Anderson's Bar & Grill
30 Maryanne Street
Saint Paul's Square
Birmingham, B3 1RLNeighborhood:
EnglishPrice: £26 to £40
Anderson's Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.andersonsbarandgrill.co.uk/
- Phone: 01212002515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5:30pm - 10pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar
A word from Anderson's Bar & Grill
Situated on St Paul’s Church square, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be – lush, sophisticated décor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there’s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is – of course – hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Anderson's Bar & Grill - Best restaurants in Birmingham ›
Anderson's Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
262 reviews since 19 May 2014
special occasions (193)romance (163)fit for foodies (113)business meals (96)group bookings (79)pre/post theatre (54)outstanding value (49)sunday lunch (25)brunch (9)child friendly (7)outdoor eating (3)good vegetarian options (3)Show More
- Inventive and tasty cookingJohnODined on 12/9/2014My first time at this restaurant. A but surprised when I arrived to find it in a basement, but the welcome was warm and the ambience was good. Good starter of salmon with a burgundy sauce which worked well with the pan fried fish. Crispy bream fillets with a sort if pea stew were delicious. Good veg and outstanding chips. Service was attentive, friendly and pretty (!). Drinks very well priced. What's not to like. Steaks are the big thing st this restaurant, and the ones I saw going to other tables looked tremendous. Good value, well cooked food with a good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable nightMrsbirthdayDined on 12/9/2014Lovely food , we had to wait a long time for drinks and for service but overall a lovely nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!AP2435Dined on 10/9/2014I took my partner to Anderson's for his birthday and the food was worth every penny. The service was fantastic and our waiter was particularly hospitable. The only criticism I have is that the drinks were quite expensive. However, this in no way dampened our dining experience. I would definitely go again and recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ModoFoodieDined on 9/9/2014the last time i went to Anderson's was 5 years ago and i was pleasantly surprised. Probably go again next week with more clients.Special Features:
- SIMPLY AMAZING!!!FoodDudeDined on 6/9/2014Went to the restaurant for our wedding anniversary and were simply blown away!! Amazing service, good decor, food was well presented and the taste was out of this world.. Booked it again as we were leaving!! Definately recommend it to family and friends!Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014We have been to andersons a couple of times before and have enjoyed the food there. However this time we were very disappointed. I ordered mussels for starter and only about half were open to eat. We then ordered sirloin steak which was quite tough. We also ordered the beef rib, but this was extremely fatty and tough too. Really sorry to have a moan, we should really have said something at the time but we were a party of 4 and didn't like to make a fuss.
- Elizabeth83Dined on 6/9/2014Went here on Saturday evening for a meal. Food was delicious. Best fillet steak I have ever eaten and real home made chips.Special Features:
- Definately be backdandpDined on 5/9/2014Fabulous restaurant. Great menu particularly for steaks. Great location. We will certainly be visiting again and again. Lovely atmosphere too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Excellent service from the moment we arrived. Seafood chowder was delicious. Tapas menu is very tempting. Overall : great food, & very charming surroundings. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding FoodSamishDined on 3/9/2014I went to Anderson's with my boyfriend for his Graduation. We waited a while but was told to wait by the bar. We had 2 brilliant cocktails one a pinna colada and the other was a tropical one. The bar tender was very friendly, funny and very entertaining! When we were seated, they took us to a nice romantic table as I had requested. For starters we ordered Pork Belly, Crab Tortellini and the special pan fried scallops with pork. The pork was disappointing, but the other two were outstanding better than some 5 star places! We then had steaks which were also great mine came with monkfish and prawns. We then didn’t want dessert but they gave my boyfriend a congratulations dessert on the house. Ambiance very relaxed. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014As always great food, great service and great value. Highly recommended. Best steak in Brum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place :)Dannyboy88Dined on 2/9/2014Lovely meal food was really nice and the staff where very friendly and overall just a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meat, cooked wellPRD21Dined on 30/8/2014Not the biggest menu I've seen, but plenty here for those who like their steaks. My wife likes hers rare and generally chooses a fillet, so our host suggested a cut that she would like and also suggested that it was cooked slightly more than rare as it was on the bone and the fat would need a bit more time to transfer the flavour. She accepted the recommendation and was rewarded with a steak that she thoroughly enjoyed. My Surf and Turf was very enjoyable - even though I'm not the greatest fan of steak. All our food was presented well, without the fancy bits that add to the cost but not the quality of the food. Good service in a relaxed atmosphere. Well worth a visit and we will certainly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRobADined on 27/8/2014Every morsel of food was exquisitely delicious - even the chips were heavenly. Service was prompt but not pressured which is just what I like.Special Features:
- Lovely Food at Reasonable Pricesfoodtastic2Dined on 26/8/2014Food was perfect and some homemade. Waiter was knowledgeable when i asked him what the ingredients of one of the sauces was. You wpuld expect to pay a lot more for the high quality of food. Discreet sort of place, very nice inside but lacked a bit of ambience/atmosphere...almost too quiet and discreet but food, service and prices I couldn't fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner for TwoElliotSteakKingDined on 22/8/2014The meal overall was fantastic and the best served steak I have ever tasted, Firstly we had the rustic bread for the table where you get two wholemeal and two white pieces of bread which is beautiful and warm, For starters i had the lamb kidneys which were cooked perfectly and the sauce it was in was divine! wish I saved some of my bread haha! My other half had the oak cooked duck which was also cooked to perfection and had a beautiful oaky taste. We both had the anguss 6oz fillet which was also cooked to perfection of how it was required. To compliment the steak we had the potatoes of the day for 2 which was also beautiful and soft and then a a side salad which was a nice side salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite favorite restaurantJeneralDined on 21/8/2014If you love steak Anderson's cannot fail. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but not our last!SophieFoodieDined on 20/8/2014Arrived at Anderson's for my partner's birthday meal and were greeted by friendly and helpful staff who took our coats for us. Menu was fantastic and also had non-steak options including a vegetarian option. Food arrived very quickly and plates were hot and the food was not cold. Puddings were beautiful and my partner's was served on a large plate with Happy Birthday written on with piped chocolate and a candle in the top of the pudding! Servers went above and beyond to provide a beautiful ambiance - will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality Staek HouseMetalmickyDined on 16/8/2014I am sure the owners would try to tell you they do other dishes on the menu apart from steak which i fact they do & all our starters were non beef related & were equallty very tasty especially the pork belly,however when you visit Andersons the high light of your evening is the staeks all served in a very rustic form of presentation with a side salad & choice of chips or potatoes. All four of us could not fault the quality & indeed value of our meal the only gripe was that my steak ordered medium rare & came out very rare it had to go back for a few more minutes of cooking but problem was quickly rectified & came back to me with a fresh portion of chips. We have visited this restaurant on & off since it opened & it never lets you down !Special Features:
- Never fails to impressLuvFoodDined on 16/8/2014I have visited Andersons on more than one occasion and am always delighted with the experience. The food is amazing and the ambience offers diners a fantastic menu and top quality food without being over pretentious.Special Features:
- 1st timeAndy73Dined on 16/8/2014Very impressed. Great all round experience and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Excellent tasty steakHowieDined on 15/8/2014Ordered hanger steak, med/rare and very tasty. Colleagues rib eye looked excellent and cooked perfect medium rare. Portion size good, but more chips required! Ripasso wine £25 and complimented steak nicely. Would try house red next time. Good ambiance.Special Features:
- Perfect as everOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/8/2014We haven't eaten at Andersons for a while as we used to live just around the corner and have found last minute bookings are never possible as its always fully booked! it was worth the wait, booked easily via the open table app we have looked forward to eating there again for weeks now. we weren't disappointed, the service was attentive and prompt, the location as secret and romantic as it has always been and the food was just perfect! Also accommodated a special request for a birthday cake which they sourced for me and added to the bill, couldn't have made it any better. Thoroughly recommend this place, £ for £ it is certainly my joint favourite place to eat in the city!Special Features:
- Andersons Bar & Grill 15 AugustClivefDined on 15/8/2014Four of us were there to celebrate my birthday and it was just right! Sarters and desserts were excellent but we did query the main course as we all had the same (surf and turf) and the steaks seemed to be two the same and two different - the ladies' steaks looked almost like fillet whereas the mens' were thinner and consequentlymore well done.Apparently this is due to the way in which sirloin is cut from the main piece, as the M D' explained afterwards.Service was attentive without being intrusive and the ambiance was busy but not too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning EveningCa86Dined on 9/8/2014I took my partner to Anderson's on Saturday last, as a surprise for his birthday. We had an absolutely great evening. The staff were friendly and attentive, the venue was clean and welcoming. As my partner commented 'a real hidden jewel. We had starters and main courses, which were absiolutely delicious - the T-bone steak was outstanding, perfectly cooked and melted in the mouth. I mentioned - as an aside - that it was his birthday and at the end of our meal, we did not order dessert - a complimentary ice cream with a candle and Happy Birthday in chocolate on the serving plate arrived - finishing off what was an exceptional evening. I would certainly recommend Andersons. Cathie H.Special Features:
- FantasticMaisie012Dined on 9/8/2014We had heard that the food at Andersons was amazing and we were not disappointed. The fillet steak is to die for. The staff are very polite and friendly without being overbearing. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food.....JazzmanDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food at Andersons, they never fail to amaze me how good everything is, lovely staff and a superb ambience. Would always go back to Andersons for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Place!!FoodyAwardsDined on 4/8/2014Great food, vibe and definitely good value for the standard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful food, lovely atmosphere.L4ur484Dined on 30/7/2014We arrived at Anderson's at 7.00pm, however our table wasn't booked until 7.30pm. We were advised our table was available so we went straight through. The staff were very friendly, knowledgable and ran the specials off the top of their head with ease. We had the sharing porterhouse steak which was cooked perfectly and the Passion Fruit Soufflé for desert was INCREDIBLE! I would definitely recommend Andersons for a lovely meal in an amazing setting. I will be eating here again without a doubt! Only slight drawback was the length of time to wait for the table to be cleared after each course but it is worth the wait for the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SteakShabaDined on 29/7/2014Great location for a pre- entertainment meal as The Jam House is a stones throw away. The decor was great with the cellar appearance (open brick and wooden beams) appropriate for the old Jewellery Quarter location. Staff were very friendly and on top of there game regarding efficiency and timing between courses. The meal was excellent. My wife and I had a three course meal with coffee and alcohol plus a couple of side dishes. We probably over indulged but we wanted to make the most of our special occasion. Everything we ordered was distinctly fresh and well prepared and garnished. I will be going back with friends as I feel I can trust the quality. Also the American pale ale was a great reminder of trips to the states.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in yearstheemstarDined on 28/7/2014We visited Anderson on a Monday evening. It was a great meal in a great venue. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my experienceMandA2707Dined on 26/7/2014My husband and I have a wonderful evening at anderson's bar and grill. The food was very very good. The steak cooked just the way we like. Staff are very polite and cheerful, they make our wedding anniversary so special. Even my desert has happy anniversary written on the plate. We definite will go back again next year. Thank you again for giving us such a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must go restaurantParchy99Dined on 25/7/2014I have wanted to go to Andersons for some time but for one reason or another It was always put off for a rainy day. Well I have been now and I know what I have been missing. Wow. Beautiful restaurant, great atmosphere, fabulous service and the food. The food was delicious. I ordered the chowder off the specials menu and it was honestly the nicest food I have eaten in 10 years. Stunning. The vast array of steaks on offer is awesome. I chose the 14oz sirloin on the bone. You have to try it. My wife loves desserts and she really enjoyed her sundae. Book, go and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great evening outHappyDinerDined on 23/7/2014Fantastic food, compliments to the chef. The staff were friendly and attentive. The dimmed lighting gave it that romantic feel which was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for making my evening so special, will definatly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/7/2014Steaks were all fantastic and cooked as promised. Service very good. Will definitely eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thegraduate1Dined on 22/7/2014We had a post graduation dinner so it was a special occasion and other family members joined us from Worcestershire. Non of us had visited Andersons before. I particularly loved the fact it was a cellar - added atmosphere and quite unusual. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. The 7 of us shared bread and olives as a starter- absolutely delicious. The main courses came and they too were excellent. We chose both fish and steaks as main courses and all comments were very very complimentary. Puddings too were thoroughly enjoyed by all. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and hope to visit again when back in Birmingham.Special Features:
- Best Steak HouseHowellrhDined on 21/7/2014I've been to many steak houses, from New York to LA, and this one is better than any i have ever been to. the menu is original, and the Hangar steak in particular is amazing here. The starters are great too, and there are other options on the menu besides steak, with one or two veggie options for any friends who swing that way... the staff are also very very friendly, and its also surprisingly inexpensive. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DeliciousRkd04Dined on 18/7/2014After several meals elsewhere being so disappointing we desperately needed our faith restoring in eating out. Andersons bar and grill delivered above and beyond with a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, great service and fantastically delicious food at a good price. We will definitely be returning and spreading the word on this great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed night outGillanRocksDined on 14/7/2014This restaurant provides a very comfortable place for an evening meal. The staff were efficient and friendly and the food was of a good standard. The starters were very well prepared and imaginative. The Steaks were cooked OK but nothing special. 2 of our party of 5 had desserts and were impressed. Total cost including two bottles of wine was £190. Overall a good night out and fair value for money.Special Features:
- HOUSE SPECIAL STEAKSsteakoutDined on 12/7/2014We had read all the glowing reports & was looking forward to a great night. Enjoyed the starters but then felt rushed, the mains came out too quick The house special steaks very disappointing.Special Features: