Anderson's Bar & Grill
30 Maryanne Street
Saint Paul's Square
Birmingham, B3 1RLNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £26 to £40
Anderson's Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.andersonsbarandgrill.co.uk/
- Phone: 01212002515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5:30pm - 10pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar
A word from Anderson's Bar & Grill
Situated on St Paul’s Church square, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be – lush, sophisticated décor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there’s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is – of course – hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Anderson's Bar & Grill - Best restaurants in Birmingham ›
Anderson's Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since 24 October 2013
special occasions (189)romance (158)fit for foodies (115)business meals (92)group bookings (75)pre/post theatre (51)outstanding value (50)sunday lunch (25)brunch (11)child friendly (8)good vegetarian options (4)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- What a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/10/2014I was distinctly disappointed with my meal. It was fine, the food was quite nice but that was it. It was only fine. For the price, for the waiting list (three weeks) and from the website I was expecting much more. The service was prompt, too prompt. Within two minutes of our olives landing on our table the waitress was already trying to hurry them away from us, barely touched. I would have liked more of a gap between courses to digest and talk. I had the distinct impression that as diners we were a annoyance to be gotten ridden of immediately. What's more, while our steaks were delicious the sides were very disappointing. The spinach was a cold soppy mess and the potatoes tasteless. I would not go back.
- Lovely food but rushed servicetlmcs2012Dined on 18/10/2014The food was divine, only thing that spoiled it was that the gap between courses was very small, we has finished a 3 course meal with coffee in an hour! No sooner had we taken our last mouthful of one course the other was on its way! Such a shame as the food was gorgeous. The restaurant wasn't full either so it wasn't as if they needed us out for other diners. Would recommend this restaurant though and would like to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SteaksLizTDined on 18/10/2014Had a lovely meal with friends on Saturday 18 November. We all had different cuts of steak which were absolutely delicious. Considering the standard of food on offer the prices are extremely reasonable with delicious liqueur coffees to finish off. Thoroughly enjoyable evening made even better by a surprise dessert for my husband and I to share as it was our wedding anniversary. I think it's a shame the bar doesn't get busy as it's a lovely area and would add to the atmosphere a little after dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flying visit to Birminghamnb1984Dined on 18/10/2014It was my first time in Birmingham and we were going to a concert later on that evening. We were celebrating my boyfriends birthday and it was certainly a good choice. The staff was really polite, friendly and efficient. The food was lovely starter through to desert (including lovely Happy Birthday on the plate and a complimentary drink). All in all we had lovely time and I would definitely be back if in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak HouseAnonymousDined on 17/10/2014The food was fabulous and the service was very good. We came for a meal for my husbands birthday and the restaurant itself was very well decorated. The only suggestions I would make is to maybe improve the entrance a little bit as it feels like you are walking into a poorly fitted office until you reach the bar itself and then it is the complete opposite. Other than that it is a fantastic place to go and the staff are knowledgeable about the food which makes a refreshing change. would definitely recommend to anyone and would eat there again.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealSteakLoverDined on 17/10/2014We got a last minute table so when we arrived we were the second couple in. Nonetheless the restaurant soon filled up so we didn't feel too awkward for long. The food was fabulous. We shared the 30 oz porterhouse and it was done to perfection and the peppercorn sauce was also excellent. For dessert we shared an eton mess which was also lovely. Our bill came to £50 which is excellent value for money (Inc. 2 glasses of wine). I've previously eaten at Jamies Barbecoa where the bill, for a lower standard of steak, was triple. One of the best meals out my partner and I have had in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 14/10/2014We were looking forward to a meal here after reading some good reviews. Booked a table at 8 and when we arrived the guy without an apology went away to set it up. He showed us to our table didn't offer an apology after leaving us to stand nor did he offer to take our coats. His appearance for a restaurant front of house is not good, greasy long hair. Menus came, specials announced then we had to wait for a while for an order. Steak pie no seasoning, very bland. Salmon fish cakes had little sign of salmon, scallops with black pudding was a main, £17 and 5 small scallops with poor black pudding. Surf and turf was excellent as was the pasta tortellini.apologies for the critical review, but it should have been better.
- A gem in the Jewellery Quarter!ScrantasticDined on 11/10/2014This was our second visit to Anderson's, in what was only our second visit to Birmingham. We enjoyed it so much first time around, that my wife and I just had to come back......and this time we brought a friend for good measure! The welcome was very friendly and professional and the quality of the food was exceptional. The staff were extremely attentive and checking that everything was to our satisfaction. They didn't rush us out the door either! It was a relaxing and cosy atmosphere which enhanced our dining experience. Will definitely return again when we come back to Brum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingWince88Dined on 7/10/2014This was our second visit, as we haven't stopped going about how great it is here since the first visit. Actually our favourite place to eat.... food is just perfect and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising Friday EveningAndyMorrisDined on 3/10/2014Looked for a steak type resturant and came across Andersons,appeared to have good reviews.Overall we were impressed with service and quality which was relaxed and informal.Great food,.nice evening.Will use againSpecial Features:
- Excellent, Excellent, ExcellentFumper27Dined on 3/10/2014Think the title says it all. Had a fantastic experience here from start to finish. Food, drink, staff, ambiance were all at the top of their game. Will definitely be back again when in Birmingham next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too bad, a bit disappointingCLW81Dined on 3/10/2014Went to Anderson's to celebrate my birthday with my wife and four friends. I was really looking forward to the meal but actually it was a bit disappointing. My starter was lovely (one of the specials; scallops with crispy pork), but my main (surf and turf) just wasn't as good as expected - the monkfish was a tiny portion (a cylinder, perhaps an inch and half across) and the prawn had the oddest texture I've ever experienced, almost like cotton wool - not nice. That said, the service was friendly (if a tad slow), and the wine was delicious. My friends all seemed to enjoy their meals. My wife had garlic prawns to start and agreed that the texture was very odd and not very nice. Based on this experience, I don't think we'll be coming back.
- best steak house in townwillbebackformoreDined on 3/10/2014W e booked here for a special occasion my son and girlfriend had just got engaged and from the moment we walked in we were taken straight to our table. The service was outstanding the staff catered for all our needs. We all had a different steak and were not disappointed. The tables are all spaced out which was lovely as you had your privacy and the place has a really nice atmosphere too. we were all a little full after a starter and main but decided the lime cheesecake looked great so we had one between us and the waitress brought 2 one with congratulation written on the plate for my son and future daughter in law. nice touch. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bosting!BailsDined on 3/10/2014We'd been waiting ages to eat here and it was definitely worth the wait. Absolutely fantastic, would strongly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- orlyDined on 27/9/2014The food was just ok the service was a bit slow but the staff were very friendly and the restaurant was nicely decorated. Overall we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time around not as goodFoodieDined on 25/9/2014I had high expectations following my last visit somewhat disappointed Service just okay Food not as consistent as the last time, chips were just chips previously crisp on the outside soft on the inside this time were greasy. Potatoes appeared to be rushed not prepared as before Shame as I was really blown away the last timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as usual...jayp1Dined on 20/9/2014We have been to Anderson's on a number of occasions and it never disappoints.The food and service is always excellent. I would have no hesitation in recommending .....I will be rebooking again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmosphereJaneydDined on 12/9/2014Went to Andersons for my OHs birthday and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere is cosy and intimate, due to the exposed brickwork, but it's not fuddy duddy or a place just for couples. The staff are attentive (but not in your face) and very knowledgeable about their menu ( truthful too - mine told me that while a particular cut of steak was extremely tasty, it would need a bit more chewing than say a fillet). Our steaks were cooked to perfection, served with chips and crushed potatoes with heaps of garlic - yummy, plus a little side salad. For sweet I had a tequila and lime cheesecake to die for - not too sweet, and a lovely zesty taste of lime. I heartily recommend Andersons if you want to go somewhere that knows it's meat!Special Features:
- Inventive and tasty cookingJohnODined on 12/9/2014My first time at this restaurant. A but surprised when I arrived to find it in a basement, but the welcome was warm and the ambience was good. Good starter of salmon with a burgundy sauce which worked well with the pan fried fish. Crispy bream fillets with a sort if pea stew were delicious. Good veg and outstanding chips. Service was attentive, friendly and pretty (!). Drinks very well priced. What's not to like. Steaks are the big thing st this restaurant, and the ones I saw going to other tables looked tremendous. Good value, well cooked food with a good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable nightMrsbirthdayDined on 12/9/2014Lovely food , we had to wait a long time for drinks and for service but overall a lovely nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!AP2435Dined on 10/9/2014I took my partner to Anderson's for his birthday and the food was worth every penny. The service was fantastic and our waiter was particularly hospitable. The only criticism I have is that the drinks were quite expensive. However, this in no way dampened our dining experience. I would definitely go again and recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ModoFoodieDined on 9/9/2014the last time i went to Anderson's was 5 years ago and i was pleasantly surprised. Probably go again next week with more clients.Special Features:
- SIMPLY AMAZING!!!FoodDudeDined on 6/9/2014Went to the restaurant for our wedding anniversary and were simply blown away!! Amazing service, good decor, food was well presented and the taste was out of this world.. Booked it again as we were leaving!! Definately recommend it to family and friends!Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014We have been to andersons a couple of times before and have enjoyed the food there. However this time we were very disappointed. I ordered mussels for starter and only about half were open to eat. We then ordered sirloin steak which was quite tough. We also ordered the beef rib, but this was extremely fatty and tough too. Really sorry to have a moan, we should really have said something at the time but we were a party of 4 and didn't like to make a fuss.
- Elizabeth83Dined on 6/9/2014Went here on Saturday evening for a meal. Food was delicious. Best fillet steak I have ever eaten and real home made chips.Special Features:
- Definately be backdandpDined on 5/9/2014Fabulous restaurant. Great menu particularly for steaks. Great location. We will certainly be visiting again and again. Lovely atmosphere too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Excellent service from the moment we arrived. Seafood chowder was delicious. Tapas menu is very tempting. Overall : great food, & very charming surroundings. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding FoodSamishDined on 3/9/2014I went to Anderson's with my boyfriend for his Graduation. We waited a while but was told to wait by the bar. We had 2 brilliant cocktails one a pinna colada and the other was a tropical one. The bar tender was very friendly, funny and very entertaining! When we were seated, they took us to a nice romantic table as I had requested. For starters we ordered Pork Belly, Crab Tortellini and the special pan fried scallops with pork. The pork was disappointing, but the other two were outstanding better than some 5 star places! We then had steaks which were also great mine came with monkfish and prawns. We then didn’t want dessert but they gave my boyfriend a congratulations dessert on the house. Ambiance very relaxed. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014As always great food, great service and great value. Highly recommended. Best steak in Brum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place :)Dannyboy88Dined on 2/9/2014Lovely meal food was really nice and the staff where very friendly and overall just a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meat, cooked wellPRD21Dined on 30/8/2014Not the biggest menu I've seen, but plenty here for those who like their steaks. My wife likes hers rare and generally chooses a fillet, so our host suggested a cut that she would like and also suggested that it was cooked slightly more than rare as it was on the bone and the fat would need a bit more time to transfer the flavour. She accepted the recommendation and was rewarded with a steak that she thoroughly enjoyed. My Surf and Turf was very enjoyable - even though I'm not the greatest fan of steak. All our food was presented well, without the fancy bits that add to the cost but not the quality of the food. Good service in a relaxed atmosphere. Well worth a visit and we will certainly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRobADined on 27/8/2014Every morsel of food was exquisitely delicious - even the chips were heavenly. Service was prompt but not pressured which is just what I like.Special Features:
- Lovely Food at Reasonable Pricesfoodtastic2Dined on 26/8/2014Food was perfect and some homemade. Waiter was knowledgeable when i asked him what the ingredients of one of the sauces was. You wpuld expect to pay a lot more for the high quality of food. Discreet sort of place, very nice inside but lacked a bit of ambience/atmosphere...almost too quiet and discreet but food, service and prices I couldn't fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner for TwoElliotSteakKingDined on 22/8/2014The meal overall was fantastic and the best served steak I have ever tasted, Firstly we had the rustic bread for the table where you get two wholemeal and two white pieces of bread which is beautiful and warm, For starters i had the lamb kidneys which were cooked perfectly and the sauce it was in was divine! wish I saved some of my bread haha! My other half had the oak cooked duck which was also cooked to perfection and had a beautiful oaky taste. We both had the anguss 6oz fillet which was also cooked to perfection of how it was required. To compliment the steak we had the potatoes of the day for 2 which was also beautiful and soft and then a a side salad which was a nice side salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite favorite restaurantJeneralDined on 21/8/2014If you love steak Anderson's cannot fail. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but not our last!SophieFoodieDined on 20/8/2014Arrived at Anderson's for my partner's birthday meal and were greeted by friendly and helpful staff who took our coats for us. Menu was fantastic and also had non-steak options including a vegetarian option. Food arrived very quickly and plates were hot and the food was not cold. Puddings were beautiful and my partner's was served on a large plate with Happy Birthday written on with piped chocolate and a candle in the top of the pudding! Servers went above and beyond to provide a beautiful ambiance - will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality Staek HouseMetalmickyDined on 16/8/2014I am sure the owners would try to tell you they do other dishes on the menu apart from steak which i fact they do & all our starters were non beef related & were equallty very tasty especially the pork belly,however when you visit Andersons the high light of your evening is the staeks all served in a very rustic form of presentation with a side salad & choice of chips or potatoes. All four of us could not fault the quality & indeed value of our meal the only gripe was that my steak ordered medium rare & came out very rare it had to go back for a few more minutes of cooking but problem was quickly rectified & came back to me with a fresh portion of chips. We have visited this restaurant on & off since it opened & it never lets you down !Special Features:
- Never fails to impressLuvFoodDined on 16/8/2014I have visited Andersons on more than one occasion and am always delighted with the experience. The food is amazing and the ambience offers diners a fantastic menu and top quality food without being over pretentious.Special Features:
- 1st timeAndy73Dined on 16/8/2014Very impressed. Great all round experience and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Excellent tasty steakHowieDined on 15/8/2014Ordered hanger steak, med/rare and very tasty. Colleagues rib eye looked excellent and cooked perfect medium rare. Portion size good, but more chips required! Ripasso wine £25 and complimented steak nicely. Would try house red next time. Good ambiance.Special Features: