1 Bank End
London, SE1 9BUNeighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinavinopolis.com/
- Phone: 02079408333x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday 18:00 - 22:15
Thursday 12:00 - 14:30, 18:00 - 22:15
Friday - Saturday 12:00 - 22:15
Sunday - 12:00 - 16:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: M. A. Wolde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: for parties of 2 up to 200
A word from Cantina Vinopolis
Cantina Vinopolis is found under the massive Victorian arches by the Thames at Bankside Southwark and close to the world famous Borough Market in London Bridge. It is a public restaurant in the wine attraction "Vinopolis" created by award winning restaurateur Claudio Pulze. The food and service are paramount but with the wonderful opportunity to offer a great wine list from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutstanding Value
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Cantina Vinopolis - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina Vinopolis reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since 19 May 2014
group bookings (132)business meals (112)special occasions (100)fit for foodies (89)outstanding value (86)pre/post theatre (71)romance (62)sunday lunch (40)good vegetarian options (32)brunch (30)disabled access (21)child friendly (7)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Great NightDaveDined on 6/9/2014The service was excellent from start to finish, even with the restaurant nearly full. It wasn't rushed, nor were we waiting. The food was great. The seafood dishes especially so. There is a good selection of wine (as you would expect for Vinopolis), but a fair amount of the bottles are priced over £30.Special Features:
- Great place for lunch or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Visited for dinner with a friend. It's a lovely setting next to the wine museum and the food was very good. A nice selection of wine by the glass and lots of fish and seafood options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanaDined on 30/8/2014This was our second visit to Cantina Vinopolis. We went for the first time the previous week and had such a nice meal that we decided to go back. It was hard to believe the food was coming from the same kitchen. There was some kind of problem with the extractor fans too and the place was full of smoke, maybe they couldn't see what they were doing in the kitchen as the food this time was disappointing. I had the same squid starter both times, first time lovely, second time just okay. My main on the second time was cod, supposedly pan fried, but it was a soggy mess. The pork dish I recommended to our guest was half the size of the one I had previously and overcooked. Such a shame, on the first visit everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014We had a group booking. We were sat right next to the open kitchen. The food was very tastey. We chose from the special offer menu which was 3 courses for about £20. The staff provided a good service. My only problem was that by being right next to the kitchen, my eyes were sometimes stinging from the smoke. Every now and then the extractors kicked in and then it was fine until the next build up of smoke. Only stung slightly and didn't ruin the night. We had a very nice time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCloneDined on 28/8/2014Went to celebrate my wife's 30th - found the staff very welcoming and attentive while food and wine were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Wine and Great TasteLadylndhurstDined on 28/8/2014I haven't eaten at Vinopolis for many years, but it was nice to see that it hadn't changed in any of the usual negative ways and still retains it's perdect balance of excellent wine, fine food and unobtrusive atmosphere. I was wowed by the wine waiter's recommended wine, and the food was superb. It was also excellent value due to the special offer provided by Opentable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placestefDined on 27/8/2014Staff were friendly, ambience was good, cocktails and food were very good. Excellent valueSpecial Features:
- sarimaDined on 26/8/2014WE ENJOYED THE DINNER VERY MUCH: THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS AND THE SERVICE PERFECT. WONDERFUL ATMOSPHERE AND PERFECT LOCATION FOR A WALK BY NIGHT ALONG BANKSIDE.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceRussianVIPDined on 23/8/2014Can't fault the food or the service. The £15 meal for two courses is excellent value. Once I saw the desserts going past though, I went for the additional course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good on a dealBraininabucketDined on 19/8/2014Came here on a deal which made the meal very good value for money. There were many options for a set menu and the portion sizes were also good. My only gripe is that I came here with a friend for a catch up over a meal and the waiters were overly attentive/ constant. We were asked 2 minutes after we had sat down if we were ready to order, asked 4 times if we wanted coffee and our mains came out as our starters were being cleared - there was no room for breath. We noticed a pair of friends like us who were there to catch up had the same issue. I think this is just the way the restaurant does its service - quick in quick out but it made the meal feel a little rushed and the restaurant near empty by 9.30pm!Special Features:
- Outstanding as usual!swezDined on 18/8/2014This is a favourite of mine and my partners. We have never had a bad experience here and cant believe the quality of the food for the price everytime we go. The lamb hotpot was incredibly flavoursome and delicate at the same time. I would recomend you get in before the deal ends!Special Features:
- Handy for pre/post Globe theatrephoodieDined on 16/8/2014Ten of us enjoyed the OpenTable special offer set menu. We booked for 6.15pm, plenty of time to leave the Globe after a matinee performance and have a drink first. Given the price we were impressed by the variety of dishes on offer. Between us we sampled quite a few starters and main courses, none were found wanting and the grilled Argentinian beef in particular was judged outstandingly good. The service was exceptional - not only welcoming and friendly but extremely efficient, with each dish served to the correct diner at the right time (a welcome change from the 'so which one's having the medium rare beef?' approach). The house red wine was fine, not cheap but acceptable with that low price menu. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but small portionsRacheDined on 15/8/2014I went three weeks before and had such a fantastic time with my husband that I took my best friend for her birthday. Although the food was delicious the portion size had halved this time. I was a little disappointed because I'd ordered the same thing as last time having enjoyed it so much. So overall the food was good, just too small a portion.Special Features:
- vinopolisedgeDined on 9/8/2014We had the 2 course menu for £14.95, which was very good. the duck meat just fell off the bones. Banana crepes were delicious. Delicious wine. Very enjoyable, would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value, pricey winemanracerDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed our meal at Cantina Vinopolis but were shocked at the wine prices. Not much atmosphere at 6.00 but it was busy by the time we left at 7.30, Should be good for pre theatre.Special Features:
- gourmet2VIPDined on 4/8/2014The set menu is excellent value and imaginatively compiled with some original dishes. The standard of cuisine is generally high. The service is good although there was confusion regarding the aperitifs we ordered. The ambience is excellent.Special Features:
- Incredible seafoodfoodiefromputneyDined on 1/8/2014Beautiful venue for dinner, and the wine was as expected superb. Had the crab and prawn starter and lemon sole main course, absolutely superb food, cooked to perfection. Service was pretty unimpressive, we were kind of abandoned once our main course dishes were taken away and had to find someone to ask for more wine and water, weren't offered dessert menus. Apart from that, a wonderful evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ..............................bucktVIPDined on 31/7/2014.........................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre dinnerLive2eatDined on 31/7/2014Great value meal on the special offer. Wined and dined in style and got to the theatre on time. Always enjoy VinopolisSpecial Features:
- ImpressmepleaseImpressmepleaseDined on 19/7/2014Meat had a lot of grissle but was tasty if dry but the leaf salad was drenched with the dressing perhaps this should have been available in a small pot on the side so that it coild be added to personal taste rather to the ideas of the person preparing the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and dining experienceAnnieketDined on 18/7/2014Really lovely place - service really good and food amazing such good choice would definitely come here again.Special Features:
- It was goodPascaleDined on 12/7/2014Everything about the lunch was good - we had to ask for extra bread (to wasn't offered) and also ask for both wine and water to be refilled at least 3 times. The food was delicious but over prices considering that the service wasn't great.Special Features:
- Simply deliciousDilysFitChicDined on 9/7/2014Often one assumes that if the food is heavily discounted there must be some reason why and usually not a good one. Never have I been so wrong! The standard of the food that was served was top class on every level. The taste, presentation, combination of flavours on my plate (I has the Thai squid to start, duck for main and passion fruit tart for dessert) was exquisite. In fact, so good was our meal that I have booked a meal for 40 people for my sister's birthday. In terms of value for money, you cannot go wrong. They've definitely got a regular in me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely appalling, never again!ADW1LondonVIPDined on 9/7/2014From the moment we arrived for our 6pm booking, problem after problem! 3 complaints within 5 minutes and then more! One being a member of staff who walked into me so hard, she practically spun me around but did she stop/apologise - absolutely not, just carried on talking and laughing as she walked along with her colleague as if I were invisible! The duty managers excuse was that it was her first day???!!! This happened in front of 4-5 members of staff who were shocked and apologised not quite believing what they had just witnessed!! Handed menu's with no explainationa and left for so long I had to get up and go find a member of staff (near empty restaurant too!) When I asked what the bread was, response was 'brown'! Shocking!Special Features:
- Cantina Vinopolis does it againCrikeymeDined on 8/7/2014We booked a pre-theatre meal at 6.15 (leaving at 7.45) using the special offer of £14.95 for 2 courses - due to travel problems, we ended up not ordering until 7, so fitting in two courses proved impossible. Totally our problem, not the restaurant's, and when our bill arrived charging us for both courses I would have been happy to chalk it up to experience. However, when one of our number pointed this out to our waiter, he immediately offered to serve us our dessert if we were back before 10.30 - not something I felt he needed to do. We did indeed return for dessert and it was as delicious, beautifully presented and courteously served as our main courses. So, many thanks to our waiter and the team at Vinopolis, for their patience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantinadonnaVIPDined on 7/7/2014Food on the set menu disappointing - very odd cod..... and everything was very oily. It is being left behind the quality of other restaurants in the area.
- Great Lunchfiggy1978Dined on 5/7/2014Had a great lunch. Staff attentive. Food was really fresh and flavoursome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but indifferent serviceRoo27Dined on 5/7/2014I went to the restaurant after I received a Buyagift meal for 2 as a present. The food was well cooked and reasonably priced but the service was, at best, perfunctory. No waiters smiled or appeared friendly throughout the meal. My wife was offered bread and, when she asked if there was a gluten-free option, she received a blunt one-word answer ("no!") without further explanation. She was offered bread containing wheat again later by the same waitress who ignored my requests for a slice and turned her back on me. Nobody greeted us when we arrived and nobody said goodbye when we left resulting in a rather sombre atmosphere. Overall the experience rated as fair and could have been improved if the staff showed they cared about their customers.
- Excellent FoodRacheDined on 4/7/2014The food was beautiful and it was a lovely atmosphere. Would definitely book again. We went on the special offer and it was excellent value for money. My only negative was that the service was a little bit quick.Special Features:
- Great vale in LondonTea4twoDined on 4/7/2014The food was very good value; extensive wine choices and very good service. It was interesting to be able to seethe food cooked since it was an open iitchenSpecial Features:
- Good ValueOxondonDined on 3/7/2014On a sunny evening the bar area was an oasis from south bank mayhem. Service and food in the restaurant was very good. Then slow walk home. Good's experience.Special Features:
- Underneath the archesHungryJoeDined on 3/7/2014Two of us had a delicious meal from the promotional menu; smoked salmon and thai squid were sampled for starters, followed by Argentine steak and duck confit. The wine list was extensive; we found a Chilean red for £23 which went down well. No room for the desserts which offered an appetising selection. We'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise PackagealispyDined on 28/6/2014Hidden away round back of Southwark, past Borough Market, where prices are higher,quality of food very good.Liked pork and duck dishes. Buzzy and lively,with high vaulted ceilings.Staff very attentive and lots of them,no delays in service.Good wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- F00dl0ver14Dined on 28/6/2014I've visited Vinopolis on numerous occasions for work and socially. Our recent visit dining with family & friends was good. It was the first time I'd selected the promotional menu and it didn't disappoint despite my husband being of the opinion dishes were smaller; the portions were just right for me. My only criticism is that that we waited a while for our main course; we've never experienced this at Vinopolis before. The wine ordered as one would expect was superb and distracted us a little from the long wait for our mains. We'll not let this deter us from returning as the food on offer is exquisite and our varying diets were catered to.Special Features:
- Offer 15£ for 2 courseseleoDined on 27/6/2014The restaurant looks very nice inside. The choice you have with this offer is good, the food I've tried was all good (except for the duck confit which is quite different from the original french recipe). The value for this offer is good, but for the normal price wouldn't. In addition, at my second time at Vinopolis, I'm again disappointed by the service which is not what you would expect from this classy restaurant. Also (for the second time) the staff serving us didn't look prepared on the wine. Overall good value for this offer but would not recommend in general, don't think I would come back.
- worth a visitLindaDined on 27/6/2014It was quite busy around & about as the restaurant is by Southwark cathedral & there were quite a lot of people around. Nice quiet bar for pre dinner drink. In the restaurant, we were seated right on top of another table but we asked to be moved to a quieter one and the staff were more than happy to oblige. Decor fairly plain. Quite rustic looking with cabinets of wine adorning the walls. Let down a bit by what I presume were extractor fans, above the tables. Looked horrible and didint seem too efficient as there was a slight smell of old cooking fat coming from the open kitchen. Food was very good. 3 courses for £20 with a good choice. Total bill for 2 £90 incl bottle of wine and a cocktail each. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and fairly pricedollymDined on 27/6/2014The food isn't incredible but it's certainly good value. The wine is very good. Steak was a nice main and the starters were tasty if slightly small. Service attentive but very occasionally fussy. Good choice for a reasonably priced meal in a unique setting.
- WooWooDined on 27/6/2014I was meeting a friend for a meal, both coming from very different directions and both late for our reservation but they were very good about that. It was a comfortable restaurant, although not especially busy whilst we were there, they didn't rush us, so perfect for a catch-up lunch, We enjoyed the food a lot. Would definitely eat there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a happy experienceJeffDined on 26/6/2014We ate off a special fixed price menu and although the choices were limited there was enough to cater for the 4 of us all of whom have different tastes. The service was attentive and polite but not overbearing and tbe food was attractively presented and very tasty.All of the party agreed at the end that we had received excellent value and that we would both recommend it and go again.ūSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotCharDined on 26/6/2014You can get the same deals there that you get here, so that was a bit uderwhelmig, but still great value. The space is huge, The wie pairig was excellent, we loved the starters, the main (off the menu deal) were a little less exciting but still quite good options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.