Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Des Amis - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1702 reviews since 2 June 2014
pre/post theatre (995)special occasions (404)business meals (377)outstanding value (354)romance (291)group bookings (275)fit for foodies (274)sunday lunch (145)brunch (122)good vegetarian options (79)outdoor eating (61)afternoon tea (35)child friendly (28)disabled access (26)Show More
- food good but thats allYummyDined on 27/9/2014Booked the restaurant for a birthday meal out with my wife on a recommendation of a friend. The food tasted good and was presented well. The room was extremely hot even with air conditioning and windows open. The service was really bad. The staff were inattentive, never checking on us or topping up drinks etc. This made what could have been a very nice night but spoilt it.Special Features:
- A pleasant dining experienceCassiusDined on 27/9/2014Tucked away in a small passageway, we would never have found this restaurant had it not been for Opentable. The place was busy. It buzzed with conversation and the overall atmosphere was very jolly. Service was swift - we had our first two courses so quickly that we were pleased to have a slight break before we ordered our dessert. The speed did not detract from the quality of the meal, however. Our food was nicely presented and cooked to perfection. We had been to a matinee show and were looking for a pleasant dining experience, at reasonable cost, to finish off a lovely day in London. We were not disappointed. The offer of 50% discount on the first two courses attracted us and made the overall cost reasonable for a London restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre indulgenceNAHPDined on 27/9/2014We chose Cafe des Amis as it was right by the Royal Opera House. We wanted a good value meal as a treat before the opera. We were very pleased - all the food was tasty and well presented. The service was very fast but that was good for us as we needed to get to the opera. Free wine very good and service excellent. Would certainly recommend for a pre-theatre meal.Special Features:
- ChaoseatingoutDined on 26/9/2014We arrived just after our booked time of 8:30 and there was a queue out the door, all people who had tables booked, and no one at the desk giving any idea of what was going on. Eventually my friend went and asked a waitress and she said we'd have a table soon. Meanwhile someone came up from the basement bar who's booking was at 8pm and they still hadn't been given a table. Once seated our drinks came quickly but after that we had to call for service every time we wanted anything - even after the restaurant was much quieter. Organisation and service was terrible and I wouldn't recommend on that basis. The food was lovely and the offer made it a good price, but the stressful atmosphere and chaotic service doesn't make for pleasant dining.
- Cheap if in the 50% offerGaryDined on 26/9/2014Put you upstairs out the way if you're on the offer Waiter was good thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 26/9/2014Disappointing. A year ago had a great meal, now the quality of the food has become awful and not a good value for your money, deal or not. The steak was chewy and fatty and the side veg tasted defrosted. The waiter also tried to overcharge me for the wine saying that the offer had changed two days ago, even though i had booked 2 weeks ago. He had to honour that but was not very happy about it. Ruined the start of what was meant to be a great birthday evening.Special Features:
- Good ValueLondonDinerDined on 26/9/2014Went for lunch with a Groupon voucher which made it excellent value for two courses and a bottle of house wine. I had delicous fillet of sea bass as my main and they were happy to swap the gnocchi for vegetables. Very nice helpful waitress.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanieDined on 25/9/2014Prompt service useful as we were going on to theatre, food variable lamb not good. 4 of us put on a table ? for2/3 waiters had a job to pass.
- Over 60s lunch dateNorfolkgirlDined on 25/9/2014The occasion was a lunch for 8 people. We opted for the 50% off a la carte menu with bottle of wine. The offer does not specify the number of people per bottle of wine, and I would suggest diners contact the restaurant for clarification if the booking is for more than two people, it was also dependant on buying a dessert at full price (not unreasonable, and all much enjoyed). Food was all well presented, reasonable choice and good quality. For those of us who opted for steak, it was cooked as per our request. The staff were very attentive, but not overbearingly so, All of our party agreed we would be happy to repeat the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theatre mealOdetofoodDined on 24/9/2014glad I had a wowcher because I don';t think the food would be value for money otherwise, overpriced for what it was.I had the confit duck where was the skin??and the worst sin the white wine was warm!! the waitress did appologise but really for a restaurant such as yours this just should'nt happen!!! The people on the next table had warm wine too!and they too had a wowcher voucher and like us had booked!not impressed won't be going back in a hurrySpecial Features:
- Great Food at Excellent ValueSassyDined on 24/9/2014Very good food at excellent value for money with the Open Table offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theatre mealDelighteddinerDined on 23/9/2014We booked at 5pm for a pre theatre supper and had a drink at a lovely bar downstairs before going to the table. The menu was varied, and the meals that were served were delicious and all served in good time for the theatre opening. It was all good - but I would not recommend this to diners for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/9/2014Booked this as an offer online as a treat and wondered how it would turn out. Although not that busy, enough to enable staff to provide a good service which they did i.e. changed original house wine on offer to a better one with no extra charge. Staff very attentive and polite and food was good and value for the money we paid. Would go again with another offer.Special Features:
- Good value, good foodclaireVIPDined on 22/9/2014Always good food and good value, but I do have difficulty in understanding a deal that you have to have 3 courses to receive the free bottle of wine. We were charged for a bottle of wine (£20) because we didn't have dessert, but once we ordered the dessert the wine was removed from the bill - so best to order a dessert even if you don't eat it!Special Features:
- Poor service but nice foodJosephNDined on 20/9/2014The actual restaurant is definitely nice but service is poor in that the staff are really not into the whole thing. Dishes are bought out within actual minutes of ordering and you WILL be out within the hour if you don't stop them rusing. In the words of the waitress: "Your dish will be out in 2 minutes of me taking away your starter, please let them know if you want a break when they take your plate." However we waited 25 minutes to have our order taken! There's always something unavailable; either wine or a dish and the tables are very, very close together. Management are few and far between and staff are young, inexperienced and have their own dramas within the team. Staff dropped 5 dishes during our stay. Great food though! 6/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPauleDined on 20/9/2014I booked the 50% a la carte offer with free bottle of house wine. The waitress informed us that to claim the offer we would have to order 3 courses each. We only wished to have two courses. This condition was not evident when I booked the offer and I think should be made much clearer. The food was OK but the portions were smaller than I would have expected.Special Features:
- Speedy service not always welcomeJamesDined on 19/9/2014The ambiance is good, serving staff friendly, good value, the food ranged from "good" to "outstanding" - but there is such a thing as being served too fast. The first course arrived almost before the wine, the second almost before we'd finished chewing out starters. It was particularly odd as we weren't being rushed out the doors - we were given plenty of time to finish our wine and actually flagging someone down to pay wasn't the easiest. It was just almost preternaturally fast service - which was oddly unsettling. To talk briefly about the food itself... The Besolica starter was brilliant, the beef tortellini was a level above even that. The sea bass and gnochi was good, although the fish a bit overdone and the crepes outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Errors with Bill!!nicemealDined on 19/9/2014We booked the 50% off + free bottle of wine, which was for two courses. When we arrived we were told we had to have 3 courses, as they had changed their terms the day before. Nobody had informed us, otherwise I would have cancelled. We had two courses. Bill arrived for £102. Then changed for nearly £80. Finally sorted out at just under £36. Totally ruined the meal. Food ok, although pretty bland. Mushroom risotto was just a plate of stodge with little taste and even less mushrooms. Will not eat there again.
- Great food, ignore the scaffoldingMrSteakoutDined on 18/9/2014Hidden gem, food was amazing and great price (free bottle of wine that was very drinkable also!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe des Amis very nice as everjainDined on 18/9/2014The deal with 50% of food and a free bottle of wine is so good. Food is always enjoyable and the service very pleasant. My friend was new to the restaurant and was very impressed.
- Enjoyable eveningAnniePDined on 15/9/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Cafe des Amis. It was incredible value - under £40 for two courses, coffee and a botlte of wine (total bill for two people with 50% special offer) The food was it's usual good standard, the service was excellent. We were able to sit chatting without any fuss long after we had finished. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedxxxoooxxxDined on 15/9/2014A little disappointed, had a two course meal of the bar menu. Limited choice of food and not a pleasant place to eat (down in the wine bar), felt unclean and had an unpleasant smell. Water/bar tender not helping us to feel well looked after or welcome. However maybe the restaurant itself is better?!
- Best place since sliced bread.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014I have been hear many times as a group, couple and for work. CdA has never failed me, The food, service and whole experience is superb. I love how all the staff are French for a French cuisine. I would highly recommend the restaurant to all.Special Features:
- Great foodZeezeeDined on 13/9/2014I came here with a group of girls to have a nice relaxed meal on a Saturday night. We had an early booking and the restaurant was very full (and it remained that way for the rest of the evening). It's good French food and very good value with the 50% off a la carte offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value with special dealdaveeyDined on 13/9/2014Reception was not particularly friendly but the staff were. Food was good but not exceptional, the meal deal represented good value but I would not return to pay full price.
- Enjoyed it, but didn't seem frenchAweekinLondonDined on 12/9/2014Great value and tasty for the price. Did have the slight feeling of chaos though. We booked, but so had 30 other people, so there was a huge queue for people who booked. Everyone thought they were the only ones who booked so you had this chaos on arrival! They just needed better staffing on the door with the communication skills to speak to groups. One set of customers arrived 40 minutes late, barged to the front, and were told their table was 'of course' available. Rewarding this arrogant attitude and pushing compared to people who had the respect to turn up on time and wait seemed just WRONG man. Our waitress was a star though, and rescued the night after we sat down all stressed, and were placed next to the arrogant bargers...
- New chiefArtMasterDined on 12/9/2014I hadn't been to Cafe des Amis for years and was looking forward to renewing my acquantance. Working at London Fashion Week on Friday we took advantage of the 50% off deal - which is great value, but sadly the food wasn't up to it - average cooking and lazily presented. The restaurant was half empty on a Friday lunch time even with the three generous deals on offer. Cafe des Amis does not compare with the competition - I was embarrassed taking a colleague. Great location.
- GerbilDined on 10/9/2014Our second visit this year and another superb pretheatre dining experience. Exceptional value wih special offer to include a highly acceptable house wine.We thoroughly endorse the positive reviews which significantly outweigh the negative ones.we will continue to visit for the food,professional and friendly attentive service as well as the buzzy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good valueBonnebouffeDined on 10/9/2014Café des amis has become our default restaurant. My friends and I regularly meet there for and enjoyable and lenghty lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally good, disappointing steakivanDined on 10/9/2014Nice looking restaurant with a lively ambiance but not too noisy. However my steak frites, which a French restaurant should do well, was a poor cut of meat, fatty and gristly with an overpowering pepper sauce. To be fair the rest of the food was nice and well cooked.
- Good valueKashDined on 9/9/2014The Cafe Des Amis is good value with the OpenTable offer but not at full price.The restaurant is large but has a relaxing ambience and the service and food were good but nothing special. The wine list is comprehensive with something for all tastes. I would visit the restaurant again, in particular if I was after a quick pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French!???ZiggaliciousDined on 8/9/2014For a French restaurant where the staff were anything but French, this was a delightful experience. The food was delicious, the staff were very helpful and accommodating with a dash of good humour thrown in. Indeed I have no problem in recommending this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Valuefoodie101Dined on 6/9/2014Good value meal. Friendly staff. Food is good, not outstanding but its worth it with the deal. Not sure if I'd pay full price. Overall good evening.Special Features:
- AlinaAlina878Dined on 6/9/2014We had amazing time with my friend on Saturday evening. Dinner was just perfect. Nice and friendly service, good food and very attractive prices. I will defo go back and suggest everyone to visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good post theatre mealfoodieDined on 6/9/2014We opted for the 2 course set menu. The food was good, plentiful and the service fine.Special Features:
- Cafe des AmisAlbionDined on 6/9/2014Good food and great service! The restaurant was absolutely packed, but the service was very quick, which was a good job, as we has a train to catch. I can thoroughly recommend itSpecial Features:
- A French Restaurant To Be AvoidedLove2dineDined on 6/9/2014We went for the 50% off the A la Carte Menu Deal. This restaurant is now covered in scaffolding. Service is slow and chaotic. The standard of cooking conjures up peasant food at sky high prices, no wonder a 50% off deal is offered. The French onion soup was a watery broth and the seafood pasta omitted some of the ingredients. A free bottle of red/white wine is included, both were Italian, a curious choice for a French restaurant. The wine waiter insisted on giving us a French bottle of wine instead; assuring us it was better? The 50% deal is misleading - desserts are not included. This restaurant cuts far too many corners. There are plenty of first rate French restaurants in London but sadly this is not now one of them.
- PalacePalaceDined on 6/9/2014Excellent pre theatre deal staff and service exemplary and the food was lovelySpecial Features:
- Cafe Des AmisCOALDined on 6/9/2014Seven of us went to the Cafe des Amis for pre theatre dinner. The service was very good and our waiter particularly accomadating to our needs which was great as we had a young baby in our group. On the whole everyone enjoyed their food although the mussles we a little bland in honest. They still need a wider selction of beers and should sell pints! No baby change facilities in either Mens or Womens toilets.Special Features:
- Beware the special offerJillVIPDined on 6/9/2014We booked a table for 6 on the "50% off a la carte and a bottle of free house wine" special offer. However the offer does not specify how many bottles of house wine. We were informed that it was one bottle per table and the waiter cheerfully said that if we were sat at 3 tables then we would have one bottle between 2 but as we were at a table for 6 it was one bottle between 6! The manager apparently confirmed this but we mentioned that we would be writing a review and perhaps some compromise was advisable and could we actually speak to the manager. He duly appeared and relunctantly agreed to a second bottle, we advised they need to clarify the special offer and make it a bit more sensible. Food OK but they were very busy. Has put us off