Abergavenny, NP7 8PBNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.18-61.co.uk/
- Phone: 08453881861
- Hours of Operation:
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat: 12:00pm - 2:00pm, 7:00pm - 9:00pm Sun: 12:00pm - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 1861 Restaurant
A foodie gem just outside Abergavveny in the picture postcard hamlet of Cross Ash, the 1861 Restaurant has caused quite a stir among Wales' gastronomic elite. Boasting two well deserved AA Rosettes, 1861 is the brainchild of chef Simon King and his wife, and front of house lead, Kate. Between them, Simon and Kate have several years experience in the restaurant business - and it really does show. Set in a beautiful old house complete with wood beams and original fireplaces, 1861 is welcoming and comfortable yet refined while service is of the very highest standard. The 1861 menu is produced using lovingly sourced ingredients produced nearby - often on neighbouring farms or at Kate's father's nursery - to ensure traceability and sustainability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
1861 Restaurant - Best restaurants in Abergavenny ›
1861 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since 22 October 2013
special occasions (7)romance (5)fit for foodies (4)child friendly (3)sunday lunch (3)business meals (2)good vegetarian options (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Lunchtime quickie!greedypiggiesDined on 19/9/2014It was our first time at this family run restaurant. Food was very tasty,looked good and tasted great. Not good value for money though,quite small portions at quite high prices. Restaurant and other areas need smartening up,lacks warmth and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Incredible dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2014I have eaten in many well known restaurants but I can't believe this jewel is an hour drive from me here in Wales If I lived closer I visit weekly however this would spoil my expectations of other restaurants , I wish the Same standard of service, ambience , inventive dishes was typical of all establishment but probably that's way this resturant is head and shoulders above others . Higher profile required I only came across this find by chance , the friends I took along with me thanked me all night long for finding it and we have all retold others about what we experience . We got the impression other dinners were returners , we will be also .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real TreatAqualassDined on 2/8/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at 1861 Restaurant. The food was delicious, well-presented, fresh and creative. The service was attentive without being overpowering. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend 1861, and would be happy to return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- 1861 Relish RestaurantDi4foodwineDined on 21/6/2014We were well looked after from arrival (our party of four), we were greeted by the lady owner. There were options to have pre-dinner drinks at outside tables, or inside in a small friendly lounge bar area. We looked at menus and made our choices, had our pre-dinner drinks and nibbles. At our table the front of house service was friendly, welcoming and relaxing experience. Our starters arrived and everything was lovely, same was true for our mains, we all had different dishes. Of particular note was the high standard of the dishes, the hot food was 'hot' which is not always the case in some places which we prefer, and the vegetables tasted so delicious - like freshly cooked straight from the local cottage garden. We intend to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodGonzDined on 15/6/2014We visited 1861 for Father's Day lunch; the restaurant was a beautiful building and we were welcomed by very friendly staff. The food was excellent and came promptly, palette cleansers before and after dinner and beautiful and well thought out petit fours with coffee. Service from start to finish was excellent. Will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant FoodOutAndAboutDined on 24/5/2014We went to 1861 as a celebration and particularly to try the taster menu. It was excellent. Great portion sizes - modest - and full of flavour. Range of cooking was fabulous and is well worth the trip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 18/4/2014We opted for the tasting menu at 1861, which we have chosen a couple of times before and it was, as ever, excellent. The food was delicious and beautifully presented as we have come to expect from Simon King, with really interesting flavours. The wines were also excellent and good value - particularly compared to London prices.Special Features:
- The following 10 reviews are from the 1861 Restaurant reviews archive.
- Exceptional dining experienceBennyBluesDined on 8/9/2013We received a warm welcome as soon as we walked through the door. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the restaurant itself was very comfortable and picturesque. Delicious food made from fresh locally sourced ingredients and from an extensive yet reasonably priced menu led to a fabulous meal. Looking forward to going back soon and would thoroughly recommend visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLinBDined on 1/9/2013Great restaurant for Sunday lunch, worth the drive to get there, through beautiful countryside. Food was delicious and there was great attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gemIanAbergavennyDined on 2/11/2012Had a very enjoyable mid week family lunch - service, food, value for money all exceptional, and very child friendly as well. Definately going back to try their dinner menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant!carolinaDined on 21/7/2012The food was really good, specially the deserts we have chosen a degustation plate with 5 mini desserts to share and was wonderful. I didn't rate the food as outstanding because I didn't like it too much the first dish that I choose (the venison), but the restaurant has 2 rosettes, and the rest of the food was really good.Special Features:
- 1861 Restaurant Abergavenny. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 23/12/20111861 Restaurant Abergavenny. This is an excellent Restaurant in a fairly remote location that probably suffers at times with lack of Clientele which may stop it getting the Michelin award that it should receive in 2012 if it maintains this standard.
- 1861, Cross Ash, Abergavenny. AmbiaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/20111861, Cross Ash, Abergavenny. Ambiance: Excellent although a little dark. The restaurant was cool but the weather had changed that day. It would have benefited from a fire to raise the background temperature slightly.
- 1861 at Cross Ash, rural settingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 20/5/20111861 at Cross Ash, rural setting with pleasant restaurant. Good food using a lot of fresh local ingredients.
- Fairly quiet but great countryBromleyFoodieVIPDined on 30/4/2011Fairly quiet but great country location. Also, incredibly attentive owners. Would certainly return.
- Myself and my wife ate atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 18/9/2010Myself and my wife ate at 1861 situated in Abergavenny after being recommended by my wife's friend and we are so glad we tried the restaurant. We ate on Saturday 18th September during the Fingal Rock Wine dinner event where the wine was matched to each dinner course. It was not pretentious at all, in which I was worried about and in fact was quite interesting. Good service and will be visiting again soon!!! Recommend highly!!!!!
- 1861 restaurant, Cross Ash,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 31/7/20101861 restaurant, Cross Ash, Abergavenny, NP7 8PB. No other diners. Attractive menu. Decent, acceptably priced wines. Lobster and salmon ravioli starter: almost no ravioli, tasted of an amorphous shellfishy mush and its sauce was very watery; had this delivered what it promised, £10.50 might have been justifiable. Main - hake in boullabaisse: appearance most unappetising, almost tasteless; vegetables too al dente, bouillabaisse grey/brown and, again, very watery. Overpriced disappointment.