131 The Promenade
131 The Promenade
Cheltenham, GL50 1NWNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
131 The Promenade
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.131promenade.com/
- Phone: 01242822939
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 10am, 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
Friday: 8am - 10am, 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Saturday: 8am - 4pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday: 8am - 4pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Antony Ely
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch
A word from 131 The Promenade
Regency town house building in the centre of Cheltenham with English restaurant and bars and 11 boutique bedrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
131 The Promenade - Best restaurants in Cheltenham ›
131 The Promenade reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since 27 May 2014
special occasions (49)romance (28)fit for foodies (28)business meals (19)brunch (15)sunday lunch (15)pre/post theatre (15)group bookings (14)afternoon tea (10)outdoor eating (8)child friendly (4)good vegetarian options (3)outstanding value (1)Show More
- Pleasantly surprisednmb353Dined on 4/9/2014I had been told that the service was slow, but when we went this was definitely not the case. The tuna sashimi was outstanding! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- 131 Promenade DisappointingJobiDined on 30/8/2014We had a table booked and were kept waiting for 20 minutes before being shown to our places. I stress "places" since it was a bench with other diners, this had not been explained to us at the time of booking a "table". My Osso Bucco seemed to be very "tired" and was not at all a classic melt in the mouth experience. My wife ordered sea bass and that turned up burnt. My son ordered sides of chips and spinach which turned up 10 minutes after his steak. My wife was offered cod fillet as a replacement dish to her burnt sea bass, which therefore turned up after my son and myself had finished eating, the fillet had not been completely boned! In mitigation the assistant manager did apologise profusely and reduced our bill.Special Features:
- Very Good!A1DinerVIPDined on 21/8/2014Both the food and the service was very good and I would recommend 131 for Lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 131PrincipeDined on 20/8/2014Well the place looks great and the service is super but the food is far from good..... Ordered a RibEye off the bone steak and it was like rubber sent it back and the same again.... the meat was far from top quality as suggested by the prices. All and all I wouldn't go there again for food but a nice place.
- Great eveningbradders47Dined on 8/8/2014We have passed 131 on the way into Cheltenham on numerous occasions since it opened and thought that we should pay a visit. Well, we did and it was fantastic. From the pre dinner drinks served with knowledge and a smile through to the car and attention paid to us as we dined, the whole evening was greatSpecial Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Excellent food, great service and ambience! Definitely will be back, thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 131 the Prom - saturday suppernoshnotesDined on 19/7/2014great venue not matched by service (friendly but slow) or food (hit and miss - overcooked chicken but lovely pigeon). Would go again.Special Features:
- Most Fabulous place in CheltenhamCheltenhamhotspotsDined on 7/7/2014What a great new addition to the town - Vibrant, cool, chic environment and delicious food; without being pretentious - what a deadly combination!Special Features:
- 131 The Promenade - Crazy 8'sDaddlesDined on 19/6/2014Wonderful ambience, friendly and helpful staff who know their menu and drinks very well. Stunning meal and fantastic lounge area to sit back and relax post meal with family and friends.,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for Improvement !DiningoutdollDined on 6/6/2014Fabulous setting, beautiful decor. The tables are very small & cramped this might be why food is seved on small plates ! The menu is board & appealing although charging for bread is a joke. We were diverted downstairs to the bar for pre dinner drinks, it took 20 mins of waving at bar staff to get served ! The restaurant staff were more efficient, polite & keen to please. Our food was ok but not great. Steaks were grissly and the lemon sole lacked taste. The sauces were delicious though and the asparagus starter was great. Nice wine - over priced all round. Hate the "mums &.dads" coffee cups. The lighting was way too dim! Generally 131 has a lovely vibe but the basics should be so much better. A lesson in style over substance.Special Features:
- GarethDined on 31/5/2014Why do restaurants insist on assuming you're happy to pay a tip in the guise of Service charge? How often is a tip left on top of the service charge! service was a little slow both at the bar and food delivery. Steak was good but not the best ever but was the most I've paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlfredoDined on 31/5/2014They've done a beautiful job of the refurbishment. The food was absolutely delicious. The service was a little hit and miss. For example, the starters arrived very quickly (possibly too quickly!) but the drink I ordered as an aperitif didn't arrive until I had nearly finished the starter. Nothing major. Just a bit of fine tuning required to make it a '5 star' experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- plutoDined on 26/5/2014excellent meat beef cooked outstandingly, puddings flavoursome and original. Atmosphere made good by staff when mort busy.Special Features:
- Over pricedKnowsgoodfoodDined on 25/5/2014For the price of the meal I would expect exceptional food, which it wasn't. The steak was great because it was chargrilled, but overpriced.The carrots were over cooked and the spinach was watery. My starter of tuna tartare was ok but not very well presented and my husbands squid was under seasoned. I would expect it to be exceptional for the price we paid, not mediocre. The service was great and the place has been tastefully furnished.
- Over pricedAnonDined on 24/5/2014We really enjoyed our food and the venue was great, however we felt the steaks in particular were very expensive. My husband had the second cheapest steak which was £26 and didn't come with any chips or veg.. Not even any garnish. A lot to pay for a piece of meat. Wines too were also quite pricey. All in all a fun evening but over priced.Special Features:
- Poor serviceByronDined on 24/5/2014Three for lunch on Saturday . Not full . Not busy . Having taken our order , two of which were cold fish, we had a long wait and then only two meals one hot food one cold fish arrived. Long wait for third meal which was a dozen oysters. Then an order of fries failed to materialise . The waitress had forgotten to order them. So overall poor service from an expensive restaurant . Beautiful building ,ambience and location . This was our four visit and can say service getting worse.Special Features:
- Great steaks!FoodieDined on 18/5/2014Our party of four was seated at a very small table, so small we couldn't get side plates, main plates and glasses on the table simultaneously. Waiter was very helpful but it was an uncomfortable squash. Two mix-ups with the food wasn't great. We were missing two side dishes for half of the meal. However, the food was very good. Tasty, interesting and well cooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - food disappointingSurfnirvanaDined on 10/5/2014We all felt very welcome when we first arrived at this beautiful Regency building and were warmly greeted by the Doorman, and reception. We were shown to the bar downstairs, but it was full, so came back upstairs and sat in the lounge and had some Cocktails. The dining area has a real buzz about it and the menu catered for everyone with the bias on steaks and seasonal produce. The starters were good, but the mains courses - although very well presented, were not seasoned enough and all of us felt were quite bland. We were expecting the food to be delicious, but for all of us it was just OK, which was rather disappointing. Not sure we would return as there are plenty of other restaurants in Cheltenham to try next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not outstandingSpeaks1975Dined on 4/5/2014Service was very slow 3 times had to find the waitress to order or chase items. My bread never arrived despite chasing for it twice. My starter and main was nice portions average the side portions very small asparagus equated to about 3 stems! 2 courses each with bottle of wine water coffee and one dessert wine was £160 which is expensive for what it was and the quality (we had steaks) I have been for Sunday lunch which is better value and afternoon tea. Drinks in bar very pricey also and door man was rude until established we had a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodgoodfoodDined on 4/5/2014A lovely meal. Felt a little under pressure to order, eat and leave as table was needed in 1.5 hours. This might put me off If I was celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Frantically busy but very goodkgJanDined on 3/5/2014We were there during the Jazz Festival, on the evening that Jamie Cullum did a DJ set downstairs. We were warned that it would be busy and it was! Nonetheless the food was very good and the ambience very nice indeed. The service suffered a little at times because it was so busy, but did not take the shine off a very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible so not worth the moneyFoodie4everDined on 3/5/2014Were seated at 610 and restaurant was empty although we were told no other times available. No atmosphere at all. Ordered from set menu, starter ok, flat iron steak was disgusting and I only had a few mouthfuls! Cooked really rare as this was recommended but no flavour at all and extremely tough and chewy! Duck fat fries were akin to a fast food chain (but not as tasty). Didn't order desert as was so unimpressed. Wine was ok but very overpriced as was set menu which was £18 for 2 courses. I will never return and will not recommend this restaurant.
- fun evening with great foodcolzDined on 2/5/2014Staff were knowledgeable and great fun. Food was excellent, particularly the steaks. Ambience was relaxed and friendly. All the right ingredients for a most enjoyable evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good restaurantJBMGDined on 2/5/2014Overall our meal at 131 was good, the food was excellent and we had a great table at the front of the building. However there were just two minor issues - for a posh restaurant it seemed strange to have people sitting near us eating at the bar, it seemed rather cramped. Also for the money we were paying the service was no better than an average restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steakLovemyfoodDined on 18/4/2014The food was outstanding, I'd definitely recommend the fillet steak and beef dripping chips. Our waitress wasn't the friendliest but on the whole the service was good. It's not the cheapest but definitely worth it for the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGreedynatDined on 18/4/2014I booked 10 days in advance, unfortunately we were seated in what I call the "last resort" table....you know the one squashed in a corner that no one would choose to sit in. Wouldn't have been so bad had they not seated another couple right next to us, so close that when the waitress was taking our order her bum was literally in the mans face. The waitress was such a let down, we waited 20 minutes after the initial water offering until the sommelier eventually noticed that we were without wine and aske if we wanted to order. The waitress was too busy looking after the 2 tables who arrived after us, no recommendations on the menu or attempt at being personal was made. Service standards need serious reconsidering, ruined the experience!Special Features:
- Very good but...Diner53Dined on 5/4/2014We dined on Saturday evening and the restaurant was very busy when we arrived. We were promptly shown to our table and the welcome was pleasant as was the service. I had been disappointed to find we had only been given a 90 minute "slot" but as we only had two courses this was sufficient time - had we wanted dessert I'm not so sure. All the food we had was very well cooked but the overall cost was quite high given the style of the food. Most disappointing of all was the situation of our table which was in the middle of the room and we were therefore in the "thoroughfare" for both waiting staff and other guests moving from place to place.
- CrampedEgonDined on 4/4/2014Majority of tables are along a long bench with just enough room to squeeze between so you are right up along side other diners either side. Tables are tiny with hardly enough room to hold wine & water if you choose to keep a side plate and bread on the table. Waitress had to take away the bread basket to fit the £3 a shot veggies on the table. Med/rare fillet was served medium. We specifically requested a table with seats not along the bench when we booked but that was ignored.
- 131TurbotDined on 29/3/2014Very disappointing. My lamb was not very good in fact I left over half of it, neither was my desert. The other 3 of a party had steak which they described as ok. We would not go back. Such a shame as it is lovely venue.
- Good location and great decor.julesDined on 29/3/2014Good location and great decor. Prices are a little high for what best described as a bistro menu rather than fine dining, but service and overall amibience very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serve me betterPaulBDined on 20/3/2014131's first contact with me was an automated message telling me that my party had 90 minutes to vacate our table - not very welcoming! Well let me tell you that if that's your policy, you had better up your service levels! Nice food spoilt by poor service is my summation. Also, what were you thinking trying to seat an obvious business party of 6 in an open bar area. It was obvious that we were going to want to converse 'in confidence' - thank you for reseating us. You need to be a lot more attentive. I will not hurry back.
- Saturday afternoonByronDined on 15/3/2014We arrived and were immediately made welcome. A very relaxed atmosphere.We had booked as this was our first visit but Saturday brunch wasn't a busy time. The menu was good with a wide range of different dishes and portion sizes . My wife chose a small portion which was perfect for her. The wine list is extensive but a tad over priced . There is a less formal restaurant downstairs which served similar food and had a more tapas bar feel. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentHmc91Dined on 14/3/2014Great Service, Excellent food, cant wait for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Tuna!KnickDined on 13/3/2014Well constructed menu, great atmosphere and attentive service - not for the faint hearted perhaps but definitely worth a visit (and re-visit). Tuna carpaccio starter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunch treat!LunchDined on 5/3/2014I took my friend for lunch and she was delighted as had heard all sorts of great reviews. The service was spot on and the food delicious. Not cheap but about on par for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingly expensivenosdodDined on 1/3/2014We chose to celebrate my husband's birthday here, but found the atmosphere loud and the table small. The food was overpriced and although the steak was well cooked, the bearnese sauce and snails under seasoned. However, the tuna tartare starter was too salty and had too much sesame oil. The cocktails were tasty, but very expensive and small. However, the wine was lovely and smooth. All in all, we expected a lot from this restaurant and it fell short in so many ways. We will not be visiting again, but will go to The Daffodil instead.
- Early evening dinnerLyndaDined on 22/2/2014Food lived up to expectations (a second visit) and service excellent. Marred by table size too small for 4 people to eat comfortably. Really only large enough for two. However, plenty of space around the table for us to fill the floor with the surplus items. Fillet steak on the bone for the 2nd time as was so good plus the fat chips are to die for. Crab starters & guests duck main course good too. Wine good value & complementary water a nice touch. Couldn't really enjoy ambience of Crazy Eights for cocktails as that had all tables reserved for diners - be warned those who only want a drink there as not many spare seats. Service excellent in all areas even though staff very busy. Will return when bank balance recovered. Keep up the standard!Special Features:
- Stylish, but food averageNickBDined on 16/2/2014Went for dinner for two. Beautiful building and very stylish and interesting interior. Our table (and others nearby) was far too small for the mains, side dishes and drinks glasses. The first floor restaurant is spacious but the tables are a bit crammed together along the back wall. Not good for private conversation. The food was average. Steak was cooked to the right temperature and the chips were good, but the kale side dish was very chewy. Over £50 per head seemed excessive for the quality of the food.
- We really enjoyed 131. Notfoodie7Dined on 16/2/2014We really enjoyed 131. Not only have they done an amazing job refurbishing the building, but the food was superb and the atmosphere was great too. We'll definitely be going back there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First dining experience at 131KarenVIPDined on 15/2/2014This was my first dining experience at this recently opened restaurant. Given that it hasn't been open for long and the usual teething problems associated with that, I was very pleasantly surprised. The food was lovely, the service after firstly being left an overly long time before having a drinks order taken, then became attentive. We stayed at the bar for cocktails after we had eaten and the barman was also entertaining and friendly. I am booked in for a couple of weeks time for my mum's birthday celebration and I am looking forward to visiting them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.