23 Stone Street
Cranbrook, TN17 3HFNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurant-apicius.co.uk/
- Phone: 01580714666x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Wednesday to Friday 12:00pm to 2:00pm; Sunday 12:00pm to 2:00pm (Last Orders)
Dinner:Wednesday to Saturday 7:00pm to 9:00pm (Last Orders)
Please telephone the restaurant if you are unable to book online as table configurations may change
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Timothy Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Apicius
Tucked away in the narrow streets of this pretty Kent town, Michelin-starred Apicius delivers first-class cooking in a glass-fronted, timber-clad building dating back to 1530. Low-beamed ceilings and old timbers are teamed with high-backed chairs, lightwood floorboards and crisp white tablecloths to make an intimate and relaxed setting for some truly accomplished cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Apicius - Best restaurants in Cranbrook ›
Apicius reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since 25 October 2013
special occasions (55)fit for foodies (53)romance (26)outstanding value (22)sunday lunch (15)business meals (12)good vegetarian options (8)brunch (3)disabled access (3)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014An exceptional meal at Apicius. The service is warm and friendly, the atmosphere relaxed and the food outstanding. The most calm and homely Michelin star restaurant I have dined in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly judgedSpringfieldDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious birthday dinner here. We hadn't been in for a while and wondered if it would be as good as we remembered - it was better. The food is seasonal, flavours are perfectly judged and service is attentive but not intrusive or over-pretentious. Whilst part of me likes fresh flowers on the table and candle-light, you won't find that here but I guess that also means you can have a meal here with a colleague or a client or a friend without feeling like you're on a date! If you enjoy clever cooking that isn't just style over substance, look no further.Special Features:
- A very satisfied customerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014This restaurant never fails to deliver. Amazing food, friendly atmosphere, and ridiculously good value given quality of fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regulars hereBournefreeVIPDined on 1/10/2014Every so often when eat out we want perfection , so we come here and are not disappointed . Lovely rabbit ballottine venison , desserts that followed just perfect . This place is a gemSpecial Features:
- The understated delightPairoffoodiesDined on 26/9/2014You could quite easily miss Apicius sitting in the middle of Cranbrook high street but you'd be kicking yourself if you walked on by. The restaurant was fairly quiet due to a few cancellations however it had a serene atmosphere which felt inviting rather than stifling. The food was beautifully presented and the flavours were well thought out. As a young couple we throughly enjoyed the restaurant as a special treat, we were very warmly welcomed and we shall definitely be returning for another special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treatkentishDined on 24/9/2014Great restaurant. Fantastic food amd a lovely welcoming hostess. Portions just the right size that you can fit in three courses and feel pleasantly but not overly full. Beautifully presented plates. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2xdb2xdbDined on 10/9/2014Excellent as usual. Scallop dish was a great mix of tastes.Special Features:
- Top service with a smileDeevoDined on 6/9/2014Dinner was as enjoyable as ever, with well-presented tasty dishes and fine wine at modest prices. The "Waitre de" was in good form and so service was tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A celebrationPandJDined on 30/8/2014We went to Apicius to celebrate the start of our retirement after 40 years of teaching! It was a lovely evening with excellent food and wine with such friendly service. Recommendations were made to suite our tastes.Special Features:
- Fantastic birthday mealFoodycatDined on 16/8/2014I recently visited Apicius with my husband and a friend on my birthday. We had a fantastic meal, the food was fresh and perfectly cooked with beautiful presentation. The summer truffle starter was packed with flavour and my main course of Brill and mussels was delicate and tasty with a saffron broth. I chose a goats cheese dish for my dessert as I am a great cheese lover and it did not disappoint. It turned out to be an ash coated soft cheese called Wealdway from a Sussex cheese maker. Service was excellent. I would wholeheartedly recommend a meal at Apicius.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysBrettDined on 15/8/2014This is the third time we have visited Apicuis and as on both previous occasions the food was outstanding , well presented and affordableSpecial Features:
- Great food and fabulous wineLisaDined on 8/8/2014As ever, food was excellent - good range of options, delicious and well presented. Wine list is short, but with some amazingly good wines for the price. We were particularly impressed by a pinot grigio by the glass and a bottle of red burgundy that was way better than you would expect - so much so that we are now looking to buy some! We visit Apicius regularly and it has never let us down.Special Features:
- Fabulous food!LobutineDined on 2/8/2014This was the perfect venue to celebrate 34 years of marriage - special food for a special occasion. The service was friendly and prompt, the food to a high standard with some unusual offerings and combinations. My desert consisted of chocolate mousse cake, orange segments, cherries, caramel coated walnuts and goats cheese sorbet - rather too many flavour combinations for me, but each delicious in its own right. The ambience is cosy and friendly the cost quite high. (£40 for three courses) excluding drinks.Special Features:
- Lunch at ApiciuspererashawVIPDined on 25/7/2014We had lunch here and thought the restaurant was delightful and would definitely return if in the area again. We had the broad bean mouse and risotto to start; ox tail and goats chess ravioli for main and the plums for pudding - all delicious! We were the only ones there as it was a late lunch (2pm) but the owner was great and made us feel very welcome and at ease. A great find!Special Features:
- Hidden GemPeebobDined on 23/7/2014If you like a quiet, straight forward restaurant with very good food at reasonable prices, look no further. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyz123Dined on 16/7/2014Excellent food and very original ingredients will be served in this small restaurant with very personal service. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Went to heaven.BiddyDined on 16/7/2014I took my foodie sister out for a special lunch and she was not disappointed. Comfortable spacious surroundings, with no music thank goodness. Glorious food well seasoned, beautifully served that was a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. When ordering pudding we asked for a sample of part of another dessert just to see what it was like - gracefully given with 2 spoons. An all round excellent lunch, well worth the 1 1/2 hour journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApiciusHypocratesDined on 13/6/2014Being wheat and dairy intolerant I gave forward notice. On arrival I was asked my name and the young, very good waiter mentioned my dietary needs. The small but perfectly formed restaurant has about 9 tables. Tasteful, discreet décor. The food was without question, probably the best we have ever had. It was truly delicious. The only down side was the waitress, who I believe is the joint owner. She is perhaps a little too familiar, referring to people with dietary problems as "freaks". I took the jibe in jocular fashion, which was how it was intended, but I couldn't help but feel there was an element of sting in the tail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApiciusAggieDined on 18/5/2014We're returning customers and love this restaurant. Its a Kentish gem. They make a special effort for diners with 'special needs'. The chocolate and watermelon desert was a firm favourite. Service is very personal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dmashDined on 11/5/2014I had eaten at Apicus before but I wanted to impress a new friend and it did just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeavenoldiesDined on 8/5/2014Highest quality - wonderful combinations of look and flavour, all prepared to perfection. Personal service in a warm setting.Special Features:
- InterestingfrequentdinerDined on 16/4/2014This is a fine dining experience, where the food and service was good but we were the only people dining at lunchtime so no atmosphere. I have had food as good at half the price, so poor value for money.Special Features:
- Fine diningMustgetoutmoorDined on 4/4/2014Great to find top London quality food this far away from London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really outstanding food andPeterRDined on 3/4/2014Really outstanding food and a meal that will be remembered. Discrete and friendly service. Interesting wine list. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational cheeseboard!WelshrarebitDined on 26/3/2014Tricky to find, even with SatNav and parking in Cranbrook a bit of a nightmare but it was worth it! Beautifully presented plates of food and an exceptional cheese selection. Some fellow diners a bit noisy (it is a small restaurant) and the lighting might be reviewed for additional ambience but would certainly recommend.Special Features:
- Top qualityjules2007Dined on 23/3/2014Once again, Apicius never fails to disappoint. The food, service and ambience was second to none. I would have no hesitation in recommending this restuarant. Thank you ......Special Features:
- pleasant waiting staff niceyoungDined on 22/3/2014pleasant waiting staff nice atmosphere food agreeable.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedAndrewDined on 15/3/2014Table booked 2 months ago, rather randomly. The meal and evening did not disappoint. Great food and service. Catered for dairy-free need without fuss. Of note, American Express not accepted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!FoodmeupDined on 12/3/2014Fully deserves its Michelin star for the menu, the quality of the food and the service. A little gem of a restaurant and very reasonably priced for the stunning food you get. We will definitely be returning...and soon!Special Features:
- Lovely neighbourhood restaurantmesuDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic restaurant with neighbourhood feel and great food. Owner/staff are always very friendly and happy to chat. Food and wine are priced very fairly. One of the ladies serving hadn't brushed up on the new menu and had to check twice to answer straight forward questions about the dishes, which I wouldn't mention normally (as she was very polite, promptly found the answers and we weren't kept waiting long) but as the restaurant has a michelin star I would have expected her to know this. I have been twice and would certainly recommend it and go back again.Special Features:
- Truly delicious food - a realgigglesworthyDined on 7/3/2014Truly delicious food - a real find. In London you'd be paying huge prices for a similar experience. Would definitely go again and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin star dining for £40RO75Dined on 28/2/2014Michelin star dining for £40 for 3 courses! Absolutely first class food, been twice now and standard exactly the same. Small restaurant so book in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Valentine's day lunchElthamDined on 14/2/2014Had a Valentine's day lunch at the restaurant and really enjoyed it. The food was great and good value for money. The owner of the restaurant was very welcoming but not intrusive, just perfect for a romantic lunch.Special Features:
- OutstandingCK2012Dined on 14/2/2014The service was excellent. The wine list a little pricey but worth it. The scallops and rabbit were beautifully presented and simply delicious. The only suggestion I would make is the restaurant needs a bit of background music. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant evening. ServicethebutlersDined on 13/2/2014Very pleasant evening. Service good and food presentation creative. Quite tasty and portion size just about right. A definite place to return to for a memorable meal. Wine options plentiful and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little gemhappydinerDined on 2/2/2014I have eaten here now on half a dozen occasions over the last 4 years and can only say that Apicius is a real joy. Not only is the food and presentation of the highest quality, the menu is both imaginative and well thought out. The front of house is fun and the service excellent whilst remaining informal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and classyHappyCustomerDined on 1/2/2014It is so refreshing to eat delicious food without excessive 'service' - highly recommended both for the quality of the food and the whole dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Mid week fine diningsledger4Dined on 30/1/2014Four of us dined at Apicius last Thursday. It is set in a charming high street. We were greeted and seated immediately. All our menu choices were available. We all ordered different starters and every one was thoroughly enjoyed. My husband couldn't decide on a main course and so asked for a recommendation and proceeded to order it. Again, all four of us thought our main courses tremendous. 2 desserts and 2 cheese boards were ordered. The desserts were amazing, so pretty and a work of art. There are 12 cheeses to choose from and the cheese course allows you to select any 6. Therefore if two people select cheese you can have the entire offering brought to your table. Well worth doing! Brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go there!DallingtondinerDined on 17/1/2014well worth a special trip to Cranbrook - splendid food and excellent (and enjoyable) service.
- Great foodilovefoodDined on 9/1/2014Back for the fifth time and still a good as ever.Great food at sensible prices, a real taste sensation. Will have to go back soon as I NEED to try more of the current menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.