33 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.closmaggiore.com/
- Phone: 02073799696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00PM - 10.45pm
Sunday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Kindly note that we try to accommodate all requests for seating in the conservatory; however this is always done on a first come first served basis and therefore it may not always be possible to accommodate all requests.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French
- Executive Chef: Marcellin Marc
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Clos Maggiore
Clos Maggiore is an oasis of calm in the heart of Covent Garden. Influenced by the stylish country inns of Provence and Tuscany its unique interiors create a warmth and intimacy enjoyed by both business and private parties. The conservatory has a fully retractable glass roof creating a bright and airy dining space, particularly lovely during the Spring and Summer seasons. It is transformed at night by candles, starlight and a crackling fire during the Winter months. Head Chef Marcellin Marc cooks sublime Provençal inspired cuisine with contemporary panache. Marcellin is committed to using locally sourced seasonal ingredients to create perfectly balanced menus which were awarded three AA-rosettes since 2008. Our extensive cellar at Clos Maggiore includes over 2,000 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low – mid price range. We are very proud to have been awarded the “Best of Award of Excellence” consistently since 2003 by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Clos Maggiore - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Clos Maggiore reviews from OpenTable diners
1572 reviews since 20 May 2014
special occasions (1183)romance (1181)pre/post theatre (742)fit for foodies (653)outstanding value (292)business meals (292)sunday lunch (193)good vegetarian options (164)group bookings (69)afternoon tea (40)brunch (34)outdoor eating (27)child friendly (9)disabled access (6)Show More
- Wonderful eveningMHSKDined on 15/9/2014Absolutely wonderful evening for our anniversary at Clos Maggiore. The conservatory is stunning, the food was delicious and the service was lovely. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Excellent in every way.xxfoodiexxDined on 14/9/2014Creative dishes with delicious flavour combinations. Good portion sizes and menu options. Beautiful restaurant with great service...faultless!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable foodDiegoVIPDined on 14/9/2014The possibility to try fine wines by the glass is definitely a plusSpecial Features:
- OverratedfoodiejanDined on 13/9/2014Although the service in general was very good, the food didn't live up to expectations. We was very excited about the thought of eating wagyu beef but was disappointed by the extra flavouring which spoilt the taste of the beef. Also for the price of the wine we expected better.Special Features:
- I felt dupedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/9/2014After booking a month prior to our visit, I requested a table in the conservatory. They could not guarantee a table there, but they would try their best. This is fine, and I knew there was a chance that we might not be seated there.The problem arises when I contact the restaurant 3 times prior to our visit to ensure seating, and I was led to believe that there was a fair chance of seating in the conservatory. We were seated next to the entrance, and the noise from kitchen//bar was awful. The table was so close to all arriving guests- only way to sell this table is to dupe people into believing that they will be in the conservatory. The food was mediocre and boring. I saw three parties reacting the same way as us. Total Tripadvisor hype!Special Features:
- Very, very impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014I booked this for a pre theatre birthday dinner. I read reviews and this scored well. We were so impressed. Attention to detail. Incredible wine list If you're a connoseier. Excellent menu beautifully executed. This is now our favourite restaurant. Thank you all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favourite place to eatjamesfrancoisDined on 13/9/2014This is the second time I have been to Clos Maggiore. We booked about a week before for saturday lunch at 12 (when they openned) This meant that we had the best seat in the house. I would preferably book a few of months in advance next time so we can have the seats and the dinner menu. The lunch menu was restricted to only a few availble meals yet the bill was as expensive as the dinner menu. However the service was still perfect and the whole dining experience was top class. My parents have now booked to visit in the future and I could not recommend enough!Special Features:
- BeautifulLizoDined on 12/9/2014Very romantic environment, perfect for special occasions.Special Features:
- Clos MaggioriWYSYDGVIPDined on 11/9/2014A great restaurant for a pre show meal on every count For my partner & I it's (as always) as good as it getsSpecial Features:
- PA lunchEvieGDined on 11/9/2014Serene venue. Welcoming staff. Crisp napkins and tablecloths. Delicious food. They very kindly catered for my Coeliac gluten free diet. Could not have asked for more.Special Features:
- Perfect PreTheatre MealTreacleDined on 10/9/2014A warm welcome, friendly service and fabulous food await those looking for a quick but special pretheatre meal. Really worth a try. I would like to go back for a longer leisurely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GravyDined on 9/9/2014I booked to entertain a Taiwanese family of friends (business as well). Excellent meal, good service, but having been here before I already knew that. say no more.Special Features:
- Great lunchxoxoDined on 7/9/2014My fiancee and I had lunch here on Sunday afternoon and it was such a wonderful experience. The food was excellent, the service unobtrusive, and the atmosphere just perfect. We were well looked after and we will come back again for sure.Special Features:
- fantastic experienceSanSansCafeDined on 6/9/2014Came here for my birthday and the whole experience from our arrival, to the service, the food, the wines and atmosphere were all beyond what I expected. I look forward to coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DomenicoDined on 5/9/2014Excellent French food in a cosy and warm atmosphere. Service compares to food quality. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014We popped in for a 2 course meal pre theatre, but wish we had stayed longer! The food was excellent and service was friendly and efficient. We will definitely go back and make an evening of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocopopsDined on 5/9/2014Worth booking early to request a table in the conservatory to make the event special.Special Features:
- CLOS MAGGIOREKenickiDined on 5/9/2014I booked this restaurant at a friends' recommendation. I was NOT disappointed. It was my husband's birthday and they made it a very special afternoon! The food was delicious, and the service was amazing! We sat in the conservatory which made it even more special. However I would recommend that you ask for a table round the side, as we sat in the centre and felt very slightly "on display" and the table was a little large for two people. The set menu was outstanding value for money, as it included half a bottle of wine each. My husbands' sweet was accompanied by a candle which was a very nice touch. The tea and coffee were served with absolutely delicious tasting petits fours. Overall it was a very pleasurable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food & service as alwaysjamieDined on 4/9/2014Love this restaurant - one of my favourites in london. Everything about it is exquisite.Special Features:
- Great location, food and serviceRJH82Dined on 4/9/2014Clos Maggiore is perhaps best know for it's ambience, but it really is everything you would look for from a restaurant. I have visited twice and on both occasions the food has looked and tasted fantastically. The service is the best I have experienced, with very knowledgeable staff who will tell you exactly what's in each dish and really help to make it feel like a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply disappointingGilma05Dined on 3/9/2014Arrival was more like joining a rugby scrum than fine dining. Entrance blocked with irate diners awaiting tables. We were shown to ours seated away from the restaurant past foyer adjacent to bar. Given my anticipation & careful booking advice on-line+verbal confirmation 'It is my daughter's 21st - pls ensure a good table...' It was a complete let-down. Complained to the hostess who said 'Sir for those tables people book months in advance...' Clearly B/S, our seating area held no more than 10 so chances other tables booked in May nonsense. The waiting staff were brilliant, food outstanding and wine list exceptional. WHY did they motivate a damning review by not respecting a daughter's 21st Birthday dinner is a once in a lifetime event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre Theatre Birthday MealClionaDined on 3/9/2014I brought my friend to Clos Maggiore for a pre-theatre birthday meal. It was a fantastic evening, the staff couldn't have been lovelier and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely.UncouthyouthDined on 2/9/2014This restaurant is the nuts. Go for the food, stay for the swarthy waiter....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJadrDined on 2/9/2014Our table was in the small room upstairs and it was like eating in a church. Absolutely no ambience and half way through the meal they lit the fire - unbelievable - the temperature had been circa 22 degrees on the day. The food was, however, quite good but spoilt completely by the setting. As we left we looked in to the main restaurant downstairs and that looked a lot more vibrant but that was not our experience for sure. We felt and still feel more than a little bit cheated seeing as nothing was said to us when we booked about having to eat in the "chapel". if you do want to choose the restaurant I would urge you to insist on a table downstairs. We went to Quilon the next day and for not much more the experience was amazing.
- ..................................bucktVIPDined on 2/9/2014As always excellent in every respect............................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!RosieRooDined on 1/9/2014Delightful food, wonderful service and the ambiance and setting are lovely, will be back on our next trip!Special Features:
- Amazing eveningaquataurusDined on 1/9/2014My collegues and I travel since 15 years once a year to a destination in Europe to celebrate also the important birthdays of the year. So we have broad range of restaurants all over Europe we have visited. We have decided, that this evening was one of the best and for sure the quality and the taste of food was the best ever. We thank the Team of Clos Maggiore for the amazing evening and for the Little surprise they made our "birthdaychildren".Special Features:
- Fabulous Clos Maggiore......Lemoney1Dined on 1/9/2014I never get bored with this restaurant. My mum has brought me here since i was a child, and now my children think its absolutely wonderful too! Fabulous food and great service and for us just perfect for every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sassicheDined on 1/9/2014amazing for dates and any kind of romance. one of my favourites in londonSpecial Features:
- FantasticJonnyredDined on 31/8/2014Great food, service superb and wonderful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patrick OverPaddyDined on 30/8/2014A very romantic and relaxing ambiance coupled with polite and professional staff. Although we may have preferred to sit in the conservatory area which looked lovely I cannot fault the service or the food. The only shock was the size of the wine list but that just added to the experience. Overall one of the best restaurants in London.Special Features:
- Fantastic pre-theatre dinnerkcigDined on 30/8/2014I booked a table for my partner and I to have pre-theatre dinner at Clos Maggiore. Though we did have to book about 2 months in advance, the restaurant honoured our request to be sat in the beautiful conservatory. The service was excellent, and the wine list was immense! The pre-theatre selections all looked so amazing that it was difficult to choose, and our food was delicious. I would highly recommend this for a special occasion or a romantic night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre theatre matineeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Very friendly staff, very relaxed. Good size portions, not too big or small. Turn around time was 1 hour 20Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerChrisDined on 29/8/2014We have been to Clos Maggiore years ago and we're impressed - I made a booking again recently and found the lady on the phone quite pretentious and abrupt. The overall ambience is beautiful, generally the food is okay but when compared to Roux at the Landau (which is our favourite restaurant with effortless service and sublime food worthy of micheline star ratings) I found Clos Maggiores lacking in service (staff felt to be pretentious and trying too hard). We are total foodies and have dined in so many amazing restaurants, I found the food at CM lacking something special which sets it apart...I would not go there again as I would rather spend the money at Roux at the Landau, or Hubiscus but I would recommend for romantic evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb !!SANDRIDined on 28/8/2014An incredibly romantic restaurant in the heart of london. We went to Clos Maggiore for our anniversary as it is a beautiful resturant, perfect for couples We had a table in the ‘conservatory’ which is beautifully romantic with flowers and fairy lights.The food was delicious,and the wine list is possibly the most extensive in London…in fact we had a really helpful sommerlier who helped us select a wine. We had Roasted Duck Foie Gras for starter which was amazing and after I had ' Duck’ for main course and my husband had the ‘ Welsh Lamb’ both superb. The meal was topped off by our dessert plates spelling out Happy Anniversary in chocolate sauce. Great atmosphere and service, will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great outside the conservatoryGlorDined on 27/8/2014I booked this table for an anniversary dinner, hoping to enjoy the ambiance Clos Maggoire appeared to be renouned for. I requested to sit in the conservatory in our booking reservation, however on arriving we learnt that our table was in the upstairs area, wedged in a corner. This was plain wood pannelled, and nowhere near as atmospheric as even an average restaurant. The serving staff were friendly and did their best to be accomodating. The food was decent, we tried the tasting menu which offered a good value for money, however the food was not quite the same standard as other modern european dineries, it could stand to improve. We were shown the conservatory and this would have offered a better experience. Book early (1mo+) to get this!Special Features:
- Clos MaggioriWYSYDGVIPDined on 27/8/2014We never get bored with this restaurant. It always hits the mark and for lunchtime the Prix Fixe menu is excellent value Will be returning soonSpecial Features:
- A place you should know aboutTimmyDined on 27/8/2014Excellent food and general atmosphere, a very good place to take someone you're hoping to impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Wedding AnniversaryJoelodeazDined on 26/8/2014While in London to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary we dined at this restaurant on our anniversary day. We are VERY happy that we did! The food and wine pairing were some of the best we have ever encountered. The service was right on point and we never felt like we needed anything, but at the same time we never felt crowded by the service. Looking forward to coming back to London and visiting this fine establishment.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceFoodjunkieDined on 26/8/2014Went here for my graduation dinner - wonderful experience! Food was good, service was quick and proper, everything was just in order. Can highly recommend it.Special Features: