Crab at Bournemouth
Bournemouth, BH2 5AJNeighbourhood:
SeafoodPrice: £26 to £40
Crab at Bournemouth
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://crabatbournemouth.com/
- Phone: 01202203601
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00AM - 9:30AM; Saturday - Sunday: 8:00AM - 10:00AM,
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM; Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM; Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Dave Horridge
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Crab at Bournemouth
The Crab at Bournemouth is Dorset's finest, AA rated 2 rosette seafood restaurant. Situated directly opposite the Bournemouth International Centre and just moments from Bournemouth Pier. Restaurant guests can experience the finest in A La Carte dining. Chef David Horridge brings with him a passion for sourcing and preparing the freshest seafood and the finest local produce. Fresh fish and seafood from the country’s native shores in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are delivered on a daily basis with the aim to bring the best available seafood straight to your table. The brigade at the Crab is of an outstanding pedigree with many of the key staff having worked with Michelin-starred chefs. Their skills and experience combined makes for a truly unforgettable experience. The Crab at Bournemouth is the sister restaurant to the award winning Crab at Chieveley in Berkshire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Crab at Bournemouth - Best restaurants in Bournemouth ›
Crab at Bournemouth reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since 25 October 2013
special occasions (126)romance (97)fit for foodies (88)pre/post theatre (62)business meals (45)sunday lunch (23)outstanding value (20)group bookings (19)disabled access (16)child friendly (10)outdoor eating (10)brunch (9)good vegetarian options (9)afternoon tea (6)Show More
- miketheguideDined on 22/10/2014Excellent seafood restaurant with options for other diners.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First anniversary dinnerbaldfoodieDined on 18/10/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant for our first anniversary. I only booked the day before after reading reviews on it, and it lived up to the postive comments. They had a few non seafood items on the menu but we stuck to oysters, scallops, lobster and the sea bream which was the days special. All cooked beautifully and served by very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Up to scratch on what ingredients were in the dishes and also gave alternative wine recommendations. Pianist over dinner was also a nice touch to set the mood of the place, which looked to be catering for couples, families and business dinners. Would definitely recommend and visit again. Thank you for keeping my wife happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningDellDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I had an excellent meal at the Crab. Service was very good and there was a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant created by soft lighting and a pianist playing in the background. We had a really lovely evening and would definitely go back againSpecial Features:
- Pre theatre mealAABillDined on 9/10/2014Superb as ever. Really good choice from menu and excellent flavours. Service friendly and attentive and would not hesitate to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good fish, great placeElkyDined on 5/10/20142nd visit to The Crab and very pleased both times. Service courteous and efficient, choice on menu great and mostly the prices are very good. "Posh" fish and chips possibly a bit overwhelming for some (my pregnant wife and my mother felt it was too much and overcooked). Overall great and will look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJanMDined on 27/9/2014The food at the Crab was fantastic - definately worth the price. The tastes were spot on, and setting was lovely, and the staff were friendly and attentive. I'd certainly recommend this as a place to eat to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealdorsetdolphinDined on 25/9/2014Very glad we had pre-booked as people were being turned away as early as 6:30pm on a Thursday evening. Service was very friendly and the food was lovely. Wine was expensive, but we ate from the set menu which was good value for money. Mostly fishy options on the menu (obviously!) but we had a delicious chicken breast each which was beautifully cooked. Starters and desserts slightly on the small side, but we would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazinglove2eatDined on 22/9/2014Me and my husband celebrated our anniversary here and it was perfect. All the staff were very nice and attentive. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- discountdissappointedDined on 21/9/2014Sorry to say but thought i will have a discount as i booked through open table but no discount was applied. How did this work? I want an answer? reply pls. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angels57Dined on 20/9/2014Having just been to the Bic theatre it was nice just to walk across the road to certainly one of the best Restaurants we have eaten in in Bournemouth. All round good quality, nice ambience piano being played added that romantic feel with candle lights also giving out that glad I am out and not stuck indoors Cannot wait for the next excursion into food heavenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TontoDined on 16/9/2014Enjoyed the experience of the crab. But found the atmosphere very unrelaxed and formal. The staff were attentive and the service was good. But I do object to paying for an extra bread when paying full price. Had I managed to book earlier I could have had an earlier table for 50% off with table pouncer.Special Features:
- I loved it BUT have mixed feelingsLovegoodfoodDined on 15/9/2014We were welcomed by a very friendly and helpful young man on arrival who bought our drinks and menu outside, it was a beautiful day and I would have liked to dine outside but there were no umbrellas and as the sun was shining directly onto the patio it made it too hot to sit without any shade.The food was great except - side orders were dumped on the table and we had to sort out what went with what ourselves - I ordered a crab and had to ask for the utensils I was given something to crack the crab they were useless and had to ask again for a hook - no finger bowl, the crab was not cracked enough when it was served and it turned out to be a stressful meal trying to eat the crab - BUT we will try again as we love the menu and open for lunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic food a seafood heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014We booked a table for four we all ordered a different main meal each one was as good as the next the posh fish and chips is amazing highly recommended we had a couple desserts very good. Great value for money amazing will be visiting again each time I'm down for visit and am telling everyone fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Second visit to The Crab... Simply wonderful food ... Now our favourite restaurant in Bournemouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and service WOW!GoodgrubDined on 10/9/2014We had a pre concert meal and the food & the service was truly excellent. A Lovely Menu and all cooked to perfection The staff were all seemed foreign and from experience that,s why they were so very good. Nothing was too much trouble always polite very helpful and very attentive we cannot praise the staff at the Crab or the Park hotel enough. Thank you for making our stay so perfect :) If we go to Bournemouth again e will most definitely stay at the Park and we will also eat at the CrapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencedundunsVIPDined on 7/9/2014I took my Dad for a birthday lunch here on a Sunday. The service was friendly, but when we had been asked for the fourth time if we wanted to order any alcoholic drinks (my Dad doesn't drink) I was starting to get annoyed. This wasn't helped by the fact that my crab fish cakes were in fact salmon (no crab at all) and barely any salmon, mostly potato. Terrible. Luckily the main courses were both delicious, and quite different recipes which is refreshing in Bournemouth. The bread basket to start with was also different to your usual bland offerings and actually very good. The location is lovely, but it was very quiet when we went so no ambience. All in all not sure if I would try again!Special Features:
- DisappointingRubydog01Dined on 6/9/2014Having read previous reviews we were very much looking forward to our visit. However the service was very slow, we waited over half an hour to be asked for our drinks order and received the dessert menu when service had finished. The food did not meet our expectations, the scallops were gritty, the pork belly chewy and although we asked for the lemon sole to be filleted we had to send it back for it to be done. An experience not to be repeated.Special Features:
- Rod1Dined on 3/9/2014A lovely meal and great service in a good location in BournemouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Crab BournemouthEduardoDined on 31/8/2014I enjoyed Sunday lunch with my 53yr old son on the Sunday display day of the Bournemouth Air Festival. The food for both of us was memorable and the service on a packed Bournemouth day was excellent throughout. I have lunched at this restaurant on a number of occasions with different guests. The food always attracts high degrees of satisfaction and the politeness and quality of service is never less than one expects from a first class restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 30/8/2014We went to this restaurnat for dining and had a good meal the staff very attentive and the food was good and despite the restaurant being very business we were not rush and managed to have a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- Dependable classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/8/2014Good food and service on a busy evening. Great atmosphereI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!! Most impressedKevlarDined on 30/8/2014This is one of the best seafood meals I have ever had. The seafood platter to share to start and the posh fish and chips to follow. My wife had a dressed crab. Portion sizes were large and food was excellent. Attentive service from staff. Will be back.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerLarajaneDined on 23/8/2014We had a delightful early dinner before an event at the BIC. Both the A la Carte and set menu were available at this time so lots of choice. The 'Posh Fish and Chips' was outstanding, a delicious surprise not expected from the title. The special of dressed crab was wonderful. The attentive service from all the staff was excellent. The live piano playing was the icing on the cake. Can only recommend this restaurant, GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dessert ever!SarahCDined on 22/8/2014Had the half lobster which was gorgeous (although fairly small portion), but came with filling sides of potatoes and plenty of tasty veg. Left room for dessert and we couldn't choose as the menu was so good! (And I'm not normally a dessert person), so we opted for the dessert for 2, which is a taster of everything on the menu. The portion sizes were huge, but so delicious we polished them off easily. Great wine list too!Special Features:
- AnniversaryPaulkazDined on 21/8/2014Outstanding food , fantastic presentation ...................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Crab was Cracking!fabfoodieDined on 21/8/2014Booked The Crab restaurant for two main reasons. Firstly, we were going to watch a show at the BIC which is directly opposite the restaurant and secondly, we had read some great reviews. We were not disappointed. From our greeting on arrival to the great table and warm and friendly service. Staff made sure that our every need was catered for. The quality of the dishes we chose was sublime and the ambience in the restaurant was fantastic. One really nice touch was a piano playing in the background which really set the right mood for some fine dining. Overall a cracking evening and highly recommended.Special Features:
- AmazingEatingmeatDined on 20/8/2014We are here before watching Lee Evans at the BIC. The staff were very attentive, knowledgable and keen to please. The food was delicious and well presented. We really enjoyed our meal and will defiantly be coming here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreditcardcheckerDined on 19/8/2014After an excellent meal for the four of us we decided to split the bill in two. Fortuneately I checked the second credit card amount only to find the waiter had over charged by £130 so please check your amount before inserting your pin code.Special Features:
- A special occasionSteveJDined on 19/8/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We wanted this to be special and we were not disappointed. As the name suggests, fish is their forte... but there are great non-fish and veggie options too. If you are not sure what to order, try the 'Posh Fish & Chips' .... what a surprise! Loved it! We'll be back even though we live over 80 miles away!Special Features:
- Tasty dishes, great valuemrsHawksDined on 18/8/2014Set menu is great value and has plenty of choice. Good size portions. Would/will visit again *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at The Crab - ExcellentAdieGDined on 16/8/2014Booked online for Saturday night based on OpenTable reviews, as on holiday near Bournemouth. Extremely memorable evening throughout. Ambiance great with Piano man in full swing. Food was superb - scallops, oysters, monkfish, turbot all beautifully cooked and flavoursome. Special mention for the deserts which were immaculately presented as well. NB. It is in the £50+ a head category, but still cheaper than similar fish restaurants in London, and you do get what you pay for. I would certainly recommend this place for special occasions etc., and if I lived closer to Bournemouth I would be using this restaurant a lot more. Well done to all involved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SeafoodWhiteyDined on 16/8/2014We attended The Crab prior to seeing a show at the Pavillion, following a recommendation from friends. Service was great and outstanding value for money given the quality of seafood on offer. We would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish BonanzaFishloversDined on 16/8/2014My wife and I have enjoyed fish all our married lives, eating at The Crab at Bournemouth was a Great experience. The service the food was 1st class we will certainly be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent visitluv2dinespecialDined on 9/8/2014Fantastic food and fantastic service and surprised us with a lovely 30th anniversary plateSpecial Features:
- never againClaireBear88Dined on 9/8/2014awful!!! rushed, over priced- seafood platter could of been much better for the price really upset as a friend came down from manchester. very disspointed.Special Features:
- VickyDined on 6/8/2014I went there for a business dinner on a weekday, and it was very busy, yet the service was good. The starters and the mains were all delicious, and the desert was ok. It was a little bit dark for a business dinner, but I would think perfect for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- good food let down by serviceKewresidentDined on 4/8/2014We had a booking for 5 and ordered mains only. The menu looked very promising but the wait for food took over one hour (we weren't the only ones). They did bring a breadbasket with a very nice variety of bread but as two of us suffer from nut allergies we were told all the bread contained nuts.They did replace it with non- nut containing bread. When the mains were eventually served, they forgot one dish, the order was apparently not passed on to the kitchen. The 5th dish arrived after about 10 minutes with apologies and free of charge, as well as offering free deserts. The food itself was very good, but let down by poor service, despite the many waiting staff. This was a real shame as the restaurant has great potential.
- VFM?HungryhippoDined on 2/8/2014Dined for first time here on Saturday evening - place was busy, but there were enough staff to cover all tables - pianist added a lovely touch for a romantic meal. I know fish is an expensive option nowadays but I had the Turbot and Langoustine - very small piece of Turbot and 1 Langoustine !!!! - for just short of £25. fish was well cooked but good job we ordered extra beans and chips (extra £6.50 there !!) or I would have been hungry as don't really do desserts. Would I go back - maybe, if I could get a deal (which I know are out there and as I live locally can get there easily.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood at The CrabwattsyeatinoutDined on 2/8/2014I booked a table for two plus baby at short notice for a Saturday evening and turned up a little late. The staff were very friendly, accommodating and able to handle a large buggy with sleeping baby without a problem. Restaurant was full but not very noisy, it's a modern but classy looking decor with plenty of space and a bar/reception area. We realised it is attached to a hotel but understand this is only for breakfast. The menu looks great! Either a set 2/3 course for good price, or a la carte menu which is also reasonable. My wife went for lobster (it was her birthday!) with crab starter, while I went for sea bream main course. We love seafood and have had a varied experience when dining, but we both agreed the good was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014If you love seafood, you will not be disappointed. Outstanding menu, great service and our meal was cooked to perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.