135 Whitecross Street
London, EC1Y 8JLNeighbourhood:
VegetarianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072503452
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 11:30am - 11:30pm Sat: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Mediterranean, Vegan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carnevale Restaurant
Carnevale Restaurant in London's Hoxton is one of the new faces of vegetarian cuisine, serving unusual and intriguing vegetarian dishes with a Mediterranean inflection. Tucked away on a side street, this gem of a restaurant is a terrific choice for pre-concert or pre-theatre meals before heading to the Barbican or St Luke's. Carnevale is almost as popular with unreconstructed omnivores as it is with dedicated vegetarians. From the street it appears to be a tiny treasure trove of unusual and intriguing ingredients and most first time visitors are surprised to find the handful of pine tables and chairs in the back of the store, leading out to a cool and shady courtyard. Equally astounding is Carnevale’s wide choice of Mediterranean style meat-free food – sharing plates, snacks and full, hearty meals – with plenty of nut-free, gluten-free and vegan choices too. And Carnevale complements its meat-free menu with an interesting wine list of organic and local labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
Carnevale Restaurant - Best restaurants in Moorgate ›
Carnevale Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since 22 October 2013
good vegetarian options (103)fit for foodies (32)outstanding value (27)pre/post theatre (18)romance (14)outdoor eating (10)group bookings (9)brunch (7)sunday lunch (7)special occasions (7)child friendly (5)afternoon tea (4)disabled access (3)business meals (2)Show More
- Nice, and a bit quirkyWhiskyJack14Dined on 7/10/2014This had more of a daytime cafe feel to it rather than an evening dining experience, and the tables are rather close together! food overall was good, Starters were fabulous, and while we enjoyed our main course, it wasn't quite as good as the starters - it didn't have the same complexity of flavour we had enjoyed in our first course, but was still a good dish. Dessert was delicious, I highly recommend the chocolate roulade (and would go back again just for that!) The drinks are reasonably priced, and the house red was decent. It's certainly a restaurant I would happily go back to and know that I would enjoy good food at great valueSpecial Features:
- Best vegan food in LondonEmmaEFDined on 19/9/2014Best vegetarian and vegan food in London - always excellent. As a repeat guest, would like a bit more variation in the menu - but it is always reliably delicious.Special Features:
- Veggie delightYumaDined on 12/9/2014The choice of vegetarian food is lovely and everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best veggie in towns83nVIPDined on 13/8/2014I have been to many restaurants for vegetarian food but I struggle to find one better than this. With the 40% off it was great value and you really do get full at the end.
- Nice placeFoodie1Dined on 12/8/2014Quality vegetarian and Vegan food, nice atmosphere and friendly place to eat. It's really small however and if busy could potentially cause problems for those who like space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegetarian restaurantPrincessDined on 8/8/2014Excellent value with the opentable deal of 40% off food. I was in a group of four, and we ordered a variety of food. All of it was excellent. When we were due to leave, it started pouring down with rain, so we were told we could keep our table. A small thing, but it was a lovely gesture. I recommend this place to all of my vegetarian friends :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food shame about the...Chimpster38Dined on 6/8/2014Bites. The restaurant is excessively small and we were stuck in a corner not able to comfortably talk to each other and then I felt searing pain in my ankle... I had been bitten and consequently have been unable to put lace up shoes on for four days. Also the restaurant is very hot. It has an air conditioning unit but the staff just didn't seem to want to use it. I would recommend travelling the distance for the food as it is interesting and tasty but would suggest you take it away with you. The staff were very lovely and I feel mean saying this but it was not a dining experience I would want again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationgoodfoodhunterDined on 2/8/2014The restaurant was busy but that is not a good enough excuse for delivering almost cold food to the table. If it were not for the Open Table discount offered it would have been very overpriced. Disappointing experience.Special Features:
- ArthurDined on 2/8/2014This was my second occaision at this small and friendly restaurant and what the place lacks in ambience, makes up for with the good quality vegetarian restaurant. Like all good vegetarian restaurants in London. I think the prices are a bit on the high side were it not for the reduced price special offer which has been available for some time now. If you have friends who are aceptical of eating without meat on their plate then this is a good place to bring them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return to an old hauntcupcakeVIPDined on 31/7/2014It's years since I ate here and so glad to have returned. Had a nice meal with a friend and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great veggie foodLadyODined on 17/7/2014My partner and I had a lovely meal in this small, but busy restaurant. As we both live and work locally we had been planning to try Carnevale out for some time, but somehow only managed to do so last week. We were very glad we did. There were plenty of vegan options for us, and the food was very good, especially the chocolate roulade. Our waitress was very friendly and not too intrusive and the 40% off offer made the meal incredibly good value Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but i didnt feel welcomedrickyspanishDined on 12/7/2014booking for 2 on a saturday evening at 21.45.I enter the restaurant and someone follows me from the outside.I got asked something like: what do you want?!(By the body language and tone of voice)as i perceived it. I tell of my booking and a man brings me to the table with menus.After i ask him what time does the kitchen close? (23.00)he walks away without asking me for anything.i m left there with No music and a dirty table on my side that stayed til the end.I take a look at the menu and i ask a water for which he brings me just one glass.I go and get my guest.by ten past ten we choose our courses and 1hour we re out. Dishes: great and fast and tasty. The service: i just didnt feel very welcomed. Like they were not pleased to have me there..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Vegetarian RestaurantVickyWingDined on 2/7/2014I am not a vegetarian but absolutely love this place. Every time any of my vegetarian friends are in the city I always book this restaurant. It is small, quaint and the staff are so friendly and passionate about their jobs which I love. I had the gnocchi to start and the pumpkin ravioli covered in gorgeous puy lentils for main course and i think I would order the same again as it was absolutely amazing. Thank you Carnevale for a fab experience.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunchanonymousDined on 24/6/2014Really lovely food and lots to choose from - plenty of variety for vegetarians and vegans, and tasty enough to be appealing to everyone. Nice ambience, but slightly distracted service because of the market stall outside splitting front of house staff between the stall and the restaurant.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beVioletDined on 6/6/2014The service was amateurish and the girl who was waitressing, spent most of her time reading a book behind a counter. I noticed the only other couple there, getting up to fetch their own salt and pepper and oil! The food was average rather than excellent as it used to be. The lavatory appeared to be flooded. Altogether, we decided that we would not visit Carnevale again.Special Features:
- Great little spotRosieDined on 30/5/2014Great little spot, large range of vegan options, friendly unhurried service and excellent vegan chocolate raspberry roulade. Excellent value if you book and get the 40% off discount. It's cash only at the moment though, so be prepared, there was a little pilgrimage of people going to waitrose to get cash back to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnevale VegetarianReviewer1VIPDined on 22/5/2014Carnevale Vegetarian - cozy restaurant, vegetarian/gluten-free/vegan heaven, including organic wines from the UK, overall good experience and tasty food considering such a small operation!Special Features:
- Still excellent after all these yrsluncherDined on 22/5/2014So nice to come here again and find good choice of food, of course all vegetarian. Perfect pre-Barbican supper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martyVIPDined on 17/5/2014Starters were very good but I ordered Risotto as a main course which came out looking and tasting like mash potato. I couldn't see one whole grain of rice. Very disappointing as food in the past has been good. I complained and the waitress apologised and glass of Vino Santo between two. Not sure id go back
- goodMP13Dined on 9/5/2014food and service is great. the only thing that lets this great little establishment down is the ambience. if you are inside in the main part of the restaurant, the walls are very bland, with no decor or ambience. if you can, get a table outside in the conservatory, there's more space and nicer atmosphere.
- Veggie HeavenMJinLondonDined on 5/5/2014Delicious food, generous portions, attentive but not overbearing service = we loved it!Special Features:
- Unpretetentious, generous, tastyvegloverDined on 3/5/2014Really enjoyed eating at Carnevale. Portions are generous, food is tasty (check out the squash, aubergine and pepper harissa casserole) and made on the premises rather than shipped in by lorry. There is a wide range of dishes for all courses, most with a strong Mediterranean influence. It makes a change to be spoilt for choice! Service is genuinely friendly and quick. If one dish had to stand out it was a generous portion of chocolate roulade that almost defeated even my dining companion's capacity. Home-made lemonade was another hit, just the thing to refresh the palate after a day in London.Special Features:
- Very expensiveFoodieDined on 2/5/2014We went on the 40% off deal. I am very glad we didn't have to pay full price as it would've been way too expensive otherwise. The food was ok, the ambience was poor, there was no background music, the decor was very basic & the place did not exude the rustic charm that we were expecting. We were told at the end of our meal that dessert didn't count as a course. We probably won't be going back there again.
- Good food-anonDined on 25/4/2014Even for meat eaters! Lovely atmosphere, helpful staff, good offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant foodV4meDined on 12/4/2014The food was amazing; absolutely flawless. The wine was good also. It was a shame that we were the only people in there though. I would definitely go again though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We were promised 40% off the bill yet we never got this, and didn't realise until I had got home and reviewed my bookingSpecial Features:
- Good value with the Top table offerKarenDined on 11/4/2014Great vegetarian restaurant near the Barbican. reliable every time.Special Features:
- good value with Toptable dealDutchGDined on 9/4/2014Not too keen on the gnocci, but the ravioli was lovely and service attentive. Lovely vegetarian choices and freshly prepared. Simple surrounderings bordering on basic, but all part of the charm.Special Features:
- amazing vegetarianFoodieDined on 9/4/2014This place was highly recommended to me so I thought I would give it a try as only recently I had decided to change my diet. The service was attentive a friendly the food was out if this world and very large portions. I practically ate my whole days worth of food in 1 sitting and I did not have desert. Servings are very generous. Definitely coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European food without meatMartinLDined on 29/3/2014Nice food, good vegan options. Well presented and tasty.Special Features:
- OK but not memorable.homecookDined on 29/3/2014A little disappointing but acceptable.Somehow the meal was not as good as last time . It was still reasonable with the 40% discount.
- Rossini was a gourmet andRossiniDined on 24/3/2014Rossini was a gourmet and great lover of life. Although a dedicated meat eater, even he would have relished this imaginative and tasty veggie food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant weekday supperajrdDined on 20/3/2014I came with a friend on a Thursday evening and the restaurant was all but deserted, so there wasn't much of an atmosphere. That said, the staff were friendly, attentive and efficient and the food pretty good. I'd go back.Special Features:
- Tip topscissors13Dined on 17/3/2014The price of the food in Carnevale may be a bit steep and the restaurant exceedingly cosy but there is an excellent range of very tasty veggie dishes.Special Features:
- Very quietLinFDined on 17/3/2014Was nobody else in the restaurant for most of our meal so very quiet and bright. Food was mainly really good, though a little hit and miss with the various courses. Service was lovely though.Special Features:
- ConsistentfitproVIPDined on 12/3/2014Great fresh basic food - be prepared to wait as they have a market stall outside so selling more to passing custom than restaurant diners. Plus : deli plate tasty basic & healthy, Ismile & Allesandro great staff. Negative: seems the 'discretionary service' not so -I was ready to tip on my own choice however to remove service & pay separate in cash was treated with wall of difficulties.Special Features:
- Friday night3diningoutDined on 7/3/2014We all chose different meals and each enjoyed - aubergine, ravioli and potato cakes. Wine (house white) excellent. Atmosphere a bit stark and quiet but got better as evening went on. Waitress a bit unengaged. Would go again for informal diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliverfitproVIPDined on 7/3/2014Love here especially the clean, bright and fresh food. Fan of the deli plate - tend to order 2 as so moreish (carrots, brocolli, beetroot faves). Never seen a bad dish here would convert many carnivores. Only wished I lived nearer. Only downside on this visit was being told I couldn't have a bigger table as fully booked yet 1 - 2 hours later the 'bigger tables' were still unoccupied. I even offered to move back to smaller table should it get busy. On this occasion understaffed yet Alesandro & Ismile worked wonders & ensured all was great with the food. Top marks to the staff. Please just seating policy perhaps needs a rethink?Special Features:
- Very small and informal (itstrickynickyDined on 1/3/2014Very small and informal (its almost like being in someone's dining room in their kitchen!). One waitress who was very friendly and efficient. shared a starter, which wasn't that special, (lots of dips and no pittas or bread to dunk in them) but the vegan sausage and mash was excellent, and the vegan gluten free chocolate cake was truly amazing! Really good organic wine too.
- Fab Resturant no frills downGresham99Dined on 28/2/2014Fab Resturant no frills down to earth great food, good value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.