Cantina del Ponte
The Butlers Wharf Building
36c Shad Thames
London, SE1 2YENeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
Cantina del Ponte
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinadelponte.co.uk/
- Phone: 02074035403
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Goldin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Catering: Our menu is authentic, rustic and very reasonably priced.
Inspiration for the regularly changing seasonal menus comes from every corner of Italy with recommendations including: parma ham and melon; warm goat cheese with chilli jam and homemade focaccia bread; veal Milanese and mouth watering tiramisu.
Do not miss our delicious signature dishes: lobster linguine and seafood risotto.
- Private Party Facilities: A corner of Italian sunshine in Butlers Wharf, Shad Thames, Cantina del Ponte offers the influences, flavours and atmosphere of Italy. A huge canopy provides a people-watching paradise for sunny days with great views of Tower Bridge.
Simple, regional and authentic Italian fare is aplenty. Feast
- Private Party Contact: Lucy Beer 02077167887x
- Special Events: Located on the Thames with beautiful riverside views of Tower Bridge, Cantina del Ponte welcomes group reservations or be exclusively hired for up to 100 guests seated or 200 standing.
Toast with a glass of Prosecco during a drinks reception on the terraces overlooking Tower Bridge before heading inside to a dinner or buffet.
A fabulous venue for your lunch or dinner, Cantina del Ponte is suitable for all private parties including birthdays and anniversaries, as well as corporate events such as product launches, awards ceremonies, premieres and team dinners.
A word from Cantina del Ponte
Cantina del Ponte subscribes to the three Rs that make Italian food truly great: rustic, robust and reasonably priced. Inside it is simple and friendly, with a wall mural of an Italian marketplace that runs the length of the restaurant. The ambience will transport you right to the heart of Italy leaving you nothing else to say but “life is beautiful”. The restaurant also boasts a breath-taking location on the Thames with beautiful views of Tower Bridge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cantina del Ponte - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina del Ponte reviews from OpenTable diners
396 reviews since 23 October 2013
outdoor eating (226)special occasions (167)romance (145)business meals (105)group bookings (89)fit for foodies (86)sunday lunch (67)outstanding value (66)pre/post theatre (59)good vegetarian options (56)brunch (50)child friendly (40)disabled access (22)afternoon tea (14)Show More
- Great place, disappointing foodJudeDined on 19/10/2014I visit cantina about twice a year and usually love the whole experience. This time I found the main course very mediocre - both chicken and fish.were dry and boring. The chicken only had a few dry rocket leaves covered in Parmesan! The £18 bargain rose to to just under £30 each with only one glass of wine between us and a cup of tea each! Disappointing after many happy visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SecretFoodieDined on 19/10/2014Beautiful view of tower bridge creates a nice ambiance and the food is pretty good too! Simple clean flavours cooked in a way that allows the diner to taste every ingredient. Worth a go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceLondonDiningDined on 17/10/2014We had a table for the Friday night to kick off a birthday weekend in London (with Duck & Waffle booked for Saturday). The service at Cantina Del Ponte was without doubt the best we have experienced in London- friendly, attentive and authentic Italian. The food matched the service, and the views completed a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Good food, loud singingRubyDined on 17/10/2014The food was all good (although not very exciting) and good value on the special deal (£22.95 for three courses with a glass of prosecco). Unfortunately what I didn't know in advance is that they often have an opera singer performing on Friday evenings. She was a good singer but it was very loud (too loud to be able carry on talking while she was performing) so not ideal when I was trying to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen for a while. Lots of the other diners seemed to love it but having booked through opentable and not looked at the restuarant's website I had no idea this was going to be on and so it was abit of a shock. Probably best to avoid Friday evenings if this doesn't appeal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheTownieDined on 17/10/2014I attended the restaurant for lunch with family members after visiting the Poppies at The Tower of London. Our experience at Cantina Del Ponte helped make the day memorable. The staff were friendly, attentive, efficient and determined to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. The food was truly excellent, each of us chose different dishes and were all delighted with out choices. Beautifully prepared and presented and served exactly as ordered. The restaurant has a great feel to it, relaxed and welcoming. I would be happy to go back anytime with guests. Eating out should always be a treat, this certainly was.Special Features:
- Cantina del PonteStavRulerDined on 12/10/2014We had a great meal but found it expensive. Ambience was fair, nice lighting, but the restaurant wasn't very busy and was playing disagreeable music (I know it's a bit lame to complain about that but there you have it). The food and drink was great. Service friendly with a smile but at the end we were asked to leave a review on TripAdvisor mentioning the waiter's name because "it was for his job". That made me feel very uneasy. Was he going to keep his job if we wrote a good review?! Value I'd say was poor for what it was. The food was definitely nice, don't get me wrong, but it was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing throughouthappyinloveDined on 5/10/2014as soon as we had arrived the staff carlos was attentive to our needs. As previously making them aware that i was celebrating my anniversary with my husband they offered 2 glasses of prosseco on the house and made a lovely gesture when it came to dessert- writing happy anniversary in chocolate on our plate. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!mariace86Dined on 4/10/2014The service was amazing. We were celebrating my mom's 60 birthday and i think it was one of the most special moments of her life. Antonello served us. He understood exactly all what I wanted for my mom. He brought the decorated dessert in the perfect moment and carefully prepared every detail of our night! The food was amazing, everything was delicious. The also have a nice wine selection. At night the view in incredible beautiful. We have an amazing celebration.Special Features:
- Lively AtmosphereHolliJDined on 4/10/2014If you are looking for lively atmosphere with good food near one of London's landmarks Tower Bridge this is the place for you. We ate here before going to the theatre, service was speedy and waiting staff very attentive. Food tasty with a menu to suit most tastes with typical Italian dishes. Good for groups and families, too busy if you are looking for quiet romantic dining but just what we wanted. Would come back again.Special Features:
- Italian food with a smileDinaDined on 4/10/2014Three of us had lunch at Cantina del Ponte on a wet Saturday in October. The restaurant was busy and the acoustics were such that we had to shout to hear each other. The food was very good, especially the starters, and the waiters very friendly and efficient. Enjoyable all round apart from the noise!
- DisappointedFamilydinerDined on 4/10/2014Starters were good - my caprese was excellent. Main courses were disappointing: gnochetti was heavy, my son described the risotto as milky and grey mullet with endives was well cooked but didn't turn out to be a great combination. Service was very friendly and efficient but all hard surfaces made the restaurant rather noisy.Special Features:
- Great foor,service,atmosphereBroganDined on 3/10/2014Location is great, close to Tower Bridge, if you go at night the view is impressive and if the weather is OK you can walk on the riverside. Food is very good, despite I was expecting a bit more choice on the menu. Atmosphere is perfect especially if you go there with a partner for a romantic dinner. Service is very attentive and kind, what I expected from Italians, well done! As an Italian living in London, I always struggle to find good Italian restaurants, but this time I was very happy with my choice, and I will go back for sure. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- Lunch on the riverFerrs11Dined on 30/9/2014We have been several times to Cantina del Ponte over the years but feel standards are slipping. We had the fixed price lunch but a) had to ask for the menu as were only given a la carte one and b) the price was higher than appears on the OT site describing their lunch menu (not your special offer). Request for water had to be repeated as well. They certainly were not busy so there was no excuse. Food was OK. My spinach tart for starters was rather soggy although tasty. My main of salmon was lovely and cooked perfectly although peppers with it were rather oily. My husband's swordfish and risotto were also fine. We were seated outside and cannot fault the view but there are so many choices in this area I suspect we will not be back here.Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014Quite like the place - my second time here. But we were a little disappointed that they didn't make an outdoor table available after requesting for it twice.Special Features:
- OK food, good location, expensiveandyh1979Dined on 27/9/2014Great location by the river in Shad Thames. Food was decent - as good as it needed to be, we weren't disappointed overall. Did find it strange though that the lasagne didn't come with cheese on top and had no sides at all. The final bill was about 30% more than I expected - it all adds up. One thing that spoiled my whole view was that when the waitress topped up the wine she started with the fullest glass and filled it almost to the brim - far too full. My glass was empty and by the time she reached me there was no wine left - a cynical way to force us into buying a second bottle that we didn't really want. This reinforced some of the other reviews on here that it's all about the money at this place. Wouldn't go back as a result.
- Cantina del ponte74ndyDined on 27/9/2014Went here for my parents' 30th anniversary. The staff were really amazing, though the food was great it was not outstanding, and I feel we were paying for the location somewhat. Still definitely recommend going here though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian restaurantjacksatta78Dined on 25/9/2014It is a good Italian restaurant. Pros: the service is very good with friendly staff, great location and there is a good choice of wines. Cons: the food is ok but not exceptional and in particular if you consider the price. With such a high number of Italian restaurants and chains in London you would expect a bit more. Overall is good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasing PlaceGo2enjoyDined on 25/9/20145 of us recently enjoyed a lovely lunch here. It's a wonderful location, helpful staff and good value.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyIsminiDined on 24/9/2014The food was good but the portions were very small and expensive. It resembled more to a French restaurant (big plates small portions) than an Italian. The staff were friendly and the location great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Cantina del PonteJMilliDined on 19/9/2014We had a lovely dinner at Cantina del Ponte. The food and service were good. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- A lovely lunchMichelleDined on 18/9/2014The service was excellent and very friendly. Very good food. Lovely bread and good size portions Will definitely visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulesDined on 17/9/2014Mid-September and we had an evening table outside with the fabulous views of Towers Bridge. The food was brilliant and our group of 3 ate from both the a la carte and the set menu. All of the food was excellent and the set menu particularly good value. The service was first class and very friendly - and particular thanks to the staff for recognising one of our party with mobility difficulties and their discreet attempt to make things easy for them.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningKrisDined on 15/9/2014I booked this place for my mum's birthday and we had an amazing night. My dad is usually fussy with food but absolutely loved everything he had, all of our food was really good. The heated outdoor terrace is so cozy and has incredible views of Tower Bridge and the river. The staff absolutely make this place, so very friendly, charming, gladly answered any questions about the food and were attentive throughout the meal. The team of waiters also did a 'Happy Birthday' for my mum which made her evening. We had a really great time, I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Great service & great foodCyr74Dined on 15/9/2014All you should expect from a D&D outlet. Friendly but professional staff, great food and amazing wine selection. Definitely recommend anyone to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice VenueBrasserie01Dined on 13/9/2014I was delighted to be able to find a booking at this delightful little Italian restaurant with excellent views over the Thames and especially over Tower Bridge. The walk to the restaurant was good also as we passed the display of Poppies at the Tower. The menu choice was a bit limited especially on the pasta dishes - although the food we had was good and there was nothing to grumble about. The service was good and I would recommend for outdoor eatingSpecial Features:
- 40th birthday brillianceCrofterAndrewDined on 12/9/2014Not knowing anywhere to eat in London, booking a table here for my wife's 40th birthday was a bit of a stab in the dark. We were not disappointed. The food and friendly service were particularly outstanding. The complimentary bottle of Prosecco and birthday dessert were thoughtful additions. We will return and heartily recommend Cantina for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Great service / Amazing foodDanbVIPDined on 12/9/2014I have to admit Cantina is one of my favourite restaurants in London and I am never disappointed when we go. The menu has about 4/5 dishes in each section and the food quality and quantity was very good. Wine is to a high standard and again the wine list is pretty extensive. Prompt and attentive service given with a smile and not hurried by Leo and we are always made to feel welcome. We had one issue where our food was delayed but we were kept informed and provided with free bread and a glass of prosecco which we were not expecting but a nice touch for the inconvenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014Great ambience, excellent food; perfect for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Spectacular food and serviceSkyFaLoDined on 10/9/2014Ordered a set dinner and we had it outdoor. The food was so good and so as the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly ItaliancrazyekaDined on 7/9/2014Being Italian I always struggle to find the tastes and flavours of my country in so called Italian restaurants abroad as dishes get adapted to the local cuisine. Cantina del Ponte instead kept the traditional Italian flavours in her dishes. The Lasagna and ricotta and spinach ravioli really tasted like back home and the wines selection is very good too. On top of the delicious food the restaurant is located by the river with a spectacular view of the Tower Bridge. The only very minor thing I can say is that the service was a bit slow but this is part of the full Italian experience ;)Special Features:
- Special EventBankside4dinerDined on 7/9/2014We wanted to have a relaxed meal after a special weekend and chose Cantina. We were wary because our last visit some time ago had been a bit of a disaster.The service was excellent and we were able to sit outside because of the very effective heaters. That added to the occasion because the setting is one of the best in London. We were able to use the Evening Standard offer which was great value. The menu offered had a really good choice. We enjoyed ourselves and will now return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Outstanding value on ES promotion. Food choice, quality and quantity was very good. Wine was part of package so probably house, and very acceptable. Prompt and attentive service given with a smile and not hurried.Special Features:
- A very good italian restaurantdavidoneDined on 6/9/2014La Cantina del Ponte is a really good italian restaurant in London: a great variety of italian recipes, all fresh. And the view on Tower Bridge is really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely lunch!Jess77Dined on 6/9/2014Cantina Del Ponte has a wonderful setting overlooking Tower Bridge on the Thames. The setting is very beautiful as well as being great for people watching! Our waiter Claudio was absolutely amazing, even bringing me a surprise birthday pudding! All the staff were friendly, attentive and polite. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be returningErikaDined on 5/9/2014We booked a table using the 2 course deal as we were celebrating buying our first flat and wanted to go somewhere nice. Although the place was nice and service was good the food really let them down. I had the spinach tart which was greasy and rather unappetising. Both mains we had came only with the very basics so side orders were required driving the bill up. Although the mains were fine (salmon and mushroom risotto) they were nothing special. We went to another restaurant for dessertSpecial Features:
- friendly outdoor relaxedspecialoccasionregularDined on 5/9/2014tasty food, good deals, great to sit outside, waiting staff smiley and not pushy - a little late with serving the main courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picturesque venueRozyDined on 4/9/2014Fabulous position. Excellent service. Beautiful food. Once the opera singer arrived my husband made a hadty retreat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a tourist hotspotAdrianDined on 2/9/2014I was nervous about choosing a restaurant in a tourist hotspot to celebrate my 50th birthday but I really did have a great evening at the Cantina del Ponte. Everything we ate was full of flavour; the portions varied between generous and colossal and the ingredients in the seafood dishes and the salads were fresh and well-chosen. The setting is faultless - to be 5 metres from the water's edge with Tower Bridge a few paces away as the sun set was glorious. But the star of the Cantina show is the service. Everyone who came to the table was attentive and friendly; there was nothing to make us feel like just another table of tourists - it was more like being recognised and welcomed in a local neighbourhood Italian. They made it a great birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelissimoMaximusDined on 1/9/2014Great food and fantastic service. Well worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal with great viewsTaaffeyDined on 31/8/2014We went on a Sunday evening with some Australian friends. The view over Tower Bridge is spectacular and very appropriate as our friends had lived in London for 25 years. Staff were very welcoming and service was professional and charming. The food was great Italian staples,beautifully presented and prepared and very reasonable. I would not hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.