33 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.closmaggiore.com/
- Phone: 02073799696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00PM - 10.45pm
Sunday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Kindly note that we try to accommodate all requests for seating in the conservatory; however this is always done on a first come first served basis and therefore it may not always be possible to accommodate all requests.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French
- Executive Chef: Marcellin Marc
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Clos Maggiore
Clos Maggiore is an oasis of calm in the heart of Covent Garden. Influenced by the stylish country inns of Provence and Tuscany its unique interiors create a warmth and intimacy enjoyed by both business and private parties. The conservatory has a fully retractable glass roof creating a bright and airy dining space, particularly lovely during the Spring and Summer seasons. It is transformed at night by candles, starlight and a crackling fire during the Winter months. Head Chef Marcellin Marc cooks sublime Provençal inspired cuisine with contemporary panache. Marcellin is committed to using locally sourced seasonal ingredients to create perfectly balanced menus which were awarded three AA-rosettes since 2008. Our extensive cellar at Clos Maggiore includes over 2,000 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low – mid price range. We are very proud to have been awarded the “Best of Award of Excellence” consistently since 2003 by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
Clos Maggiore - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Clos Maggiore reviews from OpenTable diners
1570 reviews since 6 May 2014
romance (1188)special occasions (1183)pre/post theatre (747)fit for foodies (658)business meals (294)outstanding value (293)sunday lunch (190)good vegetarian options (165)group bookings (70)afternoon tea (38)brunch (32)outdoor eating (27)child friendly (9)disabled access (6)Show More
- sassicheDined on 1/9/2014amazing for dates and any kind of romance. one of my favourites in londonSpecial Features:
- Patrick OverPaddyDined on 30/8/2014A very romantic and relaxing ambiance coupled with polite and professional staff. Although we may have preferred to sit in the conservatory area which looked lovely I cannot fault the service or the food. The only shock was the size of the wine list but that just added to the experience. Overall one of the best restaurants in London.Special Features:
- Fantastic pre-theatre dinnerkcigDined on 30/8/2014I booked a table for my partner and I to have pre-theatre dinner at Clos Maggiore. Though we did have to book about 2 months in advance, the restaurant honoured our request to be sat in the beautiful conservatory. The service was excellent, and the wine list was immense! The pre-theatre selections all looked so amazing that it was difficult to choose, and our food was delicious. I would highly recommend this for a special occasion or a romantic night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre theatre matineeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Very friendly staff, very relaxed. Good size portions, not too big or small. Turn around time was 1 hour 20Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerChrisDined on 29/8/2014We have been to Clos Maggiore years ago and we're impressed - I made a booking again recently and found the lady on the phone quite pretentious and abrupt. The overall ambience is beautiful, generally the food is okay but when compared to Roux at the Landau (which is our favourite restaurant with effortless service and sublime food worthy of micheline star ratings) I found Clos Maggiores lacking in service (staff felt to be pretentious and trying too hard). We are total foodies and have dined in so many amazing restaurants, I found the food at CM lacking something special which sets it apart...I would not go there again as I would rather spend the money at Roux at the Landau, or Hubiscus but I would recommend for romantic evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb !!SANDRIDined on 28/8/2014An incredibly romantic restaurant in the heart of london. We went to Clos Maggiore for our anniversary as it is a beautiful resturant, perfect for couples We had a table in the ‘conservatory’ which is beautifully romantic with flowers and fairy lights.The food was delicious,and the wine list is possibly the most extensive in London…in fact we had a really helpful sommerlier who helped us select a wine. We had Roasted Duck Foie Gras for starter which was amazing and after I had ' Duck’ for main course and my husband had the ‘ Welsh Lamb’ both superb. The meal was topped off by our dessert plates spelling out Happy Anniversary in chocolate sauce. Great atmosphere and service, will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great outside the conservatoryGlorDined on 27/8/2014I booked this table for an anniversary dinner, hoping to enjoy the ambiance Clos Maggoire appeared to be renouned for. I requested to sit in the conservatory in our booking reservation, however on arriving we learnt that our table was in the upstairs area, wedged in a corner. This was plain wood pannelled, and nowhere near as atmospheric as even an average restaurant. The serving staff were friendly and did their best to be accomodating. The food was decent, we tried the tasting menu which offered a good value for money, however the food was not quite the same standard as other modern european dineries, it could stand to improve. We were shown the conservatory and this would have offered a better experience. Book early (1mo+) to get this!Special Features:
- Clos MaggioriWYSYDGVIPDined on 27/8/2014We never get bored with this restaurant. It always hits the mark and for lunchtime the Prix Fixe menu is excellent value Will be returning soonSpecial Features:
- A place you should know aboutTimmyDined on 27/8/2014Excellent food and general atmosphere, a very good place to take someone you're hoping to impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Wedding AnniversaryJoelodeazDined on 26/8/2014While in London to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary we dined at this restaurant on our anniversary day. We are VERY happy that we did! The food and wine pairing were some of the best we have ever encountered. The service was right on point and we never felt like we needed anything, but at the same time we never felt crowded by the service. Looking forward to coming back to London and visiting this fine establishment.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceFoodjunkieDined on 26/8/2014Went here for my graduation dinner - wonderful experience! Food was good, service was quick and proper, everything was just in order. Can highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Fab mealFussyeaters7Dined on 26/8/2014Went there for our 25th anniversary the ambiance food and service all first class !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favouriteScapaDined on 25/8/2014I love this restaurant and always visit on my occasional trips to London. Delightful surroundings, romantic, first class service, delicious food, convenient location, fairly priced.Special Features:
- What a treasureanonymousDined on 25/8/2014Dined here on the pre theatre deal and it was a real treat. The food was sublime and the staff attentive without being suffocating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always top!MilesdavisDined on 25/8/2014Been coming for 5 years, some usual suspects on the menu - always good - and some new treats, delicious. They continue to get it right in the kitchen and still the best wine list this side of the Channel.Special Features:
- BGSVDined on 24/8/2014Romantic atmosphere, service could be better. We arrived right on time and had to wait at the entrance with 4 couples more. There were not seats for everyone. I was celebrating our anniversary with my partner and made a request of a intimate table. I know this is upon availabiility but nothing further than that... We were sat right on the entrance. Service was a bit poor. Empty wine glasses, nobody coming to filling them up (obviously we didn't have the bottle with us so we couldn't do it ourselves!). I had high expectations for the place considered "the most romantic restaurant in London". I was expecting a premium treatment but it didn't happened. Whilst service can clearly improve, lighting and atmosphere is nice as well as the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A greedy table.CCR5Dined on 24/8/2014This was my 4th time dinning here and as usual the food did not disappoint. However, the table we had was one that should not have been a table. Close to the serving area, the door opening and closing, wine buckets too close for comfort and the next table within chair bumping distance. This was a table that showed Maggiores management to be greedy for a couple more covers a night. In future I would refuse such a table, preferring to go elsewhere to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still romantic.gourmetseekersDined on 24/8/2014Although our meal was excellent, the value is not what it was before (we had the Sunday dinner and the price has gone up and the extra touches have been eliminated), probably due to economies on the part of the restaurant. Our small criticism is that, although we booked far ahead and requested the Conservatory Room we were seated upstairs. Two other tables we overheard making the identical complaint. This is not so terrible as there are really no bad tables at Clos Maggiore, but it would be nice to know that they look at these requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningJ0njunDined on 23/8/2014This was my first visit to Clos Maggiore and My wife and I were impressed and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great time at Clos MaggiorelovemyfoodDined on 23/8/2014Despite not living in London it's always worth the two hour car or train journey to enjoy this restaurant. Every single member of staff are attentive, knowledgeable and good fun. The food is of a very high standard and good value and the wine list is second to none. We've already booked to return and are already counting the days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoeyedeeratolDined on 22/8/2014The sommelier made excellent wine suggestions to match each course and the food was both well presented and delicious.Special Features:
- Clos MaggioriWYSYDGVIPDined on 22/8/2014As always on form & the lunchtime 'deal' must be one of the best value offers in town A Gluten Free meal was required by one of us which again was not a problem for the staff & kitchen alike RecommendedSpecial Features:
- Simply brilliantSteveDined on 21/8/2014Went for an anniversary meal and ate the seasonal taster menu with wine. Quite simply, it was perfect. The venue itself it stunning, very intimate and very cosy. The food was very, very good, very well presented, tasted brilliant and the service was top class as well. Finally, the wine was excellent, very well matched to the food and served by a knowledgeable sommelier. I would come back here in a heartbeat, it's awesome.Special Features:
- closCharlieVIPDined on 21/8/2014Booked months in advance so had the luxury of sitting in the conservatory - it is just wonderful in there. So pretty. Had the wagu beef which was nice - although far too much food after a heavy starter choice of foie gras! Sommilier was hugely helpful seeing the wine choices were vast - maybe a little bit too vast - it was quite overwhelming. In general its a lovely place to go.
- FantasticojpstevensonDined on 21/8/2014Had our anniversary meal here. The whole experience was absolutely lovely. Make sure you book well in advance to secure a table in the beautiful courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- !Amazing!DivinedineDined on 20/8/2014This is my third visit and enjoyed every minute. My starter was the aubergine, which was good but having tasted the pate on a previous visit, the pate was better. I had duck (again) for the main meal and this was succulent, pink and tasty. The sommelier was knowledgeable and great help choosing the wine for our meal. I could not manage the dessert but had a coffee liqueur instead. This was "amazing", first time that I have had such a hot coffee served in the glass with the cold cream on top. Usually the coffee ends up tepid and spoils the effect of sipping through the cold cream. A most enjoyable lunch. The pain was in the bill with a 12.5% tip added. But, even so, I would still dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Fine Dining ItalianmaverickVIPDined on 19/8/2014Try to book a place in the garden under the flowers! The food is amazing the wine list is spectacular.Special Features:
- All good except the table layoutTabletDined on 18/8/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner here; the food and the service was excellent but we were squeezed into a really tight space. It was in the corner and could not see anything. If I move my arm I would bump into the table behind.Special Features:
- Most Beautiful Restaurant EverBoEverAfterDined on 17/8/2014We felt like being in a fairy tale, surrounded by blossoms, branches, hedges and magical darkened mirrors! The food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Staff very friendly and attentive! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantlilianDined on 17/8/20145th visit, went on 17th Aug at 1.30, absolutely love this restaurant! Have had the Sunday fixed price with wine more than once, excellent value and superb food. Very relaxed, excellant service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent (as usual)Mc4ManusVIPDined on 16/8/2014We booked for dinner post a visit to the ballet. Always a good option for us given that it takes late bookings and it is walkable from the ROH. Food was delicious and sommelier had some excellent, if unexpected, suggestions for accompanying wines by the glass. Getting a table in the main conservatory part of the restaurant is really important as that can alter the whole ambience. One of the problems of always being really good is that you come to expect that level every time you visit and, when you get it, it is simply "normal". So my lack of effusive praise for the restaurant should not be interpreted as any deficiency. We expected it to be excellent and it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- *Beautiful*OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 16/8/2014Many people have told me how lovely the restaurant is, last weekend I experienced it for myself. I had the yellow fin tuna for starters and the rack of lamb for mains... it was stunning. Both the tuna and lamb were cooked to perfection. Service was very good also.Special Features:
- ClosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014What a lovely place, we ate in the conservatory ( to be recommended ). Unless money is no object it is a place for a special occasion; difficult to find a bottle of wine under £100 with most being £200 and very much upwards. Great staff and ambiance.Special Features:
- Wonderful Clos MaggiorerdaberdeenDined on 16/8/2014We had a lovely anniversary lunch at Clos Maggiore, Covent Garden. The food, service and ambience made our visit from Aberdeen so worthwhile. This was topped off by a plate of gorgeous petit fours with "Happy Anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate. Just great.Special Features:
- fabulous placeSashh2Dined on 15/8/2014Staff went out of there way to make it a fabulous evening for us, very attentive but discreet, food was sublime, conservatory so pretty, a delightful evening....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated, expensive, dissapointingLove2eatDined on 14/8/2014We went there for my boyfriends birthday, the food was so heavy and out of season, we alway have dessert but decided against it because the previous courses weren't good! The room was small, pokey and very stuffy and the staff were awkward and not on their game. I wouldnt recomend going there, so upset and will not be returning ever again! For what we payed you expect a certain level!
- Wonderful Anniversary ExperienceCBReceiverDined on 14/8/2014Clos Maggiore proved to be a fantastic choice for an anniversary meal. The standard of food from the set menu was relatively limited, but we had no problem in finding something that we were happy to order. The standard of presentation was superb and the quality could not be faulted. The set menu included a pre-selected bottle of wine for £22.50 which was great value for a really excellent choice. The service was unobtrusive and absolutely impeccable - the staff really made this a special occasion, and took great delight in presenting us with complimentary petit fours on an anniversary decorated plate. The setting really takes this experience to another level - the conservatory is both a surprise and delight. Thank you Clos Maggiore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wine list & topnotch food!OlrickoDined on 13/8/2014Smart modern imaginative cooking and the most extraordinary wine list in london. Dining al fresco under the stars in the patio,is a fabulous experience regrdless whether the roof is opne or not. Happy we managed to view the cellar upsrtairs, nmost impressive.Special Features:
- Excellentfabfood1Dined on 13/8/20144th visit to this exceptional restaurant and as always, the experience was perfect. Stunning food and excellent service. Ridiculously good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!Catp90Dined on 11/8/2014I went to Clos Maggiore for my 24th birthday with my partner and we had a perfect evening. The service was fabulous and the food, exquisite. Definitely would recommend over and over! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.