Anderson's Bar & Grill
30 Maryanne Street
Saint Paul's Square
Birmingham, B3 1RLNeighborhood:
EnglishPrice: £26 to £40
Anderson's Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.andersonsbarandgrill.co.uk/
- Phone: 01212002515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5:30pm - 10pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar
A word from Anderson's Bar & Grill
Situated on St Paul’s Church square, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be – lush, sophisticated décor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there’s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson’s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is – of course – hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Anderson's Bar & Grill - Best restaurants in Birmingham ›
Anderson's Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since 6 May 2014
special occasions (190)romance (160)fit for foodies (110)business meals (89)group bookings (76)pre/post theatre (51)outstanding value (48)sunday lunch (21)brunch (7)child friendly (6)outdoor eating (3)good vegetarian options (2)Show More
- Good meat, cooked wellPRD21Dined on 30/8/2014Not the biggest menu I've seen, but plenty here for those who like their steaks. My wife likes hers rare and generally chooses a fillet, so our host suggested a cut that she would like and also suggested that it was cooked slightly more than rare as it was on the bone and the fat would need a bit more time to transfer the flavour. She accepted the recommendation and was rewarded with a steak that she thoroughly enjoyed. My Surf and Turf was very enjoyable - even though I'm not the greatest fan of steak. All our food was presented well, without the fancy bits that add to the cost but not the quality of the food. Good service in a relaxed atmosphere. Well worth a visit and we will certainly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRobADined on 27/8/2014Every morsel of food was exquisitely delicious - even the chips were heavenly. Service was prompt but not pressured which is just what I like.Special Features:
- Lovely Food at Reasonable Pricesfoodtastic2Dined on 26/8/2014Food was perfect and some homemade. Waiter was knowledgeable when i asked him what the ingredients of one of the sauces was. You wpuld expect to pay a lot more for the high quality of food. Discreet sort of place, very nice inside but lacked a bit of ambience/atmosphere...almost too quiet and discreet but food, service and prices I couldn't fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner for TwoElliotSteakKingDined on 22/8/2014The meal overall was fantastic and the best served steak I have ever tasted, Firstly we had the rustic bread for the table where you get two wholemeal and two white pieces of bread which is beautiful and warm, For starters i had the lamb kidneys which were cooked perfectly and the sauce it was in was divine! wish I saved some of my bread haha! My other half had the oak cooked duck which was also cooked to perfection and had a beautiful oaky taste. We both had the anguss 6oz fillet which was also cooked to perfection of how it was required. To compliment the steak we had the potatoes of the day for 2 which was also beautiful and soft and then a a side salad which was a nice side salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite favorite restaurantJeneralDined on 21/8/2014If you love steak Anderson's cannot fail. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but not our last!SophieFoodieDined on 20/8/2014Arrived at Anderson's for my partner's birthday meal and were greeted by friendly and helpful staff who took our coats for us. Menu was fantastic and also had non-steak options including a vegetarian option. Food arrived very quickly and plates were hot and the food was not cold. Puddings were beautiful and my partner's was served on a large plate with Happy Birthday written on with piped chocolate and a candle in the top of the pudding! Servers went above and beyond to provide a beautiful ambiance - will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality Staek HouseMetalmickyDined on 16/8/2014I am sure the owners would try to tell you they do other dishes on the menu apart from steak which i fact they do & all our starters were non beef related & were equallty very tasty especially the pork belly,however when you visit Andersons the high light of your evening is the staeks all served in a very rustic form of presentation with a side salad & choice of chips or potatoes. All four of us could not fault the quality & indeed value of our meal the only gripe was that my steak ordered medium rare & came out very rare it had to go back for a few more minutes of cooking but problem was quickly rectified & came back to me with a fresh portion of chips. We have visited this restaurant on & off since it opened & it never lets you down !Special Features:
- Never fails to impressLuvFoodDined on 16/8/2014I have visited Andersons on more than one occasion and am always delighted with the experience. The food is amazing and the ambience offers diners a fantastic menu and top quality food without being over pretentious.Special Features:
- 1st timeAndy73Dined on 16/8/2014Very impressed. Great all round experience and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Excellent tasty steakHowieDined on 15/8/2014Ordered hanger steak, med/rare and very tasty. Colleagues rib eye looked excellent and cooked perfect medium rare. Portion size good, but more chips required! Ripasso wine £25 and complimented steak nicely. Would try house red next time. Good ambiance.Special Features:
- Perfect as everOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/8/2014We haven't eaten at Andersons for a while as we used to live just around the corner and have found last minute bookings are never possible as its always fully booked! it was worth the wait, booked easily via the open table app we have looked forward to eating there again for weeks now. we weren't disappointed, the service was attentive and prompt, the location as secret and romantic as it has always been and the food was just perfect! Also accommodated a special request for a birthday cake which they sourced for me and added to the bill, couldn't have made it any better. Thoroughly recommend this place, £ for £ it is certainly my joint favourite place to eat in the city!Special Features:
- Andersons Bar & Grill 15 AugustClivefDined on 15/8/2014Four of us were there to celebrate my birthday and it was just right! Sarters and desserts were excellent but we did query the main course as we all had the same (surf and turf) and the steaks seemed to be two the same and two different - the ladies' steaks looked almost like fillet whereas the mens' were thinner and consequentlymore well done.Apparently this is due to the way in which sirloin is cut from the main piece, as the M D' explained afterwards.Service was attentive without being intrusive and the ambiance was busy but not too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning EveningCa86Dined on 9/8/2014I took my partner to Anderson's on Saturday last, as a surprise for his birthday. We had an absolutely great evening. The staff were friendly and attentive, the venue was clean and welcoming. As my partner commented 'a real hidden jewel. We had starters and main courses, which were absiolutely delicious - the T-bone steak was outstanding, perfectly cooked and melted in the mouth. I mentioned - as an aside - that it was his birthday and at the end of our meal, we did not order dessert - a complimentary ice cream with a candle and Happy Birthday in chocolate on the serving plate arrived - finishing off what was an exceptional evening. I would certainly recommend Andersons. Cathie H.Special Features:
- FantasticMaisie012Dined on 9/8/2014We had heard that the food at Andersons was amazing and we were not disappointed. The fillet steak is to die for. The staff are very polite and friendly without being overbearing. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food.....JazzmanDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food at Andersons, they never fail to amaze me how good everything is, lovely staff and a superb ambience. Would always go back to Andersons for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Place!!FoodyAwardsDined on 4/8/2014Great food, vibe and definitely good value for the standard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful food, lovely atmosphere.L4ur484Dined on 30/7/2014We arrived at Anderson's at 7.00pm, however our table wasn't booked until 7.30pm. We were advised our table was available so we went straight through. The staff were very friendly, knowledgable and ran the specials off the top of their head with ease. We had the sharing porterhouse steak which was cooked perfectly and the Passion Fruit Soufflé for desert was INCREDIBLE! I would definitely recommend Andersons for a lovely meal in an amazing setting. I will be eating here again without a doubt! Only slight drawback was the length of time to wait for the table to be cleared after each course but it is worth the wait for the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SteakShabaDined on 29/7/2014Great location for a pre- entertainment meal as The Jam House is a stones throw away. The decor was great with the cellar appearance (open brick and wooden beams) appropriate for the old Jewellery Quarter location. Staff were very friendly and on top of there game regarding efficiency and timing between courses. The meal was excellent. My wife and I had a three course meal with coffee and alcohol plus a couple of side dishes. We probably over indulged but we wanted to make the most of our special occasion. Everything we ordered was distinctly fresh and well prepared and garnished. I will be going back with friends as I feel I can trust the quality. Also the American pale ale was a great reminder of trips to the states.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in yearstheemstarDined on 28/7/2014We visited Anderson on a Monday evening. It was a great meal in a great venue. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my experienceMandA2707Dined on 26/7/2014My husband and I have a wonderful evening at anderson's bar and grill. The food was very very good. The steak cooked just the way we like. Staff are very polite and cheerful, they make our wedding anniversary so special. Even my desert has happy anniversary written on the plate. We definite will go back again next year. Thank you again for giving us such a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must go restaurantParchy99Dined on 25/7/2014I have wanted to go to Andersons for some time but for one reason or another It was always put off for a rainy day. Well I have been now and I know what I have been missing. Wow. Beautiful restaurant, great atmosphere, fabulous service and the food. The food was delicious. I ordered the chowder off the specials menu and it was honestly the nicest food I have eaten in 10 years. Stunning. The vast array of steaks on offer is awesome. I chose the 14oz sirloin on the bone. You have to try it. My wife loves desserts and she really enjoyed her sundae. Book, go and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great evening outHappyDinerDined on 23/7/2014Fantastic food, compliments to the chef. The staff were friendly and attentive. The dimmed lighting gave it that romantic feel which was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for making my evening so special, will definatly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/7/2014Steaks were all fantastic and cooked as promised. Service very good. Will definitely eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thegraduate1Dined on 22/7/2014We had a post graduation dinner so it was a special occasion and other family members joined us from Worcestershire. Non of us had visited Andersons before. I particularly loved the fact it was a cellar - added atmosphere and quite unusual. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. The 7 of us shared bread and olives as a starter- absolutely delicious. The main courses came and they too were excellent. We chose both fish and steaks as main courses and all comments were very very complimentary. Puddings too were thoroughly enjoyed by all. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and hope to visit again when back in Birmingham.Special Features:
- Best Steak HouseHowellrhDined on 21/7/2014I've been to many steak houses, from New York to LA, and this one is better than any i have ever been to. the menu is original, and the Hangar steak in particular is amazing here. The starters are great too, and there are other options on the menu besides steak, with one or two veggie options for any friends who swing that way... the staff are also very very friendly, and its also surprisingly inexpensive. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DeliciousRkd04Dined on 18/7/2014After several meals elsewhere being so disappointing we desperately needed our faith restoring in eating out. Andersons bar and grill delivered above and beyond with a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, great service and fantastically delicious food at a good price. We will definitely be returning and spreading the word on this great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed night outGillanRocksDined on 14/7/2014This restaurant provides a very comfortable place for an evening meal. The staff were efficient and friendly and the food was of a good standard. The starters were very well prepared and imaginative. The Steaks were cooked OK but nothing special. 2 of our party of 5 had desserts and were impressed. Total cost including two bottles of wine was £190. Overall a good night out and fair value for money.Special Features:
- HOUSE SPECIAL STEAKSsteakoutDined on 12/7/2014We had read all the glowing reports & was looking forward to a great night. Enjoyed the starters but then felt rushed, the mains came out too quick The house special steaks very disappointing.Special Features:
- perfectGemmaRayDined on 12/7/2014I took my boyfriend, our 6 year old daughter, his mother and father. The staff were so welcoming, kind and helpful. My daughter is a very fussy eater and they happily made her a meal that was perfect for her, which she loved! All of our starters were incredible. We all agreed the main course was the best steak we had ever eaten and desert was beautiful. I can't thank all of the staff at andersons for making our evening so wonderful and I definitely can not wait to go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SteakPCfoodDined on 12/7/2014We managed to arrange a pre-birthday dinner for my wife and I, (kids gone to grandparents), for a Saturday night. The food was excellent. For starters I had scallops and my wife had the deep fried Camembert. Both where delicious. For mains we both had steak and which where cooked to perfection. We were greedy and ordered a side of mushrooms and a side of onion rings. Both excellent, especially the onion rings. Price was reasonable considering the quality of the food. Would love to go again but we don't often find the time or the money to treat ourselves like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday munchrickjamesDined on 11/7/2014Meal organised night before, managed to book a fantastic table for 4 on a friday evening. Splendid starters, and steak was sublime. Good price too!! Will defo be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A secret gemPoppy1981Dined on 11/7/2014Well what can I say apart from brilliant from start to finish. Best steak ive ever had. I ordered the rare breed dextor sirlon chop that melted in my mouth. Was my partners bday and they wished him happy birthday and wrote it on his dessert which was a nice touch. We will be returning for my birthday in three weeks time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic experiencethankyou1Dined on 9/7/2014I can highly recommend Andersons for a fantastic dining experience. The food, the wine, the atmosphere, and especially the customer service...it was all outstanding quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectlovesteakDined on 5/7/2014Food was brilliant but service felt a little too quick and rushed, better to be fast than slow i guess but felt a little hurried.Special Features:
- What a let downSpenandsarahDined on 4/7/2014The only thing this restaurant has going for it is the cheerful staff. They are friendly and helpful. The starters came out a few minutes after the bread and roasted garlic and as the starter plates were taken the main course arrived. Our table was booked for 6.30 and after 3 courses we left at 7.30 so it was not a relaxing evening. If the food you want to be associated with is quality steak then that's what you should serve - the shorthorn sirloin and the rare breed Dexter sirloin were both very chewy and the chips were undercooked. I mentioned it to the waitress and she said 'oh sorry about that'. Very disappointing and we won't be going back
- very goodwilsDined on 1/7/2014Lovely restaurant with great food, great service and really good value id hav paid double and still been happy well worth going toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday "Steak" outBIGDRWDined on 1/7/2014This was booked through open table and I specially mentioned that it my wife's birthday. This was ignored. The couple opposite us must have also mentioned that it was a birthday celebration as they had balloons on their table and the staff wished him/her happy birthday. We were seated in the "corridor" section of the restaurant despite other more intimate tables being available. The food was good but the main course I had which was Surf & Turf was somewhat minimalist. The miniature piece of Monkfish was delicious but gone in two mouthfuls. The service was good although being in the "corridor" people walking past all the time was tiresome. In addition, whenever someone passed behind my chair due to the floor my chair wobbled.
- Best restaurant in birminghamriceyDined on 24/6/2014Every time I visit you are above and beyond my expectations! Faultless!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak Restaurant in BirminghamSparkyBrumDined on 24/6/2014Fabulous choice from the menu and without doubt one of the best steaks in Birmingham. Menu also offers a choice of alternatives if steak isn't your favourite but then again it is badged up as a steak house. Service was also excellent and the surroundings gave an intimate feel. On top of that the cost is in my opinion extremely reasonable. The bill for 2 with starters, main and a decent bottle of wine was just over £70! You'd pay the same at less impressive steak chain restaurants but it will come nowhere near as good as this place. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:
- My first visittonyDined on 24/6/2014Checked this place out for a future booking for 8 people,the food and service was excellent and I have booked for the 8 as previously mentioned.Would highly recommend after my first visit.Special Features: