Cellar Restaurant, Merrion Hotel
Upper Merrion Street
Dublin, Dublin 2Neighbourhood:
IrishPrice: €31 to €50
Cellar Restaurant, Merrion Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.merrionhotel.com/
- Phone: 35316030600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00AM - 10:30AM, Saturday & Sunday 7:00AM - 11:00AM
Brunch: Sunday 12:30PM - 2:30PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:30PM - 2:00PM
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Irish
- Executive Chef: Mr Ed Cooney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party facilities are available in our Private Dining rooms from 12 - 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Event's Office 35316030628
A word from Cellar Restaurant, Merrion Hotel
The Cellar Restaurant in The Merrion Hotel is an award-winning establishment for good reason. By assembling the finest seasonal ingredients and preparing dishes with skill and creativity, our chefs serve to enhance the flavours of produce and provenance. Choose a comfortable corner or cranny beneath the vaulted roof and savour the simple pleasure of delectable dining worthy of a leading 5 star hotel in Dublin.Continued
To make a reservation in The Cellar Restaurant at The Merrion, please call (01) 603 0630.
To make a reservation in The Cellar Restaurant at The Merrion, please call (01) 603 0630.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cellar Restaurant, Merrion Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
- Michelin star standardJoJoDined on 25/8/2013Great little place with a good ambiance, the service was very good and the food was fabulous especially the passion fruit and mango souffle!! The wine list was extensive, but we were advised well. A bit pricey, but good for a special occassion - I took my husband for his birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cellar restaurant Merrion HotelAndreaDined on 7/8/2013Good food and service in pleasant surroundings ; eaten here on several occasions and been impressed .Less formal dining near the bar area too.Special Features:
- Had a lovely meal, we werePatch1Dined on 6/7/2013Had a lovely meal, we were shown to a very nice table, waiter very helpful and a good choice of menu. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- DinnerCarmacDined on 17/6/2013Had a lovely dinner - food great, service wonderful..... Love the ambiance of the bar too - will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spaceccBostonMaDined on 25/5/2013White room, vaulted ceiling - and space between the tables to enjoy your dinner and not your neighbors. Great arrival - warm breads and butters. Strong wine list - a few new world reds for those of us so inclined. The food was beautiful and very good - shy of brilliant but only when compared to those in search of something unusual and creative - what we had were excellent versions of fish well prepared. Worth it for a romantic evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romantic..best night ever!GavinSarahDined on 25/5/2013My girlfriend and i had an amazing time here. Staff were great, food was excellent and tambience was very romantic. Will return for the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an excellent dinnerJulie1Dined on 24/5/2013We had an excellent dinner at the Cellar on the 24/05/13. The menu selection and choice was superb as was the food when it arrived. The service was perfectly paced and the room was a really lovely dining setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealConqVIPDined on 13/5/2013It was hard to find a nice restaurant open on a Monday in Dublin. Glad we found the Cellar at the Merrion. The food was very tasty, great flavors and the service was excellent too. We went for the Cellar steal menu which was excellent value for money. The desserts were especially good. I'd highly recommend the Cellar restaurant for a nice quite meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday MealRH50Dined on 13/4/2013I booked this restaurant for my boyfriend's 50th birthday having taken him to Dublin for a surprise weekend away. I searched various restaurants and decided on the Cellar as it had everything I was looking for. The staff were friendly and efficient, I loved the decor and most of all, the food was really good. Would happily return if ever in Dublin again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal142fisheDined on 29/3/2013Had a really good meal at the Cellar. Great food, good wine and really good service, all that can be asked for, even more useful given all the pubs were shut in Dublin on the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really gorgeous place to eatDiner81Dined on 20/2/2013We had lunch there and afternoon tea. The scones were so amazing. The service was excellent. Lunch was gorgeous and extremely tastly. The breads were delicious. Very filling. They could mention that the tap water is charged at 3 E a bottle though. Really nice place to eat. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing supperBelfastMirage1959Dined on 17/2/2013Sunday evening was a very pleasant treat while dining solo. Very attentive service and a pleasant relaxed ambience with good food and wine efficiently served. Staff very affable and pleasant. I look forward to a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerSerran0Dined on 17/2/2013We had a really great time, the food was really nice and the service also. Nice place to share a dinner.Special Features:
- The CellarOccasionalDublinDinerDined on 22/12/2012Excellent. Quiet and private, but atmospheric. Food is perfectly done with fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was tasty and wellPaulMayDined on 20/11/2012The food was tasty and well presented. Staff was professional. Ideal setting for business mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very civilised restaurant,fmcddublinDined on 15/11/2012A very civilised restaurant, with fine food, very good service, a pleasant ambience and muted background music so you can actually have a conversation with dinner companions without having to raise your voice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeastHandelDined on 15/9/2012Very satisfactory birthday dinner for my wife. Great service, perhaps even a little too high frequency, with lovely food and wine in really pleasant surroundings. Sound travels easily in the vaulted room with stone floor so ambience is vulnerable to disturbance by loud people or small children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I enjoyed alivinlifemomDined on 8/9/2012My husband and I enjoyed a lovely meal at the Cellar Restaurant. I had tried to book into the fancier restaurant within the hotel, but was unable to get a table. And am thrilled. We had a drink first in the Cellar bar which offers the same wines list as the restaurant and good Guinness. Our meal in the Cellar Restaurant was delicious and the staff were very pleasant to the point where they seem to actually enjoy their jobs. We followed the recommendations of our servers and enjoyed everything. Look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Let there be lightJackoDined on 3/9/2012It is trendy nowadays to keep lightihg in restaurants very low. The Cellar takes this to excess- so that it is difficult to read the Wine List. Otherwise FIRST CLASS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cellar Restaurant wasJeromeDined on 28/7/2012The Cellar Restaurant was a very enjoyable experience. The partner enjoyed herself very much due to the good service, nice surroundings and great food, plus the waitress/waiters were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningHenryVIPDined on 10/7/2012The restaurant is, as the name implies, in the cellar of the building. The restaurant is sensitively appointed, with warm colours helping to subdue the 'cave-like' infrastructure. Service was smooth and inobtrusive, the food excellent with a particular mention for the calamari starter and the inventive desserts which struck a chord with all. We drank a good French Sauvignon. Definitely a good venue for family gatherings. Privacy and good acoustics helping.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and expensivegoodeatsDined on 1/7/2012We were attracted by the set menu which is just short of €30 for three courses. However we had to ask for it and it was given then. ....the first and second courses were very good, but neither of us liked our desert, far too sweet and overly fussy and beared little resemblance to the description on the menu. The room is too dark, difficult to read the menu even, low lighting is great but this takes it to another level! It is a restaurant for the very well off but all customers ought be be treated the same way!Special Features:
- I went to The Cellar RestaurantCaroline21Dined on 9/6/2012I went to The Cellar Restaurant on a Saturday evening with my partner and we had the most beautiful food. our waiter was so pleasant and when they didn’t have the bottle of wine we ordered they gave us a slightly more expensive one as a replacement and matched the price. i can’t wait to go back and enjoyed the experience completelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful lunchniallbDined on 7/6/2012We booked lunch here as part of 24 hour trip to Dublin for a concert. Dub was very wet so it meant a quick taxi-ride from our hotel across Stephen's Green to the Merrion. A warm, friendly greeting and a great table meant we were very happy. The food was fantastic. The wine was excellent (a stunning Malbec at a bargain price when they didn't have the one we ordered.) The sommelier was fantastic throughout the meal. I love it when a hugely professional server gauges the mood of the table and reacts accordingly. We are 2 couples that eat together and travel together a lot. We have fun and we make each other laugh...a lot. He just joined in and made the meal a really memorable one. A really great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice food and serviceSamBamerDined on 27/5/2012We enjoyed our visit. Food was very good and service was also very good, Location was easy to miss - but we found it on the second pass. Would go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- this was a very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2012this was a very good experience as we were a group of 4 vegatarians including 2 children. there was a special pasta put on for the children and it was excellent as were the mocktails ( the main reason the kids wanted to go there.) we will return again for special occasions . this was one .Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 31/3/2012Totally professional. A real treat in every way; delicious food, excellent service, beautiful art on the walls... altoghether a class act.Special Features:
- Surpricingly good hotel-restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 29/3/2012Surpricingly good hotel-restaurant with very good food and a fine winelist. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service,anddeb1920Dined on 17/3/2012Excellent food, service,and wine list. We stayed at the hotel, but this did not feel in the least bit like your average hotel restaurant, it felt separate enough to be a brilliant restaurant on its own merit.Special Features:
- Huge delay on coffee ,StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/2/2012Huge delay on coffee ,Staff forgot my special request for petite four for my boyfriends birthday.I had to go to remind them, which caused enquiry from my boyfriend.Then further delay waiting for the petite four which was rubbish. 4 small plain squares of chocolate.Special Features:
- Just AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/2/2012The best restauarant I have been too in 10 years, outstanding food, service, atnosphere & valueSpecial Features:
- Had set menu lunch - greatspanicVIPDined on 16/2/2012Had set menu lunch - great value at €20 each - two course
- The Cellar Restaurant at TheVJW322Dined on 11/2/2012The Cellar Restaurant at The Merrion Hotel in Dublin is a very romantic restaurant. On Saturday night we managed to bag ourselves a corner table and enjioyed a lovely meal whilst the resident pianist played in the background. My risotto was superb but the trio of chocolate mousse was average. My boyfriend didn't rate his steak but his banoffee pie was divine. The wine list is extensive and caters for a variety of budgets. Service was hit and miss, sadly. I'd recommend for a romantic night out!
- Food was excellent, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012Food was excellent, service fantastic and wine list by the glass is amazing (50+ wine by the glass).Special Features:
- Never again!EyelashDined on 4/2/2012Arrived at 8.50pm for a 9pm seating, starters arrived within 1o minutes of ordering. Asked for extra bread as my husband ordered a terrine (which came without bread) the bread never arrived. Had to chase whatever waiter was passing for more water. Our main course arrived an hour and 20 minutes after ordering. We both ordered steak which was a huge let-down, very fatty. Our side dish arrived as my husband was finishing his meal, we refused to accept it. Will never return to this restaurant, service, food & value for money are severely lacking.
- I booked the Cellar with noOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2012I booked the Cellar with no prior knowledge of it or the status of the Merrion Hotel in Dublin. In the taxi from the Airport the driver informed me that the Hotel was regarded as the best in Dublin, a fact endorsed by the concierge at my hotel. He told me it would not be cheap but it was worth it for the experience. The dining experience was pleasant but not outstanding. The food was tasty and well presented and the service was attentive. Worth the visit it was!
- MY husband had the scallopsKiwiJimDined on 3/2/2012MY husband had the scallops were well presented and tasty. I had the salmon gravlax which was pretty uninspiring The main fish and chips were excellent. The sea bream was good. The food on the whole is very good but not earth shattering. The wine list is very good with wines from around the world.Special Features:
- great atmosphere. Get thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 23/1/2012great atmosphere. Get there early (or stay late) and grab a pint at the bar - it has to be one of the coolest bars I've ever been in.
- THe Cellar Restaurant in theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 21/12/2011THe Cellar Restaurant in the Merrion Hotel never lets me down as a venue. The food is excellent , staff are friendly and efficient and there's a nice atmosphere. Unlike most other restaurants at this time of year we were not told they needed the table back for a second lunch sitting and were allowed to relax over coffee for as long as we wanted.
- It's a StealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2011We ate from the 'Steal' menu which really was a steal at €30 a head. The service was just the right pace and very friendly. The choice on the 'steal' menu is quite limited so may not suit everyone. Overall a very enjoyable experience.Special Features: