150 Commercial Street
Edinburgh, EH6 6LBNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.britanniaspice.co.uk/
- Phone: 01315552255
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: 12:00pm - 2:15pm, 5:00pm - 11:45pm; Sun: 5:00pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Delivery, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Britannia Spice
Britannia Spice in Edinburgh is an award-winning restaurant, serving a range of Asian cuisines, including Indian, Bangladeshi, Nepali and Thai. Loyal customers and food critics alike rate its fresh, expertly prepared food and nautical décor – to explain, the restaurant’s name is a tribute to the Royal Britannia yacht, moored nearby in the Leith docks. The light, spacious interior is decked out with sails, lanterns and wooden ship wheels – the huge dining room makes it an ideal choice for large group outings like birthday parties and wedding receptions, though it’s equally suitable for a more intimate dinner. The menu is full of delicately spiced dishes from throughout Asia – each dish is accompanied by a description; alternatively friendly and knowledgeable staff are on hand to help you design the perfect meal. There’s also an extensive range of wine, beer and spirits on offer, as well as a very appealing dessert menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Britannia Spice reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since 23 May 2014
romance (5)special occasions (4)group bookings (4)business meals (3)good vegetarian options (2)fit for foodies (2)outstanding value (2)pre/post theatre (2)brunch (1)child friendly (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- Bit disappointed...lv2eatDined on 6/9/2014Two of us went for dinner. Staff forgot about my popadom order as a starter, even though they brought out other half's starter on its own, then brought the main after it, so missed out on my popadoms :( Then asked staff for advice on how hot a dish was, as I like hot Indian food. I was told not to worry, it was hot. It was the sweetest, least spicy food I ever had in an Indian, which certainly wasn't what I wanted (dish was nice, just not to my taste). Asked another staff member, who informed the that was the mildest dish...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Britannia spiceEdinburgheaters2Dined on 19/6/2014Been here often and never fails to impress. Very empty at lunch time, but no waiting and great service as a result. Food lovely, it always is. Would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- LovelyLou31Dined on 12/4/2014First time at Britania spice , food was lovely and very fresh , very busy which is ways a gd sign , defo return :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Award winning curryRoddie1952Dined on 31/1/2014Britannia Spice has many awards for its food, and well deserved too. Service is good with attentive staff keen to make your visit enjoyable. The decor is in keeping with its name, almost within sight of the Royal Yacht Britannia, all which makes this a pleasant visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a TryEricaDined on 12/12/2013After hearing so many reviews about this place I decided to stop by to get a chance to test it for myself. However, I was a bit disappointed when my food was served. I have opted to a Thai version of curry but was told that the Thai chef was not in so there were only a select few items available (one page) of the four-page menu. After narrowing my options I chose the tandoori chicken. Being a common dish I expected this to go down well. After one bite I could not eat anymore. I could tell it was overcooked as the meat was very dry. Unfortunately I could not finish my meal. The manager was very nice and offered us a discount but I don't plan on returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Britannia Spice reviews archive.
- birthday foodnicola1Dined on 31/8/2013Excellent service and food was good. Ambiance great. Perhaps presentation of food could be a little better. However they actually made a lovely dish based on my preference which was excellent. Well worth a visit. Will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an excellent dinner.DalguyVIPDined on 17/2/2013We had an excellent dinner. The waiters were helpful in explaining the menu. The service was good and the food was excellentI would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT VALUEloveindianfoodDined on 15/2/2013We had a lovely meal. service with a smile ( that makes a change from lots of places) Lovely atmosphere and we could here ourselves speakSpecial Features:
- DinnerDinerDined on 19/10/2012Food was nice but service really let the experience down on this occasion.Special Features:
- Britannia SpiceBumpsteedDined on 15/10/2012When visiting Edinburgh I was recommended Britannia Spice. Although service was very good the food was not great as I excepted. Trying to do too many thing. Forgot to add my discount to the bill which I do not like.Special Features:
- The food was very good, asAuchDined on 21/9/2012The food was very good, as it has been every time we have eaten there. The negative on this occasion was the difficulty in getting anyone to take our food order, even after asking if we could order. The frustrating part was that the only people apparently allowed to take food orders were clearly visible and not dealing with anyone else. Difficult to feel like valued customers when you are ignored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CurrySpatailhairDined on 8/8/2012Good offer, great value - wide range, tasty curries not to hot too loose that flavourI would recommend this to a friend.
- constantly brilliantDrMartinHopfDined on 16/7/2012I have been in this restaurant quite often now, taken guests there as well. My guests and I have always been amazed by both, the fab' quality of the food and the service. The wide choice of dishes let us discover any time a new meal and I will definetely go again. If you are looking for a nice experience with all sort of indian food I recommend this restaurant. You will not been disappointed! Dr Martin HopfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Britannia spice.AlanDined on 29/6/2012Excellent meal. Food is always of a high standard here. Service slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a dinner with myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2012Went for a dinner with my guests to Britannia Spice in Leith, Edinburgh with toptable deal £15.95 for 2 courses and tea/coffee. The menu for a deal was really limited, like 3 main courses and all chicken to choose from but we were kindly offered 15% from the main menu. The food was served quite promptly and was truly delicious. Recommended.
- Great service, good restaurantCrazylegsDined on 29/3/2012Great service, good restaurant for taking a family. Interesting selection of curries for various curries - however probably not the best recreations of some but still good.
- Britannia Spice 150 CommercialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 28/3/2012Britannia Spice 150 Commercial Street, Ocean Drive, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6LB 2 People, 19:00, 28 March 2012 Offer booked2 for 1 on main courses Excellent food, good portion sizes, professional service.
- Our booking for 20 at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 15/2/2012Our booking for 20 at the Britannia spice, Edinburgh unfortunat;y became a party of 13 but the management was fine about this reduction. the service was excellent and very efficient and the food of a good standard. I am sure top table menus indicated indian, Tai and chinese being available but the menu at the resturant was largely indian some tia but no chinese, otherwise a pleasant night out.
- Great restaurant! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2012Great restaurant! The food was lovely and the portions were big. We had the Bangladeshi Chicken Special and the Aloo Goshi with plain nan and pilau rice - would definitely recommend both dishes. It's worth another visit!
- Britannia Spice, Leith Edinburgh.KcfrDined on 3/2/2012Britannia Spice, Leith Edinburgh. Good food and good menu choice served in very pleasant surroundings. Staff extremely courteous although the restaurant is very large and needs a full house to build ambience. The toilets were a bit shabby as well as cramped, the toilet seat was broken but the manager assured us that it would be fixed. I thought it a bit expensive, £72 for two including 4 large Cobra beers. Worth a visit for a special occasion.
- Britannia Spice EdinburghuptheglenDined on 21/1/2012Britannia Spice Edinburgh was lovely. a great deal and staff were very friendly. will return in the future!
- Good food as always. StaffAlanDined on 16/12/2011Good food as always. Staff could perhaps be a little friendlier.
- 8 of us had an excellent mealJmunsDined on 14/12/20118 of us had an excellent meal at Britannia Spice in Leith. I was a bit concerned as we had a very mixed group. There was an uncle who loved Indian food having traveled extensively in India, my son who was missing good curries whilst living in the USA and others who didn't have Indian food as something they'd choose. All were satisfied, happy and saying they had good tasty food.
- Me and my friends decidedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2011Me and my friends decided to go to this restaurant for an evening meal. The food is lovely and the service is brilliant! Would recommend this restaurant to anyone!!
- Britannia Spice in EdinburghOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2011Britannia Spice in Edinburgh is a great place to go for an Indian, friendly and knowledgeable staff and great food.
- We dined at Britannia Spice,BerrygoodDined on 7/12/2011We dined at Britannia Spice, Edinburgh. We have dined here on several occasions already but this time it was a tad disappointing. The A La Carte menu was OK, but this time we went for the set menu, and, although the food was tasty, there were no choices for any of the courses. . The dessert was kulfe which was brick hard and, in the case of the pistachio flavour, was tasteless and dry.
- Britannia Spice, Leith, Edinburgh,ziggyDined on 26/11/2011Britannia Spice, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6LB. This was a family dinner for seven and we like the venue so much that we travel from the other side of town every time to go here. As usual, the food was fantastic. However, this time, we were seated in a corner table and struggled to get attention from the waiters!
- I have visited Britannia SpiceMarkDined on 11/11/2011I have visited Britannia Spice in Edinburgh on a couple of occasions and the food is always very nice and the service always good.....
- Britannia Spice in EdiburghFoodieDined on 9/11/2011Britannia Spice in Ediburgh was an average experience. Not very lively (but it was a weekday). Food was ok.
- Had a wonderful meal at BritanniaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 19/10/2011Had a wonderful meal at Britannia Spice last night. The food was amazing and the service excellent. Will be back soon !
- The curry was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 24/9/2011The curry was excellent and the service and atmosphere very good over all. It is a bit out of the way, but if you find yourself around Ocean Terminal or the Royal Yacht and like Indian cuisine, then Britannia Spice is a must.
- Britannia Spice, Leith, Edinburgh.TommyBoyDined on 22/8/2011Britannia Spice, Leith, Edinburgh. Two of us had the special offer menu of starter and main course for £15. The menu for this offer is small but has ample choice. The portions were a good size, fresh and well cooked. The service was attentive but not over-bearing. Overall very good. A small quibble was the exterior around the restaurant. Sweeping the pavement, clearing the weeds and ensuring there was no litter in the parking area would give a better first impression.
- Food was very tasty but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 19/8/2011Food was very tasty but service average - almost had to argue for 2 for 1 on main courses despite booking.
- Food was great, really intenseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 17/8/2011Food was great, really intense flavour and my starter and main came a tangy sauce on the side to complement the flavours...the waiting staff were attentive, if a little cold at times...it is also on the pricey side for a curry, but when the food tastes this good, you don't mind.
- Britannia Spice in Leith,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2011Britannia Spice in Leith, Edinburgh Excellent value for money and very high standard of food, the pakora were delicious. Very good service and pleasant surroundings. We would definitely eat there again.
- My wife and I have visitedTCJAMBODined on 6/8/2011My wife and I have visited Britannian Spice in Leith , Edinbugh on many occasions. It achieves consistently high standards. . All the food was excellent - particularly the Badami chicken , which neither of us had tried before. Up there with the other top Edinburgh Indians restaurants without a doubt.
- Considering all the awardsidl34Dined on 28/7/2011Considering all the awards the they has won, we were rather disappointed with food. The special Top Table offer was very limited. Three choices for the starter and only three choices for the main course. With regards to the special menu, when we arrived we gave the waiter the printed offer. We were handed a normal menu, and only when we had chosen our meals, were we then given the "special offer" menu and had to choose again. We then had to wait ages to give our order. Not impressed.
- We booked a thursday nightPansdinerDined on 7/7/2011We booked a thursday night for the 11.95 for 2 courses. Unfortunately we were given the full menu only to be told when ordering it should have been a special menu consisting of 4 starters and main courses. Despite this the food was outstanding and good service
- Britiannia spice EdinburghOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 17/6/2011Britiannia spice Edinburgh great location great food and service def worth a avisit
- Britannia Spice on the foreshoreMagsDined on 27/5/2011Britannia Spice on the foreshore of Edinburgh is a very nice curry house with attentive staff and good food.