58 Mosley Street
Manchester, M2 3HZNeighbourhood:
VegetarianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistro1847.co.uk/
- Phone: 01612361811
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: 1200 - 2200 Sun: 1200 - 1800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Wendy Swetnam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bistro 1847
1847 is Manchester City Centres only Vegetarian Bistro & Bar. Open Monday to Saturday 1200 - 2200 & serving lunch & dinner from our a la carte menu plus Afternoon Tea Monday to Friday 1200 - 1700. We also open Sunday's 1200 - 1800 serving our a la carte menu. We also offer a fully stocked bar if you're just looking for a drink. Our Head Chef Wendy Swetnam previously worked at Vanilla Black, London & 'best restaurant in the world 2010/2011/2012 Noma in Copenhagen. Her menus are based around British classics and offer a wide choice for both a vegetarian & vegan diet. 1847 is positioned on the corner of Mosley St and Booth St.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro 1847 reviews from OpenTable diners
- Something unique in ManchesterLManchesterVIPDined on 2/7/2012Good food and very friendly chatty waiter, pleasant atmosphere. Definatly a favourite place to eat in Manchester. The vegetarian menu is diverse with tasty options for vegetarians and non vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable mealBeverleyDined on 30/6/2012I went to Bistro 1847 for a meal with a few friends for a meal, I am the only vegetarian of the group, we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal. They were in the process of getting a new wine list, so they didn't have the majority of wines on the list, but apart from that, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was lovely and the dessert was gorgeous. I would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodnotVegoLactoDined on 25/6/2012To start with, I'm not vegetarian, but the food is devilishly good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightShellDined on 23/6/2012Good customer service, menu limited but nice freshly prepared food. No specials or seasonal variations. The restaurant shuts early though,22.00hrs but didn't rush us out after we had eaten. Only one toilet for both sexes. But overall a good alternative to the usual restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suited variety of dietsMandrewDined on 20/6/2012As a family we all have, quite naturally, very different tastes. Two are quite carniverous, one vegetarian, two health conscious, one quite pernickity who struggles to be adventurous and generally opts for a plate of meat. All of us found options within the three courses and general concensus was that 1847 gave excellent value for money and was all enticingly presented. Service was unfortunately slow (we had to ask several times to have something to prop up a wobbly table for instance and ended up doing it ourselves, ask twice for water) but as we were in a party mood it was tolerated. We noted others came and went within the time we were there so they obviously got quicker service and perhaps it was because we were a party of 6...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatCumbriansDined on 20/6/2012Once more, Bistro 1847 was an absolute delight. The food was inventive and delicious, the service efficient and charming, and a trip to Manchester wouldn't be complete without a meal at our favourite vegetarian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely vegetarian or notbrrrrDined on 16/6/2012We took our cousin here who is Vegan and we all had a great meal - so good we included sweets which I can heartily recommend including the Gin and Tonic cake & the poached pear. The broadbean pie leek was delicious and appreciated by 2 diners and I loved the houllumi fish and chips was gorgeous. Go and try it for yourself - veggie or no - you will love it. Biggest complement from the Vegan amongst us - this tomato soup tastes like a garden!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday 16th JuneMeggy99Dined on 16/6/20123rd visit to 1847, and this was definitely the best visit to date. Food always very good on all visits but previously some of the waiting staff have been a bit hit and miss with their understanding of customer service and comfort. Staff on our most recent visit were excellent, very friendly and helpful and made it a thoroughly enjoyable evening for our group. Food was totally delicious, beautifully presented and the portion sizes are spot on. Will definitely return as it's so nice to be able to eat imaginative vegetarian food and not feel like an after thought to the menu (or a total nuisance!). Thanks for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyScottDined on 8/6/2012Attentive staff. Excellent food which is well cooked and very tasty. Even as someone who enjoys meat the food here is simply first class.Special Features:
- Excellent, however, .....JackDined on 4/6/2012The food at Bistro 1847 is really good bordering on outstanding. My only issue are the drinks. The wine list looked good, but other drinks suffered. We had a soft drink to start and then were unable to get a bottle of sparkling water. The soft drinks were nothing special carton juice, shweppes etc. Could do with some things like Fentimen's etc. Although I didn't have a good look, the shorts selection could perhaps do with a bit of work. Some nice brandy or scotch perhaps. Still a very nice evening though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this restaurant! ByPipjoDined on 4/6/2012I love this restaurant! By far the best veggie restaurant in Manchester. The menu gets changed regularly, the staff are great, portions are decent, lovely surroundings and such great value. What more could I ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegie food and great venue.VegieDined on 4/6/2012Really nice to have a vegie restaurant in the city centre. Good selection and variety of food. Good service. Decent affordable lunch offer also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly thereBookloverDined on 2/6/2012Interesting and good menu (no mushroom risotto thankfully) Tofu featured a bit too much for me, also thought the desserts could do with a revamp. Nice venue, great staff - really good, but just upping it's game a bit would make it an excellent choice, not just a good one.Special Features:
- Good valuePleasedofBlackburnDined on 2/6/2012Great vegetarian food with a good varied menu, will definitely be back.Special Features:
- At last a great Vegetarian dinerBarbaraCDined on 2/6/2012We popped into Bistro 1847 before going to the theatre so wanted a quick lunch. We opted for the Lunch Special - 1 main course + a glass of wine, beer or soft drink and all for a very reasonable £10 each. For a dedicated vegetarian, it was so refreshing to find a proper vegetarian restaurant with an excellent choice of options. Even my non-veggie companion was impressed! I will certainly recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meand2veg june1/2012meand2vegDined on 1/6/2012My wife and I booked to eat after a preview at the City Art Gallery. We were warmly welcomed and our seating requirements dealt with immediately. The service was friendly and efficient but not pushy. The choice of food was more interesting than is often the case in city centre restaurants and its quality and presentation very good. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a visit!sheridenDined on 27/5/2012This restaurant is perfect for anyone who wishes to eat delicious vegetarian food that is different from the usual lentil bakes and nut roasts served at most veggie restaurants. When my husband and I visited recently we tried a selection of starters, all of which were made using really unusual combinations of ingredients with amazing results. A particular favourite was the gin and tonic cake served with a cucumber and pepper sorbet! The decor of the restaurant is stylish and the service we received was excellent. We will certainly be returning to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- I've been to Bistro 1847 twice8amealDined on 26/5/2012I've been to Bistro 1847 twice now and both times have been really enjoyable. The food is really good - probably better than Greens is now (I think Greens used to be excellent but that's another review). What I also like about Bistro 1847 is that there is no loud music and you can have a conversation. The service was great, friendly but not pushy. I'll keep going here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally wonderful!CumbriansDined on 11/5/2012Once more, dining at Bistro 1847 was an absolute delight, and although we had two reservations on consecutive days we could have done with one more in order to sample all the delicious mains and puddings between us. We've already made another reservation to remedy this!Special Features:
- once again it was inventiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012once again it was inventive veggie food done well, so always on my shortlist even though I'm a meat eaterSpecial Features:
- Outstanding vegetarian food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2012Outstanding vegetarian food, best I've experienced in years. Fresh tastes, quality produce.Special Features:
- Main elements of dishes wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2012Main elements of dishes were very good, but for some reason nowhere near as much attention is given to other elements. I ordered the beer battered halloumi with chip stack and minted mushy peas, and my partner ordered the lancashire cheese soufflé with gratin dauphinois and winter veg. Halloumi and chips were great, but accompanied by the driest, plainest mushy peas I have eaten. Likewise, the soufflé was great, but accompanied by a tepid, soggy gratin dauphinois. Bizarre really how the chefs can get it so right, and so wrong at the same time. 3/5.
- A must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/4/2012Fantastic food on a great menu, will definitely be back again. Even if your not veggie it's worth a visit!!Special Features:
- Easily one of the best vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/4/2012Easily one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Europe.Special Features:
- Easily booked. Table in aWhiteknightDined on 21/4/2012Easily booked. Table in a good position. Efficient and pleasant service. Excellent food- plenty in each portion and reasonable choice. Catered for the vegans in our party. I would definitely recommend this restaurant- even for non- vegetarians(3 of them in our party)!Special Features:
- terrible food poor and underseaonedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/4/2012terrible food poor and underseaoned,they clearly planned closing early which made us feel rushed and when we asked for coffees where told the machine is not working,more like the staff werent
- a really great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/4/2012Hidden away on a quiet side street this is a little gem. A must for all veggies and vegans. The food was great, the service polite and very helpful. The atmosphere was relaxed, everyone chatting and eating. The menu was good, with a nice variety, bring along your meat eater friends and show them that there is more to veggie than nut roast. The donuts with white chocolate and raspberry sauce was particularly lovely.Special Features:
- Good for veggies and foodies alikeFirepufferDined on 14/4/2012We had 2 veggies and 2 carnivores in our party, but we all enjoyed the food. The service was very good and I loved the ambience; quite often a bistro doesn't make it, but this one does. A relaxed atmosphere which is borne out by spot on service and a genuine interest from staff to do a good job around. The food is well cooked and has interesting flavours, however for such a world class chef, the menu is limited (think, Greens as a comparison), so it wouldn't score higher for me unless we had more choice next time. However, we will go back and there was nothing not to like.Special Features:
- This is our second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/4/2012This is our second time at 1847 and it was even better than the last. We chose the £15 special offer (3 taster starters,a main course and a drink) and it's excellent value for money. The staff were very pleasant and accomodating. We had a lovely relaxed evening :-)Special Features:
- Great food and very good valueLManchesterVIPDined on 12/4/2012Great food and very good value and we'll certainly be going back. To be slightly picky - the staff should take a few lessons in serving wine (the bottle should be presented to the guest before opening at the table and then ask the guest if they wish to taste the wine before being poured out for all guests). Our bottle was brought to the table opened (!) and then poured out without allowing for tasting and not poured very well.
- went for the first time withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2012went for the first time with my daughter. We're both vegetarians, and its so good to be able to choose from a variety of food on the menu. Rather than a choice of one or two meals as in most other restaurants. the food we had was delicious, and at a good price too. Well done to the chef!
- The food was really creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012The food was really creative and had vegans, vegetarians and even the die hard meat-eaters in our group giving rave-reviews.Special Features:
- We have been here once beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012We have been here once before and thought it was great - it is always exciting to find a new vegetarian restaurant and actually have a choice on the menu. This time the service was really terrible (20 mins to be given a menu, over 30 mins before we got a drink) and actually the menu wasn't very exciting, quite bar-foody - sausages, haloumi/tofu served with chips but at bistro prices. Shame because this is in a great spot, near the Art Gallery.
- We ate early and service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2012We ate early and service was maybe a bit slow - but the food was great, wine was good and price was reasonable - I'm not a veggie (wife is) but I did not miss meat at all and we will be back !Special Features:
- Service was good althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2012Service was good although there was a feeling that the waitress was stressed.The starter, deep fried tofu with wasabi and soya sauce was very good, tasty and light.My main dish was leek and potato sausage with mash, reduced red wine sauce and seasonal veg. I found this dish too heavy and lacking in flavour! Quite disapointing, the sauce was not as expected and added little to the meal.The Malbec wine was good and a fair price.
- it wasn't full by any meansOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2012it wasn't full by any means and yet we waited over an hour for our starters. We were hungry and this was a bad start. The fact that one of our party was coeliac seemed to slow things down to a virtual standstill and the coffee machine broke. May be we just hit a bad day which is a real shame as good veggie restaurants are few and far between in Manchester
- Nice surroundings. PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2012Nice surroundings. Portions too small for the price paid.
- A great addition to ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/3/2012I'm not a vegetarian but enjoyed a great meal as much as my wife who is, all in all a great vegetarian restaurant that ticked all the boxes and I look forward to going back. A warm friendly atmosphere with well presented food and look forward to sampling some more of there offerings.Special Features:
- Comfy seat, great tofu dishes,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/3/2012Comfy seat, great tofu dishes, attentive service. Great early doors evening meal for the four of us. Would go again, and soon.Special Features:
- As always, delicious, imaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/3/2012As always, delicious, imaginative and good value food - the 'taster deal' is an excellent idea. Such a luxury for veggies to be able to choose from a whole menu, and many of my carnivorous friends love eating there too. It's become my preferred venue for work and social occasions.Special Features: