66 Trafalgar Square
London, WC2N 5DSNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.albannach.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079300066
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 05:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 05:00PM - 11:00PM; Sunday: 05:00PM - 07:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Steak
- Executive Chef: Rajesh Nathan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Seating for twenty guests and standing room for thirty. Private washroom, flat screen tv, laptop hook-up, and wireless internet are all included in the room.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Palharini 02079300066x2
- Entertainment: Every Thursday, Albannach hosts live music in our downstairs cocktail bar, the A-Lounge.
- Public Transit: By Tube: Bakerloo or Northern Line to Charing Cross Station
By National Rail: Charing Cross Station
By Bus: Routes 3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176, 453
- Parking: Public Car Park
- Parking Details: Westminster City Car Parks: Spring Gardens, Westminster, London SW1A 2BE - 020 7930 1565
Master Car Park: 1 A4, Westminster, London SW1Y 4
A word from Albannach
Set on Trafalgar Square, in the heart of the capital, Albannach restaurant and whisky bar comprises a dramatic ground floor restaurant and bar, an intimate mezzanine restaurant, a stunning private dining room, and a striking vaulted cocktail bar: the A-Lounge.Continued
A venue for all occasions, Albannach boasts a great British seasonal menu, fantastic drinks, and a world-beating collection of of over 130 Scotch whiskies.
A venue for all occasions, Albannach boasts a great British seasonal menu, fantastic drinks, and a world-beating collection of of over 130 Scotch whiskies.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Albannach reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since 4 June 2014
pre/post theatre (73)special occasions (47)business meals (39)fit for foodies (26)romance (22)group bookings (21)outstanding value (5)brunch (4)good vegetarian options (3)sunday lunch (3)afternoon tea (2)child friendly (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Good and reliableCJUFDined on 25/3/2014The place was very quiet on a Tuesday night and surprised to see the mezanine level closed. The starters and mains were very good, but disappointed with the sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- DelicioushildaVIPDined on 21/3/2014Took a friend to one of our favourite restaurants for a late lunch/early supper. Got the perfect table by the window overlooking Trafalgar Square. At 1630 we were given the lunch menu; when we came to order we were told we were too late for lunch (advertised till 1700). In the end it was allowed. We each had a salad - me the warm duck, he the chicken and avocado - both delicious. This place is a treasure, and we fear that not enough people know about it. It's a wonderful location and partucularly a good deal before theatre. Amazing whisky list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great venue for lunch.topsyDined on 21/3/2014It's a great venue for lunch with friends. The service is quick and friendly and the ambience is light and airy. The food is unusual - lots of Scottish fayre with complimentary whiskies if you can manage it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiredaGroperDined on 20/3/2014Can't but say that Albannach is past its best. Lacklustre service and the decor is getting tired. Seats are cramped and chairs very uncomfortable. If getting us out to turn the table over is the rationale behind these wooden seats than it obviously works. The best thing in the house is the whisky collection, if whiskey is what pulls you in.
- Good food, poor servicemoojkebabDined on 15/3/2014I've dined at Albannach many times now and never in my life have I come across such rude and poor service from a waitress. Not a single smile from her all evening. When we asked if we could move tables away from the noise of the 2 larger groups near us she didn't assist with helping us to move wine glasses, drinks and our starters. Later when we asked if our lamb could be cooked for slightly longer she argued with us saying "I've already asked for it how you wanted it". Poor & rude service really put a dampener on the evening and my friend's first impression of this restaurant. If it wasn't for a second waiter stepping in to help I think we may have left much earlier. I'm going to think twice before coming back again.Special Features:
- Average food, good serviceDinerDined on 15/3/2014I went to Albannach for a pre-theatre bite to eat with my partner. The restaurant was nice (although the toilets do require attention - lots of broken doors), the service was polite, attentive and prompt, but the food was decidedly average. I had salmon which was overcooked and relatively tasteless and my partner had a burger which was dry. I've been to Albannach before and enjoyed it, but the food was a disappointment this time.Special Features:
- A good Taste of ScotlandJudyDined on 12/3/2014We both enjoyed their Taste of Scotland menu which was excellent value. However it was rather filling and, whilst I like haggis, I wouldn't eat it frequently.Special Features:
- Disappointing lunch at AlbannachDominicVIPDined on 10/3/2014Having had a splendid dinner here last year, and a good lunch a few months ago, I was very underwhelmed by lunch at Albannach the other day. The set lunch menu was thin and disappointing - impossible to access any red meat, other than a 'special offer' rump steak. The cooking is still good - lovely haggis, and the steak was served with a very good béarnaise sauce. But the service was unfocussed, I was put out at having paper napkins in a restaurant of this price, and the wine list is unremarkable given the aspirations of the restaurant. I feel Albannach has gone down hill, and am saddened by this.
