Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Des Amis - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1719 reviews since 6 May 2014
pre/post theatre (1006)special occasions (424)business meals (384)outstanding value (348)romance (299)fit for foodies (289)group bookings (276)sunday lunch (155)brunch (127)good vegetarian options (80)outdoor eating (65)afternoon tea (36)child friendly (28)disabled access (26)Show More
- Dinner at cafe des AmisFat22Dined on 30/8/2014It is a nice place but the service was very poor, no respect for the customers. The starters were very blend and the main was ok. Glad it was on the deal if I was paying the full price I would have sent the food back.
- French or Italian restaurant?TaronjaBerryDined on 30/8/2014I came here before and it was French style and delicious. My surprise was when saw the menu and the food is very Italian, many dishes with pasta or wild mushroom risotto, which we tried as starter as tasted like plain boil rice, even my Seabass had gnocchi as part or the garnish, which was fine. My parter ordered beef tortellini and he felt the portion was nice and short. But the worst thing was we had to sit by kitchen and we could hear the bell all night long from the chef calling for service, doesn't help for a romantic and quite dinner, and on top of that, we had to move our table to let another couple sitdown... we suppose to get 50% discount on food and a free bottle of wine and we had to mention it when the bill arrive 20min later
- Good for pre-theatreLanaDined on 29/8/2014The 50% off the menu with a complimentary bottle of house wine is great value, but as the deal is on 7 days a week I presume this is the standard price to pay rather than the menu prices. I would not have paid full price for the food as it was OK/average, but you definitely get what you pay for so I can't really complain. Cheap and quick-good for pre-theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service as alwaysAmbrosiaDined on 28/8/2014With 50% off and a free bottle of wine, excellent service and above average food, what's not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with voucherafter8Dined on 27/8/2014If you have a discount voucher it is reasonable. However beware that you will be offered bread and olives which will seriously increase the cost. Further make sure you examine your bill. We were prepared to leave a generous gratuity but found that a 25% "discretionary" service charge, based on the full price before the discount, had already been added to the bill. When we questioned this the service charge was reduced but not with good grace. This spoilt what had been an otherwise pleasant meet up with my daughter and son in law. When will restaurants start paying their staff a proper wage so they don't have to resort to these tactics?
- Would i go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 27/8/2014Went on a voucher and must say good value. Staff very helpful and accommodating Would go again on voucher but certainly would go and pay full priceSpecial Features:
- Good value for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/8/2014Our group of 11 were very pleased with the 50% off A la carte menu, but the free bottle of house wine was between us all !!The food was delicious and very good value for the price. We will returnSpecial Features:
- Good experienceMarwaDined on 26/8/2014I was particularly pleased with the meal I had at cafe des Amis I was entertaining family from abroad and they were very impressed with the food and the service so that made me. Dry happy The food was great, very fresh and tasty and the wine they offered in the deal was also good and complimented the food wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dealNancyDined on 23/8/2014The restaurant was pleasant, but the service was unfortunately slow and unfriendly. The food was decent, but I dont think I would ever pay full price for it. I got the 50% off food and free wine deal, which turned out quite decent for the price, but its not a restaurant I think I would go again any time soon.
- EnjoyedSteviejbDined on 23/8/2014Had the 50% off a la carte and free wine. Couldn't fault the deal, had the steak and chips with a few sides. Does get busy pre-theatre, not super personal experience but friendly and there was a little queue, but guess thats normal in this area and when such deals are on. Probably would not want to pay full price, but overall enjoyed. Would recommend the 50% off and free wine deal for sure.
- Quick and efficientcarogDined on 23/8/2014Cafe des Amis provides a quick and efficient pre- and post-theatre service. The food is of good quality and the staff are attentive.Special Features:
- great timeggauldDined on 23/8/2014We had a really good time at cafe des Amos. The food was amazing, the restaurant was lovely. Great value. Amazing timeSpecial Features:
- Adequate but priceypandjDined on 23/8/2014We booked this restaurant as we had good memories from a few years ago. We had booked for 4 but the server tried to give us a table for 2. It took a while to sort out something acceptable and we had to settle for 2 tables pushed together. Changes in layout and decor have made the restaurant less attractive and it now lacks ambience. The starters came quickly once ordered but my risotto was not hot, so it was not freshly prepared. The food was of reasonable quality but seemed expensive for what we got, especially the starters and desserts. Service was okay, though it took a long time for our dessert order to be taken. Luckily we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Awful service, mediocre foodtamtamDined on 21/8/2014Went to celebrate my brother's great exam results only to be disappointed. Food was okay at best - didn't expect greatness seeing as we had 50% off food bill. But the evening was uncomfortable as we had the surliest waiter - who not only treated us like we were an inconvenience also proceeded to bang plates around and mutter under his breath while clearing nearby tables etc. Evening was made worse towards the end of our meal when the table next to us got into a huge fight with the head waiter - with a lot of back and forth insults flying around before the couple stormed out. Wonderful(!)Special Features:
- Great value with the dealEvaSoDined on 21/8/2014Café des Amis is a restaurant of very high standard. The food was excellent, and service was friendly, although I rated them only 3* for bringing my starter only after my friend had finished hers! Because we ate with a deal giving us 50% off the food plus a free bottle of house wine, we enjoyed a fantastic two course meal with wine for only £41.Special Features:
- Lovely pre theatre dinner8lettersukDined on 21/8/2014The pre theatre menu is great value and was delicious. Portions are great size too. Sadly we couldn't fit in dessert as they sounded amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shopping breakBernieHVIPDined on 21/8/2014Very good meal and outstanding value for money. Staff very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- SamplersamplerDined on 20/8/2014Have been to this restaurant quite often,which says it all.Service excellent & freindly . The food is value for money we shall returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to standardAsh1Dined on 20/8/2014Some of the meat was tough but it was at least all tasty, but avoid the risotto at all costs. I was reminded, sadly too late, that the last time I came here (about a year ago) my complaint about the risotto was exactly the same. It's too stodgy (clearly made the previous day), and the only taste is of stock cubes, and not particularly decent stock cubes at that. Starters were fine, but came disconcertingly quickly. Felt like we'd barely finished uttering our order before they came. Probably won't return, at least not for a good while. The food is unjustifiably expensive without the TT deal.
- Decent placeleewilliamsDined on 19/8/2014normally decent food, without being special, this time no exception. What lets this place down is the comedy service, waitress that ignore you, mistake orders and. But this time the servcie was OK.Special Features:
- FoodloverDined on 18/8/2014So close to Covent Garden, yet tucked away from the hustle and bustle. A real find in such a central location. Delicious food, at a good price- and excellent service as well.Special Features:
- Quite nicefoodieDined on 18/8/2014Enjoyed a meal here with the 50% off deal and a bottle of wine. Made it very good value, 3 of us, starter, main and bottle of wine for £50. We didn't enjoy the french onion soup as we thought it was very sweet (maybe that is how it is supposed to be?) but other dishes were tasty, not amazing but enjoyed. Not worth it without the deal but may well go back again with it.Special Features:
- A special eveningEatasweetDined on 16/8/2014As three friends who only get together once a year, and were celebrating significant '0' birthdays this year, we wanted somewhere special to go after an evening concert. The location is great and the booking process was simple.We really appreciated the ambience of the restaurant and the attentive service. The food was delivered speedily to the table and was full of flavour. Not huge choices for vegetarians though, from either menu - perhaps this could be improved.Special Features:
- Great yet again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 16/8/2014My husband an I have been back to this restaurant on a number of occassions and we always love it. The food, the wine, the service, everything is great for the price. We have taken friends to experience the restaurant with us and we have been on our own, either way, we are yet to have a bad meal or disappointing experience. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great valueDavidVIPDined on 16/8/2014I was here when I was a student. Obviously, it is now more upmarket. The offer on opentable is great value with a bottle of wine thrown in. Despite it being very crowded the service was very prompt and good. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:
- Excellent as everFarseerDined on 16/8/2014A very good dining experience - they have fine-tuned both menu and the ore theatre dining to a fine art.Special Features:
- Evening mealSmithyDined on 15/8/2014We usually go to pre-theatre but had an evening meal on this occasion. Very busy, hot and rushed service. Food still good and good value.Special Features:
- KhatchDined on 15/8/2014Waited an hour for our table. Pointed this out to the hostess who just shrugged at us. Once we had sat down at our table, 1 hour and ten minutes after we had booked, the service was excellent and the food very good. Shame the initial impression was so poor.Special Features:
- evening mealeveningdinersDined on 14/8/2014Excellent food and with the bottle of wine ,excellent value. Portions not large but a very good deal otherwise. Staff very friendly and service very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect flavour &proportion balancesarahmay2000Dined on 14/8/2014Reasonably sized portions provide rich and delicious meals. Flavours are perfectly balanced and the meals are not heavily bulked out with fries and salad. The main meat or fish portion is the focus of the meal and is generously applied to the dish.Special Features:
- Very impressiveMichaelDined on 13/8/2014Very good value and location. Perfect for pre-theatre foodSpecial Features:
- Great locationPaulDined on 13/8/2014Good food, quick service and very good value. Location in the heart of Covent Garden is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value - good foodianjamesjDined on 13/8/2014Went on 50% off food + free wine offer. Pleasantly surprised by quality of food.Special Features:
- good food but slightly loudfoodie101Dined on 12/8/2014My first key point is that the menu displayed on open table is not what was on the menu at the restaurant. This was unfortunate as we specifically chose it for the froi gras and oysters, neither of which were actually on the menu at the venue- please update this. We had a 50% off deal which was outstanding value and the food was very nice. They treated my Mum to a birthday dessert with candle which was a lovely touch. Not sure how I'd feel if wed paid full price as the restaurant is quite loud an very busy so slightly hard to get staffs attention. But with a deal I'd definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a friendCouture38Dined on 12/8/2014Very busy. We didn't get seated until 3/4 hour after our time. Food was ok. The waiting staff however were rushed off their feet as clearly the Top Table deal was popular. The place was packed. No salt and pepper on the table. They forgot our water. I would go again at a less busy time as it is good value for money but the staff were clearly not prepared for the amount of covers they had and looked stressed. The overall atmosphere was stressy and I wouldn't want to go there again in that kind of situation. The bar is horrible. Needs a serious refurb, like some New York sleazy bar. Avoid it. Though the deal was good, we ended up spending more on drinks as we had to wait 45 minutes to get seated. It's ok but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Travelzoo DealMadpaulDined on 11/8/2014We visited this restaurant with a Travelzoo deal. 3 courses and a glass of bubbly. The food was good but the portions were not over generous. If we had paid full price we would have been very very unhappy! For us the Walnut and Sultana bread was outstanding also the Lamb which was cooked to perfection. Service exceptional! Lovely to have linen tableclothes and napkins. After purchasing this deal we found that Cafe Des Amis were offering better deals than this one, but hey ho thats life!Special Features:
- Great deal!Doogs2780Dined on 11/8/2014We were looking for a reasonable place for a pre-theatre meal near the Aldwych Theatre. I didn't know of Café Des Amis but I saw it had a 50% off food with free wine deal. I was expecting to get a pretty bog standard free wine but we got a very drinkable Montepulciano and we both enjoyed our meals. Final bill came to £35 for two starters, two mains and the wine, excellent value as it was good quality! I had Moules Mariniere and they were good size mussels and a good portion. The only thing I would say was that it took a little bit longer than we were expecting and we had to dash to the theatre a bit but that was mostly our fault for not checking the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ghjkDined on 11/8/2014The food and atmosphere where both nice, but the main courses did not at all stand up to the prices. The chocolate soup was very nice.Special Features:
- Good due to discountHanneRDined on 11/8/2014With the 50% discount this place was fine but I would not pay full price for the food. Not particularly better than your average Cafe Rouge or Cote but priced much higher. Service was quite rushed with many waiters on you at all times. Would be good for a light pre theatre meal but not for any special occasions.Special Features:
- Exactly what we wantedElizabethDined on 11/8/2014Met 2 old friends for a very overdue lunch, our objective was a meal and a long gossip. Staff were very patient with us, waiting to take our order, not rushing us through courses and even better leaving us to chat for most of the afternoon. The food was very good more Italian than French, but as good as I had eaten in Florence the pervious week. Also with the deal it was great value for money. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.