Crab at Bournemouth
Bournemouth, BH2 5AJNeighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: £26 to £40
Crab at Bournemouth
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://crabatbournemouth.com/
- Phone: 01202203601
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00AM - 9:30AM; Saturday - Sunday: 8:00AM - 10:00AM,
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM; Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM; Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Dave Horridge
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Crab at Bournemouth
The Crab at Bournemouth is Dorset's finest, AA rated 2 rosette seafood restaurant. Situated directly opposite the Bournemouth International Centre and just moments from Bournemouth Pier. Restaurant guests can experience the finest in A La Carte dining. Chef David Horridge brings with him a passion for sourcing and preparing the freshest seafood and the finest local produce. Fresh fish and seafood from the country’s native shores in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are delivered on a daily basis with the aim to bring the best available seafood straight to your table. The brigade at the Crab is of an outstanding pedigree with many of the key staff having worked with Michelin-starred chefs. Their skills and experience combined makes for a truly unforgettable experience. The Crab at Bournemouth is the sister restaurant to the award winning Crab at Chieveley in Berkshire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Crab at Bournemouth - Best restaurants in Bournemouth ›
Crab at Bournemouth reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since 19 May 2014
special occasions (120)romance (96)fit for foodies (87)pre/post theatre (59)business meals (44)group bookings (22)sunday lunch (21)disabled access (19)outstanding value (19)good vegetarian options (11)outdoor eating (11)child friendly (10)brunch (8)afternoon tea (5)Show More
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Second visit to The Crab... Simply wonderful food ... Now our favourite restaurant in Bournemouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and service WOW!GoodgrubDined on 10/9/2014We had a pre concert meal and the food & the service was truly excellent. A Lovely Menu and all cooked to perfection The staff were all seemed foreign and from experience that,s why they were so very good. Nothing was too much trouble always polite very helpful and very attentive we cannot praise the staff at the Crab or the Park hotel enough. Thank you for making our stay so perfect :) If we go to Bournemouth again e will most definitely stay at the Park and we will also eat at the CrapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencedundunsVIPDined on 7/9/2014I took my Dad for a birthday lunch here on a Sunday. The service was friendly, but when we had been asked for the fourth time if we wanted to order any alcoholic drinks (my Dad doesn't drink) I was starting to get annoyed. This wasn't helped by the fact that my crab fish cakes were in fact salmon (no crab at all) and barely any salmon, mostly potato. Terrible. Luckily the main courses were both delicious, and quite different recipes which is refreshing in Bournemouth. The bread basket to start with was also different to your usual bland offerings and actually very good. The location is lovely, but it was very quiet when we went so no ambience. All in all not sure if I would try again!Special Features:
- DisappointingRubydog01Dined on 6/9/2014Having read previous reviews we were very much looking forward to our visit. However the service was very slow, we waited over half an hour to be asked for our drinks order and received the dessert menu when service had finished. The food did not meet our expectations, the scallops were gritty, the pork belly chewy and although we asked for the lemon sole to be filleted we had to send it back for it to be done. An experience not to be repeated.Special Features:
- Rod1Dined on 3/9/2014A lovely meal and great service in a good location in BournemouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Crab BournemouthEduardoDined on 31/8/2014I enjoyed Sunday lunch with my 53yr old son on the Sunday display day of the Bournemouth Air Festival. The food for both of us was memorable and the service on a packed Bournemouth day was excellent throughout. I have lunched at this restaurant on a number of occasions with different guests. The food always attracts high degrees of satisfaction and the politeness and quality of service is never less than one expects from a first class restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 30/8/2014We went to this restaurnat for dining and had a good meal the staff very attentive and the food was good and despite the restaurant being very business we were not rush and managed to have a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- Dependable classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/8/2014Good food and service on a busy evening. Great atmosphereI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!! Most impressedKevlarDined on 30/8/2014This is one of the best seafood meals I have ever had. The seafood platter to share to start and the posh fish and chips to follow. My wife had a dressed crab. Portion sizes were large and food was excellent. Attentive service from staff. Will be back.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerLarajaneDined on 23/8/2014We had a delightful early dinner before an event at the BIC. Both the A la Carte and set menu were available at this time so lots of choice. The 'Posh Fish and Chips' was outstanding, a delicious surprise not expected from the title. The special of dressed crab was wonderful. The attentive service from all the staff was excellent. The live piano playing was the icing on the cake. Can only recommend this restaurant, GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dessert ever!SarahCDined on 22/8/2014Had the half lobster which was gorgeous (although fairly small portion), but came with filling sides of potatoes and plenty of tasty veg. Left room for dessert and we couldn't choose as the menu was so good! (And I'm not normally a dessert person), so we opted for the dessert for 2, which is a taster of everything on the menu. The portion sizes were huge, but so delicious we polished them off easily. Great wine list too!Special Features:
- AnniversaryPaulkazDined on 21/8/2014Outstanding food , fantastic presentation ...................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Crab was Cracking!fabfoodieDined on 21/8/2014Booked The Crab restaurant for two main reasons. Firstly, we were going to watch a show at the BIC which is directly opposite the restaurant and secondly, we had read some great reviews. We were not disappointed. From our greeting on arrival to the great table and warm and friendly service. Staff made sure that our every need was catered for. The quality of the dishes we chose was sublime and the ambience in the restaurant was fantastic. One really nice touch was a piano playing in the background which really set the right mood for some fine dining. Overall a cracking evening and highly recommended.Special Features:
- AmazingEatingmeatDined on 20/8/2014We are here before watching Lee Evans at the BIC. The staff were very attentive, knowledgable and keen to please. The food was delicious and well presented. We really enjoyed our meal and will defiantly be coming here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreditcardcheckerDined on 19/8/2014After an excellent meal for the four of us we decided to split the bill in two. Fortuneately I checked the second credit card amount only to find the waiter had over charged by £130 so please check your amount before inserting your pin code.Special Features:
- A special occasionSteveJDined on 19/8/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We wanted this to be special and we were not disappointed. As the name suggests, fish is their forte... but there are great non-fish and veggie options too. If you are not sure what to order, try the 'Posh Fish & Chips' .... what a surprise! Loved it! We'll be back even though we live over 80 miles away!Special Features:
- Tasty dishes, great valuemrsHawksDined on 18/8/2014Set menu is great value and has plenty of choice. Good size portions. Would/will visit again *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at The Crab - ExcellentAdieGDined on 16/8/2014Booked online for Saturday night based on OpenTable reviews, as on holiday near Bournemouth. Extremely memorable evening throughout. Ambiance great with Piano man in full swing. Food was superb - scallops, oysters, monkfish, turbot all beautifully cooked and flavoursome. Special mention for the deserts which were immaculately presented as well. NB. It is in the £50+ a head category, but still cheaper than similar fish restaurants in London, and you do get what you pay for. I would certainly recommend this place for special occasions etc., and if I lived closer to Bournemouth I would be using this restaurant a lot more. Well done to all involved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SeafoodWhiteyDined on 16/8/2014We attended The Crab prior to seeing a show at the Pavillion, following a recommendation from friends. Service was great and outstanding value for money given the quality of seafood on offer. We would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish BonanzaFishloversDined on 16/8/2014My wife and I have enjoyed fish all our married lives, eating at The Crab at Bournemouth was a Great experience. The service the food was 1st class we will certainly be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent visitluv2dinespecialDined on 9/8/2014Fantastic food and fantastic service and surprised us with a lovely 30th anniversary plateSpecial Features:
- never againClaireBear88Dined on 9/8/2014awful!!! rushed, over priced- seafood platter could of been much better for the price really upset as a friend came down from manchester. very disspointed.Special Features:
- VickyDined on 6/8/2014I went there for a business dinner on a weekday, and it was very busy, yet the service was good. The starters and the mains were all delicious, and the desert was ok. It was a little bit dark for a business dinner, but I would think perfect for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- good food let down by serviceKewresidentDined on 4/8/2014We had a booking for 5 and ordered mains only. The menu looked very promising but the wait for food took over one hour (we weren't the only ones). They did bring a breadbasket with a very nice variety of bread but as two of us suffer from nut allergies we were told all the bread contained nuts.They did replace it with non- nut containing bread. When the mains were eventually served, they forgot one dish, the order was apparently not passed on to the kitchen. The 5th dish arrived after about 10 minutes with apologies and free of charge, as well as offering free deserts. The food itself was very good, but let down by poor service, despite the many waiting staff. This was a real shame as the restaurant has great potential.
- VFM?HungryhippoDined on 2/8/2014Dined for first time here on Saturday evening - place was busy, but there were enough staff to cover all tables - pianist added a lovely touch for a romantic meal. I know fish is an expensive option nowadays but I had the Turbot and Langoustine - very small piece of Turbot and 1 Langoustine !!!! - for just short of £25. fish was well cooked but good job we ordered extra beans and chips (extra £6.50 there !!) or I would have been hungry as don't really do desserts. Would I go back - maybe, if I could get a deal (which I know are out there and as I live locally can get there easily.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood at The CrabwattsyeatinoutDined on 2/8/2014I booked a table for two plus baby at short notice for a Saturday evening and turned up a little late. The staff were very friendly, accommodating and able to handle a large buggy with sleeping baby without a problem. Restaurant was full but not very noisy, it's a modern but classy looking decor with plenty of space and a bar/reception area. We realised it is attached to a hotel but understand this is only for breakfast. The menu looks great! Either a set 2/3 course for good price, or a la carte menu which is also reasonable. My wife went for lobster (it was her birthday!) with crab starter, while I went for sea bream main course. We love seafood and have had a varied experience when dining, but we both agreed the good was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014If you love seafood, you will not be disappointed. Outstanding menu, great service and our meal was cooked to perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!deneezeDined on 31/7/2014Planned to visit Bournemouth for a few days and found this restaurant online, and made a booking, as the online reviews were very good. We were right to take a chance and we had a thoroughly delightful evening at this restaurant, the food was fine dining and it was beautifully presented and tasted wonderful, we could not fault any of the three courses in any way. The service was attentive but not intrusive and, there was a piano being played throughout the evening, which made a pleasant change from the usual piped music or cd's playing. We will not hesitate to return to this restaurant on a future visit to this area but would strongly recommend you book a table, as on the evening we visited it was fully booked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/7/2014We were a party of three and were really looking forward to a fabulous Sunday afternoon lunch. We were on a one week hokiday from Lindon and specifically chose this venue for Sunday. Well, they forgot oue order and we waited over 1 hour for our food, despite the restaurant being virtually empty!!!! I ordered the Turbot and Languistine which was diabolical! Rhete was one very small OLD Languistine on top of a thumbnail of Turbot, which was also OLD albeit edible. The service was dreadful and the food terrible. What a disappointment. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS RESTAURANT. There are MUCH better restaurants in and aronud Bournemouth e.g LOCH FYNE, on the road to Sandbanks. Very reasonable for lunch and REAL seafood restaurant
- Excellent service!JosieJoDined on 26/7/2014Once again another fantastic meal at The Crab: foodie heaven, attentive friendly service, chilled atmosphere with talented pianist creating a wonderful ambience. Coming back soon!Special Features:
- ReviewLuv2dineDined on 26/7/2014We had meal here several time and quality of sea food is excellent. Very good choice of wines. Very convenient location as well as close to international centre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benjamin BattenVarnellDined on 22/7/2014Excellent venue for most things.We did not go back for for along time after it first opened, found it very expensive with no ambience. Have been many times this year since my sister-in-law said it was brilliant now, she was right!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and wonderful stafftrinaDined on 20/7/2014I booked this restaurant for my six months anniversary with my boyfriend. Unfortunately it was our first time in Bournemouth and we were a little lost, making us an hour late for our reservation. The staff were extremely accommodating and pleasant about it all! We both had the Sunday roast, I had the pork version and it was absolutely divine! I would highly recommend it to everyone, and it was less than £10 as well which was great value. This restaurant had a lovely romantic atmosphere at night, it was pleasantly full but also not too noisy. I would love to come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/7/2014Gorgeous food beautifully presented. Excellent and very reasonably priced wine list. We found it sad that so many people were still wearing beach shorts and tee shirts at 8 pm but the atmosphere was quiet, comfy and relaxed.Special Features:
- Loved this place!FanboDined on 19/7/2014Booked The Crab from home through the Internet as we were in Bournemouth for a long weekend break. It was to be a special treat as both of us love good seafood. The food we had was superb; beautiful moist, soft scallops and the lobster was fabulous - just perfectly cooked. Desserts are rich and sumptuous, a perfect compliment to the meal. Great choice of wines at various prices to accompany the meal, served in an efficient but friendly atmosphere - the ambience, laid back sophistication! The restaurant also has a rather lovely Yamaha Grand piano that pianist Dave obviously loves to play and the music was on a par with everything else, just wonderful. Thank you to all at The Crab for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb eveningOccasionalsDined on 19/7/2014We enjoyed a couple of extremely well cooked lemon sole with a light sauce. Desserts were interesting and nicely presented. Overall ambiance was buzzy but not too noisy. Staff were attentive making for a delightful evening. Thanks to the team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good meal.GreydusterDined on 17/7/2014I had the assiette of oyster for starters - well presented, especially liked the Bloody Mary ones. The bread came with butter, cream cheese and a mushroom pate all tasty and different. My main was the starter of poached crab and lobster which they doubled up to make a larger meal I also had the crab crushed Jersey Royals and they were delicious. I have to say this was one of the tastiest meals I have eaten. I don't eat out alot as I am often let down but I was pleasantly surpised. It was like eating a plate of food off master chef both in its presentation and taste. My friend had the same and was suitably impressed. All this was washed down with a reasonably priced bottle of Viognier. Not cheap but worth it as a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent meal sizesLocalResidentDined on 13/7/2014The Sunday roast was good, but the size of the sea bream meal was minute. I would say it was more of a snack. No vegetables were served with it. By splitting half the the vegetables from the roast plate we both ended up with a reasonable sized lunch but came away feeling disappointed with one of the choices made. The sea bream was I believe a more expensive option so why not offer a more balanced meal on the plate?Special Features:
- Overall a good placeLondonerDined on 12/7/2014I do think that Crab is the best sea food place in Bournemouth.Special Features:
- great foodhmmmVIPDined on 11/7/2014we don't know the area so would have never found this place and were delighted we did as the food and place was better that what you find on the beach. This is just a little up the road. The service was great. Food was fantastic, our oysters were delicious and so was my monkfish. Very original dish with curry. We had a great spanish wine and was not to expensive. On the night they had live music - pianist and was great background music. A great discovery.