Brigade Bar & Bistro
139 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2HZNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Brigade Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebrigade.co.uk/
- Phone: 0844 346 1225
- Hours of Operation:
Brigade is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Monday – Friday
Open from 7:30am – Late
Open from 5:00pm – Late
Closed for Bank Holidays
Food is served between the following hours:
Breakfast from 7:30am
Lunch 12:00 – 17:00
Dinner 17:00 – 22:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Simon Boyle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Public Transit: By Tube:
The nearest tube station is London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines). Exit station via the Tooley Street exit, turn right and continue down Tooley Street for approximately 700 metres. Brigade will be on your left hand side.
By River boat:
It’s easy to reach us by Clipper river boat; with the nearest stop at London Bridge
- Parking: Public Car Park
- Parking Details: By car:
The nearest car park is the NCP at the junction of Snowsfields and Kipling Street nearby (approximately 600 metres).
A word from Brigade Bar & Bistro
The Brigade Bar and Restaurant is setting the London restaurant scene on fire. Located in the old fire station, built following 1861’s famous Tooley Street Fire and leading to the creation of the first London fire brigades, The Brigade Bar and Restaurant is concerned not just with eating but with bringing people together to build a community enjoying new experiences together. While The Brigade, along with the Beyond Food Foundation, offers catering apprenticeships to the vulnerable, cookery courses, cookery schools for the keen and private dining for the VIP-minded, the centre of this fantastic venue is definitely the bar and restaurant. A sensory experience, guests are met with the aromas of tempting fresh cooking on arrival, the gentle buzz of conversation and attractive, modern surroundings creating a relaxed feel. Combining sophistication and rusticity, The Brigade's menu focuses on good produce and traditional British cookery, a handful of classics and sharers adding to the mix.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Brigade Bar & Bistro - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Brigade Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since 24 November 2013
business meals (75)fit for foodies (64)special occasions (53)group bookings (47)pre/post theatre (36)outstanding value (28)brunch (24)romance (21)sunday lunch (19)good vegetarian options (18)disabled access (10)child friendly (9)afternoon tea (3)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- DisappointedMameatsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Food portion very meagre, fish was smallest portion ever seen, chips were uneven sizes so some overlooked, some raw and all greasy. Bread good but interesting flavours. Shame as wanted to like it. I accept the concept of helping the homeless etc but training needs to deliver acceptable results particularly where prices on par with competition.
- ExcellentPhilVIPDined on 3/11/2014Excellent for a business dinner. Party of eight, very favourable comments about the (new) menu, food and service. Well done again, Brigade.
- Closed!JCJPJFDined on 25/10/2014Made reservation and made the effort to go there with my family and restaurant was closer.
- Very HappyBrigadoonDined on 24/10/2014We ate early. They had the usual background music on when we arrived but sensibly turned it down as it got busier and noise levels increased so we didn't have to compete with it when we were talking. Always a bonus in a busy restaurant these days. The staff were attentive but never in the way. The food was delicious. We had the Risotto, very creamy and lots of it and Fish & Chips and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite pricey but with the special 2 for 1 it made it an affordable meal including wine. Will definitely go again. PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrigadekevinoVIPDined on 23/10/2014You enter through a very noisy bar and then the entrance/reception area of the restaurant is not very well defined and so we were left standing around waiting to be acknowledged by someone. We refused a table near the open boundary between bar and restaurant as the noise was intolerable and we wouldn't have been able to hold a conversation but the alternative we were offered (in a small side room) was perfect. Service was charming and the food was delicious. It's just a pity they can't do something about the horrible noisy bar which threatens to overwhelm and spoil the dining experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodlive2eatVIPDined on 20/10/2014Enjoyed yet another meal here. Well presented food and full of flavour. A little slow with typing up water for us (maybe because we didn't get any other drinks) but otherwise prompt service for ordering and food arrived with little waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 16/10/2014Very accommodating, great food and made my 30th birthday special with a free glass of prosecco for all guests.Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphere, food and wineAvvoDined on 16/10/2014Great restaurant/bistro, lovely food and wine, even better for the "sustainable" followers out there as restaurant is operated in conjunction with the Beyond Food Foundation. "Beyond Food Foundation works with people who have been at risk of or experienced homelessness to motivate and inspire them to gain meaningful employment."Special Features:
- Great food in central locationhccsDined on 8/10/2014A bustling lively place, popular with a 30+ post-office crowd. Food was universally delicious & although I thought the portions were a little small my friend was very full after the 2 courses. I highly recommend the scallops with beetroot risotto - scallops melted & risotto was perfectly cooked. The Crisp Potato Rösti with Avocado & Poached Egg was very good but not as substantial as I'd expect from a main course, veggie or not, & a little steep at £15. Service was attentive and friendly although the first bill brought included a bottle of water we hadn't ordered (or drunk) a glass of wine my friend had already paid for at the bar, and didn't account for the 2for1 offer we'd already mentioned at the start of the meal. I would return!Special Features:
- Satisfying, tasty foodchucklingboyDined on 6/10/2014BB&B was a very pleasant meal - some interesting mains to go with some traditional fare... I had a very interesting and well presented main course (after an excellent scotch egg starter) - cooked by one of the trainees - of a platted sea bream with a Mediterranean sauce. It was beautifully cooked but tiny (one small fillet, cut in half and platted; especially compared to the huge hearty bowl of sausage and mash that my fellow diner had). THere's something for everyone on the menu, it's a nice plane and the service is attentive (too much so at times)... but probably not a place ill look out for unless the localality is exceptionally handy again
- Tasty food, excellent serviceflaubertDined on 4/10/2014My friend and I really enjoyed eating here. Although they didn't have our booking from opentable on their system, when I showed them the email confirmation, they honoured the 2-for-1 deal I had booked through it. The service was excellent and we liked the ambience. We went quite early and can imagine it is probably quite buzzing at normal meal times. The food was really good - an interesting twist on some usuals e.g. the burger I had was yummy and a bit different. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- BrigadeStevieVIPDined on 2/10/2014First time and enjoyable. Service and ambience very good as was my starter but let down by my main course,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, we'll be back.robsDined on 26/9/2014Fantastic service and great food. The chicken sandwich is unbelieavably tasty! I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service!Nics2000Dined on 19/9/2014I chose Brigade Bar and Bistro for a trip into London for my husband's 40th Birthday. Staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome - we were given a complimentary glass of bubbly which was a really nice touch. Food was great, nice sized portions, my husband (who has a big appetite) ordered a few sides with his which filled him up nicely. Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCDFoodDined on 19/9/2014Unfortunately our experience was below average. Dishes weren't cheap but were covered in mayonnaise sauces so you lost any flavour in the ingredients. Staff were sweet but the booking system lost our reservation and they were clueless when asked about dishes. They also had no idea how meat dishes were cooked when serving them I.e. They were not told which were rare, medium e.t.cSpecial Features:
- CharlieDined on 15/9/2014Good food. Excellent service and good value when using Opentable Special offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Back!!!DrZapDined on 10/9/2014Excellent food, Excellent service, Excellent environment. Nothing more to say!Special Features:
- PickyeaterVIPDined on 2/9/2014Friendly service, good variety on the menu. I've visited Brigade on a number of occasions previously, and it's great to see that it's still going strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaves you wanting more...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014We did enjoy the food at Brigade Bar & Bistro but the starter and main courses are very small and don't include sides so expect an expensive meal that will leave you wanting more. My starter (£8.95) was described on the menu as 'Grilled oak smoked Cornish sardine fillets' but this was very misleading as only one sardine fillet was served! Another starter of 'Apprentice Scallops of the Week' at £11.95, consisted of 3 of the tiniest scallops I've ever seen, costing roughly £4 per scallop! My husband's £23.95 10Oz rib-eye steak didn't include chips so add another £6.25 for chips and a veg! What a shame as I love the fact that there is a cookery school on site that gives you the opportunity to taste new upcoming student chefs.Special Features:
- Super mealPanda50Dined on 30/8/2014Cristina served us, and she is lovely. Two of us had the lamb.. delicious, and it did need the couple of side dishes we ordered. The chaps had fish and chips and the chips were served in mini wire baskets, a great idea. We did remark that our plates could have been hotter, and were told that because they had only just opened the plate warmer had only just been turned on, and the chips were pre salted, which was too much salt for my husband and we mentioned this. Having said that the food was wonderful and the chocolate brownie and raspberry dessert was delicious. We had a lovely bottle of wine, and the bill reflected the 2 for 1 offer. It was great food and very good value.Special Features:
- DisappointingKisintowDined on 29/8/2014You access this restaurant through a very busy bar which is clearly visible and audible from the restaurant. None of the clientele made way and the staff placed us very close to the bar. Access to the toilets are through the bar. We didn't stay as it was obviously not going to be a pleasant dining experience. It is a shame as the menu looked promising.
- LIVELY PLACERickyDined on 29/8/2014Had lunch here. Impressed with the menu - had real decisions to make as there were so many interesting combinations of food. Very lively atmosphere - staff young and very attentive. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a perfect place for a birthday!akitchDined on 20/8/2014We visited Brigade on my 30th birthday. I booked ahead as we were travelling from abroad and I couldn't have made a better choice. The food was outstanding! Keep up the excellent work.Special Features:
- interesting foodzimstockVIPDined on 19/8/2014It fit what I needed for a business lunch. Food was well presented an very good. Decor is very modern and a bit cold for my taste but that is the norm for this sort of place. Overall I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSarahDined on 13/8/2014First visit to Brigade and I was impressed. Food was very good, and we were sat at the counter so could see everything being served up - there were plenty of other dishes I am now looking forward to trying on future visits. Service was very good, with the chef and manager both checking with us to see how we were enjoying our meal. The opentable deal made it excellent value but I'd be happy to go back and pay full price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Specialfrank4774Dined on 9/8/2014An impromptu Saturday evening dinner with my wife at Brigade was made all the better by Brigade's usual excellent food and service, aided by the OpenTable dining offer of 'buy one course, get second one free'. My seafood starter topped with tasty crab was great, my wife's scallops too. She had Shepherds Pie for a main, while I enjoyed a beautifully cooked and tasty piece of tuna with my Salad Niçoise. We both like Brigade, having dined there a couple of times before, and look forward to doing so again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrigadeTammyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Brigade is a buzzy restaurant with really fantastic food served from an open plan kitchen. One of my favorite places to eat in London. If you haven't been, go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service a bit pushyveggiefanDined on 8/8/2014We had a 3 course meal, every one of the courses was really good - especially the orange and treacle tart and the ice cream! The wine list was arranged in an unusual way - not lowest price first as you would expect. The first on the list was a £34 Sauvignon blanc but further down there was a French Sauvignon blanc at £19 and a South African Chenin Sav Blanc at £21. The waitress was very quick to recommend the £34 bottle which, to anyone who hadn't already scanned the list, would have appeared to be the least expensive. Clever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forensically examine the billDanInWatfordDined on 8/8/2014the menu price is doubled to allow an attention grabbing 2 for 1 'deal' to be offered. But you have to check your bill and be assertive to ensure it is applied fairly. The 'large' carpaccio was tasteless and small. Scoth eggs were actually one small scotch egg (menu typo?). Portion sizes generally mean. Fairly noisy. Its corporate sterility is surprising given the social enterprise it purports to be.
- DisappointedTheatregoer2014Dined on 6/8/2014We ate here before the theatre mid-week. On the plus side, they served us quite quickly. The people who ordered burgers were happy with their food. I ordered a "salmon gateaux" from the specials section on the menu. Unfortunately this turned out to be just many slices of smoked salmon on Bellini bases stacked up. The poached eggs were over cooked and there was no sauce so it was extremely dry. I would normally have sent it back but we didn't have time. Other people in the group were also disappointed with their food. It's a shame because it could have been great but we left thinking we'd have been better off in pizza express.
- Foodie2Dined on 2/8/2014We love the restaurant. The food is always good and the menu changes regularly. The staff are always friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & fantastic social valueLopenDined on 19/7/2014I took my husband there last Saturday for his birthday. I requested a bottle of prosecco ready for our arrival and there it was! Nice surprise and no hassle! The chef showed us round the upstairs and told us that they have apprentices at risk of homelessness working there. What a great cause! The apprentices have then gone to work at other great reataurants so the project works! They even have us a pudding for his birthday with a candle, even though we were too full for dessert! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to goDanbVIPDined on 18/7/2014I have been to Brigade a few times and each time I am amazed at how good the food is and never understand why it isn't busier. The service is great, food is well prepared and great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value dinner at BrigademangetoutDined on 9/7/2014Five of us met for a mid-week birthday dinner at Brigade on Tooley Street. Great value as we got a 2 for 1 meal offer. Buzzy sort of place, pleasant service and OK food.Special Features:
- Generous portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/6/2014Food was beautifully presented and really tasty. But what stood out was the incredibly generous portions. We went on a open table deal so this represented great value for money'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bolt Hole in London BridgeKaz64Dined on 27/6/2014Went here for dinner on a Friday evening. The bar area was very busy as was the paved area outside, so getting into the restaurant was a bit of a squeeze. However, once inside the eating area was quieter and we managed to grab a table by the window. The advantage of this restaurant is that you can see your meals being cooked and prepared. We took up the 33% off offer and could order anything from the menu and the specials board. We both had starters, mains, side order, shared dessert and a bottle of wine and the bill came to £66! Meals were lovely - well cooked and presented well. Serving staff attentive. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!FlojoDined on 23/6/2014I was extremely impressed with this restaurant. I booked through Opentable and mentioned it was a 60th birthday and would they make a cake. I received a call from the restaurant the next day to arrange the cake at a very reasonable price. We were a group of 6, when we arrived we had a lovely round table in the middle of the restaurant. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our food was delicious, very well presented and good value for money. The birthday cake was amazing - looked good, tasted divine and large enough for 12 people so the staff packaged it up for us to take home. All in all a wonderful experience. I would recommend eating here.Special Features:
- would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/6/2014dinner with friends- good menu choices; unusual combinations that worked, good food. Seemed to only be one waitress so service was slow. Good concept I'd go againSpecial Features:
- Don't forget the discount!PrinceZogDined on 21/6/2014We visited the Shard earlier and booked a table for 7pm. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were shown to a cosy side room (looked like the old watchroom) which was a bonus. Service was prompt and efficient and the food was very good. The only downside was that, although a discount was clearly advertised and prominently displayed (a third off all food), the initial bill did not have the discount applied - I had to ask but for it. This shouldn't be necessary and I wonder how many people miss out on the offer by this "over-sight"?
- Great for a celebration, BUT...ChairmanJROVIPDined on 19/6/2014We enjoyed a fun (and raucous) evening at Brigade last night. We were given the private dining room (which was perfect for our party), and the staff brought over a complimentary chocolate Birthday cake with candle for our Birthday girl (which was v much appreciated). The service was good, and not rushed, - indeed, we had the private room all evening until we staggered home just before midnight. My one complaint was that the OpenTable deal (of 33% off all food), which also happened to be the deal for all diners in June (regardless of whether booking through OpenTable) was "forgotten" when calculating our bill. I had to complain to get the bill re-done, with the discount included.Special Features: