23 - 25 Leadenhall Market
London, EC3V 1LRNeighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chamberlainsoflondon.com/
- Phone: 02076488690x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm to 3pm, 6pm to 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Andrew Jones
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chamberlain's Restaurant
Chamberlain's Restaurant in historic Leadenhall Market has been described as 'perfect fish in the heart of the city'. With our own wholesale fish business Chamberlain and Thelwell, established at Billingsgate in 1947 to supply the best restaurants and hotels in London. Today we serve top quality fish to a number of loyal clients. The restaurant extends over three floors that look out onto the stunning Leadenhall Market with a ground floor restaurant, intimate mezzanine, slightly more formal first floor restaurant, brasserie and basement bar with its original brickwork, high vaulted ceilings and an outside terrace which in warm weather is one of London’s favourite places. Chamberlain’s is available for private hire and offer complete flexibility– from relaxed intimate dining, formal luncheons, presentations or lively parties with music. The unique layout of the restaurant means we can cater for a small private party of 12 on their own floor to a party of 150 using the whole restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chamberlain's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since 6 May 2014
business meals (48)fit for foodies (20)special occasions (19)group bookings (12)romance (9)pre/post theatre (6)outdoor eating (4)brunch (4)outstanding value (4)good vegetarian options (4)sunday lunch (2)disabled access (1)child friendly (1)Show More
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Great food and wine - always have great meals here. Service always excellentSpecial Features:
- Average, overpricedNickTDined on 20/8/2014Had dinner with a friend a Wednesday night; restaurant was quiet. Waiter reasonably friendly; food service slow; extremely long wait between starter and main. Starter (asparagus) okay; lobster main overcooked, tepid. Side order of broccoli arrived cold and nearly raw (a do like them a bit crunchy but these had hardly seen the steam). Will not return; sad to see such a long standing restaurant offering such a poor quality.
- Excellent fishJoeBDined on 6/8/2014Excellent fresh fish as usual. Service can sometimes be a bit over the top and slightly intrusive but it was perfect this visit.Special Features:
- Chamberlain's was greatMJH1Dined on 31/7/2014Scallops to start followed by special monkfish. Beautifully presented. Would recommendSpecial Features:
- Bit priceyStratsDined on 28/7/2014I had the smoked salmon starter which was OK but not very "smoked" and felt cheated on the soda bread which were merely croutons. The skate wing was meaty and probably the best value. All food was well presented but overall it was pricey and probably best for company expenses!Special Features:
- Good value fixed price menuNormskiVIPDined on 1/7/2014The three courses and a bellini offer for £30 is good value and the food was very good and well presented. The restaurant can be a little quiet in the evenings, particularly early in the week, but there are enough people to stop it feeling empty. It wasn't quite warm enough to sit outside, but it was an option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTavistockMediaDined on 18/6/2014I took a client of mine to Chamberlain's last Wednesday for lunch, having not been to the restaurant for about 5 years I am delighted to say that the experience was fantastic. My client who is a "Foodie" loved the experience, the service and the food.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedCharliefromworthingVIPDined on 17/6/2014I've been to this restaurant once before and have found that both times the food has been decent but not excellent. The wine list is very good and we had an excellent Gavi di Gavi for a cost that was reasonable for the City, however I found the food particularly overpriced for the quality. I'm not going to hurry back here for that reason alone as everything else was fine.Special Features:
- EnjoyablewelshieVIPDined on 16/6/2014Food and service were very strong. Salmon and sea bream both great, dessert menu was a little lacking.Special Features:
- Delicious fresh fishJoeBDined on 5/6/2014If you love fish then this is one of the best fish restaurants in the CitySpecial Features:
- Very poor service, soggy foodBroadSword2412Dined on 19/3/2014Very poor service, soggy food and way over-priced.
- Decent enough but unlikely to returgreenappleVIPDined on 17/3/2014The service was decent. However, I was appalled by one staff member who made so much noise in order to drive us out of the restaurant which I found very rude as we were hosting a client lunch. I will probably not return given the rudeness.Special Features:
- LUNCHIanZeeDined on 13/3/2014On the whole Lunch was average, starters were excellent, we had the scallops, but the majority of our group went for Fish and Chips which was not on the upstairs menu and was definitely below average, heavily over greasy batter and the fish was slightly under cooked on mine and my collegue's fish was raw in some parts. It was taken off the final bill. I appreciate this was simply an off day for a very good restaurant but nonetheless it needs to be shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic valueTobyMDined on 28/2/2014Absolutely fantastic value set menu. faultless service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very freindly staff and nice foodAndrew77Dined on 28/2/2014Went for dinner with freind the staff where very helpfull and food was good and very tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate from the Evening StandardNikkitaDined on 27/2/2014We ate from the Evening Standard set menu - 3 courses for £30. Great value, great food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Good place for evening city dinnerchoirofdreamDined on 21/2/2014We really enjoyed the fish of the day, service was excellent and staff very helpful in providing tips on bespoke options in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expert staff, excellent foodHamishDined on 19/2/2014Expert staff, excellent food and attentive service. Good value for money in that part of London, and a very rewarding occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chamberlain'sanonDined on 13/2/2014Fantastic setting, great service, delicious food ... what more needs to be said? We went for the set dinner and were not disappointed. Plenty of bread for the hungry, amazing pork pie starters and a great cheese board. We will definitely be back soon to try the lobster thermidor and dover sole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChambSammyDined on 7/2/2014Go for the food and service. Be prepared to work off the calories sinful without a good exercise to treat the disciplineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had dinner on a FridayStuartDined on 7/2/2014We had dinner on a Friday evening when my parents came down to London. The 3 courses and a Bellini for £30 is great value and the food is exceptional. We will wait for another occasion to return and eat from the a la carte. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fish restaurantBarnsBDined on 24/1/2014The fish dishes we had were excellent, faultless and so was the service. Disappointment with dessert and wine, especially compared with our previous experience of Andrew Jones, admittedly several years ago, when he was the head chef at Artisan. There his cuisine was divine. Obviously the brief at Chamberlain's is very different from the one at the Westbury Hotel, so the comparison may not be entirely justified. Seating at Chamberlain's is not comfortable: the chairs provide little back support, and the decor is rather dated (e.g. the orange-brown colours).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty MealKarenVIPDined on 23/1/2014Ate for the first time at Chamberlain's with friends. Nice ambience and friendly staff. The food was very tasty - minor criticism was that the bread rolls didn't seem fresh/were a bit hard as did the biscuit that accompanied the dessert - otherwise I would have scored them 5 out of 5 for food. The rest of the meal was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceNikkitaDined on 17/1/2014We had the set menu with 3 courses & champagne for £30. Great food, great service and very good value for money, in a great location in Leadenhall Market. For dessert, we both chose the cheeseboard, and I was defeated..............generous portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightbbswDined on 10/1/2014went with my partner for the second time to Chamberlains , really enjoyed the first visit and wasn't disappointed this time we planned to have the 3 course and belini deal which is great value as my partner had smoked salmon and venison loin I couldn't resist paying for a la carte menu and enjoyed a perfectly cooked grilled dover sole and sublime lemon cheesecake for pud. Service was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishNormskiVIPDined on 7/1/2014This was our first time at Chamberlains and we were celebrating our anniversary. The fixed price menu seemed to offer good value, but we chose from main menu. Excellent lobster and great monkfish which was a special. We'll come back and try the fixed price menu another time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, discreetDuettoDined on 26/11/2013Excellent service, discreet and prompt. Delicious food, beautifully presented. Special of the day was monkfish - very nice indeed. Ambience ok but lacking in warmth probably due to lack of diners. Food pricey but it is in the City and not out of kilter with other restaurants of similar quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good standard of foodJRM1Dined on 8/11/2013Set in the Leadenhall market so nice for tourist if looking for good food has a more relaxed bistro downstairs. All dishes where well executed but a little on the small side. Loved the pudding of figs and stilton with a port sauce every thing I like for desert on one plate, worked very well. Had some good wine by the glass.Special Features:
- Business lunch on a wednesday.ABZLCYDined on 6/11/2013Business lunch on a wednesday. Fairly quiet but a good atmosphere inside and the location in Leadenhall market always adds to the overall experience. Good service provided by a relatively young & inexperienced waiter who was kept tightly on course by the Maitre D'. Good quality Lobster Bisque followed by a large and delicious skate wing washed down by a glass of nice but relatively inexpensive savignon blanc. If you enjoy fish this is a great place to eat in the city. Slightly pricey but worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic food in iconic LondoncrowDined on 17/10/2013fantastic food in iconic London setting, right in middle of Leadenhall Market. Not cheap but worth it. my favourite business lunch spotSpecial Features:
- Another lovely evening inAWAWVIPDined on 9/10/2013Another lovely evening in Chamberlains - really good food (we chose from the toptable menu) and excellent service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Went on a Friday, restaurantBarryDined on 13/9/2013Went on a Friday, restaurant quiet. Service was excellent and staff friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - enjoyable eveningCogent2001Dined on 6/9/2013The food/Service was good. unfortunately we were the only people in the place, which lacked the ambience. I can imagine that during the day/mid week exclude Friday that this place is busy with City folks having business lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but veryRLF1Dined on 5/9/2013The food was good but very slow. Waiters were attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 148 reviews are from the Chamberlain's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Welcoming!MoonlightVIPDined on 8/8/2013Great service, and a real effort to go out of the way for us. Food was good value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodSouthernerDined on 19/7/2013I have never been disappointed by the food and service at Chamberlain's. Located in Leadenhall Market, it is great to have a fish restaurant maintaining the traditions of simple but good fresh fish in this historic area.Special Features:
- Brilliant service, lovelyXedeDined on 5/7/2013Brilliant service, lovely atmosphere and great food, we have a wonderful Friday evening thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousQuinzenVIPDined on 2/7/2013The food was amazing on our visit, especially the fois gras. Service as always was spot on, fabulous venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a rapid lunch in thebr1956VIPDined on 1/7/2013I had a rapid lunch in the City at Chamberlains in Leadenhall Market. Although our table was right behind a pillar, service was prompt and the quality of the food served was good. I felt the choice was limited, and i would have expected more fish options on the menu, but the half lobster Thermidor i had was excellent, albeit quite small. Pricing of the dishes definitely makes this more of a business expense venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Fish Down!MILZDined on 27/6/2013Perhaps just bad luck? Both sea bass & lobster not on the menu last Thursday was limiting the choice. Service a bit slow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.