Bogayo Restaurant & Bar
320 Old Street
London, EC1V 9DRNeighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: £25 and under
Bogayo Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bogayo.com/
- Phone: 02070121226
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 11pm
Saturday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bogayo Restaurant & Bar
Hungry for Africa? Craving an exotic culinary experience? Bogayo restaurant in the City of London on Old Street is waiting to fulfil your desires. It may not quite be an African holiday, but Bogayo’s Moroccan/European menu, chill out lounge with a Moroccan vibe and dining room with North African flair will get you partway there without your having to board a plane. Bogayo channels the sunshine even when it’s three below. The comfortable dining room combines traditional Moroccan lanterns and soft furnishings with contemporary touches while the plush surroundings of the draped Moroccan tent will turn your cocktail hour into a royal experience. The menu features fusion Mediterranean, North African and European cuisine in dishes like kofta tagine, or you may choose to enjoy a tapas meal with friends. Bogayo’s fans love to finish any meal with a pot of tea served in glasses and a go at the shisha pipe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bogayo Restaurant & Bar - Best restaurants in Shoreditch ›
Bogayo Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since 21 May 2014
romance (38)outstanding value (34)good vegetarian options (32)group bookings (31)special occasions (30)fit for foodies (18)pre/post theatre (14)business meals (12)brunch (9)outdoor eating (6)sunday lunch (6)child friendly (4)disabled access (1)Show More
- Great place!EvaaDined on 27/8/2014We really enjoyed the place, food was lovely. Great service and great priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service.MissBoansiDined on 26/8/2014I am my girls came here to celebrate my best friends birthday. Upon arrival we were greeted with a smile, asked for the name in which he had booked under and shown to our table. Bogayo has a lovely; dim intimate setting, surrounded with many lit candles. We ate from the offer which includes two courses + a glass of wine/juice for 16.50. I however decided to go for a steak meal, which wasn’t included as part of the offer, but only cost £3 more. Our waiter was smiling throughout serving us. He even offered to put and light a candle on a slice of cake we had purchased from elsewhere, so that we could sing happy birthday to our friend. Upon leaving, he poured us a free set of “birthday shots”. I’d definitely recommend you to come here!Special Features:
- A JoyGrafterDined on 21/8/2014We ate at the restaurant late last week, my first visit. The venue is small but not overly noisy so good for any type of meeting. The first table we were given was a little uncomfortable (Table leg seemed to be in the way no matter how you sat) but the waiter seemed to notice and insisted we move to what was a much more comfortable table. Small menu. a good thing in my view and an interesting wine list (try the Morrocan red) not expensive and certainly good value for money.Special Features:
- Decent foodLondonDinerDined on 20/8/2014Food was decent; however, service was not the best eventhough the restaurant was not even half-full - we waited for a long time to order dessert after they dropped off the menus and almost skipped dessert and walked up to the front to request the check as the wait was so long. However, this was a mid-week meal so maybe they weren't expecting to be so 'busy' as they only had one server.
- Bogayo Restaurant & BarMarkDined on 20/8/2014We visited Bogayo on the evening of 20 August. Service was warm, friendly & efficient. Overall the food was tasty & well cooked, with agreed highlights being the tagines & creme brulee. The only small comments (& they are small) would be that the pigeon breast was slightly overcooked & the fig tart could have been larger. We will definitely visit again to try the steaks & venison (which are not included in the 50% off food deal)Special Features:
- Great foodDavidDined on 16/8/2014This is a small restaurant when busy it can get a little loud but you can't fault the service and food.Special Features:
- A great experienceLaurieDined on 16/8/2014We were a group booking of 8. Excellent value with the 50% off food deal. Very attentive service. Food was to a high standard and menu not too long. We had a lovely square table, perfect for a group booking. Relaxed ambience with Moroccan vibe. Overall a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bogayo Moroccan Restaurant & BarReviewer1VIPDined on 7/8/2014Bogayo Moroccan Restaurant & Bar, good service, food was ok, cocktails pretty goodSpecial Features:
- Authentic restaurant for ShoreditchMimiDined on 7/8/2014Service was slightly slow/ lacking but they seem a small team. Good for small groups of friends or a date as the service is slow enough to have decent conversation. However, the tables are squashed together so not great for privacy. Lovely decor and ambience, I found my eyes exploring the room much of the time. Starter of scallops was quite a bizarre flavour combination with smoky meat overpowering the delicacy of the seafood. But the seafood tagine with couscous made up for this - great colour, textures and flavour. Dined with a friend. We took advantage of the 50% off food offer, but there are certain dishes (lamb-based) that are excepted. Would return if using offer again.Special Features:
- Worth a Visit4ThePalateVIPDined on 17/7/2014Had a very good evening at Bogayo Restaurant. Was met with a warm, friendly greeting and given time to relax and soak in the place. The decor is impressive and you really do feel like you have been transported to Morocco. Used the 50% off deal which made a lot of difference as the menu prices were rather high. Starters was a gorgeously flavoursome Aubergine Caviar and a squid dish which was slightly plain. Chicken Couscous main was enjoyable but needed wetting a lot with the sauce that accompanied the seasonal vegetables. The Charmoula Seabass was more flavoursome with well chosen accompaniments. The service charge was quite high and they seemed to charge twice for the soft drinks I noticed afterwards. Be observant. Otherwise, very good!Special Features:
- Very good tagineTableForOnePleaseVIPDined on 16/7/2014Very good tagine served with a little bit of theatre!
- Great food and excellent service.KRSMouseDined on 10/7/2014We visitted Bogayo on a Thursday evening. The restaurant is small and intimate, and beautifully decorated. The staff are friendly and attentive. The menu had a good selection, and the portion sizes were very generous. We took advantage of the 50% off food voucher, which made it excellent value for money.Special Features:
- MrsWeasleyDined on 2/7/2014Excellent value. We had the deal of two courses for £16.50 which included large glass of wine. For this we were able to choose pretty well from the whole, extensive menu. Both of us enjoyed lovely lamb tagine, followed by fig tart or pistachio creme brulee. I would defintitely go again.Special Features:
- Nice place, average foodZanzulliDined on 16/6/2014We have been there with 50% discount on food. Small and nice place, music a bit too loud, friendly welcome. Moroccan food well presented, and well cooked especially lamb tagine. Poor fish cous cous, more vegetable than fish! However a good approach to Moroccan kitchenI would recommend this to a friend.
- Bogayo in HoxtonMopatsDined on 15/6/2014Lovely little haven. Good food. Well presented. Service with a smile. 50% off food makes it good value for money. Chicken Tagine is worth trying. Also the maze to share. Would visit again with friends.Special Features:
- Monday night moroccan mealdocksdinersDined on 2/6/2014Great Monday evening spent at Bogayo. We went to take advantage of the 50% off food offer, as a party of ten colleagues. Food was great. All dishes, starters, mains and puds were enjoyed. Welcome was warm. Service was attentive. Overall, a very enjoyable dining experience. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moo73Dined on 30/4/2014didn't really enjoy this restaurant, the food was very tasteless and looked/tasted like really cheap meat. didn't really enjoy it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/4/2014Took friends on the 50% off food offer and had a lovely evening. The restaurant was authentic and food delicious. Would definitely return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!JoJoDined on 19/4/2014A small but authentic restaurant with excellent staff and good food
- Mouldy olivesfoobarDined on 17/4/2014The olives we got served were moldy. The waiter didn't believe us at first and asked the chef who confirmed that they were moldy. To their credit they brought us some fresh unspoilt ones and didn't charge us for it. The rest of the food was very mediocre. I won't be going back.
- Delightful little placeLuciferDined on 15/4/2014I had previously visited Bogayo a few years ago and was not hugely impressed but this visit was excellent. Good variety of dishes, especially for my vegetarian companion. I had the scallops, which were on the small size but were delicious. The mixed grill was delightful and my companion enjoyed her cheese topped baked aubergine immensly. The additional chilli sauce was firey but a fab accompaniment. Would've been nice to have something cooler as well. Only drawback was the beer on tap. Not great. Service was attentive and we got everything quickly, including the bill. With the top table offer, it was a bargain. Highly recommend and I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/4/2014The food was absolutely incredible and such good value for money! The menu was varied as was the cocktail list! Our waiter was very friendly and talkative with us, answering all our questions. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Offer means excellent value!reviewbot1234Dined on 27/3/2014This is a perfectly good Moroccan restaurant, and with the half price offer it becomes excellent value. The starters were delicious, particularly the Halloumi, and the Sea Bass was great as well. The Tajine was fine, and there really wasn't anything to fault. If you can still get half price food then it's definitely worth popping in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banging BoyagoMiaMyaDined on 7/3/2014Brought a date here on a Saturday night - and was really impressed. The restaurant was a little quieter than I would have expected on a Saturday, but our waitress was really attentive and massively friendly - so I wasn't complaining. I had the Squid to start and the Chicken Cous Cous for main - both were exceptional. My date had Scallops to start and one of the Tagines for main, and he said they were great. Over all, had a great time, it's a lovely little restaurant which great ambience, fantastic service and delicious food. I'd definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceVeggieoptionpleaseDined on 14/2/2014I've eaten here twice, food has been good both times, not many veggie options though. Great service and good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a change in HoxtonMonk3yDined on 13/2/2014I normally get a burger from Hoxton Square and it was really nice to get something different. Good food and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely pre valentine's meal we hadMaMeDined on 13/2/2014My partner was pleasantly surprised and really liked the place. Great cocktails too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very welcomingfoodqueenDined on 8/2/2014Initial impressions are always at the forefront when rating my dining experiences and I was very pleased with the welcoming we received by this restaurant. We were running late (past the last reservation time) and although they weren't taking anymore bookings they accommodated us and allowed us to take our time even once the restaurant was empty. The food was very tasty and the waiter even allowed us to customize our dishes. I highly recommend the seafood hotpot, although it did need a little more sauce and perhaps a side dish to accompany it. Overall a lovely ambiance, great 40% off deal and I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- This was our first time toThai1Dined on 8/2/2014This was our first time to Bogayo. We were very pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is small and cosy with a lovely atmosphere. The staff were very attentive and the food very good. With the Top Table 50% discount was very good value. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- DecentfabfoodieDined on 6/2/2014Had I not have eaten at a similar restaurant I would have thought the food was good however I had the same dish at another Moroccan restaurent and it was outstanding. The lamb tagine was no where near the standard as souk medina in Covent garden. This was because the apricots and prunes did not taste as fresh and the lamb came on the shank but was tough in some places, great staff and nice interior just ok food in comparison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value with 50% off foodConnery23Dined on 25/1/2014Great value with 50% off food and small but varied menu - casual ambience and nice staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming and FriendlyMidatlanticmamaDined on 23/1/2014We went on a cold night and the welcome was friendly and the atmosphere is warm and cosy. The food was good with generous portions and very good value on the deal. Being interested in Morrocan food, I was disappointed that the ingrediants and spices in the food weren't that interesting. A good place to fill up with hardy stews!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "Special" made it SpecialPaulDined on 21/1/2014On the whole this was not a bad place to celebrate my nephew's 21st. There was a bit of a mix up over the special offer a they said it was not for tables over 6, we were7. It was advertised as 10 so the manager eventually decided to honour it. Downside- Margarita's were too much like syrup and with no kick!Special Features:
- Excellent evening.AnniePDined on 16/1/2014We went to Bogayo for a small treat. The restaurant was lively but we were able to talk easily which was perfect. The food was very good, starters were outstanding, and we all really enjoyed our main choices -vegetarian, meat and fish though the desserts were rather disappointing. Service was just right The whole meal for three, with wine and 3 courses came to about £70 with the top table 50% offer. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- “Rather Disappointing”simanwc1Dined on 14/1/2014After reading the reviews both good and bad decided to give this place a go as we fancied something different for a midweek meal. Don't be mislead by the website photos as its actually a pretty small tired looking venue we went mid week and found there to be little atmospher and only a handful of other diners we went for lamb and chicken tagine although my partners chicken tagine was ok my lamb was dry and chewy just like one of the reviews I'd read had described! I ate around it without making a fuss and mentioned it as positive criticism to our server when plates were collected he in turn mentioned to the chef who apparently tasted it and said it was fine. Ultimately the food was poor and the restaurant lacked atmosphere!
- Good food, great servicefreshfor88Dined on 11/1/2014Our table wasn't ready when we arrived so the manager kindly gave us 2 complimentary beers while we waited at the bar. Once seated, the service stayed above average while the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bogayo - always goodDawnDined on 11/1/2014This was a return visit to Bogayo and, as always, the food and service were great. They seem to have removed their 'outside' (but covered) area, I presume due to the recent bad weather. This has made made the restaurant a lot smaller and consequently much busier. However, this just added to the buzzy atmosphere. Would definitely recommend, particualrly the pigeon starter, which is my absolute favourite.Special Features:
- Bogayo serves varied qualityPeckhamPrincessDined on 10/1/2014Our visit to Bogayo was enjoyable, although the food quality varied from dish to dish. Both our starters were delicious - charmoula stuffed squid and merguez sausages with feta - very tasty and fresh. Unfortunately, though, our main courses were slightly less impressive. The quail tagine was not available, so I changed my order to seafood tagine. The seafood was rather sparse for the £13.25 price and required a little more fish to make it enjoyable. My dining partner had lamb tagine, which was largely a lamb shank in sauce...not much else. It could have benefitted from more bulk, from fruit, onions and almonds. It was tasty, but just a little thin. The service and ambience were both good and overall we enjoyed the evening and would return.Special Features:
- Excellent ValueZJacksonDined on 9/1/2014Great little restaurant located a few minutes away from Old Street. Sadly restaurant has had to downsize recently & it squeezes tables in quite tightly. We had the Chicken pasties and Squid/prawn concoction for starters. Latter was not great, and very different to the description! Chicken pasties were tasty. For main course we had the Chicken and olive based tagine, and one of the fishes. Food was better than average. We didn't have any alcohol, and total bill with service included and discount applied was about £28.00. I am no aware how the service charge is calculated, I noticed a random amount added to our bill. Food great for the price, efficient service. Best thing about this restaurant are the amazing aromas and dim romantic lighting.Special Features:
- Great food, authentic atmospheredooglaasDined on 7/12/2013Def order the mezze to start =] The chicken couscous and lamb tagine were tasty as well! We were a res of 2 and I think 4 people is probably the largest reservation this little spot could comfortably handle