74 Blackfriars Road
London, SE1 8HANeighborhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079281111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm Tue - Sat: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:15pm Sun 12:00pm - 4:30pm. 5:30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater everything from cocktail and canape parties through to dinners, weddings and large corporate events all with a distinctive Eastern European style.please contact Jan Woroniecki on 020 7928 1111 to discuss your event.
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday evening featuring some of the best young musicians currently playing London.
A word from Baltic
Based in a converted carriage works, the interior of Southwark’s Baltic restaurant is achingly hip. Warm neutral colours, pale wooden beams and natural light from the glass atrium give the place a natural, organic feel. Right by Southwark tube, Baltic is an ideal place to kick back and indulge in some inspired Eastern European delicacies pre- or post- a trip to The Globe Theatre or The Tate Modern, and it just wouldn’t be right to leave without sampling some of the many varieties of Polish and Russian vodka that, along with the hearty food, are Baltic’s calling card. Polish food devotees will know owner Jan Woroniecki’s name from the uber successful Wodka in Kensington, and Chef Kristov in Hammersmith; Baltic too offers a selection of traditional and not-so-traditional Eastern European dishes like pierogi, chilled Hungarian sour cherry soup or caviar blinis served with (you guessed it!) vodka. The other great draw is the jazz, on Sunday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Baltic - Best restaurants in Southbank ›
Baltic reviews from OpenTable diners
465 reviews since 5 May 2014
special occasions (230)fit for foodies (218)pre/post theatre (192)business meals (179)group bookings (160)romance (153)sunday lunch (59)outstanding value (43)disabled access (33)good vegetarian options (32)brunch (30)afternoon tea (13)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (7)Show More
- Excellent foodMGHungryDined on 29/8/2014I really enjoyed my meal there. Excellent ingredients perfectly prepared. A great place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, good foodJustVisitingDined on 28/8/2014Lovely restaurant with attentive waiting staff. Good selection of vodkas. Dishes are simple yet tasty. Menu selection is limited but that's good because it means everything is done well. The rum stewed plums with chocolate mousse dessert was divine. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- Beautiful venuestraighttalkerDined on 25/8/2014You might not guess from the outside - then you walk through the very welcoming and cool bar into a room which opens up into a stunning spacious dining room. Great venue for intimate dates and equally good for parties. It was so good we went back the next night too. Regret not going sooner - so many friends had recommended it - we are now making up for lost time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLindSDined on 22/8/2014Don't be put off by the scaffolding outside. Once inside the bar and restaurant are gorgeous. Would recommend it for sure
- BalticDoctacistDined on 22/8/2014I can't believe I've only just found this place. It has a cracking cocktail list - may I recommend the Beetroot Martini, and to one not accustomed to Polish food, an incredibly exciting selection of new foods to try. I had the Pieroggi, then Rabbit in cider with noodles, and finally plums with rich chocolate mousse. So exciting and tasty !!! Am returning soon !Special Features:
- AuntyMDined on 20/8/2014We visit here whenever we are in London (we live in Shropshire). Everything is great from the minute we walk in. I cook a lot of Mediterranean food at home but not Polish so it's a lovely change and the combinations of ingredients are superb. I would never have thought of putting mackerel with rhubarb and plum but it was delicious. We are big fish eaters and the starter of smoked haddock with radishes, potatoes with an egg on the top was wonderful ! Where do they get their eggs from - their yolks put our Shropshire eggs to shame ! The whole experience of being at The Baltic is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit, will go againBallyhoooDined on 20/8/2014This was the second pre-theatre visit to Baltic in under a month and the meal was just as good as the first time. Don't be put off by the small scaffold-clad entrance, a Tardis-like restaurant beckons within that is filled with light. The white decor may turn out to be a bit cold in the winter, but for a summer's evening it's perfect. On your way in, ask the v friendly bar staff to try some Polish "wine"......definitely will help your party go with a swing! The food is really creative, fresh and delicious although the menu hadn't changed from our first visit. The service was a little slow this time - our starters taking a bit too long to arrive but the mains followed rapidly. Do try the deserts they are just as good as the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drink,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014Food was of a good standard, nicely presented, Wine list good do with an overhaul, but the cocktails were good. The service was average at best, waiting staff had to be called to attract their attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really lovely as usualwillgoagainDined on 19/8/2014Great food and discreet service. Enjoyed it very much. We had three courses and I used my taste card and received £35 off the bill. They also accept Gourmet Society cards.Special Features:
- Another splendid mealJSTSVIPDined on 19/8/2014I have been to this restaurant many times and each time I go, I keep forgetting how good it is. The food is different from the usual fare, but not so different that everybody can find something they will like. Their dumplings are amazing and the fish dishes inventive. If you like sweet drinks, you should try the hot sweet plum vodka. It made a good aperitif in a small carafe. Wines are very reasonable for good quality bottles. Please note that for some time they have had scaffolding outside the restaurant. Please don't let that put you off as inside it is very chic and trendy and bright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality Polish foodjmmadryDined on 13/8/2014Tried a selection of dishes, all very tasty, with a little turn on the traditional Polish food. We had 2 courses + bottle of wine to share between 3, paid £35 pp - I would say reasonable for a non-chain restaurant. Worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 13/8/2014Really good pre-theatre offer and lovely food. The chicken starter and pork main were particularly good - very unusual flavours and really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltic charmloosecoupleDined on 9/8/2014This was our third time eating here and we enquired in advance about a total vegetarian in our party of four and were sent a sample menu which was approved by her! We had an excellent meal; lots of choice for meat, fish or vegetarian eaters. The jug of bison grass cocktail went down very well and the food was excellent. We had a charming waitress and my wife received a birthday candle on her dessert and we were given free vodkas to toast her. An excellent food experience in a very nice, spacious room. Brilliant place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualJarfDined on 9/8/2014Cool, spacious place, consistently high quality food and service. Eat here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteevieDined on 8/8/2014Visited Baltic on Friday, 8 August. An impressive, well laid out restaurant, with good, efficient service. We were looked after very well. Starter of pelmeni dumplings are well worth trying (and a pretty good sized portion). Pork snitzel main course also very good, and so filling we were thinking of not having a sweet, but relented and had the chocolate mouse with plums (scrummy/ excellent). Only downside was the house white wine, which, surprisingly, was very sharp.Special Features:
- Restaurant reviewTobydasDined on 5/8/2014Third or fourth visit to Baltic so they must be doing something right. Particularly like the wide range of Eastern European/Polish food and drink options - its hard not to like most of what is on the menu with meat, fish and vegitarian options, and a great range of vodkas if that is your thing . Lovely dining area, the rather dark bar area (probably due to the fact there are only small windows at the front) doesn't prepare you for the light and airy dining area. Only slight quibble was the rather slow service after our main course (up to then had been perfect) - seemed to be too few attending to tables as the restaurant filled upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful!NBS31Dined on 5/8/2014My friend and I were on a catch up/budget night out. Baltic hit all the right spots, our waiter was courteous and made us feel so special. The atmosphere was fun, the good was delicious and plentiful. This is now my go to restaurant for pre theatre and special occasions. It's just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambience and service!magder5885Dined on 3/8/2014Went on a Sunday evening with a couple of friends. This was my first visit. Restaurant wasn't too busy. Very friendly and helpful staff pointed out dishes they thought we might enjoy. Enjoyed the Pierogi and the Potato Pancakes. The dessert of Apple fritters and Cinnamon ice-cream was particularly good. Would recommend to friends and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great funlffortune1Dined on 1/8/2014Baltic has great food - for starters both the dumplings and smoked salmon were excellent and then mains of calves luver and salt beef very goid. Salads could have been a bit more interesting and an extra veg side or two would have been good. We were a birthday group, all drank too much vodka - great selection- and so were rather exuberant, but would like to thank the staff for their patience and service. Outstanding champagne cocktails to startSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCrockers101Dined on 31/7/2014Having read the reviews and menu I was looking forward to Baltic, but was disappointed with the food. I had the Pelmeni to start, which reminded my of the pre-made filled raviolli you can buy at the supermarket. My partner had the Schnitzel which was spoiled by the rock solid fried egg! Surely both the chef and waiter could see it was hard, but they still served it. Very poor and very lazy. Still, when we commented to the waiter a decent egg was produced in seconds! I had the Gelonka which whilst tasty, was frankly a little boring. The restuarant itself is very elegant, and the atmosphere, service, and cocktail range was perfect. I would recommend the bar for evening drinks, but I won't be visiting the restaurant again.
- A hidden oasisn4dinersDined on 31/7/2014Fantastic service, with members of our party of 4 arriving at a range of times the staff catered for everyone brilliantly. Superb cocktails - I had one of the Summer specials (a strawberry/basil vodka and prosecco mix). 2 of us had the pre-theatre menu which was good value for £. I had a light and tasty spicy chicken salad with walnut and pomegranate dressing to start and a delicious pork neck with a mix of roasted veg. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Great venue and food to match!mandiDined on 29/7/2014Went with a group of girlfriends and had a lovely dinner, thought the food might be heavy but perfect portions and mix of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ltflOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/7/2014Food was excellent, and I really liked the ambience. Very aesthetically interesting interior. I ordered a side of carrots, which never came, but my main course (salmon with beetroot) was so good I didn’t care, and the server was extremely apologetic when I asked her just to make sure it wasn’t on the bill. My dessert (the chocolate torta) was a little disappointing, but everyone else’s was very good. Seeing as it was a business dinner, we didn’t get to try any of the vodkas. For that alone it’d be worth going back!Special Features:
- Adventurous cookingkitkatVIPDined on 28/7/2014I still get a pleasant surprise walking in to here from the slightly shabby exterior to the bright striking restaurant room. The food doesn't disappoint either, with modern reworking of classics, light as air blinis, schnitzel (which was a bit too thick and tough), but the inventive daily specials really stood out, the kohlrabi apple celery crayfish salad was the perfect summer salad.Special Features:
- AverageMalaDined on 27/7/2014The food is average, but maybe because I compare it to the standard I know from Poland. The bread that was served when we were waiting for our meal was not crunchy at all. It tasted like yesterday's one. I'd prefer to receive nothing instead of it (especially that it was served together with mashed beetroots and batter)-odd combination. The potato pancakes were ok-however nothing special for this price. Not too fresh, however my partner who never tried it before liked it. The skewer and cheesecake were proper. To the bill there is included 12.5% service charge which in my opinion is overrated (the stuff is not too friendly). For only pancakes, the skewer, cheesecakes, two beers and water we paid almost GBP 60-not worth that money.Special Features:
- gourmet2VIPDined on 24/7/2014An excellent ambience for dinner on a hot day with effective air-conditioning and a spacious dining area. The food was of a high standard both in terms of qualirt and presentation, The range of dishes was well conceived and many Eastern European, specifically Polish items. featured. The wine list was comprehensive but somewhat expensive for the vintages on offer. The service was efficient rather than friendly and enthusiastic and somewhat fragmented inasmuch we were served by many members of staff. But overall a pleasant dining experience.
- A great Sunday lunchgazamaroonieDined on 20/7/2014We were visiting the London Aquarium and wanted somewhere different to eat other than the usually chains. After a bit of research we chose the Baltic. We arrived as they opened at noon, the bar area is dark and narrow but the room opens up into a light bright restaurant. We were well looked after by the staff and the food was superb. Our 11 year old son said it was one of the best meals that he has ever had - high praise indeed! I used my Times+ card so got 2-for-1 on mains and desserts. The food was good value but this made it great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningRichardDined on 19/7/2014Baltic was a really good evening. I went there for food and a couple of drinks; the food was excellent, both in quality and value. Couldn't fault it; excellent portion sizes so I wasn't too full afterwards. The drinks made the night for me; the Baltic cocktails were all really tasty and the warm shots were a treat. I'd recommend the warm honey vodka as something to have just before, with or instead of a desert. Delicious. The service was also excellent. Throughout the night with the staff always on hand and extremely friendly. Definitely going back again!Special Features:
- RMS1Dined on 19/7/2014This was my first visit and I was not disappointed. The cocktail list is really impressive and great fun to try out all the Baltic cocktails! The service was quick and the food we ordered was excellent although they could add more traditional East European dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Newbery2Dined on 15/7/2014I have eaten here a handful of times and it never disappoints. I love the food, cocktails, service and ambiance and always find something new to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingProfDined on 13/7/2014I've enjoyed a number of really good dinners at the Baltic and I love the restaurant space, which is normally very cool. For the first time on Sunday I experienced the 'live music' at the Baltic - some folkloric violin and accordion playing that was anything but cool and made us feel as if we were in an old-fashioned Greek restaurant. The restaurant was nearly empty, in contrast to the usual buzz. To cap it all, having praised the food to my guests, it was exactly what I'd said it wouldn't be: stodgy! Sadly, it was not a treat at all for my guests and I felt embarrassed by my choice of restaurant. I hope this was a one-off, - maybe the usual chefs were away? But I'd certainly never go again on a music night.Special Features:
- Space and food are both specialMachiavelliDined on 12/7/2014It's a very spacious restaurant but at the same time it's not noisy. The food is special.Special Features:
- Baltic restaurantAndKaDined on 5/7/2014We had really good time out there. Food was delicious and well presented. Restaurant staff were kind and explained everything without rushing you to order. Prices?? well.. starters/mains/deserts plus drinks for two of us were around £100. I would recommend this place!!Special Features:
- Polish appealoccasionalluncherDined on 5/7/2014We booked a table for 5 people but 3 of our party got lost en route. Althought the kitchen had technically closed by the time they arrived the waiters were lovely and put up with us ordering late. The food is realy good, portion size is large and the range of vodkas cannot be matched. The restaurant has a clean open feel with a glass ceiling and exposed beams whilst there are plenty of intimate areas around the bar for the romantically inclined. The cocktails we had before lunch were all expertly made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/7/2014Every time I've been to Baltic I've found the food to be excellent, the staff to be friendly and welcoming and the general feel of the place is excellent. Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and different to the norm!ChiefDined on 4/7/2014Service was great, the food was different but really tasty. I recommend the dumplings for starters and the rabbit is unbelievable! The setting was light and the wood beans that run throughout the dinner area really are impressive. Will definitely bring both social friends and work colleagues back to this place! P.S. thanks for the polish vodka birthday shot!Special Features:
- Business LunchCharlotteDined on 3/7/2014I went for a business lunch and there was a good selection for meat eaters and vegetarians. I had the steak tartare...but I wish I'd ordered something else as it was a bit dull and the others all ordered the scallops which looked much tastier. The service was very good, I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalticObaPuffPuffDined on 2/7/2014Food was ok, but the staff seemed a unprofessional and there were a few mix ups. A good idea, but the execution wasn't great. It was a shame as the space is quite nice.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/6/2014We celebrated a family birthday here and the food and service were great. It was so good to go to a restaurant with a different menu and the staff were lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT MEAL!JoziLiveDined on 29/6/2014Went on Sunday for an evening meal with friends. The food was great - and very different (for those who don't know Polish / Ukrainian food). Service good. Very nice space, lots of natural light. Shall definitely go back.Special Features: