Athena Greek Taverna
141 Elderslie Street
Glasgow, UK G3 7AWNeighbourhood:
GreekPrice: £25 and under
Athena Greek Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.athenataverna.co.uk/
- Phone: 01413393895x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Muli Mukja
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Takeout, Wine
A word from Athena Greek Taverna
A simple Greek recipe, good food, friendly service and a warm welcome. Athena Greek Taverna is situated in the heart of Glasgow"s vibrant west end and less than a mile from Glasgow city centre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Athena Greek Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since 22 October 2013
pre/post theatre (18)outstanding value (13)fit for foodies (9)special occasions (9)romance (8)business meals (7)group bookings (5)good vegetarian options (3)sunday lunch (3)brunch (2)Show More
- Something missing0123Dined on 29/9/2014Been to the Athena on a number of previous occassions but first time at its latest address. Always loved the food in the past but on this visit the food tasted as if the microwave had been the main item used in the cooking. Will return but disappointed this timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BashedDined on 28/9/2014Very good service ,nice atmosphere, I had broccoli soup for the starter enjoyable but a bit salty .Mains was pasticho which was tasty. My wife had king prawns for starter and kleftiko for mains and was happy with both.Enjoyed the whole experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lip-smackingly tastyLifeasJulieDined on 27/9/2014We visited Athena for a set pre-theatre dinner and we were pleasantly surprised by both the service and the delicious food. While the pre-theatre menu itself was pretty limited, there is enough choice to suit everyone, including vegetarian choices. This was our first tasting of Greek cuisine, and it may now be our favourite palate. The service was first-class and very attentive. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, great serviceJamesp1980Dined on 20/9/2014Fantastic food and great service, staff were excellent and food beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysAlexandraTheGreatDined on 19/9/2014Having been a fan of Athena since its southside days I am delighted to say it just gets better and better! Had a fantastic meal and despite being the 1st to arrive in the restaurant at 5pm, it was only a matter of minutes till the place was buzzing. Well done Frixos for passing on your ethos to Kevin and his team!Special Features:
- NormDined on 30/8/2014Pleasant staff - lovely surroundings - excellent food at good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealFeedmenowDined on 8/8/2014Service was swift and very pleasant. Stifado and sea bass both excellent, not so impressed with haloumi starter. (To be fair I am just back from Cyprus and making a comparison with fab cheese there) Great value with 25% discount. A little disappointing that they were unable to take credit cards but they did phone ahead and advise us of this. Hopefully only a temporary measure. Place was busy and buzzing probably great for small groups. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well worth the visit!StevenDined on 7/8/2014We had a delicious lunch on our recent trip to Glasgow, complimented by meeting chef Andy who came to our table and gave us a few tips on his cooking! 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMartyDined on 18/1/2014We booked a pre-theatre taking advantage of the 40% off offer online. The food was excellent, the service friendly, attentive and accommodating of my being on a gluten-free diet. Have never really noticed its being there before but would certainly return now.Special Features:
- delicioushappygirlsDined on 14/1/2014I love the food in Athena, its very tasty, good value, and the service is friendly, attentive and courteous. Its handy for Central Station, and I've had lunch and dinner, and the pretheatre. All of it is great value. The moussaka is amazing- authentic and delicious. For a really good meal in the centre of Glasgow its highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hardcore PrawnsEggsBenedictGlasgowDined on 24/12/2013The Prawns are amazing, so well cooked it's hard not to go for this choice, on a menu that seems even bigger because of the amount of great dishes. Everything out of the kitchen is pretty much perfect, and service is genuine and friendly. As Del Boy would say, 'Bonnetti.' Whatever that means, as long as it's a compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super meal on a busy Saturday nightgereboyDined on 14/12/2013The restaurant was buzzing on a pre Xmas Saturday night. The friendly staff were well prepared to handle the situation and gave us first class service. The food, chosen from the Xmas Meal deal, was extremely good. The prawns were the best I have had in years. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek heavenGordonDined on 10/12/2013Took my family to the Athena. The first time the girls have eaten Greek food they loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJane1986Dined on 6/12/2013We had dinner here on Friday night for the first time. We had the Christmas menu which was excellent value at £20 p/ p for 3 courses. The kleftico which two of our party had was a beautifully cooked, huge shank of lamb. Another of our party had a stuffed chicken breast, which again, was beautifully cooked. I was the only person who could manage desert, but was rewarded with a lovely, creamy, rice pudding dish. The staff were very friendly, and nothing was too much bother for them. I will definitely be recommending this restaurant to all my friendsI would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticJolucaDined on 23/11/2013Good service who enjoy their job and want to help you enjoy yourself. Food was very good. Possibly do with some hot plates to keep dishes warm if having the mixed dish menu. would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of greek in Hope Street.WheresTheGrubDined on 26/10/2013I have dined in this restaurant a few times now. Overall the food is good, but the choice of accompaniments with the dishes seems wholly limited to Rice or Roast potatoes. When my plus one asked if she could have boiled potatoes instead, we were told no because they only buy a certain kind of potato that is only good for roasting...........a bit lame we thought. The tables are very close together and tight to the walls not leaving much room for the diner to have a quiet conversation or stretch out a little. The food was a little bland and a little sparce. A little mound of rice and one potato and 6 meatballs left me still hungry. The service was good but not great. A good restaurant but could be so much better.Special Features:
- The following 240 reviews are from the Athena Greek Taverna reviews archive.
- Glasgow nightEdinburgheaters2Dined on 17/10/2013Lovely place. Staff extra helpful, food good. Made for a pleasant night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different experienceDarnickfolkDined on 7/10/2013Our first visit to a Greek restaurant for many years. Thoroughly enjoyed the food. Good choice on menu reasonably priced. Good service. Would definitely go back if in Glasgow.Special Features:
- enjoyable...nice atmospheregeraldoDined on 1/10/2013Very enjoyable.basic food we'll enough presented.discount offer made the overall price fair and reasonable.would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodRewaDined on 20/9/2013Night out with friends, great food, worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time herefoodie84Dined on 14/9/2013This restaurant is amazing ! Food is cooked to perfection and a great choice on the menu as well ! Beautiful desserts and beautiful decor ! We will definitely be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valuepureshoresDined on 3/9/2013Went on Tuesday with 40% off. Good value. Food very filling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodaish31Dined on 1/9/2013I went for my 21st birthday and they mad my day very special and important!!! i absolutely loved it.The food came in time and the portions were very generous! I loved the waiter he was so very sweet!!! on the whole its a cute place with a lovely decor and great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Athena Greek Tavernaluv2dineDined on 30/8/2013Really nice food, especially the grilled meat. Service was alright, but the room was very noisy. Recommended if you don't mind the noise.Special Features:
- Herrumph!MunchyDined on 22/8/2013Enjoyable enuff meal but on requesting bill, toptable's 25% discount on food element was all of a sudden forgotten until I sent the bill back for amendment!Special Features:
- DeliciousCMcCDined on 14/6/2013Upon arrival just after 7pm on a Friday evening, the restaurant was very quiet and that niggling thought of "what does everyone else know that I don't?" crept into my mind. Less then 30min later, my fears were completely debunked as the restaurant filled up nicely with hardly a spare table in sight. The service was friendly and efficent and the food was delicious. The portions were very generous to say the least. As a person who usually has an extra stomach especially reserved for desert, I was defeated when it came to ordering a third course. Will definitely re-visit in an attempt to take on that elusive Baklava.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Authentic Greek FoodjillyDined on 28/5/2013I took my daughter here for dinner for her first try of greek food, we both thoroughly enjoyed everything we ate...would highly recommend Athena both for the food and friendliness of staff. The beef stiffado is better than I had in Greece, well done to the chef and staff :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyLauraDined on 12/5/2013We love Athena and dine regularly. Looking forward to it moving back to its west end location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyparametricDined on 27/4/2013A friend and I enjoyed a lovely meal at Athena. Service was outstanding and the food was very good indeed. Overall the meal was great value do and please only visit when you're genuinely hungry as the portions were huge.
- First VisitBrianLDined on 27/4/2013This was our first visit to Athena and thoroughly enjoyed the venue. We will certainly be returning. The food was excellent and the ever helpful staff made it an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, service and vlaueFraser87Dined on 13/4/2013A great restaurant with friendly and helpful staff. The sea-bass was recommended and was fantastic as were the dolmades. The portion sizes were excellent, especially for the price and represents brilliant value for money. We try to come to Athena whenever in Glasgow and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKatsDined on 12/4/2013Food was delicious and great value; service was friendly and efficient. Enjoyed the overall ambience of the restaurant and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of Greece in ScotlandTheRealCornBeefDined on 10/3/2013What can I say, if you love Greek food then you need to eat here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LoveFoodDined on 2/3/2013My boyfriend and I came here for dinner for our first anniversary. It was absolutely superb! We were looking for something which would be a romantic night but also affordable and this is the place. The staff are brilliant, friendly and welcoming, the food was so tasty and the atmosphere was just perfect. It’s a nice small restaurant which gives it a nice feel and so close to Glasgow Central that it’s nice and easy to get to. We had the Mezze which was a selection of 5 starters, 5 mains and a lovely selection of deserts and everything was delicious. Would definitely recommend this place for something a little different to your usual Glasgow restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wee gemFoodloverDined on 2/3/2013Booked a hour before hand without knowing where restaurant was but was near our hotel. Was very unassuming from the outside but once in staff excellent, and food delicious. We had the mezze for 2 (3 courses) and a bottle of wine. Great value at £60. Would definatly go back if in the area again :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PresentGlasgowCoupleDined on 22/2/2013Booked a table here for my girlfriend's birthday. The food was outstanding and the service was fantastic. When we first arrived the only table available was next to the main door and unfortunately a draft was blowing across our table. However when asked to move table the staff were more than happy to accommodate our request and were very apologetic. We didn't feel rushed as we sat around for more than an hour after our main course.Special Features:
- Pre theatreEchoDined on 22/2/2013We chose the pre theatre menu, which had some decent choices. The food was well cooked and tasty, service was efficient and friendly. Next time I'd like to try the a la carte menu. Also worth mentioning it has a great location, very central.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.mamemacDined on 20/2/2013Excellent food and service. excellent value for money. hope you keep a city centre location as well as returning to your old addressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Night TreatTraceyA1981Dined on 18/2/2013Booked this restaurant as I love greek food and boy was I not disappointed, the ragne of food was excellant fresh quality ingrediants, and massive portion sizes... Great wine list also, fast friendly service despite the restaurant being so full... could not fault this place one little bit 100% all round..... Cant wait to go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabLindsay77Dined on 9/2/2013We ate here on Saturday night. The souvlaki was perfect and the Tava was beautiful. Service was efficient despite the restaurant being very busy. Loved having a Mythos to wash down the delicious food! The value was fantastic! We will definitely return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.