Crab at Bournemouth
Bournemouth, BH2 5AJNeighbourhood:
SeafoodPrice: £26 to £40
Crab at Bournemouth
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://crabatbournemouth.com/
- Phone: 01202 203601
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00AM - 9:30AM; Saturday - Sunday: 8:00AM - 10:00AM,
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM; Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM; Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Dave Horridge
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Crab at Bournemouth
The Crab at Bournemouth is Dorset's finest, AA rated 2 rosette seafood restaurant. Situated directly opposite the Bournemouth International Centre and just moments from Bournemouth Pier. Restaurant guests can experience the finest in A La Carte dining. Chef David Horridge brings with him a passion for sourcing and preparing the freshest seafood and the finest local produce. Fresh fish and seafood from the country’s native shores in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are delivered on a daily basis with the aim to bring the best available seafood straight to your table. The brigade at the Crab is of an outstanding pedigree with many of the key staff having worked with Michelin-starred chefs. Their skills and experience combined makes for a truly unforgettable experience. The Crab at Bournemouth is the sister restaurant to the award winning Crab at Chieveley in Berkshire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Crab at Bournemouth - Best restaurants in Bournemouth ›
Crab at Bournemouth reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since 24 November 2013
special occasions (119)romance (94)fit for foodies (83)pre/post theatre (68)business meals (45)sunday lunch (23)outstanding value (20)disabled access (17)group bookings (16)good vegetarian options (10)outdoor eating (10)brunch (9)child friendly (9)afternoon tea (7)Show More
- DisappointedMicrosDined on 8/11/2014The food was average, we were expecting the menu to be more exciting. The service to start with was very fast but as they became more busy it became quite slow. Value for money was not great and we had to pat for parking. We would only return to this restaurant if we were visiting the BIC and wanted a quick meal.Special Features:
- A special placeMilanmarioDined on 8/11/2014Based in London but with family that lives in Bournemouth, therefore when I'm in town and able to get a table at the Crab, we love eating out there. Every single time I have been there and I've been a few times so far, the restaurant, service, ambiance, staff, food, and the surroundings are just fantastic! By far, my favourite restaurant in Bournemouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mbint1Dined on 5/11/2014Had lunch here for my daughters graduation, was so glad I booked as very busy, but the service was spot on no waiting time and the food was great. such good value too, anyone loving fish should try this great restaurant. 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantjsp20Dined on 2/11/2014We always eat at 'The Crab' when we come to Bournemouth. The staff are friendly and welcoming & nothing is too much trouble. The food is first class. They always give you a variety of freshly baked breads & dips as an apetiser and the food is cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentfishformeDined on 1/11/2014If you like sea food this is the restaurant for you. Big choice, excellent service, good price. A really enjoyable evening meal. Excellent location if going to the theatre afterwardsSpecial Features:
- The crabcatlady22Dined on 1/11/2014Dinner very enjoyable before the john bishop show. However breakfast the following day was a let down totallySpecial Features:
- Random selection from Google - highly recommendedTeeniesDined on 31/10/2014Excellent menu and range of fresh seafood. The menu is one of the most extensive I've seen in a UK restaurant, staff were very attentive and the ambience good.ps try the 1812 cocktail bar before eating : 'happy hour' finishes at 7pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodtimetoeatDined on 31/10/2014Went to the Crab pre-theatre at the BIC, ideal position as it is literally across the road. Amazing food, very reasonable, friendly & efficient staff. Will most definitely returnSpecial Features:
- superb dining experiencesando40Dined on 31/10/2014Reserved an early table for pre-show dinner. Previously noticed on the website that the set menu allowed you to dine in good time for any show. Upon arrival was quickly greeted and shown to our table. The service from all the waiting staff was exceptional and timely. The set menu is unbelievably good value. The ambience was lovely and although you felt you were in a restaurant of some distinction the atmosphere was lively. Food superb, staff first class and restaurant setting was beautiful. My wife and I both agreed that this is a definite destination for our next stop over in BournemouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre show at the BICFerndownterryDined on 30/10/2014We were held up in traffic and our 20 minute journey took 80 instead. We phoned ahead and they kept our table for our arrival 25 minutes late. Food was good, service was good, value was okay. £52 odd for 2 mains, one dessert and a beer. They don't add service so we left cash. It's so handy if your going to see a show at the BIC, literally across the road. I've been once before and service was iffy and we had to rush the staff to get our bill. This time it was much improved and I'd recommend anyone to go there if they're going to serve a show.Special Features:
- MasterchefPlodderDined on 30/10/2014Booked this restaurant as it is opposite the BIC. Great place for a pre theatre dinner. Although expensive we has a great 3 course meal. You get what you pay for and we enjoyed what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/10/2014We were delighted with both the meal and the cheerful service. It was also so near to the BIC. I have already recommended Crab to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully presentedjillgeeDined on 29/10/20142 of us shared a sea food platter before going to the theatre. It was explained that it was really a starter but we felt this would be adequate for us which it was. My only comment would be that after being received at the door and shown to our table, we had to keep our coats with us and hang over back of chair. As it had been raining this was not good. We noticed other people the same and also some with large amounts of shopping bags which were round their feet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/10/2014We had a wonderful meal here on a Friday evening and chose from the very reasonable set menu which was delicious! The waiter recommended us a bottle of wine and this was also really nice and complimented the dishes we had well. Overall a wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posh fish and chipsHorses1943Dined on 24/10/2014I had the posh fish and chips 6 months ago and it was really nice but had it again the other day It was not that good tasteless and cramed onto a horrible metal plate. Not good I'm afraid
- miketheguideDined on 22/10/2014Excellent seafood restaurant with options for other diners.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First anniversary dinnerbaldfoodieDined on 18/10/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant for our first anniversary. I only booked the day before after reading reviews on it, and it lived up to the postive comments. They had a few non seafood items on the menu but we stuck to oysters, scallops, lobster and the sea bream which was the days special. All cooked beautifully and served by very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Up to scratch on what ingredients were in the dishes and also gave alternative wine recommendations. Pianist over dinner was also a nice touch to set the mood of the place, which looked to be catering for couples, families and business dinners. Would definitely recommend and visit again. Thank you for keeping my wife happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningDellDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I had an excellent meal at the Crab. Service was very good and there was a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant created by soft lighting and a pianist playing in the background. We had a really lovely evening and would definitely go back againSpecial Features:
- Pre theatre mealAABillDined on 9/10/2014Superb as ever. Really good choice from menu and excellent flavours. Service friendly and attentive and would not hesitate to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good fish, great placeElkyDined on 5/10/20142nd visit to The Crab and very pleased both times. Service courteous and efficient, choice on menu great and mostly the prices are very good. "Posh" fish and chips possibly a bit overwhelming for some (my pregnant wife and my mother felt it was too much and overcooked). Overall great and will look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJanMDined on 27/9/2014The food at the Crab was fantastic - definately worth the price. The tastes were spot on, and setting was lovely, and the staff were friendly and attentive. I'd certainly recommend this as a place to eat to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealdorsetdolphinDined on 25/9/2014Very glad we had pre-booked as people were being turned away as early as 6:30pm on a Thursday evening. Service was very friendly and the food was lovely. Wine was expensive, but we ate from the set menu which was good value for money. Mostly fishy options on the menu (obviously!) but we had a delicious chicken breast each which was beautifully cooked. Starters and desserts slightly on the small side, but we would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazinglove2eatDined on 22/9/2014Me and my husband celebrated our anniversary here and it was perfect. All the staff were very nice and attentive. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- discountdissappointedDined on 21/9/2014Sorry to say but thought i will have a discount as i booked through open table but no discount was applied. How did this work? I want an answer? reply pls. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angels57Dined on 20/9/2014Having just been to the Bic theatre it was nice just to walk across the road to certainly one of the best Restaurants we have eaten in in Bournemouth. All round good quality, nice ambience piano being played added that romantic feel with candle lights also giving out that glad I am out and not stuck indoors Cannot wait for the next excursion into food heavenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TontoDined on 16/9/2014Enjoyed the experience of the crab. But found the atmosphere very unrelaxed and formal. The staff were attentive and the service was good. But I do object to paying for an extra bread when paying full price. Had I managed to book earlier I could have had an earlier table for 50% off with table pouncer.Special Features:
- I loved it BUT have mixed feelingsLovegoodfoodDined on 15/9/2014We were welcomed by a very friendly and helpful young man on arrival who bought our drinks and menu outside, it was a beautiful day and I would have liked to dine outside but there were no umbrellas and as the sun was shining directly onto the patio it made it too hot to sit without any shade.The food was great except - side orders were dumped on the table and we had to sort out what went with what ourselves - I ordered a crab and had to ask for the utensils I was given something to crack the crab they were useless and had to ask again for a hook - no finger bowl, the crab was not cracked enough when it was served and it turned out to be a stressful meal trying to eat the crab - BUT we will try again as we love the menu and open for lunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic food a seafood heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014We booked a table for four we all ordered a different main meal each one was as good as the next the posh fish and chips is amazing highly recommended we had a couple desserts very good. Great value for money amazing will be visiting again each time I'm down for visit and am telling everyone fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Second visit to The Crab... Simply wonderful food ... Now our favourite restaurant in Bournemouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and service WOW!GoodgrubDined on 10/9/2014We had a pre concert meal and the food & the service was truly excellent. A Lovely Menu and all cooked to perfection The staff were all seemed foreign and from experience that,s why they were so very good. Nothing was too much trouble always polite very helpful and very attentive we cannot praise the staff at the Crab or the Park hotel enough. Thank you for making our stay so perfect :) If we go to Bournemouth again e will most definitely stay at the Park and we will also eat at the CrapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencedundunsVIPDined on 7/9/2014I took my Dad for a birthday lunch here on a Sunday. The service was friendly, but when we had been asked for the fourth time if we wanted to order any alcoholic drinks (my Dad doesn't drink) I was starting to get annoyed. This wasn't helped by the fact that my crab fish cakes were in fact salmon (no crab at all) and barely any salmon, mostly potato. Terrible. Luckily the main courses were both delicious, and quite different recipes which is refreshing in Bournemouth. The bread basket to start with was also different to your usual bland offerings and actually very good. The location is lovely, but it was very quiet when we went so no ambience. All in all not sure if I would try again!Special Features:
- DisappointingRubydog01Dined on 6/9/2014Having read previous reviews we were very much looking forward to our visit. However the service was very slow, we waited over half an hour to be asked for our drinks order and received the dessert menu when service had finished. The food did not meet our expectations, the scallops were gritty, the pork belly chewy and although we asked for the lemon sole to be filleted we had to send it back for it to be done. An experience not to be repeated.Special Features:
- Rod1Dined on 3/9/2014A lovely meal and great service in a good location in BournemouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Crab BournemouthEduardoDined on 31/8/2014I enjoyed Sunday lunch with my 53yr old son on the Sunday display day of the Bournemouth Air Festival. The food for both of us was memorable and the service on a packed Bournemouth day was excellent throughout. I have lunched at this restaurant on a number of occasions with different guests. The food always attracts high degrees of satisfaction and the politeness and quality of service is never less than one expects from a first class restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 30/8/2014We went to this restaurnat for dining and had a good meal the staff very attentive and the food was good and despite the restaurant being very business we were not rush and managed to have a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- Dependable classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/8/2014Good food and service on a busy evening. Great atmosphereI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!! Most impressedKevlarDined on 30/8/2014This is one of the best seafood meals I have ever had. The seafood platter to share to start and the posh fish and chips to follow. My wife had a dressed crab. Portion sizes were large and food was excellent. Attentive service from staff. Will be back.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerLarajaneDined on 23/8/2014We had a delightful early dinner before an event at the BIC. Both the A la Carte and set menu were available at this time so lots of choice. The 'Posh Fish and Chips' was outstanding, a delicious surprise not expected from the title. The special of dressed crab was wonderful. The attentive service from all the staff was excellent. The live piano playing was the icing on the cake. Can only recommend this restaurant, GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dessert ever!SarahCDined on 22/8/2014Had the half lobster which was gorgeous (although fairly small portion), but came with filling sides of potatoes and plenty of tasty veg. Left room for dessert and we couldn't choose as the menu was so good! (And I'm not normally a dessert person), so we opted for the dessert for 2, which is a taster of everything on the menu. The portion sizes were huge, but so delicious we polished them off easily. Great wine list too!Special Features:
- AnniversaryPaulkazDined on 21/8/2014Outstanding food , fantastic presentation ...................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.