Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7379 3444
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Des Amis - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1608 reviews since 22 November 2013
pre/post theatre (956)special occasions (373)outstanding value (344)business meals (344)group bookings (269)romance (265)fit for foodies (250)sunday lunch (146)brunch (113)good vegetarian options (75)outdoor eating (61)afternoon tea (36)child friendly (29)disabled access (26)Show More
- Great group pre theatre mealcitygirlVIPDined on 20/11/2014Great pre theatre meal for 10 people. Good value, enjoyable meal, served promptly so we could fit in 3 courses. The offer was very good value, too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely FRench foodCilceDined on 19/11/2014We enjoyed our pre-theater diner at Cafe des Amis. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a let downRockieDVIPDined on 18/11/2014Wasn't expecting crunchy blinis nor a dirty plate. Also would have liked to have been able to pick between menus.
- pretheatre mealLouisDined on 17/11/2014good food and wine Initial service from maitr D poor didnt know the menu too long delay in ordering food not in command .Final waiter ?polish excellent .v professiobal quick and couteouis-would maka better maitre dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misrepresentationbalibotsDined on 16/11/2014when we booked the offer for 50% off, i read all the small print and details precisely, and then on arrival they informed us that it only applies if both diners are having a full 3 course cavalcade on the a-la-carte menu! this has never been the case in any other offers i have received. we had to travel some way to get there, so to find out it was a con of sorts ruined our day. beware specials, and call to get full restrictions every time, if you don't want nasty surprises on arrival.Special Features:
- disappointing compared to usualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/11/2014The host at the front desk was unfriendly and in a bad mood when we arrived and it spoilt what was mean't to be a treat for myself and my two friends. It was not up to it's normal standard in terms of the food or the service so I will be giving the restaurant a break and trying somewhere new for the time being. It's a shame as it this has been my favourite restaurant for the last year and I have spent every special occasion there including my birthday and my wedding anniversary.
- Great food but staff need to step up!LindylouDined on 15/11/2014Went here on an offer, 50% of starter and main, full price dessert and free bottle of house wine. The food was very good but the staff didn't seem to know too much about what they were serving! My friend asked if they had southern comfort and the waiter didn't have a clue what it was. We waited a long time for starters but they were very good when they arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe des amisaggie1Dined on 15/11/2014The 50% off food and free bottle of wine made it a reasonably priced meal. Food was lovely, although the Risotto starter was barely warm.Special Features:
- Inconsistent ExperiencesangloVIPDined on 15/11/2014Unfortunately, after having eaten there previously and loving it, this time was highly disappointing. The Seafood pasta tasted of nothing and the ravioli were solved close to cold. The service was great however, and take 2 was a little better. However, this has been the second time where the usually delicious food was inconsistent and disappointing. If you do go there on a good day, the food and menu are outstanding !Special Features:
- Cafe des amisRatty58Dined on 15/11/20146 of us met for lunch at Cafe des Amis today. It was the first time we had visited and were very pleased with our meal. We arrived early but that didn't present any problem and had a bottle of wine before we ordered food. Water was offered immediately and the service throughout was attentive and cheerful. The food was very reasonably priced and served promptly. Although the restaurant was busy, we were not put under any pressure at all to vacate our table. A very pleasant experience and somewhere we would certainly return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe des Amis still great post theatre!geoffraysiDined on 14/11/2014After a concert 12 of us descended on an old favourite for a late night night supper and were well accommodated despite not enough time to take up the 50% 3 course offer. Everyone's food was very good and enjoyed particularly sea food pasta, steaks and ravioli. House wine still good and staff were very attentive even though we were last to leave. One of Covent Garden's finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great value for moneynehasDined on 14/11/2014Really enjoyed Cafe des Amis - the food was great and it is good value for money on the Opentable deal. It's very busy/loud/rushed, so I wouldn't think it's worth it at full price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe des amisdaniel123Dined on 14/11/2014The food was ok and the atmosphere as well. Service very good and the value is just all right. Nothing good nothing bad - a regular french restaurantSpecial Features:
- Much the same as usual ie good.RTRTDined on 14/11/2014I like the Cd'A. The nearest thing to a real brasserie that I have found other than ' Cote '. It nearly always has a buzz, is always friendly and unpretentious and the food is not bad at all. But it is only good value if you go on a 50% off offer. Fortunately there seem to be quite a few such.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick and politeSteveosbox31Dined on 13/11/2014Took a friend to this restuarant and started the eveningin the basement bar, champagne cocktails were great but there is a bit of funny smell in the bar. Popped up to the restuarnt and was shown t our table, slight drag about the tabgle was it was near the kitchen door, however I did only book it a couple of hours earlier. Food was good, tuna steak lightly done with asparagus and sweet potato mash, all bery standard fayre. Wine list is good. Would go back again for a quick bite to eat with no fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeGingerDined on 12/11/2014Great for pre theatre meal, staff attentive and very friendly. Great deal with wine included. Only thing was horrible drain smell upon entry and coming from downstairs when visiting the loo. Couldn't smell it when we were seated though. Just hope their kitchens were OK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesuz1VIPDined on 11/11/2014Try to not sit in bar area which is in the basement, it's ok in the bar area but ground floor or first floor is better, p,us different food menu EnjoyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ann HAnnieDined on 11/11/2014Eaten here a few times now and consistently lovely food and wine. very efficiient pretheatre meal this time and lovely friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable experience for central Londons83nVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had good food but it was not great, the location is perfect but competition is high and therefore slightly disappointed on the food. The service was fantastic thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We were put in a corner upstairs where they must put people with Groupon VouchersSpecial Features:
- Sunday LunchmeetthefamilyDined on 9/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, plenty of choice on the Sunday lunch menu and very helpful in dealing with one of our party who has food intolerances. At times it was a bit noisy as it was fully booked. The service was good but a bit slow at times because of the number of diners. Overall, a great place to meet as it is so convenient for public transport and shopping before and after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing amazing but quite OKLeeloo25Dined on 8/11/2014service is really slow and not the most friendly location is great for a pre or post theatre dinner food is good but far from amazingSpecial Features:
- Very disappointingsangioveseDined on 8/11/2014I am afraid that this confirmed our worst fears about west end dining. It was a dining supermarket with no character at all. Speed was of the essence as far as the staff were concerned and despite having just watched a play... we discussed the profits being made whilst surmising what the business rates would be. The food was cheap and poor with small portions. Wine very overpriced. Third restaurant we have tried in this area in three months but by far the worst. There are cheap, characterful French style bistros in and around Covent Garden which serve up decent food....this isnt one of them. AVOID!
- DinnerJaRoDined on 8/11/2014Felt it was not as good as previous experiences. Very busy with Theatre dinners. Even with 50% off plus free wine the bill was £280 for 6 people and I don't think this was a good deal. The offer was a bottle of wine for 2 but we had to push to get 2 bottle for 6 when I feel we should have had 3 bottles for 6. Staff didn't seem to know the offer. Apart from that the food was reasonable not great but the staff friendly.
- Good food. Great valueluv2dineVIPDined on 7/11/2014We have been to cafe des Amis several times. We keep coming back because the food is good, great value and perfect locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KemcDined on 7/11/2014Great food and service and good value for a West End restaurant on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysSoozDined on 7/11/2014I have been to Café des Amis on a number of occassions and have always found it a pleasant experience. This time, we only had 45 mins. (pre-theatre) but the staff took the time frame on board and made sure that everything ran smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loosing its lustreprrdDined on 6/11/2014Was told table was not ready and would not be fro some time, service was adequate but did not shine and staff had to be asked a second time - not what I remember form earlier visits.
- DisappointingFoodieDined on 6/11/2014My favourite London restaurant- but the service on Thursday was terrible. Not busy and there were plenty of staff but very inattentive. Waited ages for drinks and to order food. A requested jug of water was one glass- no refills. Couldn't get the bill and certainly couldn't pay-, had to leave cash on the table and walk out- and STILL nobody came near us!! Has NEVER been like this before- but the food was fab as usual!Special Features:
- Good pre theatre mealBusinessluncherDined on 5/11/2014The set menu has a good selection and the food and wine were tasty. Beware when you are in a rush it is sometimes slow to get someone's attention to get the bill and pay! But food is great and the ambience is very pleasant. RecommendedSpecial Features:
- First time good. Second time bad!FermateraDined on 5/11/2014I've been to this restaurant once and had a good experience. Service was very friendly and food was very good. Decided to book a second time with friends. Booked the same deal, but this time, the experience was not good. The waiter said the soup of the day was not good. So, one of my friends tried the onion soup, and said was not good at all. We all ordered the ravioli, which came cold, and seemed to be the cheapest one you could find a supermarket. Including the tomato sauce that tasted liked industrialised. The deal included a glass of wine. When we ordered the wine, the waiter and the manager tried to say it was not included. They just served it when I showed the email whith the details of the booking. Felt ashmed taking my friends there
- Cafe des AmisGayparisDined on 4/11/2014A friend recommended Café des Amis as somewhere with pleasant surroundings, nice food and pleasant staff. We actually arrived at the restaurant a little early but they were very good at accommodating us. Our waiter was pleasant and provided us with menus and drinks while we made our choice. The food, which was very tasty came fairly quickly after we ordered and was served hot. Normally we would have relaxed a bit after the meal, but on this occasion we were slightly stuck for time. We asked for the bill, which took a while to arrive and I had to chase it up. This was being a little critical as we would normally have relaxed. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good food, good surroundings and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- diner22Dined on 4/11/2014Excellent food, service was a bit slow but it was busy.Special Features:
- RudeMonFredDined on 4/11/2014The blond girl who seems to manage the place was incredibly rude when I arrived and when we asked for the bill. The rest of the service was ok but her attitude ruined the experience. I will not go back there again.Special Features:
- Meeting up with friendsAmandaDined on 2/11/2014Met up with friends and enjoyed chatting and enjoying the meal. We had the 50% offer inclusive of a bottle of house wine which made the meal reasonable. The food was good and the ambiance relaxed and conducive to talking and relaxing.Special Features:
- Sunday RoastWillDined on 2/11/2014My sister and I availed of the complimentary roast dinner for 2 when enjoying 2 courses and a bottle of wine offer. The distinctly average food made this one of the most forgetful dinning experiences of my time in London. The Staff were somewhat welcoming but their presentation was poor. One waiter had a large black thread hanging from his tie while another waitress had a hole in her shirt. I had calamari to start which was bland and somewhat cold. The roast chicken was presented poorly while being passable and the marinated pineapple for dessert was sliced too thin for my liking. I would not recommend this restaurant despite any discount on offer.
- luddersDined on 2/11/2014Took up the offer from the restaurant of a Sunday Roast for 2 when purchasing a bottle of wine. The wine choice was good and not expensive and the lunch itself was plentiful and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch dealLoveFoodVIPDined on 2/11/2014Used the 2 free lunches with a bottle of wine deal. The lunch was nice although the roast beef was more like a steak. So would definitely do the deal again as otherwise it would be an expensive lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodwillyeatDined on 2/11/2014We came here for a family Sunday meal, with the 50% off food deal. I wasn't put off by the reviews of the bad service, and I am glad I didn't listen to them (though my parents were worried). The service was excellent, attentive, quick and friendly. The food was delicious (my beef was cooked perfectly), and we left very satisfied. I have been to better restaurants but the reason I am giving it 5 stars is that I couldn't fault it for what it is. I would say, however, that without a deal I don't think I'd be happy with the price. £24 for a lamb main is too much. Would happily go back here again.Special Features:
- Cafe Des Amis, Covent GardenSusieDined on 1/11/2014Very enjoyable evening, delicious food, very busy but service still quite good. Excellent value for money with the Travelzoo deal. The only negative was that the tables were a bit too close together.Special Features: