Del Aziz - Bankside
5 Canvey Street
The Blue Fin Building
London, SE1 9ANNeighbourhood:
MediterraneanPrice: £25 and under
Del Aziz - Bankside
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.delaziz.co.uk/locations.php#bankside
- Phone: 02076330033
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 7:00am - 11:00pm
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun: 7:00am - 11:59pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Moroccan, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Del Aziz - Bankside
Close to London Bridge tube, the Bankside branch of Del Aziz on Canvey Street is a hive of activity. This bustling delicatessen and brasserie has a posh Middle Eastern marketplace vibe, and the piles of glossy fruit, chocolates and fresh pastries make Del Aziz a cosy spot to enjoy business breakfasts, mint tea breaks, leisurely lunches and candlelit dinner parties. With chunky wooden tables, fresh flowers and a buzzy crowd, the restaurant is run by dynamic husband and wife duo Shahrokh and Zehra Parvin and the hearty, home cooked menu includes classics such as the spongy semolina Berber pancakes for breakfast served with honey and roasted almonds; the Israeli couscous salad for lunch; and the tuna burger with honey, harissa and sumac.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Del Aziz - Bankside reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since 23 May 2014
group bookings (13)outdoor eating (9)pre/post theatre (8)business meals (8)brunch (7)special occasions (6)afternoon tea (6)romance (6)sunday lunch (5)good vegetarian options (4)child friendly (3)outstanding value (3)fit for foodies (3)disabled access (1)Show More
- Super summer evening at Del AzizJHodDined on 1/8/2014This restaurant is so handy for Tate Modern. We had an evening booking and the restaurant was relatively quiet. The staff were lovely and very helpful, the menu is pleasant though there could be more vegetarian options. The food is tasty and good value and drinks are averagely priced. There is seating outside for those who prefer but we were inside at a nice table. Do look at the sweets available as some are spectacular! This was not my first visit to this restaurant and will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Del Aziz - BanksidePaulVIPDined on 27/7/2014Great place for an evening meal outside after a long day. Food was tasty and service very good.Special Features:
- nice findEckersDined on 14/7/2014I'm been to the Fulham one before but never the Blue Fin. It's a more modern affair but the food and service are still good and the prices too.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceBrian260158Dined on 10/7/2014The Thursday Steak special had run out of stock. They we're SO obliging to provide an alternative that we would be pleased with. Very welcome alternative to the usual corporate unhelpful ness.Special Features:
- Tasty and enjoyableJohnDined on 22/5/2014A lunchtime meal before visiting the nearby Tate Modern. Persian Chicken Shish and Moroccan Lamb Shish both very tasty and enjoyable. Friendly service, and they remembered us from our one previous visit. Quite busy, and even a little noisy, compared with an early evening visit before. Recommended for North African / Eastern Mediterranean cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Del Aziz used to be a favouriteIMdinerVIPDined on 13/5/2014I haven't been to Del Aziz for a while but used to love it. This time though it was really disappointing. The bread was stale, they halved the portion sizes, rice salad tasted of nothing as there was no dressing or seasoning at all, not even the humus and roasted vegetables on my sandwich were tasty. Only the falafels were really yummy. Everything is far too expensive for what it is. Won't be returning for a while!Special Features:
- DiniDined on 10/5/2014Good Lebanese /meditaranean food. slightly expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service! excellent meal!londondinerDined on 1/5/2014Great service by friendly efficient staff and excellent meal deal. Perfect for Globe perfoirmances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- monbelDined on 30/4/2014I took a vegan to lunch here after going to Tate Modern, attracted by what seemed like an excellent choice of dishes on their on-line menu. Many however seemed to be unavailable when we were there and we had to ask for, for instance, a vegetable couscous; when it finally arrived it was minus either a sauce or broth or some harissa. Service was haphazard and some of the waiting staff were very inexperienced and didn't know the menu. The food when it finally came was good but it was a frustrating and rather patchy experience overall, and not particularly good value for the money.Special Features:
- KermitDined on 28/4/2014The service was really excellent. The staff were so helpful, especially my friend realised that she had ordered a dish with tomatoes to which she was allergic. The immediately offered to change this - without charge. The location was very accessible - especially from Tate Modern, where we had just been. The decor was lovely - very Middle Eastern but not overdone or kitsch. The food was delicious and the meze provided dishes of just the right quantities. Definitley worth another visit!!Special Features:
- Nice meal with Mum Sis and B in lawChelseaBenDined on 4/4/2014Had a very nice meal on a Friday evening and the place was quite when we arrived. Relaxing meal and not rushed but attentive helpful and friendly service. Charcuterie platter was OK, Then chose from mezze, very good. Finished with a puddings platter picked from a great choice, Sis even took away a giant Strawberry meringue. Had good Champagne cocktails to start good Red (forgot which one) with dinner and Prosecco with puds!Special Features:
- Excellent lamb tagineJohnDined on 5/3/2014Before a performance at the nearby Globe theatre we enjoyed their Wednesday tagine + wine offer, which was very good value. The lamb tagine was tasty and well-cooked. Had a delicious gateau for dessert but the portion was really much too large. Very pleasant and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lunch of vegetarianMearsieDined on 1/3/2014We had a lunch of vegetarian mezze and bread which was nice but needed a bit more variety. Service was nothing special and they missed out on selling us desert by not bothering to ask us if we would like anything else for 20 minutes after clearing away the main plates! Would maybe try again if I was in the area but wouldn't go out of my way
- Business DinnerCas57Dined on 20/2/2014Myself and nine colleagues had dinner here on Thursday 20th Feb. We were made very welcome and it was not too noisy. The wooden benches were not that comfortable and not very elegant to get on and off, but we had plenty of space which was good. The meze we ordered to start was lovely, with plenty for everyone. We actually ordered two vegetarian and one meat meze but got a charcuterie plate instead of the meat meze, but it was fine. The main courses were enjoyed by everyone. Unfortunately my chicken tagine was very late arriving, and the waitress promised me a free desert to make up for this, However, the meal was so filling that I simply had no room for a desert which was a shame as they looked gorgeous.Special Features:
- I took my wife for on valentineLimboDined on 14/2/2014I took my wife for on valentine night as they had a reasonable non-rip offer. Both starters were and my Tagine was excellent. The gripes we had was that was that we wasn't given option of non valentine set menu and the substition for my wife's desert as she was lactose intolarant was a bit too basic . Service was friendly. Would go again for their tagine+wine offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fantastic time.MandoDined on 14/2/2014I'm a bit late in writing this but had such a great time that night that I wanted to. I'd left booking a table on Valentines night a little late, so the choices were limited when I eventually tried to find an independent unique restaurant in the area (post wine tasting date.) I was very pleasantly surprised. I was unsure at first as this is a chain but the ambience was just right, we got to choose our table although it was a very busy night nd the food was delcious. Most of all the staff and manageress were extremely attentive and helpful and even accommodated for my difficult dietary requirements with the three set course. I'd definitely reccommend Del Azi, Bankside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambienceElTurcoDined on 20/12/2013Cous cous was good but meat was served as skewers on top not cooked together. And the chcken skewer was not to be eaten at all. Smiley nice belly dance show was the high light...Special Features:
- Disappointing lunchOmnomDined on 19/12/2013I've dined a few times at del aziz bermondsey branch and the food although not outstanding is still enjoyable. When I saw that the bankside branch is having 50% discount on ala carte menu, I thought it was a good deal! We ordered some mezz and the Berber pancake, and were very disappointed. The stuffed squid was bland, tabouleh was very small and quite dry, the Pancakes were soggy. The banana and pear cake was the only thing palatable. So, ok for tea and dessert but not for proper food.Special Features:
- Mixed bag of everythingHolgerDined on 11/12/2013Del Azuz - sounds like the middle east. well yes and no. You will find the odd Tagine on the menue, among burgers, pasta and everything else international cuisine has to offer. If this doesn't bother you, then the restaurant is actually quite good value for money.Special Features:
- Secret soul in Banksideluv4thamesDined on 9/12/2013De Aziz offers a welcome oasis amongst the cold Blue Fin building complex on Bankside. Always a great vibe, good service and really good food. The tagines are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazig placemarkDined on 7/12/2013My wife and I ,were already there a couple of moth ago,but it was so beautiful !Was her ,almost as a surprise to want to come back to celebrate his birthday, she said , passing in front returnig from work she start to noticed a lot of changes ,and hence came the desire to try again...and yes was not wrong We had the table at 20:30 on saturday night,the restaurant was pretty full but, quicly approcing us a girl helena the manager ,she had the time to lean on the table sagging ,putting pleasantly ease , and tryng to get to know our tastes and our desires ,we take a dish to share ,i must say very good and two delicious cocktail First of all wow spectacular place in christmas style ,atmosphere cozy and warm .exellent service amazing staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great, won't be trying againLondonerDined on 7/12/2013We had high hopes on arrival, with a beautiful array of cakes & desserts in the window, & a table next to us tucking in to big burgers. But we were there for the Eastern Mediterranean experience... Mixed meze platter was disappointing, "ideal for 2 to share" they are not wrong, like Noahs Ark there was 2 of everything, literally, and small portions at that. Dips went to waste as not enough of anything to mix it with. My partner had a wine, I opted for Root juice - its rare to see a restaurant to serve a juice so thought I would try it. Wish I hadn't, it was rank with far too much ginger in it, made me and my dining partner gag. Mains, Lamb tagine was nice, but the fish of the day was overcooked & dry. Terrible. Left feeling underwhelmed.
- Great Food and ServicePandaDined on 1/12/2013Starters were more exciting and tasty than the main courses but good service and good value with the 50% deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAlexMoDined on 16/11/2013Really nice food and drink, everything complimented each other. Staff couldnt be more attentiveSpecial Features:
- A tad underwhelmingdinerDined on 15/11/2013Went on a Friday evening with a 50% off voucher. They couldn't find our booking on arrival, but allocated us a seat by the window no problem (Restaurant was pretty empty). We ordered a mezze sharing platter to start, tagines for mains and some cocktails. Food was good, but i wouldn't pay full price for it. The drinks didn't arrive until our starters were already cleared. Mains were good and service was friendly. Atmosphere in the restaurant is nice.
- Great value for money!FoodieDined on 7/11/2013We visited on a Thursday evening and took advantage of the 3 course set menu. I say set menu, but you could choose the first two courses from almost all of the standard menu. The dessert could be chosen from the dessert cabinet. There was a wide range of desserts and be prepared for a very large portion. We couldn't finish ours and felt like the waitress thought we were rude but it was just too much. The carrot cake was also extremely dry. The rest of the food was good. The ambience was lacking due to it being a very empty restaurant. I think they must be busiest at lunchtime. That said, if you want a nice quiet meal that's good value for money, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday afternoon teaChrisMVIPDined on 4/10/2013Very pleasant to go with family for tea on Sunday afternoon. Nice break from our other activities and a chance to recharge our batteries. Very child friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 468 reviews are from the Del Aziz - Bankside reviews archive.
- Dinner in the Blue Fin BuildingSallyannie15Dined on 13/8/2013A group dinner which was enjoyed by everyone, great service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealLizLDined on 30/7/2013Nothing outstanding but consistently decent food. I think their meze and grilled dishes are rather better then the other options; sandwiches were a bit disappointing whereas I've never gone wrong sticking to the more Turkish side of the menu, which makes sense I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service and disappointing food!dee91Dined on 16/7/2013Recently booked here, really fancying some flavoursome middle eastern food which seemed to be the place's forté. Unfortunately I was let down on all fronts! The service was messy and slow from the start - we were served by different waiters, they seemed confused trying to locate the booking and the deal, and they weren't attentive to the table at all. We weren't the only ones - another group of diners left without eating because of the awful service, they said. The deal was 2 courses for £15, and when we finally got the right menu from which to order the variety wasn't fantastic and nor was the value. We ended up with flavourless dolma, an aubergine bake drowning in cheese and burnt chicken shish - all after a long wait. Do not recommend!
- Toptable offer at Del Azizgss1Dined on 8/7/2013This is very good value at £15 for 2 courses but if you have 3 it goes up to £22! £7 for a dessert is a bit steep... Great service and decent food. We even got the manager to talk to the parents of a very irritating toddler who kept playing with (as opposed to playing) the piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not brilliant.KathDined on 6/7/2013Service was not brilliant. Staff less than attentive when they realised that we were ordering from the special offers menu. We sat at one table and was totaly ignored until we moved and sat closer to the door. Special offiers should showcase service and food but in this case sadly failed. What happened to the belly dancing?Special Features:
- TastelessAzza112VIPDined on 28/6/2013The food was tasteless, had a microwave mass produced feel to it. The staff were ill informed about the 50% off offer. It wasn't even value for money with 50% off! The bread- which kept being offered to us was stale. Very disappointing!
- Lovely atmosphere bad serviceLizHDined on 23/6/2013I really like Aziz and the atmosphere there. They do make a great effort for it to look and feel authentic. It is just the service every time that let's it down. The waiting staff don't care, aren't proactive, and are very slow. It is disappointing.Special Features:
- Del AzizFoodlover123VIPDined on 31/5/2013A good place for a spot of lunch with colleagues or friends. The food is average but the outdoor dining makes it a great place for summer eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit disappointing...MissTDined on 27/5/2013Thought the 50% off the tasting menu would be a great deal for an afternoon lunch with a friend however, I had a bit of a shock when the bill came! Despite it being stated on the toptable website that this offer could be used for 1-6 people we found when we arrived that this was not the case and can only be used for a minimum 2 people! So effectively we ended up paying full price. Particularly, seeing as though the food was an edible average (although the desserts were amazing), neither of us was really impressed. If you are after a quick munch for nothing special this place is great as the atmosphere was quite nice and has an authentic look and feel. However, for any other purpose I would not be my first choice recommendation.Special Features:
- pre theatre mealTheatregoerDined on 18/5/2013We booked this in advance for 4 people. the bill was haggled over and we ended up paying far more than the deal had led us to believe. we mad eit clear from the booking that we wanted to leave by 7.15 our main meal had not arrived by 7.00 even though we arrived before 6.30 this left us all very anxious. We will not be going again
- Tasting menu, Del AzizdormouseVIPDined on 11/5/2013Good value for hungry people on the 50% offer, but not for foodies - starters OK but standard; mains OK as basic nosh; puddings rather disappointing.
- AverageDinerDined on 10/5/2013We booked a table for 6 on a Friday night, choosing the '2 courses for £15' via toptable. When we mentioned this to our waiter they brought us a 'special menu' with very little and unattractive choices. Very disappointing as the special menu was not noted anywhere when we booked. In the end we ordered from the regular dinner menu. The food was ok but nothing special and my tagine of lamb shank with prunes and almonds had hardly any almonds or prunes. Compliments for the desert though! Still, don't think I will visit again soon...
- We opted for the tasting menunosherDined on 10/5/2013We opted for the tasting menu at 50% off and on paper it looked excellent. However after the meze dishes, that were ok if a little small, the main tagine course was very disppointing. One chicken leg in some watery sauce supposedly for two people, with four small meat balls, again intended for two. Very disappointing. The drinks were good value as it was happy hour, but overall food quality and quantity poor. Service fine.Special Features: