74 Blackfriars Road
London, SE1 8HANeighbourhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079281111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm Tue - Sat: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:15pm Sun 12:00pm - 4:30pm. 5:30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater everything from cocktail and canape parties through to dinners, weddings and large corporate events all with a distinctive Eastern European style.please contact Jan Woroniecki on 020 7928 1111 to discuss your event.
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday evening featuring some of the best young musicians currently playing London.
A word from Baltic
Based in a converted carriage works, the interior of Southwark’s Baltic restaurant is achingly hip. Warm neutral colours, pale wooden beams and natural light from the glass atrium give the place a natural, organic feel. Right by Southwark tube, Baltic is an ideal place to kick back and indulge in some inspired Eastern European delicacies pre- or post- a trip to The Globe Theatre or The Tate Modern, and it just wouldn’t be right to leave without sampling some of the many varieties of Polish and Russian vodka that, along with the hearty food, are Baltic’s calling card. Polish food devotees will know owner Jan Woroniecki’s name from the uber successful Wodka in Kensington, and Chef Kristov in Hammersmith; Baltic too offers a selection of traditional and not-so-traditional Eastern European dishes like pierogi, chilled Hungarian sour cherry soup or caviar blinis served with (you guessed it!) vodka. The other great draw is the jazz, on Sunday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Baltic - Best restaurants in Southbank ›
Baltic reviews from OpenTable diners
464 reviews since 23 October 2013
special occasions (222)fit for foodies (215)pre/post theatre (200)business meals (173)romance (151)group bookings (147)sunday lunch (60)outstanding value (45)disabled access (34)good vegetarian options (31)brunch (30)afternoon tea (14)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (4)Show More
- CarrieCarrieDined on 19/10/2014I am never let down by Baltic, one of my favourite London restaurants. Whether its for a special occasion with a group or a small cosy dinner or lunch, the service and attention you get from the professional and friendly staff is always excellent. The menu is modern Polish and manages to cater well for all tastes with interesting meat dishes using plums, red cabbage or fish for the health conscious. As a coeliac, there has never been a problem for me in gettijng gluten free. Lunch is never rushed and I recently enjoyed a 4 hour lunch with 15 friends for a big birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Great placeAce005Dined on 18/10/2014Wonderful restaurant to introduce you to the under-appreciated and fantastic world of Russia/Easter European cuisine. The chicken kiev and siberian pelmeni are particular highlights. Wash it all down with their homemade vodka infused with cucumber and you have a winning combination. And to wrap it up, go for the Eastern European version of cheesecake (sirnik) and wash it down with warm honey infused vodka. A winning combination!Special Features:
- GoodJR1982Dined on 15/10/2014Good as always. Nice atmosphere and lovely food, staff very attentive and recommended a great wine to go with dinner.Special Features:
- BobbyDined on 13/10/2014Have eaten here a few times now and have never been disappointed. Good location and a bit quirky on the food choices which i love.Special Features:
- SkandieDined on 11/10/2014Great food and service with reasonable prices. We visited Baltic for a birthday dinner and the staff were very helpful and accommodating despite being very busy all evening. Roasted beetroot starter followed by a herring dish was delicious. Prices are reasonable but drinks do add up to the bill quite a bit. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Baltic bountyPickyDined on 11/10/2014High ceiling with white walls but rustic beams and feature lights make this a minimalist setting yet still welcoming. Service was attentive and made sure we were able teat without being rushed even though we had little time before the theatre. Pre theatre menu was tasty and I would definitely return and try the extensive alla carte menu.Special Features:
- excellent value for moneyK2dinerDined on 10/10/2014I had a dinner with a friend Friday evening. I made a booking on Wednesday and most other highly rated restaurants did not have any vacancy at 7-8pm time zone. This one seemed to have a lot of capacity yet. So I was a bit skeptical how it would turn out. But it turned out to be very decent. I had salt beef for main. The beef was well-desalted and very tender and moist. The vegetable which were underneath very fresh delicately cooked. It was very buzzing. The bill came to £85 for two of us. If we drank more it would top £100 but I thought was very good value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and venueAnonymousDined on 7/10/2014We had a lovely meal at the Baltic. The food and service were excellent without any hint of pretentiousness. The restaurant is in a beautiful, spacious hall that makes you feel like you are outside of London for the evening. We will go back.Special Features:
- Mostly GreatgourmandiseVIPDined on 5/10/2014Most of the food was outstanding, but my potato pancakes were very overcooked and difficult to chew. The other guests felt their food was very good for the most part. The ambience is great, amazing design work in a space you wouldn't expect it. Great entryway bar, and the jazz was a nice addition. Although, when we walked in we mistook the saxophonist's warm-up for the music to come, and were very worried about a night full of noise. Once the other musician got there, it was really great music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outDanielDzikowskiDined on 4/10/2014It was my second time here. The food is definitely outstanding and present slightly modern variation of eastern cuisine. The service is attentive but changes of waiters during the service few times led to unnecessary confusions. The prices are on top of the average range - three people dinner with a pint of beer £155.00Special Features:
- ReneDined on 4/10/2014Excellent food and wine, good value, lovely place, buzzy brasserie atmosphere and very kind staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findBibendum1Dined on 4/10/2014Visited Baltic for a Saturday lunch. The set menu was excellent- good choice and great value - it included a Bellini or Bloody Mary. The Al a carte also had some interesting and well priced choices. The staff were very professional and friendly and we didn't feel hurried, in spite of being the last to leave. There's also a huge vodka menu- which we did sample and a good, well priced house wine. We all said we'd recommend the restaurant and all hope to return!Special Features:
- Weekday lunchAnonymousVIPDined on 3/10/2014Unpretentious and unpromising outside leading to a wonderful indoor space with plenty of light. It was Friday lunchtime but was not too busy. I liked the fact that there was plenty of space between the tables. Set menu was good value but fairly limited choice. Food was delicious and the service was very attentive. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Great ServiceRJESSDined on 2/10/2014Meal was terrific as was service. Prices were very reasonable. Inside decor was pleasantly surprising since from the outside it looked to be very plain. Atmosphere was lively and fun. As an aside we had to push our reservation twice due to traffic in the city and the restaurant was very accomadatingSpecial Features:
- Brilliant, shame about the pancakeMegbDined on 1/10/2014I gave 3 rather than 4 stars on food because we were very disappointed in the potato pancakes. They were very hard and chewy rather than crispy. In my mind potato pancakes should be crispy on the outside but have clear flakes of grated potato on the inside. They were being served with blood sausage which is very salty and fatty as well. the whole balance of the dish was off and we didn't finish it. However, usually the food is amazing. Baltic serves some of the best beetroot soup and herring salad I've had in London. Their extensive vodka selection is fantastic and the bar staff make brilliant martinis. The staff were very patient with us despite us wanting to order 3 starters instead of starters and mains and asking lots of questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Critical1Dined on 28/9/2014Serene space, attentive but no-intrusive service and top-notch food and cocktails. Will definitely be back for the pierogi.Special Features:
- Ok after The Old VicKazWorkFoodVIPDined on 26/9/2014Food was ok, staff were attentive enough but the food didn't really do it for me. It's ok, some days would be better than others. Comfort food.Special Features:
- ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014Excellent food and ambiance as usual. First time we'd dined here for six years following several years overseas and was great to see that nothing had changed. Even our waiter had recently returned from 8 years elsewhere and stated the same. Nothing pretentious, just excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Excellent, Food mediocreKwintetDined on 24/9/2014Tried this restaurant with a friend after a London Eye Experience and whilst the first course was very good, my friend had steak for mains and couid not eat it as it was so tough and stringy (she'd ordered medium rare). I had the duck which was okay, but I have had better elsewhere, wouldn't really recommend. It was very popular so perhaps some of the other main course options would have been better.
- Persistently Popular PolandWoollybearDined on 23/9/2014We used to live on the Southbank and ate regularly visited Baltic. We moved away about three years ago and foolishly have not been since. Some friends said recently that they liked vodka and were interested in trying Polish food, so, Baltic it was. It has maintained its standards and has got better. The range of vodkas, served at the right temperature is, of course, still great. The wine list is good and reasonable in price with real bargains. The old favourites are delicious - beetroot soup, pelmeni, potato pancakes, gravad lax, herring etc. There are also other great dishes such as devilled kidneys with beans, rabbit etc. The place was packed and buzzing which is great to see. Despite the covers being served service was great.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/9/2014It's my second time at the restaurant. I really enjoyed the food both times round. Service is very good, staff friendly and attentive. Definitely would recommend it and I am sure it's not my last visit. Pre theater menu value is great. Food is well prepared and very tasty, really nice cheesecake. Nice ambiance. overall very good experience.Special Features:
- Nice ambiencedarlingsalVIPDined on 20/9/2014The food is always good and ambience is great. We would go back soon.Special Features:
- Love this placeJSTSVIPDined on 20/9/2014This is my third time at the Baltic this year, however, I have been coming here for many years. We took two friends (it was their first time) and they loved it. One of my friends does not eat meat, so this was a great venue for her as there are lots of fish and vegetarian dishes on the menu. For the meat eaters, there are plenty of hearty meaty dishes. We had a couple of bottles of Picpoul de Pinet (a good but inexpensive white wine from the Languedoc) which was £24 a bottle. Our friends are not keen on Vodka but they had several shots of sweet plum vodka which was served hot as a digestive. The food was inventive and tasty. Will be back again before the year is out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious dumplingscateDined on 19/9/2014great food, a bit on the unusual side. Particularly recommend the pork and veal dumplings starter.Special Features:
- Relaxed lunch with familycountrymouseDined on 19/9/2014Great place to get together for weekend lunch. Second time for us. We like the airy dining room. Tasty hearty food. Great value set menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ACDCVIPDined on 19/9/2014Well placed for the Old and Young Vic. Excellent food with a buzzing bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantcam526Dined on 18/9/2014Really liked our meal at the Baltic. Ate off the pre-theatre menu which was good but not great. Desserts were really nice, good cocktails and liked the atmosphere/design in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely.....lahlahlahDined on 18/9/2014My third meal at Baltic, but took two friends who hadn't been before. They loved it too. Everything from the cocktail menu onwards was great, but especially the food. We liked everything - pancakes with gravadlax, goose, salt beef and vegetarian option were all very good. Yummy puddings, good coffee and an excellent glass of dessert wine (Hungarian tokayi) rounded it all off nicely. Atmosphere is good - I've been here just for drinks at the bar too - Baltic always has a nice buzz. Only drawback this time was the presence of a large party - around 60 people. Didn't affect the service - all credit to the staff for that - but it did make the restaurant a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent eveningdinerESDined on 14/9/2014Having eaten at Baltic a few times before, my partner and I decided to take my parents to the restaurant for dinner during their recent visit to London. The four of us had an utterly lovely evening. As before, everything about the experience was pleasurable - it's such a beautiful space, and the fabulous cocktail and vodkas menu makes the whole thing feel immediately special and unusual. We all found lots of dishes to tempt us, and essentially shared all our starters and our mains, to ensure that we all got a taste of everything - so many wonderful flavours and unconventional combinations, without pretension or stuffiness. The staff are friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and attentive, without ever being instrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting foodLizzieDined on 13/9/2014We enjoyed the cuisine at The Baltic very much, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good meal in a pleasant setting, that is peaceful.Special Features:
- FoodieWannabeVIPDined on 12/9/2014excellent post theatre meal .. really yum. Although the menu seemed extensive we restricted ourselves to a few starters as it was already 11pm. Will definitely go back at an earlier time to sample the full menu. Those dishes we dish have we delicious.Special Features:
- Great eveningKoneserDined on 12/9/2014Booked for an anniversary and proved to be a good idea as the venue is perfect for a special meal. Started with a drink in the bar and the staff were really friendly . We were shown to our table in the restaurant area. It was busy that evening but our food and drinks orders were dealt with really quickly. Food was really good mixing mainly Polish dishes with influences from Georgia and Eastern Europe. Chose a Georgian wine which was really good. Great food that never disappoints plus extensive vodka list. Slick service and consistently good food make Baltic a great choice - have been here many times and am sure to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great first time experiencenonameDined on 12/9/2014Food was traditional with a designer twist. Great range of cocktails with a vodka theme and pleasantly broad wine menu with some true gems on offer. Service was attentive, possibly overly so, but you certainly didn't have to wait to get anyone's attention, even on a very busy Friday night. Time flew by in the modern stylish surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CamberwellianDined on 12/9/2014More Polish cuisine than I remember from the last time I went there, but lovely ambience, friendly staff great cocktails and a good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalticdonnaVIPDined on 5/9/2014Very good value of set pre-theatre menu. The food was freshly cooked, good flavours and very generous in portion size. Didn't appreciate being led to the table furthest away when the restaurant was empty as we arrived. The staff are efficient but are very much coldly efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except the scallop!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014When a starter says scallops you hope for more than one sliced into 3 !Special Features:
- Some superb foodMikeADined on 3/9/2014Once again, food quite terrific, though the rabbit did not quite hit the same heights as the rest of starters and mains. The plum, chocolate and run desert was just out of this world. The only snag -- the acoustics. When full the place is horribly noisy, making conversation difficult.
- KBeeDined on 1/9/2014A little bit of a long wait between courses but very delicious and sophisticated food with a Polish twist to the menu. Have been before and will definitely come again. Recommend the vodka martinis to start. Yum.Special Features:
- hungryinlondonDined on 30/8/2014I would like to return to sample more from the menu: there were so many interesting tastes that it was difficult to make a decision. Tables were a little close together but the lighting was low and the ambience relaxed that it didn't really matter once sat. Cocktails were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMGHungryDined on 29/8/2014I really enjoyed my meal there. Excellent ingredients perfectly prepared. A great place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.