220 Corporation Street
Birmingham, B4 6QBNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.annexe.co/
- Phone: 0121 236 1171
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Late Night, Wine
A word from Annexe Birmingham
Hidden away from shoppers on the far end of Birmingham’s Corporation Street, a short walk from the Bullring, Annexe restaurant is a bit of a local secret. Situated in a towering Victorian building, the cosy destination restaurant is attractively decorated in a contemporary classic style – loft-chic light fixtures, bentwood seating, blackboards and dark wood - offering a pleasant urban bustle and laid back, welcoming vibe, all rather reminiscent of a chic Parisian bistro with the same sense of history and romance. Not only French, Annexe’s menu reflects the best of Mediterranean cuisine with a strong Italian influence and a modern and creative twist. In addition to the kitchen’s sophisticated mains is a small selection of delicious sharing platters, light bites and bar snacks, the ideal accompaniment to a pick from Annexe’s wine list. A prix fixe menu is available throughout the week, a purse-friendly choice for pre-payday treats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Annexe Birmingham reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since 25 November 2013
romance (25)special occasions (25)fit for foodies (16)outstanding value (9)pre/post theatre (8)business meals (8)group bookings (7)sunday lunch (4)good vegetarian options (3)brunch (3)outdoor eating (1)afternoon tea (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- A real findzendogDined on 7/11/2014We were up in Birmingham for the opera and our first choice couldn't fit us in. A quick look at Trip Advisor turned up The Annexe and they were able to fit us in and I'm glad they did. It's tucked away at the top of Corporation Street and from the frontage you get no impression of the interior, which is very 1920's with old black and white movies projected onto one back wall and 1920's and 30's jazz playing in the background. Cuisine is mostly French, well presented and delicious. Service attentive. We will definitely come again next time we are in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food and atmosphereanonDined on 23/10/2014Although quiet when we went the restaurant had a very nice atmosphere and staff were very pleasant. Beautiful scallops which I definitely need to have again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!happy2bhereDined on 7/10/2014Dinner - business trip with colleague. I chose scallops to start - fantastic. Shared Cote de boeuf for mains which was beautifully cooked. Dessert ok. Manager asked us for feedback - colleague commented on lack of mint in his starter which stated it came with mint - comment fed back to chef immediately. Good but not intrusive service; waitress' maths a bit dodgy when splitting the bill and 2nd waitress rushed to our table & grabbed the bill when we started to put our coats on, having already paid. She evidently thought we were leaving without paying: however apologised when she realised her mistake. That really irritated me; however all in all a lovely evening. It was my 2nd visit & I shall certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IvonDined on 3/10/2014very atmospheric with jazz music playing in the background and old movies projected on the wall.There was lots of choice on the menu and thoroughly enjoyed the food.Couldnt fault the wine either.Our initial choice of wine wasnt available and the one recommended in its place was probably even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and relaxed, tasty steakSatisfiedDined on 1/9/2014You know, I really enjoyed my fillet steak. It was really nice. Not too expensive either. I would be very happy to return. The waiter was really nice and the staff were really patient considering that we got there ten minutes past last service. The steak was as tender as butter and was very tasty. I very much enjoyed my visit with the annexe. My only moan was that we didn't see a black and white movie in the background, but it should be said that we were there at the very tail end of their lunch service. Easily 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeWanzieDined on 22/8/2014We were in Birmingham for a weekend away to watch the cricket and wanted to go for dinner somewhere really nice but not ridiculously expensive. This fitted the bill perfectly. Beautiful decor and feel to the place, delicious food and good service. Also, one of the best desserts I've ever had in the satsuma, elderflower and pistachio brioche pudding with clotted cream ice cream!Special Features:
- Most enjoyable and memorableTandMasoneDined on 21/8/2014I was looking for somewhere different to dine as a surprise birthday treat for my partner and decided to give Annexe a try based purely on the feedback provided on this OpenTable site; what a find it proved to be!! From the moment we entered the restaurant I just knew that it was the right choice. Every aspect of the evening was perfect. Staff were very friendly, personable, and efficient, the ambience and character was ideal and the food was excellent. The owner, Daniel, even found time, towards the end of the evening, to chat to us, he was extremely friendly, relaxed and good company. He made us both feel very special, which made for a most memorable birthday celebration. We will certainly be returning!Special Features:
- Excellent again!chrisjones1979Dined on 20/8/2014This was the second time I've taken clients here for a meal and again the experience was excellent. All my guests enjoyed their meals and were impressed with the ambience. We particularly enjoyed the scallops and the lamb.Special Features:
- peckishDined on 1/8/2014I dont know where to start, as soon as we arrived staff greeted us and as we wss escorted to our table. the food was exquisite, cooked exactly (excellent chef), one of the best meals lve ever eaten. Service was excellent. There is nothing I can say bad about annexe.apart from we will be returning regularlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet lunchSmilerDined on 1/8/2014Fairly busy which is always a good sign, it was fairly obvious that there were many regulars who most likely came from the local offices. The lunch menu was very limited but did give meat, veg and fish in what I would term as light lunch options. The venue and staff were excellent.Special Features:
- A Real Treatluv2dine56Dined on 31/7/2014The atmosphere was so special, it felt like I had flown to Paris for the evening. Food wonderful and service delightful. An after work get together with old friends turned out to be a real special evening. I will definitely return and recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForksoutDined on 18/7/2014What a lovely little restaurant. Great ambiance and vibe to place, felt as if we were in a Parisienne bistro. We were running late due to motorway traffic, so called the restaurant and they moved our booking back no problem. Staff were friendly, professional & attentive and service was very good - just the right amount of time between courses. Started with a cocktail (limited choice, but excellent quality) and meat platter - all really nice. Mains were gorgeous - the ribeye steak was cooked perfectly and as good as I've had. Wine was priced as you would expect but was good quality. Only minor criticism - it was rather warm inside the restaurant. Overall a fantastic experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great venuesg14Dined on 16/7/2014We went here to celebrate our son's graduation from the University of Birmingham last week. Had a fabulous meal and loved the whole ambiance of the place. So sorry that we only discovered it now at the end of his 3 years in Birmingham! If we'd known about it earlier we would definitely have dined there more often. Please open one near us in Hertfordshire :)
- STAFF WERE VERY WELCOMING.Meme1965Dined on 30/5/2014FOOD WAS EXCELLENT. JUST WISH I HAD HAD ENOUGH ROOM FOR ONE OF THERE DESSERTS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good starterAlbertDined on 19/5/2014The starter was great, I had steak for the main course, the steak was a bit small and over cook compare with Anderson. Overall, the service was good, very helpful, but expect more for the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best YetScotdogVIPDined on 15/4/2014Thought we would give Annexe a try as we were working close by and we were not disappointed. Had difficulty choosing from the menu as several things caught our eye so will certainly return to try others. We both agreed that all 3 courses were excellent and good value for money, so often 1 dish can be a letdown but not at Annexe. Service was attentive without being overbearing and the overall ambience was warm and welcoming. Our new favorite restaurant in Birmingham we will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely owner but service confusedCaroHDined on 11/4/2014Some of the food was good - the cheese tartine horrific - but the rest all enjoyable & good value. However the waitress must have been new, as everything she brought was wrong. They were all very apologetic & offered free coffee, but have to say the chaos was slightly ridiculous. Good atmosphere though & a very nice owner.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014The service was outstanding, staff very friendly and food exquisite. The menu was of good variety and the wine was fantastic. Nice lay out would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service andmickeypigwigDined on 4/4/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being back in ParisBellysupremoDined on 21/3/2014The restaurant was beautiful. It reminded us of a little place we found while strolling the streets of Paris last year. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly and the food was brilliant. Overall we had a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing customer serviceVonnalDined on 20/3/2014Another great night here at Annexe. Despite 1-2 hiccups with the mains the customer service more than made up for it, with the desserts taken off the bill and the owner bringing us complimentary liqueurs. Looking forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableplatycaryaDined on 11/3/2014I've eaten here several times and as usual had a very good meal. This is one of my favourite restaurants in Birmingham. The atmosphere is great and the food very good. Our portions were ample. If I have one comment it's that the menu probably needs refreshing more regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speedy!zsazsaDined on 28/2/2014Food was great but all too fast. Sat down, ordered, starters and to main in 35 mins. Also tables for 2 right on top of each other with very little privacy. Waitress then proceeded to re-lay the very close neighbouring table in the middle of us eating and talking even though the table wasn't used again whilst we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFittiDined on 25/1/2014Fab food quality and great value lunch menu, changes daily, wanted to eat EVERY option. Been before and service is always impeccable. Moved a tree for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationGaz5340Dined on 28/12/2013Lovely ambience and the food was fabulous. Wil go back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last friday eveningHelmutDined on 29/11/2013Had a fantastic meal at annexe last friday evening. The food was delicious and the service was attentive without being intrusive. Would highly recommend it and will definitely visit when in Birmingham again. Make sure you find out where it it first though as our taxi driver couldn't find it and took us to the wrong place we were very late annexe were fine about it!Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the Annexe Birmingham reviews archive.
- A gem in the centre of Birminghamup2londonDined on 20/11/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We were given a warm welcome by professional friendly staff. Loved the décor and the old films and music which was not too distracting. The food was delicious. Well worth a visit . We`ll certainly return if we have to visit Birmingham again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had read the rave reviewsGingerEaterDined on 9/11/2013I had read the rave reviews so went expecting to be disappointed - rarely do restaurants live up to their billing. However we were not in any way disappointed. We had a beautiful day menu lunch served with attentiveness and good humour, it was prompt, but well prepared and the ambience in the restaurant a decided plus. We will be returning not just for lunch but to check out the evening meals. Bravo Monsieur!Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceSashaDined on 8/11/2013A gem of a restaurant Great setting, very pleasant staff and extremely well cooked delicious food Wont be disappointed by the wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchminimillsDined on 2/11/2013I booked a table here after reading all the amazing reviews on toptable. My sister & I had arranged to meet in Birmingham for a day of shopping but we'd never been to Birmingham before and so didn't know where was good to eat. I'm so glad we went to the annexe, the food was great, service polite & attentive & the music was really lovely. We will definitely be returning for our next shopping trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchDinnerdatesDined on 31/10/2013We stopped off in Birmingham on our way north. Lunch at the Annexe was a treat. The food was good, very reasonable and the service was very attentive. I would recommend it to others and would go back myself.jjSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having dined here before IBumbleDined on 25/10/2013Having dined here before I was looking forward to our meal but was underwhelmed. I ordered the scallops which were apparently very popular but sent the first lot back as they were gritty (I was told this was black pepper - I know the difference) and the second attempt arrived just as my partner finished his dinner. It is possible that it was my personal taste that meant I didn't enjoy this dish but we won't be rushing back. We were given a complimentary drink and the manager was very apologetic.
- LovelyalihalliDined on 18/10/2013My idea of how a restaurant should be. Welcoming staff, excellent ambiance - helped by the showing of black & white films on the wall above the kitchen. Food was delicious and beautifully cooked (and plenty of it). We will go again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely restaurant. StaffLeckerDined on 4/10/2013A lovely restaurant. Staff went out of their way to serve us.Special Features:
- Something SpecialDevonDivaVIPDined on 20/9/2013What a find! We were moving our son to Birmimgham University and wanted to have a really nice meal on our last night with him, so read reviews and chose Annexe. This is a wonderful restaurant! Really charming service, fantastic food - terrific chef - and excellent wine list in an elegant but lively atmosphere. We loved the black and white Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers films being projected onto the wall accompanied by fun fifties music in the background, just loud enough to be pleasant but not so loud as to inhibit conversation. This restaurant will be our top choice for future visits to Birmingham. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodrachDined on 10/9/2013Really excellent food, and first class service from the staff - lovely place would definaltly visit again when I am next in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Placeshunt36Dined on 12/6/2013My husband and I dined at Annexe whilst visiting Birmingham. We were not disappointed. The restaurant has a lovely ambience, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Simply SuperbAussieRobDined on 7/6/2013Service, Food, Ambience, Value Superb. This is a real find, no wonder so highly rated on tripadviser. Love the building and décor and darkness. Loved the food and service. This is a must visit if you are in town for one night. Could not recommend it more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great ambienceAdrianDined on 21/5/2013Two of us were working hard and rather bored by the usual Broad St routines. Annexe was a wonderful change. A lovely quiet room with quirky decor, but it was the food and wine which were so good. The crab souffle was superb, as was my lemon sole. I really do recommend this restaurant which deserves to do well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place, StaffIanieDined on 17/5/2013What a great place, Staff helpful, food excellent, even the owner ensured that everything was just right. When the bill came they had missed off a bottle of wine, so we informed them, the owner was so pleased that he offered us a free drink and spent 10 mins with us telling us about why he set the restaurant up very interesting. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.