Cafe Des Amis
11-14 Hanover Place
London, WC2E 9JPNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamis.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073793444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 12pm – 11:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Renou
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Tucked away from the vibrancy of Covent Garden and London's theatre district lies the cosy and romantic Café des Amis. We invite you to enter the warmth of our restaurant, and to experience exquisite French cuisine served with passion and finesse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Des Amis - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
1713 reviews since 21 May 2014
pre/post theatre (999)special occasions (418)business meals (382)outstanding value (347)romance (300)fit for foodies (279)group bookings (274)sunday lunch (150)brunch (125)good vegetarian options (79)outdoor eating (62)afternoon tea (36)child friendly (28)disabled access (26)Show More
- Not quite what we expectedxxxoooxxxDined on 15/9/2014A little disappointed, had a two course meal of the bar menu. Limited choice of food and not a pleasant place to eat (down in the wine bar), felt unclean and had an unpleasant smell. Water/bar tender not helping us to feel well looked after or welcome. However maybe the restaurant itself is better?!
- Best place since sliced bread.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014I have been hear many times as a group, couple and for work. CdA has never failed me, The food, service and whole experience is superb. I love how all the staff are French for a French cuisine. I would highly recommend the restaurant to all.Special Features:
- good value with special dealdaveeyDined on 13/9/2014Reception was not particularly friendly but the staff were. Food was good but not exceptional, the meal deal represented good value but I would not return to pay full price.
- Enjoyed it, but didn't seem frenchAweekinLondonDined on 12/9/2014Great value and tasty for the price. Did have the slight feeling of chaos though. We booked, but so had 30 other people, so there was a huge queue for people who booked. Everyone thought they were the only ones who booked so you had this chaos on arrival! They just needed better staffing on the door with the communication skills to speak to groups. One set of customers arrived 40 minutes late, barged to the front, and were told their table was 'of course' available. Rewarding this arrogant attitude and pushing compared to people who had the respect to turn up on time and wait seemed just WRONG man. Our waitress was a star though, and rescued the night after we sat down all stressed, and were placed next to the arrogant bargers...
- New chiefArtMasterDined on 12/9/2014I hadn't been to Cafe des Amis for years and was looking forward to renewing my acquantance. Working at London Fashion Week on Friday we took advantage of the 50% off deal - which is great value, but sadly the food wasn't up to it - average cooking and lazily presented. The restaurant was half empty on a Friday lunch time even with the three generous deals on offer. Cafe des Amis does not compare with the competition - I was embarrassed taking a colleague. Great location.
- GerbilDined on 10/9/2014Our second visit this year and another superb pretheatre dining experience. Exceptional value wih special offer to include a highly acceptable house wine.We thoroughly endorse the positive reviews which significantly outweigh the negative ones.we will continue to visit for the food,professional and friendly attentive service as well as the buzzy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good valueBonnebouffeDined on 10/9/2014Café des amis has become our default restaurant. My friends and I regularly meet there for and enjoyable and lenghty lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally good, disappointing steakivanDined on 10/9/2014Nice looking restaurant with a lively ambiance but not too noisy. However my steak frites, which a French restaurant should do well, was a poor cut of meat, fatty and gristly with an overpowering pepper sauce. To be fair the rest of the food was nice and well cooked.
- Good valueKashDined on 9/9/2014The Cafe Des Amis is good value with the OpenTable offer but not at full price.The restaurant is large but has a relaxing ambience and the service and food were good but nothing special. The wine list is comprehensive with something for all tastes. I would visit the restaurant again, in particular if I was after a quick pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Valuefoodie101Dined on 6/9/2014Good value meal. Friendly staff. Food is good, not outstanding but its worth it with the deal. Not sure if I'd pay full price. Overall good evening.Special Features:
- AlinaAlina878Dined on 6/9/2014We had amazing time with my friend on Saturday evening. Dinner was just perfect. Nice and friendly service, good food and very attractive prices. I will defo go back and suggest everyone to visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good post theatre mealfoodieDined on 6/9/2014We opted for the 2 course set menu. The food was good, plentiful and the service fine.Special Features:
- Cafe des AmisAlbionDined on 6/9/2014Good food and great service! The restaurant was absolutely packed, but the service was very quick, which was a good job, as we has a train to catch. I can thoroughly recommend itSpecial Features:
- A French Restaurant To Be AvoidedLove2dineDined on 6/9/2014We went for the 50% off the A la Carte Menu Deal. This restaurant is now covered in scaffolding. Service is slow and chaotic. The standard of cooking conjures up peasant food at sky high prices, no wonder a 50% off deal is offered. The French onion soup was a watery broth and the seafood pasta omitted some of the ingredients. A free bottle of red/white wine is included, both were Italian, a curious choice for a French restaurant. The wine waiter insisted on giving us a French bottle of wine instead; assuring us it was better? The 50% deal is misleading - desserts are not included. This restaurant cuts far too many corners. There are plenty of first rate French restaurants in London but sadly this is not now one of them.
- PalacePalaceDined on 6/9/2014Excellent pre theatre deal staff and service exemplary and the food was lovelySpecial Features:
- Beware the special offerJillVIPDined on 6/9/2014We booked a table for 6 on the "50% off a la carte and a bottle of free house wine" special offer. However the offer does not specify how many bottles of house wine. We were informed that it was one bottle per table and the waiter cheerfully said that if we were sat at 3 tables then we would have one bottle between 2 but as we were at a table for 6 it was one bottle between 6! The manager apparently confirmed this but we mentioned that we would be writing a review and perhaps some compromise was advisable and could we actually speak to the manager. He duly appeared and relunctantly agreed to a second bottle, we advised they need to clarify the special offer and make it a bit more sensible. Food OK but they were very busy. Has put us off
- Great ValueVbparDined on 6/9/2014Great offer: 50% off Starters and Mains. Plus free bottle of house wine. We had two courses and a bottle of wine which tasted lovely for £20 per head. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special hereDave321Dined on 5/9/2014All round very disappointing. The best part was good which was just very average.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014We have been a bit disappointed as our expectations were quite high after reading all the good reviews. We found the food to be only average. Also, we felt kind of rushed. For example, we had just gotten our starter when the main meal already arrived. On a positive note, the waitress was very friendly, and our Tastecard got accepted on a Friday night. However, we will probably not be back.Special Features:
- DisappointingFionaDined on 5/9/2014The first disappointment was that the menu was very different from that shown on opentable. No steak tartare, dauphinois potatoes, interesting fish dishes and the only steak was an entrecôte. My friend had the duck salad which was ok and I had smoked salmon roulades... Again ok, but nothing about either at all.... Nothing you couldn't easily do yourself. My friend then had the entrecôte and told me it was about the worst steak he had ever had. I had the beef ravioli which was lovely except the "pancetta" in the sauce was clearly tinned ham. It was only ok because it was 50% off with free wine (a decent bottle too) but anyone who paid full price would be sorely disappointed
- Pleasant eveningCharlotteVIPDined on 5/9/2014First time in a long time I have been here and the meal has been good - but glad I persevered as it is convenient for the theatres and the food is pretty good!
- Good value West End suppernameranonVIPDined on 5/9/2014A cosy venue in a great location, that catered for a diner with Coeliac's disease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- multiple visit smattfaithDined on 5/9/2014Have been to this restaurant several times always good food always excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50% off = good value eveningSusieQ01Dined on 4/9/2014This was my 2nd visit to Cafe Des Amis. It's convenient for meeting up with my girlfriends as it's central. The food is nice - not amazing but enjoyable. I had the seabass with gnocci which was delicious, my friend has the entrecote steak which was a bit fatty and my other friend had the tuna steak which she very much enjoyed. The opentable deal included a bottle of house wine which made this a good value evening. Without the deal the bill would have felt a bit over-priced compared to the quality. But all-in-all a good evening and we would go back with another 50% off deal.Special Features:
- BucksVIPDined on 4/9/2014A good meal in congenial surroundings. Service a bit slow this time. William Champion
- Food was averageLiverpoolDined on 3/9/2014This is my 4 time I been to the restuarant. This time is a birthday dinner. Firstable they put us a table in the corner of the restaurant where other tables are free, I thought we should at least be in the middle of the restaurant. Secondable the food is quite poor, my Liver was cold and the quality of the food is overprices.Special Features:
- Don't order the crepes!frankcatVIPDined on 3/9/2014lovely meal apart from the cold chewy crepes which we had to send back twice!!! plus a small issue with the 50% off food deal, which they tried to say didn't include desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre choiceLoveFoodVIPDined on 3/9/2014It had been a while since I had visited and Cafe des Amis still provides good food and surroundings. I chose the pre theatre set menu which had reasonable choices although many of the main courses had a supplement which is a bit misleading from the initial price of £16.50 for 2 courses. The a la carte menu is a little pricey so best to use an offer (which includes a bottle of wine) but you do need to have 2 people and I was dining alone on this occasion. Would still recommend for pre theatre.Special Features:
- Worth a try. Shame on details.ManabouttownDined on 3/9/2014Café des Amis tries to attract customers through frequent OpenTable special offers, most notably a free bottle of house wine and half price starters and mains (though not desserts). It would be over-priced without the offers. It is reasonable value with. The menu is the essentially the same day to day, with Italian dishes outnumbering French despite the restaurant name. White linen tablecloths, more than the usual minimum spacing between the tables, and a reasonable décor and ambience, make for a pleasant experience. Ask to sit inside on the ground floor: outside tables on the street are narrow and you can't be sure to catch a waiter's attention; upstairs can be stuffy. The shame is that hot food is served on cold plates.Special Features:
- Great food, rushed servicejh55VIPDined on 2/9/2014Good atmosphere and nice food but the service is almost too efficient - our starters arrived 3 minutes after ordering and the mains literally as soon as the starter plates were cleared away. I get the need for table turning in busy restaurants but you don't want to feel rushed - otherwise good good and good value, especially with the 50% off deal.Special Features:
- Another excellent mealLoftDined on 2/9/2014We visit Café des Amis fairly regularly because we like the ambience, the food and wine are good value and the service is excellent. Once again we had an excellent meal and were well looked afterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brightening up a wet Monday ...FrankiefeastingDined on 1/9/2014Years ago I used to work in Covent Garden but had not been to this restaurant since, so there was a fair amount of nostalgia in this visit with my daughter. It felt right from the moment we arrived - friendly and very good service. Food was typically French mainstream and atmosphere was warm and relaxed. Very good value, particularly with the 50% deal on food, and the house wine was pleasant enough. Cocktails - a dry Martini and a Whisky Sour - were good too, as we lingered over a Creme Brulee with two spoons. It is a busy little restaurant and isn't a fine dining experience, but it is classic good food, good atmosphere and good value. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Dinner at cafe des AmisFat22Dined on 30/8/2014It is a nice place but the service was very poor, no respect for the customers. The starters were very blend and the main was ok. Glad it was on the deal if I was paying the full price I would have sent the food back.
- French or Italian restaurant?TaronjaBerryDined on 30/8/2014I came here before and it was French style and delicious. My surprise was when saw the menu and the food is very Italian, many dishes with pasta or wild mushroom risotto, which we tried as starter as tasted like plain boil rice, even my Seabass had gnocchi as part or the garnish, which was fine. My parter ordered beef tortellini and he felt the portion was nice and short. But the worst thing was we had to sit by kitchen and we could hear the bell all night long from the chef calling for service, doesn't help for a romantic and quite dinner, and on top of that, we had to move our table to let another couple sitdown... we suppose to get 50% discount on food and a free bottle of wine and we had to mention it when the bill arrive 20min later
- Cafe des Amis for 10th anniversaryRihsadraDined on 29/8/2014Partner & I wanted to celebrate 10th anniversary but on a budget. We found this restaurant on Open Table and the deal offered was too good to pass up. Apprehensive as sometimes on these deals you feel a little like a "second class" diner but there was no need to worry. Service was attentive without being overly intrusive.. Place was a lively West End place without being poncy. Food was great, the courgette soup was so tasty that for a few minutes all you heard was 2 people slurping. Main course tuna steaks very tastily prepared. We felt we did our anniversary justice. Considering it was 2 tasty courses each @ 50% off plus free bottle of wine in West End on a Friday night (<£30 w/o tip for 2!!!) , I'd say this is probably the best deal on OTSpecial Features:
- Good for pre-theatreLanaDined on 29/8/2014The 50% off the menu with a complimentary bottle of house wine is great value, but as the deal is on 7 days a week I presume this is the standard price to pay rather than the menu prices. I would not have paid full price for the food as it was OK/average, but you definitely get what you pay for so I can't really complain. Cheap and quick-good for pre-theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchDDaleDined on 29/8/2014We dined on the 50% off for two courses - starter and main only. The food was good and everyone ate everything however it was obvious that they had upped the prices to cover the deal. Staff were really friendly and attentive. Puddings start at £7 so no one ordered any!Special Features:
- Good food and service as alwaysAmbrosiaDined on 28/8/2014With 50% off and a free bottle of wine, excellent service and above average food, what's not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with voucherafter8Dined on 27/8/2014If you have a discount voucher it is reasonable. However beware that you will be offered bread and olives which will seriously increase the cost. Further make sure you examine your bill. We were prepared to leave a generous gratuity but found that a 25% "discretionary" service charge, based on the full price before the discount, had already been added to the bill. When we questioned this the service charge was reduced but not with good grace. This spoilt what had been an otherwise pleasant meet up with my daughter and son in law. When will restaurants start paying their staff a proper wage so they don't have to resort to these tactics?
- Would i go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 27/8/2014Went on a voucher and must say good value. Staff very helpful and accommodating Would go again on voucher but certainly would go and pay full priceSpecial Features: