Babylon at The Roof Gardens
99 Kensington High Street
London, W8 5SANeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Babylon at The Roof Gardens
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roofgardens.com/
- Phone: 020 7368 3993
- Hours of Operation:
Monday -Saturday 11.30am- 12 midnight
Sunday 11.30am - 5.30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Babylon at The Roof Gardens
Situated 100 feet above London’s Kensington High Street, Babylon at the Roof Gardens has established itself as one of London’s most impressive restaurants. The dining room is an elegant and contemporary space with a subtle ‘nature’ theme, emphasised by vivid greens and leaf motifs. But it’s the views over the spectacular acre and a half of rooftop gardens that make Babylon at the Roof Gardens feel like an aerie hideaway in the middle of the metropolis. Popular with local high-flyers and well-dressed foodies, Babylon at the Roof Gardens restaurant offers a classic British menu that changes with the seasons to feature the freshest seasonal produce. We love the sautéed diver scallops with smoked bacon and the tender fillet of Scottish beef with a rich Madeira jus. Be sure to leave room for the dessert – Babylon’s apricot and Cointreau soufflé is a sensation. As you would expect, the service is impeccable and the wine list is full of handpicked gems.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
Babylon at The Roof Gardens - Best restaurants in Kensington ›
Babylon at The Roof Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since 23 November 2013
special occasions (145)romance (91)business meals (82)fit for foodies (76)outdoor eating (75)sunday lunch (46)brunch (39)group bookings (34)afternoon tea (19)good vegetarian options (16)pre/post theatre (15)outstanding value (13)disabled access (10)child friendly (8)Show More
- OutstandingBeaverDined on 16/11/2014What a lovely venue. The staff were very attentive. Our food was excellent. We were there for Sunday lunch - the roast beef was just perfect. A visit to the garden was amazing. It held a few surprises. Would definitely visit again hopefully in warmer weather to be able to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday afternoonValRDined on 16/11/2014The Gardens and the views are magnificent. The Sunday lunch set menu offers a good choice for adults. The food was delicious and nicely served. However, the kids' lunch was so-so, but they loved the Magician. All in all, a pleasant experience and will be back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch on the set menupilsburyDined on 6/11/2014I took a work colleague for lunch on the set menu. The restaurant itself is superb - a true hidden oasis only a step from the high street. views are great and the gardens are a delight. ask for a table by the window. I had the Mi Cuit Salmon which was beautifully presented and perfectly balanced, then the duck leg which was good but not great, followed by the slated caramel flapjack which was a perfect ending. Good selection of wines by the glass are available, and the set lunch menu is good valueSpecial Features:
- absolutely devine!AmandaDined on 5/11/2014The food and service was superb and would definitely go again for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant, outstanding viewSamLDined on 5/11/2014My first visit, but certainly not the last. Had a drink outdoors overlooking the gardens and with a spectacular view of London. Then moved indoors for dinner. Food was very good, portions of a decent size and reasonable prices for this type of venue. Good wine list too. The service was efficient and very very friendly.Special Features:
- Babylon roof gardens are specialJudiVIPDined on 5/11/2014As always a lovely lunch with good food and a lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2eatDined on 2/11/2014We have visited restaurant several times and it is all you could ask for, great location, good service, good food etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and relaxing athmospereMaxUKVIPDined on 1/11/2014At Babylon you know what to expect and it is good. The only partial disappointment was that we could not get the usual table at the window and instead we were in the kind of tiny boots against the wall that are not exactly comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VsVsteDined on 31/10/2014Nice place and good food but a bit too expensive for what they offer- very seasonal menu .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatSelleckDined on 29/10/2014Friendly and courteous service and excellent food awaited us. The roof terrace must be a treat to sit and eat outsideSpecial Features:
- Great locationBabylondiner2Dined on 27/10/2014Superb views and relaxing atmosphere in the garden.Special Features:
- Sunday lunch at BabylonBeagleDined on 26/10/2014Excellent choice for a late Sunday lunch, food was outstanding,very friendly staff, although a little slow to offer a drink on arrival. Great atmosphere and excellent value for a Sunday lunch.Special Features:
- buzzardDined on 23/10/2014This is a smart restaurant, and weather permitting, it would be particularly nice to dine outside. It is not cheap, but does not look cheap either. I did think the drinks were very expensive. I would go there again.
- Nice venueFoodie10VIPDined on 23/10/2014But the lunch menu was a little disappointing. Choice was rather restricted and we finished up ordering from the A la'carte menu. Service was good with very friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rainy dayxyuzDined on 13/10/2014Nice atmosphere with many business meals. But we went on a rainy day so couldn't appreciate the view. The outdoor tables are very well heated so completely possible to eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different.FrancisiDined on 13/10/2014We took a Scottish relative and wanted to offer them something different. With the gardens it was different! The food was good but the service was patchy. It was warm enough to sit outside for a drink first and the cocktail waiter was quick to turn on the outside heaters which was good. We had the set lunch which was good value. We had to wait a while for some of the courses. The waitress told us our table was ready and then disappeared! We stopped by the bar and asked them to show us to our table which they did immediately. Overall it was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionAshnishDined on 8/10/2014Went for dinner with a friend who was visiting us and wanted to take her somewhere special. Babylon is extra special and they lived up to their reputation. The place was a bit difficult to find but the staff guided us when we called them and they moved our reservations as we were running late. The ambiance is very good and the place was full. The service and food was implacable and there was a good selection of vegetarian option. Make sure try the white tomato soup its heavenly. The desserts were a perfect to finish the meal. Cant fault the place for anything from the service, ambiance and food. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Wonderful!mightymunchDined on 3/10/2014Very very impressed by both service and food, would not hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch after a visit to the PalacefirstclassDined on 24/9/2014We arrived early and were able to have a wonder around the garden before we had our late lunch. The Flamingos are very tame as the ducks also seem to be which makes a lovely start to a visit to Babylon at the Roof Garden. The welcome by the staff when one first arrives is continued throughout ones time at the restaurant. They could not do enough for you. Our table was close to the window so we could look over the top of the roofs of London. The food - we had the 3 course lunch menu which is not large but for me it was just right. I get confused with long menus and find it difficult to decide what to have. The presentation and the flavour of each dish was perfect. The waiter was able to tell me what was in the food which was so good to eat.Special Features:
- Good view, friendly staffInMyOpinionDined on 19/9/2014The setting is great. Before eating, we had drinks on the sunny terrace and looked at the view across to Battersea Power Station etc. Unfortunately the gardens were closed for an event, but the kind staff allowed us to have a glimpse. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. We chose food from the set lunch menu, which worked out better value than a la carte. The food was interesting and good, my only quibble being what I considered to be small portion sizes, and the fact that some dishes come without vegetables - ordering vegetables incurred extra cost. The combinations of food were imaginative and all food was beautifully cooked.
- Set lunchTiggybDined on 18/9/2014Had a welcome drink on the terrace with a view of the London skyline and then shown to table. Plenty of very pleasant staff. We opted for the 2 course set lunch which was delicious. Went back out on the terrace for after lunch coffee and sweet things before a relaxing time walking round the roof gardens which looked splendid with autumn planting. All this on a very warm day in September. Peace and quiet above the hubbub which goes on at ground level.Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super PlaceAsh2Dined on 16/9/2014We have been to the Babylon roof garden restaurant a few times now and have never been disappointed. The food is super and the service extremely friendly and efficient. We always look forward to our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilfoDined on 15/9/2014The waiter made us feel as if there was no one else in the restaurant. Very attentive and was extremely helpful during our time there. Wonderful gardens to explore as we digested our delicious food.Special Features:
- Food with a viewBonoprobonoDined on 12/9/2014The location is outstanding, with a semi-panoramic view of lots of London and the inimitable roof garden (once Biba). The food was modern and somewhat quirky (violently coloured risotto didn't taste as vibrant as it looked!). Service was prompt, friendly and helpful. The prices were high, even for the area. And there was a table of shrieky ladies lunching. So a mixed experience, but worth trying at least once.Special Features:
- Good food but little portionsAkkaDined on 9/9/2014Went to the restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary and the food was excellent. Service was also good and attentive. However, portions are quite small at a quite high price so I didn't think that the value for money was very good. Also, I would have expected that a restaurant of this sort, would offer larger tables with a decent separation; tables were very small and the next couple was just at an arm's length.Special Features:
- Halal FoodAhmedDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding experience. Recommended to all. Romantic and have a good view. Good view during the daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss Lida HamedaniLidaH20Dined on 4/9/2014Excellent service. Scottie was exceptionally helpful and courteous in his approach to customer careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLuncherDined on 1/9/2014Food was excellent with lots of inventive taste combinations. Staff very friendly. Weather wasn't great but we still managed a quick walk around the gardens which are well worth seeing.Special Features:
- Tasty, well presented food.RutlandlassDined on 28/8/2014We went on the set lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The restaurant was busy but we felt unhurried. A really good dining experience we would go again as a treat when in London. Roof gardens were good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy Birthday lunch with friendsluvtreatsDined on 26/8/2014I recently went with two friends to Babylon at The Roof Gardens in Kensington High Street, for lunch. The service was excellent, ambience pleasant, décor sleek apart from a slightly OTT sofa in the bar area. Views would have been great but it rained! The food was as was also excellent, we had one of the set menus, and the large luscious lamb chop was perfect. We only had slight reservations about the dessert which was rather minimal, and included pieces of honeycomb which were almost inedible. There was a very nice relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure to finish. The gardens are actually located on a lower floor but wonderful, and well worth a visit. Luckily the rain had stopped by the time we finished our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely venueBumblesDined on 25/8/2014Really nice place . Went with husband and daughter for my birthday beautiful gardens food well presented and delicious all round a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickinLondonDined on 20/8/2014This is a truly wonderful location with the skyline of west London to view whilst enjoying marvellous food. Very attentive service and a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- overpricedmoocowDined on 14/8/2014Value for money just wasn't here, initially cocktails and starters were great, however my main lacked seasoning and flavour. We ordered a £35 bottle of red wine and once finished we asked if that wine was available by the glass, we were told no but were recommended a spanish wine of which they said was very similar. I was not aware/not told it was £14 per glass of which we had 2 extra glasses. Given the bill came to approx £270 for 2 people and i did not really enjoy the food there and beside eating it I was still hungry after 3 courses, it wasnt a bad meal just lacked any real flavour. I think there are much better restaurants with michelin stars out there that i could eat at for £100 less than Babylon! and have much nicer experience
- Disappointed not to see gardenshachibeeeDined on 31/7/2014The view from the top is interesting but not incredible - we were hoping to be able to view the roof gardens but they were closed to public due to a private event. The service was formal but a little on the cold side from some. The food was creative and intricately presented (the scallops were melt-in-the-mouth), although for some dishes the fancy ingredients mentioned on the menu only featured minutely on the plate itself (eg. with the Milk Chocolate Pavé the Matcha green tea gravel was less than the smallest sprinkle). A bit pricey for the experience we had, but it was fun to try the inventive tastes, textures and presentation.Special Features:
- Superb location, great in every waypaulp63Dined on 31/7/2014Lunch Thursday 31st July. The food was very well presented, perfectly cooked, tasty and very good value (considering the location). The champagne and wines were not cheap but excellent. The staff were all excellent from the lobby to the farewell; just outstanding. I only booked 24hrs ahead but asked for a balcony table so I wasn't surprised when we were taken to an inside table. I was however delighted when the manager came and apologised that the balcony was full but said that a balcony table had been arranged for dessert and coffee. This really topped off what was already an outstanding service. After lunch we walked around the delightful gardens and sat for a while, the weather was perfect. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Love at first SightAdzlboDined on 28/7/2014I absolutely love this place. I first came Here when my fiancé proposed. The meal was amazing and the gardens on the sixth floor were even better. The food is always flavoursome when we go, their service is exceptional always. The decor is fresh and it's just an enjoyable experience whether it's a Sunday lunch or a Dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD ATMOSPHEREdisabledDined on 23/7/2014The restaurant is located in an idyllic location with nice views of the city; the staffs were very kind and professional, the music just right creating a good atmosphere. They have disabled toilets that were very handy for me, the food was ok but the menu was a very good value....Special Features:
- Nice change of pacejetfueltexasDined on 22/7/2014Visiting from the US. Had a reservation and could hardly get there because of protests that the local police allowed them to obstruct many of the surrounding streets. Babylon was very accommodating and held our reservation even though we ended up nearly and hour late. Food was very good, and a good value compared to what we saw as typical London prices. Nice setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok restaurant in lovely setting.wobbleDined on 21/7/2014Great views from the outsIde terrace bar, but you eat inside. not much ambience inside. Food was good, but service a bit haphazard and very slow. The bill was pretty eye watering but I suppose you are paying for the location.Special Features:
- DisappointinganniebVIPDined on 18/7/2014Six of us went, with great expectations. The view is good but not the best and it wouldn't encourage me to go back. . Some of the staff are good, some are not so good. The food was very mixed, two people complained about their starters and one sent their main course back. We were all expecting greater things. Add to that a time limit on the table, which is always a bind and the fact that we were told, rather than requested to go to the table at our allotted time,we were not a happy group of ladies. An experience, we all felt, not to be repeated. Sorry.Special Features: