Bengal Tiger Restaurant
62 - 66 Carter Lane
London, EC4V 5EANeighborhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
Bengal Tiger Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bengaltiger.org.uk/
- Phone: 02072486361
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sun: 11:30am-15:00pm, 17:30pm - 23:30pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Bengal Tiger Restaurant
Bengal Tiger restaurant in the City of London is just a few minutes’ walk from Blackfriars tube station and an equally short stroll from St Pauls Cathedral. This Indian restaurant offers northern Indian cuisine in a sleek, spotlit setting. A cool architectural sculpture separates the bar from the dining room and the place is decorated throughout with tiger-themed art. Bengal Tiger differentiates itself from the curry houses that dot the City by its selection of chef’s specials. Food is freshly cooked to order and is prepared with fine ingredients that have been sourced from all over the world. If you’re looking for authentic Indian cuisine in a smart, relaxed City setting, then look no further than the Bengal Tiger. The sikandari raan is a magnificent version of slow-cooked spiced lamb shank. Chicken jaipuri in a medium tamarind sauce, and a tandoori-cooked duck akberi masala are equally memorable to the taste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bengal Tiger Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since 6 May 2014
business meals (11)group bookings (6)good vegetarian options (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasions (3)romance (1)Show More
- Try this for lunch, but not dinner.ClaudiaVIPDined on 30/5/2014This is the classic restaurant in the City that works well at lunchtime for business lunches, but not so well for dinner. The result? Food from the morning shift, which is served to you at dinner time after having been microwaved. The good lacked of flavours and it wasn't as spicy as Indian food should be. The meat, as a result of being re-heated, was dry and it hadn't enough sauce. Maybe not a good idea to go to a lunch place at dinner time!Special Features:
- Good Authentic foodAkhterDined on 19/5/2014Excellent Tandoori platter and Roopchanda fish. Good serviceSpecial Features:
- perfect as alwaysSammyDoodleVIPDined on 4/4/2014food, perfect, hot, tasty as always. Service quick and efficientSpecial Features:
- Team lunchTamzaDined on 1/4/2014The staff were not pleasant and even tried to argue with us when we noted that one meal was wrong and the order was for chicken and not lamb. Also one of the meals was not cooked through and had to be replaced. Food was ok but will most likely go elsewhere next time around
- Last Minute BookingNikV2Dined on 13/3/2014Very popular with some overseas guests I had to book an informal dinner for, they loved it.Special Features:
- Good food but not value for moneyEating007Dined on 26/2/2014Food was good and not greasy like some Indians can me however was expensive for 2 people for what it is... Or typical Indian. Good food but standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, serviceSmithyDined on 12/2/2014This is my third time dining here and every time, the food, drinks and impecable service never disappoints. There are great vegetarian options also, almost tempts me to skip the meat options.Special Features:
- Decent Indian curry, convenientMartijnDined on 28/1/2014Decent Indian curry, convenient location close to Blackfriars and St. Pauls.Special Features:
- Good Service and City PricesMKlubberDined on 19/12/2013As a regual group of curry eaters we know that some restaurants struggle when they are even half full. Tonight the service was swift and friendly at a pre-Christmas packed place. Food was good and well presented. Cost was on the high very side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceHungrybooDined on 18/12/2013Worst service I'd received in a restaurant. The waiters were rude and took a very long time to serve our group. One of the waiters put his fingers in my friend's food (in front of her) before serving it to her. They tried to force us to pay service charge but we refused. Food was average at best.Special Features:
- an ok place for a businessIBBBVIPDined on 16/12/2013an ok place for a business lunch. traditional indian restaurant in the city serving all of the usual fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good city based IndianCharlieDined on 13/12/2013I don't have a huge amount to say. It was a good meal- not exceptional but it wasn't particularly expensive so good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A top curry house in LondonNG01Dined on 12/12/2013As I am from Birmingham, the home of the curry :+) i had great expectations of this restaurant. I found the food, service and location for a dinner I hosted to be faultless. The booking was easy and the service was great, especially as there was 12 of us. if you would like a curry in London, this is worth a strong consideration. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 258 reviews are from the Bengal Tiger Restaurant reviews archive.
- Love, love this place, thisSammyDoodleVIPDined on 25/7/2013Love, love this place, this is our favourite curry house in the City and we eat here regularly - never, never had better Indian food than in here! You must try itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team curryFrecklzDined on 16/7/2013A group from work tried this centrally located curry house. It served standard curry dishes and did them well. The naan was very fresh and everyone enjoyed their food. We had a round table which made the evening more sociable. It was not busy but we went on a Tuesday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very average Indian experienceSlatermanDined on 20/6/2013Went with a group of fellow professionals and the meal was average. Pricy as well as it worked out to £40 per head. The dishes were ok but lacked any standout dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good place for official lunchesChiragDined on 10/6/2013Though the service is a bit slow, the food options are good. And the curries are delicious!Special Features:
- Food is always excellent atSammyDoodleVIPDined on 23/5/2013Food is always excellent at the Bengal, when we want Indian food in the City, its our first choice everytime, as soon as I leave I cant wait to go back! AWESOME placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incorrect food servedlanaDined on 22/5/2013We ordered rogan josh but served a different dish. Seating arrangements are too tight. Staff is not welcoming.
- Lunch on a SaturdayHazKazVIPDined on 13/4/2013Came across this nice little restaurant in an alleyway near St. Paul's Cathedral. Decor and setting was nice, but the restaurant was EMPTY, as in, there were more staff than patrons. Ordered a samosa entree which was very small in portion size, and expensive, but tasty. The mains were decent, the curry was a bit oily, but overall a decent experience. Worth visiting again.
- Been a coupel of years sinceJowwVIPDined on 3/4/2013Been a coupel of years since my last visit but it was unchanged. The quality of the food is very good, I would recommend the Chicken Tikka Masala and Mushroom Pilia rice as a great main meal. The waiters were attentive and the food was hot and tasty wil the kingfisher beer was cold. Price wise it is on the expensive side at £25 per person for once course an a drink so maybe they ned ot look at some deals to help pull customers in given it is off the main road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good environment,alaanaDined on 27/3/2013Great food and good environment, I arranged a business dinner there and was very pleased with the service we recieved for such a large group.Special Features:
- Excellent variety of dishestinksDined on 27/3/2013Bengal Tiger Restaurant has a well stocked bar with a bar area to sit at before moving to a table, which we particularly liked. You are spoilt for choice on a large selection of starters, mains, vegetarian dishes & rice/breads. Interestingly, duck featured frequently on the menu which we had never seen in an Indian restaurant before, and everyone agreed the Duck Tikka was one of the nicest dishes. The Roopchanda (pomfret - fish) dish was a little too spicy but tasty nonetheless, and the selection of dishes from the set menus was spot on. The waiters were very attentive + happy to amend orders when appropriate. Whilst a little more expensive than Brick Lane restaurants, the food quality was much better & we will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bengal TigerbensterDined on 16/3/2013Good food, good service, and generally a nice restaurant. The house wine was the only fault; next time I'll stick to Cobra.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicehate2cookDined on 13/2/2013Excellent quality of food, great ambience and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas curry at Bengal TigerAce1917VIPDined on 21/12/2012This was a great Christmas lunch, close to the office which was very convenient. Bengal Tiger coped with our crowd admirably. The curry was good as was the service. Due to its locality we'll definitely be returning.Special Features:
- A great night of superb Indian foodRM70Dined on 20/12/2012I went with a small group of friends and The Bengal Tiger delivered in all respects. All of the main dishes we had were of a very high quality, particularly Xacutie Chicken and Lamb Shashki. The Bhindi Bhajee really stood out amongst our side dishes. The restaurant was very busy as it was the week before Christmas, but the quality of service was excellent through out our evening. I will definitely return in 2013.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas at Bengal TigerteebsDined on 20/12/2012Nice festive vibe at the Bengal Tiger in the run up to Christmas. Although I only make occasional visits to this restaurant I'd say it's probably the best Indian restaurants in the St Pauls area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The adventure: part 2Z1DNVIPDined on 5/12/2012This restaurant is in a great location tucked down inside the back streets near Blackfriars. The food was reasonably good, but not mind blowing. Service was pretty good considering they had two very large christmas parties in. The decor was pretty cool, with a giant sculpture of a tiger skeleton in the centre of the room.
- Great Food and serviceReenaDined on 23/11/2012I visted this place and took up the option for the set menu lunch deal. The food was outstanding we all enjoyed our meals and the service was great to. Definately go back again.Special Features:
- Very goodcasalicocoDined on 14/11/2012All attendees enjoyed the food and the athmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would eat here every day!SammyDoodleVIPDined on 30/10/2012We always come here for team birthdays, it never disappoints. Great food, great service. i would literally eat here every day if I could! I bring all my friends and family here at least once, and they all love it too! I wish there was one closer to home in Essex!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions on lunchtime mainsDipakDined on 25/10/20127 of us went there on the 50% off starter and main course offer they had advertised and it felt like the portions for main were also reduced by 50% in size. Food was ok but don't think it was worth the £19.00 per head we ended up paying after the 50% off. I won't be going there again.
- Tasty foodNic2012Dined on 22/10/2012I went to Bengal Tiger with my colleagues from work and we all enjoyed it. We all had a starter and a main course and were absolutely stuffed at the end of the meal. You definitely get your money's worth! We had the Toptable 50% off offer which made a huge difference to the amount that we paid at the end, although after looking at the menu I noticed that the prices are quite reasonable even without the discount. This was my second visit to Bengal Tiger and I will probably go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceCobraDined on 8/10/2012The general ambience of Bengal Tiger lends itself nicely to a dinner with colleagues. There's a fairly good variety of dishes to choose from, including vegetarian and fish options. Overall, our food was fairly good given the price we paid. The only major let down at the Bengal Tiger was the time it took the waiters to come over and take our order and the time it took the food to arrive - even though the restaurant was only half full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for a Saturday eveningAlanODDined on 6/10/2012A group of us went to eat here last Saturday. The food was good although one member said he had a dodgy tummy the following day. I liked the layout and setting of the restaurant and with 50% discount by booking through Toptable it was good value for money. When the bill was presented to us at the end of the meal I noted the 50% food discount was not included. After bringing this to the attention of the staff we were presented with the correct bill, although there was no definite apology and I had mentioned we had booked through Toptable when we entered the restaurant. If you go to eat here make sure you check the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...BDdinerDined on 5/10/2012Great food. Went for a business lunch - would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy night but good foodKingDDined on 27/9/2012The restaurant was very busy for a thursday night but the service was still OK. The food was great although one of our party insisted that we all shared. A bit of a mistake with Curry I think as there are too many strong flavours involved. However it was all very tasty and well cooked. I would certainly go again!Special Features:
- Top Quality FoodmichelinmanDined on 22/9/2012We dined on Saturday night. A little quiet, which is to be expected in the City on a weekend. What you get is food worthy of full price at great value just because of the City address. Most places won't offer you any discount on a Saturday, so I would highly recommend. This is modern style Indian food which is very well executed. If I was to offer some advice to improve, add some cocktails to the menu, and make sure you are carrying all the wines on the list. Aside from this, I would recommend that you give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty meal, lots of interestinRachelDined on 8/9/2012Very tasty meal, lots of interesting menu choices, very good value set meal. Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.