100 Wardour Street
London, W1F 0TNNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caromsoho.com/
- Phone: 02073144002x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12pm - until late
Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vishnu Natarajan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carom Soho
Carom restaurant serves up authentic Indian dishes with an emphasis on spontaneity and seasonality, a bust of Indian colour in in the heart of London's Soho.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carom Soho reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since 23 October 2013
group bookings (128)pre/post theatre (114)special occasions (104)fit for foodies (101)good vegetarian options (91)outstanding value (75)romance (72)business meals (63)sunday lunch (12)outdoor eating (10)brunch (10)child friendly (8)afternoon tea (7)disabled access (2)Show More
- Third time not a charmJudeP1983Dined on 18/10/2014This was my 3rd visit and my last & I've previously left positive reviews. Not this time. It was a Saturday night & busy so we were informed of the two hour time limit for the table - No problem. But we were constantly rushed to order, to finish etc. I was asked half way through my main course if I had finished when clearly I hadnt. We ate in our own time and still were out within the two hours so the hassle was very unnecessary. Food wasn't as good as before, our waiter was bad - he appeared to have no knowledge of the menu - when we asked for a naan we had previously had there he said they didn't do it. Food also wasn't as good as previously with poor quality meat and less flavour. I won't be returning after this disappointing experience.
- Lovely but rushedRubesDined on 17/10/2014Great food but didn't like 2 hour booking restrictionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame about the serviceDipinandoutDined on 14/10/2014Unfortunately there were two tables of 8 which arrived shortly after us - this threw our waiter and as a result we didn't really see him for the rest of the evening, until he presented us with the wrong bill and was then too busy to generate an accurate one. Understaffed.
- Poor serviceStillHungryVIPDined on 14/10/2014Having dined here previously and enjoyed the experience we thought it would be a good place to take some friends visiting from the States. Unfortunately service was non existent and the quality of the food was very low. We all ate some sort of chicken dish. All of the chicken was very fatty and with very dark meat. Our local curry house manages to serve up tender chicken which doesn't look as poor quality as this. The dish which was marked as spicy was bland with no real kick of any sort. I think I will now be actively avoided D&D restaurants as the quality has disappeared. If you must eat Indian in central London somewhere like Dishoom deserves the business where the quality is 100x better.
- Fun and exciting!Grace2525Dined on 11/10/2014The food here was fab...excellent value and the perfect place if you want to try something different. I had tikka pheasant for my starter and it was delicious. Having the restaurant next to the bar made for a really lively dining experience...probably not great for your grandparents as it's quite loud, but if you want somewhere with an exciting menu in lively surroundings, then this is definitey the place for you! One of the waitresses was even kind enough to bring my mum a birthday plate after spotting a birthday card on the table, which I hadn't even asked for. Very thoughtful touch - I will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:
- Still great!JudeP1983Dined on 10/10/2014This was my second visit to Carom. Having loved it the first time I was hoping it would live up to expectations - it did. It was delicious, service was great and the Traveller menu is really good value for central London on a Friday night. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern indian foodJackLeeDined on 10/10/2014Very good value two course, pre-theatre meal with drinks £14.95 -special menu for London restaurant festival Good choices available. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fell in love the moment i walked inbravoblondieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Took a group of us there and they accommodated 10 of us really well, the service (by the lovely Peppe) was very attentive but not overly attetive, the food was lovely - great to try lots of different things as we were such a nig group! Definitely going back- in fact i've already booked!Special Features:
- Two hour dining limitsri5Dined on 4/10/2014I cannot understand the two hour limit especially on weekends but it is very annoying when you are rushed to give the order for the meal. It looks like they really want to turnaround as many tables as possible per night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lukewarm food and poor serviceDisappointedDined on 30/9/2014Rather disappointed by the whole experience. The room didn't feel convivial or inviting; on the one hand, we weren't given a chance to read the menu before being asked what we wanted; then our food was delayed and when it came, was lukewarm. Similarly, the food wasn't overly exciting or intriguing and could have come from any standard Indian restaurant. Admittedly, we weren't charged for the main meals when we complained about the food, but I would expect this never to have happened in the first place.
- Fantastic value for moneyFoodyDined on 27/9/2014Can't say enough. This place is great. Great atmosphere, great food, great service, upmarket Curry house. We didn't try the cocktails this time but definitely will on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and NoisyFAB2015Dined on 20/9/2014Ate here after reading a review of the food which sounded great, but however good the food had been, the noise level of the music, like eating in a club, and the poor service spoiled our evening. The waiter either couldn't hear what we said or was useless, or a combination of both, and when we played the bill, the complimentary pappadums and water which he promised to make up for being seated 45 minutes late appeared on the bill and had to be removed.
- Good meal but music too loudAnnasgfDined on 20/9/2014Great food and cocktails, portions a good size. Good vegetarian selection. Atmosphere buzzing but music became very loud. Our table was next to the bar area and as the volume of the music increased it became difficult to talk and it was like being in a nightclub.Special Features:
- Girls night outLuv2dineDined on 20/9/2014Carom is a great venue for a girls night out. The cocktails were exotic, the food was great and reasonably priced and the atmosphere was buzzing. Great tunes were being pumped out by the resident DJ. A perfect Friday or Saturday night out for a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but too noisyLeicestervisitorDined on 20/9/2014Maybe a bad choice for a reunion as the place was busy but the music was to loud!.. We had to shout to talk to each other. Service was poor.. Had to continually remind them for our drinks and side orders. The service staff for no smiles!. Just seem to want to take your order and get out! Good was disappointing.. Very bland and with the bad service.. Left a lot to be desired. Disappointed
- great fun and good foodniv17Dined on 19/9/2014Carom is huge! It's a great space and the food is amazing. We tried the chicken skewer sharing platter - the chicken was beautifully seasoned, tender and well cooked. All the other food we tried was well done and tasted great. The staff was polite, efficient and helpful! The only downside was the fact that the place was pretty noisy but it's great for a fun evening out with friends.Special Features:
- nice birthday mealsaraDined on 16/9/20148 of us had dinner for my birthday on tuesday - nice lively place, good food - not cheap for what it is, but nice. we confused the waiter by wanting starters and mains all at the same time! but it all worked out fine. very comfortable chairs! (i'm getting old... but so many restaurant chairs are horrible after about 30mins!) the mango kulfi and veg biriyani were lovelySpecial Features:
- Lot of ChangeslovetoeatDined on 13/9/2014Returned to Carom for my 3rd visit and was disappointed to find quite a lot of changes. While the decor is more contemporary than before, its does not feel as comfortable. The Botanic Gin Garden bar and bar menu have gone which again I was sorry to see as it is for the variety of Gins and Gin cocktails that enticed me there in the first place. The barman did make us up a great cocktail but still would have liked to see more gin based drinks on the drinks menu. Thankfully that food menu has remained unchanged and the food is both tasty and great value for money. Still really enjoyed our night - will just have to embrace change!Special Features:
- CC10Dined on 4/9/2014Set menu, food choice good, value good, wine really good. Service needs improving, not a busy early booking but waited a considerable time for drinks and initial items and all of us found communicating with ther server really very difficult. Great restaurant, ambience snd offer.Special Features:
- Great for sharingJoannaTDined on 2/9/2014I heard about Carom through the Evening Standard offer. Though the ES menu looked good, we decided to bypass it and choose from the main menu instead. We chose three starters and three mains, and a few sides to share between us, and there was not one dish which we didn't like. All bowls were cleared. I'd particularly recommend the chilly squid starter. It wasn't very spicy, and cooked perfectly. The black lentils were also a favourite of the table. The service was good. Even with a table of 4 girls, the waiter (Peppe) was patient and gave us enough deciding time. I'd recommend this restaurant to a friend. It was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original Indian cuisinegordanshazVIPDined on 30/8/2014We had a great night out at Carom. The food is Indian with a gastronomic twist. Not your standard chicken tikka place. The atmosphere is a little boisterous but the youngsters around us were enjoying it and their mood rubbed off on us. Service was very charming and knowledgeable. We are planning to return for the quieter lunch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very draftyMerrVIPDined on 30/8/2014Me and my friends went there on a Saturday for dinner. At the begining we really enjoyed it. But I think we must have got a very unpleasant table. Because as we say there we feel there is a draft coming and made us all very cold. In the end one of my friend even had a stomach problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfull time !miomioDined on 30/8/2014Excelente servicio. Muy bonita la decoración. Música ambiental fantástica. Comida estupenda ! Nos asesoraron excelentemente. Se merecen un 10 . Repetiremos.Special Features:
- Great pre theatre choiceladieswholunchDined on 29/8/2014Having enjoyed other D&D restaurant deals I was happy to try Carom based on the Evening Standard offer of 2 courses and a glass of wine for £15. The service was outstanding and the meals were excellent - unusual combinations and flavours, a little more sauce needed and provided and altogether delicious. Needless to say, the 'deal' ended up being a small part of the final bill but no complaints here. We enjoyed the experience so much that we were happy to order aperitifs, more wine and coffee, and will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good CaromHotlipsDined on 26/8/2014We met at Carom after the bank holiday in August. D & D London group has yet again delivered a consistently high standard. Carom had recently been redecorated. It it now a lively, frexh, spacious layout with comfortable seating an suitable lighting. Excellent waitor tonight. The food was v very tasty. Three of us share our meals. Definitely try the soft shell crab starter. The fried squid is equally brilliant. For mains, try the sizzling chicken for a grand entrance. Black lentils instesd of time. ? Its a winner.Special Features:
- Brilliant!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014Fantastic place, absolutely delicious food. Nothing like your run of the mill boring curry places, this place is just curry heaven and the quality of the meat is perfect. The only thing that bothered me was the music was quite loud early on in the evening. Our waiter was struggling to take our order as he couldn't hear and we had to keep shouting the order out. The reason you go out for dinner in a group is so you can catch up and have good conversations so if the music is loud and you have to constantly speak in a raised voice, it's a little annoying. Maybe the volume of the music can increase from around 9.30pm onwards .... ? Anyway, I will still go again as the food is just delicious :-)Special Features:
- Only go on Evening Standard dealFoodieDined on 23/8/2014The menu was short and uninspired, the place extremely noisy, the toilets were not great, the room was cold, lights too dim and the decor was generally tired and dated. The chicken main was very dry and the paneer had exactly 4 peices in it. Not good value for money even at £15 per head. We won't be going back. Only go if you are out clubbing and are totally famished. Hope things change as we fed all this back to the chef via the waiter. Service was excellent - just wish the food was too. Starter portions were massive but not great to eat.Special Features:
- Incredible IndianlondondiningDined on 21/8/2014Wow - I loved this place. Great food. Great wine. Amazing flavours.. Music got a little loud as the night went on. I wish restaurants wouldn't do this. People go for meals to talk and eat not dance and eat.Special Features:
- Great foodHJOICFDined on 18/8/2014We had the summer menu and it was both great value and amazing food - taste and quality. I believe they have recently refurbished and the style is great. Waiters need more training in terms of the menus and the food that is offered and available. Once that happens I am sure the restaurant will do very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food terrible ambiencelondonwelshVIPDined on 16/8/2014We booked really last minute which was a struggle in London for 10 people. This place has great food, fantastic value for Soho, friendly and welcoming staff on arrival, but that's where it ends. The atmosphere is like dining in a busy club where the noise levels are pretty extreme and we spent the good part of an hour trying to grab the attention of the staff to order food and drinks. Service while dining was below average, orders were mixed up and dishes were forgotten about. If this place really focused on it's awesome food, improved customer service and toned down the club into bar ambience and not a rave it would be onto a Winner!
- Wonderful experiencefoodfreakDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant is quite fancy but you are made to feel very welcome and it's not snobby at all. The food was delicious and the portion sizes are huge! I will definitely be recommending it and going back myselfSpecial Features:
- Service could be betterJuliaMDined on 8/8/2014I booked not knowing that this was the first night opening after a refurbishment so all seemed quite hectic on arrival. The waiters all seemed quite new and lacked general etiquette. They weren't very knowledgable of the food/dishes and had to ask 3-4 times before the wine was eventually brought over to our table. They made a few mistakes, the worst of which was when we asked for an extra curry dish, which never turned up nor did we receive an apology. The food however was very nice and very reasonable. The DJ was a nice feature too and definitely great for larger parties.Special Features:
- Indre saves the day!LauraDined on 8/8/2014I've eaten @ Carom before and had a lovely meal but my experience last Friday was V different. It was the first night of opening after a re-furb & staff didn’t really know who was doing what, we had 4 separate waiters to take different parts of our order. 1 for wine, 1 for starter, 1 for dinner and and 4th to bring things number 3 had forgotten. The bathrooms smelt heavily of paint, 3 new sinks in, complete with large stickers still attached to them, holes in the tiles where the old sinks used to be, bits of wood unpainted etc The night was saved by the lovely Indre. We spoke to her & explained what had happened, she was great & full of empathy. Indre is a real credit to the management there & the reason I will go back. Thank you Indre!!
- Disappointing poor serviceloveoffoodDined on 8/8/2014Disappointing Friday night dinner & extremely poor service. We booked Traveller's menu on OpenTable but was presented with fixed price menu on arrival. When we complained waiter was unaware of this menu and would find out for us. 35 minutes after our arrival the waiter failed to present Travellers menu out of hunger we ordered from the fixed menu. Waiter apologised and blamed lack of staff but it appeared to be poor management to us. There was no designated waiter for our section - we had 5 diff waiters! Music was too loud and spoiled the ambience. Food was fine but portions too small and not value for money. We even had to pay 10% service charge for this awful experience. Definitely will not be recommending this restaurant to a friend.
- Wonderful VenueDaisyDined on 2/8/2014We had a wonderful time at Carom, the food was amazing and staff were very friendly. We went in the evening around 9pm and the atmosphere was really buzzing. Nice crowd, plus great music around the bar with the dj. A great place to eat, drink and just chill. Will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic all roundclareDined on 1/8/2014Everything was excellent. Great service and food was absolutely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husbands BirthdayKfgrahamDined on 25/7/2014Visited the Carom for the 2nd time on my Husbands birthday. We used the the 2 courses and a glass of wine for £15. The service, food, atmosphere.... faultless. I mentioned on the booking that it was his birthday but didnt expect anything as we were already recieveing a bargain meal. However, after our 2 courses the waiter appeared with a slice of Sticky Toffee Pudding (the most delicious STP that we'd ever tried) and with a candle and Happy Birthday written on the plate. it's the small touches that will always keep bringing people back. A wonderful evening, thank you!Special Features:
- Great experienceWhales1Dined on 16/7/2014The staff were attentive about my allergies, the chef also kindly visited our table to ask how we were enjoying our meal. Food was fabulous, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to Carom at MezaDavidPVIPDined on 15/7/2014Tonight's dinner was a casual catch-up between 3 colleagues. We were surprised how quiet the restaurant was on a Tuesday evening; this did impact on the atmosphere somewhat. However our waiter, Ricardo, was super cheerful and attentive. The food was great - the nice selection of poppadoms and chutneys set a good tone - and there were plenty of interesting choices on the set menu. The wine list was thorough and fairly priced. Al in all I would go back if I wanted to have Indian food with a stylish environment and a good location.Special Features:
- great food, faultless serviceKWhallDined on 12/7/2014I went to Carom with my family on Saturday night. We had a selection of starters and mains, all of which were delicious, although the chicken lababdar was on the bland side. The rest of the food was lovely, full of spice and flavour. The cocktails were sensational, I would recommend the lychee and rose collins! The only let down about the evening was the fact that they show football on televisions in the restaurant. Having gone out for a relaxed meal for my birthday, I did not expect to have my family conversation competing with football commentary and shouting fans. Other than that, it was a good meal and I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.