Bel and The Dragon - Godalming
Godalming, GU7 1HYNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Bel and The Dragon - Godalming
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belandthedragon-godalming.co.uk/
- Phone: 01483 527333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12 noon - 3pm | 6pm - 10pm
Sunday: 12 noon - 4pm | 6pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Mo Benassar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A Beautiful Glazed Private Dining Room seating up to 16 people
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining 01483527333x
- Public Transit: Godalming Train Station is a short 3 minute walk passing by the towns allotments and through the Phillips Memorial Gardens.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available outside the restaurant on the street or across the road in the Waitrose Car Park, both for free for 2 hours during the day. From 6pm Parking in both areas is free.
A word from Bel and The Dragon - Godalming
Bel & The Dragon Restaurant, Bar & Coffehouse is within a former Methodist Church with grand stained glass windows and high vaulted ceilings. A very sympathetic refurbishment has brought the building back to life with a fantastic bar offering everything from superb coffee to well made cocktails. Seating is over two floorsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Bel and The Dragon - Godalming - Best restaurants in Godalming ›
Bel and The Dragon - Godalming reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since 26 November 2013
special occasions (57)fit for foodies (41)romance (35)sunday lunch (25)group bookings (21)business meals (19)child friendly (19)brunch (16)good vegetarian options (7)outstanding value (7)afternoon tea (4)pre/post theatre (4)disabled access (3)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- Sunday lunchkentfoodieDined on 23/11/2014We met on at the Bel and Dragon on the recommendation of friends who had eaten at another branch. The food was very good, excellent vegetables, not over cooked and piping hot. The ambiance is a little cold, being in an old church building with high ceilings and echoing sound but otherwise all was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some great menu optionsJetSetChickDined on 1/11/2014But could be a bit more veggie friendly As always, great atmosphere and good service This is the third time I've been this year and I've had consistently good food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealToryBelleDined on 31/10/2014We had dinner here on Friday night AND lunch on Saturday! The sea bream was honestly one of the best fish dishes I've ever had, the fish was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive evening mealLuluDined on 11/10/2014We had an enjoyable meal at this restaurant, however we felt having to pay £4 extra each for a meagre portion of vegetables was excessive on top of an expensive meal. This spoilt the experience and we will probably not returnSpecial Features:
- Fabulous family lunchRichbloomfieldDined on 5/10/2014We had 8 people, including two kids plus a baby for Sunday lunch. And we had a wonderful time. The food was tasty, there was a lot of it and there was just right the amount of choice. And I can't thank the girls who served us enough for looking after us in such a friendly, efficient way.Special Features:
- Date nightJelliebellyDined on 18/9/2014Unknown to The Bel & Dragon, I'd booked this table for a date night & they gave us the best seat on the house, front & centre, think the waiter mentioned it is called the Hell's Kitchen table! Was beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all round RestaurantRobmc36Dined on 6/9/2014Superb food and excellent service. Expensive, but about what I expected for a special ocasion. Definitely close to the top of our list for best dinning experiencesSpecial Features:
- Very Nice brunch!srt89Dined on 6/9/2014We went for a Saturday brunch followed by a nice walk around Puttenham Common! Lovely daySpecial Features:
- ExcellentJosephineDined on 31/8/2014I hadn't been back to Bel and the Dragon for quite a few years. Having moved back to Guildford, this was my wish for my birthday lunch. I was not disappointed, it was just as good as I remembered. I had scallops for starter, they were perfectly cooked. The ribeye roast for main was amazing and cooked just as I like it. The chocolate mousse, yummy!!!! My husband had the duck salad which was very copious and the suckling pig which he really loved as well. The crackling was perfect (and he is really fussy!). The waiters were all very friendly and the service was very efficient. We definitely recommend this restaurant and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great venue and serviceElsBelles81Dined on 24/8/2014We came here for a family Sunday lunch. The staff were friendly and professional, very helpful with our little boys. The food was well thought-out and delicious. As a local Godalming resident, I will definitely be returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointed...AsitisDined on 21/8/2014Picked this restaurant after reading reviews but was disappointed with the food. Great cocktails, would probably return for a drink and a light snack but not a meal.
- B&D SundayRichTraceyDined on 17/8/2014We've here eaten here over a dozen times in the last 6 months and the food is great, nothing over complicated but always well coooked and seasond. I can't compliment the staff highly enough, they are friendly and incredibly efficient without ever getting in the way.Special Features:
- Excellent time hadHappyfood1Dined on 10/8/2014Booked for Sunday lunch for 6 of us at short notice. Service was fantastic and food was very good especially the Sunday roast. Highly recoomendSpecial Features:
- Birthday mealRedbrrry1Dined on 6/8/2014We went as a group of five to celebrate my husband's birthday. The staff were informative and courteous and the food was excellent, The choice of food was varied and we found something to suit all tastes - would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Beautiful RestaurantfoodieDined on 4/8/2014I first came to eat at the Bel and Dragon (Godalming) after a lady come round to my office (also in Godalming) to deliver some brownies - a very successful campaign that got me straight down there to taste more! I have since eaten at the Bel and Dragon three times and have never been disappointed. The staff are attentive and the food is exquisite. The lobster is certainly my favourite dish there (unfortunately it is also the most expensive dish on the menu). But this won't stop me from going or suggesting the place whenever an occasion calls for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- batchakDined on 27/7/2014This is my 3rd visit and I love it! Great ambience, excellent, friendly service and excellent food. Will keep going...Special Features:
- Excellent MealSeasoneddinerDined on 24/7/2014Thank you. 2nd time we have dined at the restaurant and food and service excellent again. We love the relaxed ambience of the restaurant and friendliness of the staff. Rare to find somewhere that serves such excellent food without being overly formal. We recommend the restaurant to all our friends despite the fact that we live 90 minutes drive away.Special Features:
- dinnerflicksnumber1Dined on 12/7/2014we enjoyed our meal, have been a few times and not been dissapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceBlueberryDined on 5/7/2014Service was impeccable as always. Food really good. Our 6 year old loved being treated as an adult but was also given crayons and paper to keep him occupied :-)Special Features:
- Tasty brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014Enjoyable and large portions for lunch. Good wine selection. Tasty. Nice setting.Special Features:
- CharlesDined on 29/6/2014I've been here 4 times now and never left disappointed in any way. Excellent food thats well presented and thought through for a complete menu, excellent service, interesting setting. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAR BETTER THAN THE IVYZOLATUFFDined on 14/6/2014SERVICE PERFECT. FOOD PERFECT. WHAT MORE CAN BE SAID. WILL BE GOING BACK.Special Features:
- Bel & The DragonMatildaCDined on 12/6/2014Delicious food and unusual combinations. Not so sure about the semi-circular bench for 2 people.Special Features:
- Saturday evening treatShirleyDined on 7/6/2014The evening started off very badly with an extremely rude person at the bar who was most abusive towards us. The staff intervened and were extremely professional,polite and courteous, although it was not their fault they went out of their way to calm the situation down it was a great evening from there on it, the food was declisous the customer services was out of this world and we have been going to the Bel and Dragon since it first opened many years ago but under this management owe feel you are definitelys the best. We definagtely shall continue to eat at the Bel and Dragon as our first choice of special occasion dining. Thank you for the experience.Special Features:
- Perfection!virtualgeezerDined on 4/6/2014Couldn't fault a single thing, the staff were helpful, lovely, friendly and warm. The food was beautiful and tasty, and the whole ambience of the place (being in an old church) is perfect! We will definitely be visiting again... ...and again!Special Features:
- ChefnFoodieDined on 1/6/2014Fantastic venue in a converted church - it was our second time but the rest of our party had never been and was really impressed. Menu offers a nice variety; anyone should be able to find something they fancy. All the dishes we tried were lovely and very good value for money. I think the main course was best received with dishes such as steak, suckling pig, broad bean and spring onion risotto and fish of the day. But the starters and desserts went done equally well. The cocktails were beautiful too! Staff is very friendly, the owner especially. Definitely recommend everyone to go there, particularly for a special occasion.Special Features:
- shalford52Dined on 1/6/2014We had a lovely birthday lunch for my husband on Sunday 1st June. The food was really lovely and the staff were friendly, polite and helpful without intruding on our lunch together. I would highly recommend this restaurant to friends and we will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerJojoDined on 24/5/2014Lovely dinner, amazing food and all staff were very attentive And knowledgable recommending wine choices.Special Features:
- Top service and delicious foodtok08karenDined on 17/5/2014The Bel & Dragon is in a converted church, so architecturally it's a beautiful building. We ate up in the mezzanine level with a great view over the downstairs and the stained glass window. The service was excellent. All the staff we had dealings with were super friendly and very helpful. The food was delicious. And I can highly recommend their margaritas! There is an outside seating area which was a pleasant surprise. We relocated there after dinner and they kindly brought our bits and pieces to us and ordered our taxi. All in all a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/5/2014Should have ingredients in stock for courses listed on menu to avoid disappointment. Two meals were off the menu due to lack of ingredients. Mussels and avocado. Bizarre considering there is a huge Waitrose opposite that was open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice meal outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014I've eaten in two other Bel and Dragons and this was the best for service. Food was good but not outstanding (although my husband recommends the flat iron steak as being better than Sirloin). For a Bank Holiday Monday it was surprisingly quiet. Booking through Open table was a breeze.Special Features:
- Good FoodAndrewNDined on 3/5/2014I have been to the Bel & Dragon twice in a week, once for a business lunch and once for a family meal in the evening. Both occasions the food was very good and the service very friendly. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014Amazing, faultess meal with outstanding food and service, Staff could not be nicer or more helpful. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- A lovely evening outexcellentDined on 20/4/2014It is certainly worth a visit to this restaurant, the decor is excellent, the service is first class and so is the food! Spoil yourselves, it is worth the money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!SizzDined on 30/3/2014After hearing that The Bell & Dragon had picked up again after some poor reviews and based on the recommendation of a friend we decided to give it another go. What a great decision that was! My mum arrived a little early and was welcomed to the bar and obviously entertained somewhat as she was able to fill me in in the restaurants recent history and how it was now being managed. We were seated in an almost private dining area (just luck) and our waiter arrived promptly. His service was amazing and his knowledge of their food was incredible. The food itself was 5 star in respects to quality, presentation and portion size! The service from all staff is where Bell & Dragon truly excelled! A simple meal turned into a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphere, great foodAnthonyHKDined on 29/3/2014The food at the bell and dragon is brilliant. The atmosphere is lovely with the tables nicely spaced and original features of beautiful building. The relaxed demeanour of the waiting staff enhanced the overall experience. The only down side is that whilst there is wheelchair access, it is not the easiest as requires staff to lay a temporary ramp where there is not enough room to safely use independently. However, I would reiterate that the dining experience overall was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceant123Dined on 29/3/2014When I say slow service, it wasn't by the waiting staff (who were good and largely attentive) but the kitchen which took a long time to cook our meals. Strangely, the coffee arrived before our puddings. On leaving, I did mention the slow service to our waiter who politely thanked me for my (constructive) criticism. I noticed the same issue in the Churt branch of the restaurant a couple of months ago. Good food needs care but this wasn't haute cuisine where you expect to wait a long time. The staff accommodated us plus two 90 year old ladies (one with a zimmer frame) plus my two deaf cousins with their hearing dog, so top marks for dealing with our rather quirky party.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - Service and food!KarenmariadDined on 29/3/2014What sets this place apart is the attention to detail and making you feel welcome from the moment you enter. It is easy for places to serve up good food, but if this isn't matched by fantastic service, then you leave with a sour taste In your mouth and a ruined experience. I took my toddler along with the family for lunch. Being a foodie, i have found that going out with a toddler is difficult at the best of times and it is a real gem when you find a place that caters for young ones (colouring and toys in a box at the side). More over, the staff were extremely friendly and engaging. Not many places that serve yummy well cooked food can also offer top notch service to all regardless of age! Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bell and DragonHubbellDined on 15/3/2014We went to the B & D to dress up and have a nice meal. The food was great but for a £121 for a pub atmosphere and sitting beside a kid with his jeans 1/2 way down his -- and in a dirty T-Shirt I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Praise All Round!simplygoodfoodDined on 8/3/2014A lovely evening was had by all! Extremely well prepared food, excellent service and a decent bottle of wine. All of our party praised the food highly. The dairy free choices clearly marked on a prepared menu were a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.