Amicus Apple Edinburgh
17 Frederick Street
Edinburgh, EH2 2EYNeighbourhood:
ScottishPrice: £25 and under
Amicus Apple Edinburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amicusapple.com/Edinburgh.html
- Phone: 01312266055
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon!
- Private Party Contact: Amicus Apple Edinburgh 01312266055
A word from Amicus Apple Edinburgh
Situated in the heart of Edinburgh’s New Town, Amicus Apple is the jewel in the crown when it comes to the Capital’s cocktail bars. Boasting an award-winning drinks menu, a delicious food menu and backdrop views of Edinburgh Castle (viewed from the ‘all weather’ terrace) makes it the place to see and be seen in Edinburgh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amicus Apple Edinburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food in a Jaded settingafoodieDined on 23/5/2013When we walked in we were concerned about the meal. The restaurant is jaded and, over the next month, is being revamped. However the food was very good and the staff helpful and pleasant. After its revamp I am sure, provided the manager and his team stay together, it will be a restaurant to visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good value for moneyMartialDined on 19/5/2013The food was very good and very reasonably priced, with a large choice from sandwiches to salads, pork ribs to salmon. The chef is really putting some care into the preparation of his dishes without all the fuss that can sometime accompany a good plate of food. It is all very honest and tasty. The service was great and I would recommend the place for a quick meal before a concert or a stroll to the museum, or simply if you are in town and looking for good food at a reasonable price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchGDadDined on 10/4/2013Service was excellent, really helpful staff, food good, but range of menu limited. Overall good experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food and table serviceshazzaoDined on 5/4/2013Nice food and table service so makes for a very nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday outingsusiebeeDined on 9/3/2013Good food, good value and very good service, staff very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern, good value and nice atmMLavDined on 26/2/2013Visited on a Tue eve, still lively with generally young people, groups etc. Food was excellent for the price, staff were very friendly and had a large range of cocktails. Not at all stuffy or pretentious for a 'wine bar' would definitely recommend and go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect nightBecciDined on 14/2/2013My partner and I had such a great Valentine's at Amicus Apple, the ambiance was great, and the fact that they had a live band just added too that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails were lovely...NicolaDined on 12/2/2013Cocktails were great, food was ok, nothing special , good for a cheap meal. Waiter was attentive however felt rushed after our meal when we said we 'ok the now for drinks' our bill was brought to us without us asking for it.
- I visited the Amicus RestaurantJimKDined on 8/2/2013I visited the Amicus Restaurant in Edinburgh on Friday the 8th February 2013. A very busy restaurant but the welcome was good and a table was waiting for us. The service was excellent and the food was to match. An interesting menue with a good and reasonably priced wine list. I will be visiting this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "we will be backSuziqDined on 4/2/2013Friendly welcome although a bit vague that we had a booking, no rush so plenty time to catch up with friends, and food hot tasty, and very very good.Special Features:
- Birthday night OutKarenh22Dined on 25/1/2013We booked to celebrate my birthday. Had read good reviews about the food at Amacus Apple. We really enjoyed what we ordered but wish we had read more about the venue. It really is suited more to the younger set than us who are in our 40's. It seems to be a place where you start off the night before you head on to the clubs. The beginning of the evening was fine whilst there were other diners and the eating area is separate from the bar. However we sat on for a while to chat and as the tables became vacant, they filled up with groups of young people who were very loud and we were really unable to hear ourselves over the top of them. Cant fault food or service but would go back for lunch rather than in the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalScottydog354Dined on 28/11/2012Hi I took my girlfriend to the resturant on Wednesday evening for dinner and we each had 3 courses(we're greedy). We never had to wait long for drinks or any of our courses which were all presented lovely and tasted even better. I had the waffles for sweet and these were absolutley delicous!! Ive even invested in a waffle machine to try and recreate them!! Service was excellent throughout and the prices were all very reasonable for a city centre restaurant. Will return as soon as i can- hope they dont take waffles off the menu in the meantime!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodTopperDined on 24/11/2012The food was tasty, although the burger was slightly over cooked. The atmosphere was great, service was polite but we had to ask for a few things. All round it was good, and I'll probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little piece of heaven!ScoobyDined on 23/11/2012I haved loved this place since i first stepped into it!! Iv always enjoyed my meals and cocktails here and the staff are wonderful. Thanks Amicus Apple for being a little bit of heaven!Special Features:
- Good pub foodwanderingdinerDined on 22/11/2012Amicus Apple is a lovely bistro centrally located in Edinburgh. Excellent value for money with a good range of food to suit every taste and pocket! The service was excellent. There was also live music which added to the buzz about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good foodFussyfusspotDined on 12/11/2012We went for first time this week. Was looking for somewhere to go for cocktails with a friend but wanted to have a bite to eat too. The cocktails were great, the atmosphere laid back (it was a Monday...) and the food surprised us by being really very good and better than many mid-range restaurants I've been to. We had a cocktail each, bottle of wine and a meal each for less than £40 so great value too. recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found the lighting a bit tooTweedDined on 7/11/2012Found the lighting a bit too dim, making it rather hard to read the menu (white print on a black background). Server seemed to be in too much of a rush to take the orders. Was rather disappointing to have most of the beers on the menu not available - seems as if someone isn't keeping very good tabs on the stock on hand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to Amicus ApplefoodiefanDined on 5/11/2012Having read mixed reviews on Amicus Apple, Edinburgh, was pleased that we had such a nice lunch, friendly waiting staff, good wine...all for a reasonable price. Particularly enjoyed the gooey baked camembert studded with garlic and rosemary served with lovely warm rustic bread. My friend had steak for main course and found it beautifully tender and cooked just as she had asked. The resturant area was very nice, but glad it was quiet as even with only one other table in use, sound seemed to travel and I'd think would be pretty noisy when full. All in all a very pleasant couple of hours!Special Features:
- Surprised how small the restaurantNIKKIDined on 3/11/2012Surprised how small the restaurant area was, however food was excellent, good sized portions, although lighting was poor so reading the menu was a challenge. Service was good, overall no complaints and will be back....Special Features:
- NICE - food, people and pricesCurioTravelsDined on 31/10/2012I'm from India and love local cuisines whenever I travel anywhere. They are located at one of the good places in Edinburgh and looked quite relaxing from the moment we entered. The food offered matched our expectations and appeared well prepared and presented. The staff was helpful and explained us whatever we asked for. We also got a good promotion offer fortunately the day we went. Overall, I don't think my experience of going there could have been any better. Thanks!Special Features:
- WonderfulDRwesthillDined on 29/10/2012Atmosphere more for the younger crowd but great food and excellent value for money. Wild boar and apricot sausages no ordinary 'bangers and mash'!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodRoskoDined on 6/10/2012The only downside to my dining experience was that I didnt realise that Amicus Apple was a loud pub as well as a restaurant (this was an error on my part as I was looking to catch up with a friend that I had not seen in ages).... HOWEVER.... the food was superb and very reasonable prices. Would I go back.... Yes now that I know what it is....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!MichDined on 4/10/2012Went here for a nice relaxing meal with friends after work - food was lovely and cocktail menu extensive - need to go back to sample few more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingshaleziDined on 29/9/2012food was gorgeous, i had the chicken burger with french fries and it was the best chicken burger i ever had, my friend had the parma ham ans also really enjoyed her meal. The waitress was lovely also! will df be back :)Special Features:
- Never Let DownnomnomnomDined on 18/9/2012Amicus does what it says on the tin. We always enjoy our experience here. I had thé chicken and Parma ham, served on de lish butternut squash , one friend had the same , other had the seabass and fennel. Yum!! Service spot on and drinks very reasonable. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought that it was a 2 forfoodieDined on 17/9/2012Thought that it was a 2 for 1 offer on food and was disappointed to find that this was only after 4pm and I could have had the same thing in a resturant along the roa for a 2 for 1 offer. otherwise it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After you move past the barRachelHepDined on 8/9/2012After you move past the bar there is a small intimate dining area. With our DELICIOUS cocktails in hand we were sat at a booth.Starters divine - I had beetroot houmous and pittas and my boyfriend had chorizo and a generous portion of crusty fresh bread. Main meal I had steak which was a sirloin so rather large so I didnt eat all of it but it was cooked to order. Boyfriend a bit dissapointed as the duck was accompanied by a very strongly flavoured jus - I tasted it and thought it went well just a bit too much of it. He had belgian waffles (nice) and I had an espresso - without a coffee menu I just asked for baileys to be added. A coffee menu would beneficial. Nice staff very attentive. All in all a lovely visting. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly GreatHungryHoraceDined on 5/9/2012Went along for a staff night out. We had one extra more than we'd booked for which was fine, although a bit crammed. Great atmosphere in the place, cool tunes etc. The food was very nice indeed, generous portions and tastey. They only got one order wrong but it was quickly rectified. Everyone commented on how they liked the venue and really enjoyed the food. After the main course we chatted for a while as we looked forward to desert. The waitress came and asked if we'd like coffees? Eh, not yet, can we have the desert menue please. Sorry, kitchen closed at 9pm. Hmmm, we'd booked for 7pm and we were not aware of this bizarre ritual of a kitchen closing at 9pm??!!! It didn't spoil the evening but we all like a bit of pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuJayneVDined on 2/9/2012did this for 4 of us on iPhone app. was festival fireworks night and was fully booked. great place just off Princes Street. outside tables x 3 and outsid seating/smoking area. lovely place to eat. food is great. really good menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseBelleDined on 1/9/2012Booked this restaurant after reading reviews. So glad we did. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Food was delicious with generous portions and very reasonably priced. Good cocktail list and wine list. My friend ordered a cocktail made with "nutella". Staff informed her that there would be a delay and apologised as they had sent someone out to buy a jar as they had run out. Well done. Not all restaurants would do that. The other diners were considerably younger than my friends and I but we were made to feel welcome and had a very nice evening. Would recommend Amicus Apple. Is child-free in evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always enjoy Amicus Apple,Greer17Dined on 25/8/2012I always enjoy Amicus Apple, their food and cocktails are first class. Only issue I had on this occasion was the service. We were reminded on three separate occasions that we needed to vacate the table by 19.30, the bill was slow in arriving and the cocktails we ordered where not what we actually received. But overall the staff are pleasant and the food was really good and to be fair I have never had an issue with the service previously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchRachel21Dined on 19/8/2012Went for sunday lunch during the festival season. Enjoyed the '3 small bites' for £9.95 option - good sized portions and provided good opportunity to taste different plates. Has become one of my fave restaurants in Edinburgh by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, but too busy to serve itreviewernicknameDined on 17/8/2012The food was great but we were severely lacking in waiting staff - occasionally having to get up and go find them to ask for more drinks/our plates to be cleared and offered desserts - a very busy friday night during the festival to be fair!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amicus Apple, Aug 2012EHfoodieDined on 11/8/2012Amicus Apple is a contemporary bar/restaurant in central Edinburgh, serving quality food at a fair price. The service was fast and friendly (quite an achievement for a busy Saturday evening in festival season), and the menu offered a variety of well presented starters and mains (we were too full to sample the desserts on this occasion). After sharing a starter of delicious chicken skewers, marinated in lemon and herbs, I enjoyed a beautiful breast of duck, which was served according to my preference (nice touch), whilst my partner made light work of the Thai chicken curry (also available as a vegetarian option). As the restaurant also serves as a cocktail bar, this is not the venue for a quiet meal, but a great place to dine with friends.Special Features:
- We booked at Amicus AppleNC22Dined on 7/8/2012We booked at Amicus Apple after hearing about the fantastic range of Cocktails available. The Cocktails did not disappoint and the Mista Bakewell was divine; great for a sweet tooth! The menu was also impressive and reasonably priced. I had the Steak Burger and the portion was very large, lots of chips. Service was also very good and timely. Would recommend to any Cocktail lovers at reasonable prices. Also outside seating for hot days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic value and clearlyGirlsthatDineDined on 1/8/2012Fantastic value and clearly popular for casual dinner wth friends. The food was tasty and the menu was varied and unpretentious, with something to suit everyone. Will defnitely revisit and would not hesitate to recommed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOlivesandwineDined on 31/7/2012Outstanding service, very attentive but invisible at the same time - just what you want when enjoying a romantic dinner. The food was very good, the wine lovely and the complimentary glass of Prosecco for our Anniversary was a real surprise treat. We felt very special indeed. We will definately return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchLike2dineDined on 28/7/2012Good ambiance, lovely food, wonderful cocktails. The waitress did her job well but if she had just smiled once it would of made a Hugh difference!
- Nice food, shame about the drink!Dave56Dined on 27/7/2012Very tasty food, friendly waiting staff, but disappointed with lack of of standard blended whisky - plenty of fancy malts but none of the usual popular pub or supermarket brands such as Grouse, Whyte and Mackays or Bells - in fact the barman disparaged me for asking for it..... so we went somewhere else to drink later where they were not to snobby to serve it! Get a grip guys, get back to reality and sell a selection of blends.
- Very quiet for a friday night.bananaDined on 20/7/2012Very quiet for a friday night. Not much atmosphere but the food and drink made up for that. Our server was lovely yet another waitress kept getting our first drinks order wrong! Though we had to wait for a bit for the correct drinks our original waitress was very apologetic. With the 2-4-1 offer this place is brilliantly priced & there where also promotions on certain drinks. Enjoyable but the bar is more of a dinner then move on kind of placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.