- Disappointing SteakhildaVIPDined on 8/3/2014We go to Albannach on Trafalgar Square a lot and thought we'd try their steak and chips lunch special. New waiter didn't think it came with salad, though it said so on the sign outside. Rump steak tasty but almost unchewable. Delicious fries. Their dinner options are much better. Sadly, the place is not as good as it once was: reduced whisky list, shorter menu. We're afraid they overextended and may now be in trouble. Support them now! They have a great location and imaginative Scottish dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was okAlbannachwasokDined on 5/3/2014Two of our four meals had to be returned as they were cold. Took a long time to rectify but was just about rectified, although no compensation was offered and 12% service was still added automatically. Waiter was surly and serving us seemed a bit of a hassle for him; he kept spilling water pouring it from a jug (would've been better if he just left it on the table) and never wiped it up. Good location and food though - price is good value when a tastecard is used but otherwise would be overpriced. But overall an ok experience, nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A London gem for Whiskey LoversWhiskeyLoversDined on 1/3/2014We chose the Albannach for its Whiskey Selection as myself and a few members of the family are real lovers and we aim at least once a year to all meet up to try new whiskies and have a good meal. The food was outstanding, the Haggis was perfect and even the Fish and chips were an incredible portion. However for us, the real triumph was the whiskey. When we first arrived we were given a selection of 'Whiskey Flights'- pre-arranged sets of 5 whiskies. However being seasoned whiskey drinkers we had tried most of these. The manager came over and allowed us to design our own 'flights' which would have a 15% discount. He was extremely patient as we went through the menu, and showed us whiskies not on the menu. Fantastic service, food and whiskey.Special Features:
- Friendly & attentive serviceBusybeeDined on 26/2/2014We meet up with a couple of friends, who we hadn't seen for a long time, so the venue was perfect for this. Food was tasty and reasonably priced and the service was very attentive.
- A notch up from pub grubYDEMVIPDined on 26/2/2014The food is good but more pub than restaurant standard. It is a good venue for a pre-theatre meal when you are not expecting great things.Special Features:
- Room for ImprovemntLoriDined on 22/2/2014Went here for a friends birthday, we had such high hopes but was sadly let down by the service.
- Poor slow serviceSherlockDined on 22/2/2014I went here for my birthday at the end of Feb 2014. First impressions looked nice bit everything else went downhill from the moment we sat down. Service was so slow, we had to wait 30mins or more for each course. We booked the 25% offer on 2 courses but when we arrived we were told we could only choose a starter and main for that offer. Food was only ok. When we went to the bar downstairs (DJ) the crowd was quite weird- skanky looking people. The DJ was terrible he mixed in 3 songs in the space of 3 mins, Terrible. Then decided to stop the music when he was switching DJs, so we had no music for 15 mins. When the music came back on there were several glitches in the sound, by this time we were so annoyed and left.
- Fabulous Haggis!RC2014Dined on 14/2/2014For Valentine's day this year we decided we were fed up of Italian, Indian, Chinese and all the other common cuisines and fancied something a bit different. I remember going for drinks with a few friends to Albannach once and remembered they serve haggis and had a lovely ambience. So we booked it. Never had haggis before, but had their starter version (they also serve it as a main), but I had the humongous tasty burger for my main. My partner had the salmon which she thought was delicious. The puddings were absolutely to die for though. The food was cooked to perfection, fast, friendly, helpful service and the price considering it's right on Trafalgar Square was very reasonable. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good valueLouitDined on 14/2/2014I've been to Albannach a few times. A very nice restaurant with tasty food at a reasonable price. . Would probably go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, average cookinglivetoeatDined on 14/2/2014We ate at a pre-theatre time, the room was almost empty and we were given a great window seat looking out across a rain soaked Trafalgar Square. Service was lovely, prompt, helpful and friendly. The decor is good, rather club-like (St James's rather than DJ, I mean) and playing on the Scottish theme without tartan. So, looks good, feels good. Unfortunately the food did not reach the same standards. The menu was short, which is fine, but not very interesting (posh fish and chips?) and certainly not making the most of the 'sourced from Scotland' aspiration. Since the kitchen wasn't busy, I hoped for a better standard of execution, but this was dull. Crannachan was weirdly given intense blackcurrant instead of raspberry, why?Special Features:
- Pre-theatreLondon1Dined on 14/2/2014We booked a table for a pre-theatre dinner. On entering the restaurant we were taken to the cloakroom to deposit coats where as I would expect our coats to be taken from us once we were at our table. As it was early (6pm) and the restaurant was quiet we were surprised that we were sat out of the way up on the balcony. The staff were polite but slow with service. We had to ask to order. When presented with the bill we had to ask for the discount advertised for pre-theatre early bookings. The food was very good - though the lamb main course was over fatty. The location is good and very convenient for the theatre we were going to. A little more attention to detail by the staff would have greatly improved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Scottish rugby - disappointingcordonvertDined on 8/2/2014The ambience at the Albannach for a Saturday night was underwhelming. Only the top floor was available as a private party was booked below. The music was so loud I couldn't hear my partner talk. The service was slow and if not unfriendly, certainly indifferent, as was the food. The 'Albannach burger' had nothing to differentiate it from just being a burger and over-cooked chips...the starters were slightly better but frankly, how can you go wrong with salmon and dill? Was it worth well over £100 for 2? No. I will not be returning.
- saturday nightbrianDined on 1/2/2014I booked this restaurant before travelling to London for the weekend.This was a birthday treat for my wife and after looking at the website for the restaurant with its A lounge, I decided it would be nice to have dinner at 9.00 pm then a few cocktails there. Half way through the meal the bar staff started to clear tables and chairs at the request of a disgruntled customer who had obviously booked the restaurant for a private function. While no one rushed us to finish our meal it was a very uncomfortable experience. Then it turned out the A lounge was also booked for a private function. A lovely meal spoiled.
- Good all RoundsotonpantsDined on 31/1/2014The food was delicious, and although a smaller choice, it had abit of everything. Service was good, although i would have preferred all the drinks to be on one menu and not across 3/4. The decor was superb and had a great feel to it. Very few minors, one being that a bit of plastic was in my wife's pate, but staff very apologetic and resolved issue well. It didnt stop her cleaning the plate :-). As the bar is right next to the restaurant area, it did eventually become difficult to talk, but other than that good night and great value for location.Special Features:
- Great Location & Taste CardGlutenFreeDinerDined on 31/1/2014I picked this restaurant for its central location and because it qualified for the Taste Card on a Friday. I ended up having to expand my party size from 2 to 4 which was easy to do. We had plenty of room, good service and everyone enjoyed their meal. The Taste Card made this meal a great value, otherwise this would have been a little pricey for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Jan mealWelshgirl40Dined on 30/1/2014Service for the first hour was excellent, very attentive, but towards the end of the evening, there seemed to be a shortage of staff compared to the number of diners, and we had to wait longer to get service, but the waiters were pleasant and cheerful throughout the night. Food was great, and beautifully presented, especially the haggis - simply delicious with heavenly creamy potatoes!!! Drinks seemed rather pricey (wine and cocktails); I appreciated the price of the single malts though and the shots were generous measures. Have dined here before, and shall continue to do so - lots of happy memories and THE place for single malts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodHuffingForHaggisDined on 29/1/2014Was pleasantly surprised by the food, came here to try haggis and the haggis itself was (to my belief) pretty authentic. We had fish and chips, lamb something (I think) and haggis between the three of us. Lamb dish was the best, oddly enough the mash used in haggis was different from the one that came with the lamb (the lamb one was much better!) and the fish was really good. Deserts were fantastic. Value is actually not bad for where the restaurant is located 3 main + side + 2 desserts and drinks = <£30pp. Dishes initially look small as they come on large plates. Only negative points were: Chips - too salty difference in mash Positive: Pretty much everything else. Smitten by the tipsy lard something desert Overall = positive resultI would recommend this to a friend.
- Got my Haggis hit!FrancisDined on 29/1/2014Had missed celebrating Burns Night so was eager to get my hit of haggis, neeps 'n' tatties. Got exactly what I wanted and even asked for a second helping - very unlike me! When the waitress asked wrily whether we wanted a pudding or perhaps a 3rd serving, I seriously considered it. I starting having thoughts of whether anyone had come up with haggis ice cream yet... Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a booking Friday eveningDisappointmentDined on 24/1/2014I had a booking Friday evening January 25:th, when I arrived it was closed. I did not recieve any information about this and was extremely dissapointed. This was supposed to be one of the highlights during a weekend trip to Londond, from Stockholm.Special Features:
- Very good, but not outstanding!MissVDined on 21/1/2014We have made reservation to celebrate my partner's birthday. Four of us have chosen Beef Wellington with some sides, beef was very tender and delicious, the only downsides were our side orders got mixed up and one of the Wellingtons was medium-well done (even though we have asked for a medium-rare). There was also a lot confusions with whiskey's that we have ordered, they didn't have what we wanted and then they found it, and then they could find the ones they though they have, which was quite amusing and slightly annoying at the same time. Otherwise, given that we have been using tastecard, it was a great value for money evening and overall we have all enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but kept in the darkSimonDined on 17/1/2014It was hard to read the menus at our large corner table, as both the chandelier above and the table lamp at the side weren't working. The extra tea light candles provided when I brought this to our waiter's attention didn't make a lot of difference. The food was good, though, with tender and we'll cooked meat. I'd recommend ordering vegetable side dishes with main courses, as portions are not large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music too loud. Strained toCathyDined on 15/1/2014Music too loud. Strained to have a conversation. Fillet steak very dry. However staff very attentive and welcoming. With so much choice in London, would not necessarily return.
- Go for the haggisScottDined on 10/1/2014Food really good, sit downstairs if you can as atmosphere better.Special Features:
- Service was good and mealSJP1Dined on 9/1/2014Service was good and meal was prompt for our pretheatre requirements but had we not been on the pretheatre 50% deal it would have been poor value. Starter was good but main course of fish and chips had very soggy batter - a shame as the fish was good. Would only go back because of location - close to the Coliseum pre theatrreSpecial Features:
- third time - not so goodSC1962Dined on 8/1/2014what a shame, my Birthday treat as the last two times have been excellent. spoilt by my steak being warm and not hot. it was replaced with no fuss, which was good. but unsure how such a small piece couldve been size stated? perhaps I'll stick to other dishes next time. a lovely restaurant regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate before at the AlbannachShakesDined on 4/1/2014We ate before at the Albannach prior to going to the theatre and thoroughly enjoyed the food but the service was very slow. This time the service was good but the food was not particularly great. My wife previously had the Beef Wellington and also wanted to have it this time. The description said it would come with green beans but in the end spring greens were included. There was no apology or questioning if we wanted them at the time of ordering either. Given the amount of choice locally to eat, I'm not sure we will be going there again.Special Features:
- This is the second time wetriplecoolDined on 24/12/2013This is the second time we have been to the Albannach. The food was great with our first visit. We both had the Beef Wellington and found it to be quite good. Our second visit was disappointing. The service was quite poor and the food was mediocre. The turkey was dry. Perhaps it was our selection. The Hagris that I had for an appetizer was good and the mushrooms on toast was also very good. I enjoyed the atmosphere both times as the décor is quite interesting. The wine selection is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlbanachStevieVIPDined on 23/12/20132nd visit and perhaps everyone had gone home for Xmas. Very quiet so little atmosphere. Good food and good value. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice place to eatBonnDined on 21/12/2013Great location looking out on Trafalger Square. You can see the hustle and bustle outside but its perfectly quiet inside. The decor insite is lovely and great service. Foodwise (christmas menu) variable but all down to personal taste too. Cullen Skink was really good, Salmon pate a little bland (and too much of it). Burger was good but not great (no options on how cooked it was) whilst rump steak was excellent. Great Cocktails too. Value wise was very reasonable i felt, paid much more for less impressive food :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- been at Albannach before buthelenDined on 21/12/2013been at Albannach before but will not go again, the menue seems to have shrunk, the food is not as lovely and the service also below parSpecial Features:
- Great quality for a great price!Roby101VIPDined on 20/12/2013Really nice steak at a very attractive price. Best lunch deal I've found in London and an entirely different experience from the excellent whiskey sampling in the evening..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style but not substanceHungry1Dined on 20/12/2013Food looked good but the beef in the Wellington was tough and those that had steaks said the same. The mushrooms were nice but the carrots weren't cooked. The pudding didn't taste like it was freshly made but more out if the freezer. Give the prices you'd hope for better.Special Features: