As You Like It
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1DBNeighbourhood:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
InternationalPrice: £25 and under
As You Like It
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asyoulikeitjesmond.com/
- Phone: 0191 281 2277
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 12pm - 12am
Friday - Saturday: 12pm - 2am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: Brian James
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Live bands and DJ's playing every Friday & Saturday evening. Sunday lunch - live pianist. Sunday evenings - live acts and DJ's playing classic soul, psychedillia and funky 45's.
A word from As You Like It
As You Like It is set over 3 sprawling floors featuring 4 stunning bars, an elegant garden terrace, Jesmonds most beautiful restaurant, the city's best bar menu, "The supper Club" (open 'til 2am every Friday & Saturday) and "Frangipani" our extraordinary chintz free function room.Continued
As You Like It - voted 7th sexiest restaurant in the world (as voted by The Observer)
As You Like It - voted 7th sexiest restaurant in the world (as voted by The Observer)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
As You Like It - Best restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne ›
As You Like It reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since 29 November 2013
special occasions (92)group bookings (60)romance (55)fit for foodies (45)sunday lunch (36)child friendly (34)outstanding value (20)business meals (19)good vegetarian options (17)pre/post theatre (15)brunch (12)afternoon tea (6)disabled access (4)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- booked on the websiteKatba1ouDined on 19/11/2014I booked a table via the website for my birthday meal, only to arrive and be told you don't serve food between 2 and 5! There was no information anywhere to say you didn't serve food between these timed when booking. disappointing to say the least.
- birthday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014It was a Sunday evening,so restaurant very quiet. Service very good,very efficient. Lots of pasta dishes on menu;could possibly do with a bit more variety. Used tastecard so exvellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLuvthegrubDined on 1/11/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by friends for my daughters birthday meal, the service was excellent and the set up of the dining area was very inviting. The food was very good with a great choice of starters, mains and sweets. The overall experience was excellent.Special Features:
- ALMOST five starYOLODined on 1/11/2014Everything was perfect until we found out they put the drinks prices up on a Friday and Saturday night. This is a bit shocking, especially as there is nothing on the drinks menu to this effect. Other than that, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let down by senior staffBurntmeansburntDined on 31/10/2014The welcome was lovely however when we asked questions regarding the food the senior member of staff who responded did not deal with the problem despite the fact our issues related to thorough cooking for a pregnant guest. The starters were all lovely but all of our main courses had issues (in addition to the above)!
- as you like it ?gibbersgoesoutDined on 27/10/2014our virgin visit was on Monday night for a birthday . Our livers watering at the expectation of " zombies" a plenty only to be told " no fruit!" so most cocktails were not available :( Not to worry the menu was full of promise and the staff were lovely and attentive . The food was alright only. The outstanding success was the butternut squash tortellini which the birthday girl declared an absolute hit .My king prawn linguine was served up with too much watery tomato sauce a la heinz spaghetti . Steak was ok fishermans platter quite tasty and the bolognese was bolognese! the place is great for a big night out with friends good atmosphere even when relatively empty but maybe bring your own fruit on a monday.! CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/10/2014Booked for 5 pm kitchen was closed between 4'and 6
- Most special placeTattoomynameDined on 29/9/2014I booked this restaurant for a special occasion the staff were very helpful before the meal accommodating my requests, the service during the meal was perfect the food was amazing and created the perfect mood for the occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/9/2014We have been here before and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. This time we booked online for a table at 3.45 for Sunday lunch. Unfortunately when we arrived we were told that the kitchen closes at 4 on a Sunday! We had to order food straight away and the whole thing felt very rushed! So beware of booking online - perhaps phone instead to avoid a disappointing dining experience. The staff seemed slightly annoyed at us , as if it was our fault , which really bothered me as it was a special occasion for my parents visiting.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/9/2014We had our finished starter plates on our table until our mains arrived! The service was slow and wrong meals given out! We were offered the dessert menu and said yes but it never arrived. We got achildrens meal and never received the dessert fir that eitherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Kids Club!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/9/2014The set up for children is great. We met princesses, did colouring and they got to sing along with them. It was a shame that our table was around a pillar so we couldn't sit together properly. The staff were busy and they made a lot of mistakes. It was a different person each time so if you asked for something, it never came. We were given the wrong food for the children so there was a delay and they had already been really patient. Finally, someone else's drinks bill ended up on our bill. All these little things could have been avoided if staff had been more attentive. Overall, the girls had a great time. The princesses were worth the money because they were fantastic, the service however, was not.Special Features:
- AverageTwinklystarDined on 26/9/2014Food wasn't great & music was too loud to hear conversation - was better last time we went & were sitting further from the band. Still a great ambience though.Special Features:
- Good placeTopdiner2014Dined on 21/9/2014Been here a few times now and the food is always consistently good. It's good value for money and the staff are pretty good too. Nice decor. All around great for casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fitchett booking 20/09/2014HaydenDined on 20/9/2014The food was lovely, However the waiting time for the food was way too long. We could see that the restaurant was busy but with that been said, from 8pm till 10:15pm for main courses to arrive is unacceptable. It is such a shame because the food and atmosphere were brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospherLuv2dineDined on 19/9/2014Was a great night and myself and my partner lived it x we both loved the live band and the singer Jess Avison she was amazing xxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday dinner 13 SeptLazoDined on 13/9/2014I have visited the restaurant on many occasions unfortunately on this occasion the main course was very poor, the lamb on the skewers was so tough I couldn't eat it. The service staff dealt with this very well but I went away hungry and disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food and delicious cocktailsHungry12Dined on 24/8/2014Food was lovely and cocktails absolutely amazing, in particular the sloe gin mojitos! Rather expensive though so nice for a treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The biggest ribs you'll ever havebellacucinaDined on 22/8/2014We had a little family dinner and absolutely loved the atmosphere and live music. We all shared a grazer and then had the ribs to follow. They are absolutely massive, tender and very tasty. Only the sauce is a bit too spicy for my taste but I can imagine that many people would like that. Overall we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids Club afternoonAdagio415Dined on 20/8/2014I brought my granddaughter to the afternoon ' princess 'event this week. She was totally enthralled by the presence of the princess characters who provided a wonderful afternoon of entertainment. I wish I could say the same about out dining experience. It appeared to be that the restaurant staff were busy doing 'other things ' as I constantly had to look for someone to provide service. I ordered a child menu with dough balls as a starter which turned out to be a pitta bread with a spoonful of mayonnaise and a strip of cucumber. The fish and chips form the main menu was really disappointing . I was served what I can only describe as the scraps of fried potato from the bottom of the cooker so small and hard I could not eat them.Special Features:
- Terrible foodDEANDined on 19/8/2014Lunch with an acquaintance. The bar was almost empty from 1 to 3pm. Food was tasteless and all but cold. Prawn linguine - served in enormous 'soup' bowl - was runny and unappealing to look at. Vegetarian linguine bland and lacking in any distinct flavour. Both meals were left practically untouched. Young barman/waiter seemed unable to deal with the situation and simply removed uneaten food without comment. Had I been eating with a friend and not someone I hardly knew, I would certainly have complained. VERY disappointing as venue chosen for expected food quality and atmosphere. Will not be going back.
- Bad value for moneuyLuv2dineDined on 16/8/2014Food were small portion sizes and overpriced. Burger was extremely greasy and chips to accompany it were small rests that were at bottom of deep fat fryer. Definetely not worth the £13 price tag.Special Features:
- eaties30Dined on 15/8/2014Warm welcome, excellent service. Arrived early, showed straight to table without fuss. Bottle of prosecco as it was a birthday celebration, lovely surprise. Food range diverse and delicious. Great atmosphere, a brilliant night.Special Features:
- Nice food but service wasn't greatClaire274Dined on 13/8/2014Lovely restaurant with great decor and atmosphere. My husband and I had a lovely night but the service did let it down. The staff are all friendly, no fault there. However, I asked for a drink four times and it never arrived! Which was very frustrating! Also, when the waiter took our main meal plates away we weren't offered the dessert menu and sat for a while before we had to ask for them. Lovely restaurant it just seems as if tables are being waited on by whoever happens to pass, so lots of things are getting overlooked and forgotten about. Dined here before and had similar problems and it's a shame because everything else is spot on. Staff are friendly enough, just need to be more organised and pay more attention to customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & kids club -slow serviceladywholikestolunchDined on 10/8/2014Went for a family sunday lunch - 9 of us. Kids club was great and the children all loved the activities, free colouring/crayons on tables was also good. childrens menu is a little pricey but if you manage to take part in the activities including face painting then it's ok overall, plenty of choices (3 courses) and a drink included also. Food is always good here however service can be hit and miss, and for us it was certainly a miss. Length of time between courses was unacceptable, as was time waiting for drinks to be brought to table etc - we were not the only table to suffer and it was not down to the volume of clients as it was actually quite quiet. I would just be prepared to be there a while....Special Features:
- Usually great, but terrible :-(LynseyGDined on 10/8/2014Its usually very nice but was a 3 hour ordeal on this occasion. Kitchen problems I think..... but not a great experience at all.Special Features:
- DisappointedDianne50Dined on 9/8/2014I had heard great reviews from family and friends so my husband and I thought we would try the restaurant for our anniversary, big mistake! It was a Saturday evening however we went early for a cocktail and there were no tables due to so many being reserved, this was difficult for me due to recent knee replacement Upstairs we were sat next to a hen do which was fine until they started blowing whistles and becoming so loud we could talk to each other. We asked to move tables and staff were great, we weren't the only people to move tables. We are not old 50yrs & 48 yrs and understand people need to have fun but this was terrible? I did not eat my meal chips were hard and steak was not medium, the staff were great thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Fab food as always. Never disappointed. After viewing all the restaurants taking part in restaurant week we found the best choices at As You Like It. Sometimes the old places are the best.Special Features:
- Poor service but food okHomerAVIPDined on 4/8/2014Food was slow to come out, nothing special but tasty and good choice on menu. Service was very slow, we felt quite ignored, had to catch waiters eye to ask for drinks, menus, bill quite a few times. And there was plenty of staff working! In the end we went to the bar to pay for our bill.Special Features:
- AnniversaryDayoutDined on 3/8/2014Had a really good meal for three. Staff friendly and good service. Food really nice. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outJennyDined on 2/8/2014A group of 8 of us went to AsYou Like It to celebrate my birthday and we were not disappointed. The staff are very attentive and knowledgable about the food they serve. I had goats cheese and beet root salad which was delicious. I enjoyed the cod strips, peas and chips that followed but the batter was a bit thick and the chips might have been a bit thicker but I still finished it. The knickerbocker glory came with a birthday sparkler which was nice but no jelly! The atmosphere is lively and conducive to a really enjoyable night. Not the place for a quiet dinner on a Saturday but I love it there.Special Features:
- Great EveningJulesRDined on 1/8/2014We had not visited on an evening before, it was very busy as expected We were seated upstairs and the music was too loud we were not far from a speaker and our booking was 7.15, so it was difficult to hear yourselves speak. Food excellent with waitress offering recommendation on sides, good service.Special Features:
- Night at as you like itLovely4food4Dined on 26/7/2014We didn't realise when we booked our table it was ladies day at the races so there was lots of drunken ladies sharing the restaurant with us which in some cases was not pleasant . The toilets were a bit worse for wear as early on as 9 o clock maybe staff should keep on top of this when they are busy . We weren't acknowledged when we first went into the restaurant by the manager of all people! Once we were sat at our table though our waitress was lovely very attentive but not intrusive . Food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanneDined on 20/7/2014Fabulous as usual. Empty plates all round. Friendly staff. Relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant except for tableTablesDined on 19/7/2014I booked this and commented that I was only visiting for my daughter as she loves the ice princesses. However on arrival I was given a table upstairs and when I asked I was told the princesses will spend 50:50 of their time upstairs and down, well pretty soon I realised that was not correct! As my daughter is only 3 I could not expect her to go downstairs alone! As the princesse are on again I am retuning on the 28 July with instructions for a table downstairs. If this could not be accommodated then I would prefer a call to cancel as I am driving for 30 minutes to get through!Special Features:
- An escape from the norm.MrhungryDined on 18/7/2014My wife and I had a few precious hours free on a Friday night from our 3 children and we wanted to use the time wisley. We had decided on a relaxing meal and had been recomended from a friend to visit As You Like It. We booked a table and later arrived. We were greeted graciously and went to the bar where the the ambience was relaxed with a live singer in the background making easy listening whilst starting to unwind. Later as we ordered and throughout our meal the staff were tentative always friendly with always our enjoyment in mind. There was an excellent choice on the menu with excellent food produce used resulting in beautifully tasting food. The price is at the higher end of casual dining but is great value for the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/7/2014Great evening with quirky interior. Even better that they had a gluten free menu as this opens up optionsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and great atmosphereScoobydooDined on 18/7/2014A varied and interesting menu with something for everyone. A little on the expensive side with nothing substantial under £10 so be prepared to spend around £20 per head including drinks.Special Features:
- First time visitPrinny8Dined on 12/7/2014Great first time at this restaurant. Couldn't fault it at all. Staff friendly and food great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first experiencebeautifulpeopleDined on 11/7/2014Good lunch in pleasant surroundings and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Birthday Treat at. 'As you Like It'luvtodineDined on 4/7/2014We received friendly helpful service with a big smile! Our waiter was brilliant, fab complimentary bottle of lovely Prosecco on arrival,cooling at our table, fantastic touch, so unexpected, really made my night! Food good value, lamb was succulent, delicious, the dishes my friends chose were equally well received and commented on. Ambience,young,lively, friendly, we were not rushed at all, that was great because it mean't we could really enjoy our meal and have time to catch up, without feeling hurried away from our table. In fact, we were so relaxed, we got up from the table and walked off without paying, soooo sorry!!! We went back though.... and paid of course!!! Thank you for a great night look forward to my next visit.!!! :))Special Features: