8 West Street
Blandford, DT11 7AJNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.crownhotelblandford.co.uk/
- Phone: 01258456626
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7am - 9:30am
Breakfast: Saturday and Sunday: 8am - 10am
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 3pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Crown Hotel
One of the oldest inns in Dorset, this magnificent Georgian house is said to be haunted by a women in black and a cloaked highwayman who was shot dead in the courtyard. The beautifully panelled walls and carefully restored Oak floors make this the perfect place to explore the wonderful Georgian town of Blandford and the wider beauty of the Blackmore Vale. The Crown also boasts 32 en-suite bedrooms, conference and banqueting facilities for up to 180 people and a large car park.Continued
Unfortunately we are unable to accept online table bookings for our outdoor tables.
Unfortunately we are unable to accept online table bookings for our outdoor tables.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Crown Hotel - Best restaurants in Blandford Forum ›
Crown Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since 24 October 2013
special occasions (15)sunday lunch (12)outdoor eating (9)child friendly (8)group bookings (6)outstanding value (6)fit for foodies (6)business meals (5)brunch (5)romance (4)afternoon tea (4)good vegetarian options (3)disabled access (3)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- lovely eveningangrysheepDined on 26/9/2014Food was brilliant, order taken quickly and food didnt take long at all..was a nice dining area a bit more elegant then im used to but that wasnt reflected in the price which was very reasonable. .will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor!LunchersDined on 5/9/2014The request that we not be seated in the middle of the room was ignored and our reserved table was smack bang in the middle of the room! the two sirloin steaks we ordered were so thin as to be tasteless and badly cooked with the waitress either not knowing what we had ordered of just guessed! the whole atmosphere was that of a bad pub food experience with surrounding empty tables remaining uncleared for some time.
- Crown HotelzinzinDined on 9/8/2014Three of us enjoyed a very good dining experience.Excellent freshly cooked food and friendly service. Well-chosen wines - what more could we have wished for on a rather dismal day in Blandford. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingpastafaceDined on 4/8/2014Gorgeous building. Nicely decorated and very clean. Excellent service - waitress was polite and attentive (e.g. thought to offer me a finger bowl) but not intrusive. Lovely quiet atmosphere, separate from the pub area. Best bit was going on the walk as per the route recommended on their website taking in the old brewery and the water. Apparently the place is haunted but the ghosts did not impinge on our meal at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightSuChrisDined on 11/7/2014We have had several Friday evening meals here with friends and the food has always been outstanding. Beautifully cooked. Good portion sizes...and often wake up the following morning still tasting some delicious aspect of the meal. Staff are always polite and courteous- a thoroughly enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday lunchChesterDined on 29/6/2014Title says it all! A super meal for the three of us.Special Features:
- josfriendDined on 22/5/2014When we entered we were met by a very charming young Romanian, nothing was too much trouble, the food was excellent and service spot on When we commented on the food she informed us that it was cooked by her husband and they had only started that week having come from the Yachtsman in Hamworthy. Overall, we are looking forward to dining there again and trying to think of an excuse ( or perhaps we don't need one )Special Features:
- SuperDonaldFagenDined on 11/5/2014A relaxed and enjoyable Sunday lunch. Service great and the food was very enjoyable. Will be coming back in 3 weeks.Special Features:
- Not BadJungleeDined on 20/4/2014Friendly fast service in nice surroundings. The food was ok but could have been better... my partner's wasn't very warm, my meat was quite fatty and the chocolate fondont was more of a chocolate sponge cake with no gooey middle. On the plus side the rest of the food was very tastey and reasonably priced. I have previously eaton there before and found the food to be perfect so it must have been an off day, and it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fri nightDorsetpainterDined on 18/4/2014I know there was a function on, but if you have booked a table you expect a reasonable service. Waited 20 mins before we asked if we could have some drinks, then another 10 mins before we could attract someone's attention to order. The food in General was very nice, unfortunately one of our group had the mackerel pate that came out like a rock, and the Melba toast was oily and so hard he could barely bite it. One asked if there was vegetables with their main, the girl said yes, we said she did not sound convincing and heh presto no veg, asked for veg, they came in a glass Pyrex dish, which had obviously been in the microwave! REALLY...a Pyrex dish...shocking. Such a shame as a few things would make this a fantastic place to eat
- Good time.popsDined on 14/4/2014My wife and i had a lovely time at the crown hotel . the food was very good and all so the service from booking in to book out. The only think that we was not happy about is where our room was. It was at the front of the hotel and because of this it was very noisy from the street out side (car's and bus,s, Dlelvery vans at 6am in the morrning) and we was unable to get an sleep,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service but average food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Hard to judge the normal service. Due to staff shortages the food was very slow in being brought to our table. The food was not the high standard usually provided by the Crown hotel. The staff were pleasant but overstretched and could therefore only provide limited service with long delays between returning to our table. We will eat there again as we hope this is a rare lapse in its usual high standards.Special Features:
- Super meeting placeEnjoy2dineoutDined on 22/3/2014The bar and restaurant are welcoming and comfortable and ideal for meeting up with old friends. A very nice table had been reserved for us. Even though it was extremely busy as it was a Saturday the service was very good and the staff friendly. The food was excellent. Two friends had the venison pie and thoroughly enjoyed them. Another had the home-made burger which again was enjoyed and I had the veal escalope. Very nice. The presentation of all the dishes was excellent. Two had the rice pudding with clotted cream, another icecream and I had the sorbets. We finished off with coffees. The whole lunch was enjoyed by the four of us and we intend meeting up there again. An excellent carpark which is important too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placePaulDined on 12/1/2014We had a Sunday roast here and it was delicious. We went as a family with our 9 year old child and they were very accommodating. The meal was lovely and the service from all the staff was great.Special Features:
- Brilliant!ZigzagDined on 21/12/2013Wonderful every time. Great place to see friends or romantic meal for two. Child friendly and the staff can't do enough for you. Highly recommend. And I do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchcrustyrollsDined on 8/12/2013Very relaxing Sunday lunch, good menu, pleasant ambience and tasty food. Highly recommended. Extensive wine list and very drinkable beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchSweetieDined on 17/11/2013Pleasant, comfortable experience in traditional surroundings with good parking. Good menu choice, excellent lunch and friendly service. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch at The CrownHannahDined on 2/11/2013I have spent my last two birthdays at The Crown, having lunch with friends. It's one of the few places in Blandford, aside from restaurants, that is big enough to cater for large groups of diners, so perfect for a Sunday pub-style lunch. But it's also got the service and friendliness of a much smaller place. I spent all day here last weekend. I had coffee with my friend and baby - The Crown are very child-friendly - and then my other friends came to meet us for lunch at 1. We were busy chatting in the lounge and didn't go through for lunch until gone 2, but the staff were very accommodating and relaxed, event though it was busy. The food was delicious - a little more expensive than other places in town, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening, staff veryhappyeatersDined on 26/10/2013Lovely evening, staff very welcoming and very quick service for a group of seven. Thank you very much for a nice evening.Special Features:
- The following 19 reviews are from the Crown Hotel reviews archive.
- Basil Fawlty would be proudGlutenforpunishmentDined on 8/9/2013Sunday lunch. Small family group, 2 of whom are gluten intolerant. I mentioned this beforehand. They mentioned this beforehand. Absolutely no result. Although eventually the "chef" agreed to do roast beef with "red wine sauce" rather than floury gravy. It took two goes to order a 1 course roast lunch from 2 successive waitresses (the second appeared and simply said that something had "gone wrong" and could we please all order again) and when food appeared it was clear that the message (2 meals without gluten - just how difficult is that?) had still not got across. Oh, and they couldn't make me pint of shandy because of an electrical problem with the lemonade (sic). I would only eat here again if there was no other comedy on that night.
- Lovely evening excellent servicehappyeatersDined on 22/6/2013Lovely evening excellent service and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, very poor serviceOwenDined on 21/4/2013The food was fine. The service was very bad, not many people to serve but slow, careless and disinterested. One of those nights were the service is so bad it stops being annoying and starts becoming funny.
- Friendly place.NickywDined on 14/4/2013I really cannot praise the Crown Hotel enough ...the staff are welcoming and friendly they make you feel so at home as if it were home from home. The atmosphere is also something to comment on no rude staff to contend with as you put up with in other establishments, The food was excellent always presented well and was hot! This was perfect for a family meal and portion sizes are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NoshMrWriterDined on 27/2/2013Ate at the Crown Hotel one evening when we were visiting Dorset. The food was lovely and the menu was pleasantly different, not your usual run of the mill nosh! Good twists on some hearty meals. We love our food and were very impressed with the service too.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchLunchersDined on 3/2/2013Ask for more gravy before the waitress/waiter leaves your table!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseAshnickDined on 28/7/2012The Crown is one of those hotels that populate market towns such as Blandford: probably former coaching inns. This one is a real surprise. A busy, buzzy sort of place and in good condition. Good weather meant we could eat outside and watch the world go by. Lunch light bites were fine and service was quick and efficient.Special Features:
- Leaving dinner funnickybob84Dined on 3/7/2012We pre-rdered and were running a little late- no problem. Service with a smile and food served soon after we sat down. Food delicious! Only criticism is service was a bit slow at the end when we wanted the bill. But rest brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy customershappyeatersDined on 24/6/2012It was our first time eating in the restaurant.Excellent service, lovely settling, food was out of this world espeically the sharing platter. good value for money. would recommend to friends and family. Differently come again. New owners going a excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basd service and Ok meal yet againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/3/2012Our reservation was for Wednesday 28th March a lunch for my birthday, the service was very very poor one waitress and the restaurant manager a busy day, warm & sunny and a wedding we were told this a few times excuse me not my problem I am the customer more staff should have been employed, we were left unattended while the waitress and manager chatted at reception we had to go up and ask for some service. Food was good but when we asked for bread and butter we were only told that the bread basket (very expensive for toasted and plain bread £4.95) was available. I think the Crown need to employ more experienced waiting staff, this is our 2nd visit recently Ok but not brilliant.
- the Crown Hotel is a must.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/3/2012we were the only ones eating in the restaurant but it was a Tuesday which aren't usually busy so it was lovely and quiet. The food was fresh and really tasty and as I am a vegetarian I was impressed with the options I could choose from. My Husband who is a meat eater was really happy with his rib eye stake which was massive and at £18 was worth every penny. The service was great the waiter was always checking to see we had what we needed. the food came out quickly and we had both courses with in the hour. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for somewhere to go for a nice meal. I am going to suggest to my sister to have her 30th birthday meal here and i want to come back and try their lunch menu.Special Features:
- Lunch at Crownb Hotel 11/03/2012OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012We visited on Sunday 11th March, the starter was excellent but found the Roast quite dissapointing, we had 2 lamb 1 beef and 1 Pork, although very well presented and plenty of it we found the meat and vegetables quite luke warm, our guests were paying for our meal so a fuss was not made. We will be coming back again but not for Sunday roasts our next visit is on Wednesday 28th MarchSpecial Features:
- It was very quiet, my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2012It was very quiet, my wife and I were the only customers in the restaurant (although others were eating in the bar area)it was the Monday after New Years Day. The service was attentive without hovering. The food was lovely.Special Features:
- dissapointed to be left waitingpogdogDined on 27/11/2011dissapointed to be left waiting 5 - 10 minutes on arrival before anyone came to seat us, despite several staff seeing us. food was generally good but very pricy main issue was that the service was poor, there didn,t seem to be any front of house strategy and the waiter/s whilst pleasant were not very attentive or efficient, lacked professionalism the price should warrant.