77 King's Road
London, SW3 4NXNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.benihana.co.uk/chelsea_benihana.html?p=chelsea
- Phone: 02073767799
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12pm - 3pm; 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benihana Chelsea
An always popular restaurant on the style-forward Kings Road in London’s Chelsea, Benihana offers an exciting take on Japanese dining. A concept originated way back in the 1960s over in the Big Apple, Benihana brings together food and performance, pioneering ‘eatertainment’. Ideal for families, Benihana is sleek and stylish with a modern interior, but chances are you won’t be paying much attention to your surroundings – most diners are too busy being charmed by the tableside teppan-yaki cookery which sees the chefs create real drama before your very eyes. In addition to the delicious personally created dishes cooked and served at your table, Benihana also offers eat in and lunchtime take away sushi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benihana Chelsea reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since 21 October 2013
special occasions (65)group bookings (61)child friendly (31)fit for foodies (21)business meals (20)romance (11)good vegetarian options (10)pre/post theatre (8)sunday lunch (5)brunch (3)outstanding value (1)Show More
- Awesome!!!!BhavzDined on 16/10/2014Went here with a bunch of friends for my birthday. Had a great time!!! Must recommend the prawns and beef; the chicken wasn't that great. It is pricey, but what do you expect. I would recommend and I will go again!Special Features:
- My 11 yr old loved it!!!Yaz79Dined on 16/10/2014Took my son there and we both had auchh a lovely time and experience. He has requested to come back for his birthday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too early to be funBigGVIPDined on 13/10/2014This isn't really a pre-theatre place. Just a handful of people in a vast space and service slower because of their need to group people together for the at-table cooking. That said, the food was good and the Opentable offer good value.
- 9th bday celebrationcnaismDined on 28/9/2014Went for my sons 9th bday. Was OK - they took a picture of the birthday boy but near gave us the picture? Have tried calling the restaurant to see if they can send it on. Chef didn't put on the greatest of 'shows' with the food for the kids.Special Features:
- Good funV33r3nDined on 26/9/2014Restaurant and food was good. Good experience of seeing love cooking. Tequila our chef was very funny as well. 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainingTdr1984VIPDined on 21/9/2014Benihana was a great one off. But the food was basic and over priced. You go for the entertainment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible from the onsetNeil1980Dined on 5/9/2014I called up to confirm my booking made on this site and gave my ref number of which they had no record. They honoured my booking after some debate. It was my fathers 70th birthday and had made some requests which they couldn't or should I say wouldn't accommodate. The table was booked for 8pm but we were kept waiting in the bar for near on one hour. Eventually we were seated at a table which was vacant the whole time. The service was extremely poor. Slow and rude waitresses. A family of 4 sat down after us at the shared table and were given better service. I can't help but feel this was due to a complaint I made about the wait time. I eat at amazing restaurants all over the world. Bemoans Chelsea. Hang your heads in shame. Poor poor poor 👎
- FantasticSmartie12Dined on 3/9/2014The restaurant was a fantastic dining experience fit for foodies, the chefs and waitresses were incredible and cocktails were out of this world! Only downside is that the restaurant is abit pricey as our meal for two came up to £100 :( but I would definetly visit again on a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- danni88highmatienceDined on 30/8/2014Lovely decor nice food would highly recommend fresh food beautiful cocktails ...excellent atomsphere and outstanding entertainment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 28/8/2014Have been there few times but this time felt te cook could have been a bit more energetic!Special Features:
- Good time but..nikkzDined on 26/8/2014Second time at Benihanna but first time at the Chelsea branch. I recommended the place for two birthdays but was a little disappointed when I found out the cake I ordered was never ordered and that nobody took the birthday photo for our table, from past experiences, a photo was supposed to be taken and printed out and it never happened. Other than a fee hiccups with service here and there, it was an enjoyable meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatrical diningOutagainDined on 19/8/2014Fantastic evening - excellent delicious food prepared infront of you with knife wielding showmen ! Definitely go there and see how they make trains love hearts and chop things at amazing speed!Special Features:
- WonderfulJasmineDined on 18/8/2014Really wonderful food, ambience and service. Great for birthday celebrations or gatherings with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EntertainingDevers72Dined on 16/8/2014My wife and I ended up here on a whim and it was a great last minute choice. We were a little surprised at the decor as we thought it was going to be a little more upmarket, but once we were sat at the hotplate/table our perceptions changed. Arthur our table chef was very entertaining and his knife and spatula skills were second to none, as was the lovely food. I would say that unless we were returning with a group of friends then we probably wouldn't go back, the only reason being is that the menu is a little limited as I imagine is the number of tricks these amazing chefs perform. Overall a great night and one I would recommend to anyone, especially if you have teenage children as they will be dazzled.Special Features:
- First visit, will return :)FoodiedollDined on 15/8/2014Service was great. Food was even better. We chose the six course meal which was actually 4 course. We didn't get the edamane beans or desert but only realised after we left so couldn't complain. Food was fab however and our chef was very entertaining. Will visit again. Bill came to £87 total for 2 of us. Both took up the £29 deal plus bottle of water and cocktail each. DecentI would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertainment on a plateChrisBDined on 11/8/2014OK, the food is pretty good but what this place is really about is spectacle and entertainment and it certainly provides that. If you're seeking Japanese haute cuisine, go to Nobu but for a slightly more party atmosphere then Benihana is fun. It helped that we arrived for 7pm on a Tuesday so the place wasn't mobbed with parties and we were therefore still able to hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Slow serviceFoodieDined on 2/8/2014myself and the group i attended with were disappointed in the service. we waited a long time for accompanying food as well as drinks. entertainment was fab! Luke was great.Special Features:
- All round good dealbwydblasusDined on 30/7/2014Booked an evening meal for myself and Japanese wife, utilising their special discount menu. The basement restaurant looks great as you head for your table. We were greeted by a very helpful waitress who explained how to order and gave good advice re choices. as we were only a couple we were joined at our table by two other couples, not a problem for us but something to think about if your looking for something more private. The chef who cooked our choices in front of us was very entertaining and had us all laughing at some stage, other tables had parties around them and so can be quite noisy ,so if your not into intera The food was cooked to a high standard and we enjoyed the evening, which is high praise coming from my wife.Special Features:
- Awful meal and awful ambiance!DidoshCoffeeshDined on 12/7/2014It was just an awful dinner ever! Everything was unprofessional... We never ever go this restaurant for sure. It was full with the noisy children birthday celebration and unfortunately it happend every single moment,again and again. It was really awkward... The worst thing is we are still smelling!!! I never see in my life any worse airconditioned restaurant ever! At the end of the night they gave us dessert menu and we gave our orders. Answer was they can serve only icecream because kitchen closed and cook went home(I never heard something like this in my life).... At that moment 3 tables were still serving by main courses on teppenyaki! By the way we really feel that we are still smelling...Special Features:
- Great chef appalling service!DeyaDined on 11/7/2014Really sad that what was proving to be an amazing experience ended with such a dissapointment. Five of us decided to go for their menu special which included steam rice and so were surprised to receive a bill with a charge of £20 for "RICE" ! I queried this with the waitress and she said she asked if we wanted to "upgrade" steam rice to fried rice. All of us actually understood she was giving us the option to have steam rice OR fried rice and so we went for the latter. Her english was not great so the way they do this is clearly intended to people missing the "upgrade" word so that they can charge an extra £4 for a menu of £27 on the back of something basic as rice! Worse was that the manager didn't even offer to refund this back!Special Features:
- Entertaining familyNiahDined on 11/7/2014I had to entertain my in laws and thought that Benihana would be a great place to go so if all didn't go well. The venue would entertain and even though everything went very well. We had a great night David our chef was funny and engaging and kept the adults and the children in our party laughing and smiling. Food was great. I will be back with another big group as I think this adds to the adventure.Special Features:
- Excellent venue, great staff but...opsjoDined on 15/6/2014Took my Father to Benihana in Chelsea for Father's Day. Lovely venue, easy to find, good atmosphere and very friendly staff. As you'd expect with teppanyaki, a very personal/bespoke service. Our chef was good fun, quite skilled, although looking at the others the skill/ability did vary in both directions. The only thing which let it down for me really was the quality of the food and the associated price. At £60/head i'd be expecting steak (med-rare) which didn't require a steak knife to cut through (a bit tricky with only chopsticks or a fork). Best bit of the meal for me was the dessert. As this was my first visit, it's difficult to form a fair opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonDined on 29/5/2014Benihana was as lovely as always, perfect service, perfect food...will be back for moreSpecial Features:
- Hilarious eveningfoodcomaDined on 28/5/2014Always fun to see food cooked live. Cocktails were yummy which may have contributed to hilarity of evening. Staff was helpful and patient with orders. We didn't mind but do go in a large group to prevent being seated with strangers. Food was alright, not the highlight of occasion.Special Features:
- JayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 26/5/2014Not worth the money if you just take into account the food. They've advertised the deal as 6 courses...but it was really 4. The good side is the performance from the Tepanyaki chefs. Amazing and worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No flexibility from the staffChrisBWSCDined on 26/5/2014Food was pretty good to be fair but spoilt by total lack of flexibility from the staff. I don't eat meat, the special on offer had a "pick any two.." Type thing with 4 options available. 3 dishes were meat but I was not allowed to have two of the vegetarian option. So to have the special offer I would need to order meat. Bit weird. They also made us wait for AGES until our table was full with other diners before even thinking about serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- entertainingfoodloverDined on 22/5/2014Very entertaining with a wonderful show given by the cook, in front of you. A different experience of having a meal out. definit recomendable, excellent quality food,even the high prices.
- Great eveningThegardengangDined on 20/5/2014We wanted somewhere informal and different after a day at Chelsea. Benihanas gave us all that. We went for the six course special which was excellent value for money. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great FunAlseyaVIPDined on 5/5/2014Had a great evening in Benihana, made a last minute booking and was pleasantly surprised. Lovely food, well cooked with knowledgable and entertaining chef. Good, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timeHappyDined on 4/5/2014As we sat down the waitress was standing right behind us folding napkins, and the trolley kept on pushing against my chair, so we asked her if it was ok to move to which she bluntly shook her head and said we are fully booked you can't be moved. She then took away all my cutlery and plates. We didn't say anything until the chef came and he noticed this. he tried numerous times to get the waitress' attention until he gave up and then went to the kitchen himself. We ordered rice, which came towards the end of the meal and when we questioned the delay with food the waitress raised her voice and started to argue with us. it's expense with poor quality food, that is tasteless.Special Features:
- Less of a surpriseFoodieDined on 25/4/2014Second time that my partner and I have been to Benihana (the first being 2 years back) which made the trip a little disappointing. We weren't expecting the 'tricks' to be almost identical to the the first time and thought there may be something different to make it worthwhile returning. While the novelty is great for a first timer our chef on the evening had a little less flair than those around us. In terms of value for money again we felt a little let down, we chose the set menu deal but after adding a portion of vegetables and one glass of wine the bill came to over £90 which I felt was a little steep for what I would consider simple cooking. The best part of the evening was the new friends that we made around the table!Special Features:
- Good overallDiner123Dined on 18/4/2014Sushi was excellent, food was okay, could have done with some more flavour. Chef was entertaining and funny, didn't have to wait too long for the food. Service was poor, it was difficult to get the attention from staff and drinks had to be requested multiple times before coming 20minutes later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- toptablerDined on 16/4/2014We dined as a group of 3 so we were seated with others which was fine, the chef was friendly with impressive tricks and having it cooked fresh in front of you is fantastic, the food was also very tasty. We felt the toptable deal was good value for money and the cocktails were very good. Service was friendly and efficient, good for big groups and special occasions.Special Features:
- A dramatic performanceFifidellaDined on 12/4/2014We had three generations in a private room and the group was not disappointed: the chef's performance was entertaining; the food was delicious and the service was attentive. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it for a memorable meal, we will be back!Special Features:
- Splendid placeJeanDined on 6/4/2014If you like good quality, tasty food, then Benihana is the place for you. I started eating at Benihana over 30 years ago at their Swiss Cottage branch and the food is as good today as it has always been -Benihana chelsea is cosy with really friendly and experienced chefs. Great for for family occassionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waste of moneyMarkDined on 4/4/2014I thought this restaurant was a complete waste of money.Special Features:
- Good funEJFTDined on 1/4/2014Went for my birthday with the family. Chef was very entertaining and had us all laughing. Good fun. Food was tasty, but if not on a deal I'd imagine it would be very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day TreatjpocDined on 30/3/20146 of us visited Benihana Chelsea on Mothers Day via TT and had a really lovely meal. The Chef was great and did good tricks, the food was yummy and the cocktails went down a treat too. It is quite pricey but good fun. The restaurant was very busy. Oh yes and they took a photo of us all to send us off with a Mothers Day Photo souvenir which was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationcookery64Dined on 19/2/2014We took a table for 7 people and had a special mid week offer 6 course set menu, It was delicious and very generous with an excellent selection of meats and fish for the hibachi hot plate. Our chef was full of enthusiasm and provided us with great theatre . A fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyRaineydayDined on 6/2/2014Really nice food and drink. Get there slightly early though and enjoy a cocktail at their bar before the meal to make the most of the atmosphereSpecial Features: