Babylon at The Roof Gardens
99 Kensington High Street
London, W8 5SANeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Babylon at The Roof Gardens
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roofgardens.com/
- Phone: 02073683993
- Hours of Operation:
Monday -Saturday 11.30am- 12 midnight
Sunday 11.30am - 5.30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Babylon at The Roof Gardens
Situated 100 feet above London’s Kensington High Street, Babylon at the Roof Gardens has established itself as one of London’s most impressive restaurants. The dining room is an elegant and contemporary space with a subtle ‘nature’ theme, emphasised by vivid greens and leaf motifs. But it’s the views over the spectacular acre and a half of rooftop gardens that make Babylon at the Roof Gardens feel like an aerie hideaway in the middle of the metropolis. Popular with local high-flyers and well-dressed foodies, Babylon at the Roof Gardens restaurant offers a classic British menu that changes with the seasons to feature the freshest seasonal produce. We love the sautéed diver scallops with smoked bacon and the tender fillet of Scottish beef with a rich Madeira jus. Be sure to leave room for the dessert – Babylon’s apricot and Cointreau soufflé is a sensation. As you would expect, the service is impeccable and the wine list is full of handpicked gems.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
Babylon at The Roof Gardens - Best restaurants in Kensington ›
Babylon at The Roof Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since 30 October 2013
special occasions (142)romance (91)business meals (84)fit for foodies (75)outdoor eating (75)sunday lunch (44)brunch (38)group bookings (34)afternoon tea (20)good vegetarian options (17)pre/post theatre (17)outstanding value (13)disabled access (10)child friendly (8)Show More
- Sunday lunch at BabylonBeagleDined on 26/10/2014Excellent choice for a late Sunday lunch, food was outstanding,very friendly staff, although a little slow to offer a drink on arrival. Great atmosphere and excellent value for a Sunday lunch.Special Features:
- buzzardDined on 23/10/2014This is a smart restaurant, and weather permitting, it would be particularly nice to dine outside. It is not cheap, but does not look cheap either. I did think the drinks were very expensive. I would go there again.
- Nice venueFoodie10VIPDined on 23/10/2014But the lunch menu was a little disappointing. Choice was rather restricted and we finished up ordering from the A la'carte menu. Service was good with very friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rainy dayxyuzDined on 13/10/2014Nice atmosphere with many business meals. But we went on a rainy day so couldn't appreciate the view. The outdoor tables are very well heated so completely possible to eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different.FrancisiDined on 13/10/2014We took a Scottish relative and wanted to offer them something different. With the gardens it was different! The food was good but the service was patchy. It was warm enough to sit outside for a drink first and the cocktail waiter was quick to turn on the outside heaters which was good. We had the set lunch which was good value. We had to wait a while for some of the courses. The waitress told us our table was ready and then disappeared! We stopped by the bar and asked them to show us to our table which they did immediately. Overall it was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionAshnishDined on 8/10/2014Went for dinner with a friend who was visiting us and wanted to take her somewhere special. Babylon is extra special and they lived up to their reputation. The place was a bit difficult to find but the staff guided us when we called them and they moved our reservations as we were running late. The ambiance is very good and the place was full. The service and food was implacable and there was a good selection of vegetarian option. Make sure try the white tomato soup its heavenly. The desserts were a perfect to finish the meal. Cant fault the place for anything from the service, ambiance and food. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- lunch after a visit to the PalacefirstclassDined on 24/9/2014We arrived early and were able to have a wonder around the garden before we had our late lunch. The Flamingos are very tame as the ducks also seem to be which makes a lovely start to a visit to Babylon at the Roof Garden. The welcome by the staff when one first arrives is continued throughout ones time at the restaurant. They could not do enough for you. Our table was close to the window so we could look over the top of the roofs of London. The food - we had the 3 course lunch menu which is not large but for me it was just right. I get confused with long menus and find it difficult to decide what to have. The presentation and the flavour of each dish was perfect. The waiter was able to tell me what was in the food which was so good to eat.Special Features:
- Good view, friendly staffInMyOpinionDined on 19/9/2014The setting is great. Before eating, we had drinks on the sunny terrace and looked at the view across to Battersea Power Station etc. Unfortunately the gardens were closed for an event, but the kind staff allowed us to have a glimpse. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. We chose food from the set lunch menu, which worked out better value than a la carte. The food was interesting and good, my only quibble being what I considered to be small portion sizes, and the fact that some dishes come without vegetables - ordering vegetables incurred extra cost. The combinations of food were imaginative and all food was beautifully cooked.
- Set lunchTiggybDined on 18/9/2014Had a welcome drink on the terrace with a view of the London skyline and then shown to table. Plenty of very pleasant staff. We opted for the 2 course set lunch which was delicious. Went back out on the terrace for after lunch coffee and sweet things before a relaxing time walking round the roof gardens which looked splendid with autumn planting. All this on a very warm day in September. Peace and quiet above the hubbub which goes on at ground level.Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super PlaceAsh2Dined on 16/9/2014We have been to the Babylon roof garden restaurant a few times now and have never been disappointed. The food is super and the service extremely friendly and efficient. We always look forward to our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilfoDined on 15/9/2014The waiter made us feel as if there was no one else in the restaurant. Very attentive and was extremely helpful during our time there. Wonderful gardens to explore as we digested our delicious food.Special Features:
- Halal FoodAhmedDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding experience. Recommended to all. Romantic and have a good view. Good view during the daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss Lida HamedaniLidaH20Dined on 4/9/2014Excellent service. Scottie was exceptionally helpful and courteous in his approach to customer careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLuncherDined on 1/9/2014Food was excellent with lots of inventive taste combinations. Staff very friendly. Weather wasn't great but we still managed a quick walk around the gardens which are well worth seeing.Special Features:
- Tasty, well presented food.RutlandlassDined on 28/8/2014We went on the set lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The restaurant was busy but we felt unhurried. A really good dining experience we would go again as a treat when in London. Roof gardens were good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy Birthday lunch with friendsluvtreatsDined on 26/8/2014I recently went with two friends to Babylon at The Roof Gardens in Kensington High Street, for lunch. The service was excellent, ambience pleasant, décor sleek apart from a slightly OTT sofa in the bar area. Views would have been great but it rained! The food was as was also excellent, we had one of the set menus, and the large luscious lamb chop was perfect. We only had slight reservations about the dessert which was rather minimal, and included pieces of honeycomb which were almost inedible. There was a very nice relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure to finish. The gardens are actually located on a lower floor but wonderful, and well worth a visit. Luckily the rain had stopped by the time we finished our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely venueBumblesDined on 25/8/2014Really nice place . Went with husband and daughter for my birthday beautiful gardens food well presented and delicious all round a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickinLondonDined on 20/8/2014This is a truly wonderful location with the skyline of west London to view whilst enjoying marvellous food. Very attentive service and a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- overpricedmoocowDined on 14/8/2014Value for money just wasn't here, initially cocktails and starters were great, however my main lacked seasoning and flavour. We ordered a £35 bottle of red wine and once finished we asked if that wine was available by the glass, we were told no but were recommended a spanish wine of which they said was very similar. I was not aware/not told it was £14 per glass of which we had 2 extra glasses. Given the bill came to approx £270 for 2 people and i did not really enjoy the food there and beside eating it I was still hungry after 3 courses, it wasnt a bad meal just lacked any real flavour. I think there are much better restaurants with michelin stars out there that i could eat at for £100 less than Babylon! and have much nicer experience
- Disappointed not to see gardenshachibeeeDined on 31/7/2014The view from the top is interesting but not incredible - we were hoping to be able to view the roof gardens but they were closed to public due to a private event. The service was formal but a little on the cold side from some. The food was creative and intricately presented (the scallops were melt-in-the-mouth), although for some dishes the fancy ingredients mentioned on the menu only featured minutely on the plate itself (eg. with the Milk Chocolate Pavé the Matcha green tea gravel was less than the smallest sprinkle). A bit pricey for the experience we had, but it was fun to try the inventive tastes, textures and presentation.Special Features:
- Superb location, great in every waypaulp63Dined on 31/7/2014Lunch Thursday 31st July. The food was very well presented, perfectly cooked, tasty and very good value (considering the location). The champagne and wines were not cheap but excellent. The staff were all excellent from the lobby to the farewell; just outstanding. I only booked 24hrs ahead but asked for a balcony table so I wasn't surprised when we were taken to an inside table. I was however delighted when the manager came and apologised that the balcony was full but said that a balcony table had been arranged for dessert and coffee. This really topped off what was already an outstanding service. After lunch we walked around the delightful gardens and sat for a while, the weather was perfect. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Love at first SightAdzlboDined on 28/7/2014I absolutely love this place. I first came Here when my fiancé proposed. The meal was amazing and the gardens on the sixth floor were even better. The food is always flavoursome when we go, their service is exceptional always. The decor is fresh and it's just an enjoyable experience whether it's a Sunday lunch or a Dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD ATMOSPHEREdisabledDined on 23/7/2014The restaurant is located in an idyllic location with nice views of the city; the staffs were very kind and professional, the music just right creating a good atmosphere. They have disabled toilets that were very handy for me, the food was ok but the menu was a very good value....Special Features:
- Nice change of pacejetfueltexasDined on 22/7/2014Visiting from the US. Had a reservation and could hardly get there because of protests that the local police allowed them to obstruct many of the surrounding streets. Babylon was very accommodating and held our reservation even though we ended up nearly and hour late. Food was very good, and a good value compared to what we saw as typical London prices. Nice setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok restaurant in lovely setting.wobbleDined on 21/7/2014Great views from the outsIde terrace bar, but you eat inside. not much ambience inside. Food was good, but service a bit haphazard and very slow. The bill was pretty eye watering but I suppose you are paying for the location.Special Features:
- DisappointinganniebVIPDined on 18/7/2014Six of us went, with great expectations. The view is good but not the best and it wouldn't encourage me to go back. . Some of the staff are good, some are not so good. The food was very mixed, two people complained about their starters and one sent their main course back. We were all expecting greater things. Add to that a time limit on the table, which is always a bind and the fact that we were told, rather than requested to go to the table at our allotted time,we were not a happy group of ladies. An experience, we all felt, not to be repeated. Sorry.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchRLTLDined on 17/7/2014It was a wonderful afternoon we were lucky and had a table on the balcony but the inside space is equally nice. The food was excellent and the service outstanding. I would go again at the drop of a hat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie24Dined on 16/7/2014Expected better. Despite requesting a table outside, we were made to wait upon arrival and couldn't sit there. The mojitos we requested were poorly made - not mixed at all, so very sweet at first and very alcoholic at the end. Not pleasant. Mixed reviews on the food, to be honest, nothing memorable apart from the oysters, which didn't require too much cooking skill. Dessert was passable. TBH, I wouldn't spend my money there again.
- Lunch on a sunny dayGreedy1Dined on 16/7/2014The appeal of the Babylon is the view - during our visit it was a clear and sunny day so we were not disappointed. Although our table was inside, and by the window as requested we were able to have our coffee outside on the terrace. Many diners had arrived early in order to have a drink beforehand on the terrace area. Two course menu was okay value wise but the portions were quite small. Overall experience was good - great to walk around the gardens after our meal and see the flamingoes, ducks and ducklings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 14/7/2014Third visit and had disappointing meal - first course small and little taste meat overcooked. No response to my complaint. Automatic addition of 15% for service unreasonableSpecial Features:
- birthdaytreatDined on 8/7/2014We had a good lunch and were able to go around the gardens, which was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Birthday meal for coupleLindaDined on 30/6/2014Lovely meal in great surroundings, with pleasant staff. We did have to ask staff for drinks after the meal and then the bill later on which was a shame as we felt the waitress's attention was during our meal and then felt abandoned. However it didn’t spoil our evening and I even received a small cake with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate.Special Features:
- Ladies who lunchmadamjojoVIPDined on 25/6/2014I took my step-daughter and my niece for a special ladies lunch. The food was lovely although the menu was a little limited for choice. Desserts were to die for and the atmosphere was bustling. We were given a table away from the windows (rather than what I had requested) and had to wait for a garden tour but all in all lovely. I will definitely go back but probably for dinner....Special Features:
- DisappointingKeithgDined on 24/6/2014Our return to Babylon was disappointing. For a Tuesday evening, it was particularly busy but it was also particularly noisy ( this view shared by a member of the staff). There was a singer but we could barely hear her...frankly she was wasting her time. Trying to chat over dinner was difficult. The food was also below the normal Babylon standard - in fact, we left immediately after we had finished eating and I don't think we were the only table to do that.Special Features:
- Great viewsclarenceVIPDined on 21/6/2014This was a lovely experience in great weather.Sat inside for lunch but drinks on the terrace.Only negative the gardens were closed and it doesn't seem straightforward to see them. Food was fine.Special Features:
- Fab experienceBBHTDined on 20/6/2014We spent an afternoon and early evening in the Babylon Roof Garden, what an amazing time. I was with my eighteen and sixteen year old nieces and my sister. We all enjoyed our meal and the service was amazing. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too pricey for whaf it is...GosiaDined on 16/6/2014It s great fun to be able to sit outside and see roof tops in the heart of London, however the views are nothing special. It s good for a quick drink, but food is too overpriced for the quality. And you nan only eat inside. ...Special Features:
- Nice PlaceBillCDined on 13/6/2014Great place to visit for special occasions. Excellent location. Attentive staff. Attractive food.Special Features:
- Great viewPleasureSeeker78Dined on 13/6/2014Babylon is great when the weather is good and you can enjoy the view of the gardens, the food is good, the service is good, when the weather is good you are bound to have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!EmmaLdnDined on 31/5/2014We booked here for Saturday Lunch and I was pleasantly surprised. Some places are over priced, but I think the price reflected the food and service. Our waiter was very friendly and professional, always smiling too which is rare for up market restaurants! The food was just delicious. Could not fault it one bit, even the portion sizes were good. The only downside to the experience was there was a large dinner party next to where we were seated. Although a curtain blocked off some view, I sometimes couldn't hear my partner over the noise and the traffic from the constant waitors behind us meant it spoiled the atmosphere a bit. However I would definitely return, was a very enjoyable experience one I would definitely recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.