135 Whitecross Street
London, EC1Y 8JLNeighbourhood:
VegetarianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7250 3452
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 11:30am - 11:30pm Sat: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Mediterranean, Vegan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carnevale Restaurant
Carnevale Restaurant in London's Hoxton is one of the new faces of vegetarian cuisine, serving unusual and intriguing vegetarian dishes with a Mediterranean inflection. Tucked away on a side street, this gem of a restaurant is a terrific choice for pre-concert or pre-theatre meals before heading to the Barbican or St Luke's. Carnevale is almost as popular with unreconstructed omnivores as it is with dedicated vegetarians. From the street it appears to be a tiny treasure trove of unusual and intriguing ingredients and most first time visitors are surprised to find the handful of pine tables and chairs in the back of the store, leading out to a cool and shady courtyard. Equally astounding is Carnevale’s wide choice of Mediterranean style meat-free food – sharing plates, snacks and full, hearty meals – with plenty of nut-free, gluten-free and vegan choices too. And Carnevale complements its meat-free menu with an interesting wine list of organic and local labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
Carnevale Restaurant - Best restaurants in Moorgate ›
Carnevale Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since 23 November 2013
good vegetarian options (102)fit for foodies (33)outstanding value (29)pre/post theatre (18)romance (14)group bookings (10)outdoor eating (10)special occasions (7)sunday lunch (7)brunch (6)child friendly (4)disabled access (3)afternoon tea (3)business meals (3)Show More
- Great little restaurant in the cityRmiddletonDined on 11/11/2014I had only discovered this restaurant a couple of weeks prior to my second visit but I just had to come back to bring more friends and try some of the options that I hadn't picked the first time. I (and my friends) weren't disappointed at all. Amazing food for great value. The halloumi, risotto and sorbet are my favourites so far! It is only a small restaurant but it was noticeably quieter on a Tuesday evening compared to a Thursday, and unfortunately this resulted in the waitress being a bit too keen to keep asking us if we needed anything or had decided yet. I had very much enjoyed the thoroughly unrushed nature of my first visit which this wasn't but the waitress was still pleasant and it didn't spoil my evening. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and am planning on returning again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and great valuetaggoDined on 5/11/2014Can't find enough nice things to say about this restaurant. The service was friendly, the food was excellent (I would happily have eaten anything from the menu and tried some of the the other members of my party's meals and was really impressed) and it was excellent value. It's only 5-10 minutes walk from the Barbican and near to Hoxton/Old Street so good for pre-theatre or night out. I have already recommended it to a number of vegetarian and meat eating friends and am planning to return soon. The only slight drawback is that the main room is slightly small or cosy but you really shouldn't be put off by this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab vegetarian food!SpotsndotsDined on 4/11/2014We booked as one of us is vegetarian and it was a central location for us to meet - just round the corner from the Barbican we were really impressed! The restaurant is small but has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the food was amazing, in particular the halloumi starter. We will definitely be going back and would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great find!RmiddletonDined on 30/10/2014Our meals were delicious. A lot of choice and at under £40 for two three-course meals, two soft drinks and a tip it was great value. Would definitely recommend trying out with the 40% offer. I'll be going back to try the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian treatJW2012Dined on 30/10/2014We had a delicious two course dinner before going to the Barbican Thestre. I had the stuffed aubergine - excellent. Oh yes, olives too and the house red. Manchego cheese to follow. Prompt service. My third visit and it won't be the last to this simple welcoming restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MilkyDined on 27/10/2014The food and service was fantastic! Perfect for vegetarians and especially with the offer, however, I would suggest the decor be upgraded to match the quality of the food, for me there was somewhat of a disconnection between the two. But if you're ofter great food and don't care where you eat it, then this place is spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food, quaint settingSimonDined on 20/10/2014Loved the food here - can't remember the last time we ate 3 courses with a side dish. Quality and choice is great, and the service was very attentive. It's not a posh eatery, but it is quite quaint and we really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Decent food!NtrivDined on 16/10/2014Went with partner who is also vegetarian. Good choice of vegetarian food. Tasty & good portion size. Small venue but definitely worth a visit for any vegetarians or those who enjoy veg food!Special Features:
- Nice, and a bit quirkyWhiskyJack14Dined on 7/10/2014This had more of a daytime cafe feel to it rather than an evening dining experience, and the tables are rather close together! food overall was good, Starters were fabulous, and while we enjoyed our main course, it wasn't quite as good as the starters - it didn't have the same complexity of flavour we had enjoyed in our first course, but was still a good dish. Dessert was delicious, I highly recommend the chocolate roulade (and would go back again just for that!) The drinks are reasonably priced, and the house red was decent. It's certainly a restaurant I would happily go back to and know that I would enjoy good food at great valueSpecial Features:
- Best vegan food in LondonEmmaEFDined on 19/9/2014Best vegetarian and vegan food in London - always excellent. As a repeat guest, would like a bit more variation in the menu - but it is always reliably delicious.Special Features:
- Veggie delightYumaDined on 12/9/2014The choice of vegetarian food is lovely and everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best veggie in towns83nVIPDined on 13/8/2014I have been to many restaurants for vegetarian food but I struggle to find one better than this. With the 40% off it was great value and you really do get full at the end.
- Nice placeFoodie1Dined on 12/8/2014Quality vegetarian and Vegan food, nice atmosphere and friendly place to eat. It's really small however and if busy could potentially cause problems for those who like space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegetarian restaurantPrincessDined on 8/8/2014Excellent value with the opentable deal of 40% off food. I was in a group of four, and we ordered a variety of food. All of it was excellent. When we were due to leave, it started pouring down with rain, so we were told we could keep our table. A small thing, but it was a lovely gesture. I recommend this place to all of my vegetarian friends :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food shame about the...Chimpster38Dined on 6/8/2014Bites. The restaurant is excessively small and we were stuck in a corner not able to comfortably talk to each other and then I felt searing pain in my ankle... I had been bitten and consequently have been unable to put lace up shoes on for four days. Also the restaurant is very hot. It has an air conditioning unit but the staff just didn't seem to want to use it. I would recommend travelling the distance for the food as it is interesting and tasty but would suggest you take it away with you. The staff were very lovely and I feel mean saying this but it was not a dining experience I would want again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationgoodfoodhunterDined on 2/8/2014The restaurant was busy but that is not a good enough excuse for delivering almost cold food to the table. If it were not for the Open Table discount offered it would have been very overpriced. Disappointing experience.Special Features:
- ArthurDined on 2/8/2014This was my second occaision at this small and friendly restaurant and what the place lacks in ambience, makes up for with the good quality vegetarian restaurant. Like all good vegetarian restaurants in London. I think the prices are a bit on the high side were it not for the reduced price special offer which has been available for some time now. If you have friends who are aceptical of eating without meat on their plate then this is a good place to bring them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return to an old hauntcupcakeVIPDined on 31/7/2014It's years since I ate here and so glad to have returned. Had a nice meal with a friend and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great veggie foodLadyODined on 17/7/2014My partner and I had a lovely meal in this small, but busy restaurant. As we both live and work locally we had been planning to try Carnevale out for some time, but somehow only managed to do so last week. We were very glad we did. There were plenty of vegan options for us, and the food was very good, especially the chocolate roulade. Our waitress was very friendly and not too intrusive and the 40% off offer made the meal incredibly good value Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but i didnt feel welcomedrickyspanishDined on 12/7/2014booking for 2 on a saturday evening at 21.45.I enter the restaurant and someone follows me from the outside.I got asked something like: what do you want?!(By the body language and tone of voice)as i perceived it. I tell of my booking and a man brings me to the table with menus.After i ask him what time does the kitchen close? (23.00)he walks away without asking me for anything.i m left there with No music and a dirty table on my side that stayed til the end.I take a look at the menu and i ask a water for which he brings me just one glass.I go and get my guest.by ten past ten we choose our courses and 1hour we re out. Dishes: great and fast and tasty. The service: i just didnt feel very welcomed. Like they were not pleased to have me there..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Vegetarian RestaurantVickyWingDined on 2/7/2014I am not a vegetarian but absolutely love this place. Every time any of my vegetarian friends are in the city I always book this restaurant. It is small, quaint and the staff are so friendly and passionate about their jobs which I love. I had the gnocchi to start and the pumpkin ravioli covered in gorgeous puy lentils for main course and i think I would order the same again as it was absolutely amazing. Thank you Carnevale for a fab experience.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunchanonymousDined on 24/6/2014Really lovely food and lots to choose from - plenty of variety for vegetarians and vegans, and tasty enough to be appealing to everyone. Nice ambience, but slightly distracted service because of the market stall outside splitting front of house staff between the stall and the restaurant.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beVioletDined on 6/6/2014The service was amateurish and the girl who was waitressing, spent most of her time reading a book behind a counter. I noticed the only other couple there, getting up to fetch their own salt and pepper and oil! The food was average rather than excellent as it used to be. The lavatory appeared to be flooded. Altogether, we decided that we would not visit Carnevale again.Special Features:
- Great little spotRosieDined on 30/5/2014Great little spot, large range of vegan options, friendly unhurried service and excellent vegan chocolate raspberry roulade. Excellent value if you book and get the 40% off discount. It's cash only at the moment though, so be prepared, there was a little pilgrimage of people going to waitrose to get cash back to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnevale VegetarianReviewer1VIPDined on 22/5/2014Carnevale Vegetarian - cozy restaurant, vegetarian/gluten-free/vegan heaven, including organic wines from the UK, overall good experience and tasty food considering such a small operation!Special Features:
- Still excellent after all these yrsluncherDined on 22/5/2014So nice to come here again and find good choice of food, of course all vegetarian. Perfect pre-Barbican supper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martyVIPDined on 17/5/2014Starters were very good but I ordered Risotto as a main course which came out looking and tasting like mash potato. I couldn't see one whole grain of rice. Very disappointing as food in the past has been good. I complained and the waitress apologised and glass of Vino Santo between two. Not sure id go back
- goodMP13Dined on 9/5/2014food and service is great. the only thing that lets this great little establishment down is the ambience. if you are inside in the main part of the restaurant, the walls are very bland, with no decor or ambience. if you can, get a table outside in the conservatory, there's more space and nicer atmosphere.
- Veggie HeavenMJinLondonDined on 5/5/2014Delicious food, generous portions, attentive but not overbearing service = we loved it!Special Features:
- Unpretetentious, generous, tastyvegloverDined on 3/5/2014Really enjoyed eating at Carnevale. Portions are generous, food is tasty (check out the squash, aubergine and pepper harissa casserole) and made on the premises rather than shipped in by lorry. There is a wide range of dishes for all courses, most with a strong Mediterranean influence. It makes a change to be spoilt for choice! Service is genuinely friendly and quick. If one dish had to stand out it was a generous portion of chocolate roulade that almost defeated even my dining companion's capacity. Home-made lemonade was another hit, just the thing to refresh the palate after a day in London.Special Features:
- Very expensiveFoodieDined on 2/5/2014We went on the 40% off deal. I am very glad we didn't have to pay full price as it would've been way too expensive otherwise. The food was ok, the ambience was poor, there was no background music, the decor was very basic & the place did not exude the rustic charm that we were expecting. We were told at the end of our meal that dessert didn't count as a course. We probably won't be going back there again.
- Good food-anonDined on 25/4/2014Even for meat eaters! Lovely atmosphere, helpful staff, good offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant foodV4meDined on 12/4/2014The food was amazing; absolutely flawless. The wine was good also. It was a shame that we were the only people in there though. I would definitely go again though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We were promised 40% off the bill yet we never got this, and didn't realise until I had got home and reviewed my bookingSpecial Features:
- Good value with the Top table offerKarenDined on 11/4/2014Great vegetarian restaurant near the Barbican. reliable every time.Special Features:
- good value with Toptable dealDutchGDined on 9/4/2014Not too keen on the gnocci, but the ravioli was lovely and service attentive. Lovely vegetarian choices and freshly prepared. Simple surrounderings bordering on basic, but all part of the charm.Special Features:
- amazing vegetarianFoodieDined on 9/4/2014This place was highly recommended to me so I thought I would give it a try as only recently I had decided to change my diet. The service was attentive a friendly the food was out if this world and very large portions. I practically ate my whole days worth of food in 1 sitting and I did not have desert. Servings are very generous. Definitely coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European food without meatMartinLDined on 29/3/2014Nice food, good vegan options. Well presented and tasty.Special Features:
- OK but not memorable.homecookDined on 29/3/2014A little disappointing but acceptable.Somehow the meal was not as good as last time . It was still reasonable with the 40% discount.
- Rossini was a gourmet andRossiniDined on 24/3/2014Rossini was a gourmet and great lover of life. Although a dedicated meat eater, even he would have relished this imaginative and tasty veggie food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.