Babylon at The Roof Gardens
99 Kensington High Street
London, W8 5SANeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Babylon at The Roof Gardens
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roofgardens.com/
- Phone: 02073683993
- Hours of Operation:
Monday -Saturday 11.30am- 12 midnight
Sunday 11.30am - 5.30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Babylon at The Roof Gardens
Situated 100 feet above London’s Kensington High Street, Babylon at the Roof Gardens has established itself as one of London’s most impressive restaurants. The dining room is an elegant and contemporary space with a subtle ‘nature’ theme, emphasised by vivid greens and leaf motifs. But it’s the views over the spectacular acre and a half of rooftop gardens that make Babylon at the Roof Gardens feel like an aerie hideaway in the middle of the metropolis. Popular with local high-flyers and well-dressed foodies, Babylon at the Roof Gardens restaurant offers a classic British menu that changes with the seasons to feature the freshest seasonal produce. We love the sautéed diver scallops with smoked bacon and the tender fillet of Scottish beef with a rich Madeira jus. Be sure to leave room for the dessert – Babylon’s apricot and Cointreau soufflé is a sensation. As you would expect, the service is impeccable and the wine list is full of handpicked gems.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
Babylon at The Roof Gardens - Best restaurants in Kensington ›
Babylon at The Roof Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since 25 May 2014
special occasions (141)romance (94)business meals (82)fit for foodies (74)outdoor eating (73)sunday lunch (44)group bookings (35)brunch (35)afternoon tea (20)pre/post theatre (16)good vegetarian options (15)outstanding value (9)disabled access (8)child friendly (8)Show More
- Set lunchTiggybDined on 18/9/2014Had a welcome drink on the terrace with a view of the London skyline and then shown to table. Plenty of very pleasant staff. We opted for the 2 course set lunch which was delicious. Went back out on the terrace for after lunch coffee and sweet things before a relaxing time walking round the roof gardens which looked splendid with autumn planting. All this on a very warm day in September. Peace and quiet above the hubbub which goes on at ground level.Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super PlaceAsh2Dined on 16/9/2014We have been to the Babylon roof garden restaurant a few times now and have never been disappointed. The food is super and the service extremely friendly and efficient. We always look forward to our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilfoDined on 15/9/2014The waiter made us feel as if there was no one else in the restaurant. Very attentive and was extremely helpful during our time there. Wonderful gardens to explore as we digested our delicious food.Special Features:
- Halal FoodAhmedDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding experience. Recommended to all. Romantic and have a good view. Good view during the daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss Lida HamedaniLidaH20Dined on 4/9/2014Excellent service. Scottie was exceptionally helpful and courteous in his approach to customer careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLuncherDined on 1/9/2014Food was excellent with lots of inventive taste combinations. Staff very friendly. Weather wasn't great but we still managed a quick walk around the gardens which are well worth seeing.Special Features:
- Tasty, well presented food.RutlandlassDined on 28/8/2014We went on the set lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The restaurant was busy but we felt unhurried. A really good dining experience we would go again as a treat when in London. Roof gardens were good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy Birthday lunch with friendsluvtreatsDined on 26/8/2014I recently went with two friends to Babylon at The Roof Gardens in Kensington High Street, for lunch. The service was excellent, ambience pleasant, décor sleek apart from a slightly OTT sofa in the bar area. Views would have been great but it rained! The food was as was also excellent, we had one of the set menus, and the large luscious lamb chop was perfect. We only had slight reservations about the dessert which was rather minimal, and included pieces of honeycomb which were almost inedible. There was a very nice relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure to finish. The gardens are actually located on a lower floor but wonderful, and well worth a visit. Luckily the rain had stopped by the time we finished our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely venueBumblesDined on 25/8/2014Really nice place . Went with husband and daughter for my birthday beautiful gardens food well presented and delicious all round a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickinLondonDined on 20/8/2014This is a truly wonderful location with the skyline of west London to view whilst enjoying marvellous food. Very attentive service and a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Superb location, great in every waypaulp63Dined on 31/7/2014Lunch Thursday 31st July. The food was very well presented, perfectly cooked, tasty and very good value (considering the location). The champagne and wines were not cheap but excellent. The staff were all excellent from the lobby to the farewell; just outstanding. I only booked 24hrs ahead but asked for a balcony table so I wasn't surprised when we were taken to an inside table. I was however delighted when the manager came and apologised that the balcony was full but said that a balcony table had been arranged for dessert and coffee. This really topped off what was already an outstanding service. After lunch we walked around the delightful gardens and sat for a while, the weather was perfect. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Love at first SightAdzlboDined on 28/7/2014I absolutely love this place. I first came Here when my fiancé proposed. The meal was amazing and the gardens on the sixth floor were even better. The food is always flavoursome when we go, their service is exceptional always. The decor is fresh and it's just an enjoyable experience whether it's a Sunday lunch or a Dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD ATMOSPHEREdisabledDined on 23/7/2014The restaurant is located in an idyllic location with nice views of the city; the staffs were very kind and professional, the music just right creating a good atmosphere. They have disabled toilets that were very handy for me, the food was ok but the menu was a very good value....Special Features:
- Nice change of pacejetfueltexasDined on 22/7/2014Visiting from the US. Had a reservation and could hardly get there because of protests that the local police allowed them to obstruct many of the surrounding streets. Babylon was very accommodating and held our reservation even though we ended up nearly and hour late. Food was very good, and a good value compared to what we saw as typical London prices. Nice setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok restaurant in lovely setting.wobbleDined on 21/7/2014Great views from the outsIde terrace bar, but you eat inside. not much ambience inside. Food was good, but service a bit haphazard and very slow. The bill was pretty eye watering but I suppose you are paying for the location.Special Features:
- DisappointinganniebVIPDined on 18/7/2014Six of us went, with great expectations. The view is good but not the best and it wouldn't encourage me to go back. . Some of the staff are good, some are not so good. The food was very mixed, two people complained about their starters and one sent their main course back. We were all expecting greater things. Add to that a time limit on the table, which is always a bind and the fact that we were told, rather than requested to go to the table at our allotted time,we were not a happy group of ladies. An experience, we all felt, not to be repeated. Sorry.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchRLTLDined on 17/7/2014It was a wonderful afternoon we were lucky and had a table on the balcony but the inside space is equally nice. The food was excellent and the service outstanding. I would go again at the drop of a hat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie24Dined on 16/7/2014Expected better. Despite requesting a table outside, we were made to wait upon arrival and couldn't sit there. The mojitos we requested were poorly made - not mixed at all, so very sweet at first and very alcoholic at the end. Not pleasant. Mixed reviews on the food, to be honest, nothing memorable apart from the oysters, which didn't require too much cooking skill. Dessert was passable. TBH, I wouldn't spend my money there again.
- Lunch on a sunny dayGreedy1Dined on 16/7/2014The appeal of the Babylon is the view - during our visit it was a clear and sunny day so we were not disappointed. Although our table was inside, and by the window as requested we were able to have our coffee outside on the terrace. Many diners had arrived early in order to have a drink beforehand on the terrace area. Two course menu was okay value wise but the portions were quite small. Overall experience was good - great to walk around the gardens after our meal and see the flamingoes, ducks and ducklings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 14/7/2014Third visit and had disappointing meal - first course small and little taste meat overcooked. No response to my complaint. Automatic addition of 15% for service unreasonableSpecial Features:
- Birthday meal for coupleLindaDined on 30/6/2014Lovely meal in great surroundings, with pleasant staff. We did have to ask staff for drinks after the meal and then the bill later on which was a shame as we felt the waitress's attention was during our meal and then felt abandoned. However it didn’t spoil our evening and I even received a small cake with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate.Special Features:
- Ladies who lunchmadamjojoVIPDined on 25/6/2014I took my step-daughter and my niece for a special ladies lunch. The food was lovely although the menu was a little limited for choice. Desserts were to die for and the atmosphere was bustling. We were given a table away from the windows (rather than what I had requested) and had to wait for a garden tour but all in all lovely. I will definitely go back but probably for dinner....Special Features:
- DisappointingKeithgDined on 24/6/2014Our return to Babylon was disappointing. For a Tuesday evening, it was particularly busy but it was also particularly noisy ( this view shared by a member of the staff). There was a singer but we could barely hear her...frankly she was wasting her time. Trying to chat over dinner was difficult. The food was also below the normal Babylon standard - in fact, we left immediately after we had finished eating and I don't think we were the only table to do that.Special Features:
- Great viewsclarenceVIPDined on 21/6/2014This was a lovely experience in great weather.Sat inside for lunch but drinks on the terrace.Only negative the gardens were closed and it doesn't seem straightforward to see them. Food was fine.Special Features:
- Fab experienceBBHTDined on 20/6/2014We spent an afternoon and early evening in the Babylon Roof Garden, what an amazing time. I was with my eighteen and sixteen year old nieces and my sister. We all enjoyed our meal and the service was amazing. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too pricey for whaf it is...GosiaDined on 16/6/2014It s great fun to be able to sit outside and see roof tops in the heart of London, however the views are nothing special. It s good for a quick drink, but food is too overpriced for the quality. And you nan only eat inside. ...Special Features:
- Nice PlaceBillCDined on 13/6/2014Great place to visit for special occasions. Excellent location. Attentive staff. Attractive food.Special Features:
- Great viewPleasureSeeker78Dined on 13/6/2014Babylon is great when the weather is good and you can enjoy the view of the gardens, the food is good, the service is good, when the weather is good you are bound to have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!EmmaLdnDined on 31/5/2014We booked here for Saturday Lunch and I was pleasantly surprised. Some places are over priced, but I think the price reflected the food and service. Our waiter was very friendly and professional, always smiling too which is rare for up market restaurants! The food was just delicious. Could not fault it one bit, even the portion sizes were good. The only downside to the experience was there was a large dinner party next to where we were seated. Although a curtain blocked off some view, I sometimes couldn't hear my partner over the noise and the traffic from the constant waitors behind us meant it spoiled the atmosphere a bit. However I would definitely return, was a very enjoyable experience one I would definitely recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good expereinceChrisDined on 30/5/2014We have been to Babylon at the Roof Gardens a number of times but never on a Friday and never again on a Friday. When we arrived, having booked through Top Table they couldn't find our reservation, said maybe wwe had booked the other restaurant on the 6th floor!!!!!! we were kept waiting for 15 minutes before they agreed we actually had a reservation!!!! They wouldn't put us by the window instead stuck us at the far wall,, the restaurant wasn't full and when we left the tables by the window were still empty!!! The quality and choice of food was awful and the waiting staff appeared distant and indifferent. We had told our visiting friend what a great place Babylon was but sadly this proved not to be the case. We will not return on a Friday!
- Good atmosphere, but.........Nemo76Dined on 23/5/2014I booked the restaurant to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my husband and family. Whilst I can't fault the atmosphere and location, the menu choices were a let down. There was a fixed price menu with a limited choice of food. Most of my party felt the choices we made were the best of a bad bunch and that we didn't get the best value for money - £65 per head is a lot if you don't enjoy your food! Service wasn't too bad considering it was a busy Friday night. If there was more choice on the menu then it was have been a much better experience for us all, especially considering the occasion.
- Babylon at The Roof GardensGroveterraVIPDined on 23/5/2014Always visit this place for my birthday and it never fails to disappoint, ideal venue when the weather is good, food not bad either.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLolalaylaDined on 20/5/2014This restaurant was recommended to us. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience, both the dining , and the walk atoind the gardens. Will try the afternoon tea on your next visit.Special Features:
- Superb location for lunchSimon88VIPDined on 19/5/2014Classic and unique venue for a special lunch for 2 on this occasion. Bar service was a bit haphazard, but at least we (eventually) were given a table on the terrace, even though there is no way to book this in advance. Smaller than you might expect from all the publicity, and perhaps gets a bit congested in the evenings(?) Food well presented, and served, but not all that adventurous for the price.Special Features:
- dinner on a Friday eveyummyDined on 16/5/2014The staff were attentive, the food was very good although the portion sizes were definitely not man-size! and rather expensive. Service is automatically added to the final bill although (optional apparently). The cocktails were very very good and served out on the roof terrace which had a lovely view of the roof top gardens and a great view over London. However there was not direct access to walk in the garden and it seemed to be closed when we visited. The ambiance is very lively, with there being a nightclub on site too, if you are looking for a quiet dinner you may be better off visiting earlier in the week.Special Features:
- Unbeatable service and viewsJenLouVIPDined on 13/5/2014This is a great place to go for a special occasion. The service couldn't have been better, and if you give 48 hours notice, the restaurant are able to put a vegan menu together which was delicious (and nice not to be given the usual risotto).Special Features:
- Roof Garden LunchDdadajuDined on 10/5/2014The service is exemplary from the moment you step into the restaurant - nothing is too much trouble. The food was excellent in taste and presentation. I have to say that the setting is superb, even with bad weather. We had a memorable special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but over pricedannabombannaDined on 9/5/2014We came for a special occasion. The views from the gardens were great, and we were lucky to be there on a lovely spring evening. The food was very nice but very very over priced. The music was also far too loud, which made it difficult for our party of 4 to all hear each other. We had a nice evening but I probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Lovely MealJuju2013Dined on 8/5/2014Had a lovely meal here with my niece. Food was perfect, setting even better!Special Features:
- Great ServiceadmoreVIPDined on 2/5/2014So the food is great but it is not the best meal i have ever i had but the ambience is great and the service is impeccable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.