418 Richmond Road
Twickenham, TW1 2EBNeighborhood:
ItalianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acena.co.uk/
- Phone: 02082880108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday to Saturday - 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Lunch: Tuesday to Sunday - 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicola Parsons
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be hired for private parties up to 58 people.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Healy 02082880108x
- Entertainment: Background Music
- Special Events: A Cena loves a wedding or party and over the years we have had some great ones. The intimate setting, relaxed ambience, beautiful food and hospitality provided by our staff make for a memorable occasion.
Whether it’s a lunch, dinner or cocktail party, the experience is totally tailor made and pretty much anything is possible.
A word from A Cena
A Cena restaurant is located just over the Richmond Bridge in East Twickenham. A fantastic local italian restaurant set in a warm, friendly, elegant but relaxed atmosphere with a menu that constantly changes to suit the changing seasons and ensuring only the freshest and best ingredients go into our dishes. The wine list is superb ranging from small, modest Italian Vineyards to some of the great names and vintages. A Cena means "at dinner" and is pronounced "Ah Chenna"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
A Cena - Best restaurants in Richmond ›
A Cena reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since 2 May 2014
special occasions (74)romance (61)fit for foodies (61)business meals (23)sunday lunch (17)group bookings (15)good vegetarian options (13)outstanding value (6)disabled access (5)child friendly (5)brunch (4)pre/post theatre (4)Show More
- a birthday lunchmrsHDined on 20/8/2014although it was very quiet on this Wednesday lunchtime the service was still very good. I have not visited for sometime and although the £10 lunch menu is a good idea it was not for me. Salad starter and a pasta main with tea or coffee. Excellent wine and cocktail list. The tuna steak I ordered was excellent although maybe a little expensive for £18 on its own but they do have many things which are much cheaper on the menu. They do close at 3.30pm so unlike other places in Richmond you cannot while away the afternoon enjoying more drinks. Sadly not much wowed me on the menu that day but overall I would recommend and will visit again.Special Features:
- So glad we found A CenaFabFoodDined on 20/8/2014If you are lucky enough to live locally - or happy to make a very worthwhile trip - you must got to A Cena! Our visit last week was, without doubt, the first of many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality foodceaedinburghDined on 19/8/2014Always reliable quality and service. The wine selections needs improving but the cocktails are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everCityeaterDined on 2/8/2014Had not been to a Cena for years but it is still every bit as good as it used to be. Really good modern Itslian food well served - excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food.WestyDined on 28/7/2014Great cocktails to start and fantastic food, with wine choices to suit every taste and budget. Ambience is suited for special occasions, and service is very prompt.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/7/2014If you are a vegan or veggie tell them beforehand and they have a special menuSpecial Features:
- Not much choice for veggiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 22/7/2014Although the food we eventually ordered was tasty, creative and well prepared, we were very challenged by the menu choices. There were vegetarian and fish options to start but only one vegetarian and one fish option in the mains. Service was pleasant; the decor felt a little cold (cream, black and mirrors). Easy to walk from Richmond town centre and nice not to have to go to one of the chains that seem to have overtaken Richmond.
- JT55JT55Dined on 11/7/2014Always top class food in a very enjoyable venue. Real Italian cuisine with some delightful twists. It is one our real favourites in West London for a good evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Special Occasionjab61Dined on 10/7/2014We chose our anniversary celebration to be at A Cena. We asked for a romantic table and were given one away from the main seating area of the restaurant which we enjoyed. Food was good. Servicewas prompt and waiter/waitresses very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A litle GemTeddyDined on 2/7/2014We were recommended to this restaurant and were not disappointed. The presentation and quality of the food was excellent and the service matched. Definitely worth a visit and we will be back!Special Features:
- A Cena in RichmondstevefeigenDined on 20/6/2014You can easily miss this Italian restaurant just on the other side of Richmond Bridge, but it is has seriously good food, traditionally Italian but with originality. I had a fantastic Tagliatelli pasta dish to start and my kids were equally happy with a Gnocci (is that how you spell it?) dish which semed to be coated with tomato but not swimming in sauce. They were both intensely flavoured and just right for a starter. One son had steak, the other a traditional veal milanese and they were excellent, but there were lots of more sophisticated choices. We had a Morellino Di Scansano, which was excellent. This is high mid range for price but it is a really good authentic restaurant with a good ambiance. .Special Features:
- Always excellentTwick2Dined on 19/6/2014Took my Mother for birthday lunch. Had not mentioned it but they saw her opening her card and present so brought her ice cream with a candle. Nice touch. Have only been in evenings previously so knew the food and service was perfect but the choices for lunch are really good and the food as ever wonderful. Much quieter so easier for people with hearing difficulties!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTwinmumDined on 16/6/2014Was recommended to try A Cena by a good friend and was not disappointed! Food was amazing and service impeccable - will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.SaltedcaramelDined on 16/6/2014One of the best meals I ve ever had. The fried fish starter, lamb main and salted caramel ice cream were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to previous standardskm123Dined on 15/6/2014Have been many times to this restaurant but was a bit underwhelmed on this occasion. the main reason was the service; we had to wait for quite long periods for the waiter, and for the food to arrive. Other people were getting served before us, and had the attention of the staff. We felt that we did not. Food was OK, not great - not very hot on arrival. Desserts were nice.
- Amazing foodthedarkhorseDined on 7/6/2014Came to A Cena for special romantic night out and it was fantastic. Lovely atmosphere, nice buzz, good lighting, and amazing food. I hadn't heard much about it so didn't have particular expectations but My husband and I really enjoyed it. One star lost on ambience as the chairs are not the most comfortable but at 9 months pregnant that might just be me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little over pricednat1856Dined on 23/5/2014Have meant to visit this restaurant for ages; it has been recommended by a few friends. I was a bit disappointed though. The food was fine- prawns, then lamb and steak- all well cooked but nothing particularly exciting or inventive. Not one thing I fancied on the dessert menu which isn't usually something I struggle with. The staff didn't seem terribly interested in whether we enjoyed out meal or not - nobody asked how it was etc. An average Italian priced as a high end one.
- Nice celebratory mealAnonDined on 16/5/20146 of us dined to celebrate 2 birthdays within our group. Menu had plenty of delicious choices, service was friendly, attentive and efficient. Food was nicely presented and very tasty - especially the chilli prawn starter. We each had a different main course and none of us was disappointed - everything well prepared. A wide selection of desserts - mostly not for those watching their waistline, but hey, you only live once! The decor is fairly simple but elegant, and our visit on a Friday evening proved to be very busy and quite noisy. Would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealzeezeefcDined on 10/5/2014Another fantastic meal at A Cena. The food was fantastic, the Hake Fillet was delicious as was the Lamb. If you are looking for a great Italian meal this is the place. The service was attentive but not intrusive. 5*!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not on a TuesdayWarmer22Dined on 6/5/2014The first time I went to A Cena it was a great experience; great atmosphere, bust and good food. That was a Friday night. This time we went on a Tuesday. There were more staff than diners (4) and that must be a tough economic proposition for any restaurant. Although the food was tasty, it was obviously prepared in advance and my mood took a tumble when the starters arrived just a few minutes after we ordered. The mozzarella still had the benefit of the fridge and all our courses now took on the appearance of gourmet ready meals. The mains were almost as quick to arrive. I know it's a problem for local restaurants trying to provide a good menu when customers are only coming later in the week. I may go back, but not on Tuesdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CenaGastro1VIPDined on 3/5/2014A Cena had been highly recommended by a friend and we were not disappointed. The restaurant has the feel of an authentic " local Italian" but is actually much better than that. The dishes on the menu were creative and unusual and the food was superbly cooked and presented. The service was also attentive and the ambience very atmospheric. A Cena is now firmly on our list of local favourites offering excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!DebbieDined on 2/5/2014You must try it - you won't regret it. Food is amazing - be prepared to spend a bit on wine though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and not very italianDeejayDined on 30/4/2014The food was of poor quality and wasn't authentic. The menu was small and contained misprints. I've eaten in a lot of Italian restaurants and this was by far the worst due to pricing, value for money, poor food presentation and exectutionSpecial Features:
- Anniversary delightCultraDined on 23/4/2014A beautiful evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The main courses (lamb and pork) were outstanding and an excellent bottle of Primitovo accompanied them very nicely. The service was attentive and added to the pleasure of the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningChochosanDined on 18/4/2014Excellent meal. Innovative menu. Lovely inside. Will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 13/4/2014Excellent food, marmalade cocktails were superb, ver enjoyable occasion. RecommendedSpecial Features:
- A little gem ...heyprestoDined on 12/4/2014We went to A Cena on Saturday, 12 April and this is one busy little restaurant! Despite that we had excellent service and food was wonderful. Both my husband and I had the hake which was absolutely outstanding: perfectly cooked and with a delicious sauce. We enjoyed our first courses and desserts too. In particular my husband recommends the superb doughnuts with raspberry sauce! Sometimes restaurants like this are spoiled by having a very expensive wine list; not so in this case, the list is very reasonable. The restaurant is obviously known to locals and has a good cocktail list; unfortunately we didn't try one, but they looked very interesting! I highly recommend A Cena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small but beautifully formed menumarkyhamptonDined on 5/4/2014We visited A Cena for the first time last Saturday evening and took a couple of friends who were down from Stoke. We sat across from the bar which is the perfect place, liked every dish on the short menu (you know its going to be fresh) and selected a bottle of Ripasso to go with our choices. Every dish was superb and was all about the quality and taste. we had a second bottle of wine just to congratulate ourselves! really good service, food and ambience i would recommend this to anyone who appreciates world class food without the over fussy design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10/10MonikaDined on 22/3/2014Once more incredible experience form the moment you step in. Thank you guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at A CenaSteveDined on 13/2/2014The menu at A Cena is different to other Italian restaurants in the area and slightly on the expensive side. The dining room is very elegant and the overall experience is pleasant, but didn't blow us away, which was surprising after hearing so many good reviews of it. We would happily go back there, but it wouldn't necessarily be first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodRichmondDined on 6/2/2014We have been to A Cena quite a few times now and every time the food has been excellent, with a varied menu which changes and fresh ingredients. The fresh Mackerel starter was delicious, it was perfectly seared with a chargrilled flavour served with a cucumber salad, the artichoke soup was also delicious and so were the mains of vitello millanaise and gnocchi with blue cheese.Special Features:
- My favourite restaurantwrikl001Dined on 2/2/2014I think A Cena has offiically become my favourite restaurant - and my boyfriend's, we love it and we took friends with us on Sunday for lunch who equally loved it so much we made a group booking for a few weeks time. Food excellent per usual, service attentive without being too in your face and all so friendly and helpful, wine was actually the nicest rose I've had in the UK and dessert was mouth wateringly yum. Hard to beat A Cena and I always think there are a few "upmarket" restaurants who could take lessons from them!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family lunchJulesDined on 1/2/2014We visited on a Saturday lunchtime and the restaurant was quiet, which was great for us, as we benefitted from attentive service and esquisite food. We were a party of five adults and a baby. The waiting staff we're very good with our baby, bringing a high chair and making a fuss of her as they passed our table. Even the chef came out to say hello to our little one, which was lovely! We ate a three course lunch, and each had a different main course from the menu. Each of us felt our meal was superb. Tender meats, flavoursome dishes and good portion sizes. Starters and desserts were also delicious. We have visited A Cena on a number of occasions, and have never been disappointed. A very good local restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu, Good FoodredheadDined on 31/1/2014Our food was delicious and our vegetarian friend had plenty to choose from on the menu. A great cocktail and wine list.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a very good meal atNicknameDined on 25/1/2014Enjoyed a very good meal at this restaurant. Service was excellent. Interior great too although sometimes difficult to hear. Wines maybe a bit expensive. Will definitely go back.
- love this placeVdaydiningDined on 19/1/2014nothing more to say than that really, the food is great and the people are lovely.Special Features:
- Limited menusimrefDined on 18/1/2014Food was good, but menu limited, not a great selection of optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at A Cena4dinersDined on 9/1/2014We had an exceptional meal at A Cena for my recent birthday. We had not dined there for a while and we were even more delighted with the food, wine, service than before. We feel so lucky to have such a special restaurant within walking distance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningMickieDined on 8/1/2014We were a group of five, early on Wednesday 8th January. The restaurant was reasonably busy, with a calm, friendly atmosphere. A good menu featuring a comprehensive choice plenty of appetising starters followed by fish, steak, lamb, pork and others. I asked for advise on the wine list and followed it, sharing an excellent Venetian red with our guests after a lovely bottle of Prosecco with our starters. My pork (Gloucester Old Spot) was first class, and other praised the Seabass and Steak equally highly. We will certainly be back and would recommend A Cena highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!JRCamDined on 3/1/2014We booked A Cena based on the reviews and were definitely impressed! We shall most definitely return!Special Features: