Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe
1214 Stratford Road
Birmingham, B28 9BHNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thehorseshoebar.co.uk/public.html
- Phone: 01217772340
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Our highly talented team will create an exquisite tailored menu and our Executive Chef will be delighted to meet with you personally to discuss your specific needs. An in-house florist and DJ are also available. We cater from intimate house party for 20 guests to large corporate events for 500 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We would be delighted to host your party. Ideal for events ranging from Awards Ceremonies and Weddings to Product Launches and Private Dining - we offer a choice of rooms, exquisite cuisine and extensive wine & cocktail lists.
For private functions, a selection of seasonal party menus is available to choose from. These menus provide a full range of themes including traditional and gastronomic options.
- Private Party Contact: Tan 07730395871
A word from Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe
Chilli & Spice is a fabulous Indian restaurant and bar, offering authentic North Indian Cuisine and gorgeous cocktails alongside modern English dishes. The restaurant offers a sophisticated fine dining experience with effortlessly charming staff, discrete service and tantalising food that few can compete with. That is the combination to ensure guests come back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since 22 October 2013
business meals (5)special occasions (5)romance (4)group bookings (3)sunday lunch (3)good vegetarian options (3)child friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)disabled access (1)outstanding value (1)brunch (1)Show More
- ExcellentSensterDined on 30/3/2014Really good indian food and excellent service definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Dismal ServiceSarvismanDined on 29/3/2014This was my fourth visit and I am Disappointed that despite good quality food the service levels have not improved at all :( My wife suffers from IBS and cannot eat spivey food and whilst the staff promise mild food, the kitchen staff are not told about the spice levels which either suggests that all spices are done at one level or the East European staff do not understand?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly serviceHallGreenerDined on 19/1/2014Excellent food, good varierty in the menu. Really cool music selection. Clean, good disabled access. Really nice, friendly, courteous and efficient staff. Food is a bit pricey considering portion size, but its a minor niggle. Otherwise brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningCozza1Dined on 3/11/2013I took my partner here for a meal on Sunday 3rd November 2013. Neither of us had been before, as soon as we arrived the surroundings We're really nice and all staff we very friendly and efficient. Our meal was perfect and drinks flowing, our whole Evening was chilling and romantic. We will defiantly be returning In the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe reviews archive.
- The single thing that letMickySmartDined on 1/9/2013The single thing that let it down was the main course....both just weren't curries but rather a caserole in literally thin gravy. In facy my wife's Rogan Josh was literally a can of Mullagatawny soup with lumps of meat in it. The starters were to die for and so generous in size and the staff and ambience really great but then floored with the mains.
- Too hot to handleKagsDined on 25/8/2013Nice starter and good kulfi, but otherwise a disappointment. We were on a Groupon. Phoned them direct, but they were "fully booked". Immediately booked via Top Table, no probs. they were half empty all evening - so we were not impressed by them lying. Spicy poppadoms arrived. "Have you any plain poppadoms?". "I don't know" said the waitress, and then she stood there waiting for something to happen. There weren't any. The "refreshing" mint dip was a vindaloo. The starter was nice but the main (Rogan Josh) was no better than I make at home with curry powder. Plenty of less pretentious places down the road will give you a better meal for half the price. Never again - not even on a Groupon.
- menu did not match up to venue!dissapointedDined on 18/8/2013Saw this restaurant on toptable and website with pics of restaurant looked impressive. Menu also looked good. However, when we arrived the place was empty....not a good sign for a sunday lunch time. We all ordered dishes from the 'English" menu including the sea bass fillet, a fish risotto, sunday lunch and pizza. All the mains were pretty poor....the risotto was very stodgy without any really fish taste except for some thrown in prawns and a small piece of fish on top. The sea bass was very basic and served with old lettuce leaves. We ordered a choc fondant for dessert.....overcooked and solid throughout. All in all the food was a major disappointment and I would not return.
- Good FoodWendiddlyDined on 9/7/2013The food was reasonable, we had a long wait for our starter and think we had been forgotten because when starters arrived there were cold. The waitress seemed new and forgot us.The restaurant manager took over and service improved. The waitress took over again. My husband had ice cream and was brought one scoop in a large dish. In the past we have always had 3 scoops for £4.50 - very expensive. The menu needs to be changed because for the past 2 years there has been no new/different dishes added, portions are getting smaller too. This restaurant has a good name but unfortunately it is getting a bit samey. A new menu is needed for the European food with some imaginative dishes added. Shame, because they are letting themselves down now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Bite!redjewl61Dined on 28/6/2013Spacious restaurant and bar area. Very good bar service, bar staff offered assistance with choosing wine, which was appreciated. Good service, lovely food, excellent value with Groupon voucher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening MealJoolsDined on 8/6/2013The 3 course meal was of excellent quality, the service was very good with just the right intervals between courses and staff were welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!KateDined on 5/5/2013We are regular visitors to The Horseshoe Bar as the food is always amazing. This time we both chose from the Chilli and Spice menu and it was lovely. We had tandoori chicken to start followed by lamb biryani and Govan Meen Curry. We finished with ice cream which was amazing. The atmosphere was good and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing night outmaj42Dined on 27/4/2013Disappointing night out Where do I begin -. I requested cocktail menu and we made our selection only to be told they were not serving cocktails. Chilli and Spice menu – has no prices listed . We were assured 2 meals would be on the milder side. But when they arrived the waitress couldn’t distinguish them 3 different dishes all looked the same. , we tasted each meal but all were equally spicy. Finally we decided on dessert but the first item wasn’t available then we selected a standard ice cream only to be advised that this too wasn’t available in fact 2pages of desserts were not available., I definitely will not be recommending this restaurant to friends
- Drinks are very pricey asJaggyDined on 13/4/2013Drinks are very pricey as competition around esp doubles are twice the cost compared to pubs around the area, give a double for a £1 extra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better all the timeMelodyDansonDined on 6/3/2013Met a mate for dinner at Chilli & Spice at The Horseshoe. Perfect place to catch up and enjoy some nice food. First chance to try out the new menu, with mostly good results. My friend loved her risotto and my Chicken Funghi was gorgeous, with its creamy sauce and mushroom stuffing. My (starter) scallops were very small, gritty, & still cold in the centre. Had to send them back & they cooked another correctly without a grumble. Otherwise all was lovely. Good wine list at reasonable prices, even by the glass, and their fab choice of bourbons is ever expanding. As always, great value, good food, with a temptingly wonderful Indian menu and good solid European food for those who don't want spice. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Local PlaceBeckiDined on 27/2/2013We arrived to a busy place with a great atmosphere - which I was suprised considering it was a Wednesday. We were taken to our table straight away and asked for drinks. It took a while for the waitress to take our orders, however they didn't take too long to come. I went with a friend who ordered Swordfish from the English menu and said it was very good and excellent value for money. I had the Okra from the Indian menu and it was lovely - lots of flavour and spice. I had accomaniments of naan and a lovely refreshing raita. Although the portion size of the raita was a lot for me, it tasty nevertheless! Neither of us had starter or pudding. It is excellent food and value for money and somewhere I will be going to again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for moneyMelodyDansonDined on 25/1/2013Came in for an impromptu family dinner to Chilli & Spice at the Horseshoe. This place is quickly becoming a family favourite. Just around the corner, reasonable prices and reliably good food. Their Indian dishes are particularly good. My husband invariably goes for the lamb shank, which he loves. I tried the duck this time. Tasty, but a bit too sweet. Would benefit from a more tart glaze to counter the richness of the duck. Something for everyone here, which is probably why it's so popular with families. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been a few times nowWendiddlyDined on 16/1/2013We've been a few times now but unfortunateloy they have stopped serving vegetables with many of their main meals. I ordered lamb shank, which used to come with roasted root veg and mashed potatoes but now comes with just mashed potato and 4 cherry toms! Very Poor. Everything else was good, such a shame about the veg, other people were commenting on this in the restaurant too. Come on Horseshoes, buck your ideas up and serve vegetables as we are all encouraged to eat more vegetables for our health. I really missed them.Special Features:
- Christmas 2012RobDealDined on 22/12/2012Good food and exemplary service. Very relaxed. Good atmosphere for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Christmas DinnerLollypottsDined on 17/12/2012As always food delicious and best presentation in any 'pub' that we know of .... timings great with enough space between courses .... efficient staff ... if there is one criticism it would be that, for us, there was too much! But that would not apply for most so all in all will be continuing to dine here.Special Features:
- The food was great but theRaksDined on 15/12/2012The food was great but the service was a little slow and sometime had the orders mixed up. Starters were tasty and even the vegie option went down well with the meat eaters. Mains were good and the deserts were average. Overall a good night was had so I would recommend the Horseshoe for a night out with the lads or for a group booking too.Special Features:
- Well looked afterOmshanti24Dined on 14/12/2012Very good service, well looked after, delicious, well presented food, the non- vegetarian meta platter as a starter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!paul67Dined on 13/12/2012I am a regular to the chili and spice/ Horseshoe inHall Green, outstanding food, fantastic service and the friendliest staff, CJ is such a top guy and controls front of house with such calmness and charm, fully recommend it to anybody and everybody. P.j.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Head Waiter was Extremely rudeAmylouDined on 13/10/2012Great food but won't be eating here again as the chubby asian man had an absolutely disgusting attitude, He was rude, arrogant and didn't smile at all. The young foreign waitresses however were lovely.
- Real Indian Foodejw123Dined on 22/9/2012Overall, as you will see from my ratings above, the experience was excellent and the food served were very good, and I will definitely book again at this restaurant. However, we did feel that we had been forgotten which may have been because the majority of our table were vegetarians, the food took a long time to arrive and it was noticeable that others were being served ahead of our table but who had arrived later than we had.Special Features:
- Anniversary MealWendiddlyDined on 9/7/2012My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal on 9th July for our Wedding Anniversary - the food was plentiful, well cooked and very tasty. The service was fantastic, quick and very polite and accommodating. There was a lovely buzz about the place but we were not rushed or overcrowded, it was a wonderful evening. We went home very satisfied. Thank you.Special Features:
- birthday nosh!rapparDined on 30/6/2012Went for this meal through a Groupon deal. Nice choice of starters. The Fish & Chips main course was well presented and flavoursome. The duck breast with mash and green beans was superb except there was too much sauce served. The Movenpick ice creams were delicious. There was so much food on the plates, that we were unable to eat all of our meals. It might be an idea to reduce the servings, or have a smaller option on the menu (for the over 60's).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but standards are slipping!LadysashaDined on 5/6/2012Over the past year or so standards have been slipping. The quality of the food is not as good as it was. Not sure whether due to a change in the chef or corners being cut by using cheaper ingredients. The service is hit and miss. Tanveer will go out of his way to greet regular customers. If he's not there then even staff who know that you are a regular will look through you especially the long-standing head waiter! The restaurant is due to feature on Kitchen Wars but perhaps it would be better for the management to focus on the service being provided closer to home before chasing celebrity status. Come on guys I know you are capable of better. Lets get back to a 5 star all round experience.Special Features:
- We both enjoyed our food 1moorsnutDined on 3/6/2012We both enjoyed our food 1 of us had the Sunday Lunch menu very good value. I went A La Carte and enjoyed a good Pate and the Crispy Duck. Will go here againSpecial Features:
- A fabulous meal, we will beWendiddlyDined on 17/5/2012A fabulous meal, we will be going to Chilli and Spice at the Horseshoe again. Food, staff and place were great. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We decided to have a last-minuteMelodyDansonDined on 20/4/2012We decided to have a last-minute meal out and didn't want to go far, so Chilli and Spice was an easy choice. The restaurant is always busy & offers Indian or European menus. I had pasta with scallops & prawns, he chose lamb shank. Both were tasty but the sauce for the lamb was too salty & the pasta would benefit from fresh pepper and parmesan, which weren't even offered. Service is friendly but slow. Overall a pleasant evening & worth another trip just to sample the range of bourbons in the bar.
- Although the food was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2012Although the food was delicious and you could not fault service. We found that the managment were not that welcoming at the desk when we arrived. Welcome smile would have been nice. The waiting staff were lovely. We were 15 mins late and we had an addional diner( my son turned up inexpectently) but we have dined there before and had the same reception. A smile costs nothing! It is a very beautifully decorated bar and restaurant and they are obviously doing exteemely well so why the long faces! Our usual venue for Indian food is Shirley Spice on the Stratford Rd and although not quite as posh, we are always made to feel very welcome indeed nothing is to much trouble!
- Excellent Food!LJ23Dined on 18/3/2012The food is delicious at the horseshoe and the presentation is excellent the only thing that lets this place down is the service is a bit slow but overall it is an excellent place to visit for some lovely food, The restaurant is set out nicely and the tables are well spaced apart so you are not to close to other dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 25/2/2012Nice place to eat out but found restuarants not very flexibleSpecial Features:
- Absolutely fantastic - noOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/2/2012Absolutely fantastic - no other words for it. Food was amazing, service was excellent - I would recommend anyone to go thereSpecial Features:
- Very attentive staff, lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2012Very attentive staff, lovely food, great atmosphere, wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Was pleasantly surprised byOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/1/2012Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of foodThis is authentic Indian foodThe chilli garlic Naan, malai kofta and dal palak highly recomendedWill definitely go there againSpecial Features:
- I go there quite often withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/1/2012I go there quite often with my freinds and family, never had any issuesSpecial Features:
- Tried out the Horseshoe BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 23/12/2011Tried out the Horseshoe Bar in Birmingham following recommendations. Food was good and reasonably priced. They accidentally served a meat dish to a friend that ordered a vegetarian dish but this was quickly rectified. A lively atmosphere too.
- Tried out the Horseshoe BarOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/12/2011Tried out the Horseshoe Bar in Birmingham following recommendations. Food was good and reasonably priced. They accidentally served a meat dish to a friend that ordered a vegetarian dish but this was quickly rectified. A lively atmosphere too.
- The food is go a high qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/12/2011The food is go a high quality and would highly recommend to novice or established Indian food loversSpecial Features: