Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1679 reviews since 23 October 2013
pre/post theatre (985)special occasions (394)business meals (358)outstanding value (353)romance (281)group bookings (279)fit for foodies (267)sunday lunch (146)brunch (115)good vegetarian options (79)outdoor eating (59)afternoon tea (35)child friendly (28)disabled access (26)Show More
- RichardRichardVIPDined on 21/10/2014I had not been to Cafe Des Amis for over 20 years and was attracted by a pre-theatre offer of half price a la carte menu plus a free bottle of wine. The service was very brisk - we finished our 3 courses in 45 minutes. The food was average at best. The wine was undrinkable, as was the coffee. It will be at least another 20 years before I go again!
- Fair restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/10/2014Good food but small portions for the money, waitress got most of my order wrong and they have the cheek to add a service charge instead of asking for itSpecial Features:
- popular pre-theatre spot49thParallelDined on 20/10/2014We ordered from the pre-theatre menu. the food was quite good. I tried the goat cheese salad and then the duck main course. both were good. the place got very full and the service seemed overwhelmed. we saw the glasses of wine we ordered sitting forlornly on the bar waiting delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 19/10/2014The service was nothing to write home about, a tad slow but not really bad. The food was good, not great but I would certainly visit again due the affordable prices.Special Features:
- Good food but small portionsWeller6Dined on 19/10/2014We opted to visit Cafe Des Amis with an offer of a free Sunday roast dinner for 2 with any bottle of wine purchased. As we entered the restaurant we overheard the staff saying they didnt have 70% of the wines on the wine list. Luckily, the wine we wanted was still available, but I didnt think this was a great start to our visit! We opted for one roast beef and one roast chicken. The food we did receive was nice and flavourful, but it wasnt a fair size portion at all. Granted we were getting the meals for free, but if you paid for these dishes you would be very disappointed. We had one slice of beef, 4 tiny roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, half a carrot and one piece of broccoli - hardly a filling roast dinner!Special Features:
- Worst Sunday lunch everJodieziffDined on 19/10/2014Bad experience. We had four different waiters. Wrong food order brought out. When they brought right one my husband had finished his. Sunday roast wasn't a roast at all and consisted of a few pieces if untasted chicken three teeny new potatoes one piece of broccoli and a few slithers if carrot. Very poor my husbands food of calve sliver was good he said. We were then given complimentary deserts but they had ran out of our first and second choice place was chaotically ran from what I could see and when we asked to speak to manager we were told they didn't have one!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be....DanH78Dined on 18/10/2014My wife and I visited Cafe des Amis on a Saturday evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary - it was the first place we had dinner in London after we met and has a bit of a special memory for us. Our first visits were lovely and was the reason we returned. However...... The service was less than poor - half an hour to have a drinks order taken and an hour between starters and Mains. I think you'd agree that's pretty bad. Nobody came to check if our food was OK - mine was cold. No cutlery on the table for main courses & no one to ask. When we complained, the waiter admitted it was terrible now and that the managers relied too much on "voucher guests". I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone - shame as it used to be so good.
- Good option, with the right deal!HarrukenDined on 18/10/2014Despite initial reservations (the restaurant is situated down a small alley and surrounded by scaffolding and rubbish when we went) this is actually a nice restaurant with good service. The starters are pre-prepared (very cold plate and served 3 seconds after ordering) however they are tasty. The main of Calfs Liver is amazing and very tasty, the other mains I saw come out all looked good too! We couldnt fault the meal for what we paid (make sure you get a deal as the menu prices are very high) and the service and food was good - not five star but definately had worse :) Overall happy with what we had!
- Basic food at basic priceNorthernLassDined on 18/10/2014Tucked out of the way, but handy for the theatre, had high hopes for this restaurant. Saturday lunchtime fairly busy, but meal served in good time, as we were on a dead line. Staff friendly and food of an adequate standard but I guess this is reflected in the price (two course plus glass of wine for £14.50 Wouldn't rush back.Special Features:
- careful about discount!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 17/10/2014Service location ambience all ok, food good but very dissappointed by managers blase attitude when we were misled by their 'a la carte' discount, as it turned out we ordered pricey desserts a la carte, only to be told when presented the bill that they were NOT included in the aforementioned discount, making our bill not such good value for money after all; and the manager showed no mercy. Is this lack of customercare why you have less and less regular returning customers and need to offer higher and higher discounts? In all honesty a decent priced tasty meal if you learn (the hard way) to avoid the pitfalls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Cafe des AmismickymagDined on 17/10/2014A excellent evening. Lovely wine Chauvignon Blanc, a very fine and generous Sea Bass dish and a delightful creme brûlée . We all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing valuegemsDined on 17/10/20145 of us went for the 3 course menu with 50% off and a free bottle of wine The food was really good and the service was very quick. The air conditioning was broken which meant it was like a sauna in there though.Special Features:
- ExcellentSlatDined on 17/10/2014We booked with a Travelzoo voucher which made our meal particularly good value. Service was very prompt and of a high level. Food and wine were both very good. We finished our meal in good time for the theatre because the service was so quick- I have not always found this to be the case at other restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent For Pre or Post theatredalsfDined on 17/10/2014Café des Amis is always reliable for speedy service when required - pre theatre. They have good offers available on a daily basis. The food is good although not overly inspiring but when you are on your way to the theatre time is of the essence not gourmet food. Our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful, let us order when only two were seated so we could start and brought out the food speedily. He was aware immediately when our other diners arrived and came to get their orders promptly. The upstairs dining area is warm so I hope there is airconditioning in the summer otherwise it would be really uncomfortable It is a really good place for pre theatre. One of these days I will be there for a relaxed meal! I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014We booked under the open table special offer, so it was excellent value for money. Starts: goat's cheese and caramelised pear - was nice but thought the goat's cheese should have been warm; Main, my sister had the steak and chips, which she was really disappointed with. the steak was tougher than it should be, and chips just looked like fastfood fries rather than nicer, handcut chips of better quality. Main, I had the duck confit which was gorgeous!! It was so rich and moist, and fell off the bone with the slightest prod. Flipping delicious! For desert, we had the cholate bowel with black pepper ice-cream - only fault is it was too much!Special Features:
- Not reallysc78Dined on 17/10/2014The food is really not good, the wine list is very short, staff have no idea what they are doing! Even with the incredible offer they are this is not worth going...
- Give it a missBin56Dined on 17/10/2014Have been to Cafe des Amis many times before. This last time was dreadful, and I will not be going back! I booked the 50% of A La Carte menu plus a bottle of house wine, for lunch with friend. The waiter told us that our offer was for 50% of a starter and mains, but we had to have 3 courses, and the dessert was full price. I explained that wasn't what I had booked. He told me that these offers change all the time, and that this was what was showing in the computer today. Luckily, I had the email confirmation on my phone, which I showed him. This said nothing like he was saying to us. In the end he did give us what I had booked, but it wasn't easy. This restaurant is obviously trying to con diners........... DON'T GOSpecial Features:
- Good value lunchSusanneDined on 17/10/2014We had a lovely lunch the food was fresh and well cooked. Given that it was a working day they moved at a suitable pace so that we could have our 2 courses in just over an hour Great value and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/10/2014The food was excellent. The service was also very good and quick and the waiters and waitresses were friendly and attentive. My party of friends were all very impressed by the standard of food and service. Recommended.Special Features:
- The worst service in London.JBagelDined on 15/10/2014The menu as of today (16/10) is not the same as the menu you will be presented with in the restaurant. Our waitress described it as "very old". The offer terms were changed between booking and arrival (now updated here) - the manager refused to honour. A waiter brought out my mother's food (we were out for her 60th, actually) and barked "NAPKIN" at her as she hadn't synchronised moving it from the table to her lap within the 2 minutes it had taken for the starter to arrive. Rushed. Whilst complaining - again - to the manager, he tells my girlfriend that he's not speaking to her - he's speaking to me. A comedy of errors. We left and headed to The White Swan just down the road, as should you if you value common decency and extraordinary food.
- Luke warm wine and poor foodsarahharkDined on 15/10/2014We had booked a pre theatre supper deal. The staff were efficient but too rushed to be friendly. The white wine wasn't cold. The food was mediocre, poorly seasoned and not very hot. And although the two course meal alone was good cheap enough the whole bill with compulsory service charge looked really expensive. Won't go there again.
- All changesMitchbpDined on 13/10/2014I recently took my friend to Cafe des Amis for her birthday and to take advantage of their great offers. I hadn't noticed that their offer had changed and that now diners must have a minimum of 3 courses with 50% off starters & mains and dessert at full price. Neither of us has a large appetite so I felt this was a bit restrictive, but still very good value. Before booking, I checked their menu online to see if they still offered my favourite dishes, and they did. However, when we were handed our menus, neither the seared scallop and risotto starter nor the venison main I had been looking forward to were on there. Disappointing. I chose the sea bass, which was beautifully prepared, but would have preferred veg rather than gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall we were disappointed!GaryJDined on 13/10/2014I have been to Cafe des Amis on many occasions over the years and have always been impressed. Alas not so this time. I hosted a table of four for dinner. On the plus side the service was very good and attentive. However, our experience with the food and the wine was less good. The white wine was delivered warm and we had to ask for ice to add to our glasses. The food was also disappointing overall. The starter of duck was rather insipid. For the mains the fish was presented on a bed of what looked like mushy and warmed up vegetables. Another main - the pasta - was stoggy and stuck together. I am hoping that this was just an 'off day' for the restaurant as I would hate to drop them from my 'regular London haunts' list!Special Features:
- Distinctly AberageGlc88VIPDined on 13/10/2014I went when this first opened and waitresses were rude to the point of obnoxious. Nearly two years on I revisited and was sad to see this had got worse not better - I must exclude the waiter with the old style glasses - he was fantastic but let down by the waitresses. There was lipstick on my glass too and it seemed to offend when I asked for a clean glass. First course came within 2 minutes of ordering so we felt very rushed. Won't be going back!!Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday lunchatuaDined on 12/10/2014Went with 4 friends for a Sunday lunch. Decor quite modern, fresh and up-to-date. Plenty of choice on the menus. We went with a 50% off voucher and this was good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreddieDined on 12/10/2014The service, atmosphere and food was excellent. Really enjoyed the bread served before our meal but thought it was within the meal price as a gesture but had to pay for it at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine post theatreFloroDined on 11/10/2014We had a spectacular night, the waiter, Cosimo, was just perfect!Special Features:
- Nice food.AnonymousDined on 11/10/2014As always, Café des Amis provided a very nice meal, and reasonably good value for money. The service, however, was considerably worse than in previous times I have been there.Special Features:
- PoorDavidVIPDined on 11/10/2014Ambience - What ambience. It is too noisy and the tables are too close. Food - ok. The sauce is the same for any meat dish. One of the few French restaurant which really cannot be classified as French. Service - Side order did not arrive. Waitress should repeat order to make sure. Value for money - Even with TT offer, it is below par. The menu is different online from the one at the restaurant. It is time they changed the online menu. It's like they want to tempt you with a different menu.
- Excellent Pre-Theatre RestaurantHillieDined on 11/10/2014This is my second visit to Cafe des Amis pre theatre & I was not disappointed. It is an excellent choice for a pre-theatre meal; central, good food & a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Value for money in a great locationDrSilDined on 11/10/2014We had the pre/post theatre menu which was excellent value for money with lots of different options in a great location. The restaurant was busy and the service was incredibly quick on arrival and for starters and mains. We asked to see a dessert menu which never arrived and it was difficult to catch the attention of (very busy) staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodWobiDined on 11/10/2014Lovely food and the pre-theatre set menu was very good value.Special Features:
- Lunch was fantasticClooneyDined on 11/10/2014Went for lunch on Saturday, we had the special offer of 50% of food and a free bottle of wine. Fantastic, Food and service were all fantastic, could not fault it at all. Cannot wait to return. Not suitable for children, fabulous for adults thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for mebabsDined on 10/10/2014Went on a groupon deal. It said french restaurant with ambience. We was put in the bar. That smelt dank and it was dark. Formica tables no table cloths. The only thing french about the menu was french onion soup. We ended up having a burger. You should check before u go and see where u are seated. If its the bar dont go. Very dissapointed.
- Not bad, not greatAdamDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant is nice, and in a good location. The staff let us sit down to lunch earlier than what we had booked. We ordered from the set lunch menu, which had a fair choice of meals. The service was quick, a little too quick, which led us to believe that the food was prepped before ordered. There were literally minutes between each course, which made us feel like they were turning our table over as quickly as possible. I was very disappointed with my linguine dish, and my wife had the ravioli which again, she was disappointed with. I would not eat here again, and think for the money paid, there are better restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- wonderfulGourmetGlennDined on 9/10/2014This was the third occasion that I have dined at Café des Amis, and each visit has been outstanding. My usual thing is to have a drink in a pub before and arrive just before my booked time, I chose to have a drink at the bar downstairs this time and it meant we didn't have to break the rhythm by getting back into the cold and rain to walk from one venue to you. The food was absolutely delicious and really well presented. I impressed my guest as well !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be8nineDined on 9/10/2014Cafe Des Amis was ok on this occasion, but definately not as good as it used to be. The staff were quite surly and not very helpful. The special offer was good value and the food was fine, but not wonderful. Everything felt a bit cheap. I doubt I'd go back again unless is was a very good deal.Special Features:
- Good food rubbish serviceChrissyhindDined on 9/10/2014Actually if you were in no hurry this is an excellent restaurant and the waiters are charming. Sadly we were pre theater and there simply wasn't enough staff on duty to cope with the numbers of diners. I became particularly irritated when time was short and two members of staff were larking about on the stairs while holding one of the dinners that we were waiting for. In the end we had to leave without our deserts (having paid) and return for them after the theatre. Not a word of apology from the manager. We ended up on very late tubes homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-theatre dinner.familydinerDined on 7/10/2014We arrived 25 minutes early at 9.50pm and were shown to a table surrounded by a very noisy party so insisted on moving somewhere we could hear ourselves talk. The waitress was grumpy, our starter and mains came in good time, but then we were left for 45 minutes before they came back to ask about dessert by which time we had to teave to catch trains it being close to midnight. We had tried to attract a waiter earlier but no one came over. This meant we did not get the 50% reduction on food as the small print says you have to have a 3 course meal. Food was okay, but nothing special and overpriced.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beAnneDined on 7/10/201450% off food is a good offer, but the starting prices are quite high. The offer does not include the desserts, which are again pricey. The food was good but the service was barely adequate, for which we were charged £30 (there were five of us). We were left with the dessert menu for at least 20 minutes and I had to call the waitress over in the end even though the restaurant was not particularly busy. When I have visited this restaurant in the past, the service was always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.