Davy's St James
London, SW1Y 6QYNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Davy's St James
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davy.co.uk/stjames
- Phone: 02078398831
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 12pm - 3:00pm, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Wine
A word from Davy's St James
A short walk from Green Park tube station, Davy’s St James, a traditional wine bar and restaurant, really couldn’t boast a better location. One of a popular London mini-chain, Davy’s offers a fabulous atmosphere, great food and excellence in wine developed over almost 150 years in the industry. The styling of Davy’s St James focuses very much on the history both of the setting and the brand, the surroundings giving the impression of a meeting place that has been here for many, many years. So you’ll find a cosy spot in which to escape the busy streets, complete with candlelit tables, sawdust covered floors and shelving lined with bottles in truly traditional style. From midday onwards Davy’s St James offers a superb Modern European a la carte menu, featuring numerous delicious dishes as well as a fine selection of hot and cold bar snacks. However, the real talking point here is the wine, an excellent selection of own label drops plus vintage and modern fine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Davy's St James reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since 25 October 2013
business meals (18)group bookings (9)special occasions (8)pre/post theatre (8)fit for foodies (8)romance (5)brunch (4)outstanding value (4)sunday lunch (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Old School English Dining ExperiencIainDined on 26/6/2014A great traditional old school English dining experience - the best Bangers and Mash in town and their Old Wallop in pewter mugs is the best. Evenings seemed quiet though and staff were sparse leading to only fair service, probably more of a lunch time spot.Special Features:
- good dealdelish2Dined on 16/5/2014Very pleasant evening; good food and service. Thank you Davy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ValueGGPtrsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent value with 50% offer. Good courgette and mint soup and excellent sirloin steaks cooked exactly as ordered.Special Features:
- Cool dark cellarRocketRobDined on 24/4/2014We dined because of a 50 per cent discount offer via OpenTable. The service was very friendly - professional and courteous. The food itself was pretty good. Our starters were lovely. I had haddock and poached egg. My partner had carpaccio. Both were very tasty. I had sausage and mash with a red wine gravy. The sausages were large and tasty and there was plenty of mash, but I was disappointed that there wasn't very much of the gravy - I felt like I had to 'save' it rather than being able to mash it into my potato. As such, I felt that my dish was a little dry. It was still good - just not exceptional.Special Features:
- DisappointedsaphtaVIPDined on 23/4/2014This was our third visit to Davy's and unfortunately this time wasn't as good as previously. I don't know what went wrong but our booking was for 5.30pm and the two dishes I wanted i.e. the Brie and PotatoTartlet as a starter and the Lamb as main had both run out as had other dishes. I can understand this happening late in the Evening but not at 5.30. The waitresses and service however are first class. We will go there again and hope that this was a "one off" bad evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaultlessIanJLondonDined on 22/4/2014Nothing at all to criticise. Steaks superb, staff attentive, excellent all round.Special Features:
- Nice dining experiencedomilouDined on 16/4/2014We were a party of six( 4 adults and 2 teennagers) coming from Belgium. We had a great time there and the food was excellent. We had reserved a 50% on food deal which made an outstanding value. To be highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehchickenlickyDined on 11/4/2014It was a nice evening and the service was excellent. I was really disappointed by the food.
- Davy's St James - LunchPJ123Dined on 11/4/2014First time diner at this location. Attracted by the discounted price, but impressed with the experience. I will definitely return to this particular place, and hopefully stay a little longer.Special Features:
- Pretty goodlivetoeatDined on 4/4/2014Starters and mains were well cooked and on the whole well thought out and tasty. We enjoyed smoked salmon, scallops and lamb. The puddings were a little disappointing though. A chocolate pudding had been rather zealously nuked and came out dry with not enough coffee cream to resuscitate it. The highlight of the evening was our wonderful waitress Joanna. She was polite, charming and chatty without being overbearing. A real asset to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly wonderfulTwogirlsVIPDined on 3/4/2014I booked the 50% food offer, selecting the place half based on geography (half way between the workplaces of my friend and I) and the other half as I like good wine! The 2006 Bordeaux wine was priced very well - the 2 x markup was no where close to many other restaurants who charge 3 or 4 times retail. The food (we ordered steak) was outstanding and easily as good as many other steak restaurants in the Piccadilly area and again at a very competitive price. I cannot wait to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak and wineFoodieDined on 27/3/2014we had a wonderful dinner at Davy's which was very busy being a Friday night. atmosphere was buzzing and we had a quiet corner as it was dinner for two. we both had ribeye steak cooked to perfection. Service by Joanna was impeccable. the bottle of red wine complemented our meal nicely. joined the Davy's loyalty programme as I am sure I will be going to this restaurant many times in the futureSpecial Features:
- A good spot for a group gatheringKeenonvalueDined on 21/3/2014Great value with special offer meaning our group meal didn't break the bank - great location with buzzy young crowd. Food was generally good, with an excellent steak, pronounced best ever by the eater! This is not a pretentious spot, with a wine bar ambience - so fine if you want to meet up with a crowd after work and not everyone is eating. The service was friendly and efficient and they gave us a free bottle of champagne when they discovered it was a birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice venue, average foodJHLondonDined on 20/3/2014I had dinner at Davy's St James with two friends.The menu sounded nice but the pheasant I had was a bit dry. The wine is reasonably priced and extensive. Venue has great ambience - lots of "nooks and crannies" - great for meeting a small group of friends. I would go there again for a drink - it was a real find. However, I would probably only resort to eating there because a lot of tourists don't know the place. The staff had good knowledge of the menu but the menu did not include a wheat-free dessert which was disappointing for me, although I hadn't enquired when booking. There is a 2- and 3-course special price for the a l carte menu so you don't need to book for 50% off food, which equates to about the same cost.Special Features:
- Delicious dining at Davy's St JamesthefouramigosDined on 19/3/2014With two work colleagues I dined early evening at Davy's St James using the 50% off food deal from Top Table. This proved to be excellent value. Service was a little slow to begin with, considering there were not many diners at the time but very helpful. Of particular note: one of my friends is gluten intolerant and I had therefore alerted the restaurant when I completed the booking form - on arrival we were given a specially marked up version of the menu highlighting all the dishes that were (or could be prepared) as gluten free. We all felt this was really helpful. The menu was wide-ranging but we all opted for steaks - and they were fabulous! Definitely worth a visit!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in a weeksaphtaVIPDined on 19/3/2014Yes it was the second time in eight days that we have eaten at Davys. The bartender gave us a very warm welcome and we felt good from the start. The food was as good as the previous visit so we hadn't imagined it. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the Welsh Rarebit which really wasn't tasty at all. The waitress was delightful and even though there were not many people the layout of the restaurant does not give give this impression. Please continue with the 50% offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodieDined on 18/3/2014Lunch was excellent and we ate fish and chips. Service was professional and efficient. Great value and good choice of food. Will definitely go again. Enrolled for the loyalty card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, good foodjakoDined on 14/3/2014Great atmosphere, good food and friendly, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowsaphtaVIPDined on 12/3/2014It was our first time at Davy's and definitely wont be the last. Everything was perfect. The food was delicious, the service was great we had a delightful waitress who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The place was buzzing, possibly because there was also a private gathering there but I think even if it wasn't so busy the atmosphere would still have been good. We shall certainly visit again very soon but as we are 2 old age pensioners it will only be possible with the 50% discount. We do eat out once a week at toptable restaurant offers and this was one of our favourites. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DarkgastronautVIPDined on 10/3/2014A dimly lit cellar. Steaks excellent and good value with 50% offer. Unfortunately the waitress was unable to answer questions about the menu and service was generally slow. Dessert wine was unavailable despite being recommended on the menu and the crumble was identical to one we had from a supermarket chain at home the previous day. The custard was lukewarm. After 2.30 pm there were very few diners.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badrhysoh1Dined on 7/3/2014Only downside to Davy's was walking through the door, it was a little bit confusing with no one to greet you as you came in. When we got downstairs it just looked like a busy pub, after we got attention we were taken to the table that was out of the way of all the noise. The waitress was very very good had brilliant customer service skills ,made us feel welcome and not ignored. Food was brilliant! Only down side is that the starters could have been less fancy ! A Simple dish for a starter would have been good. Main course was really good:) overall I would go back again and recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night outRosiDined on 5/3/2014Food was lovely, really good service and great wine.. We loved the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steaksIanJLondonDined on 27/2/2014Everything was excellent, am I at 50 characters yetSpecial Features:
- Stunning SteakSilverJubileeDined on 21/2/2014Great value for money, particularly with the special offers currently available. The best steak I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch without the extrasOxfordDined on 15/11/2013Four of us had a jolly lunch here, three steaks perfectly cooked and a delicious pheasant, washed down with a hearty bottle of red wine. The sting in the tail came with the bill when each sauce which accompanied the steaks was charged seperately. However it was an enjoyable lunch in a cosy atmosphere and I would recommend it. Just check what are "extras".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Davy's St James reviews archive.
- Excellent meal and wine listRubesVIPDined on 12/9/2013Excellent meal and wine list but service was very slow (again - second recent visit). However, quality of food won it for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team Lunch at Davy'sMish0Dined on 6/9/2013I was a bit sceptical about the location because some of the reviews mentioned "a basement". Yes it is underground but purposely I dare say as it is part of the ambience of a wine bar. With the 50% off deal this is really is the most outstanding value I have ever booked through top-table. I had a 220g amazing rare fillet which simply was melting for £15! Strong recommend and going back again until the offer lasts.Special Features:
- Davy St JamesHjj5Dined on 5/9/2013Good value with the 50% off and would recommend that deal to anyone. Bit pricy without it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulNKingDined on 5/9/2013The food was delicious, the service was outstanding. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DealBrisyDined on 23/8/2013Took advantage of 50% of food and found the food to be excellent. The last Toptable deal we went to (not this restaurant) was poor and so almost didn't take advantage of this offer. Would recommend this dealSpecial Features:
- Davy's St JamesAnnaVIPDined on 15/8/2013Davy's St James is a good place if you want great food, great ambience, great service and great value for you money, especially with Toptable's special offer. I also want to give the restaurant 10 extra stars for not adding service charge to the bill, they obviously know that their food and service is outstanding and does not need to fish for it, customers tip anyway. We certainly did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and value quite good,fredDined on 9/8/2013Food and value quite good, but lacked any atmosphere. Given that it is in a basement this lack made the venue seem unwelcoming. Would be good for lunch when I think it is much busier, evening would after the office worker have left would appear to be very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perhaps it's because it's AugustLondonerDined on 9/8/2013I thought the restaurant was a little empty, especially considering the location and the amazing Top Table deal. Perhaps it's because you can't get a mobile signal downstairs... and so it puts those off who are hooked to their smartphones rather than their dinner date. Or perhaps everyone's on holiday. The food was good. I had the fish and chips, which was so crunchy I practically broke the plate when my knife eventually went through the batter. Very tasty mushy peas too. My gin & tonic was decent and unfortunately went down too quickly, but I have to say it was a good size and not at all poncy. Overall, a good experience, made better by the amazing top table offer.Special Features:
- Met here with my adult soncupcakeVIPDined on 6/8/2013Met here with my adult son for a catch up. Friendly and helpful service, great steak and wine. Nice atmosphere to talk. Would defo go again and with the 50% offer great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itJulesDined on 21/6/2013Outstanding value with 3 lovely courses for £22.95, yes we spent a little more with champagne and wine but it was well worth it. Each course was perfectly proportioned so don't opt for just 2 courses wondering if you might not manage the dessert. A lovely evening in a restaurant that deserves 4 to 5 stars. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrinksSLSPDined on 9/11/2012We stopped here before dinner for some drinks. The wine list is very good and at a reasonable price. It is not loud and noisy so it's possible to have a conversation, but it is a buzzy atmosphere. A good find and a nice place to enjoy a good bottle of wine.Special Features:
- pubby warm environmentCatherineDined on 25/10/2012i would definitely go back nice woody pub good food great ambience
- one of the worst value forsmionDined on 23/10/2012one of the worst value for money options in town poor service
- An enjoyable meal with ansallyVIPDined on 1/8/2012An enjoyable meal with an impressive wine list. The staff were very attentive. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Hidden SecretLeoInLondonDined on 26/7/2012Davy's St James is nicely tucked away that you'll not be bombarded by wily tourists and not pretentious to feel like a members club. A basement pub that doesn't not ry too hard but has quality throughout; from its service to its food. It has a large wine selection but not so good witht he spirits (the rum selection consisted of either Bicardi or Navy's). Still, an enjoyable afternoon lunch that was filling and portions a plenty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.