Chiswell Street Dining Rooms
56 Chiswell Street
London, EC1Y 4SANeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Chiswell Street Dining Rooms
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiswellstreetdining.com/
- Phone: 02076140177
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Wednesday: 11.30am - midnight
Thursday – Friday: 11.30am – 1am
Kitchen opening times
Monday - Friday
Afternoon Tea: 3.30pm-6pm
Pre-theatre: 5.30pm-6.30pm (latest orders at 6.30pm)
Post-theatre: 10pm-10.45pm (latest orders at 10.45pm)
Bar Food 11.45am -11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Richard O'Connell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chiswell Street Dining Rooms have 7 private dining rooms available for breakfast meetings, daytime conferences, receptions and dinners. We are able to host events from 6 guests to 80 and offer a variety of menus to suit every event.
- Private Party Contact: Gemma Brown 02076140177
- Cross Street: Milton Street
- Public Transit: Moorgate & Barbican Tube Stations
- Parking: Public Car Park
- Parking Details: NCP Car park
London Finsbury Square
Features: CCTV, Motorcycle Spaces
Accepts payments: Coins, Notes, Cards
Height restrictions: 6' 6" (1.98m)
Number of spaces: 258
A word from Chiswell Street Dining Rooms
The Chiswell Street Dining Rooms is a contemporary modern British restaurant and cocktail bar open Monday to Friday for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiswell Street Dining Rooms reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since 2 June 2014
business meals (92)fit for foodies (39)special occasions (37)pre/post theatre (29)group bookings (21)romance (18)good vegetarian options (9)outstanding value (9)brunch (6)afternoon tea (5)sunday lunch (4)disabled access (4)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Standards slipping a littleCallyDined on 25/9/2014Went with my daughter this week and the staff seemed inexperienced The man poured wine into the second glass as I was picking mine up to taste One did not understand when I queried what was in one dish before ordering. When she understood she did not know the answer. Poor knowledge and training /briefing of waiting staff in both cases,unengaged!. The food was OK but I ordered "hand-cut" chips. We thought that they were slightly undercooked but, more significantly, were far too regular to have been cut by hand. We queried this with the Manager who said that they were fed by hand into a mould (or some other machine like that) that cut them very evenly. That is not "hand cut"! To his credit the manager knocked them off the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious three course meal offerbritnoDined on 23/9/2014We had a lovely meal at this restaurant. Even within the set meal on offer there were enough choices for somebody who is vegetarian, requires gluten free food, and somebody who is on a fitness diet. It was very busy in the evening with larger groups having to be catered for, but they found a quieter table for the three of us. Maybe that's why the service was a little slower than expected. But I would go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 29/8/2014Nice venue and décor. Menu is expensive at full price but food is very high quality, presented well. At dinner, service is slack .We had trouble over our table but eventually prevailed. But this place is ALL about lunch - reflecting its City location when lunches are on expenses - so if they're serious about dinner guests then they need to display a bit more service. There's no point in running Opentable offers for dinner and treating guests offhand: some of us come back at lunch with clients.
- Lobster wasnt greatDuneDined on 29/8/2014I ordered the Lobster with Chips. When it arrived it was cold and part of it looked and tasted raw. The chips was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiswell Street Dining RoomsReviewer1VIPDined on 18/8/2014Chiswell Street Dining Rooms - good quality food, reliable serviceSpecial Features:
- DinnerIJDJCEDined on 15/8/2014Very good. Excellent value with 50% discount. Knickerbockerglory took me straight back to Happy Eater in the 80s!Special Features:
- Business lunchroonsterDined on 15/8/2014Attended last week food service and attention to detail excellentSpecial Features:
- Great atmosphere but over pricedCharlotteVIPDined on 11/8/2014It is nice enough and the place is great for an after dinner drink with good food - but really it is very overpriced. The menus aren't very imaginative - steak is steak... could do a lot better
- Slick lunch experienceSlinkycherubsVIPDined on 6/8/2014I loved Chiswell Street Dining Rooms - the decor with its funky lime, the excellent desserts and perfect atmosphere for a working lunch...Special Features:
- Shambolic!TocsyDined on 1/8/2014Went for lunch on a Friday, one of my party cannot eat cheese (it makes him violently ill) and we told the waitress. He ordered ox tongue to start, and burger with no cheese and chunky chips. Ox tongue came with Parmesan, as we only discovered when it arrived. It had to be sent back and its replacement took a long time to arrive. The burger came with French fries instead of chunky chips; and no bacon. My french fries were stale and I had to send them back. For dessert we ordered a Bakewell tart but were brought a chocolate tart. So that had to go back too. Our waitress was lovely and very helpful, and they took the burger off the bill and gave us our desserts for free. But it was all rather shambolic and I'm afraid I won't be going back.
- Good as always.Anopheles5050VIPDined on 31/7/2014Meal was good as always. We had to leave promptly and the staff worked well to ensure we were finished in good time.Special Features:
- Thank you TomAnne22Dined on 22/7/2014We dined at chips well Dining Rooms after my nephew graduated from university this week, and to also celebrate a birthday. I was a little worried as I had seen mixed reviews after booking. I was very quickly reassured! the staff were welcoming ad friendly, not too much. We had Tom looking after us, and he was great. He went out of his way to ensure the young child in the group got a simpler dish, checked we were ok and we never felt we were being hurried etc. The food was good, everyone was happy with their meal. 3ordered from the set menu, excellent value for money. I was amazed at the bill at the end, just over £200 for 6, which included a bottle of wine and several beers.Special Features:
- SwaltzVIPDined on 11/7/2014Been to Chiswell Street Dining Rooms a few times but on this occasion the service was below standard and the starter poor.Special Features:
- Reliable, professional & delicous!ap546Dined on 2/7/2014I planned a dinner from the United States with Chiswell for ten people while traveling in London (myself not one of them). Chiswell's communication with me across the Atlantic and despite time zone difference was fantastic and gave me great confidence in working with them from afar. They were flexible with last minute changes. Diners reported dinner was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChriseatsChriseatsDined on 27/6/2014Fantastic atmosphere and stylish surroundings. Food is well cooked but on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Eager to returnVerdurinDined on 6/6/2014Our only complaint was that. as we'd booked for early evening, they thought we were pre-theatre and brought everything rather too quickly. We're now eager to go back at a later hour and take it easy. There's a huge cocktail menu (one of the things we'd like to linger over) and the food (perfectly cooked fish) was excellent. Service was very friendly. Because they got one of the cocktails slightly wrong, we were offered complimentary desserts (also excellent). It felt like a special occasion.Special Features:
- MasaikeVIPDined on 5/6/2014I'd been looking forward to coming here. It has a smart, clubby feel. The food was excellent. The service very attentive. Too attentive. The wine glasses were topped up even when there was plenty in and another bottle was offered even when all the glasses were full. Neither of the wines we drank were the vintage listed either. A small point, but the waiters didn't mention it, not even the second time, after I'd queried the first. The whole meal was pricey - about £80 a head. And I think there are better places at that price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CodMameatsVIPDined on 5/6/2014The Peterhead cod is fantastic and the Lemon Sole were thick and beautifully cooked, fish is so good at CSDR. Go before the North Sea runs out of fish.Special Features:
- FairmattylllDined on 30/5/2014Quality ingredients, service sporadic had to ask for wine list and water twice. Very noisy. Felt expensive, £17 for a burger - not the best burger either! Decent food, but probably better on the company rather than out of your own pocket!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well presented and creative dinnerAsherleeDined on 27/5/2014Well thought out and tasty. perfectly cooked fish. and all a bit creative and slightly fancy without being overly fussy. Went with a group of friends but would also recommend for business purposes. They were happy to cater for me and my gluten free requests also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best CodMameatsVIPDined on 19/5/2014Fish at CSDR is just so good. Generous cut then perfectly cooked. So firm, white and perfectly structured. FantasticSpecial Features:
- Decent value pleasant atmospherenycdinerDined on 1/5/2014Although the pre-theatre menu was a pretty decent value, the cuisine was a bit overrated, especially given some of the rave reviews that I've seen. In particular I was quite disappointed with the very appetizing sounding young leek and grelot onion soup: it was extremely bland and flavorless. The grilled lemon sole was much better, but I admit to ordering rather conservatively after the disappointing soup. (How much can go wrong with grilled sole?) As a single diner I was thoughtfully seated in the much quieter and less crowded back of the restaurant and the service was fairly attentive and not slow. No problem leaving in time for the theatre.Special Features:
- Waiting for ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/4/2014Chiswell Street Dining Rooms is well established and thus should provide a seamless operation. Sadly it was not so. The crab starter was excellent and well worth the menu price; the pasta main course was good but the black face lamb dish left something to be desired. The lamb was tasty though far more 'chewy' than it should be and the potato was well underdone. Staff flitted about fairly constantly but were far more interested in conversations between each other than customers so it was almost impossible to attract their attention. Particularly, two stood at the computer booking place with their backs to the diners. This was at a time when the place was virtually empty; it did not fill until the 8 o'clock crowd came in.
- Very niceNonicknameDined on 15/4/2014Good for a business lunch and probably for an evening meal also.Special Features:
- Perfect For DatingAlexanderReetsDined on 4/4/2014Great food and wine, nice service, easy going special requests. Liked the interior and the crowd, plus the location. If you are on a date you have enough privacy to have discussions just between the both of you without feeling pampered to munch. Enjoyed it a lot.Special Features:
- Insufficient PortionsSG11Dined on 3/4/2014We ate here on a Friday night. It was fairly busy but the service was excellent, the staff were quick and happy to accommodate any request. The main concern was the portion size given the prices... £14.50 for 3 scallops and £24 for 3 pieces of a seabass fillet. The accompanying vegetables were equally tiny. In the end the bill was £80 for 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 soft drinks and 2 coffees which when you leave the restaurant thinking you could eat another dinner is expensive.Special Features:
- Great standard city diningBradVIPDined on 3/4/2014Another great visit to Chiswell Street dining rooms. This time the cooking was a little too ambitious with some odd flavour combinations, but still very well executed.
- Must Try HarderBobbimidnightDined on 28/3/2014The service is the big problem here. Well meaning but undertrained. When we had dinner on a Friday night three of the eight starters were unavailable. Food better than average but anywhere near the bar make conversation difficult and ruins the atmosphere. Could be more than just a useful place to eat near the Barbican but it will take work.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchMameatsVIPDined on 27/3/2014Lunch at CSDR is a great foodie experience. So often in the City the menu is bland and the same, here it bristles with game, fish, exotic meats all matched with rest service and excellent wine list. My favourite, along with the Jugged Hare of course, I choose CSDR for a more relaxed sophisticated market lunch.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theatre venue.lowregisterDined on 25/3/2014Conveniently close to the Barbican, this is an ideal place for a pre-theatre meal. The set menu is good value, the wine list is reasonably priced and the sevice is friendly but unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold!dev123VIPDined on 25/3/2014The food was pretty good and the service too, but it seems like they were saving money on heating - the restaurant was cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice ambiance and staffLindsayDined on 21/3/2014Really nice ambiance and staff are very good. We ordered steak - quality of meat really poor.
- Great place. A shame the waiter'sThomasEikremVIPDined on 17/3/2014Great place. A shame the waiter's English is so poor he got the order wrong...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not really answer accuratelyMoiraDined on 17/3/2014Could not really answer accurately re value as was not payingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggies avoid...KarenPDined on 7/3/2014I do not eat meat and unless I wanted fish there were only two options for me, a heavy pasta with a mustard sauce or a blue cheese salad. I asked for the salad as my mains our waitress stated that I had already had salad as a starter and did I really want salad again. To which I said that I did not eat meat and did not fancy any fish and there was no chicken on the menu. At this point she stated that I should eat the rabbit! I pointed out that chicken has feather and rabbit has fur and to two are not related. When the main salad came, how can I put this, it appeared as though someone had gone to the supermarket got a fairly cheap bag of salad - threw some tiny bits of cheese (from a distance) into the bowl and wanted to charge me £13.50!
- Lovely restaurant, rather overpriceCharlotteVIPDined on 7/3/2014It is a great spot to eat and they have priced themselves for those in the city who claim back business lunches. A club sandwich and chips for 17.50 is ridiculous. However the fish is beautiful and well worth spending the money on.
- 2nd time I have been hereNButlerDined on 3/3/20142nd time I have been here and again great food. I found the menu a little limited for what I fancied this time, so had the burger which is very unlike me but it was very good. The first visit I could have eaten everything on the menu! But, nice they change it on a daily basis. By far the best Gin Mare in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant around BarbicanAnopheles5050VIPDined on 27/2/2014I have now settled on the Chiswell Street Dining Room as my venue of choice around the Barbican/Moorgate area. I had a business lunch on this occasion, when the place was full but still able to talk reasonably confidentially. The sea bass and the haddock tart were excellent. The apple strudel was also very fine if a bit on the large size and you both have to agree to have one. Wine list on an iPad can be a bit of a challenge at first but the actual list is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our pre Barbican favouriteBradVIPDined on 21/2/2014the pre-theatre menu is very good value and it comes with Chiswell's excellent service from polite and friendly (but not overbearing) waiting staff. Beware that on Thursdays and Fridays it can get very noisy in the bar area, so a tip is to ask to be seated at the other end of the restaurant.
- Super mealDalBoyVIPDined on 20/2/2014Chiswell Street Dining is a classy little place. Welcoming bar area and beautifully furnished dining room. Great colour schemes too. They didnt have the pork belly on the pre-theatre menu as published so I switched to the main menu. The lamb was nicely cooked and presentation on all dishes was a good standard. For me the service was the star on the night. The staff were expertly drilled and were always on hand to support you. TY CSD & TT ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.