Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Des Amis - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1712 reviews since 26 May 2014
pre/post theatre (998)special occasions (412)business meals (375)outstanding value (351)romance (299)fit for foodies (276)group bookings (274)sunday lunch (148)brunch (123)good vegetarian options (78)outdoor eating (61)afternoon tea (36)child friendly (28)disabled access (26)Show More
- Poor service but nice foodJosephNDined on 20/9/2014The actual restaurant is definitely nice but service is poor in that the staff are really not into the whole thing. Dishes are bought out within actual minutes of ordering and you WILL be out within the hour if you don't stop them rusing. In the words of the waitress: "Your dish will be out in 2 minutes of me taking away your starter, please let them know if you want a break when they take your plate." However we waited 25 minutes to have our order taken! There's always something unavailable; either wine or a dish and the tables are very, very close together. Management are few and far between and staff are young, inexperienced and have their own dramas within the team. Staff dropped 5 dishes during our stay. Great food though! 6/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPauleDined on 20/9/2014I booked the 50% a la carte offer with free bottle of house wine. The waitress informed us that to claim the offer we would have to order 3 courses each. We only wished to have two courses. This condition was not evident when I booked the offer and I think should be made much clearer. The food was OK but the portions were smaller than I would have expected.Special Features:
- Speedy service not always welcomeJamesDined on 19/9/2014The ambiance is good, serving staff friendly, good value, the food ranged from "good" to "outstanding" - but there is such a thing as being served too fast. The first course arrived almost before the wine, the second almost before we'd finished chewing out starters. It was particularly odd as we weren't being rushed out the doors - we were given plenty of time to finish our wine and actually flagging someone down to pay wasn't the easiest. It was just almost preternaturally fast service - which was oddly unsettling. To talk briefly about the food itself... The Besolica starter was brilliant, the beef tortellini was a level above even that. The sea bass and gnochi was good, although the fish a bit overdone and the crepes outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Errors with Bill!!nicemealDined on 19/9/2014We booked the 50% off + free bottle of wine, which was for two courses. When we arrived we were told we had to have 3 courses, as they had changed their terms the day before. Nobody had informed us, otherwise I would have cancelled. We had two courses. Bill arrived for £102. Then changed for nearly £80. Finally sorted out at just under £36. Totally ruined the meal. Food ok, although pretty bland. Mushroom risotto was just a plate of stodge with little taste and even less mushrooms. Will not eat there again.
- Great food, ignore the scaffoldingMrSteakoutDined on 18/9/2014Hidden gem, food was amazing and great price (free bottle of wine that was very drinkable also!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe des Amis very nice as everjainDined on 18/9/2014The deal with 50% of food and a free bottle of wine is so good. Food is always enjoyable and the service very pleasant. My friend was new to the restaurant and was very impressed.
- Enjoyable eveningAnniePDined on 15/9/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Cafe des Amis. It was incredible value - under £40 for two courses, coffee and a botlte of wine (total bill for two people with 50% special offer) The food was it's usual good standard, the service was excellent. We were able to sit chatting without any fuss long after we had finished. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedxxxoooxxxDined on 15/9/2014A little disappointed, had a two course meal of the bar menu. Limited choice of food and not a pleasant place to eat (down in the wine bar), felt unclean and had an unpleasant smell. Water/bar tender not helping us to feel well looked after or welcome. However maybe the restaurant itself is better?!
- Best place since sliced bread.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014I have been hear many times as a group, couple and for work. CdA has never failed me, The food, service and whole experience is superb. I love how all the staff are French for a French cuisine. I would highly recommend the restaurant to all.Special Features:
- Great foodZeezeeDined on 13/9/2014I came here with a group of girls to have a nice relaxed meal on a Saturday night. We had an early booking and the restaurant was very full (and it remained that way for the rest of the evening). It's good French food and very good value with the 50% off a la carte offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value with special dealdaveeyDined on 13/9/2014Reception was not particularly friendly but the staff were. Food was good but not exceptional, the meal deal represented good value but I would not return to pay full price.
- Enjoyed it, but didn't seem frenchAweekinLondonDined on 12/9/2014Great value and tasty for the price. Did have the slight feeling of chaos though. We booked, but so had 30 other people, so there was a huge queue for people who booked. Everyone thought they were the only ones who booked so you had this chaos on arrival! They just needed better staffing on the door with the communication skills to speak to groups. One set of customers arrived 40 minutes late, barged to the front, and were told their table was 'of course' available. Rewarding this arrogant attitude and pushing compared to people who had the respect to turn up on time and wait seemed just WRONG man. Our waitress was a star though, and rescued the night after we sat down all stressed, and were placed next to the arrogant bargers...
- New chiefArtMasterDined on 12/9/2014I hadn't been to Cafe des Amis for years and was looking forward to renewing my acquantance. Working at London Fashion Week on Friday we took advantage of the 50% off deal - which is great value, but sadly the food wasn't up to it - average cooking and lazily presented. The restaurant was half empty on a Friday lunch time even with the three generous deals on offer. Cafe des Amis does not compare with the competition - I was embarrassed taking a colleague. Great location.
- GerbilDined on 10/9/2014Our second visit this year and another superb pretheatre dining experience. Exceptional value wih special offer to include a highly acceptable house wine.We thoroughly endorse the positive reviews which significantly outweigh the negative ones.we will continue to visit for the food,professional and friendly attentive service as well as the buzzy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good valueBonnebouffeDined on 10/9/2014Café des amis has become our default restaurant. My friends and I regularly meet there for and enjoyable and lenghty lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally good, disappointing steakivanDined on 10/9/2014Nice looking restaurant with a lively ambiance but not too noisy. However my steak frites, which a French restaurant should do well, was a poor cut of meat, fatty and gristly with an overpowering pepper sauce. To be fair the rest of the food was nice and well cooked.
- Good valueKashDined on 9/9/2014The Cafe Des Amis is good value with the OpenTable offer but not at full price.The restaurant is large but has a relaxing ambience and the service and food were good but nothing special. The wine list is comprehensive with something for all tastes. I would visit the restaurant again, in particular if I was after a quick pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French!???ZiggaliciousDined on 8/9/2014For a French restaurant where the staff were anything but French, this was a delightful experience. The food was delicious, the staff were very helpful and accommodating with a dash of good humour thrown in. Indeed I have no problem in recommending this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Valuefoodie101Dined on 6/9/2014Good value meal. Friendly staff. Food is good, not outstanding but its worth it with the deal. Not sure if I'd pay full price. Overall good evening.Special Features:
- AlinaAlina878Dined on 6/9/2014We had amazing time with my friend on Saturday evening. Dinner was just perfect. Nice and friendly service, good food and very attractive prices. I will defo go back and suggest everyone to visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good post theatre mealfoodieDined on 6/9/2014We opted for the 2 course set menu. The food was good, plentiful and the service fine.Special Features:
- Cafe des AmisAlbionDined on 6/9/2014Good food and great service! The restaurant was absolutely packed, but the service was very quick, which was a good job, as we has a train to catch. I can thoroughly recommend itSpecial Features:
- A French Restaurant To Be AvoidedLove2dineDined on 6/9/2014We went for the 50% off the A la Carte Menu Deal. This restaurant is now covered in scaffolding. Service is slow and chaotic. The standard of cooking conjures up peasant food at sky high prices, no wonder a 50% off deal is offered. The French onion soup was a watery broth and the seafood pasta omitted some of the ingredients. A free bottle of red/white wine is included, both were Italian, a curious choice for a French restaurant. The wine waiter insisted on giving us a French bottle of wine instead; assuring us it was better? The 50% deal is misleading - desserts are not included. This restaurant cuts far too many corners. There are plenty of first rate French restaurants in London but sadly this is not now one of them.
- PalacePalaceDined on 6/9/2014Excellent pre theatre deal staff and service exemplary and the food was lovelySpecial Features:
- Cafe Des AmisCOALDined on 6/9/2014Seven of us went to the Cafe des Amis for pre theatre dinner. The service was very good and our waiter particularly accomadating to our needs which was great as we had a young baby in our group. On the whole everyone enjoyed their food although the mussles we a little bland in honest. They still need a wider selction of beers and should sell pints! No baby change facilities in either Mens or Womens toilets.Special Features:
- Beware the special offerJillVIPDined on 6/9/2014We booked a table for 6 on the "50% off a la carte and a bottle of free house wine" special offer. However the offer does not specify how many bottles of house wine. We were informed that it was one bottle per table and the waiter cheerfully said that if we were sat at 3 tables then we would have one bottle between 2 but as we were at a table for 6 it was one bottle between 6! The manager apparently confirmed this but we mentioned that we would be writing a review and perhaps some compromise was advisable and could we actually speak to the manager. He duly appeared and relunctantly agreed to a second bottle, we advised they need to clarify the special offer and make it a bit more sensible. Food OK but they were very busy. Has put us off
- Great ValueVbparDined on 6/9/2014Great offer: 50% off Starters and Mains. Plus free bottle of house wine. We had two courses and a bottle of wine which tasted lovely for £20 per head. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special hereDave321Dined on 5/9/2014All round very disappointing. The best part was good which was just very average.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014We have been a bit disappointed as our expectations were quite high after reading all the good reviews. We found the food to be only average. Also, we felt kind of rushed. For example, we had just gotten our starter when the main meal already arrived. On a positive note, the waitress was very friendly, and our Tastecard got accepted on a Friday night. However, we will probably not be back.Special Features:
- DisappointingFionaDined on 5/9/2014The first disappointment was that the menu was very different from that shown on opentable. No steak tartare, dauphinois potatoes, interesting fish dishes and the only steak was an entrecôte. My friend had the duck salad which was ok and I had smoked salmon roulades... Again ok, but nothing about either at all.... Nothing you couldn't easily do yourself. My friend then had the entrecôte and told me it was about the worst steak he had ever had. I had the beef ravioli which was lovely except the "pancetta" in the sauce was clearly tinned ham. It was only ok because it was 50% off with free wine (a decent bottle too) but anyone who paid full price would be sorely disappointed
- Pleasant eveningCharlotteVIPDined on 5/9/2014First time in a long time I have been here and the meal has been good - but glad I persevered as it is convenient for the theatres and the food is pretty good!
- Good value West End suppernameranonVIPDined on 5/9/2014A cosy venue in a great location, that catered for a diner with Coeliac's disease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- multiple visit smattfaithDined on 5/9/2014Have been to this restaurant several times always good food always excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50% off = good value eveningSusieQ01Dined on 4/9/2014This was my 2nd visit to Cafe Des Amis. It's convenient for meeting up with my girlfriends as it's central. The food is nice - not amazing but enjoyable. I had the seabass with gnocci which was delicious, my friend has the entrecote steak which was a bit fatty and my other friend had the tuna steak which she very much enjoyed. The opentable deal included a bottle of house wine which made this a good value evening. Without the deal the bill would have felt a bit over-priced compared to the quality. But all-in-all a good evening and we would go back with another 50% off deal.Special Features:
- BucksVIPDined on 4/9/2014A good meal in congenial surroundings. Service a bit slow this time. William Champion
- Food was averageLiverpoolDined on 3/9/2014This is my 4 time I been to the restuarant. This time is a birthday dinner. Firstable they put us a table in the corner of the restaurant where other tables are free, I thought we should at least be in the middle of the restaurant. Secondable the food is quite poor, my Liver was cold and the quality of the food is overprices.Special Features:
- Don't order the crepes!frankcatVIPDined on 3/9/2014lovely meal apart from the cold chewy crepes which we had to send back twice!!! plus a small issue with the 50% off food deal, which they tried to say didn't include desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre choiceLoveFoodVIPDined on 3/9/2014It had been a while since I had visited and Cafe des Amis still provides good food and surroundings. I chose the pre theatre set menu which had reasonable choices although many of the main courses had a supplement which is a bit misleading from the initial price of £16.50 for 2 courses. The a la carte menu is a little pricey so best to use an offer (which includes a bottle of wine) but you do need to have 2 people and I was dining alone on this occasion. Would still recommend for pre theatre.Special Features:
- Worth a try. Shame on details.ManabouttownDined on 3/9/2014Café des Amis tries to attract customers through frequent OpenTable special offers, most notably a free bottle of house wine and half price starters and mains (though not desserts). It would be over-priced without the offers. It is reasonable value with. The menu is the essentially the same day to day, with Italian dishes outnumbering French despite the restaurant name. White linen tablecloths, more than the usual minimum spacing between the tables, and a reasonable décor and ambience, make for a pleasant experience. Ask to sit inside on the ground floor: outside tables on the street are narrow and you can't be sure to catch a waiter's attention; upstairs can be stuffy. The shame is that hot food is served on cold plates.Special Features:
- Great food, rushed servicejh55VIPDined on 2/9/2014Good atmosphere and nice food but the service is almost too efficient - our starters arrived 3 minutes after ordering and the mains literally as soon as the starter plates were cleared away. I get the need for table turning in busy restaurants but you don't want to feel rushed - otherwise good good and good value, especially with the 50% off deal.Special Features: