Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff
The Friary Centre
Cardiff, CF10 3FANeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/locations/cardiff
- Phone: 02920667096
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12pm - 10.30pm Friday: 12pm - 11pm Saturday: 12pm - 4pm, 5pm - 10pm Sunday: 12pm - 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff
Close to Bute Park, the home of Cardiff’s historic and idiosyncratic castle, is popular restaurant Browns Bar and Brasserie. With its position in the heart of Cardiff’s cultural centre – galleries museums and concert venues are just moments away – the Browns Bar and Brasserie has become popular with an arty crowd, ranging from well dressed pre-theatre diners to students fresh from interesting lectures. The setting is perfect for socialising, with both stories light and spacious with glass frontages overlooking the streets. The informal air of Browns lends itself well to the brasserie style menu with its blend of classic and modern dishes, some wholly British, others decidedly European, with sharing platters and bar snacks available as well as the traditional a la carte choices. At the bar, guests are offered a range of drinks, from brand name beers and spirits to fine wines and handmade cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff - Best restaurants in Cardiff ›
Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since 5 May 2014
business meals (6)brunch (6)special occasions (5)afternoon tea (4)group bookings (3)pre/post theatre (3)romance (3)fit for foodies (2)sunday lunch (2)disabled access (2)child friendly (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Not at it's best, but still goodtravelgalDined on 15/8/2014We visited Browns on a Friday evening, and it was quite quiet. Service was attentive, and starter (baked camembert) was very nice. Had a steak for main course, which had a lot of sinew and gristle throughout, but was otherwise ok. Meal was let down a bit by an error with them bringing the wrong wine, and also when we'd finished, the servicer was keen to bring us the bill and for us to pay and go, although other diners were still in progress and it wasn't late. Having eaten before, it wasn't up to par, but was ok.Special Features:
- Great service from BrownstravelgalDined on 4/8/2014I visited Browns in Cardiff whilst on business. As I was dining alone that evening, the waiting staff were extremely helpful, friendly and stopped by frequently to check all was well. Very thoughtfu of them. Excellent food as always, lovely surroundings and the soft drinks choices (rhubarb fizz) were also excellent for those not having wine!Special Features:
- Shocking serviceCheezypeasDined on 10/7/2014An awful experience. I was left standing around when I arrived. was then shown to a table and as I was settling down, was then asked to move to make way for a bigger party (that didn't arrive). had to then wait half an hour to have my order taken. The staff were more interested in chatting to the drinkers out on the terrace than the customers inside. Food war average at very best and the bill was too high for the whole experience. I will never return.
- Good visit exceptMogsDined on 9/7/2014We dine at Browns quite regularly, food is good but I wish they would use more staff. Having to wait 15 minutes at the bar to get serve is ridiculous.Special Features:
- Excellent all round - onlycefnogwrrygbi2Dined on 21/2/2014Excellent all round - only gripe was we had to ask twice if our table was ready. Not really a problem, taking into consideration it was Six Nations Rugby day. Many thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Browns Bar & Brasserie CardiffSteCDined on 25/10/2013Centrally located bar and restaurant with an upmarket feel. As it was Friday evening on a 'rugby weekend' it was busy with a mixture of business diners and those starting on a night out. The service was prompt and polite given that it was so busy. We particularly liked the idea of the sharing platter for starter and the choice of St Austell Brewery ales and lagers to drink. The mains of Salmon Fishcakes and Chicken, Leek and Bacon Pie were well prepared, portioned and represented reasonable value for money. We would visit the restaurant again if in the city or at an outlet elsewhere in the same group.Perhaps best avoided at the busier times or on busier nights if you are looking for a more discrete dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 12 reviews are from the Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff reviews archive.
- 24th nov 2012 rugby day outstallionDined on 24/11/2012The food was not what we expected the quality was poor and the beer was warm not one of our better choices
- Sunday lunchDiners3Dined on 14/10/2012Arriving late after previously ringing when our taxi deposited us there was no fuss.. Service was very friendly and when our waitress was busy other waiters made sure we were attended well. Very good service without being in your face. The roast beef dinner had plenty of vegetables all with great flavours. The beef was extremely tender, roast potatoes not fatty and theYorkshire batter lovely. Lovely homemade lemonade A piano was played throughout our meal vey well - modern and older tunes with a twist. Fantastic piano playing. He took requests from two 8 year olds who were thrilled - fantastic Lots of families and groups with a really relaxed atmosphere and the chefs worked really hardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a good evening here aRustyDined on 12/10/2012had a good evening here a lively freindly place to eat would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for varied tastesLeftyDined on 16/6/2012I took my husband, grandmother and grandfather to Browns, all of which have very different food loves and hates. I was therefore pleasantly surprised by the variety of Browns' menu, with all of my guests finding a few options that appealed to them. All of our dishes were very well presented and extremely tasty. However, as Browns is a very lively bar/restaurant, it may not suit those wishing to share a quiet/romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not outstandingAPdinerDined on 2/6/2012Was visiting Cardiff with friends over the Jubilee/rugby weekend so places were all busy. Browns Bar was in convenient location and we just wanted a reasonable meal - knew it would not be top flight. Everything was OK but service, which was polite and friendly, was a little slow at times and we had to remind waiter to take our order. Not a real problem as we weren't in a rush but it did mean we had a long wait before getting any food/drink. Seemed popular with groups and families.Special Features:
- A slow dining experance.TB2499Dined on 30/5/2012I stood and waited at the front by the sign that said "Please wait here to be seated" for 5 mins before one of the two waiter walk up to be and ask if he could help. The restaurant was not busy, but the service was very slow, 10 mins after I sat down another waitress came up to asked if I would like a drink. After a further 10 mins, she came back to the the order, still no glass of wine that I ordered. After the meal which was good, I asked for dessert menu. Another 8-10 mins passed before a dessert menu was delivered, I order a ginger brownie with vanilla icecream. Another 5-7 mins later my dessert was delivered, the icecream sadly has melted! No for me next time I am in Cardiff.
- Had a reasonable meal at Brown'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2012Had a reasonable meal at Brown's - I went a starter of avocado and crab which was nice (avocado was ripe and there was plenty of crab) but way too big - it was more or less main course sized. Then I had the house salad - I asked for it with salmon but they were out of salmon so offered tuna instead, which was very nice.
- Brown's Bar & Brasserie inDMS19592Dined on 5/4/2012Brown's Bar & Brasserie in Cardiff. This was the first time I had been to a Brown's, though my wife likes the one in Covent Garden, and I was thoroughly impressed. The food was very good, well cooked and the menu was varied. The cocktails were a reasonable price and the atmosphere was relaxed. a very enjoyable experience and thoroughly recommended.
- Browns Cardiff - very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2012Browns Cardiff - very nice as always, good food, reasonable value, good service, nice quiet(ish) ambience.
- Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff.RY11Dined on 28/3/2012Browns Bar & Brasserie - Cardiff. The food was excellent but the service was very slow, which resulted in a meeting over a meal turing in to nothing more than frustration. That said the surrondings and the food were to Browns usual high standard.
- Browns Bar & Brasserie inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2012Browns Bar & Brasserie in Cardiff was exactly what we were looking for. Food was great, atmosphere lively and good wine list.
- Really lovely lunch todayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 20/2/2012Really lovely lunch today at Browns - had the fish and chips, delicious! will be back again soon in the evening to try their cocktails!