131 The Promenade
131 The Promenade
Cheltenham, GL50 1NWNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
131 The Promenade
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.131promenade.com/
- Phone: 01242 822939
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 10am, 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
Friday: 8am - 10am, 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Saturday: 8am - 4pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday: 8am - 4pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Antony Ely
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch
A word from 131 The Promenade
Regency town house building in the centre of Cheltenham with English restaurant and bars and 11 boutique bedrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
131 The Promenade - Best restaurants in Cheltenham ›
131 The Promenade reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since 25 November 2013
special occasions (66)romance (38)fit for foodies (38)business meals (28)pre/post theatre (20)brunch (18)sunday lunch (18)group bookings (18)afternoon tea (10)outdoor eating (9)good vegetarian options (5)child friendly (4)outstanding value (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/11/2014Very dissapointed. Over priced and food is not of the quality which it is priced at. Very tough steak and you feel squashed in like sardines. Not what you expect when 'fine dining'Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/11/2014First visit to 131. Food was absolutely amazing, staff were friendly and helpful. I'd highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky!GoodeaterDined on 8/11/2014On one of our now many visits to Cheltenham as we gear up for our Cotswolds wedding and we booked this place after having a drink in Crazy 8's last time and liking the look of upstairs. Lets get our disappointment out of the way first - we didnt expect to be sitting in a table in the bar area but we'll overlook that. It's a lovely cool place, really nice decor in a stunning building. The music was spot on for me as well. Service was efficient, friendly and unfussed. Food selection really, really good. Our party of 4 very happy with choices with my rib-eye superb. Everything stunningly presented but one other little gripe - why were the main plates so small for large dishes?!?! Bill not cheap but well worth it in our opinion. Will return!!!!Special Features:
- Very Good!A1DinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014The service was attentive, comfortable surrounding and good food too!Special Features:
- Food not posh enough for the priceThesjDined on 5/11/2014Lovely place, aesthetically pleasing. Food was very nice but i would expect it to be more special for the price. I didnt feel that the meal was any better than any of the other premium restaurants in town but appeared a third more expensive, in my opinion. Staff were attentive but we were served by about 5 different people during the meal, which i found a bit annoying. Food was a bit messy. Lemon sole and fool for desert. Was lovely but i was disappointed with presentation. I would go again, but would ask more questions about the dishes before ordering. This was a meal for 2 for my husbands birthday. He really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Wonderful night, outstanding meal.chasseur76Dined on 2/11/2014We celebrated my Mums 50th birthday and she said it was the best meal she has ever had eating out. Fabulous friendly service with a mouth watering delicious meal. The Chateaubriand was exquisite, melt in the mouth, and the chocolate and orange dessert was beautiful. Exceptional attentive friendly welcoming service, superb ambiance, will recommend to all my family and friends, and can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very welcomingdimpsDined on 1/11/2014I am puzzled at the poor management of what could be a fine establishment: You do not say to a diner who is just settling into their seat that 'we would like you to leave at 8:45pm'. Surely there is a politer and more considerate way of saying that? And to be told, when there are two tables next to each other that the one we chose was 'not the correct one and to please move'. We ignored both these sleights and, as it turned out, the table we were directed to was in fact joined with others at 8:45 to accommodate a large party. The table that we self selected was of course not required at 8:45 but what a shambles! A very expensive restaurant for such treatment.
- Expensive, but enjoyable meal.knightradDined on 29/10/2014Excellent cocktails and drinks menu. Great location and ambience. Interesting menu and food very good. The service was not quite up to the appropriate standard.Special Features:
- !8th birthday mealluv2eatwellDined on 24/10/2014Made very welcome and a special cup cake with candle on the table and plate iced with Happy 18th Charlotte set the scene. We had drinks in the beautiful lounge first which I would really recommend. The table was a bit small for all our sides etc and my main came out later than the rest which was suprising in a restaurant of this standard. However they did apologise and also were great about taking my daughter's steak back to cook a bit longer! (I think medium rare in this restaurant =rare!) My daughters friend turned up later in the lounge and they were totally chilled about that! All in all a very lovely experience;expensive,so save it for a special treat.Special Features:
- disappointedinvisibleDined on 21/10/2014I was looking forward to a special night out, but from the start was disappointed. No real welcome, but just taken to a little table in a corner. It's normal in a place of this calibre to be invited to have a seat in the bar whilst browsing the menu, and for someone responsible (Maitre d' perhaps?) to explain the menu and tempt us. We ordered beef wellington for two at £49.00, mushrooms extra, mushy courgettes, extra. It arrived, cut in two chunks, on a wooden platter which was squeezed on to a corner of our tiny table and we were left to deal with it ourselves. We were supplied with steak knives??? No friendly waiter to carve nicely and serve. Two glasses of prosecco came in tiny babysham glasses. £96.00 and nobody said thanks and goodbye
- a cut above the restwendywowDined on 10/10/2014Great atmosphere, ambience, service and fabulous food with a few interesting twists. Bit pricey but the good quality ingredients and fab location warrant it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experienceCheltenhamDined on 10/10/2014After being met by two intimidating bouncers on the front door at only 7.55pm, we were shown to an unimpressive table laid for 4 people (we were a party of 3). The service was dreadful, food, quite frankly, very bad and the restaurant had an air of being very unprofessional. I will not be recommending this restaurant.
- ccjcVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great cocktails a fun ambience and pretty good food. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very loud musicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014The service and attention were very good after initially being hurried to our table. The venison from the specials menu was very good and good value. The wine list is long and mostly expensive but we chose one of the cheapest red wines at £21and the sommelier tried to steer us away from our choice twice by indicating it wasn't the best wine, which it wasn't, but we found it very adequate for our meal. Unfortunately there was very loud music playing the whole time we were eating and we twice asked if it could be turned down but were told it wasn't possible. I'm afraid that the music really spoiled what was a very good meal. Personally I feel that very loud music is not compatible with fine dining.
- Expensive but worth it!liz971Dined on 29/9/2014We dined here for my birthday celebration on a quiet Monday evening. The service was outstanding, great ambiance with boutique décor in a grand regency building. The quality of the food was high but we did feel it was a little petty to have to pay extra for sauces for the steak and for basic vegetables with a meal, surely these are not extras! There are lots of steps on entry so unsure of access for disabled people so you would need to check before booking. We had a drink outside after our meal, at the front of the building there is a large seating area with pleasant views across Imperial gardens and regency buildings. This is definitely a venue for special occasions or if you're not worried about the cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 27/9/2014Service was average with mistakes made (eg ordered peach ice-cream but mango arrived - seemed to be the kitchen's issue). Waiter didn't seem willing (or able) to correct things, though pleasant enough and very apologetic. Food varied from very good to average and some mistakes (some of which were service) - eg bread basket is described as 'sour-dough', but only one piece was. Fennel soup starter was excellent. Overall cooking seemed a bit old-fashioned with high fat content to boost taste.
- Refined dining experienceGypsum74Dined on 25/9/2014Tasteful, elegant decor combined with delicious cuisine and superb company created a romantic evening to remember.Special Features:
- Service poor but food excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014I was so disappointed with my lunch last Sunday, having been very much looking forward to it. I wish we had booked downstairs at Crazy Eights instead as there seemed to be more atmosphere down there. From the start, my companion and I did not feel welcome and there was a 'heavy' feel to the staff who clearly did not want to be there. Suffering from lack of management on duty perhaps, one girl in particular had a very grouchy look and chip on her shoulder, not just with us but other staff and guests as well. Too many details to write here but not one of the 4 (!) people who served us seemed happy to be there or went to any great lengths to give us an enjoyable experience. Such a shame as the food was delicious and this place has promise.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 20/9/2014I was undecided as to which steak to have and when I asked the waitress which was the best ie the rump or sirloin she replied the ribeye but didn't explain that it was more expensive and to be honest I had handed the menu back to her at this point. The steak was lovely but then the whole experience was a little over shadowed when I got the bill as the ribeye steak was more quite a bit more expensive than what I was expected the bill to be. The service in Crazy 8's was extremely poor, Having waited a good 10 minutes to be served the bartender then forgot who she was making the cocktails for and in the end I had to remind her that they were for us. Overall it is a lovely place but sadly the service lets it down.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisednmb353Dined on 4/9/2014I had been told that the service was slow, but when we went this was definitely not the case. The tuna sashimi was outstanding! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- 131 Promenade DisappointingJobiDined on 30/8/2014We had a table booked and were kept waiting for 20 minutes before being shown to our places. I stress "places" since it was a bench with other diners, this had not been explained to us at the time of booking a "table". My Osso Bucco seemed to be very "tired" and was not at all a classic melt in the mouth experience. My wife ordered sea bass and that turned up burnt. My son ordered sides of chips and spinach which turned up 10 minutes after his steak. My wife was offered cod fillet as a replacement dish to her burnt sea bass, which therefore turned up after my son and myself had finished eating, the fillet had not been completely boned! In mitigation the assistant manager did apologise profusely and reduced our bill.Special Features:
- Very Good!A1DinerVIPDined on 21/8/2014Both the food and the service was very good and I would recommend 131 for Lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 131PrincipeDined on 20/8/2014Well the place looks great and the service is super but the food is far from good..... Ordered a RibEye off the bone steak and it was like rubber sent it back and the same again.... the meat was far from top quality as suggested by the prices. All and all I wouldn't go there again for food but a nice place.
- Fantastic sea foodAnonVIPDined on 16/8/2014If you go to 131 Promenade you simply have to try their seafood platter. Masses of food and very very tasty. I would definitely go again in the future.Special Features:
- Great eveningbradders47Dined on 8/8/2014We have passed 131 on the way into Cheltenham on numerous occasions since it opened and thought that we should pay a visit. Well, we did and it was fantastic. From the pre dinner drinks served with knowledge and a smile through to the car and attention paid to us as we dined, the whole evening was greatSpecial Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Excellent food, great service and ambience! Definitely will be back, thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 131 the Prom - saturday suppernoshnotesDined on 19/7/2014great venue not matched by service (friendly but slow) or food (hit and miss - overcooked chicken but lovely pigeon). Would go again.Special Features:
- Most Fabulous place in CheltenhamCheltenhamhotspotsDined on 7/7/2014What a great new addition to the town - Vibrant, cool, chic environment and delicious food; without being pretentious - what a deadly combination!Special Features:
- 131 The Promenade - Crazy 8'sDaddlesDined on 19/6/2014Wonderful ambience, friendly and helpful staff who know their menu and drinks very well. Stunning meal and fantastic lounge area to sit back and relax post meal with family and friends.,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for Improvement !DiningoutdollDined on 6/6/2014Fabulous setting, beautiful decor. The tables are very small & cramped this might be why food is seved on small plates ! The menu is board & appealing although charging for bread is a joke. We were diverted downstairs to the bar for pre dinner drinks, it took 20 mins of waving at bar staff to get served ! The restaurant staff were more efficient, polite & keen to please. Our food was ok but not great. Steaks were grissly and the lemon sole lacked taste. The sauces were delicious though and the asparagus starter was great. Nice wine - over priced all round. Hate the "mums &.dads" coffee cups. The lighting was way too dim! Generally 131 has a lovely vibe but the basics should be so much better. A lesson in style over substance.Special Features:
- GarethDined on 31/5/2014Why do restaurants insist on assuming you're happy to pay a tip in the guise of Service charge? How often is a tip left on top of the service charge! service was a little slow both at the bar and food delivery. Steak was good but not the best ever but was the most I've paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlfredoDined on 31/5/2014They've done a beautiful job of the refurbishment. The food was absolutely delicious. The service was a little hit and miss. For example, the starters arrived very quickly (possibly too quickly!) but the drink I ordered as an aperitif didn't arrive until I had nearly finished the starter. Nothing major. Just a bit of fine tuning required to make it a '5 star' experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- plutoDined on 26/5/2014excellent meat beef cooked outstandingly, puddings flavoursome and original. Atmosphere made good by staff when mort busy.Special Features:
- Over pricedKnowsgoodfoodDined on 25/5/2014For the price of the meal I would expect exceptional food, which it wasn't. The steak was great because it was chargrilled, but overpriced.The carrots were over cooked and the spinach was watery. My starter of tuna tartare was ok but not very well presented and my husbands squid was under seasoned. I would expect it to be exceptional for the price we paid, not mediocre. The service was great and the place has been tastefully furnished.
- Over pricedAnonDined on 24/5/2014We really enjoyed our food and the venue was great, however we felt the steaks in particular were very expensive. My husband had the second cheapest steak which was £26 and didn't come with any chips or veg.. Not even any garnish. A lot to pay for a piece of meat. Wines too were also quite pricey. All in all a fun evening but over priced.Special Features:
- Poor serviceByronDined on 24/5/2014Three for lunch on Saturday . Not full . Not busy . Having taken our order , two of which were cold fish, we had a long wait and then only two meals one hot food one cold fish arrived. Long wait for third meal which was a dozen oysters. Then an order of fries failed to materialise . The waitress had forgotten to order them. So overall poor service from an expensive restaurant . Beautiful building ,ambience and location . This was our four visit and can say service getting worse.Special Features:
- Great steaks!FoodieDined on 18/5/2014Our party of four was seated at a very small table, so small we couldn't get side plates, main plates and glasses on the table simultaneously. Waiter was very helpful but it was an uncomfortable squash. Two mix-ups with the food wasn't great. We were missing two side dishes for half of the meal. However, the food was very good. Tasty, interesting and well cooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - food disappointingSurfnirvanaDined on 10/5/2014We all felt very welcome when we first arrived at this beautiful Regency building and were warmly greeted by the Doorman, and reception. We were shown to the bar downstairs, but it was full, so came back upstairs and sat in the lounge and had some Cocktails. The dining area has a real buzz about it and the menu catered for everyone with the bias on steaks and seasonal produce. The starters were good, but the mains courses - although very well presented, were not seasoned enough and all of us felt were quite bland. We were expecting the food to be delicious, but for all of us it was just OK, which was rather disappointing. Not sure we would return as there are plenty of other restaurants in Cheltenham to try next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not outstandingSpeaks1975Dined on 4/5/2014Service was very slow 3 times had to find the waitress to order or chase items. My bread never arrived despite chasing for it twice. My starter and main was nice portions average the side portions very small asparagus equated to about 3 stems! 2 courses each with bottle of wine water coffee and one dessert wine was £160 which is expensive for what it was and the quality (we had steaks) I have been for Sunday lunch which is better value and afternoon tea. Drinks in bar very pricey also and door man was rude until established we had a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodgoodfoodDined on 4/5/2014A lovely meal. Felt a little under pressure to order, eat and leave as table was needed in 1.5 hours. This might put me off If I was celebrating a special occasion.Special Features: