Cantina del Ponte
The Butlers Wharf Building
36c Shad Thames
London, SE1 2YENeighborhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
Cantina del Ponte
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinadelponte.co.uk/
- Phone: 02074035403
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Goldin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Catering: Our menu is authentic, rustic and very reasonably priced.
Inspiration for the regularly changing seasonal menus comes from every corner of Italy with recommendations including: parma ham and melon; warm goat cheese with chilli jam and homemade focaccia bread; veal Milanese and mouth watering tiramisu.
Do not miss our delicious signature dishes: lobster linguine and seafood risotto.
- Private Party Facilities: A corner of Italian sunshine in Butlers Wharf, Shad Thames, Cantina del Ponte offers the influences, flavours and atmosphere of Italy. A huge canopy provides a people-watching paradise for sunny days with great views of Tower Bridge.
Simple, regional and authentic Italian fare is aplenty. Feast
- Private Party Contact: Lucy Beer 02077167887x
- Special Events: Located on the Thames with beautiful riverside views of Tower Bridge, Cantina del Ponte welcomes group reservations or be exclusively hired for up to 100 guests seated or 200 standing.
Toast with a glass of Prosecco during a drinks reception on the terraces overlooking Tower Bridge before heading inside to a dinner or buffet.
A fabulous venue for your lunch or dinner, Cantina del Ponte is suitable for all private parties including birthdays and anniversaries, as well as corporate events such as product launches, awards ceremonies, premieres and team dinners.
A word from Cantina del Ponte
Cantina del Ponte subscribes to the three Rs that make Italian food truly great: rustic, robust and reasonably priced. Inside it is simple and friendly, with a wall mural of an Italian marketplace that runs the length of the restaurant. The ambience will transport you right to the heart of Italy leaving you nothing else to say but “life is beautiful”. The restaurant also boasts a breath-taking location on the Thames with beautiful views of Tower Bridge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cantina del Ponte - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina del Ponte reviews from OpenTable diners
380 reviews since 20 May 2014
outdoor eating (217)special occasions (162)romance (138)business meals (104)fit for foodies (85)group bookings (85)outstanding value (66)sunday lunch (65)good vegetarian options (54)pre/post theatre (54)brunch (45)child friendly (38)disabled access (23)afternoon tea (14)Show More
- A lovely eveningKrisDined on 15/9/2014I booked this place for my mum's birthday and we had an amazing night. My dad is usually fussy with food but absolutely loved everything he had, all of our food was really good. The heated outdoor terrace is so cozy and has incredible views of Tower Bridge and the river. The staff absolutely make this place, so very friendly, charming, gladly answered any questions about the food and were attentive throughout the meal. The team of waiters also did a 'Happy Birthday' for my mum which made her evening. We had a really great time, I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- 40th birthday brillianceCrofterAndrewDined on 12/9/2014Not knowing anywhere to eat in London, booking a table here for my wife's 40th birthday was a bit of a stab in the dark. We were not disappointed. The food and friendly service were particularly outstanding. The complimentary bottle of Prosecco and birthday dessert were thoughtful additions. We will return and heartily recommend Cantina for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Great service / Amazing foodDanbVIPDined on 12/9/2014I have to admit Cantina is one of my favourite restaurants in London and I am never disappointed when we go. The menu has about 4/5 dishes in each section and the food quality and quantity was very good. Wine is to a high standard and again the wine list is pretty extensive. Prompt and attentive service given with a smile and not hurried by Leo and we are always made to feel welcome. We had one issue where our food was delayed but we were kept informed and provided with free bread and a glass of prosecco which we were not expecting but a nice touch for the inconvenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014Great ambience, excellent food; perfect for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Spectacular food and serviceSkyFaLoDined on 10/9/2014Ordered a set dinner and we had it outdoor. The food was so good and so as the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly ItaliancrazyekaDined on 7/9/2014Being Italian I always struggle to find the tastes and flavours of my country in so called Italian restaurants abroad as dishes get adapted to the local cuisine. Cantina del Ponte instead kept the traditional Italian flavours in her dishes. The Lasagna and ricotta and spinach ravioli really tasted like back home and the wines selection is very good too. On top of the delicious food the restaurant is located by the river with a spectacular view of the Tower Bridge. The only very minor thing I can say is that the service was a bit slow but this is part of the full Italian experience ;)Special Features:
- Special EventBankside4dinerDined on 7/9/2014We wanted to have a relaxed meal after a special weekend and chose Cantina. We were wary because our last visit some time ago had been a bit of a disaster.The service was excellent and we were able to sit outside because of the very effective heaters. That added to the occasion because the setting is one of the best in London. We were able to use the Evening Standard offer which was great value. The menu offered had a really good choice. We enjoyed ourselves and will now return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Outstanding value on ES promotion. Food choice, quality and quantity was very good. Wine was part of package so probably house, and very acceptable. Prompt and attentive service given with a smile and not hurried.Special Features:
- A very good italian restaurantdavidoneDined on 6/9/2014La Cantina del Ponte is a really good italian restaurant in London: a great variety of italian recipes, all fresh. And the view on Tower Bridge is really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely lunch!Jess77Dined on 6/9/2014Cantina Del Ponte has a wonderful setting overlooking Tower Bridge on the Thames. The setting is very beautiful as well as being great for people watching! Our waiter Claudio was absolutely amazing, even bringing me a surprise birthday pudding! All the staff were friendly, attentive and polite. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be returningErikaDined on 5/9/2014We booked a table using the 2 course deal as we were celebrating buying our first flat and wanted to go somewhere nice. Although the place was nice and service was good the food really let them down. I had the spinach tart which was greasy and rather unappetising. Both mains we had came only with the very basics so side orders were required driving the bill up. Although the mains were fine (salmon and mushroom risotto) they were nothing special. We went to another restaurant for dessertSpecial Features:
- friendly outdoor relaxedspecialoccasionregularDined on 5/9/2014tasty food, good deals, great to sit outside, waiting staff smiley and not pushy - a little late with serving the main courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picturesque venueRozyDined on 4/9/2014Fabulous position. Excellent service. Beautiful food. Once the opera singer arrived my husband made a hadty retreat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a tourist hotspotAdrianDined on 2/9/2014I was nervous about choosing a restaurant in a tourist hotspot to celebrate my 50th birthday but I really did have a great evening at the Cantina del Ponte. Everything we ate was full of flavour; the portions varied between generous and colossal and the ingredients in the seafood dishes and the salads were fresh and well-chosen. The setting is faultless - to be 5 metres from the water's edge with Tower Bridge a few paces away as the sun set was glorious. But the star of the Cantina show is the service. Everyone who came to the table was attentive and friendly; there was nothing to make us feel like just another table of tourists - it was more like being recognised and welcomed in a local neighbourhood Italian. They made it a great birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelissimoMaximusDined on 1/9/2014Great food and fantastic service. Well worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal with great viewsTaaffeyDined on 31/8/2014We went on a Sunday evening with some Australian friends. The view over Tower Bridge is spectacular and very appropriate as our friends had lived in London for 25 years. Staff were very welcoming and service was professional and charming. The food was great Italian staples,beautifully presented and prepared and very reasonable. I would not hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy party for fourUpforadealDined on 29/8/2014Very enjoyable Friday evening meal. Friendly professional service but not over attentive. Very nice food, we all tried something different and everyone enjoyed their meal. Also a good wine list to chose from. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AnonDined on 29/8/2014Splendid food, service attentive and warm but discreet, Leo our waiter was the consummate professional...we will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Lovely Italian Experience....KettsVIPDined on 22/8/2014Good food and good service. All Italian waiter/waitress which adds to the lovely experience.Special Features:
- TarzanDined on 22/8/2014Again fabulous restaurant Great waiter service. Portions are a little small but food is excellent. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner.Thm1Dined on 21/8/2014Early evening meal with small child. Good food. Staff very attentive and helpful. Great view from outdoor seating. Opera evening with live si gong was fantastic, unexpected bonus.Special Features:
- Superbthe2bistokidsDined on 21/8/2014We booked a table for Thursday 21st August to celebrate our recent joint birthdays and our wedding anniversary. From the initial greeting right through to the end of our meal was a wonderful experience. Each course was very tasty and we even had room for the delicious desserts!. An extra treat was the opera singer which added to the overall atmosphere. Our waiter Leonardo was very attentive,informative and friendly. A great place and we will definitely return the next time we are in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, average foodLizpinDined on 20/8/2014I have eaten here a few times and the location is great, especially if you can sit outside and watch the activities on the river. However, it's not a favourite. It has a nice atmosphere inside, very Italian, and the staff are usually very attentive and pleasant, but it's not great if you have any sort of hearing problem as it can be quite noisy. The food is good, but not great, and compared to many other Italian restaurants, pretty expensive. On our most recent visit the service was unusually poor. Our waiter was charming when we saw him, but that was fairly infrequently - it took 15 minutes to get menus and another 15 for him to take our order, even for a drink. We paid £50 per head for a pretty average meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner near Tower BridgeFirstDined on 16/8/2014Outstanding and very romantic dinner with a likely view to Tower BridgeSpecial Features:
- Along the riverNetcxDined on 13/8/2014Food was really lovely, staff were really attentive, would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing iOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/8/2014It's a real shame but my pasta wasn't cooked and my fiancée had to send hers back to be warmed up. The service and atmosphere was top notch, but the basic food errors really let it down. Gutted as I was really looking forward to it
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014An excellent lunch experience with very good food and serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014Recommended! The waiters are fantastic! The food was wonderful and we didn't expect a delicious Tiramisu to arrive for my friends birthday with everyone joining in for a song. Thank you!Special Features:
- Cantina del PonteChrisapLewisDined on 9/8/2014A great ambience, made all the more enjoyable by great staff. You get first class service (our waiter, Carlos, made us feel very welcome and well looked-after) and get to enjoy some very fine cuisine in a beautiful location on the south bank. Sitting outside, the view of Tower Bridge is magnificent and just adds to the dining experience. This is an ideal venue for a romantic evening meal, with convenient transport options nearby (Taxis are in frequent evidence, and Tower Gateway station is just across the nearby bridge; there are also boats into central London). A great selection of wines to go with the delicious - not to mention filling - food leaves you with an evening to remember. For my partner and I, this has become 'our' restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeagDined on 8/8/2014Went to this restuatant for my boyfriends birthday and it was very nice. The view is amazing, but due to the weather we had to be moved inside. The staff were very accomadating, very friendly and always there to help (particularly the bar staff). We was also fortunate to attend the resturant when they had there opera night theme which was very good also. The only downfall if I had to choose one would be the lack of variety of the food Would def recommend this resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to sit outsidefrenchDined on 6/8/2014Outside diniing on sunny day was nice, service attentive, food not great.Special Features:
- OTTIMO RISTORANTE CON VISTAgianlu93Dined on 4/8/2014Ottimo personale e soprattutto ottimo cibo! Raccomandato! Altro punto a favore: la super vista sul tower bridge illuminato la sera dopo le 21!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic staff, lovely experiencecorranetDined on 4/8/2014My family came up to London for the day to see my brother and his wife, and I booked Cantina del Ponte because our 5 year old is fascinated by Tower Bridge: I remembered that the view from the restaurant terrace is fantastic. The ambiance and food are great, but I am writing this review mainly because of the wonderful service we received from the staff at Cantina del Ponte. We have a 1 year old and a 5 year old, and eating at good restaurants can be often be so stressful that you wonder why you bothered. However, Fabio and his staff made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. And it wasn't just us - I could see that every table was treated with the same mixture of cordiality, warmth and attentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value, great settingCarlosDined on 3/8/2014A lovely meal , friendly and knowledgeable staff, a beautiful location. Very good food well cooked and well presented. The salumi board was outstanding. Spatchcock chicken was top quality and perfectly cooked, also huge. No room for dolce. The only small disappointment was the tomato salad - the tomatoes were virtually tasteless and there is no excuse for that nowadays. Four and a half stars overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 1/8/2014Amazing location to be seated outside and have tower bridge lit up in your views! Perfect for a romantic meal or special occasion. The only downside was the set menu... the mains were very small in portion and the selection was limited. A great place to come, but possibly for the a la carte menu as the choices were better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, food and serviceal4lesDined on 29/7/2014Although we had to wait 10 minutes for an outside table. The staff ensured we were not delayed any more than necessary and offered a fee glass of Prosecco. Food and service were excellent, the main menu had plenty of choice and would definitely return again. Views of Tower Bridge and along the Thames were a great added bonus.Special Features:
- CityGirlDined on 29/7/2014We had a group booking at Cantina del Ponte and they seated us outside which was great as the weather was lovely and we had nice views out over the Thames. The food was very nice, very good portion sizes, service was good and quick. The toilets were a little old and in need of refurbishment but were clean. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valueSprogDined on 29/7/2014Could not fault our meal or the service.it was a lovely day and to be eating with a view of Tower bridge cannot be betteredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will return during the weekpiergiorgionieroDined on 26/7/2014We were attracted by the pictures of the tables facing the thames, we ended up in a table indoor without air conditioning. The pasta was good, the desserts were not good and very little for the price we paid. Good wine choice in the winelist, wine wasn't overpriced. My bottom line is: it was a crowded saturday and they filled the indoor tables with online reservations, anyway it's worth returning when not crowded as the view is very good and the food is worth a secondo visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful nightSC13Dined on 26/7/2014Spent a good 5 hours here with friends and had a fantastic night with wonderful views and great simple food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.