33 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.closmaggiore.com/
- Phone: 02073799696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00PM - 10.45pm
Sunday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Kindly note that we try to accommodate all requests for seating in the conservatory; however this is always done on a first come first served basis and therefore it may not always be possible to accommodate all requests.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French
- Executive Chef: Marcellin Marc
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Clos Maggiore
Clos Maggiore is an oasis of calm in the heart of Covent Garden. Influenced by the stylish country inns of Provence and Tuscany its unique interiors create a warmth and intimacy enjoyed by both business and private parties. The conservatory has a fully retractable glass roof creating a bright and airy dining space, particularly lovely during the Spring and Summer seasons. It is transformed at night by candles, starlight and a crackling fire during the Winter months. Head Chef Marcellin Marc cooks sublime Provençal inspired cuisine with contemporary panache. Marcellin is committed to using locally sourced seasonal ingredients to create perfectly balanced menus which were awarded three AA-rosettes since 2008. Our extensive cellar at Clos Maggiore includes over 2,000 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low – mid price range. We are very proud to have been awarded the “Best of Award of Excellence” consistently since 2003 by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Clos Maggiore - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Clos Maggiore reviews from OpenTable diners
1561 reviews since 26 October 2013
special occasions (1171)romance (1171)pre/post theatre (722)fit for foodies (646)outstanding value (286)business meals (285)sunday lunch (193)good vegetarian options (156)group bookings (62)afternoon tea (43)brunch (38)outdoor eating (30)child friendly (11)disabled access (4)Show More
- Completely perfect restaurantFoodBearDined on 23/10/2014Clos Maggiore's reputation is well deserved, the setting is perfect and the staff have impeccable manners, they are attentive but not overly so in that you are being bothered too many times to see if your meal is okay. They are very polite and never make you feel awkward, even when I asked half way through my main if I could order a side as I realised I needed to (this only happened because the menu is so amazing its hard to concentrate on one meal!). Whilst the menu is expensive, it is only slightly more expensive than restaurants such as Cafe Des Amis, another french one in the area, but the food, staff and ambiance are exponentially better, which is why I gave it 5 stars for value. Would definitely recommend and visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/10/2014Such a wonderful restaurant. Have been here a couple of times now and is just stunning. The vegetarian option is always incredible, service and attention to detail is second to none and the ambience just spot on.Special Features:
- Siblings lunchQuasiDined on 22/10/2014Our biannual family lunch is always an auspicious occasion. So we were recommended Clos and it came up trumps. Excellent dishes, served with great character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!eateralexDined on 21/10/2014Honestly wonderful. Food was amazing. The chef is worth his/her weight in Gold. The food was rich and extremely tasty. Small portions but the quality of flavour more than filled me up. Although note of warning - if you want something light AVOID even the soup is is truffle-filled, which I love but not for everyone. Staff were attentive but not overly so and very knowledgeable. The wine recommendations were great and the list rather comprehensive. Great for Romance - superb experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovely quiet restaurantMarriedandBrokeDined on 21/10/2014I ate here many years ago also for pre-theatre and it was as great this time as it was the first. I would highly recommend it and I must remember to go more often myself. I haven't given the service 5 stars as we were on the pre-theatre menu hence we were on a tight timescale. Food arrived very promptly from ordering, lovely and hot and delicious but the staff could've got us out the door a bit quicker. However, the staff are very well trained, polite and friendly.Special Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 21/10/2014Lunch at Clos Mzggiore, after an absence of two months, reminded us how good this retaurant is. One hesitates to recommend it to friends because it is always full and difficult enough now to get a table. The chef continues to excel. I had the best soup have ever eaten and only hope it is on the menu tomorrow when, once again, we are dining at the prettieist restaurant in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really recommend this restaurantjudithDined on 20/10/2014Lovely restaurant. Nice atmosphere. Romantic. The perfect place for an special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingEfiNDined on 19/10/2014amazing food and service, all great, we go very often with my wifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/10/2014The restaurant made a special effort to help make a silver wedding anniversary really special. The staff were warm and attentive - the restaurant had none of the pretentiousness you get in some other high end restaurants. And the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/10/2014Once again the quality of the food, service and ambience was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Good FoodTRICKorTREATDined on 18/10/2014We enjoyed a wonderful 10th anniversary meal together. Service was attentive, our somilier in particular shared a range of excellent options with us, including a unique and delicious grappa that rounded our evening off perfectly. The food at Clos is always highly competent and presented to a high standard, without being dramatic. The beef in particular was delicious and our desserts were great fun. As we all know however, it is the ambience that makes Clos so special. Beautfully lit, not too light, not too dark, with decent separation between tables to allow for that special tete a tete that makes this restauarant a real winner. Recommended for lovers everywhere.Special Features:
- In town tonightRogerDined on 18/10/2014After having tried for over a year to persuade my girl friend to eat in town rather than in the country we had a very pleasant and successful evening at Clos Maggiori. The food was excellent and the ambience in the rear room brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place, food and serviceWayneDined on 18/10/2014This is a hidden gem in the heart of Covent Garden, the food is amazing and the service is outstanding. The waiters are at hand for your every need, from explaining the menu, recommending wine and every little detail is taken care of. Make sure you book way in advance as this is definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic resaturantld261Dined on 17/10/2014Food was lovely and the tables were spaced nicely apart so you didn't feel on top of others. Would recommend to couples for a dinner night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAussiedinerDined on 17/10/2014Lovely food, excellent service. Very happy with our experience, look forward to coming back one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday 17th OctoberNjc74Dined on 17/10/2014Absolutely fantastic, restored my faith in good dining, mixed and matched from a few menu's which wasn't a problem to the staff. Great afternoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick if you want to beAlanDined on 17/10/2014My guest could not come at the last minute so I decided I would have a quick lunch myself. The staff delivered an outstanding two course lunch in 30 minutes and were brilliantSpecial Features:
- as good as everpff1804VIPDined on 17/10/2014I went to Clos Maggiore for lunch with a friend. We both opted for the set menu which was very good and with the half bottle of wine represents good value for money. The dining room is lovely and the service impeccable. My only criticism is that there are only three choices for main course on the set menu, one meat, one vegetarian and one fish. The vegetarian dish did not appeal and my friend doesn't eat meat, the only fish dish on the set menu was at a £5 supplement. In view of the limited choice, perhaps the restaurant should offer a fish dish included at the set price.Special Features:
- Book early for conservatoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/10/2014My husband and I had dinner here last night. The food and service were exceptional, but beware if you want a room in the conservatory you need to book months in advance and call the night before to confirm. We were fortunate enough to at least get a table with a view of the conservatory, which did not disappoint.Special Features:
- lafillegourmandeDined on 16/10/2014We went pre-theatre and experienced faultless service and ambience even so early in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for dinner post theatresureshotDined on 15/10/2014Clos Maggiore is a stone's throw from the Royal Opera House, and offers a lovely post-theatre dinner option. Staff was extremely accomodating and helpful, serving up a very nice meal at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceclaireDined on 15/10/2014Really enjoyed the service and ambience in this restaurant. Nice and relaxing atmosphere to take in delicious food after a day of hustle and bustle in busy London. Impressed with the little touches and the food is not too pricey considering the quality. Would definitely recommend to anyone either for a romantic evening or a nice chilled out meal with friends.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre delightsga44Dined on 15/10/2014It wasn't just the conservatory seating that made Clos Maggiore such a pleasant place to be: the service, the presentation and the general ambiance all contributed to the experience. We had an early curtain at the National Theatre and might have had time for dessert had we not been too full to want one. The foie gras terrine was especially memorable and the halibut was delicious as was the autumn soup. The Welsh lamb shank is not something we would order again because we tend not to like braised lamb. On another less rushed occasion we would order from the main menu because the lamb tends to be one of the three available choices on the lunch/theatre menu. We plan to go back with friends and more time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre dinnerDavidBDined on 14/10/2014The pre-theatre menu at Close Maggiore was excellent. There were 3 choices for each course - the vegetarian was excellent - and the service was prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful!StarloverDined on 13/10/2014Clos Maggiores is a beautiful restaurant, it is so romantic, with its pretty cosy setting but also has wonderful food and excellent service, we have eaten here on several ocassions and never once been disappointed. The set menus offer fantastic value for money in central London, and we enjoyed three courses and half a bottle of wine for under £30 per head! I have been with my husband, but also with my mum, and with friends, all of whom said it was really special. Its my favourite place to eat in London and we have been to some top restaurants, including Petrus, Quaglinos, etc. This one tops them all.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience 10/10ChrisDined on 12/10/2014Everything about this restaurant was great, the pre communications were efficient, the polite e-mails and telephone calls. We arrived 10 minutes before our booking time, great friendly reception - had asked for a table in the conservatory, and whilst we were seated in the centre of the conservatory, all the tables looked good - we'd not have been disappointed with other tables. Very attentive yet not in your face service from very knowledgeable waiters. The service was impeccable throughout, never a dry glass, not too short a gap between courses, never felt rushed. As to the food, a gastronomic delight, top notch produce cooked very well - certainly the best meal we have had in London, one of the top 3 in the UK for us. We'll be back !Special Features:
- hsiantinDined on 12/10/2014the taste and flavour of food, pork and fish, is very good, however a little bit too salty to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, amazing, amazingDinedAndWinedDined on 11/10/2014My boyfriend and I went to Clos Maggiore for a special date last Saturday. It was just what we needed, and some more. A romantic setting with the stunning flower-filled courtyard, soft music, impeccable service and perfect French food - portions were even bigger than we expected. A magical night, overall. Five stars!Special Features:
- Magically AmazingOuzekiDined on 11/10/2014Its a very Romantically Decorated restaurant. The service was excellent, the recommendation of food and wines are perfect. By Far the best meal and fine dining we have had in london during our stay.Special Features:
- Great placeAliciaDined on 10/10/2014We went for a romantic dinner and we loved it. The space itself is beautifully decorated and appealing, the food is excellent and the service very good. We would really recommend it for a special occasion, anniversary...etc. Overall, one of the best dinning experiences in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday LunchhoggyDined on 10/10/2014Lovely food, surroundings and great value as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Always a great mealFrancesFDined on 10/10/2014We have been to Clos Maggiore on so many occasions and have always had an excellent meal. We have taken friends and relatives of different ages and they have all agree that this is a very special restaurant. Always a different menu and the service is friendly, attentive and never 'over the top'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most romantic restaurant in London246poppiesatlondontowerDined on 8/10/2014Clos Maggiore is our favourite restaurant in Europe, it is intimate, beautifully decorated with almond trees, mirrored reflections give it depth and enhance the beautiful surroundings, the almost invisible waiters attend to every wish, with food and wine so mouth-wateringly delicious it is sad when it is time to leave. Out of all the restaurants in Covent Garden the taxi dropped us right on the door step, an achievement in itself. We cannot wait until we are in London next year and we know that we have to book at least two months in advance to get a table. My choice was terrine of partridge followed by Venison, medium rare, from the Queen's deer park my husbands choice was beautifully tender pork. An experience to relish.Special Features:
- An absolute must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Just had to experience the 'most romantic restaurant in London' for pre theatre dinner and so pleased we were able to secure a table. Staff were very attentive without being intrusive and the food was incredible; dare I say 'simple food' but done brilliantly, the flavours were just mouth watering! I would definitely recommend Clos Maggiore as a must do, we will definitely be returning. The only small disappointment was that we weren't in 'blossom filled conservatory' but on asking, apparently that area gets booked up 2 months in advance, and we had booked just 10 days prior. It certainly didn't affect the atmosphere and wonderful dining experience but thought I'd make you aware.Special Features:
- Great Prix FixeCollyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Once again excellent food, a great value meal, the fixed price with wine is one of the best deals in London, you can understand why it is so busy.Special Features:
- Clos MaggioriWYSYDGVIPDined on 7/10/2014Another enjoyable business lunch, service, food, wine & ambience spot on. Prix Fixe menu also great value Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- very romantic place amazing foodDavidDined on 5/10/2014we went for our anniversary the ambience is very romantic. the food is amazing above all the pasta with wild mushroom with truffleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2014This was booked for a birthday celebration and I have to say that from start to finish it was a a truly romantic experience. There was nothing that we did not enjoy. We felt that the attention given by all members of staff was excellent. The waiters etc were there but not there if you can understand that. My husband and I will certainly be returning to Clos Maggiore for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMrsHDined on 4/10/2014We loved our evening at clos maggiore. The food was incredible, the wine was perfectly selected for us, the staff were so friendly and went out of their way to make it a perfect evening. The only thing that was in any way less than perfect was our table not being in the beautiful conservatory area, but this is really a very small detail. We would definitely return and will do very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014Consistently high quality food, service and value. Best restaurant by far for pre-theatre in Covent Garden area. Made to feel very welcome from reception.Special Features: