Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1667 reviews since 31 October 2013
pre/post theatre (984)special occasions (397)business meals (357)outstanding value (354)group bookings (278)romance (278)fit for foodies (270)sunday lunch (149)brunch (112)good vegetarian options (79)outdoor eating (60)afternoon tea (37)child friendly (27)disabled access (26)Show More
- Great dinnerlogroDined on 28/10/2014For pre-theatre this is a great spot. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Goodtasty4meDined on 27/10/2014Have bougth this before several times and always good food and well presented. Service is always friendly and not intrusive. Duck confit and the salmon is always a favourite. Would always go back for more tasting anytime with friends. Ambience buzzing with people truly enjoying themselves. Wine list is reasonable.Special Features:
- REGULAR EATERmattfaithDined on 27/10/2014I HAVE BEEN TO THIS RESTAURANT ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, ON ONE OCCASION I WAS OVER AN HOUR EARLY, BUT WAS SEATED WITHOUT HESITATION, THE STAFF ARE SO FRIENDLY THE SERVICE IS EXCELLENT INVISIBLE WHEN NEED TO BE VISIBLE WHEN NEEDED, THE FOOD HAS NEVER FAILED TO IMPRESS ME AND I HAVE EATEN FROM BOTH MENUS, THE DESSERT OF THE DAY HAS ALWAYS BEEN A FAVOURITE, THIS IS THE ONLY RESTAURANT IN COVENT GARDEN, I WILL EAT IN, LOVE IT.Special Features:
- Cafe des Amis, Covent GardenDaveDined on 26/10/2014What a farce! I booked a table for 2 adults and 1 child. mentioning in the reservation notes the free Sunday roast for 2 people offer based on 'the purchase of any bottle of wine on the Cafe des Amis wine list' as promoted in their e-mail marketing. But after eventually placing the order I was told 'house wine' was not included for this offer and I was asked to purchase a more expensive bottle of wine to be eligible for a free Sunday roast. Even after reminding them the offer stated 'any bottle of wine' they refused to accept this. I left the restaurant without dining there, as they had no intention of honouring their own offer which they had sent to me by e-mail. I will never go to this restaurant again. Their so-called 'offers' are fake.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 26/10/2014This is my third visit to cafe des amis each time on a voucher meal deal. The previous two occasions provided a lovely atmosphere meal lovely], good service and good value for money. However on the last occasion Sunday 26th October, the service rushed, the meal missing items, we comaplained, only to be told they had run out of things ! It appeared that the staff had no guidance from anyone, we wondered if the manager was absent and they were short staffed. Unfortunately we not not have a good experience and will NOT be back
- LondonerDined on 26/10/2014Not really sure how/what to recommend this restaurant as?! Service was horrendous and the Sunday roast (chicken) was something I could have rustled up better after a long day at work! Ignored when we came in by 2 staff members on the front desk one which turned out to be the actual Manager! Covent Garden is a tourist trap, so I was not expecting much, especially with the food offer they had, but the service was unbelievably shocking and I think restaurants need to remember, not everyone is a tourist and actual Londoners like myself do like to tread into central London now and gain for a half decent meal. Needless to say, no tip was left, and the waitress actually charged us less by not being able to add the bill up correctly! No hope here.Special Features:
- Great Value with 50% off foodHannahDined on 25/10/2014This is my second time I have been to the restaurant to take up the 50% off food and a free bottle of wine offer but last time there was no mention of a dessert that had to be taken with the offer so am not sure if this added to the deal this time round. The food was very tasty and would definitely come again! The service was a bit slow especially for a pre drink before the meal that turned up after the starter. The tuna tartare starter was fresh, light and delicious and the duck confit with the puy lentils is a match made in heaven. The house white wine that came free with the meal was light, crisp and fruity.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014Enjoyed a meal for seven of us, we were well looked after, food was delicious and we had a good nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly servicesB4ashowdiningDined on 25/10/2014Great food , friendly service , nice ambience will definitely go againSpecial Features:
- Good value for moneycannylassDined on 25/10/2014This restaurant always has special offers and at those prices it's great. Not sure I'd want to pay the full price. For a good quality meal in pleasant surroundings and at a reasonable price (c£40 for two courses for two people and a bottle of wine), it can't be beaten. It's one of our favourite places- not so much for a destination in its own right but as part of a day out or before the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for moneyTriggerDined on 24/10/20142 lunch courses for £20 is very good value and the portions are very ample. Food was fair but nothing startling and certainly nothing to complain about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded and chaoticEricaDined on 23/10/2014They've crammed a lot more tables in since I last ate there, and it does nothing for the atmosphere or the service. Food arrives in seconds of ordering, and waiting staff either forget your order or bring it more than once. Not somewhere I will go again.
- Before the operaTRENTDined on 22/10/2014An ideal place to eat before opera at Royal Opera House , ENO or theatres in Strand/Aldwych area. Tends to be busy from 5.30 to 7.30 so pre-booking essential. If going just to eat better to go at 7.45 or later, after the rush. If using one of their vouchers the cost is vey reasonable. Service is usually fast and friendly.Special Features:
- lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/10/2014We had a great time, and although we had a taste card we were not treated as if we did (some restaurants tend not to treat customers with taste cards very well). The food was incredible and delish! the restaurant was lovely. The staff unfortunately didn't have great English so a few messages were not understood. We also had to ask twice for our drinks but apart from that it was great.Special Features:
- geared up for theater goersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014we had a special voucher for two for a two-course dinner with wine. The main course was not as hot as it should have been, so they credited one dessert which we would have had to pay extra. Also service charge was not added, so generally a fairly generous gesture for a west-end restaurant! Service was impeccable and speed of serving was obviously aimed at theater times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Efficient and TastyFoodieFairyDined on 21/10/2014Having had to move my booking to another day (we were using a Travelzoo voucher) AND having problems with underground travel that evening made me late for my meeting with my friend and this would probably make some restaurants annoyed! However Café des Amis were very accommodating and my friend and I had a really lovely meal together. The portions were generous (and very filling) and the wine was very nice indeed. We recommend the calf's liver and the sea bass! Overall the experience was very good; however it is a shame that the staff couldn't smile and engage with you that much - for me that makes a good experience and you did get the feeling that because you were on a voucher deal you were a little less important. Overall good place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardRichardVIPDined on 21/10/2014I had not been to Cafe Des Amis for over 20 years and was attracted by a pre-theatre offer of half price a la carte menu plus a free bottle of wine. The service was very brisk - we finished our 3 courses in 45 minutes. The food was average at best. The wine was undrinkable, as was the coffee. It will be at least another 20 years before I go again!
- Fair restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/10/2014Good food but small portions for the money, waitress got most of my order wrong and they have the cheek to add a service charge instead of asking for itSpecial Features:
- popular pre-theatre spot49thParallelDined on 20/10/2014We ordered from the pre-theatre menu. the food was quite good. I tried the goat cheese salad and then the duck main course. both were good. the place got very full and the service seemed overwhelmed. we saw the glasses of wine we ordered sitting forlornly on the bar waiting delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 19/10/2014The service was nothing to write home about, a tad slow but not really bad. The food was good, not great but I would certainly visit again due the affordable prices.Special Features:
- Good food but small portionsWeller6Dined on 19/10/2014We opted to visit Cafe Des Amis with an offer of a free Sunday roast dinner for 2 with any bottle of wine purchased. As we entered the restaurant we overheard the staff saying they didnt have 70% of the wines on the wine list. Luckily, the wine we wanted was still available, but I didnt think this was a great start to our visit! We opted for one roast beef and one roast chicken. The food we did receive was nice and flavourful, but it wasnt a fair size portion at all. Granted we were getting the meals for free, but if you paid for these dishes you would be very disappointed. We had one slice of beef, 4 tiny roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, half a carrot and one piece of broccoli - hardly a filling roast dinner!Special Features:
- Worst Sunday lunch everJodieziffDined on 19/10/2014Bad experience. We had four different waiters. Wrong food order brought out. When they brought right one my husband had finished his. Sunday roast wasn't a roast at all and consisted of a few pieces if untasted chicken three teeny new potatoes one piece of broccoli and a few slithers if carrot. Very poor my husbands food of calve sliver was good he said. We were then given complimentary deserts but they had ran out of our first and second choice place was chaotically ran from what I could see and when we asked to speak to manager we were told they didn't have one!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be....DanH78Dined on 18/10/2014My wife and I visited Cafe des Amis on a Saturday evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary - it was the first place we had dinner in London after we met and has a bit of a special memory for us. Our first visits were lovely and was the reason we returned. However...... The service was less than poor - half an hour to have a drinks order taken and an hour between starters and Mains. I think you'd agree that's pretty bad. Nobody came to check if our food was OK - mine was cold. No cutlery on the table for main courses & no one to ask. When we complained, the waiter admitted it was terrible now and that the managers relied too much on "voucher guests". I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone - shame as it used to be so good.
- Good option, with the right deal!HarrukenDined on 18/10/2014Despite initial reservations (the restaurant is situated down a small alley and surrounded by scaffolding and rubbish when we went) this is actually a nice restaurant with good service. The starters are pre-prepared (very cold plate and served 3 seconds after ordering) however they are tasty. The main of Calfs Liver is amazing and very tasty, the other mains I saw come out all looked good too! We couldnt fault the meal for what we paid (make sure you get a deal as the menu prices are very high) and the service and food was good - not five star but definately had worse :) Overall happy with what we had!
- Basic food at basic priceNorthernLassDined on 18/10/2014Tucked out of the way, but handy for the theatre, had high hopes for this restaurant. Saturday lunchtime fairly busy, but meal served in good time, as we were on a dead line. Staff friendly and food of an adequate standard but I guess this is reflected in the price (two course plus glass of wine for £14.50 Wouldn't rush back.Special Features:
- careful about discount!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 17/10/2014Service location ambience all ok, food good but very dissappointed by managers blase attitude when we were misled by their 'a la carte' discount, as it turned out we ordered pricey desserts a la carte, only to be told when presented the bill that they were NOT included in the aforementioned discount, making our bill not such good value for money after all; and the manager showed no mercy. Is this lack of customercare why you have less and less regular returning customers and need to offer higher and higher discounts? In all honesty a decent priced tasty meal if you learn (the hard way) to avoid the pitfalls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Cafe des AmismickymagDined on 17/10/2014A excellent evening. Lovely wine Chauvignon Blanc, a very fine and generous Sea Bass dish and a delightful creme brûlée . We all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing valuegemsDined on 17/10/20145 of us went for the 3 course menu with 50% off and a free bottle of wine The food was really good and the service was very quick. The air conditioning was broken which meant it was like a sauna in there though.Special Features:
- ExcellentSlatDined on 17/10/2014We booked with a Travelzoo voucher which made our meal particularly good value. Service was very prompt and of a high level. Food and wine were both very good. We finished our meal in good time for the theatre because the service was so quick- I have not always found this to be the case at other restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent For Pre or Post theatredalsfDined on 17/10/2014Café des Amis is always reliable for speedy service when required - pre theatre. They have good offers available on a daily basis. The food is good although not overly inspiring but when you are on your way to the theatre time is of the essence not gourmet food. Our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful, let us order when only two were seated so we could start and brought out the food speedily. He was aware immediately when our other diners arrived and came to get their orders promptly. The upstairs dining area is warm so I hope there is airconditioning in the summer otherwise it would be really uncomfortable It is a really good place for pre theatre. One of these days I will be there for a relaxed meal! I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014We booked under the open table special offer, so it was excellent value for money. Starts: goat's cheese and caramelised pear - was nice but thought the goat's cheese should have been warm; Main, my sister had the steak and chips, which she was really disappointed with. the steak was tougher than it should be, and chips just looked like fastfood fries rather than nicer, handcut chips of better quality. Main, I had the duck confit which was gorgeous!! It was so rich and moist, and fell off the bone with the slightest prod. Flipping delicious! For desert, we had the cholate bowel with black pepper ice-cream - only fault is it was too much!Special Features:
- Not reallysc78Dined on 17/10/2014The food is really not good, the wine list is very short, staff have no idea what they are doing! Even with the incredible offer they are this is not worth going...
- Give it a missBin56Dined on 17/10/2014Have been to Cafe des Amis many times before. This last time was dreadful, and I will not be going back! I booked the 50% of A La Carte menu plus a bottle of house wine, for lunch with friend. The waiter told us that our offer was for 50% of a starter and mains, but we had to have 3 courses, and the dessert was full price. I explained that wasn't what I had booked. He told me that these offers change all the time, and that this was what was showing in the computer today. Luckily, I had the email confirmation on my phone, which I showed him. This said nothing like he was saying to us. In the end he did give us what I had booked, but it wasn't easy. This restaurant is obviously trying to con diners........... DON'T GOSpecial Features:
- Good value lunchSusanneDined on 17/10/2014We had a lovely lunch the food was fresh and well cooked. Given that it was a working day they moved at a suitable pace so that we could have our 2 courses in just over an hour Great value and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/10/2014The food was excellent. The service was also very good and quick and the waiters and waitresses were friendly and attentive. My party of friends were all very impressed by the standard of food and service. Recommended.Special Features:
- The worst service in London.JBagelDined on 15/10/2014The menu as of today (16/10) is not the same as the menu you will be presented with in the restaurant. Our waitress described it as "very old". The offer terms were changed between booking and arrival (now updated here) - the manager refused to honour. A waiter brought out my mother's food (we were out for her 60th, actually) and barked "NAPKIN" at her as she hadn't synchronised moving it from the table to her lap within the 2 minutes it had taken for the starter to arrive. Rushed. Whilst complaining - again - to the manager, he tells my girlfriend that he's not speaking to her - he's speaking to me. A comedy of errors. We left and headed to The White Swan just down the road, as should you if you value common decency and extraordinary food.
- Luke warm wine and poor foodsarahharkDined on 15/10/2014We had booked a pre theatre supper deal. The staff were efficient but too rushed to be friendly. The white wine wasn't cold. The food was mediocre, poorly seasoned and not very hot. And although the two course meal alone was good cheap enough the whole bill with compulsory service charge looked really expensive. Won't go there again.
- All changesMitchbpDined on 13/10/2014I recently took my friend to Cafe des Amis for her birthday and to take advantage of their great offers. I hadn't noticed that their offer had changed and that now diners must have a minimum of 3 courses with 50% off starters & mains and dessert at full price. Neither of us has a large appetite so I felt this was a bit restrictive, but still very good value. Before booking, I checked their menu online to see if they still offered my favourite dishes, and they did. However, when we were handed our menus, neither the seared scallop and risotto starter nor the venison main I had been looking forward to were on there. Disappointing. I chose the sea bass, which was beautifully prepared, but would have preferred veg rather than gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall we were disappointed!GaryJDined on 13/10/2014I have been to Cafe des Amis on many occasions over the years and have always been impressed. Alas not so this time. I hosted a table of four for dinner. On the plus side the service was very good and attentive. However, our experience with the food and the wine was less good. The white wine was delivered warm and we had to ask for ice to add to our glasses. The food was also disappointing overall. The starter of duck was rather insipid. For the mains the fish was presented on a bed of what looked like mushy and warmed up vegetables. Another main - the pasta - was stoggy and stuck together. I am hoping that this was just an 'off day' for the restaurant as I would hate to drop them from my 'regular London haunts' list!Special Features:
- Distinctly AberageGlc88VIPDined on 13/10/2014I went when this first opened and waitresses were rude to the point of obnoxious. Nearly two years on I revisited and was sad to see this had got worse not better - I must exclude the waiter with the old style glasses - he was fantastic but let down by the waitresses. There was lipstick on my glass too and it seemed to offend when I asked for a clean glass. First course came within 2 minutes of ordering so we felt very rushed. Won't be going back!!Special Features: