Gullane, EH31 2EGNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.greywalls.co.uk/dining
- Phone: 01620 842144
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 7:00am - 10:00am, 12:00pm - 2:00pm, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from Chez Roux
Set on the very edge of the Muirfield championship golf course is a stunning Edwardian country house full of regal charm. This house is the stunning Greywalls Hotel, home to Chez Roux, a fantastical Franco-Scottish dining experience. In rooms of British racing green, on furniture upholstered in gloriously appropriate tartan guests enjoy a French feast overlooking Muirfield’s 10th tee. Professional and attentive service is a Chez Roux standard as is the fine selection of wines and – of course – wide range of malt whiskies. Bringing together the best of Scottish ingredients with the finest French skills, the kitchen has accomplished an impressive, decadent and extremely special menu set to get the UK’s gastronomes talking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chez Roux - Best restaurants in East Lothian ›
Chez Roux reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (4)romance (3)sunday lunch (3)afternoon tea (3)fit for foodies (2)good vegetarian options (1)business meals (1)Show More
- Not quite thereSinBosunDined on 4/4/2014The welcome was warm and friendly but there was a big party being catered for and so we were left with our aperitifs for nearly half an hour before ordering. The library where we waited was pleasant but the piano music was too loud making it difficult to converse. The wine was excellent, though expensive, The belly pork was on the menu as coming with spinach but was served with white cabbage, something I dislike and so would not have chosen. The crackling on the pork was not crisp but chewy. Otherwise my comments would be that the food was fine but portions small. A bugbear of mine is being interrupted to be asked if everything is ok. This should not happen and is intrusive and I was disappointed to be subjected to it at Chez Roux.Special Features:
- Greywalls - personal opinion only.FussyGreybeardDined on 15/2/2014The location is great and the staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful. The "amuse bouche" were light and tasty. I chose the split pea soup as starter - sadly, it was not very flavourful, (not offensive either to be fair) - the soft egg was easily the best part. The main course, (Aberdeen Angus), surprised my wife and I as we were given serrated knives to eat it ... we're old enough to remember the 80's - not at all what we expected here as we thought that we had moved beyond this ... we've eaten cheaper, tastier, more tender, steaks from supermarkets. I did not try any desserts but the Passionfruit souffle looked lovely (as did all the desserts) and the "Petits-Fours" went down a treat with those who could eat them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Chez Roux reviews archive.
- Marvelous setting, excellentmurdoduncanDined on 1/9/2013Marvelous setting, excellent food, great service. What a place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion!hablopocoDined on 9/8/2013Set in a beautiful location Chez Roux at Greywalls is a hidden gem. Wonderful setting, good food and excellent service. We will make a return trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food seeing MuirfieldTopgolfDined on 24/5/2013We had a pleasant evening with very good food in an fantastic environment overlooking the 18th green at Muirfield. The staff was very kind and took care of us in the best way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place to goLK84Dined on 14/1/2013Outstanding food, well worth making a trip there it will be even better when the refurbishment is completed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surroundings, superRhubarbDined on 7/9/2012Great surroundings, super service and excellent food and wine. An irresistible combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service. Magical.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2012Lovely food and good service in an idyllic location. We had a fantastic lunch here.Special Features:
- Chez Roux, Gullane, East Lothian FrGirlfoodieDined on 24/3/2012Chez Roux, Gullane, East Lothian From start to finish this place is something special. From the minute you arrive the service is amazing.The food was what you'd expect from Albert Roux, just as good to look at as to eat. For a special treat it's the perfect place. It's even better if you're a golfer as it overlooks Muirfield golf course.
- Chez Roux restaurant in EastalnmouthDined on 28/1/2012Chez Roux restaurant in East Lothian (Gullane) A wonderful evening, very good value indeed for such indulgent and perfectly prepared and delivered food. The welcome was great, massive log fires with overstuffed sofas and a library full of great books. Amuse bouche and drinks served here, dinner ordered and served beautifully by extremely pleasant staff. Wine superb (although by the glass) as we are fairly light drinkers. I had a souffle for desert... manificent!
- Another very pleasant lunchwestcoasterDined on 30/11/2011Another very pleasant lunch at CHEZ ROUX within the relaxing and comfortable Greywalls Hotel.Perhaps not quite so good as our first visit the food was good and the staff were just as nice but one or two odd hitches arose. We were most surprised that some time after our order we were told that there was no Bream.This despite it being on the set menu for the day and us being the first dinersThis was explained by staff as a delivery failure.There also a shortage of set dessert.Strange!
- Chez Roux at Greywalls livedprawntailsDined on 10/10/2011Chez Roux at Greywalls lived up to every expectation especially when it came to the level of service. A tremendously good dining experience enjoyed by all six in the party. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending this particular Chez Roux.
- Chez Roux at Greywalls, MuirfieldBonViveurVIPDined on 6/10/2011Chez Roux at Greywalls, Muirfield did not disappoint. Surprisingly busy on a Thursday evening with a menu offering something for everyone with 3 courses for £28 or the a la Carte. Started with a generous portion of smoked salmon with beetroot and horseradish cream. Main course was venison with a delicious fennel tart and couldn't resist the souffle for dessert. Service was good and a great selection of wine by the glass and half bottle too which is handy if you're driving. Highly recommended.
- We had a great meal at ChezmuncherDined on 30/7/2011We had a great meal at Chez Roux! On arrival we were greeted by very welcoming staff who showed us through to a very comfortable and luxurious library. There we were offered entres and entertained by a pianist. The meal itself was outstanding with a varied menu using locally sourced ingredients. Great value for money! My only concern in the dining room was how close the table was next to us. It was a bit off putting and made us feel slightly awkward. All in all, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
- Tried Chez Roux at GullaneBonViveurVIPDined on 21/7/2011Tried Chez Roux at Gullane near Edinburgh for the first time on 21 July. I was expecting the food to be good but it surpassed my expectations. Decided to go for the A la Carte menu rather than the 3 courses for £28 just because there was more seafood available. Smoked salmon to start followed by huge scallops then finished off with a hazelnut souffle. Great selection of wine too. Would recommend a visit. Fabulous setting too.
- We had an excellent eveningfoodyDined on 8/6/2011We had an excellent evening at Chez Roux Restaurant, Gullane. Everything was perfect from the warm welcome on arriving, the excellent food and outstanding service. We went with visiting friends who were very impressed.
- Visited Chez Roux at GreywallsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 30/4/2011Visited Chez Roux at Greywalls in Gullane for Special Offer Lunch. Food was true fine dining in a lovely dining room. Lovely canapes while waiting to be taken into the dining room and coffee with petit fours in the library after all included in the incredible price of £25 for 3 courses. an excellent experience in every way. Highly recommended
- A delightful birthday treat,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 15/11/2010A delightful birthday treat, lovely food, great service and a full three course bargain which included some delicious and unexpected little surprises.
- went to Chez Roux at GullaneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 31/10/2010went to Chez Roux at Gullane for the second time this month , the fixed price menu is superb value .............. the food was fantastic and service spot on , will defintely go back for more
- Chez Roux in Gullane was aLK84Dined on 5/6/2010Chez Roux in Gullane was a truely memorable event, the food was lovely and the staff were very attentive. They also do a Roux express menu in the bar which is like tapas with a small tastes of every course for £15.50 which we will go back and try. If there was any critisim it was that we could have done with a few more pieces of fish tempura for the main course as only got 4 and 1 more would have been better. Restaurant and hotel are elegant, shame the signage to get you there looks cheap.