Cantina del Ponte
The Butlers Wharf Building
36c Shad Thames
London, SE1 2YENeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
Cantina del Ponte
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinadelponte.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7403 5403
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Goldin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Catering: Our menu is authentic, rustic and very reasonably priced.
Inspiration for the regularly changing seasonal menus comes from every corner of Italy with recommendations including: parma ham and melon; warm goat cheese with chilli jam and homemade focaccia bread; veal Milanese and mouth watering tiramisu.
Do not miss our delicious signature dishes: lobster linguine and seafood risotto.
- Private Party Facilities: A corner of Italian sunshine in Butlers Wharf, Shad Thames, Cantina del Ponte offers the influences, flavours and atmosphere of Italy. A huge canopy provides a people-watching paradise for sunny days with great views of Tower Bridge.
Simple, regional and authentic Italian fare is aplenty. Feast
- Private Party Contact: Lucy Beer 02077167887x
- Special Events: Located on the Thames with beautiful riverside views of Tower Bridge, Cantina del Ponte welcomes group reservations or be exclusively hired for up to 100 guests seated or 200 standing.
Toast with a glass of Prosecco during a drinks reception on the terraces overlooking Tower Bridge before heading inside to a dinner or buffet.
A fabulous venue for your lunch or dinner, Cantina del Ponte is suitable for all private parties including birthdays and anniversaries, as well as corporate events such as product launches, awards ceremonies, premieres and team dinners.
A word from Cantina del Ponte
Cantina del Ponte subscribes to the three Rs that make Italian food truly great: rustic, robust and reasonably priced. Inside it is simple and friendly, with a wall mural of an Italian marketplace that runs the length of the restaurant. The ambience will transport you right to the heart of Italy leaving you nothing else to say but “life is beautiful”. The restaurant also boasts a breath-taking location on the Thames with beautiful views of Tower Bridge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cantina del Ponte - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina del Ponte reviews from OpenTable diners
406 reviews since 24 November 2013
outdoor eating (232)special occasions (167)romance (148)business meals (104)group bookings (89)fit for foodies (80)sunday lunch (67)outstanding value (65)pre/post theatre (58)good vegetarian options (54)brunch (46)child friendly (38)disabled access (22)afternoon tea (15)Show More
- After work dinner with a viewCambsFoodieDined on 18/11/2014I visited cantina del ponte with a friend after work. Wonderful setting, food was really nice, nothing spectacular, but would certainly return. Service was incredibly efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Special OfferAMOCDined on 16/11/2014Four of us ate at Cantina del Ponte on a quiet Sunday evening. The Open Table special offer was good with plenty choices (especially the vegetarian options). The food was good and the service friendly and efficient. We'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food for good valueEmmanuelleVIPDined on 15/11/2014Great food and service. Will definitely be coming back, either with my boyfriend for a romantic night out or with a group a friends like last time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not amazing!daleagaDined on 15/11/2014The food was good but nothing special, i went with my girlfriend and a friend of us. The costumers service is nice maybe a little bit too much, we were talking and they asked us "everything ok?" like 30times! anyway i think that in London there are a lot of Italian restaurants where you can eat better and pay less!!!!!!Special Features:
- Those who like opera should avoid opera nights!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 14/11/2014I selected the restaurant on my husband's birthday because of the 'opera night', having been to other restaurants in London where this works well, and the meal is complemented by the music. Cantina del Ponte is absolutely not a suitable venue for this, and should not be marketed as such. One female singer with recorded background music sang a few very common arias and other songs which were not opera, and her (good) voice was completely drowned by the general noise in the restaurant. Even waiters continued talking loudly. The floor is stone, the ceiling is low, the restaurant quickly becomes packed with people who are obviously just out for an Italian meal with a view of the Thames. The food was average, and overpriced. We left after an hour or so. There are better venues in London to enjoy opera between or during courses, where the acoustics are appropriate, and the diners appreciative and reasonably quiet.
- Even better than usual at CantinaLuckyDined on 14/11/2014We go to Cantina several times a year normally. This time we went to try the truffle menu. It was very good. The food was amazing and the portions so generous that I struggled with the truffle panna cotta. Fried duck egg, truffle and cocoa focaccia sounds (and looks) odd but it works well. We hadn't realised it was one of their opera nights when we booked, which added to the entertainment. Service was excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cantina del PonteDalmatianVIPDined on 12/11/2014We had the truffle menu and the truffle was really nice, even though the starter and main dishes were nothing special. The dessert of white truffle and panna cotta was very good though and not something one would have thought would go together naturally. Even though they did not have our OpenTable booking when we first arrived, they accommodated us and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placetravelgalVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a lovely meal here, food, service and atmosphere were all great. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Sunday lunch at CantinaMadMax2014Dined on 9/11/2014We all had Sunday lunch here and all had the set menu. The 3 course menu is outstanding value at £15.50 per head. We hadn't booked with this in mind but we all liked the choices on the set menu. A very nice restaurant with friendly, helpful staff and management. Lovely waterside setting on the south side of the Thames with fab views to Tower bridge. Definitely worth a visit. Reasonably priced wine choices etc.Special Features:
- Good food, yet expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Really good food and good choice, outstanding service. However, very noisy, I couldn't hear my neighbor speak.. A bit better after 10 pm. Quite expensive, about 35, 40£ per person with only one bottle of wine shared between 6 people... So I would keep this address for special occasions.Special Features:
- well worth itbombheadDined on 8/11/2014Went to cantina del Ponte to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We were greeted by Giuseppe taken to table where there was wine on the house I had pork shoulder ham with horseradish cream which was excellent wife had minestrone soup which she said was good,main was Seabrook for me again excellent wife had lasagne which she described as gorgeous did not order sweet but was brought a delightful sweet for our anniversary by restaurant. This is an excellent restaurant with stunning views of London bridge and Thames, it is also very busy with people turning up without booking being told there was no free tables so pre booking is a must.Special Features:
- Family birthday partyNickJanetDined on 8/11/2014Just brilliant in every way. A horrible wet evening outside but an exciting one inside with very attentive staff and excellent food and wine - and thank you for the candles !Special Features:
- Buzzy!LondongirlDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed our meal here. I would say that the description of the restaurant isn't quite correct (all that talk of rustic and value and so on). Its a really buzzy, lively and I guess I'd be tempted to say modern Italian restaurant. Its loud and hot, but its nice to have some atmosphere, just dont go wearing lots of jumpers! Staff were friendly and really good at their job - a lot of places in central london could learn from them to be honest! The set menu was fairly limited, but we enjoyed the food we had - especially the spinach tart starter. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!FoodLoverDined on 6/11/2014This was my first visit to Cantina Del Ponte and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff we're friendly and helpful and the food was lovely. I also attended on 'opera night' so the 2 live opera singers were a nice added touch. The only negative thing I can say is that it got very noisy as the restaurant got busier, but it certainly didn't dampen the enjoyment factor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant lunch venueStardustDined on 6/11/2014We enjoyed a very tasty and unhurried lunch here with friends. Service was very friendly, the decor is pretty and bright with a view of the Thames. Would have been nice to eat outdoors if the weather had been kinder.Special Features:
- Good view of the riverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Enjoyed our set 3 course very much. Set menu excellent value for money with good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al frescoFoodie007Dined on 1/11/2014Nice place for lunch or dinner. Shame that it is so noisy inside but great outside.Special Features:
- wonderful view and goo foodAuroreDined on 1/11/2014I had a good experience. The set menu for £22.95 offers good choices and quite good value. I must highlight the perfect service though! A good place to have dinner outside with the view of Tower bridgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastymorselTastymorselDined on 31/10/2014After brilliantly ironing out a few menu printed mishaps - this was a delightful evening. Food good and service genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class ItalianSchignanoDined on 31/10/2014Very enjoyable lunch here, sitting outside next to the river. Genuine Italian experience next to the Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful day by the ThamesPeronidayDined on 31/10/2014We had an amazing lunch/afternoon on a beautiful sunny October day. The food was great, we were right by Tower Bridge with excellent views and a great area of London to sightsee and enjoy ourselvesSpecial Features:
- Better than amazingLovegoodfoodDined on 29/10/2014I booked this restaurant online but had seen it before the view of Tower Bridge was spectacular. The occasion was an anniversary, I had mentioned this online. We were greeted by a very attentive waiter called Carlos who presented us with complementary drinks. Perfect. We choose the set dinner menu which had a small but varied choice. We chose sword fish carpaccio and spinach tart for starter, both of which were delicious. For the main we had the salmon and chicken, both full of flavour and delicious. We had chose no dessert but was surprised with a panacotta with the words "Happy anniversary " our adjacent table had been visiting every year for 20 years. That a reason to come back.Special Features:
- Dinner for 2John747Dined on 28/10/2014The restaurant is nice, but I found it quite noisy inside. I had difficulties in speaking with my girlfriend. On the other hand, the food is quite good and the service too.Special Features:
- Lovely evening outTinaDined on 27/10/2014I can't find anything negative to say about this place. The service was absolutely outstanding, all the waiters were extremely polite and patient since most of my guests were over a half an hour late. The food came within a reasonable time once ordered, it was exactly what we expected it to be, it was delicious and it came in decent portions. The wine was also very good. We were asked 3 times if everything was ok during our meal and never had any difficulties catching a waiter's attention. The layout of the restaurant and the atmosphere were also very good. I will definitely add this place to my list of safe-options to dine at.Special Features:
- Great food, a little noisy!ShadThamesFoodieDined on 25/10/2014We live quite close to Cantina so popped here last minute. We chose from special offer menu and the food was delicious. The service was impeccable. The only (slight) issue was how noisy it was and it was quite difficult to have a conversation across the table. Luckily the views and people watching made up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will recommend!RosieDined on 24/10/2014Will recommend for delicious food, excellent service, and lovely view of Tower Bridge. Only criticism was that the food is presented a little too rustic for my liking and rather noisy. But that aside a great experience. Have been once before and will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and buzzy atmosphereHelbDined on 22/10/2014Great view of tower bridge and the South bank, buzzy friendly atmosphere inside and the food was tasty... And great value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, disappointing foodJudeDined on 19/10/2014I visit cantina about twice a year and usually love the whole experience. This time I found the main course very mediocre - both chicken and fish.were dry and boring. The chicken only had a few dry rocket leaves covered in Parmesan! The £18 bargain rose to to just under £30 each with only one glass of wine between us and a cup of tea each! Disappointing after many happy visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SecretFoodieDined on 19/10/2014Beautiful view of tower bridge creates a nice ambiance and the food is pretty good too! Simple clean flavours cooked in a way that allows the diner to taste every ingredient. Worth a go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceLondonDiningDined on 17/10/2014We had a table for the Friday night to kick off a birthday weekend in London (with Duck & Waffle booked for Saturday). The service at Cantina Del Ponte was without doubt the best we have experienced in London- friendly, attentive and authentic Italian. The food matched the service, and the views completed a great dining experience.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014I've eaten at Cantina del Ponte often, and the food is always good. However, they've introduced 'Opera Evenings' on Fridays, which they do not advertise at the time of making a booking. It was impossible to carry a conversation as the music was WAY too loud. Also, upon our arrival, we were made to wait at the bar even though pretty much every table was empty, i.e., they could have seated us immediately - maybe they were trying to get us buy 'extra drinks', which I found very unappealing. When they finally seated us, they gave all of us the three-course prix-fix menus, and only one full menu for the whole table. It took us three attempts to get more menus. Again it felt they were trying to 'force sell' us more than we wanted. Disappointing.
- Good food, loud singingRubyDined on 17/10/2014The food was all good (although not very exciting) and good value on the special deal (£22.95 for three courses with a glass of prosecco). Unfortunately what I didn't know in advance is that they often have an opera singer performing on Friday evenings. She was a good singer but it was very loud (too loud to be able carry on talking while she was performing) so not ideal when I was trying to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen for a while. Lots of the other diners seemed to love it but having booked through opentable and not looked at the restuarant's website I had no idea this was going to be on and so it was abit of a shock. Probably best to avoid Friday evenings if this doesn't appeal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheTownieDined on 17/10/2014I attended the restaurant for lunch with family members after visiting the Poppies at The Tower of London. Our experience at Cantina Del Ponte helped make the day memorable. The staff were friendly, attentive, efficient and determined to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. The food was truly excellent, each of us chose different dishes and were all delighted with out choices. Beautifully prepared and presented and served exactly as ordered. The restaurant has a great feel to it, relaxed and welcoming. I would be happy to go back anytime with guests. Eating out should always be a treat, this certainly was.Special Features:
- Cantina del PonteStavRulerDined on 12/10/2014We had a great meal but found it expensive. Ambience was fair, nice lighting, but the restaurant wasn't very busy and was playing disagreeable music (I know it's a bit lame to complain about that but there you have it). The food and drink was great. Service friendly with a smile but at the end we were asked to leave a review on TripAdvisor mentioning the waiter's name because "it was for his job". That made me feel very uneasy. Was he going to keep his job if we wrote a good review?! Value I'd say was poor for what it was. The food was definitely nice, don't get me wrong, but it was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing throughouthappyinloveDined on 5/10/2014as soon as we had arrived the staff carlos was attentive to our needs. As previously making them aware that i was celebrating my anniversary with my husband they offered 2 glasses of prosseco on the house and made a lovely gesture when it came to dessert- writing happy anniversary in chocolate on our plate. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!mariace86Dined on 4/10/2014The service was amazing. We were celebrating my mom's 60 birthday and i think it was one of the most special moments of her life. Antonello served us. He understood exactly all what I wanted for my mom. He brought the decorated dessert in the perfect moment and carefully prepared every detail of our night! The food was amazing, everything was delicious. The also have a nice wine selection. At night the view in incredible beautiful. We have an amazing celebration.Special Features:
- Lively AtmosphereHolliJDined on 4/10/2014If you are looking for lively atmosphere with good food near one of London's landmarks Tower Bridge this is the place for you. We ate here before going to the theatre, service was speedy and waiting staff very attentive. Food tasty with a menu to suit most tastes with typical Italian dishes. Good for groups and families, too busy if you are looking for quiet romantic dining but just what we wanted. Would come back again.Special Features:
- Italian food with a smileDinaDined on 4/10/2014Three of us had lunch at Cantina del Ponte on a wet Saturday in October. The restaurant was busy and the acoustics were such that we had to shout to hear each other. The food was very good, especially the starters, and the waiters very friendly and efficient. Enjoyable all round apart from the noise!
- DisappointedFamilydinerDined on 4/10/2014Starters were good - my caprese was excellent. Main courses were disappointing: gnochetti was heavy, my son described the risotto as milky and grey mullet with endives was well cooked but didn't turn out to be a great combination. Service was very friendly and efficient but all hard surfaces made the restaurant rather noisy.Special Features:
- Great foor,service,atmosphereBroganDined on 3/10/2014Location is great, close to Tower Bridge, if you go at night the view is impressive and if the weather is OK you can walk on the riverside. Food is very good, despite I was expecting a bit more choice on the menu. Atmosphere is perfect especially if you go there with a partner for a romantic dinner. Service is very attentive and kind, what I expected from Italians, well done! As an Italian living in London, I always struggle to find good Italian restaurants, but this time I was very happy with my choice, and I will go back for sure. Strongly recommended.Special Features: