1 Bank End
London, SE1 9BUNeighbourhood:
MediterraneanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinavinopolis.com/
- Phone: 02079408333x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday 18:00 - 22:15
Thursday 12:00 - 14:30, 18:00 - 22:15
Friday - Saturday 12:00 - 22:15
Sunday - 12:00 - 16:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: M. A. Wolde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: for parties of 2 up to 200
A word from Cantina Vinopolis
Cantina Vinopolis is found under the massive Victorian arches by the Thames at Bankside Southwark and close to the world famous Borough Market in London Bridge. It is a public restaurant in the wine attraction "Vinopolis" created by award winning restaurateur Claudio Pulze. The food and service are paramount but with the wonderful opportunity to offer a great wine list from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutstanding Value
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Cantina Vinopolis - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina Vinopolis reviews from OpenTable diners
310 reviews since 1 November 2013
group bookings (128)business meals (118)special occasions (110)fit for foodies (98)outstanding value (93)pre/post theatre (77)romance (65)sunday lunch (37)good vegetarian options (33)brunch (32)disabled access (17)child friendly (7)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Good pre Globe theatreMangetoutDined on 26/10/2014We went here for Sunday lunch before a visit to the Sam Wannamaker theatre. The staff were friendly, but I had to remind them to bring the wine. I had a delicious first course of chicken and foie gras pate, but was disappointed with the main which was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. This is always a bit of a gamble in a restaurant, and I'm afraid I lost the bet. The Yorkshire was completely inedible, tough, tasteless with the consistency of rubber. The beef was OK and the vegetables well cooked by I didn't like the smoked flavour of the broccoli. They have a good wine list by the glass. I think it the Sunday lunch is pretty good value at £15 per head for London.Special Features:
- Great service and good valuedinerDined on 25/10/2014Brilliant service from the moment you step in: Greetings, attentive service, good value set menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodmarky1974Dined on 24/10/2014I have visited this restaurant a number of times. On each occasion the food has always been to a high standard. We was a table for 2 on this occasion, and the only let down I felt was the lack of service. We travel to this restaurant from Kent and it is always when we have no children so its a treat. On this visit as said we felt that we were put on the end and left. The only time we saw or spoke to a member of staff was to place food or clear the table.Special Features:
- Cantina Vinopolis 2 courses for £15AMP44Dined on 23/10/2014I always enjoy going to Cantina Vinopoli. The food is good, staff are friendly and helpful and a great location. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Poor serviceluv2dineDined on 18/10/2014The food is just okay - I had a 'medium rare' steak that was more medium-well, and the waiter didn't really have a recommendation or really any knowledge of the menu at all. Service as *very* slow. A nice touch - keeping your wine chilled and bringing it back to your table to top up your glasses - was ruined by waiting staff that didn't pay attention to how full your glasses were. Twice I had to ask someone to top up our empty glasses, and twice they took around 5 minutes to come back to the table. The venue is lovely - my recommendation is to book a table, have a nice glass of wine while you gawp at the architecture, then leave again. Ask for the bill as soon as possible to stand a chance of getting it before you've finished your glass..
- Excellent value and delicious menuSilkeDined on 17/10/2014I had the 2 courses for less than £15 menu with a group and it was brilliant - great quality food in beautiful surroundings and exceptionally attentive staff. We had a wonderful visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for moneykatieambulanceVIPDined on 17/10/2014My boyfriend and I visited on a Friday night after doing some wine tasting. We ate from the promotion 2/3 course menu. Unlike most set menus there is a great amount of variety, around 6 options for each course. I had the squid for starter and my boyfriend had the Spanish ham fritters. Both were delicious and very generously portioned. For main we both had the churrasco. Both bits of meat were cooked to perfection, chips were plentiful and tasty. My only suggestion was it was all a bit dry, sure you do get a sauce with them but there was no other of condiments for the chips. For dessert we had the chocolate mousse which was to die for. Service was great throughout, lovely ambience and of course the wine was superb. Will be returning.Special Features:
- The food is lovely.starDined on 16/10/2014The service was very good, a friend and I went for the 2 course for £14.95 good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review351WDined on 16/10/2014On booking asked for cake to be made with inscription for birthday occasion (owing to late negative response after having chased them, it was then too late), on our arrival the genuinely extremely nice employee looked at my booking and blurted out 'oh, is it your birthday?" which kind of instantly killed my surprise for my partner, not impressed. We were then led to table next to the toilet - on booking I had requested a table not near to the toilet-they had even already confirmed that in writing. Told that cld still have a table in other corner-OK. Quietly grabbed a waiter, gave him candles for dessert instead of cake, they inscribed the plate, several waiters sang Happy Birthday all was fine in the end. Maybe something to be learnt here.Special Features:
- good valuehungryDined on 14/10/2014Staff from from to finish were exemplary. Had squid to start, delicious as much enjoyment as a Michelin starred place. My friend had fish for main, fish was good but veggies apparently slightly undercooked. I had steak, was great and I finished every scrap. My red wine was vinegary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trust having a excellent dinnerGezelligDined on 9/10/2014We have visited Cantina Vinopolis for years and are never let down by the service or food and wine on offer. Excellent space and lovely staff always seem to make it an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable as alwaysDollyMixedUpGirlDined on 6/10/2014Always end up coming back here as we know we will get great food and service for a great price. Another tasty meal this week - gorgeous pumpkin soup and amazing duck. Only didn't have dessert because I was so full! Sure we will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Gluten Free optionsCeliacSisterDined on 2/10/2014Went in on their week night 2 for £15/ 3 for £20 offer. I'm Celiac so I can't really just 'drop' in somewhere for a nice meal unless I just have salad. I could choose from a good 70% of the menu. Good food and a great place to eat with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trek2015DavidDined on 25/9/2014Excellent location for south of the river events. Good choice of food and, as to be expected, a very good wine list. Buzzy ambience and interesting surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaronialImpressmepleaseDined on 20/9/2014Service slow & staff don't all speak English fully. Bill was wrong but only part was corrected by not recalculating the total it was larger than it should have been the included service charge had not been shrunk to reflect the lower cost of the corrected total, this sum was small since I ate alone but if more people had been in the party then the sum would have been larger. The food was not prepared using traditional recipes, so while the name given to items on the menu was traditional, ie, "GAZPACHO", it wasn't authentic, this didn't detract from the superb taste, but the menu should have stated "in the style of" instead of claiming to be that food, no one's allowed to call sparkling wine, champagne, if it isn't from that region.Special Features:
- Good fresh selectionJannerDined on 19/9/2014Used open table app for the first time, was looking for a restaurant that was sensibly prices and good efficent service, this one ticked the bill for Borough area. Good food and clinical almost service, wine selected with food good option. All in all good tasting food. Noticed afterwards when I actually checked the restaurants own website there was a 25% discount code offer if booked direct. Mmmm open table to find a Resturant and then maybe another check to be done in the future.Special Features:
- Great NightDaveDined on 6/9/2014The service was excellent from start to finish, even with the restaurant nearly full. It wasn't rushed, nor were we waiting. The food was great. The seafood dishes especially so. There is a good selection of wine (as you would expect for Vinopolis), but a fair amount of the bottles are priced over £30.Special Features:
- Great place for lunch or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Visited for dinner with a friend. It's a lovely setting next to the wine museum and the food was very good. A nice selection of wine by the glass and lots of fish and seafood options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanaDined on 30/8/2014This was our second visit to Cantina Vinopolis. We went for the first time the previous week and had such a nice meal that we decided to go back. It was hard to believe the food was coming from the same kitchen. There was some kind of problem with the extractor fans too and the place was full of smoke, maybe they couldn't see what they were doing in the kitchen as the food this time was disappointing. I had the same squid starter both times, first time lovely, second time just okay. My main on the second time was cod, supposedly pan fried, but it was a soggy mess. The pork dish I recommended to our guest was half the size of the one I had previously and overcooked. Such a shame, on the first visit everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014We had a group booking. We were sat right next to the open kitchen. The food was very tastey. We chose from the special offer menu which was 3 courses for about £20. The staff provided a good service. My only problem was that by being right next to the kitchen, my eyes were sometimes stinging from the smoke. Every now and then the extractors kicked in and then it was fine until the next build up of smoke. Only stung slightly and didn't ruin the night. We had a very nice time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCloneDined on 28/8/2014Went to celebrate my wife's 30th - found the staff very welcoming and attentive while food and wine were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Wine and Great TasteLadylndhurstDined on 28/8/2014I haven't eaten at Vinopolis for many years, but it was nice to see that it hadn't changed in any of the usual negative ways and still retains it's perdect balance of excellent wine, fine food and unobtrusive atmosphere. I was wowed by the wine waiter's recommended wine, and the food was superb. It was also excellent value due to the special offer provided by Opentable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placestefDined on 27/8/2014Staff were friendly, ambience was good, cocktails and food were very good. Excellent valueSpecial Features:
- sarimaDined on 26/8/2014WE ENJOYED THE DINNER VERY MUCH: THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS AND THE SERVICE PERFECT. WONDERFUL ATMOSPHERE AND PERFECT LOCATION FOR A WALK BY NIGHT ALONG BANKSIDE.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceRussianVIPDined on 23/8/2014Can't fault the food or the service. The £15 meal for two courses is excellent value. Once I saw the desserts going past though, I went for the additional course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice with the offerMmmdinerDined on 19/8/2014We had the offer which made the food a lot more affordable. The food was nice, and it was a really nice atmosphere. The wine of course was great, a huge selection was very pleased with that. The service was fantastic. Would definitely go again and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good on a dealBraininabucketDined on 19/8/2014Came here on a deal which made the meal very good value for money. There were many options for a set menu and the portion sizes were also good. My only gripe is that I came here with a friend for a catch up over a meal and the waiters were overly attentive/ constant. We were asked 2 minutes after we had sat down if we were ready to order, asked 4 times if we wanted coffee and our mains came out as our starters were being cleared - there was no room for breath. We noticed a pair of friends like us who were there to catch up had the same issue. I think this is just the way the restaurant does its service - quick in quick out but it made the meal feel a little rushed and the restaurant near empty by 9.30pm!Special Features:
- Outstanding as usual!swezDined on 18/8/2014This is a favourite of mine and my partners. We have never had a bad experience here and cant believe the quality of the food for the price everytime we go. The lamb hotpot was incredibly flavoursome and delicate at the same time. I would recomend you get in before the deal ends!Special Features:
- Handy for pre/post Globe theatrephoodieDined on 16/8/2014Ten of us enjoyed the OpenTable special offer set menu. We booked for 6.15pm, plenty of time to leave the Globe after a matinee performance and have a drink first. Given the price we were impressed by the variety of dishes on offer. Between us we sampled quite a few starters and main courses, none were found wanting and the grilled Argentinian beef in particular was judged outstandingly good. The service was exceptional - not only welcoming and friendly but extremely efficient, with each dish served to the correct diner at the right time (a welcome change from the 'so which one's having the medium rare beef?' approach). The house red wine was fine, not cheap but acceptable with that low price menu. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but small portionsRacheDined on 15/8/2014I went three weeks before and had such a fantastic time with my husband that I took my best friend for her birthday. Although the food was delicious the portion size had halved this time. I was a little disappointed because I'd ordered the same thing as last time having enjoyed it so much. So overall the food was good, just too small a portion.Special Features:
- vinopolisedgeDined on 9/8/2014We had the 2 course menu for £14.95, which was very good. the duck meat just fell off the bones. Banana crepes were delicious. Delicious wine. Very enjoyable, would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value, pricey winemanracerDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed our meal at Cantina Vinopolis but were shocked at the wine prices. Not much atmosphere at 6.00 but it was busy by the time we left at 7.30, Should be good for pre theatre.Special Features:
- gourmet2VIPDined on 4/8/2014The set menu is excellent value and imaginatively compiled with some original dishes. The standard of cuisine is generally high. The service is good although there was confusion regarding the aperitifs we ordered. The ambience is excellent.Special Features:
- Incredible seafoodfoodiefromputneyDined on 1/8/2014Beautiful venue for dinner, and the wine was as expected superb. Had the crab and prawn starter and lemon sole main course, absolutely superb food, cooked to perfection. Service was pretty unimpressive, we were kind of abandoned once our main course dishes were taken away and had to find someone to ask for more wine and water, weren't offered dessert menus. Apart from that, a wonderful evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ..............................bucktVIPDined on 31/7/2014.........................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre dinnerLive2eatDined on 31/7/2014Great value meal on the special offer. Wined and dined in style and got to the theatre on time. Always enjoy VinopolisSpecial Features:
- ImpressmepleaseImpressmepleaseDined on 19/7/2014Meat had a lot of grissle but was tasty if dry but the leaf salad was drenched with the dressing perhaps this should have been available in a small pot on the side so that it coild be added to personal taste rather to the ideas of the person preparing the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and dining experienceAnnieketDined on 18/7/2014Really lovely place - service really good and food amazing such good choice would definitely come here again.Special Features:
- It was goodPascaleDined on 12/7/2014Everything about the lunch was good - we had to ask for extra bread (to wasn't offered) and also ask for both wine and water to be refilled at least 3 times. The food was delicious but over prices considering that the service wasn't great.Special Features:
- Simply deliciousDilysFitChicDined on 9/7/2014Often one assumes that if the food is heavily discounted there must be some reason why and usually not a good one. Never have I been so wrong! The standard of the food that was served was top class on every level. The taste, presentation, combination of flavours on my plate (I has the Thai squid to start, duck for main and passion fruit tart for dessert) was exquisite. In fact, so good was our meal that I have booked a meal for 40 people for my sister's birthday. In terms of value for money, you cannot go wrong. They've definitely got a regular in me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.