Big Easy Covent Garden
12 Maiden Lane
London, WC2E 7NANeighbourhood:
AmericanPrice: £25 and under
Big Easy Covent Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigeasycoventgarden.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 3728 4888
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Staurday - 12 noon - 12am
Sunday 12 noon - 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We don’t think good times are complete without some great live music so we feature a collective of some of London’s most talented blues musicians playing 2 or 3 sets nightly up to 1am.
A word from Big Easy Covent Garden
BBQ & Lobstershack. We're a local institution, with an international following. Home smoked BBQ, Fresh flown in lobster, Steaks, Margaritas & Music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Big Easy Covent Garden - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Big Easy Covent Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
1443 reviews since 26 November 2013
group bookings (767)fit for foodies (535)special occasions (521)pre/post theatre (421)outstanding value (333)child friendly (154)sunday lunch (147)brunch (123)romance (121)business meals (94)disabled access (62)outdoor eating (20)good vegetarian options (14)afternoon tea (13)Show More
- The one on King's Road is betterhappyeaterDined on 23/11/2014Unfortunately the Covent Garden branch of Big Easy is nowhere near as nice as the one on King's Road. The portions are not so generous and they use much less of the delicious BBQ sauce so the meat is a bit dry. Will definitely be going to the King's Road branch instead from now on!
- Southern BBQ in LondonLikefoodDined on 23/11/2014Overall enjoyed the experience but one or two quibbles. The table we had for 4 (nuclear family) was crammed in where one of us (me!) was constantly being brushed past as other guests and waiters squeezed past. This got a bit tedious as we sat for over 1 and half hours. However never felt rushed to eat up and leave which was good. The table was also quite small so everything was very much squashed on. The service was OK but stuff seemed to keep being forgot or having to be chased up. For instance a dessert menu The place itself was great and had a good atmosphere for a really wet Sunday afternoon. The food was very good. We had the Wood Roasted West Country Mussels and Crispy Calamari to start which was plenty shared between 4 of us. These were both very tasty and had good flavours without being too strong and were an excellent starter leaving plenty of room for the rest. For the main course we had Bar.B.Q Blow Out Served Family Style for two or more to share and the house special that day which was brisket slow cooked for 18 hours. I felt thta the ribs could have done with a little extra time to complete the fall of the bone experience and the dry rub on these could have done with a little more bite. The pulled pork was excellent and had plenty of smokey taste along with the kick from the vinegar and chilli added. The chicken was disappointing as it lacked real flavour over and above the smoke. The brisket was excellent and the BBQ sauce had a really good as it a bit of zing which was missing from some of the other dishes. The sides were fine, the fries really crunchy with good flavour and the beans with the brisket were proper BBQ. Not quite S. Carolina but did enjoy the event. I did feel it was right at the top end for price but I would be quite happy to go back and try more of the menu to get a full picture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night out with friendsAlessiaDined on 22/11/2014Good ambience, wonderful bar area! Live music, good food..perfect for a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgie55Dined on 21/11/2014Myself and work colleagues dined at the Big Easy last Friday. My friends highly recommended it and as I had never been before so i was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations and was disappointed with the meal. I ordered chicken, ribs and pulled pork combo as I couldn't decide what to have. The chicken and pulled pork were okay but cannot say that I was overwhelmed by them and to be honest have eaten better elsewhere. The ribs on the otherhand were a different story. I was expecting a smaller portion of rack of ribs but instead received strips of pork belly. Although slowly cooked, these had not been crisped up so all you could taste was fat. I would not have ordered this if I had known.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere, reasonable food.TeganDined on 21/11/2014We tried the lobster meal deal which i felt that the lobster was rather rubbery than succulent. It did not seem fresh. (I prefer the lobster from 'Burger &Lobster' so tasty and it melts in your mouth). We had the calamari and the voodoo shrimp which were good but a bit too oily. Overall i think if i were to attend again i definitely would for the atmosphere as it was great and the service was fab but I'll avoid the lobster and try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blow out it was not but OKMonkeyPuzzleDined on 21/11/2014Read a review of best bbq places to eat in London but since the top 3 were either far away market stalls or temporary pub sits, we decided to try Big Easy in Covent Garden and wanted to check whether the review was correct (innocent before proven guilty and all that). We both shared Blow Out as it had the most variety to try their bbq meats. Ribs, chicken and pulled pork were OK, but to have 'blowed' us out would have been for the meat to actually have a 'smokey' or bbq taste or at least the taste of the actual meat. Most of the time felt like tasting the bbq sauce/rub rather than meat. Would have also been better if customers were able to make their own choices to 'Blow out' on as would have liked to try a little lobster and chicken wings. Review was right after all but all together Big Easy was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentfoodfanDined on 20/11/2014Great food and lively atmosphere, if a bit too noisy for two friends having a catch-up. There was live music right by us (which was probably the main reason for this) but performers were very good nonetheless! The pulled pork and the ribs were fantastic and they were happy to let us have a doggy bag as we were stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The closest you can get to Texas & Louisiana food!AndyDined on 20/11/2014I've visited here 3 times now and have had to pre book online on each occasion, even mid week. Online booking is fast and easy with the option to have the booking saved to your Apple or Android calendars. The tables have a 2 hour window per booking. It's easy to see why the place is so popular. The atmosphere and service is very good. Polite and friendly staff seem knowledgable about what's on offer and what to recommend. There are deals on on different days of the week too, so you can pick the best day for you if you're particularly after an 'Endless BBQ' or if Lobster is your thing. Of course, you can just order anything you want and not partake in any of the daily specials. There is a surprisingly good range of craft beers on offer which are detailed in the menu. If cocktails are your thing there is a good choice on offer and an enormous bar which is so big, it even has librarian style ladders for the staff to reach the bottles. There is an equally appealing downstairs too, and a view of the huge smoker in use as you head downstairs. The kitchen looks a very busy place! I've eaten some great ribs and pulled pork in Texas and Louisiana over the years and this place is the closest to those experiences, the food quality and tenderness of the meat is really very good. Just make sure you're hungry when you go in, the portions are a good size!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJellyDined on 20/11/2014Such a good place to eat, the good is excellent, the drinks are great and the staff are wonderful! Really couldn't fault our whole evening! Would highly recommend eating here if you love great food in a great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many coversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/11/2014The food is alright if you know what to order (don't get the burger), although they always seem to be behind with the service and the time it takes to bring food, especially at lunchtime. If they employed a few more staff or had a few less tables this place would be greatly improved.
- foodieEC4Dined on 19/11/2014Delicious BBQ in the heart of London. Loved it, the lobster was great and the BBQ Chicken and Pork ribs were just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Big EasyAjayDined on 19/11/2014It was my third time to the Big Easy and still manages to impress with the food, service and atmosphere. Really good evening out for a group of people and the food is always a good discussion point! The X-Rated milkshakes are awesome too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceribsmanDined on 18/11/2014The ambience, mnusic and decor were good. The food fantastic. However it was a bit too overpriced. What made that worse was the service. I booked a table for 830 but told they were busy so we had to drink at the bar. One drink at the bar is no problem but after that we wanted to eat. Half an hour went by and no one came to get us. I had to go and ask how much longer at that point they said they had a table. Once seated, the food took foreever to come. For an 830 booking we didn't have our mains until almost 10. Such a shame as that fact let the place downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food. Service was good overall.CindsVDined on 17/11/2014The food was good. Service was good, however we waited a while for our drinks with our main meal. It was only served after we were done eating. We were cramped into a very small space and almost sat on top of the diners at the table next to us. We had lobster, and it was a bit difficult arranging all the cutlery with the little space we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service and seatingLondonerDined on 17/11/2014We went on a Monday about 1:30. We were seated around the back where there were to many tables for the space. You had to squeeze yourself into your seat and the other table was not even an arms length away. Way to close to have a meal. The service was a bit hit and miss the waiters didn't seem to know what tables had what numbers and where food had to go. There was no sort of communication between them at all. I'll suggest if you were thinking of going request to be seated anywhere but that section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the Big Easy experience was a positive one8inchestallDined on 16/11/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he really enjoyed his meal. The food was great (I had the "giant shrimp", he had the bbq meat platter with ribs pulled pork and chicken). However service was generally slow but this may have been due to the fact that even on a Sunday evening it was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodLovefoodDined on 16/11/2014Food was very good, I had pulled pork sandwich and the others on the table had burgers. Although we were happy to pay the price we paid for our mains, we thought that a portion of voodoo wings which only had 2 whole wings( cut into 4 pieces) for 9 pounds was not a fair price. Drinks were also very expensive. Staff was very polite and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small EasyAmelia123Dined on 16/11/2014We were celebrating my husband's 40th and he fancied some ribs so we booked the Big Easy. It took forever for our drinks to arrive and when they did two were wrong. No apology was given just another long wait for replacement drinks to arrive. We ordered the big blowout platter to share. The ribs were dry. The chicken and pork were ok although for 5 people sharing there wasn't much pork. There's no way that the food had been slow cooked for as long as the menu suggested. Otherwise the meat on the ribs should have been succulent and falling off. The kids mac&cheese was dry and gritty. The kids ended up eating the chips which were good. With 20 minutes to go to our 2 hours being up they started to clear the table. There was no mention of dessert menus. We were then told that we needed to leave as the next diners had arrived. I then pointed out that the kids had ordered ice cream at the start of the evening and that this had not arrived nor did any dessert menus. When I had confirmed my booking the day before I had asked that they bring out a pudding with a candle on it for my husband to blow out but there was no sign of this. In the end the ice creams arrived but nothing else not even the dessert menus so we left and had desserts elsewhere.
- Cant go wrong at the Big EasySleighDined on 15/11/2014Great Lobster bake (again!). Great location, I really like the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVillandryVIPDined on 15/11/2014Food is amazing!! Quite pricey but it is worth it! Am looking to book up again very soon and will keep coming back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSam2smithDined on 15/11/2014Brilliant slow cooked BBQ. Great portion sizes with excellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great slow cooked BBQDidzDined on 15/11/2014Buzzy venue with a well stocked bar and a good variety of comfort food southern states style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foo d- don't buy the drinksesme1576Dined on 15/11/2014The food we had was great - ann the staff were friendly and helpful- however the beer was super expensive - drinkwater and 1/2 the cost of your bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trysdfsDined on 14/11/2014Venue is great with a really good atmosphere. Food is tasty but expensive. I chose the taste-o-Rama platter, I asked to swap the beans for chips and they said it wasn't possible. Considering you are playing nearly £20 for the main it's slightly annoying that you can't swap a side. Obviously a ploy to get you to spend more money. Aside from that it tasted great. Not sure I would chose it over Bodeans but it's definitely worth one visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingvaleriakiDined on 14/11/2014It's the second time I visit the Big Easy in Covent Garden and every time I am very happy with the overall experience. the food is delicious and the portions are very big. We didn't have alcohol but we spent 30£ each and we got out as full as possible. If I have to find a negative note, the waiter was a bit too present, I understand they are exrtremely busy on Fridays but feeling the clock ticking because you have 2h for the table is not pleasant. A part from that, thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, lively atmosphereCJW2014Dined on 13/11/2014The service was standout for me at The Big Easy, Covent Garden. The staff were friendly and we we're looked after well. The food was solid and came well presented. I would say that the menu prices aren't the cheapest as we spent £40 per head in a group without alcohol, however you just need to be aware of that. Food was finger-lickin' good though :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big easySallyobDined on 13/11/2014Great evening, however despite it being a Wednesday evening and having booked in advance we were asked to move to the bar to make space for new diners after just 1 1/2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good as always, service way below parMDBaileyDined on 12/11/2014Out with a business acquaintance for his first time at Big Easy. Food was very good as always, although slow from starters cleared to mains being served. Service was sorely lacking this visit, which took us by surprise as usually it's very commendable indeed. Lack of service required asking for a manager who intervened in a very polite, friendly, and professional way. Basically he took over for the rest of the visit which while taking him away from other responsibilities, definitely smoothed things over. Will definitely head back and consider this a one-off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, accommodating, fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/11/2014We rang ahead to let the restaurant know we were stuck at work late so may miss our table, they usually reserve 15mins for tardiness. When we arrived after the 15minute slot the waitress kindly found us a table, despite the restaurant being full to the brim! The service was on point, the food was generous and delicious. Overall, a fun and enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Eats at the Big EasyRichHDined on 11/11/2014The venue itself is has a wonderful bar with a plethora of whiskies and spirits, friendly staff, lives blues and enough room to be comfortable. The place is v busy so book early! Overall the food is good value, you can get a mountain of BBQ food (Ribs, Chicken, Pulled Pork and all the trimmings) or a lobster/crab sandiwch failry cheap, there are also daily specials, but I was not there for those! myself and my friend had the Kg (35oz) T-Bone steaks, and both were wonderful and very filling! Our one criticism is that once we had ordered, the waiter had to come back to ask us how we want the steaks cooked, again to tell us it may be 30 mins before we are served and then forgot our water for the table, overall it was great though!
- Great evening!AVIDDINERDined on 11/11/2014A group of four of us had dinner on a Tuesday evening. We booked beforehand which was a good idea as the place was packed. There was a buzzing atmosphere- with a live band playing but was at a good volume level as we were still able to chat away- which was fab! We opted for the daily special for the day which was limitless deep fried shrimps- was delicious! Overall, would recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Went there for lunch, good service, very welcoming reception, nice ambience. Music a bit loud, but it fits the American style. Food was good, but price for some of the items are a bit high. Like the hush puppies, almost 7 pounds for just some deep fried corn batter. On the other hand, the seafood dish was of good value. Would go back, but will avoid ordering some of the low value items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNiceDined on 10/11/2014Excellent choice of food. Good service, friendly staff. Good selection of drinks. Value for money lunch. We enjoyed it all thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a visitKav1Dined on 9/11/2014The food is amazing! Even when you think you're full, you want more! Staff also extremely friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food average servicejgjgjgjgDined on 9/11/2014service was slow. amazingly tasty food.service was slow. amazingly tasty food.service was slow. amazingly tasty food.service was slow. amazingly tasty food.Special Features:
- JohnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I ordered the taste o Rama, which was a selection of ribs, pulled pork, chicken, beans, coleslaw and barbecue sauce. It was all superb. The ribs were the best I have ever tasted. I went with my wife and two friends, they opted for lobster and burgers, again all fantastic. The staff were excellent and the atmosphere great. You must visit this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experiencePerolaDined on 8/11/2014The service and food was very good. I have always wanted to try lobster but didn't know how to. The waiter was very helpful and talked me through how to get the lobster meat out .Special Features:
- Just OK...KevalDined on 8/11/2014I was recomended this restaurant by friends and they thought it was great; however on my visit, the food was OK, the service was very slow and our food and drink order was messed up. I ordered a Diet Coke and got a Strawberry Dacory, the starter (Grand Appetizer For Two) was cold, the kitchen gave the server the wrong main, we ordered the Lobster Bake but got a Whole Loster, which confused all parties. To add insult we had to wait 20 mins for the bill, because of the number hicups I refused the to pay the 12.5% service charge and it took a further 10 mins for the new receipt to be printed and bought to our table. All in all... A MESS
- AMAZING FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Went for my boyfriends 31st birthday as a couple, amazing food and great service. Its a very loud venue with great atmosphere. bit on the £££ side but worth it for a special occassion.Special Features:
- MssADined on 7/11/2014Food was varied. Shrimps and squid was okay, didn't like the oily coating on them. Steak and burger was delicious and cooked well, chips average nothing special, too much dressing on blue cheese salad, lettuce was drench in the stuff. Mac and cheese - couldn't taste the cheese, dish was under seasoned.Special Features: