Bar Boulud @ Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park
London, SW1X 7LANeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £25 and under
Bar Boulud @ Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.danielnyc.com/barbouludLondon.html
- Phone: 02072013899x
- Hours of Operation:
Restaurant: Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 10pm
Bar: Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 1am
Sunday: 12pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Dean Yasharian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bar Boulud @ Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park
Set in Knightsbridge, award-winning Bar Boulud is a French-inspired bistro & wine bar at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, under the direction of renowned Lyon-born chef Daniel Boulud. The full à la carte bistro menu, served all day, is based on seasonal, rustic French cooking & includes an array of charcuterie prepared onsite. Featured are Boulud’s popular American transplants, the Yankee, Frenchie, Piggie & signature BB Burger, unique to London. A £17 two or £19 three course ‘Bouchon Menu’, changing daily, is available until 7pm, inclusive of a glass of house wine. The interior comprises of a zinc-topped bar & sleek open kitchen, adding to the dining room’s buzz. Two private dining rooms each seat up to 20 guests for a more intimate affair. Bar Boulud features an impressive selection of wines with a focus on the Burgundy & Rhône regions, & a wide selection of beers. With outstanding food, drink & service, Bar Boulud has secured its reputation as one of London’s most popular dining spots.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bar Boulud @ Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park - Best restaurants in Knightsbridge ›
Bar Boulud @ Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park reviews from OpenTable diners
594 reviews since 21 October 2013
fit for foodies (269)business meals (247)special occasions (233)brunch (132)sunday lunch (123)romance (115)pre/post theatre (112)group bookings (88)child friendly (59)outstanding value (47)afternoon tea (35)disabled access (27)good vegetarian options (21)outdoor eating (9)Show More
- Heavenly burgersgourmet1dinerDined on 17/10/2014The food was delicious, especially the yankee burger was yummy. The staff was very friendly, helpful and very professonal. The atmosphere was very cosy . The only thing that bothered me was too much noise, but I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pumpkinDined on 15/10/2014friendly service, good food, but very hit or miss service. Servers came by several times to say our food would soon be out, but nothing ever happened. We tried to get the attention of multiple servers, hosts. etc. but it had no effect. I think we will reconsider coming to the restaurant again because of the long wait for the food.Special Features:
- Excellent set lunchVisi2rsDined on 15/10/2014Lovely 3 course set lunch. Exceptionally good service. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Perfect Lunch SettingSBBBDined on 13/10/2014It is a great place to have a delicious lunch , the food is very good as well as the ambiance and perfect locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightCamillsenDined on 11/10/2014Everything from booking the restaurant to the end of the meal was nice. Great service all the way, the food was heavenly, maybe except the chicken, which was on the dull side. Will definitely recommend the Tasting of the Charcuterie and the burgers. Nice ambience and I really hope to be back soon!Special Features:
- sophiesophieDined on 10/10/2014the place looks awesome and the toilets don't look terrible (!). The service was really nice and we even got offered a complimentary plate for our anniversary. However after we've made a food order we had to wait for an hour for the food to be brought to the table as the waiter has forgotten to put it through the kitchen. 7/10. P.S. The BB burger which was £23 ( 5/10) was much much much worse than a cheaper version with pulled pork and jalepeno mayo (9/10)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the burgers were greatLizCamillaDined on 7/10/2014We were recommended to eat the burgers from the famous chef Eyvind Hellstrøm, and they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandarinOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014It was my daugters 18th Birthday, arranged this as a special treat. The drinks and starters were fine, then they lost the order for main course, we sat around for another 30mins before they arrived, one was cold and we sent it back, but still cold. We left. Birthday meal ruined !
- Excellent food, good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2014Excellent food, as one would expect but the service was a bit off. Started with seating. We arrived on time and were taken to our table and it had not been cleared or cleaned from the last guest so back out to the bar. Had a course of mussels and the bowls into which to put the shells showed up about 10 minutes later when we were half way through the order. In the meantime, the hot towels came out almost immediately after the mussels, resulting in not so hot towels 15 minutes later. Just a bit off their game that night. Except for the sommelier, the staff was quite friendly and engaging. I like this place due to its series of small rooms--makes the atmosphere intimate and easy to hear your guests. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavourless foodAlellyDined on 3/10/2014I've been to Bar Boulud several times before and had great food. This time I had been discussing with a friend great burgers and boulud had come up so we decided to go. I had the fish soup to start and it was fine, if a bit bland. I've had it here before and recall it being much better previously so my first thought was that they must've changed chef or supplier. This seemed to be confirmed when the burgers arrived. They were incredibly tasteless. The meat wasn't juicy and there was no sauce so they were very dry. The meat was cooked correctly and there was a nice brioche bun. The chips were a bit anaemic but fine. I'm also not a fan of the shredded lettuce as it was very limp. The service was excellent though.Special Features:
- SundayDined on 27/9/2014Returned to this restaurant having had a superb meal. Ordered the same again as did friends and we were slightly disappointed as the burgers were not made with as much love and care as the last time! Wouldn't rush back for third meal.Special Features:
- CriticaldinerDined on 27/9/2014A friend and I had lunch on Saturday. We chose dishes from the set lunch menu and they were absolutely delicious. The service was impeccable and the atmosphere most pleasant. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:
- Nice place to eatmotownVIPDined on 26/9/2014The food is excellent and the atomosphere buzzy. A great stop in Knightsbridge.Special Features:
- Dissappointed2foodiesDined on 22/9/2014Based on a few business-related visits I took my wife. We have been to DBoulud places in NYC, Toronto and Vancouver and enjoyed them thoroughly. Very busy for a Monday night (may have contributed to the difficulties). My wife's Lemon sole on the bone was serously undercooked. This was not properly remedied when it came back. My grouse breast was tasy but lukewarm and the parsnip puree was weak. They took the sole off the bill and gave us a yummy basket of just baked madeleines as an apology. Dissappointed because the DB brand sets a high expectation for us.
- Not Happy, this was my 5th visitnewyorkerDined on 20/9/20144 previous visits had great results, this was terrible. WiFi code did not work & the correct one, promised, never arrived. 9 pm reservation, the table was ready but we got 3 different people pressing us for our order, last being a captain. It seemed we were being pushed maybe the kitchen wanted an early night. We were only sitting 15 min at best. We asked for a second bottle of wine same as first, but the one that arrived was 5 times the amount good thing we know to look at labels! We had multiple appetizers to share all were excellent as expected. Because of the amount of appetizers, I told the waiter not to "fire" the steaks until we were done so we could have a moment to relax between courses. Steaks & sides came cold. Never going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014It was a very nice experience, we are coming back the next time we come to London. Nice place, good service et good food.Special Features:
- ExcellentirdinerDined on 16/9/2014Had the pre-7pm set menu, which was superb value. Top-notch food in a classy environment, with really polished, engaged and professional staff. A very safe choice, and perfectly positioned in the heart of Knightsbridge. No wonder it was so popular, even mid-evening on a Tuesday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchToptablefan1VIPDined on 14/9/2014Second time to the restaurant - the burger is still of good standard, We had a lovely relaxing Sunday lunch , the pistachio soufflé is amazingly good !Special Features:
- Best burgers in townAD1000Dined on 12/9/2014The place has a great vibe and the burgers are superb. I preferred the piggies burger than the one with fois gras in it. Foss gras has such a delicate flavour that it is wasted in a burger and just serves to moisten it. The waiter doesn't seem to be well trained though. The guy who poured wine for us spilled it everywhere when he brought up the carafe far too quickly after pouring the wine and it did splash from one end of the table to the other. Luckily we weren't wearing white or light coloured clothes. He was pleasant enough and apologised and refilled the carafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger evergyrosdineDined on 12/9/2014Every dish was exquisite, just like the service and the wine selection. But the pulled pork burger has to be the best burger that I've tried!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL BAR BOULUDLovetoDineDined on 12/9/2014This is a wonderful place, where attention to detail and service are paramount, together with superb Lyonnais food. Please bring back the quiche lorraine! They went out of their way to make the day special, it was my friends birthday. They even knew the kind of wine I like, and were attentive without being overpowering. 5***** xSpecial Features:
- interesting eveningGeldofftheGreatDined on 11/9/2014Food was good but our seating arrangement could have been better. We had a table for 2 with a table for 2 on our left and a tablet for 2 on our right . The tables were too close together. The crab starter was VERY good. Very busy even on a Thursday evening. Had to wait for some time before being served but the courteous and friendly waiters sort of compensated for the delays. Vegetarian options could be a bit more imaginative . Would definitely visit again .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chrismrDined on 11/9/2014Excellent service but expensive. The pre-7pm menu is a terrific deal, but the portions are small and you really need to have all three courses. Best coffee in London. Cocktails really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMarkBDined on 9/9/2014Had a very good evening at Bar Boulud and although overall the food was good the outstanding thing to me was the service. We had a small problem with one of the dishes and the staff resolved it quickly and without fuss even though it might have been caused by a misunderstanding of the dish by one of our party. Value OK if maybe a little expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My first visit but certainly not my last. I could not fault anything. The food, smiling and prompt service were excellent as was the value of the Prix Fixe menu.Special Features:
- A lovely evening at Bar BouludFoodiefamilyof4Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed a very pleasant evening here, celebrating my son's birthday. The ambience was excellent and the service very attentive. Our only issue: this is not a place for vegetarians! There is one choice each of a starter and main meal. On booking I was told that some meals 'could be adapted for vegetarians' but this was not offered. However - the only choice available was delicious, but only if you like mozzarella and tomato salad and stuffed tomatoes!Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsBubblybrekiDined on 6/9/2014Lots of mixed reviews but we had dined at Cafe Boulud in New York on our honeymoon do were keen to give this a try. It was great. Loved the relaxed atmosphere. Staff very attentive, food delicious, and a lovely touch at the end when they brought out a little cake and candle for hubbies birthday. Lovely end to a great day out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bouchon Menu at Bar Bouluders24Dined on 5/9/2014The restaurant's main menu is fairly expensive, but they have three courses for £19 every day before 7, which includes bread, coffee and a glass of wine! You can experience the excellent cooking at a fraction of the price. Highly recommended. Wonderful staff and a great buzz in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good value set lunchIsis2Dined on 2/9/2014Bar Boulud has been a favourite of mine since it opened but I have never been during the day. On my first lunch visit we took the three-course set menu and I was very impressed - same quality food as usual plus a glass of wine and coffee for less than the price of many main courses in the evening.Special Features:
- Staff was ExceptionalTravelx3Dined on 2/9/2014The maître d' and our waitress were professional, generous, and went above and beyond their duties. We were very impressed. The menu choices are quite varied which was wonderful: and the food excellent. I will definitely recommend to friends...and do a short review on my blog and Twitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top class in every aspectGP1980Dined on 16/8/2014Excellent food and service and also good value considering the quality of the food and that it is in London. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and very goodMerveeeeeeeeeDined on 16/8/2014The room is relaxed and gives the appearance of a much more casual place, yet the food and service is of a very high standard. Although the restaurant is below level they have used lighting and mirrors to give a open feeling. The wine list is extensive and with three Sommiliers on hand you can always find something to meet your tast and budgetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014Was led to understand that this provided some of the best French cuisine in London. Booked it for our wedding anniversary. It is really a glorified gastropub. The food was poor and extremely expensive with very limited options. The staff tried very hard to compensate and the attention and service was wonderful.
- MerveeeeeeeeeDined on 14/8/2014The room, food, are casual yet of a very high quality, the wine list and staff knowledge are excellent. While the feel is casual the staffing and attention and knowledge of the staff are more in line with a formal dining room The perfect choice for a quick meal before the teather or a leasurly meal with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant RestaurantDona1Dined on 13/8/2014Delicious food well presented in a beautiful ambience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great beer and wineFoodieinE14Dined on 9/8/2014I had heard that Bar Boulud had a gourmet burger selection and we wanted to try them. And we were not disappointed! The burgers were excellent!! Perfectly seasoned and cooked!! I can recommend The Piggy which included a beef patty and pulled pork on a cheddar bun! It was accompanied by delicious skinny fries. The rest of the menu looked good as well so we will be back to try some of the other dishes. In addition to the burgers being excellent, we were impressed with the wide range of craft beers on tap. The wine list was also extensive and excellently put together.Special Features:
- Deliciously expensive BurgerCJDINEVIPDined on 9/8/2014The burgers here are exceptional, unfortunately they are also pretty expensive. Lovely place for an afternoon session though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place awful Receptionist!LovetoDineDined on 8/8/2014Love Bar Boulud, am a regular, however the stroppy Reception/Table Allocator was horrible. Most of the staff are superb, this one should not work there. Food and waiting staff, and most of the Reception are lovely.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingHappyeaterDined on 8/8/2014I'm not sure what I expected but I was sadly disappointed by this restaurant. I had read all the hype but Bar Bouloud did not live up to it. The food was only ok, and the waiter did nothing to hide the fact that he wanted to get us out as soon as possible. I don't like restaurants that "turn tables" anyway, but the fact that we still had 1/2 an hour to go before our 2 hours were up made it even more annoying. Having eaten in Dinner, Heston Blumenthal's restaurant upstairs, and in other Mandarin Oriental restaurants, this was nowhere near in their class. I realise that this is a different class of restaurant, being much more casual but it really was not as good as I expected for a Mandarin Oriental restaurant. Not sure I would go again.
- Poor LunchPleasantPolDined on 8/8/2014I had chosen Bar Boulud to take my wife to for her birthday. Reviews of the restaurant had indicated that we would be in for a 'better than average' lunch. First impressions were good - inviting exterior, greeted at the door and the usual buzz of lunchtime service. When seated at our table we were informed that a colleague would be looking after us. We were not offered drinks or given any menus. It took a further 5 minutes before we were given menus-this may not sound like an eternity but where food is the central part of the visit the menu is quite important. We ordered drinks, which took an age to arrive. From there on we experienced very slow service and at points felt ignored. Coupled with average food it was a disappointment.