Aqua Restaurant and Bar - Bath
88 Walcot Street
Bath, BA1 5BDNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £26 to £40
Aqua Restaurant and Bar - Bath
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aqua-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 01225471371
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 12pm to 10pm
Friday to Saturday 12pm to 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aqua Restaurant and Bar - Bath
Housed in a spectacular former church house, the Aqua Restaurant and Bar is considered one of Bath’s finest Arts and Crafts buildings. The main dining area, gallery and alfresco courtyard provide a theatrical backdrop for the modern European cuisine. Chef Carlo Abbasciano, originally from Puglia, cites a range of Mediterranean influences on his mostly Southern Italian cuisine. In–the-know foodies have long been flocking to Aqua restaurant and bar to enjoy locally sourced produce, Italian coffee, continental beers, Prosecco and Bellini cocktails. Come for a quick, energy-boosting espresso rapido, or settle in for a three-course meal. Traditional snacks such as Parma ham and provolone cheese with artichoke and sunblushed tomatoes are a delicious accompaniment to a full-bodied Italian red.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aqua Restaurant and Bar - Bath reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since 4 June 2014
romance (3)special occasions (2)group bookings (2)pre/post theatre (2)sunday lunch (2)outstanding value (1)brunch (1)business meals (1)Show More
- Decent restaurant in central BathPC01Dined on 9/11/2013Decent restaurant. We went there on a Saturday night - had to wait 15 minutes for our table, but once seated our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Service was good - the food was fine, nothing spectacular but decent for the price. The bill (excluding tip) came to about £115 for 3 of us, which included a starter, main and dessert/coffee each plus a bottle of wine and we each had a drink at the bar as well while waiting for our table, so good value overall. The restaurant was very hot though, despite the high ceilings, so they may want to consider turning the heating down or opening some of the windows - which are quite high on the walls so shouldn't result in drafts. All in all, a good night out and i'd go back if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food and ok servicesideshowbobDined on 9/11/2013The main course was not as described and the dessert (Creme Brulee) was like curdled custard. The server had to serve over us or even get us to pass the plates to each other as the tables were too close together. We did however get some money off as an apology. I would not go here again and I would not recommend it.
- Almost but not quiteDine2enjoyDined on 8/11/2013Went to Aqua for the second time last Friday and had a good rather than great meal. The sharing plates were excellent, the meats, peppers, truffle oil cheese all exploded your taste buds and the main courses, pasta, chicken and Liver were very good but the desserts were a let down. The Lemon drizzle cake was past it's best as was the cream with it, my cheesecake was good and the pannacota was well made. I had an expresso martini which was ok, but not up to London standards at all. That said, a good meal, very friendly staff, excellent service but it just missed the point.Special Features:
- Nice ambienceFineDinerDined on 6/11/2013Very very nice ambience and friendly staff. Food is good but few items wew disappointing. Have asked for buffalo mozarella and they brought a salad with 50 gr of mozarella (was not in good shape either) We'll go back again becoz it is better than other restaurants in BathSpecial Features:
- Reliable, tasty foodPMacVIPDined on 1/11/2013Menu choice great, Staff excellent and the room is big, buzzy and impressive. Food is reliably good.... rather than outstanding - but great for Groups or to start a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningwinnie34Dined on 25/10/2013We went for a weekend to Bath for Friday/saturday night and searched Top table for a nice restaurant. Aqua was the right choice. We had starters followed by 6 oysters, my husband had a duck main course with cherry sauce which was delicious, i chose the lobster ravioli which again was devine. We shared a chocolate dessert and has a bottle of white wine- the cost of the meal was £80 which we thought was fantastic for the quality of food and the service was second to none. If we had been there for a week we would definately have been back again. If you get a chance to go to this restaurant you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- We had been to this restaurantNaomiCJDined on 16/10/2013We had been to this restaurant a year ago when in Bath for the Xmas markets & had a very good experience so we didn't hesitate to book a table here for dinner. Unfortunately the contrast in experience this time was huge, we were very disappointed overall. We booked this table almost 3 months ago, when arriving we were told our table wasn't ready & had to wait at the bar for about 20 minutes. We then got put at a table right near the bar & proceeded to have not 1 but 5 different people during the course of the night wait on our table as they seemed to wander past. The food this time was completely unremarkable, very bland & my veal was cold! On leaving we then had to identify our own coats! I would not recommend this place at all now.
- The following 329 reviews are from the Aqua Restaurant and Bar - Bath reviews archive.
- Halloween holiday!CazpaDined on 16/9/2013We had a fab meal here on 31/10/13.The restaurant itself is very impressive set in a converted church, but it isn't stuffy- the atmosphere even on a week night was lively and the restaurant was busy. There doesn't seem to be any dress code, but the staff all looked very clean and tidy. The food was good Italian with plenty of choice and a decent and not too expensive wine list. Definitely worth looking up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere.SherlockDined on 29/8/2013We ate here on 26/8/13 after reading various reviews and we were not disappointed. The food was lovely and reasonably priced. When the bill came at the end of the night and were asked "if there was anything they could do" we said... "yes...please book us a table for the following night". We were visiting Bath for a short break and we will definitely head back to this place when we next decide to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday mealFussyeaterDined on 29/8/2013We went to Aqua for our son's 21st birthday. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and our waiter was very friendly and efficient. We enjoyed it do much we will be going back with the rest of our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCarlMDined on 26/8/2013Ate here whilst staying in Bath, food was excellent, and good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening spent hereBathvisitorDined on 23/8/2013Lovely restaurant with great food. Our waitress couldn't have been more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find !Dine2enjoyDined on 9/8/2013I have been eating in Bath for nearly 10 years and only just found Aqua, no excuses. When we arrived at 7pm it was quiet but it quickly filled up and the atmosphere sparkled and I knew it was going to be good. We started with the Aqua sharing plate, bruschetta and pecorino infused with truffle and the flavours were superb. The Duck special and moist Pork cheeks were cooked to perfection and the side dishes added flavour and balance. Excellent desserts a decent macchiato and a couple of bottles of Pink Prosecco, friendly and helpful staff ensured the meal and evening was something we will remember for a while. Next time I must try an espresso martini when I leave the car at home !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticChrisDined on 2/8/2013We ate here on the 2nd night of a 2 night break in Bath and wished it had been the 1st so we could have gone back!! The staff were exceptional, very friendly & relaxed but also proffesional. The food was excellent, came at a good pace and was well presented. Prices were very reasonable particulary when you reflect you are in a major tourist destination. The restaurant is in a converted chapel and they have refurbished it very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVitoDined on 20/7/2013The service and food were absolutely outstanding. I would not hesitate for one second in recommending this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliantbailey001Dined on 6/7/2013The food was first class as was the service we received - the waiters and waitresses were really friendly and couldnt do enough for us! High recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality ItalianDubaiExpatDined on 26/6/2013Excellent starter sized pasta dishes that can be increased to main course size. I had liver as my main which was "Anglo-ised" with a good onion gravy. Not traditional Italian but, nevertheless good quality and large portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful eveningameribritDined on 22/6/2013Having not been to Aqua before, we were delighted with everything about the evening. The atmosphere, buzz and attentive (but not overwhelming) service were all a bonus on top of the excellent value and delicious food - the veal, chicken and lobster ravioli were all devoured. Service was outstanding - I requested some oversalted spinach to be returned, and this was replaced quickly and without any fuss. We will return!Special Features:
- Bank Holiday Monday dinnerGCF20Dined on 27/5/2013All looked good, nice place. Food sounds good but fell short of expectations on the taste front. Just fell short on all fronts - they tried but just didn't live up to expectations. Not bad, just average but promised more.Special Features:
- Sunday night dinner in BathAndreaDined on 26/5/2013We came for dinner on a Sunday night and it was packed - which is always a good sign. The staff was excellent and very friendly. They were busy, but the service was still good. The design of the restaurant is very cool and the seating we had (booth style on velvet benches) was very comfortable. Prices were very reasonable, given the surroundings and the quality of food. One minor gripe we had was that a hen party in the restaurant was very loud, which interrupted the 'dinner for two' that almost every other table seemed to be there for. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ravioliHelloxDined on 19/5/2013Gorgeous venue, great staff, but let down by the main course. The lobster ravioli filling was simply mush inside, there was absolutely no texture to it at all, was like eating baby food. Perhaps overcooked, or over processed, or both?? Also, expected the shellfish sauce to contain some shellfish.Special Features:
- Great value. Amazing service.SpillsDined on 11/5/2013Managed to accommodate putting our booking back by an hour even though booked up. Staff were all quick to help, polite and professional without being overly attentive. Food was all really good - wish I had room for more! Would definitely come back here again if visiting Bath. The 2 of us shared a starter and a dessert, had 2 mains, plus soft drinks and beers and the bill came to about £40 including a tip. Great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceALW24Dined on 10/5/2013I went to Aqua for a girly night with a close friend, who works in hospitality and even she was impressed with the service. The food was so good, I didn't want to stop eating even when full. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Booking no Honoured on ArrivalTopsyTurveyDined on 5/5/2013Unfortunatley I cannot rate this resturant properly as they didnt honour our booking, they said they were too busy to have checked the computer and could nto seat us for a further hour. This was too late for us so we had to then walk the streets of bath looking for a resturant on a Bankholiday Sunday, not at all happy if a resturant cannot honour the bookings made online they should not allow them to be made.
- Sisters night outMumsnightoutDined on 3/5/2013My sister and I booked the restaurant at the last minute as we only arrived in Bath a few hours before. It was a busy Friday night but we were taken through to the bar to wait and have a cocktail while our table was prepared. The service was excellent and we were made to feel welcome and relaxed. We shared some seafood for a starter and had duck and veal for our main courses. It was all delicious. The wine was very reasonably priced and a perfect choice to go with our food. Overall we were very impressed with the restaurant and would definitely recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasentRustyDined on 28/4/2013We both enjoyed our night out at this resturant and the staff were very good to ,we enjoyed the seafood pasta best !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchPhilipB8Dined on 13/4/2013My wife and I had lunch here last saturday. we had booked through 'Top Table' and our reservation was no problem, though it was very quiet at that time in any case. It was nice to find somewhere with quality food, ambiance and service which was so nice and quiet on a Saturday lunchtime in Bath. Though I guess this may change when (if) the weather improves. I have to agree with a previous comment about the toilets being a bit of a let down, although i have used a LOT worse. Would definitely recommend and will return to try the outside dining later in the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceAcoustimaxDined on 30/3/2013Last minute decision to go here after a days shopping in Bath. Nicely done out inside (a bit like a church) and good atmosphere. Food was excellent. Went here as we have always had good meals at Aqua in Bristol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely place.......RobbieDined on 29/3/2013This restaurant is very good value and in a good location. The portion sizes are very good however the desserts are massive! Not a bad thing though. Service could have been a bit better. We were waiting 15 minutes before we were offered drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value, decent foodDevonianDined on 23/2/2013Very pleasant staff, good ambience, reasonably priced and decent foodI would recommend this to a friend.
- First NightCarpeDiemDined on 22/2/2013As soon as we walked in I new this was a good choice. Greeted at the entrance and shown to our table. Staff pleasant and polite. Quiet and romantic ambience. I am not going to ramble on as some do but all I am going to say is when I visit bath I will be eating here again. Both mid 40s wanting something special quiet romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, food variableCavendishDined on 15/2/2013Lovely venue with fab attentive service. Some of the food was excellent but some not up to the standard we would have expected. The king prawn starter was disappointing. No flavour to mushy prawns. were they frozen rather than fresh, I would say so??. Pork cheeks excellent but lobster ravioli although tasty was cold. After saying that would we return......yes but would make sure any sub standard/ cold food went back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aqua Bath50runnerDined on 13/2/2013Everything was very good but the toilet facilities were shocking for an establishment of this kind. Very disappointing that this detail has been missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, good value diningparmenionVIPDined on 8/2/2013Had a weekend in Bath and of the two restaurants we used this was by far the better, good choice on menu, friendly attentive staff and lively atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Fantastic nightLuv2eatDined on 2/2/2013As a visiting couple we were looking for a nice restaurant to round off a fantastic weekend in Bath. We used tabletop website and after seeing good reviews decided to go to Aqua. We were not dissapionted. Fantastic Service, fab food in a very classy restaurant. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was in town so i decidedJaniceVIPDined on 31/1/2013I was in town so i decided to book this place as a good celebration considering it was out last evening. The service was really good, all the waiters and waitress were very attentive and i really cannot fault them. The food was alright and if i am perfectly honest my seabass risotto was ok and i can taste that my seabass was not fresh and taste rather fishy but the risotto did taste good though. To finish the dinner i ordered the mixed dessert and it was a wise choice in my part as the tiramisu was very tasty. The ambience was nice though and the building was an old church which was nice and spacious.
- Perfect eveningLRH5Dined on 31/12/2012Amazing service (best I've ever experienced), gorgeous food, interior decor is beautiful and great entertainment! We had dinner here for NYE and i couldn't have wished for anything better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restauranthharrisDined on 29/12/2012excellent food, excellent service, excellent venue. would well recommend a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLagsDined on 16/12/2012Reviews were good and we were looking forward to our meal. Nice ambience and had a buzz. However waitress brought white wine when had asked for red. Then proceeded to bring two other reds that were not the one we ordered. It took four attempts to get the wine we had asked for. The starters were fine. However, one of the main courses had to be changed as the chicken tasted like it had been lying around for weeks. The others were fine but not memorable. Overall very disappointing.
- lunch at AquabathjollyDined on 12/12/2012I booked a table at Aqua to celebrate my son's graduation. From the moment we walked into the restaurant we were greeted by friendly staff who looked after us well. My son has a very restricted diet and the chef had already agreed to prepare a special starter for him. The staff were aware of this and it really made a great difference to my son's experience at Aqua. We all had the Christmas menu. The ingredients were fresh and of a good quality, especially the vegetables. I can throughly recommend this restaurant, it was a pleasure from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.