39 Whitfield Street
London, W1T 2SFNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dabbous.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073231544x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Executive Chef: Ollie Dabbous
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call direct on 0207 323 1544 to discuss your requirements.
A word from Dabbous
Stripped-down, relaxed fine-dining in the heart of Fitzrovia. Spread over two floors, Dabbous comprises a dining room and basement bar, both with an industrial but organic feel: exposed brickwork, sheet metal and copper pipes offset by candlelight and natural woods. The menu offers elegant yet restrained food, characterised by clean flavours and simple presentation. Dishes include: salad of fennel, lemon balm and pickled rose petals; barbecued Iberico pork with savoury acorn praline, turnip tops and homemade apple vinegar; and fig leaf icecream. In the basement bar you will find both classic and signature cocktails, such as the Dillusion: cucumber, elderflower and dill mixed with Bloom gin, ice and lemon. A limited selection of bar snacks is offered alongside the full restaurant menu. Tailored music playlists and table service also feature. All in all, a more modern and informal alternative to many of London"s fine dining restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerModern European
Dabbous - Best restaurants in Fitzrovia ›
Dabbous reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since 22 May 2014
fit for foodies (97)special occasions (62)business meals (44)romance (30)outstanding value (21)sunday lunch (11)good vegetarian options (10)brunch (10)group bookings (7)pre/post theatre (4)child friendly (2)disabled access (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Superb Food and ServiceWMBDDined on 16/9/2014The meal was superb. The ingredients and cooking were imaginative and light with a wine list to suit all tastes and pockets. We had the set lunch which was great value. The service was both friendly and professional. The restaurant is in minimalist style with a stone floor and wooden tables and no decoration. We rather liked it. Only (minor) issue is that tables are rather close together and it was a bit noisy at times. This is probably because it's a small place trying to accommodate a lot of covers. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill FastLondonDinerDined on 11/9/2014This was my third meal at Dabbous and will be my last. The service has been worse each time I've been in, and on this occasion was a perfect storm of incompetent, apathetic, and just bored. I'm generally not too fussed about service, but when a restaurant is meant to be of this calibre, there are certain expectations. Like that staff, including the floor manager, aren't leaning against the wall. Like that your plates aren't ripped away from you when barely finished your meal, only to sit without food for fifteen minutes. Like that when wine is being poured, a hefty portion won't end up down the side of the glass. Food, which is the most important thing of course, has been declining in quality as well. Nothing we were served was noteworthy.
- Perfect set lunchRC229Dined on 11/9/2014Great value set lunch, 4 delicious courses, and out in an hour - perfect for business lunchesSpecial Features:
- robroyDined on 9/9/20142nd time I realised how modest and basic the room is and doesnt really fit with the theatre of the food. The music also was inappropiate for the profile of diners. My wife on her first visit loved it but isnt an egg fan - a choice on every course would be appreciated. Staff are charming and attentive....more flowers plsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A man who likes his foodYouveGoneWrongDined on 5/9/2014I took my husband here for his birthday lunch. He's a development chef and a real fan of a clever, but simple menu. He's been wanting to go to Dabbous for a long time and I thought he finally deserved it. The restaurant is smaller than expected, but a nice size. Small enough to feel special and large enough to feel like you're sharing the experience with others. Service was charming. Attentive, but with room to breath. Food was absolutely delicious. Dishes felt tried and tested and confidently presented. Lovely touches like fresh warm bread served in a dated brown paper bag impressed. The wine which we were recommended was spot on. I'll be back. Especially so, as there's a nice bar downstairs that I didn't get to try.Special Features:
- Laid Back CreativityFloridaFoodieDined on 16/8/2014Dabbous offers a simple atmosphere, but inventive and delicious food. We were pleasantly surprised by the taste combinations and the progression of the tasting menu. Even the short lunch menu looked awesome. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchJanADined on 15/8/2014The tasting menu is a real treat & recommended by the staff as a showcase of the kitchen's talents. So true. The dishes are innovative and playful, e.g. a mint-pea soup that included a pea granita. The staff is competent and the meal was perfectly paced. Although the restaurant has many hard services (no noise damping strategies), my husband and I could easily carry on a conversation. This is a highly recommended dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing specialEatsoutallthetimeDined on 13/8/2014Went for the 4 course set lunch which was OK but nothing remarkable. Good quality ingredients cooked with skill but lacked any wow factor. Pea puree and granita - just a strong chilled taste of pea - would have preferred this warm. Tomatoes on toast - appeared like reduced tinned tomatoes. I thought I could taste the flour in the Bechamel base used in the coddled egg. Other courses equally unimpressive Small portions and on balance not great value for money. The decor is quite industrial and the clientele seemed like Ad agency Execs on business lunches. I really can't see what the hype is about.Special Features:
- OutstandingJofthejsDined on 9/8/2014Our hopes were high for our visit to Dabbou, but the experience exceeded the expectation. Service was relaxed and competent, but the food, oh the food! Intense flavours with a lightness of touch, unusual but delicious flavour combinations left us marvelling at the skill of the chef. Heaven. Also a fantastic wine list with extensive availability by the glass and half carafe. Very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh innovative foodEaterDined on 8/8/2014From the amazing drinks in the bar to the innovative food in the lunch menu and the interesting interior, we liked it all. Food are fairly small portions but very. Fresh and tasty, we certainly didn't go hungry with the smaller of the two lunch menus , I would definitely recommend. The bread and smoked butter was amazing too.Special Features:
- snowdropDined on 7/8/2014The three of us had an excellent lunch. Innovative cooking. Friendly service. Very good wine list .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/7/2014Dabbous is certainly over-rated. Based on my experience there, I'm surprised that the restaurant has stayed open for so long. The service by the staff is at time amateurish. The food was fair but not something to write about as certain dishes lacked substance.
- Superb lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 16/7/2014Our midday lunch prior to an evening opera was our finest meal during our 10 day holiday in France and the U.K. The food was brilliantly prepared, execution sharp as a tack, and flavors both harmonious yet at the same time startlingly original. The course of charred broccoli with a broken rapeseed emulsion (mayonnaise) will long linger in the memory, simplicity of the naming notwithstanding. Also, we loved the greeting, service and ambiance, with competence, rather than formality the preferred mode. Finally, it was lovely to have an especially interesting drink list among the potable possibilities; both of our drinks were delicious and original. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 16/7/2014Wow - I took some clients here (and my boss) for lunch, and we were utterly impressed. The food quality, flavors, and presentation were absolutely first class !! Well done Dabbous !!! We really enjoyed it !!!!!!!Special Features:
- Well deserved reputation for foodyauyau17Dined on 10/7/2014Had the set lunch here. The decor is slightly industrial which surprised. For 28£ you get 4 courses plus lovely mini Japanese peaches at the end, which is pretty good value. Service is friendly and good but the reason to eat here is for the food which did not disappoint. Started slow with slices of salmon that was nice but unmemorable. But the next three courses were amazing - chargrilled broccoli, cod brandade with pickled ginger and the vanilla cream with brioche were inventive with outstanding flavours. Portions were good and was very full after the meal. Definitely recommended and would love to come back for the tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonVIPDined on 10/7/2014Absolutely spot on. Every dish was uniques with amazing flavor, has turned into my favorite London restaurant!Special Features:
- Simple choices - all fabulousOzpossieDined on 9/7/2014Loved the notion of very small menu and very few choices - you just get to have it all. Great food, and £60 pp is great value in this league. Service wasn't bad, but not in the elite status, but thats fine as the food is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJGRIVIPDined on 9/7/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Dabbous. Each course on the tasting menu was exquisite. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words cannot describe ...SchubeeyDined on 8/7/2014but I will try: Dabbous is the only restaurant that's left me wanting MORE.Special Features:
- Thanks again!KLA1Dined on 25/6/2014A very long way to travel for lunch but worth every cent!! Our second visit in three years whilst holidaying from Australia. Marvellous food, impeccable service. Wish we could visit more frequently. Thanks again!!Special Features:
- ExcellentEpicurativeDined on 25/6/2014The bread was to die for, the starter of pea and mint was delicious and refreshing, the meats were excellent. 38GBP for a 4 course set lunch was a good deal and we left full and satisfied. The desserts are the weak point.Special Features:
- It was great!RibeiroDined on 24/6/2014We love the meal, the tasting menu and all the staff.Special Features:
- Really fabulousCBBBBVIPDined on 21/6/2014Loved all the dishes on the tasting menu - don't think you shoud go there unless you commit to the tasting menu otherwise you miss too much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surroundings at DabbousDaniellemzDined on 17/6/2014...went for a weekday lunch to Dabbous. It is a lovely place and the food is good. There is only the choice of a set-menu (£28) unfortunately, so if you are not willing to spend big on your lunch this is not for you. But if you do not care then this is a good place to go to and the variety of the set menu has something for everybody. Elegant staff and clean/trendy surroundings with very comfortable room climate. Perfect for business lunches and dinners.Special Features:
- DelicatemushypeasDined on 17/6/2014Was there for my friend's birthday. Food was exceptional. I love the modern fitting so you can relax. Accommodate special request on allergy very well. Instead of the menu, they tailor-made something else for me due to allergy. The poached cod was amazing. I had better smoked salmon but still very good. Already made another booking to go back.Special Features:
- Lunch menu is disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/6/2014We've went to Dabbous restaurant for lunch since there was no way to get a dinner sit. We chose the lunch tasting menu over the full tasting menu (no a la cart option). The food was Ok, Not something you expect from a decorated restaurant like Dabbous, The price is Ok for lunch (29 pound each for the menu + quite expensive wine list). Bottom line - it was Ok, no more. If you're going at noon, ask for the full tasting menu - I guess it will be much better.
- Food lived up to the hypeCBBBBVIPDined on 7/6/2014Really terrific menu and cocktail bar! Can't wait for my next visit (but will have to given how hard it is to get a table!)Special Features:
- DABBOUS TASTICALANHDined on 6/6/2014GREAT FOOD - I HAD THE TASTING MENU - EXCELLENT SERVICE AND SOMETHING INTERESTING FOR YOUR PALLETTE ON EVERY COURSE. I WILL RETURN FOR ANOTHER SPECIAL MEALSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is a perfect lunchGarySageDined on 6/6/2014Quite arguably the best taster menu food we have ever experienced in London. Being in Dabbous is like going to a party where everything is so cool that you want time to stop so you never have to leave. The food is oh so cleverly executed, sublime to the point of genius and original - each dish flows perfectly - the ultimate sequence of flavour and foodie fun. I cannot fault this food experience. Decor is basic funky and the service is attentive and a little loose.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencehowdy84Dined on 5/6/2014After having finally gotten a reservation at Dabbous, my expectations for the meal were quite high. I'm happy to say that in terms of the food, my expectations were easily met. We had the tasting menu and while the dishes weren't always complex and the techniques weren't unimitable, they frequently combined flavors in ways I wouldn't have thought of myself. The only complaint we had was with the service. We were seated 15 minutes after our reservation time and frequently had to refill our own wine and water. Neither of these are complaints that ruined our night, but I feel like we were paying for a five star meal and while the food lived up to that, the service did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to celebrate a birthdaylupitaDined on 4/6/2014We had the tasting menu and found all dishes very original in texture and flavour. We highly recommend this restaurant and would go back. Service was well paced and staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Not up to the expected standardphil44Dined on 3/6/2014All I had read about Dabbous heightened my expectations and I was really excited at the prospect of my meal, but the reality was in the end rather a let down. The decor & service as described my many others were OK, but the food never really lived up to what we've come to expect of a restaurant at this level. All in all, not a disaster, just not fantastic.
- Lunch at DabbousSGLUVIPDined on 22/5/2014My friend had recommend Dabbous so I booked a table in advance as I was aware of how popular it was. We had a set menu for lunch and it was truly divine. They catered for all allergies and gluten-free and made the experience really enjoyable. There was not one dish I didn't love. Service was impeccable. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a letdownMalaysianFoodieNgDined on 14/5/2014After much urging from a hardcore gourmet to try out this place, I made reservation for 4 pax and travelled 13 hours to eat here. The experience was A letdown. My cod was over salted and I spat it out after my first bite. Being Asian, I am accustomed to very seasoned fare and food with a fair amount of salt but this was way too salty. One waiter was defiant and claimed that the chef did not add salt at all. I recommended that the chef tried it for himself and another waiter returned apologized and said that particular portion served to me was somehow over salted. The other dishes food were generally pleasant but not particularly awe inspiring tasty such that one would vow to come back.Special Features:
- canuckfoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014The £28 four course lunch special is a fantastic deal. We had a great time, and enjoyed the food very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor night outSWfromW8Dined on 8/5/2014Not a place to hang around: the decor is a little on the hard side for our liking. Efficient service, but not exactly friendly. We were rushed through the meal and that made it a less than wonderful experience. Shame, as the food was excellent. Would come again but not sure its' worth the booking slog.Special Features:
- Worth itJdubsDined on 8/5/2014Deserves the reviews and reputation. Excellent value for top class food. Wine recommendations spot on too. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Bday excellenceCleary459Dined on 1/5/2014A sublime experience that combined good food and attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dabbous DelightsingaporefoodieDined on 29/4/2014Delicate, subtle, innovative, excellent lunch value - Dabbous ticks all the boxes!Special Features:
- Worth it? Yes!EMacDined on 29/4/2014The set lunch was excellent value with the set lunch almost mimicking the tasting menu. The warm sourdough which came in a paper bag was one of the best i've eaten in a long time. Best dish of the day was the pulled veal breast with shaved raw white asparagus and summer truffles. Too delish to ever forget. The coddled egg with mushrrom was another unforgetable dish. A let down maybe that the dishes were not heated enough before plating so the food was lukewarm by the time it hit the table. Small quibble for the quality dished up.Special Features: