1 Bank End
London, SE1 9BUNeighbourhood:
MediterraneanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinavinopolis.com/
- Phone: 020 7940 8333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday 18:00 - 22:15
Thursday 12:00 - 14:30, 18:00 - 22:15
Friday - Saturday 12:00 - 22:15
Sunday - 12:00 - 16:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: M. A. Wolde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: for parties of 2 up to 200
A word from Cantina Vinopolis
Cantina Vinopolis is found under the massive Victorian arches by the Thames at Bankside Southwark and close to the world famous Borough Market in London Bridge. It is a public restaurant in the wine attraction "Vinopolis" created by award winning restaurateur Claudio Pulze. The food and service are paramount but with the wonderful opportunity to offer a great wine list from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutstanding Value
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Cantina Vinopolis - Best restaurants in London Bridge ›
Cantina Vinopolis reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since 26 November 2013
group bookings (139)business meals (124)special occasions (121)outstanding value (111)fit for foodies (104)pre/post theatre (85)romance (72)sunday lunch (43)good vegetarian options (33)brunch (33)disabled access (15)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Consistently good food in great surroundingsExLibris81Dined on 23/11/2014Another great meal at Cantina Vinopolis, this time for a birthday Sunday lunch - attentive service and well-cooked food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the fixed menuCaraLaraDined on 22/11/2014It was good for the price, but the service was very slow. Ordering wine and getting water was quite difficult and I was really quite parched by the time either came, Food was good, but menu was not as on OpenTable, which made it difficult as I was ordering for someone who was coming later. Ambiance and the location/building was very good. I am not so sure I would visit again as it wasn't spectacular and there are just so many places to eat in London, it takes something special to get me to come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Set Menu.....Emmielou30VIPDined on 21/11/2014I dined at Cantina Vinopolis with a friend on friday night. We went for three courses from the set menu. I'm a vegetarian who hates mushrooms so can sometimes struggle with options on a set menu but the choice was great. I went for the tomato and mozarella salad followed by the gnocci with the banana crepe for dessert. We were also given some delicious foccacia bread after we placed our order. The food was fabulous as was the wine. My only negative points would be that our waiter was a little aloof/arrogant but very helpful with regards to questions about the courses. And when we were initially seated, we were in an empty dining room (took away from the ambience of the venue)........but this soon filled up. Would definitely recommend for the food alone - great value at £19.95 for three courses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor all roundKiwimaestroDined on 20/11/20141st course (one dish) took 50 minutes to arrive. Asked for the Argentinian beef for main course, cooked medium. It came absolutely rare and after waiting 30 minutes for it to arrive after the entree. My partner had the chicken Caesar salad which literally contined only TWO pieces of Parmesan. On the plus side they delivered me a new main course within 10 minutes but overall I would not recommend this restaurant. It is also extremely noisy!
- Good food spoilt by serviceEBAADined on 18/11/2014We went on the special menu 2 courses for £14.95- good choices and nice food. Just spoilt a bit by the service which was a bit brusk and not very attentive. Felt they were hovering to clear even before the cutlery had made it to the plate after the last mouthful! good value though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food great serviceMissRxDined on 17/11/2014As soon as I arrived my coats were hung up in the cloakro for me by the friendly receptionist and we were taken to our table and offers drinks. The wine menu was exceptional with a lot of choices and the food was delicious. Great value for money. I would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/11/2014Staff very nice, courteous, friendly and work hard. However, they also under extreme pressure due to the number of people they are expected to look after so the service suffers as a result. Also too many tables, felt like sardibpnes in a tin.
- Excellent startersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/11/2014The thai grilled squid and charcuterie plate were absolutely delicious however, the duck was a little bland. Service was very attentive. Overall, a good atmosphere and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit - again!karmalkDined on 15/11/20143rd time we have been here in 3 years - another success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely eveningMillieDined on 15/11/2014We had a great evening here, good food, lovely wine and pleasant staff. We had the set menu which represented excellent value for money with pre dinner cocktails and wine with the meal. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too noisy!LondonerDined on 14/11/2014We really enjoyed Cantina Vinopolis and were espeically pleased that even on a busy after-work Friday get together, the noise levels were not so high that we couldn't hear ourselves speak! Very attentive service too, all in all a great evening. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valueWenpDined on 11/11/2014My husband , daughter and I dined here on Tuesday. We ate from the set menu, 2 courses for £14.95, which was excellent value. I had the duck confit which was tasty and fell off the bone, my daughter had the pan fried cod and my husband had the steak. We would recommend all of them and will definitely go back. The staff were attentive and even though there were three large parties around the corner service was good. We look forward to eating there again.Special Features:
- Fantastic but hire more waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014I took two friends from Stockholm here for lunch on a Saturday. The restaurant is great- great location, vibe, the food was exquisite! They'd run out of cod but offered red snapper instead which was some of the best fish I've had in London. Our waiter was literally run off his feet. He was covering an absurd number of tables and as a result we were often left waiting for service. I will say that this was nothing to do with him as he was friendly and professional when he could get to us. Hire more service staff or shut some tables.Special Features:
- Lovely mealnameranonVIPDined on 8/11/2014A delicious meal albeit with some delays between courses and with no vegetables with the main courses bar a whisp of lettuce. Catered for Coeliac disease sufferer well.Special Features:
- Group of 6Tableof6Dined on 8/11/2014Starters – very tasty and food came quickly to the table. Main –We waited over one and a half hour between the starters and the mains to arrive, prior to the arrival of the food another bottle of wine was ordered however did not arrive until everyone have finished which was too late and was sent back. The food was lovely for the majority of the group but was spoiled by a beef share platter turning with under cooked potatoes. The staff did try to rectify however by fresh potatoes (fully cooked) arrived everyone had finished their meal. The restaurant was busy however you would expect for the venue to be able to cope with the amount of covers they allocate and the price charges.Special Features:
- Amazing value for a very tasty mealCMM1Dined on 7/11/2014Our Cantina Vinopolis experience began extremely well as although we were late we were accommodated straight away with a lovely table, I had mentioned at booking that it was a special meal and they clearly took more of this. The meal itself was excellent, we each has the two course offer and this was outstanding value for great tasting and looking food I would have paid twice the price for. We all had great dishes there wasn't one week one. The meal exceeded all our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value set menunhframeDined on 5/11/2014Really impressed with the set menu offer at Cantina Vinopolis - lots of choice, everything was delicious, and it's great value. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick dinner before a show....SpicyNoodleDined on 1/11/2014Alerted waiter to the fact we had tickets to a show and everything was served within our time frame. Perfect. Goats cheese Bon bons to start - super good. Argentinian steak was perfectly cooked, not tough and loads of chips. Duck too was tasty. And the gnocchi was plentiful but still managed to devour it completely. No deserts had but looked good choice in menu. £14.95 for 2 courses which were outstanding. The alcoholic drinks did make up the bill however.Special Features:
- Group bookingcastockyDined on 30/10/2014A great place for a large group - food good value for the set menuSpecial Features:
- Good pre Globe theatreMangetoutDined on 26/10/2014We went here for Sunday lunch before a visit to the Sam Wannamaker theatre. The staff were friendly, but I had to remind them to bring the wine. I had a delicious first course of chicken and foie gras pate, but was disappointed with the main which was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. This is always a bit of a gamble in a restaurant, and I'm afraid I lost the bet. The Yorkshire was completely inedible, tough, tasteless with the consistency of rubber. The beef was OK and the vegetables well cooked by I didn't like the smoked flavour of the broccoli. They have a good wine list by the glass. I think it the Sunday lunch is pretty good value at £15 per head for London.Special Features:
- Great service and good valuedinerDined on 25/10/2014Brilliant service from the moment you step in: Greetings, attentive service, good value set menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodmarky1974Dined on 24/10/2014I have visited this restaurant a number of times. On each occasion the food has always been to a high standard. We was a table for 2 on this occasion, and the only let down I felt was the lack of service. We travel to this restaurant from Kent and it is always when we have no children so its a treat. On this visit as said we felt that we were put on the end and left. The only time we saw or spoke to a member of staff was to place food or clear the table.Special Features:
- Cantina Vinopolis 2 courses for £15AMP44Dined on 23/10/2014I always enjoy going to Cantina Vinopoli. The food is good, staff are friendly and helpful and a great location. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Poor serviceluv2dineDined on 18/10/2014The food is just okay - I had a 'medium rare' steak that was more medium-well, and the waiter didn't really have a recommendation or really any knowledge of the menu at all. Service as *very* slow. A nice touch - keeping your wine chilled and bringing it back to your table to top up your glasses - was ruined by waiting staff that didn't pay attention to how full your glasses were. Twice I had to ask someone to top up our empty glasses, and twice they took around 5 minutes to come back to the table. The venue is lovely - my recommendation is to book a table, have a nice glass of wine while you gawp at the architecture, then leave again. Ask for the bill as soon as possible to stand a chance of getting it before you've finished your glass..
- Excellent value and delicious menuSilkeDined on 17/10/2014I had the 2 courses for less than £15 menu with a group and it was brilliant - great quality food in beautiful surroundings and exceptionally attentive staff. We had a wonderful visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for moneykatieambulanceVIPDined on 17/10/2014My boyfriend and I visited on a Friday night after doing some wine tasting. We ate from the promotion 2/3 course menu. Unlike most set menus there is a great amount of variety, around 6 options for each course. I had the squid for starter and my boyfriend had the Spanish ham fritters. Both were delicious and very generously portioned. For main we both had the churrasco. Both bits of meat were cooked to perfection, chips were plentiful and tasty. My only suggestion was it was all a bit dry, sure you do get a sauce with them but there was no other of condiments for the chips. For dessert we had the chocolate mousse which was to die for. Service was great throughout, lovely ambience and of course the wine was superb. Will be returning.Special Features:
- The food is lovely.starDined on 16/10/2014The service was very good, a friend and I went for the 2 course for £14.95 good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review351WDined on 16/10/2014On booking asked for cake to be made with inscription for birthday occasion (owing to late negative response after having chased them, it was then too late), on our arrival the genuinely extremely nice employee looked at my booking and blurted out 'oh, is it your birthday?" which kind of instantly killed my surprise for my partner, not impressed. We were then led to table next to the toilet - on booking I had requested a table not near to the toilet-they had even already confirmed that in writing. Told that cld still have a table in other corner-OK. Quietly grabbed a waiter, gave him candles for dessert instead of cake, they inscribed the plate, several waiters sang Happy Birthday all was fine in the end. Maybe something to be learnt here.Special Features:
- good valuehungryDined on 14/10/2014Staff from from to finish were exemplary. Had squid to start, delicious as much enjoyment as a Michelin starred place. My friend had fish for main, fish was good but veggies apparently slightly undercooked. I had steak, was great and I finished every scrap. My red wine was vinegary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IanrustyVIPDined on 11/10/2014We went for lunch and were surprised at how busy the restaurant was. The food was good quality and well presented representing excellent value with the Opentable offer. The service was quick and friendly.Special Features:
- Trust having a excellent dinnerGezelligDined on 9/10/2014We have visited Cantina Vinopolis for years and are never let down by the service or food and wine on offer. Excellent space and lovely staff always seem to make it an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable as alwaysDollyMixedUpGirlDined on 6/10/2014Always end up coming back here as we know we will get great food and service for a great price. Another tasty meal this week - gorgeous pumpkin soup and amazing duck. Only didn't have dessert because I was so full! Sure we will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Gluten Free optionsCeliacSisterDined on 2/10/2014Went in on their week night 2 for £15/ 3 for £20 offer. I'm Celiac so I can't really just 'drop' in somewhere for a nice meal unless I just have salad. I could choose from a good 70% of the menu. Good food and a great place to eat with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trek2015DavidDined on 25/9/2014Excellent location for south of the river events. Good choice of food and, as to be expected, a very good wine list. Buzzy ambience and interesting surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaronialImpressmepleaseDined on 20/9/2014Service slow & staff don't all speak English fully. Bill was wrong but only part was corrected by not recalculating the total it was larger than it should have been the included service charge had not been shrunk to reflect the lower cost of the corrected total, this sum was small since I ate alone but if more people had been in the party then the sum would have been larger. The food was not prepared using traditional recipes, so while the name given to items on the menu was traditional, ie, "GAZPACHO", it wasn't authentic, this didn't detract from the superb taste, but the menu should have stated "in the style of" instead of claiming to be that food, no one's allowed to call sparkling wine, champagne, if it isn't from that region.Special Features:
- Good fresh selectionJannerDined on 19/9/2014Used open table app for the first time, was looking for a restaurant that was sensibly prices and good efficent service, this one ticked the bill for Borough area. Good food and clinical almost service, wine selected with food good option. All in all good tasting food. Noticed afterwards when I actually checked the restaurants own website there was a 25% discount code offer if booked direct. Mmmm open table to find a Resturant and then maybe another check to be done in the future.Special Features:
- Great NightDaveDined on 6/9/2014The service was excellent from start to finish, even with the restaurant nearly full. It wasn't rushed, nor were we waiting. The food was great. The seafood dishes especially so. There is a good selection of wine (as you would expect for Vinopolis), but a fair amount of the bottles are priced over £30.Special Features:
- Great place for lunch or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Visited for dinner with a friend. It's a lovely setting next to the wine museum and the food was very good. A nice selection of wine by the glass and lots of fish and seafood options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanaDined on 30/8/2014This was our second visit to Cantina Vinopolis. We went for the first time the previous week and had such a nice meal that we decided to go back. It was hard to believe the food was coming from the same kitchen. There was some kind of problem with the extractor fans too and the place was full of smoke, maybe they couldn't see what they were doing in the kitchen as the food this time was disappointing. I had the same squid starter both times, first time lovely, second time just okay. My main on the second time was cod, supposedly pan fried, but it was a soggy mess. The pork dish I recommended to our guest was half the size of the one I had previously and overcooked. Such a shame, on the first visit everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014We had a group booking. We were sat right next to the open kitchen. The food was very tastey. We chose from the special offer menu which was 3 courses for about £20. The staff provided a good service. My only problem was that by being right next to the kitchen, my eyes were sometimes stinging from the smoke. Every now and then the extractors kicked in and then it was fine until the next build up of smoke. Only stung slightly and didn't ruin the night. We had a very nice time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.