100 Wardour Street
London, W1F 0TNNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caromsoho.com/
- Phone: 020 7314 4002
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12pm - until late
Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vishnu Natarajan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carom Soho
Carom restaurant serves up authentic Indian dishes with an emphasis on spontaneity and seasonality, a bust of Indian colour in in the heart of London's Soho.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carom Soho reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since 23 November 2013
group bookings (125)pre/post theatre (102)special occasions (101)fit for foodies (90)good vegetarian options (90)romance (65)outstanding value (63)business meals (61)sunday lunch (13)brunch (11)outdoor eating (9)child friendly (8)afternoon tea (7)disabled access (3)Show More
- Happy birthday!PhilippaDined on 18/11/2014I've been to Carom a number of times before as the food is outstanding and the dishes are always faultless. Really interesting Indian food and dishes you don't see on a standard Indian menu. As it was my birthday I asked for a booth seat and while hey said they could not guarantee it, they accommodated my request on the night, with their usual, wonderful customer service. I even got a little surprise birthday dessert (AMAZING Indian version of sticky toffee pudding) and a song from the waiter. We all had a great night and I could not recommend Carom more. I'll go back time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, if noisyPabloVIPDined on 15/11/2014Visited following the recent refurbishment and like the new décor. Food is good and very reasonably priced. Staff are friendly and helpful. Restaurant is noisy and the bar overspills into the restaurant......I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Restaurant Mediocre Foodsalmon01Dined on 8/11/2014If you are visiting for good food then don't bother, If you want a restaurant with a buzz and nightclub music, full of trendy people then this is the place to go. Poor choice for vegetarians The quality of food is only like your normal takeaway
- Amazing food and value for moneyFoodieDined on 5/11/2014We went for lunch and were the only customers in there - service was a bit patchy initially and there was a lot of prep and activity around us such as bottling up - however the food was absolutely stunning, we were a group of six and so just ordered one of everything off the small plates section of the menu. We had seen 3 foot skewers on the evening menu and they kindly agreed to cook us a prawn one - very theatrical when it arrived, but that too was delicious! The price including drinks came in at under £30 per head which for central London and the quality and innovation of the dishes was outstanding good value.Special Features:
- Uncomfortable Birthday dinnerPacolocadoDined on 31/10/2014Big dissapontment due to discoordination in the restaurant: I booked the reservation over the internet for the last time available (10.45pm) as we were heading out a theatre play and to our surprise, we were told upon wrrival that kitchen was closing at the same time we made our reservation, 10.45. As a result we got big pressure from the waiters to the point that we decided to leave the restaurant. t talked first to the manager who, very politely, apoligised and offered to take care of us and talk to the kitchen so that we could be served. Fortunately, he succedeed and we could finally enjoy what it was also a birthday celebration of my girfriend. Food was very good (only nann bread a bit overcooked). Dessert was on the house. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Perfect Indian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/10/2014Perfect Indian restaurant for any occasion, both during the day and at night. Great service, beautiful decor, excellent food, wonderful atmosphere, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food with a twistNassiDined on 31/10/2014Atmosphere was great, but I would not go back for the food.
- Classy CaromEmbarrassingDined on 29/10/2014I have been to Carom six times and each time I like it more. I have tried to think of a criticism but cannot. We were shown to our table immediately, Pepe (our server) was professional and courteous, the food was, as always, delicious and great value. The manageress, I think her name is Inda (apologies if I have spelt it wrong) ensured our evening was everything we could have wished for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall - not badTheatregoer2Dined on 29/10/2014Ate here prior to a theatre visit. Food was good, nothing outstanding but tasty, with some really interesting, but fairly pricey, cocktails. Good speedy service. Lively atmosphere as it had a busy bar area.Special Features:
- Dinner in Vibrant AtmosphereMinervaDined on 25/10/2014Had a great dinner at Carom with friends. The place was energetic on Saturday night, so it is not for those who like to dine in quiet. For us it was a girls night out so we liked the sounds of laughter and music surrounding us. We enjoyed having pre-drinks at the bar and then very tasty food in the restaurant area. The personnel was extremely friendly - a big reason to return.
- Great food and atmosphereValdayDined on 25/10/2014The food and atmosphere were perfect for a Saturday night before you head out. However the noise levels are pretty high on a Saturday night so don't expect a quiet mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but poor veggie optionsToptable1Dined on 22/10/2014Great place for catching up with friends or an informal date.... nice bar area with a good cocktail menu. The food and service were good though we were disappointed with the lack of vegetarian options. There were a couple of standard paneer offerings however no daal or vegetable side dishes which really ought to be on the menu of any Indian restaurant.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmJudeP1983Dined on 18/10/2014This was my 3rd visit and my last & I've previously left positive reviews. Not this time. It was a Saturday night & busy so we were informed of the two hour time limit for the table - No problem. But we were constantly rushed to order, to finish etc. I was asked half way through my main course if I had finished when clearly I hadnt. We ate in our own time and still were out within the two hours so the hassle was very unnecessary. Food wasn't as good as before, our waiter was bad - he appeared to have no knowledge of the menu - when we asked for a naan we had previously had there he said they didn't do it. Food also wasn't as good as previously with poor quality meat and less flavour. I won't be returning after this disappointing experience.
- Lovely but rushedRubesDined on 17/10/2014Great food but didn't like 2 hour booking restrictionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, average food.TBrixDined on 14/10/2014Booked set menu deal. Had to repeat my name 5 times before front of house found me on the list. Once at the table immediately pounced on to take our oders though we'd not had the menu. Order came back wrong. Drinks we didnt order arrived at the table. We said we didnt order them and the waiter took them away. When we got the bill we saw we had been charged for them anyway. I spoke to the head waiter who told us the drinks were supposed to have been complimentary because of the food mix up, pity the waiter didnt mention it! Only a few of the staff spoke good enough English to be in service industry. Perhaps if they turned the music down a bit the staff may be able to hear the customers better? I wont return. The food was adequate at best.Special Features:
- Shame about the serviceDipinandoutDined on 14/10/2014Unfortunately there were two tables of 8 which arrived shortly after us - this threw our waiter and as a result we didn't really see him for the rest of the evening, until he presented us with the wrong bill and was then too busy to generate an accurate one. Understaffed.
- Poor serviceStillHungryVIPDined on 14/10/2014Having dined here previously and enjoyed the experience we thought it would be a good place to take some friends visiting from the States. Unfortunately service was non existent and the quality of the food was very low. We all ate some sort of chicken dish. All of the chicken was very fatty and with very dark meat. Our local curry house manages to serve up tender chicken which doesn't look as poor quality as this. The dish which was marked as spicy was bland with no real kick of any sort. I think I will now be actively avoided D&D restaurants as the quality has disappeared. If you must eat Indian in central London somewhere like Dishoom deserves the business where the quality is 100x better.
- Fun and exciting!Grace2525Dined on 11/10/2014The food here was fab...excellent value and the perfect place if you want to try something different. I had tikka pheasant for my starter and it was delicious. Having the restaurant next to the bar made for a really lively dining experience...probably not great for your grandparents as it's quite loud, but if you want somewhere with an exciting menu in lively surroundings, then this is definitey the place for you! One of the waitresses was even kind enough to bring my mum a birthday plate after spotting a birthday card on the table, which I hadn't even asked for. Very thoughtful touch - I will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:
- Still great!JudeP1983Dined on 10/10/2014This was my second visit to Carom. Having loved it the first time I was hoping it would live up to expectations - it did. It was delicious, service was great and the Traveller menu is really good value for central London on a Friday night. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern indian foodJackLeeDined on 10/10/2014Very good value two course, pre-theatre meal with drinks £14.95 -special menu for London restaurant festival Good choices available. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fell in love the moment i walked inbravoblondieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Took a group of us there and they accommodated 10 of us really well, the service (by the lovely Peppe) was very attentive but not overly attetive, the food was lovely - great to try lots of different things as we were such a nig group! Definitely going back- in fact i've already booked!Special Features:
- Two hour dining limitsri5Dined on 4/10/2014I cannot understand the two hour limit especially on weekends but it is very annoying when you are rushed to give the order for the meal. It looks like they really want to turnaround as many tables as possible per night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lukewarm food and poor serviceDisappointedDined on 30/9/2014Rather disappointed by the whole experience. The room didn't feel convivial or inviting; on the one hand, we weren't given a chance to read the menu before being asked what we wanted; then our food was delayed and when it came, was lukewarm. Similarly, the food wasn't overly exciting or intriguing and could have come from any standard Indian restaurant. Admittedly, we weren't charged for the main meals when we complained about the food, but I would expect this never to have happened in the first place.
- Fantastic value for moneyFoodyDined on 27/9/2014Can't say enough. This place is great. Great atmosphere, great food, great service, upmarket Curry house. We didn't try the cocktails this time but definitely will on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and NoisyFAB2015Dined on 20/9/2014Ate here after reading a review of the food which sounded great, but however good the food had been, the noise level of the music, like eating in a club, and the poor service spoiled our evening. The waiter either couldn't hear what we said or was useless, or a combination of both, and when we played the bill, the complimentary pappadums and water which he promised to make up for being seated 45 minutes late appeared on the bill and had to be removed.
- Good meal but music too loudAnnasgfDined on 20/9/2014Great food and cocktails, portions a good size. Good vegetarian selection. Atmosphere buzzing but music became very loud. Our table was next to the bar area and as the volume of the music increased it became difficult to talk and it was like being in a nightclub.Special Features:
- Girls night outLuv2dineDined on 20/9/2014Carom is a great venue for a girls night out. The cocktails were exotic, the food was great and reasonably priced and the atmosphere was buzzing. Great tunes were being pumped out by the resident DJ. A perfect Friday or Saturday night out for a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but too noisyLeicestervisitorDined on 20/9/2014Maybe a bad choice for a reunion as the place was busy but the music was to loud!.. We had to shout to talk to each other. Service was poor.. Had to continually remind them for our drinks and side orders. The service staff for no smiles!. Just seem to want to take your order and get out! Good was disappointing.. Very bland and with the bad service.. Left a lot to be desired. Disappointed
- great fun and good foodniv17Dined on 19/9/2014Carom is huge! It's a great space and the food is amazing. We tried the chicken skewer sharing platter - the chicken was beautifully seasoned, tender and well cooked. All the other food we tried was well done and tasted great. The staff was polite, efficient and helpful! The only downside was the fact that the place was pretty noisy but it's great for a fun evening out with friends.Special Features:
- nice birthday mealsaraDined on 16/9/20148 of us had dinner for my birthday on tuesday - nice lively place, good food - not cheap for what it is, but nice. we confused the waiter by wanting starters and mains all at the same time! but it all worked out fine. very comfortable chairs! (i'm getting old... but so many restaurant chairs are horrible after about 30mins!) the mango kulfi and veg biriyani were lovelySpecial Features:
- Lot of ChangeslovetoeatDined on 13/9/2014Returned to Carom for my 3rd visit and was disappointed to find quite a lot of changes. While the decor is more contemporary than before, its does not feel as comfortable. The Botanic Gin Garden bar and bar menu have gone which again I was sorry to see as it is for the variety of Gins and Gin cocktails that enticed me there in the first place. The barman did make us up a great cocktail but still would have liked to see more gin based drinks on the drinks menu. Thankfully that food menu has remained unchanged and the food is both tasty and great value for money. Still really enjoyed our night - will just have to embrace change!Special Features:
- CC10VIPDined on 4/9/2014Set menu, food choice good, value good, wine really good. Service needs improving, not a busy early booking but waited a considerable time for drinks and initial items and all of us found communicating with ther server really very difficult. Great restaurant, ambience snd offer.Special Features:
- Great for sharingJoannaTDined on 2/9/2014I heard about Carom through the Evening Standard offer. Though the ES menu looked good, we decided to bypass it and choose from the main menu instead. We chose three starters and three mains, and a few sides to share between us, and there was not one dish which we didn't like. All bowls were cleared. I'd particularly recommend the chilly squid starter. It wasn't very spicy, and cooked perfectly. The black lentils were also a favourite of the table. The service was good. Even with a table of 4 girls, the waiter (Peppe) was patient and gave us enough deciding time. I'd recommend this restaurant to a friend. It was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original Indian cuisinegordanshazVIPDined on 30/8/2014We had a great night out at Carom. The food is Indian with a gastronomic twist. Not your standard chicken tikka place. The atmosphere is a little boisterous but the youngsters around us were enjoying it and their mood rubbed off on us. Service was very charming and knowledgeable. We are planning to return for the quieter lunch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very draftyMerrVIPDined on 30/8/2014Me and my friends went there on a Saturday for dinner. At the begining we really enjoyed it. But I think we must have got a very unpleasant table. Because as we say there we feel there is a draft coming and made us all very cold. In the end one of my friend even had a stomach problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfull time !miomioDined on 30/8/2014Excelente servicio. Muy bonita la decoración. Música ambiental fantástica. Comida estupenda ! Nos asesoraron excelentemente. Se merecen un 10 . Repetiremos.Special Features:
- Great pre theatre choiceladieswholunchDined on 29/8/2014Having enjoyed other D&D restaurant deals I was happy to try Carom based on the Evening Standard offer of 2 courses and a glass of wine for £15. The service was outstanding and the meals were excellent - unusual combinations and flavours, a little more sauce needed and provided and altogether delicious. Needless to say, the 'deal' ended up being a small part of the final bill but no complaints here. We enjoyed the experience so much that we were happy to order aperitifs, more wine and coffee, and will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good CaromHotlipsDined on 26/8/2014We met at Carom after the bank holiday in August. D & D London group has yet again delivered a consistently high standard. Carom had recently been redecorated. It it now a lively, frexh, spacious layout with comfortable seating an suitable lighting. Excellent waitor tonight. The food was v very tasty. Three of us share our meals. Definitely try the soft shell crab starter. The fried squid is equally brilliant. For mains, try the sizzling chicken for a grand entrance. Black lentils instesd of time. ? Its a winner.Special Features:
- Brilliant!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014Fantastic place, absolutely delicious food. Nothing like your run of the mill boring curry places, this place is just curry heaven and the quality of the meat is perfect. The only thing that bothered me was the music was quite loud early on in the evening. Our waiter was struggling to take our order as he couldn't hear and we had to keep shouting the order out. The reason you go out for dinner in a group is so you can catch up and have good conversations so if the music is loud and you have to constantly speak in a raised voice, it's a little annoying. Maybe the volume of the music can increase from around 9.30pm onwards .... ? Anyway, I will still go again as the food is just delicious :-)Special Features:
- Only go on Evening Standard dealFoodieDined on 23/8/2014The menu was short and uninspired, the place extremely noisy, the toilets were not great, the room was cold, lights too dim and the decor was generally tired and dated. The chicken main was very dry and the paneer had exactly 4 peices in it. Not good value for money even at £15 per head. We won't be going back. Only go if you are out clubbing and are totally famished. Hope things change as we fed all this back to the chef via the waiter. Service was excellent - just wish the food was too. Starter portions were massive but not great to eat.Special Features: