on 17/5/2013we dined on the 17th May for anniversary and were overall disappointed. I ordered Leek and potato soup and my husband ordered belly pork. The belly pork was delicious but small in quantity. the soup was watery and came will a cracker sliced into two pieces. For mains my husband had Steak which he paid a supplement and chips. No veg unless paid extra. I had chicken which was dry, mashed potatoes which tasted as though they had been mashed will skimmed milk and wilted spinach. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The wine was nice and the service was good. I think that they need to give some consideration to the menu and the food choices, If the food was better, accompanied by the excellent service this would be a top rated restaurant
- BrilliantPeteDined on 19/4/2013Had a brilliant meal the meal deal they have for two courses and half a bottle of wine with the food they serve I don't know how they make a profit really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent value lunchJonLDined on 30/3/2013My wife and I pre-booked a table for lunch, taking adavantage of the £19.50/person 2-course deal which included a bottle of wine. There was a good choice on the menu, excellent quality, well presented and more than ample portions. It was a Saturday lunchtime so the restaurant was quiet but that suited us. All in all, an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, Amazing service!SteffanWalesDined on 23/3/2013Booked this restaurant's wine and dine offer for our trip to Manchester last weekend, based on their tripadvisor reviews and what a great place! Situated in the Macdonald hotel, this intimate restaurant offers amazing food (we both had the pork belly starter, which literally melted in the mouth, and the meaty Skrie cod main course) With warm, professional waiter service to match. The offer came with a bottle of house wine, but we both had cocktails to start (kudos to the barman who made what we wanted, even though it wasn't on the menu). We were too full for desert but saw some that went to another table and they looked incredible!! Already booked in again - this time for lunch next week!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 101 BrasserieJr1212Dined on 16/3/2013Had some difficulty finding the restaurant as even the manchester taxi didn't seem to know where it were. The food was to die for, the starter was small, and we were worried we would leave the restaurant hungry, however we were unable to finish our main meals as nice as they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent foodLikeindianDined on 12/3/2013This place had decent food, but the service was really bad and it lacked athmosphere. Ok value with TT offer, but I wouldn't go back again.
- Late late lateartymartyDined on 16/2/2013The food was good when you finaly got it, not great just good. The waitress thought that a bottle of white wine was similar to a full bodied red! Our reservation was for 7.30pm we cancled desert which we were still waiting for at 10.15 pm. Before you ask 'no it wasn't full to bursting'. So if you want to spend the whole evening waiting up to a hour between courses this is the place for you.
- Not impressedUss5Dined on 9/2/2013Very little atmosphere. Lamb dish was delicious but steak does not come with any sides and the waiter did not bother to inform us. Steak presented on a plate with no potatoes or vegetables! Think that should have been picked up on when we ordered! Also steak not cooked as ordered, overdone.
- A great food findWeezyDined on 1/2/2013Wow what a jem of fine dining. Difficult to find and quiet. Staff very attentive especially Thomas. The food was amazing and we were able to take our time. Good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.