Brigade Bar & Bistro
139 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2HZNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Brigade Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebrigade.co.uk/
- Phone: 08443461225
- Hours of Operation:
Brigade is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Monday – Friday
Open from 7:30am – Late
Open from 5:00pm – Late
Closed for Bank Holidays
Food is served between the following hours:
Breakfast from 7:30am
Lunch 12:00 – 17:00
Dinner 17:00 – 22:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Simon Boyle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Public Transit: By Tube:
The nearest tube station is London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines). Exit station via the Tooley Street exit, turn right and continue down Tooley Street for approximately 700 metres. Brigade will be on your left hand side.
By River boat:
It’s easy to reach us by Clipper river boat; with the nearest stop at London Bridge
- Parking: Public Car Park
- Parking Details: By car:
The nearest car park is the NCP at the junction of Snowsfields and Kipling Street nearby (approximately 600 metres).
A word from Brigade Bar & Bistro
The Brigade Bar and Restaurant is setting the London restaurant scene on fire. Located in the old fire station, built following 1861’s famous Tooley Street Fire and leading to the creation of the first London fire brigades, The Brigade Bar and Restaurant is concerned not just with eating but with bringing people together to build a community enjoying new experiences together. While The Brigade, along with the Beyond Food Foundation, offers catering apprenticeships to the vulnerable, cookery courses, cookery schools for the keen and private dining for the VIP-minded, the centre of this fantastic venue is definitely the bar and restaurant. A sensory experience, guests are met with the aromas of tempting fresh cooking on arrival, the gentle buzz of conversation and attractive, modern surroundings creating a relaxed feel. Combining sophistication and rusticity, The Brigade's menu focuses on good produce and traditional British cookery, a handful of classics and sharers adding to the mix.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Brigade Bar & Bistro - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Brigade Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since 6 May 2014
business meals (94)fit for foodies (75)special occasions (57)group bookings (57)pre/post theatre (38)outstanding value (33)brunch (25)romance (24)good vegetarian options (24)sunday lunch (19)disabled access (14)child friendly (11)afternoon tea (5)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- DisappointingKisintowDined on 29/8/2014You access this restaurant through a very busy bar which is clearly visible and audible from the restaurant. None of the clientele made way and the staff placed us very close to the bar. Access to the toilets are through the bar. We didn't stay as it was obviously not going to be a pleasant dining experience. It is a shame as the menu looked promising.
- LIVELY PLACERickyDined on 29/8/2014Had lunch here. Impressed with the menu - had real decisions to make as there were so many interesting combinations of food. Very lively atmosphere - staff young and very attentive. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a perfect place for a birthday!akitchDined on 20/8/2014We visited Brigade on my 30th birthday. I booked ahead as we were travelling from abroad and I couldn't have made a better choice. The food was outstanding! Keep up the excellent work.Special Features:
- interesting foodzimstockDined on 19/8/2014It fit what I needed for a business lunch. Food was well presented an very good. Decor is very modern and a bit cold for my taste but that is the norm for this sort of place. Overall I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSarahDined on 13/8/2014First visit to Brigade and I was impressed. Food was very good, and we were sat at the counter so could see everything being served up - there were plenty of other dishes I am now looking forward to trying on future visits. Service was very good, with the chef and manager both checking with us to see how we were enjoying our meal. The opentable deal made it excellent value but I'd be happy to go back and pay full price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Specialfrank4774Dined on 9/8/2014An impromptu Saturday evening dinner with my wife at Brigade was made all the better by Brigade's usual excellent food and service, aided by the OpenTable dining offer of 'buy one course, get second one free'. My seafood starter topped with tasty crab was great, my wife's scallops too. She had Shepherds Pie for a main, while I enjoyed a beautifully cooked and tasty piece of tuna with my Salad Niçoise. We both like Brigade, having dined there a couple of times before, and look forward to doing so again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service a bit pushyveggiefanDined on 8/8/2014We had a 3 course meal, every one of the courses was really good - especially the orange and treacle tart and the ice cream! The wine list was arranged in an unusual way - not lowest price first as you would expect. The first on the list was a £34 Sauvignon blanc but further down there was a French Sauvignon blanc at £19 and a South African Chenin Sav Blanc at £21. The waitress was very quick to recommend the £34 bottle which, to anyone who hadn't already scanned the list, would have appeared to be the least expensive. Clever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forensically examine the billDanInWatfordDined on 8/8/2014the menu price is doubled to allow an attention grabbing 2 for 1 'deal' to be offered. But you have to check your bill and be assertive to ensure it is applied fairly. The 'large' carpaccio was tasteless and small. Scoth eggs were actually one small scotch egg (menu typo?). Portion sizes generally mean. Fairly noisy. Its corporate sterility is surprising given the social enterprise it purports to be.
- DisappointedTheatregoer2014Dined on 6/8/2014We ate here before the theatre mid-week. On the plus side, they served us quite quickly. The people who ordered burgers were happy with their food. I ordered a "salmon gateaux" from the specials section on the menu. Unfortunately this turned out to be just many slices of smoked salmon on Bellini bases stacked up. The poached eggs were over cooked and there was no sauce so it was extremely dry. I would normally have sent it back but we didn't have time. Other people in the group were also disappointed with their food. It's a shame because it could have been great but we left thinking we'd have been better off in pizza express.
- Foodie2Dined on 2/8/2014We love the restaurant. The food is always good and the menu changes regularly. The staff are always friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & fantastic social valueLopenDined on 19/7/2014I took my husband there last Saturday for his birthday. I requested a bottle of prosecco ready for our arrival and there it was! Nice surprise and no hassle! The chef showed us round the upstairs and told us that they have apprentices at risk of homelessness working there. What a great cause! The apprentices have then gone to work at other great reataurants so the project works! They even have us a pudding for his birthday with a candle, even though we were too full for dessert! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value dinner at BrigademangetoutDined on 9/7/2014Five of us met for a mid-week birthday dinner at Brigade on Tooley Street. Great value as we got a 2 for 1 meal offer. Buzzy sort of place, pleasant service and OK food.Special Features:
- Generous portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/6/2014Food was beautifully presented and really tasty. But what stood out was the incredibly generous portions. We went on a open table deal so this represented great value for money'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bolt Hole in London BridgeKaz64Dined on 27/6/2014Went here for dinner on a Friday evening. The bar area was very busy as was the paved area outside, so getting into the restaurant was a bit of a squeeze. However, once inside the eating area was quieter and we managed to grab a table by the window. The advantage of this restaurant is that you can see your meals being cooked and prepared. We took up the 33% off offer and could order anything from the menu and the specials board. We both had starters, mains, side order, shared dessert and a bottle of wine and the bill came to £66! Meals were lovely - well cooked and presented well. Serving staff attentive. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!FlojoDined on 23/6/2014I was extremely impressed with this restaurant. I booked through Opentable and mentioned it was a 60th birthday and would they make a cake. I received a call from the restaurant the next day to arrange the cake at a very reasonable price. We were a group of 6, when we arrived we had a lovely round table in the middle of the restaurant. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our food was delicious, very well presented and good value for money. The birthday cake was amazing - looked good, tasted divine and large enough for 12 people so the staff packaged it up for us to take home. All in all a wonderful experience. I would recommend eating here.Special Features:
- would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/6/2014dinner with friends- good menu choices; unusual combinations that worked, good food. Seemed to only be one waitress so service was slow. Good concept I'd go againSpecial Features:
- Don't forget the discount!PrinceZogDined on 21/6/2014We visited the Shard earlier and booked a table for 7pm. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were shown to a cosy side room (looked like the old watchroom) which was a bonus. Service was prompt and efficient and the food was very good. The only downside was that, although a discount was clearly advertised and prominently displayed (a third off all food), the initial bill did not have the discount applied - I had to ask but for it. This shouldn't be necessary and I wonder how many people miss out on the offer by this "over-sight"?
- Great for a celebration, BUT...ChairmanJROVIPDined on 19/6/2014We enjoyed a fun (and raucous) evening at Brigade last night. We were given the private dining room (which was perfect for our party), and the staff brought over a complimentary chocolate Birthday cake with candle for our Birthday girl (which was v much appreciated). The service was good, and not rushed, - indeed, we had the private room all evening until we staggered home just before midnight. My one complaint was that the OpenTable deal (of 33% off all food), which also happened to be the deal for all diners in June (regardless of whether booking through OpenTable) was "forgotten" when calculating our bill. I had to complain to get the bill re-done, with the discount included.Special Features:
- juanjoDined on 19/6/2014Our group - 5 german couples - was received very warmly, they had reserved us a seperate dining room (very stilish, very romantically). All the meals are served very quickly and the taste - perfect, a dream...Special Features:
- gastronaut31Dined on 17/6/2014Good food served promptly and nice staff. All in all a very nice place to go for a lunch , especially if you do not like waiting too long.. Our only quibble is that we forgot to mention that we had booked the top table offer of 30% off, and , consequently paid in full, but it was still good value and would certainly recommend this restaurant and will go again. A wee bit worried that the chips still had their skin on !!Special Features:
- Amazing birthday celebration21stDined on 13/6/2014The good was outstanding, the service was brilliant and very welcoming. Made a birthday celebration very special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRedzhairDined on 12/6/2014Lovely service and good food - use this place a lot for business lunches - very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014My daughter and I had a fabulous meal for her 21st birthday . The food was amazing , and the staff made sure it was a night to remember . It was the perfect end to our amazing day out in London. Thank you .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouskaybeDined on 2/6/2014Food was delicious - I had the Mutton Shepherds Pie with Lavendar Mash. Sounds a bit strange but was absolutely divine! And the ice-cream (which is a bit of a speciality) is to die for. Service good too.Special Features:
- SplendiferouslyDined on 30/5/2014The place looks really inviting and the staff was very friendly. We had Burgers and Fish and Chips which were really well done. The price was a bit on the high side but ok with the discount voucher. It is a nice place to meet friends in a nice modern atmosphere!
- KateluvmyfoodDined on 29/5/2014Great venue for a drink after work or a special dinner. Atmosphere was vibrant, lots of people at the bar and dining in the restaurant. The wine list was good with reasonably priced through to expensive. The waiting staff were excellent, remembering our order without writing it down is always impressive. Food was delicious, well balanced and not too filling. Great evening out especially on the OpenTable offer.Special Features:
- No fire burning in this restauranttuxhouseVIPDined on 28/5/2014More of a bar than a restaurant and suffers from the associated noise as a result. Good place to take work colleagues for a mealSpecial Features:
- First visit, will be going backYvonneBDined on 24/5/2014We were a little unsure when we booked, our feelings changed the minute we walked through the door, we were met by a lovey warm welcome. We were a little early, the waitress in the bar area asked if we would prefer to be sat at our table or enjoy a drink in the bar area, we enjoyed a relaxed drink in the bar. Nice not to be rushed. The bistro is stylish, a real buzz to the atmosphere. An open kitchen adds to the atmosphere. Our waitress was fantastic, attentive but not overly so, I asked about the beetroot cured salmon, for a starter, not sure about the beetroot, she promptly fetched me a sample to try, it was oh so good. the food was excellent We could honestly not fault anything. Was even better with a 33% discount. Fantastic. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Brigade BistroRichardDined on 19/5/2014This is a good, solid Bistro with helpful, young staff in what was a Fire Station on Tooley Street close to City Hall and not too far from London Bridge. Good food, though slightly overpriced. The on-line booking offer of 33% off food made it well worth the visit.Special Features:
- What great serviceHAYWARSDined on 17/5/2014The staff were so attentive, they let my son watch them at the bar preparing food and ending up giving him a tour of the kitchen.. what a great experience for himSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable First VisitSampsoniteDined on 9/5/2014Intrigued by the venue, my wife and I enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere on a Friday night for dinner. The food was both good quality and good value.Special Features:
- DisappointingCessDined on 8/5/2014The lamb was outstanding but the rest average and the sides were cold.Special Features:
- An excellent find!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/5/2014The lamb was the best we have ever tasted, the Scotch Egg was amazing and I still don't know how they did it, and all staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul'sCoPaulsCoDined on 3/5/2014A very pleasant evening and good value with the 33% special offer. Service was a bit erratic but the waitress very friendly. Overall very enjoyable and good food well presented, all 4 of us enjoyed their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...save for the characterPariVIPDined on 3/5/2014Can't fault the food or the service. Pretty innovative fare and loved their local community initiatives through food. The only moss is the lack of character. Wish they had retained some charms of the 'eponymously' titled fire brigade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food let down by serviceWilshDined on 30/4/2014I can't fault the food at all but very disappointed with the service. It's not often service bothers me but we had to ask after 10-15mins for a wine list, then had to ask again to order drinks, then had to ask to order starters. One didn't arrive so we had to ask for that. The wait for the main was also quite long. The last time that we went we were seated at a table and then told that actually the kitchen was closed. I paid £120 inc service and two bottles of wine. I left my feedback form We were there for a friends 30th meal so it wasn't the time to make a fuss. Sorry it's a bad review but I wasn't impressed at all with your staff. The food on the other hand was fantastic. Beautiful steak and lovely sides!!Special Features:
- Great serviceluvlondonfoodDined on 26/4/2014The one thing that made this place stand out was the service all the staff were friendly efficient and attentive. The food was very good though we did think a little over priced. This was our 3rd visit and would still returnSpecial Features:
- Someone ring the fire alarm, pleasebrucieVIPDined on 25/4/2014Instead of spending our usual Friday evening in Covent Garden or Leicester Sq. we decided to make a first visit to Brigade Bar & Bistro on Tooley Street. To gain access to the restaurant you must make your way through the bar area which requires you to push and shove through the throngs of young people who have little conception of the phrase "excuse me". The restaurant itself is modern, with little evidence of memorabilia connecting it with the old fire station.The food was very good although somewhat expensive without the TT deal of '2 for 1'. Service also was of a high standard. However, the place was just too noisy. The proprietor should decide whether he wants to run a trendy bar or a restaurant. Trying to do both didn't work for us.Special Features:
- Evening mealLuv2munchDined on 19/4/2014After visiting the Shard we enjoyed a pleasant meal at the Brigade just five minutes walk away. Good food, great service, making a very nice finish to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationFriarTuckDined on 18/4/2014We (party of 4) arrived at about 5.45 for a meal after visiting the Shard for my wife's birthday. The place lacked a bit of warmth as there were only a couple of other diners present, although the staff were very welcoming. The waitress changed a bottle of wine that I had ordered wrongly with no quibbling. We all had the fish and chips which I thought were only average, the fish was seemed a bit tasteless and the chips were overdone, but nicely presented. The service was good (not too keen on service charge included in bill) and the waitress was friendly. The bill was quite high considering we only had mains and coffees and we had the 2 for 1 offer. The birthday champagne we were given (gratis) was a very welcome surprise, thank you!Special Features: