As You Like It
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1DBNeighbourhood:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
InternationalPrice: £25 and under
As You Like It
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asyoulikeitjesmond.com/
- Phone: 01912812277
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 12pm - 12am
Friday - Saturday: 12pm - 2am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: Brian James
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Live bands and DJ's playing every Friday & Saturday evening. Sunday lunch - live pianist. Sunday evenings - live acts and DJ's playing classic soul, psychedillia and funky 45's.
A word from As You Like It
As You Like It is set over 3 sprawling floors featuring 4 stunning bars, an elegant garden terrace, Jesmonds most beautiful restaurant, the city's best bar menu, "The supper Club" (open 'til 2am every Friday & Saturday) and "Frangipani" our extraordinary chintz free function room.Continued
As You Like It - voted 7th sexiest restaurant in the world (as voted by The Observer)
As You Like It - voted 7th sexiest restaurant in the world (as voted by The Observer)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
As You Like It - Best restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne ›
As You Like It reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (103)group bookings (70)romance (68)fit for foodies (49)child friendly (42)sunday lunch (39)outstanding value (24)good vegetarian options (23)business meals (23)pre/post theatre (18)brunch (15)afternoon tea (6)disabled access (4)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- Great atmospherLuv2dineDined on 19/9/2014Was a great night and myself and my partner lived it x we both loved the live band and the singer Jess Avison she was amazing xxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday dinner 13 SeptLazoDined on 13/9/2014I have visited the restaurant on many occasions unfortunately on this occasion the main course was very poor, the lamb on the skewers was so tough I couldn't eat it. The service staff dealt with this very well but I went away hungry and disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food and delicious cocktailsHungry12Dined on 24/8/2014Food was lovely and cocktails absolutely amazing, in particular the sloe gin mojitos! Rather expensive though so nice for a treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The biggest ribs you'll ever havebellacucinaDined on 22/8/2014We had a little family dinner and absolutely loved the atmosphere and live music. We all shared a grazer and then had the ribs to follow. They are absolutely massive, tender and very tasty. Only the sauce is a bit too spicy for my taste but I can imagine that many people would like that. Overall we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids Club afternoonAdagio415Dined on 20/8/2014I brought my granddaughter to the afternoon ' princess 'event this week. She was totally enthralled by the presence of the princess characters who provided a wonderful afternoon of entertainment. I wish I could say the same about out dining experience. It appeared to be that the restaurant staff were busy doing 'other things ' as I constantly had to look for someone to provide service. I ordered a child menu with dough balls as a starter which turned out to be a pitta bread with a spoonful of mayonnaise and a strip of cucumber. The fish and chips form the main menu was really disappointing . I was served what I can only describe as the scraps of fried potato from the bottom of the cooker so small and hard I could not eat them.Special Features:
- Terrible foodDEANDined on 19/8/2014Lunch with an acquaintance. The bar was almost empty from 1 to 3pm. Food was tasteless and all but cold. Prawn linguine - served in enormous 'soup' bowl - was runny and unappealing to look at. Vegetarian linguine bland and lacking in any distinct flavour. Both meals were left practically untouched. Young barman/waiter seemed unable to deal with the situation and simply removed uneaten food without comment. Had I been eating with a friend and not someone I hardly knew, I would certainly have complained. VERY disappointing as venue chosen for expected food quality and atmosphere. Will not be going back.
- Bad value for moneuyLuv2dineDined on 16/8/2014Food were small portion sizes and overpriced. Burger was extremely greasy and chips to accompany it were small rests that were at bottom of deep fat fryer. Definetely not worth the £13 price tag.Special Features:
- eaties30Dined on 15/8/2014Warm welcome, excellent service. Arrived early, showed straight to table without fuss. Bottle of prosecco as it was a birthday celebration, lovely surprise. Food range diverse and delicious. Great atmosphere, a brilliant night.Special Features:
- Nice food but service wasn't greatClaire274Dined on 13/8/2014Lovely restaurant with great decor and atmosphere. My husband and I had a lovely night but the service did let it down. The staff are all friendly, no fault there. However, I asked for a drink four times and it never arrived! Which was very frustrating! Also, when the waiter took our main meal plates away we weren't offered the dessert menu and sat for a while before we had to ask for them. Lovely restaurant it just seems as if tables are being waited on by whoever happens to pass, so lots of things are getting overlooked and forgotten about. Dined here before and had similar problems and it's a shame because everything else is spot on. Staff are friendly enough, just need to be more organised and pay more attention to customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & kids club -slow serviceladywholikestolunchDined on 10/8/2014Went for a family sunday lunch - 9 of us. Kids club was great and the children all loved the activities, free colouring/crayons on tables was also good. childrens menu is a little pricey but if you manage to take part in the activities including face painting then it's ok overall, plenty of choices (3 courses) and a drink included also. Food is always good here however service can be hit and miss, and for us it was certainly a miss. Length of time between courses was unacceptable, as was time waiting for drinks to be brought to table etc - we were not the only table to suffer and it was not down to the volume of clients as it was actually quite quiet. I would just be prepared to be there a while....Special Features:
- Usually great, but terrible :-(LynseyGDined on 10/8/2014Its usually very nice but was a 3 hour ordeal on this occasion. Kitchen problems I think..... but not a great experience at all.Special Features:
- DisappointedDianne50Dined on 9/8/2014I had heard great reviews from family and friends so my husband and I thought we would try the restaurant for our anniversary, big mistake! It was a Saturday evening however we went early for a cocktail and there were no tables due to so many being reserved, this was difficult for me due to recent knee replacement Upstairs we were sat next to a hen do which was fine until they started blowing whistles and becoming so loud we could talk to each other. We asked to move tables and staff were great, we weren't the only people to move tables. We are not old 50yrs & 48 yrs and understand people need to have fun but this was terrible? I did not eat my meal chips were hard and steak was not medium, the staff were great thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Fab food as always. Never disappointed. After viewing all the restaurants taking part in restaurant week we found the best choices at As You Like It. Sometimes the old places are the best.Special Features:
- Poor service but food okHomerAVIPDined on 4/8/2014Food was slow to come out, nothing special but tasty and good choice on menu. Service was very slow, we felt quite ignored, had to catch waiters eye to ask for drinks, menus, bill quite a few times. And there was plenty of staff working! In the end we went to the bar to pay for our bill.Special Features:
- AnniversaryDayoutDined on 3/8/2014Had a really good meal for three. Staff friendly and good service. Food really nice. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outJennyDined on 2/8/2014A group of 8 of us went to AsYou Like It to celebrate my birthday and we were not disappointed. The staff are very attentive and knowledgable about the food they serve. I had goats cheese and beet root salad which was delicious. I enjoyed the cod strips, peas and chips that followed but the batter was a bit thick and the chips might have been a bit thicker but I still finished it. The knickerbocker glory came with a birthday sparkler which was nice but no jelly! The atmosphere is lively and conducive to a really enjoyable night. Not the place for a quiet dinner on a Saturday but I love it there.Special Features:
- Great EveningJulesRDined on 1/8/2014We had not visited on an evening before, it was very busy as expected We were seated upstairs and the music was too loud we were not far from a speaker and our booking was 7.15, so it was difficult to hear yourselves speak. Food excellent with waitress offering recommendation on sides, good service.Special Features:
- Night at as you like itLovely4food4Dined on 26/7/2014We didn't realise when we booked our table it was ladies day at the races so there was lots of drunken ladies sharing the restaurant with us which in some cases was not pleasant . The toilets were a bit worse for wear as early on as 9 o clock maybe staff should keep on top of this when they are busy . We weren't acknowledged when we first went into the restaurant by the manager of all people! Once we were sat at our table though our waitress was lovely very attentive but not intrusive . Food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanneDined on 20/7/2014Fabulous as usual. Empty plates all round. Friendly staff. Relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant except for tableTablesDined on 19/7/2014I booked this and commented that I was only visiting for my daughter as she loves the ice princesses. However on arrival I was given a table upstairs and when I asked I was told the princesses will spend 50:50 of their time upstairs and down, well pretty soon I realised that was not correct! As my daughter is only 3 I could not expect her to go downstairs alone! As the princesse are on again I am retuning on the 28 July with instructions for a table downstairs. If this could not be accommodated then I would prefer a call to cancel as I am driving for 30 minutes to get through!Special Features:
- An escape from the norm.MrhungryDined on 18/7/2014My wife and I had a few precious hours free on a Friday night from our 3 children and we wanted to use the time wisley. We had decided on a relaxing meal and had been recomended from a friend to visit As You Like It. We booked a table and later arrived. We were greeted graciously and went to the bar where the the ambience was relaxed with a live singer in the background making easy listening whilst starting to unwind. Later as we ordered and throughout our meal the staff were tentative always friendly with always our enjoyment in mind. There was an excellent choice on the menu with excellent food produce used resulting in beautifully tasting food. The price is at the higher end of casual dining but is great value for the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/7/2014Great evening with quirky interior. Even better that they had a gluten free menu as this opens up optionsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and great atmosphereScoobydooDined on 18/7/2014A varied and interesting menu with something for everyone. A little on the expensive side with nothing substantial under £10 so be prepared to spend around £20 per head including drinks.Special Features:
- First time visitPrinny8Dined on 12/7/2014Great first time at this restaurant. Couldn't fault it at all. Staff friendly and food great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first experiencebeautifulpeopleDined on 11/7/2014Good lunch in pleasant surroundings and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Birthday Treat at. 'As you Like It'luvtodineDined on 4/7/2014We received friendly helpful service with a big smile! Our waiter was brilliant, fab complimentary bottle of lovely Prosecco on arrival,cooling at our table, fantastic touch, so unexpected, really made my night! Food good value, lamb was succulent, delicious, the dishes my friends chose were equally well received and commented on. Ambience,young,lively, friendly, we were not rushed at all, that was great because it mean't we could really enjoy our meal and have time to catch up, without feeling hurried away from our table. In fact, we were so relaxed, we got up from the table and walked off without paying, soooo sorry!!! We went back though.... and paid of course!!! Thank you for a great night look forward to my next visit.!!! :))Special Features:
- Comedine12Dined on 28/6/2014The food and service was very good. We visited on a Saturday evening enjoyed food but however it was very busy and incredibly noisy. There was entertainment on a singer and then a band the volume could have been lower as we could not have a conversation. There were also a number of hen parties and the screaming was annoying. There was also a problem with our table we could not sit comfortably as seat height against table height proved very restrictive. Would return but not on a weekend.Special Features:
- A*** child friendly restaurantEmsteizzleoDined on 22/6/2014We chose to eat our Sunday dinner at this restaurant knowing there was a kids club, I am so glad we booked and will defiantly go back! My husband & I felt so relaxed, our two children enjoyed joining in in between meals and it made a Sunday dinner exciting and fun for them! They were blown away by the amazing characters, and we were blown away but the extremely fast food service, the staff friendliness and the value for money. I have already recommended this restaurant to family and friends as we will most definitely be returning in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating was an issue for usSelleyseatingoutDined on 15/6/2014we were put upstairs where it lacked any atmosphere at all. Especially and issue for us with our 2 children as kids club is downstairs. My son ended up with a sticker to keep his place in the face painting que! Rubbish! The good thing for us was we left after the meal whereas we would linger (and have a few more drinks) if we were downstairs where we could see our children playing. Their loss. Probably be a long time before we book here again. (Note, it wasn't even busy downstairs so not sure why I was not offered a table when I made my feelings very clear about not wanting to go upstairs upon arrival)
- Early Fathers Day dinnerLinzAMDined on 14/6/2014We had a great night at ATLI on Saturday night with both sets of parents. We were married at another of the Group's properties earlier in the year and we had our wedding breakfast tasting there so knew the food would be top quality. And it was...the charcuterie sharing starter was gorgeous ...burgers great and the cocktails inventive and delicious. Staff are attentive without hovering. Only issue...minor at that... Was that the music was so loud we had difficulty chatting. However, it was a Saturday night and it's also a bar so perhaps to be expected. Both dads left happy so big thumbs upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vicci03Dined on 12/6/2014I've been to this restaurant many times and it's usually very busy and still has great service. Sadly it was empty tonight and our service was lacking. We ordered deserts and one didn't arrive at all. Unusual as we normally have a lovely evening with great food and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchesPigletDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I have been to As You Like It twice for lunch and have found the whole experience to be excellent. Service is always friendly and the staff are knowledgeable about the menu items. The menus offer a wide variety of foods to cater for many different tastes and food requirements and items are value for money. The decor is light and airy and the atmosphere is open and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceJoLewisVIPDined on 31/5/2014I went on Saturday night for a meal with a group of friends. The ambience and setting is always good ay AYLI. It was pretty busy but we felt that 3 hours for 2 courses was a little excessive. We would have been more understanding but by the end of the meal there were very few tables left yet when we asked for the bill to come it took ages and then even longer for the card machine. This was despite servers standing around chatting. It was the first time in a long time I have not left a 10% tip.Special Features:
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/5/2014Food and service were great a little expensive but good quality.Special Features:
- Too expensive and very loudTastytreats09Dined on 10/5/2014Meal was nice but rather expensive, tables too close together, a lot of noise from large groups put next to tables for couples. Music too loud and toilets not cleanSpecial Features:
- BrilliantSelleyseatingoutDined on 4/5/2014Excellent for children with Captain Jack there this week but this changes week to week. Food was great - we opted for Sunday lunch which never disappoints - the normal menu is excellent too and the children's menu is great with plenty of choice for the fussiest of eaters. We go regularly and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.Special Features:
- Fab nightBellaDined on 25/4/2014The food was absolutely lovely, the restaurant itself has lovely decor and staff. The menu itself was brilliant many different dishes to chose from and standard prices for a restaurant of this style. Pleasant and attentive staff and reasonably quick service times! Overall a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not reccomendedHudsokDined on 21/4/2014Arrived a little before booking time and were seated immediately and drinks were served. Some 45 minutes later we had to stop a member of staff and ask to order our food, they appear to have forgotten us. Starters arrived promptly but mains again were some time later, drinks were also ordered and never arrived. We didn't hang around for desert but still had dirty dinner plates on the table when we asked for the bill, some time after finishing our meal. The bill we were told had then gone missing, another 15 minute wait..... All in all the food was nice, there did not appear to be enough staff to cope with the customers, it didn't appear we were the only ones in the same position. Will not return.Special Features:
- As always - excellent. I wasGeddiDined on 12/4/2014As always - excellent. I was going to try something different but no I couldn't resist the Thai curry which I always choose.Special Features:
- A wonderful afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/4/2014We came here for a birthday celebration. Sat in booth, perfect size table for the 9 of us. Music just at appropriate volume to talk comfortably. Everyone enjoyed their food as well as wine and some tasty cocktails. A very relaxed atmosphere and attentive staff. Looking forward to coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.