39 Whitfield Street
London, W1T 2SFNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dabbous.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073231544x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Executive Chef: Ollie Dabbous
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please contact email@example.com or call direct on 0207 323 1544 to discuss your requirements.
A word from Dabbous
Stripped-down, relaxed fine-dining in the heart of Fitzrovia. Spread over two floors, Dabbous comprises a dining room and basement bar, both with an industrial but organic feel: exposed brickwork, sheet metal and copper pipes offset by candlelight and natural woods. The menu offers elegant yet restrained food, characterised by clean flavours and simple presentation. Dishes include: salad of fennel, lemon balm and pickled rose petals; barbecued Iberico pork with savoury acorn praline, turnip tops and homemade apple vinegar; and fig leaf icecream. In the basement bar you will find both classic and signature cocktails, such as the Dillusion: cucumber, elderflower and dill mixed with Bloom gin, ice and lemon. A limited selection of bar snacks is offered alongside the full restaurant menu. Tailored music playlists and table service also feature. All in all, a more modern and informal alternative to many of London"s fine dining restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerModern European
Dabbous - Best restaurants in Fitzrovia ›
Dabbous reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since 25 October 2013
fit for foodies (108)special occasions (72)business meals (48)romance (37)outstanding value (21)sunday lunch (13)good vegetarian options (12)brunch (11)group bookings (8)pre/post theatre (3)child friendly (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Simple but such a winner!jwthedinerDined on 22/10/2014Came here for lunch with my mom after my graduation! Presentation was perfect, and the food did not let me down. There was a casual feel to the place, probably due to the industrial-like design of the restaurant. Homemade toasted bread was served with butter - Mmm... I really enjoyed my starter of scallops and eucalyptus - it was refreshing and light on the palate. The acorn noodles were alright... My main was the veal cheek with the light cheese sauce - this was slightly salty due to the cheese sauce, but nevertheless very tender! Last but not least, the dessert was a fig and honey cake, served with a milky drink. I loved the milky drink! Cake was yummy as well. Service was pretty good. Will definitely return to try more dishes!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014was looking forward to this for while and had booked this August. The ambiance I really enjoyed, seemed pretty cool and gave a bit more excitement to the normal boring fine dining restaurants where people are conscious of how to act and how loud to speak. We were early and had the 'Drink with No Name' and The Basil Fawlty, both great cocktails and bar staff were friendly. Opted for the taster menu, food was good but did not blow me away. Service was very mechanical and pretty dull. I am glad we went, I enjoyed the food but, like the service staff, not so excited to crack a smile talking about itSpecial Features:
- Double booking disasterFoodsterDined on 17/10/2014Imagine my bewilderment and embarrassment when, after being told to wait 30 minutes for my pre-booked and pre-confirmed table in Dabbous basement bar, my guest and I were told OpenTable had double booked us and there was now no table available for our business lunch! We proceeded to eat in the basement on benches on our own and though the food was very good indeed and the staff apologetic and generous with some free dishes, can someone at OpenTable please let me know what on earth happened with my booking?Special Features:
- GHollandDined on 16/10/2014It was really good food but I think it was just the amount of hype you guys got when you opened made it hard to live up to the expectations. Good job though guys, keep up the good workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine FoodEatingintheworldstopspotsDined on 11/10/2014Dabbous certainly deserves its Michelin star and it cannot be long before they get another. Given the quality of the food it cannot be long before a slot in the annual Pelligrini awards comes to them. I've given 5 stars across the board, in addition I'd give their unique cocktail menu a 5 star rating too. Having a drink downstairs first is a good way to begin a lovely experience. Two of us ate at Dabbous on Saturday lunchtime (couldn't get a reservations in the evening) to celebrate my birthday and we were not disappointed. I am able to compare with all the other top restaurants in London as well as other top restaurants worldwide - Noma, Arzak etc, this place stacks up.Special Features:
- Super, imaginative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We had a great dining experience and will be going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food combinationsPrudlesDined on 7/10/2014A very entertaining experience. Delicious food. Unusual and unique combinations in the taster menu. The restaurant is small and intimate and decorated really well. Would seem like a more of an evening venue rather than somewhere during the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grub- stark venueShakinSwedensDined on 7/10/2014Lot's of people will love the stripped down look of Dabbous, but for my personal taste it was a little stark and I like eating fantastic, creative food like this in a more comfortable or vibrant setting. We went for the 4 course lunch- and were blown away by the Scallop starter and honey and fig cake. The duck broth acorn flour noodles were rich and delicious and the main courses were both extremely good, if slightly less out of the norm (Cod with Samphire and potted shrimp or Rose Veal Fillet with a cheese broth). Absolutely nothing negative to say at all about the food, and the service was not stiff but not warm either- smart casual would apply. A good lunch- not cheap but definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeQdogDined on 1/10/2014Have dined here before not too long after it opened - the soufflé and the chocolate mint dessert are the best dishes I have ever had even over 1* and 2* Michelin restaurants. Was not as good / innovative or inventive as then, perhaps suffering for lack of focus with Dabbous2 Somerset House on the cards. Was still great food for at a 20%+ inflated price cf then but suffered against expectations of being blown away (again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGrubsupDined on 1/10/2014I had looked forward to dining Dabbous. Sadly it did not live up to its hype. It felt unloved. It went through the motions but it felt bored. Bored with itself. The tasting menu was ok but there was not one dish that will stand out in the memory other than for the wrong reasons. The raw scallop was iced and tasteless. The noodle broth was nothing more than ok, the lamb was a little chewy, the fennel and octopus lacked seasoning and the quince was not ripe. The staff were friendly but they looked and felt like they had done this all before and would really rather go home now. Wine was good but overpriced. The final bill? Eye watering.Special Features:
- We remembered the food as morechrismwVIPDined on 27/9/2014interesting on our first visit shortly after it opened - and before the acclaim. As they say, set lunch, choice of lamb or cod, or tasting menu. I found the latter slightly unappealing so set it was. The lamb was pink but not quite properly trimmed and the cod barely cooked. Tasty, both, but not special. Dessert, which previously had been really good was on the dull side - a warm fig cake - no choice. Some reasonably priced bottles of wine though. We couldn't help thinking the success, fully deserved based on that first visit, had resulted in a production line limiting choice and interest. A bit like the Fat Duck which we found equally disappointing on a visit a couple of years ago. This kitchen is capable of much better. Must try harder.
- 1st Visit. Looking forward to nextChrisCDined on 27/9/2014Friendly attentive service. Excellent food and set price lunch is a real bargain. A long way to travel for lunch (Yorkshire & back in one day) but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yabba dabba Dabbous!!FoodpornDined on 26/9/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, we arrived early so took the opportunity to have a drink downstairs by the bar whilst our table was being made. The bar was dimly lit showing the premises in it's raw state. The restaurant was fairly small & basic but this gave somewhat of added character to the place.We decided on their set lunch which worked in our favour as we both ended up with almost everything listed on the tasting menu. The dishes were simple, innovative & full of flavour, the most loved dish of them all was the noodle soup in a duck broth! The service was excellent & staffs were very attentive.This restaurant suits all who are looking for something special in a casual setting without compromising on perfectly refined food!Special Features:
- Oh Wow….SecretAsianManDined on 25/9/2014I pose to my British foodie friend that were I to have one great meal in London, where should I go? Without hesitation he says, "Dabbous!" Indeed my meal lived up to high expectations and exceeded them! Each course was a marvel that outdid the previous one. The first course of raw scallop topped with Eucalyptus "snow" blew my mind. By the end of the course menu, I was mumbling to myself, lost in culinary rapture. For me, the mark of a good meal is leaving the restaurant suffused with a sense of well-being and that all is well with the world. Dabbous provided that in spades. The service was friendly and fantastic. They indulged my many questions about each course. I hope they know how much I appreciated my experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whew - exceptional again . . .billyVIPDined on 23/9/2014Well - to maintain this level of quality is truly remarkable, over a 2 years now. This is really a special place. The set lunch was wonderfully inventive. The scallops with eucalyptus starters, exquisite and finely balanced.
- Superb Food and ServiceWMBDDined on 16/9/2014The meal was superb. The ingredients and cooking were imaginative and light with a wine list to suit all tastes and pockets. We had the set lunch which was great value. The service was both friendly and professional. The restaurant is in minimalist style with a stone floor and wooden tables and no decoration. We rather liked it. Only (minor) issue is that tables are rather close together and it was a bit noisy at times. This is probably because it's a small place trying to accommodate a lot of covers. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill FastLondonDinerDined on 11/9/2014This was my third meal at Dabbous and will be my last. The service has been worse each time I've been in, and on this occasion was a perfect storm of incompetent, apathetic, and just bored. I'm generally not too fussed about service, but when a restaurant is meant to be of this calibre, there are certain expectations. Like that staff, including the floor manager, aren't leaning against the wall. Like that your plates aren't ripped away from you when barely finished your meal, only to sit without food for fifteen minutes. Like that when wine is being poured, a hefty portion won't end up down the side of the glass. Food, which is the most important thing of course, has been declining in quality as well. Nothing we were served was noteworthy.
- Perfect set lunchRC229Dined on 11/9/2014Great value set lunch, 4 delicious courses, and out in an hour - perfect for business lunchesSpecial Features:
- robroyDined on 9/9/20142nd time I realised how modest and basic the room is and doesnt really fit with the theatre of the food. The music also was inappropiate for the profile of diners. My wife on her first visit loved it but isnt an egg fan - a choice on every course would be appreciated. Staff are charming and attentive....more flowers plsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A man who likes his foodYouveGoneWrongDined on 5/9/2014I took my husband here for his birthday lunch. He's a development chef and a real fan of a clever, but simple menu. He's been wanting to go to Dabbous for a long time and I thought he finally deserved it. The restaurant is smaller than expected, but a nice size. Small enough to feel special and large enough to feel like you're sharing the experience with others. Service was charming. Attentive, but with room to breath. Food was absolutely delicious. Dishes felt tried and tested and confidently presented. Lovely touches like fresh warm bread served in a dated brown paper bag impressed. The wine which we were recommended was spot on. I'll be back. Especially so, as there's a nice bar downstairs that I didn't get to try.Special Features:
- Laid Back CreativityFloridaFoodieDined on 16/8/2014Dabbous offers a simple atmosphere, but inventive and delicious food. We were pleasantly surprised by the taste combinations and the progression of the tasting menu. Even the short lunch menu looked awesome. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchJanADined on 15/8/2014The tasting menu is a real treat & recommended by the staff as a showcase of the kitchen's talents. So true. The dishes are innovative and playful, e.g. a mint-pea soup that included a pea granita. The staff is competent and the meal was perfectly paced. Although the restaurant has many hard services (no noise damping strategies), my husband and I could easily carry on a conversation. This is a highly recommended dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing specialEatsoutallthetimeDined on 13/8/2014Went for the 4 course set lunch which was OK but nothing remarkable. Good quality ingredients cooked with skill but lacked any wow factor. Pea puree and granita - just a strong chilled taste of pea - would have preferred this warm. Tomatoes on toast - appeared like reduced tinned tomatoes. I thought I could taste the flour in the Bechamel base used in the coddled egg. Other courses equally unimpressive Small portions and on balance not great value for money. The decor is quite industrial and the clientele seemed like Ad agency Execs on business lunches. I really can't see what the hype is about.Special Features:
- OutstandingJofthejsDined on 9/8/2014Our hopes were high for our visit to Dabbou, but the experience exceeded the expectation. Service was relaxed and competent, but the food, oh the food! Intense flavours with a lightness of touch, unusual but delicious flavour combinations left us marvelling at the skill of the chef. Heaven. Also a fantastic wine list with extensive availability by the glass and half carafe. Very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh innovative foodEaterDined on 8/8/2014From the amazing drinks in the bar to the innovative food in the lunch menu and the interesting interior, we liked it all. Food are fairly small portions but very. Fresh and tasty, we certainly didn't go hungry with the smaller of the two lunch menus , I would definitely recommend. The bread and smoked butter was amazing too.Special Features:
- snowdropDined on 7/8/2014The three of us had an excellent lunch. Innovative cooking. Friendly service. Very good wine list .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/7/2014Dabbous is certainly over-rated. Based on my experience there, I'm surprised that the restaurant has stayed open for so long. The service by the staff is at time amateurish. The food was fair but not something to write about as certain dishes lacked substance.
- Superb lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 16/7/2014Our midday lunch prior to an evening opera was our finest meal during our 10 day holiday in France and the U.K. The food was brilliantly prepared, execution sharp as a tack, and flavors both harmonious yet at the same time startlingly original. The course of charred broccoli with a broken rapeseed emulsion (mayonnaise) will long linger in the memory, simplicity of the naming notwithstanding. Also, we loved the greeting, service and ambiance, with competence, rather than formality the preferred mode. Finally, it was lovely to have an especially interesting drink list among the potable possibilities; both of our drinks were delicious and original. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 16/7/2014Wow - I took some clients here (and my boss) for lunch, and we were utterly impressed. The food quality, flavors, and presentation were absolutely first class !! Well done Dabbous !!! We really enjoyed it !!!!!!!Special Features:
- Well deserved reputation for foodyauyau17Dined on 10/7/2014Had the set lunch here. The decor is slightly industrial which surprised. For 28£ you get 4 courses plus lovely mini Japanese peaches at the end, which is pretty good value. Service is friendly and good but the reason to eat here is for the food which did not disappoint. Started slow with slices of salmon that was nice but unmemorable. But the next three courses were amazing - chargrilled broccoli, cod brandade with pickled ginger and the vanilla cream with brioche were inventive with outstanding flavours. Portions were good and was very full after the meal. Definitely recommended and would love to come back for the tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonVIPDined on 10/7/2014Absolutely spot on. Every dish was uniques with amazing flavor, has turned into my favorite London restaurant!Special Features:
- Simple choices - all fabulousOzpossieDined on 9/7/2014Loved the notion of very small menu and very few choices - you just get to have it all. Great food, and £60 pp is great value in this league. Service wasn't bad, but not in the elite status, but thats fine as the food is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJGRIVIPDined on 9/7/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Dabbous. Each course on the tasting menu was exquisite. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words cannot describe ...SchubeeyDined on 8/7/2014but I will try: Dabbous is the only restaurant that's left me wanting MORE.Special Features:
- Thanks again!KLA1Dined on 25/6/2014A very long way to travel for lunch but worth every cent!! Our second visit in three years whilst holidaying from Australia. Marvellous food, impeccable service. Wish we could visit more frequently. Thanks again!!Special Features:
- ExcellentEpicurativeDined on 25/6/2014The bread was to die for, the starter of pea and mint was delicious and refreshing, the meats were excellent. 38GBP for a 4 course set lunch was a good deal and we left full and satisfied. The desserts are the weak point.Special Features:
- It was great!RibeiroDined on 24/6/2014We love the meal, the tasting menu and all the staff.Special Features:
- Really fabulousCBBBBVIPDined on 21/6/2014Loved all the dishes on the tasting menu - don't think you shoud go there unless you commit to the tasting menu otherwise you miss too much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surroundings at DabbousDaniellemzDined on 17/6/2014...went for a weekday lunch to Dabbous. It is a lovely place and the food is good. There is only the choice of a set-menu (£28) unfortunately, so if you are not willing to spend big on your lunch this is not for you. But if you do not care then this is a good place to go to and the variety of the set menu has something for everybody. Elegant staff and clean/trendy surroundings with very comfortable room climate. Perfect for business lunches and dinners.Special Features:
- DelicatemushypeasVIPDined on 17/6/2014Was there for my friend's birthday. Food was exceptional. I love the modern fitting so you can relax. Accommodate special request on allergy very well. Instead of the menu, they tailor-made something else for me due to allergy. The poached cod was amazing. I had better smoked salmon but still very good. Already made another booking to go back.Special Features: