74 Blackfriars Road
London, SE1 8HANeighbourhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079281111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm Tue - Sat: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:15pm Sun 12:00pm - 4:30pm. 5:30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater everything from cocktail and canape parties through to dinners, weddings and large corporate events all with a distinctive Eastern European style.please contact Jan Woroniecki on 020 7928 1111 to discuss your event.
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday evening featuring some of the best young musicians currently playing London.
A word from Baltic
Based in a converted carriage works, the interior of Southwark’s Baltic restaurant is achingly hip. Warm neutral colours, pale wooden beams and natural light from the glass atrium give the place a natural, organic feel. Right by Southwark tube, Baltic is an ideal place to kick back and indulge in some inspired Eastern European delicacies pre- or post- a trip to The Globe Theatre or The Tate Modern, and it just wouldn’t be right to leave without sampling some of the many varieties of Polish and Russian vodka that, along with the hearty food, are Baltic’s calling card. Polish food devotees will know owner Jan Woroniecki’s name from the uber successful Wodka in Kensington, and Chef Kristov in Hammersmith; Baltic too offers a selection of traditional and not-so-traditional Eastern European dishes like pierogi, chilled Hungarian sour cherry soup or caviar blinis served with (you guessed it!) vodka. The other great draw is the jazz, on Sunday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Baltic - Best restaurants in Southbank ›
Baltic reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since 2 June 2014
special occasions (231)fit for foodies (225)pre/post theatre (203)business meals (182)group bookings (163)romance (159)sunday lunch (61)outstanding value (47)disabled access (35)good vegetarian options (34)brunch (30)afternoon tea (13)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (5)Show More
- Ok after The Old VicKazWorkFoodVIPDined on 26/9/2014Food was ok, staff were attentive enough but the food didn't really do it for me. It's ok, some days would be better than others. Comfort food.Special Features:
- ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014Excellent food and ambiance as usual. First time we'd dined here for six years following several years overseas and was great to see that nothing had changed. Even our waiter had recently returned from 8 years elsewhere and stated the same. Nothing pretentious, just excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Excellent, Food mediocreKwintetDined on 24/9/2014Tried this restaurant with a friend after a London Eye Experience and whilst the first course was very good, my friend had steak for mains and couid not eat it as it was so tough and stringy (she'd ordered medium rare). I had the duck which was okay, but I have had better elsewhere, wouldn't really recommend. It was very popular so perhaps some of the other main course options would have been better.
- Persistently Popular PolandWoollybearDined on 23/9/2014We used to live on the Southbank and ate regularly visited Baltic. We moved away about three years ago and foolishly have not been since. Some friends said recently that they liked vodka and were interested in trying Polish food, so, Baltic it was. It has maintained its standards and has got better. The range of vodkas, served at the right temperature is, of course, still great. The wine list is good and reasonable in price with real bargains. The old favourites are delicious - beetroot soup, pelmeni, potato pancakes, gravad lax, herring etc. There are also other great dishes such as devilled kidneys with beans, rabbit etc. The place was packed and buzzing which is great to see. Despite the covers being served service was great.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/9/2014It's my second time at the restaurant. I really enjoyed the food both times round. Service is very good, staff friendly and attentive. Definitely would recommend it and I am sure it's not my last visit. Pre theater menu value is great. Food is well prepared and very tasty, really nice cheesecake. Nice ambiance. overall very good experience.Special Features:
- Nice ambiencedarlingsalVIPDined on 20/9/2014The food is always good and ambience is great. We would go back soon.Special Features:
- Love this placeJSTSVIPDined on 20/9/2014This is my third time at the Baltic this year, however, I have been coming here for many years. We took two friends (it was their first time) and they loved it. One of my friends does not eat meat, so this was a great venue for her as there are lots of fish and vegetarian dishes on the menu. For the meat eaters, there are plenty of hearty meaty dishes. We had a couple of bottles of Picpoul de Pinet (a good but inexpensive white wine from the Languedoc) which was £24 a bottle. Our friends are not keen on Vodka but they had several shots of sweet plum vodka which was served hot as a digestive. The food was inventive and tasty. Will be back again before the year is out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious dumplingscateDined on 19/9/2014great food, a bit on the unusual side. Particularly recommend the pork and veal dumplings starter.Special Features:
- Relaxed lunch with familycountrymouseDined on 19/9/2014Great place to get together for weekend lunch. Second time for us. We like the airy dining room. Tasty hearty food. Great value set menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantcam526Dined on 18/9/2014Really liked our meal at the Baltic. Ate off the pre-theatre menu which was good but not great. Desserts were really nice, good cocktails and liked the atmosphere/design in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely.....lahlahlahDined on 18/9/2014My third meal at Baltic, but took two friends who hadn't been before. They loved it too. Everything from the cocktail menu onwards was great, but especially the food. We liked everything - pancakes with gravadlax, goose, salt beef and vegetarian option were all very good. Yummy puddings, good coffee and an excellent glass of dessert wine (Hungarian tokayi) rounded it all off nicely. Atmosphere is good - I've been here just for drinks at the bar too - Baltic always has a nice buzz. Only drawback this time was the presence of a large party - around 60 people. Didn't affect the service - all credit to the staff for that - but it did make the restaurant a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent eveningdinerESDined on 14/9/2014Having eaten at Baltic a few times before, my partner and I decided to take my parents to the restaurant for dinner during their recent visit to London. The four of us had an utterly lovely evening. As before, everything about the experience was pleasurable - it's such a beautiful space, and the fabulous cocktail and vodkas menu makes the whole thing feel immediately special and unusual. We all found lots of dishes to tempt us, and essentially shared all our starters and our mains, to ensure that we all got a taste of everything - so many wonderful flavours and unconventional combinations, without pretension or stuffiness. The staff are friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and attentive, without ever being instrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting foodLizzieDined on 13/9/2014We enjoyed the cuisine at The Baltic very much, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good meal in a pleasant setting, that is peaceful.Special Features:
- FoodieWannabeVIPDined on 12/9/2014excellent post theatre meal .. really yum. Although the menu seemed extensive we restricted ourselves to a few starters as it was already 11pm. Will definitely go back at an earlier time to sample the full menu. Those dishes we dish have we delicious.Special Features:
- Great eveningKoneserDined on 12/9/2014Booked for an anniversary and proved to be a good idea as the venue is perfect for a special meal. Started with a drink in the bar and the staff were really friendly . We were shown to our table in the restaurant area. It was busy that evening but our food and drinks orders were dealt with really quickly. Food was really good mixing mainly Polish dishes with influences from Georgia and Eastern Europe. Chose a Georgian wine which was really good. Great food that never disappoints plus extensive vodka list. Slick service and consistently good food make Baltic a great choice - have been here many times and am sure to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great first time experiencenonameDined on 12/9/2014Food was traditional with a designer twist. Great range of cocktails with a vodka theme and pleasantly broad wine menu with some true gems on offer. Service was attentive, possibly overly so, but you certainly didn't have to wait to get anyone's attention, even on a very busy Friday night. Time flew by in the modern stylish surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CamberwellianDined on 12/9/2014More Polish cuisine than I remember from the last time I went there, but lovely ambience, friendly staff great cocktails and a good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalticdonnaVIPDined on 5/9/2014Very good value of set pre-theatre menu. The food was freshly cooked, good flavours and very generous in portion size. Didn't appreciate being led to the table furthest away when the restaurant was empty as we arrived. The staff are efficient but are very much coldly efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except the scallop!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014When a starter says scallops you hope for more than one sliced into 3 !Special Features:
- Some superb foodMikeADined on 3/9/2014Once again, food quite terrific, though the rabbit did not quite hit the same heights as the rest of starters and mains. The plum, chocolate and run desert was just out of this world. The only snag -- the acoustics. When full the place is horribly noisy, making conversation difficult.
- KBeeDined on 1/9/2014A little bit of a long wait between courses but very delicious and sophisticated food with a Polish twist to the menu. Have been before and will definitely come again. Recommend the vodka martinis to start. Yum.Special Features:
- hungryinlondonDined on 30/8/2014I would like to return to sample more from the menu: there were so many interesting tastes that it was difficult to make a decision. Tables were a little close together but the lighting was low and the ambience relaxed that it didn't really matter once sat. Cocktails were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMGHungryDined on 29/8/2014I really enjoyed my meal there. Excellent ingredients perfectly prepared. A great place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, good foodJustVisitingDined on 28/8/2014Lovely restaurant with attentive waiting staff. Good selection of vodkas. Dishes are simple yet tasty. Menu selection is limited but that's good because it means everything is done well. The rum stewed plums with chocolate mousse dessert was divine. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- Beautiful venuestraighttalkerDined on 25/8/2014You might not guess from the outside - then you walk through the very welcoming and cool bar into a room which opens up into a stunning spacious dining room. Great venue for intimate dates and equally good for parties. It was so good we went back the next night too. Regret not going sooner - so many friends had recommended it - we are now making up for lost time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLindSDined on 22/8/2014Don't be put off by the scaffolding outside. Once inside the bar and restaurant are gorgeous. Would recommend it for sure
- BalticDoctacistDined on 22/8/2014I can't believe I've only just found this place. It has a cracking cocktail list - may I recommend the Beetroot Martini, and to one not accustomed to Polish food, an incredibly exciting selection of new foods to try. I had the Pieroggi, then Rabbit in cider with noodles, and finally plums with rich chocolate mousse. So exciting and tasty !!! Am returning soon !Special Features:
- AuntyMDined on 20/8/2014We visit here whenever we are in London (we live in Shropshire). Everything is great from the minute we walk in. I cook a lot of Mediterranean food at home but not Polish so it's a lovely change and the combinations of ingredients are superb. I would never have thought of putting mackerel with rhubarb and plum but it was delicious. We are big fish eaters and the starter of smoked haddock with radishes, potatoes with an egg on the top was wonderful ! Where do they get their eggs from - their yolks put our Shropshire eggs to shame ! The whole experience of being at The Baltic is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit, will go againBallyhoooDined on 20/8/2014This was the second pre-theatre visit to Baltic in under a month and the meal was just as good as the first time. Don't be put off by the small scaffold-clad entrance, a Tardis-like restaurant beckons within that is filled with light. The white decor may turn out to be a bit cold in the winter, but for a summer's evening it's perfect. On your way in, ask the v friendly bar staff to try some Polish "wine"......definitely will help your party go with a swing! The food is really creative, fresh and delicious although the menu hadn't changed from our first visit. The service was a little slow this time - our starters taking a bit too long to arrive but the mains followed rapidly. Do try the deserts they are just as good as the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drink,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014Food was of a good standard, nicely presented, Wine list good do with an overhaul, but the cocktails were good. The service was average at best, waiting staff had to be called to attract their attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really lovely as usualwillgoagainDined on 19/8/2014Great food and discreet service. Enjoyed it very much. We had three courses and I used my taste card and received £35 off the bill. They also accept Gourmet Society cards.Special Features:
- Another splendid mealJSTSVIPDined on 19/8/2014I have been to this restaurant many times and each time I go, I keep forgetting how good it is. The food is different from the usual fare, but not so different that everybody can find something they will like. Their dumplings are amazing and the fish dishes inventive. If you like sweet drinks, you should try the hot sweet plum vodka. It made a good aperitif in a small carafe. Wines are very reasonable for good quality bottles. Please note that for some time they have had scaffolding outside the restaurant. Please don't let that put you off as inside it is very chic and trendy and bright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality Polish foodjmmadryDined on 13/8/2014Tried a selection of dishes, all very tasty, with a little turn on the traditional Polish food. We had 2 courses + bottle of wine to share between 3, paid £35 pp - I would say reasonable for a non-chain restaurant. Worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 13/8/2014Really good pre-theatre offer and lovely food. The chicken starter and pork main were particularly good - very unusual flavours and really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltic charmloosecoupleDined on 9/8/2014This was our third time eating here and we enquired in advance about a total vegetarian in our party of four and were sent a sample menu which was approved by her! We had an excellent meal; lots of choice for meat, fish or vegetarian eaters. The jug of bison grass cocktail went down very well and the food was excellent. We had a charming waitress and my wife received a birthday candle on her dessert and we were given free vodkas to toast her. An excellent food experience in a very nice, spacious room. Brilliant place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualJarfDined on 9/8/2014Cool, spacious place, consistently high quality food and service. Eat here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteevieDined on 8/8/2014Visited Baltic on Friday, 8 August. An impressive, well laid out restaurant, with good, efficient service. We were looked after very well. Starter of pelmeni dumplings are well worth trying (and a pretty good sized portion). Pork snitzel main course also very good, and so filling we were thinking of not having a sweet, but relented and had the chocolate mouse with plums (scrummy/ excellent). Only downside was the house white wine, which, surprisingly, was very sharp.Special Features:
- Restaurant reviewTobydasDined on 5/8/2014Third or fourth visit to Baltic so they must be doing something right. Particularly like the wide range of Eastern European/Polish food and drink options - its hard not to like most of what is on the menu with meat, fish and vegitarian options, and a great range of vodkas if that is your thing . Lovely dining area, the rather dark bar area (probably due to the fact there are only small windows at the front) doesn't prepare you for the light and airy dining area. Only slight quibble was the rather slow service after our main course (up to then had been perfect) - seemed to be too few attending to tables as the restaurant filled upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful!NBS31Dined on 5/8/2014My friend and I were on a catch up/budget night out. Baltic hit all the right spots, our waiter was courteous and made us feel so special. The atmosphere was fun, the good was delicious and plentiful. This is now my go to restaurant for pre theatre and special occasions. It's just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambience and service!magder5885Dined on 3/8/2014Went on a Sunday evening with a couple of friends. This was my first visit. Restaurant wasn't too busy. Very friendly and helpful staff pointed out dishes they thought we might enjoy. Enjoyed the Pierogi and the Potato Pancakes. The dessert of Apple fritters and Cinnamon ice-cream was particularly good. Would recommend to friends and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.